TC 2015: IS THIS THE BEST ROOKIE CAMP ROSTER EVER?

The 2010 Oilers rookie camp roster is the best we’ve seen in the post-Stanley era. This year’s group has a chance to produce a generational talent and a whole helluva lot of defensemen. Can it eclipse 2010?

THE 2010

1. R Jordan Eberle—Now at 356 NHL games.
  2. D Jeff Petry—Now at 314 NHL games.
  3. L Taylor Hall—Now at 299 NHL games.
  4. L Magnus Paajarvi—Now at 228 NHL games.
  5. C Chris VandeVelde—Now at 118 NHL games.
  6. D Martin Marincin—Now at 85 NHL games.
  7. L Teemu Hartikainen—Now at 52 NHL games.
  8. R Tyler Pitlick—Now at 27 NHL games.
  9. D Brandon Davidson—Now at 12 NHL games.
  10. D Alex Plante—10 NHL games.
  11. L Phil Cornet—1 NHL game.
  12. D Johan Motin—1 NHL game.
  13. C Milan Kytnar—1 NHL game.
  14. L Curtis Hamilton—1 NHL game
  15. G Tyler Bunz—1 NHL game.

I wrote about this group here, they’ll always have a special place in my heart. That’s a lot of talent, including impact wingers Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle along with a fine NHL defender in Jeff Petry. It didn’t turn out as planned for many of these kids but a guy like VandeVelde found a way and good for him.

THE 2015

1. G Laurent Brossoit—Never bet on a goalie, but he has nice arrows.
  2. G Eetu Laurikainen—Can’t wait to see how good he is.
  3. G Keven Bouchard—Junior goalie will get a look in Penticton
  4. G Jordan Papirny—Confirmation of attendance on Guy Flaming’s Pipeline Show
  5. D Darnell Nurse—Someone’s worst nightmare, and he’s an Oiler!!!
  6. D Ben Betker—Big, strong, pretty fast. Raw, interesting blue
  7. D Joey Laleggia—I bet he rocks Penticton
  8. D Caleb Jones—Turned heads at Orientation camp. Very mobile.
  9. D Ethan Bear—The beginning of a big year for 2015 pick.
  10. D Kevin Davis—Mobile defender, NHL.com lists him as TC invite
  11. D Colton Waltz—Tough defender. NHL.com lists him as TC invite
  12. D Loik Leveille—There’s a chance they sign him. NHL.com list
  13. C Connor McDavid—We’ll remember this fall for a long, long time.
  14. C Leon Draisaitl—Leon AND McDavid at rookie camp is unfair.
  15. C Kyle Platzer—I think he may see time on the wing. Watch for this guy.
  16. C Alexis Loiseau—Penticton will be a great opportunity for him to show well
  17. C Marco Roy—He played well at rookie camp during normal times a year ago.
  18. C Tyler Soy—Skill F, NHL.com lists him as TC invite
  19. C Cole Linaker—C from the WHL, NHL.com lists him as TC invite
  20. L Anton Slepyshev—The best winger on the team if Leon stays at pivot
  21. L Kale Kessy—May be in Penticton due to lost 2014-15 season
  22. L Connor Rankin—Rugged winger can score.
  23. L Braden Christoffer—Tough, undersized and skilled.
  24. R Greg Chase—Enormous opportunity for this young man. I bet he’s ready right now.
  25. F Rihards Bukarts—Little ball of something else. NHL.com lists him as TC invite
  26. R Cole Sanford—Outstanding scorer, on the NHL.com list.

All of the invites (underlined) are listed by NHL.com  here and here. Is this a better list than the 2010 group? Probably, based on all we know right now about McDavid. The great thing for Oilers fans? These two clusters are piled one on another. It’s too bad more of those 2010 kids aren’t here to enjoy the party. Godspeed to all of them—both lists—as they head out to camps across the pro leagues this fall.

26 Responses to "TC 2015: IS THIS THE BEST ROOKIE CAMP ROSTER EVER?"

1. pts2pndr says:

It is not even close! Penticton should be the beginning of something very special! The long wait is finally over!

2. Магия 10 says:

Ah the 2010 Training Camp when HEP was in the air.
    (Omark joined them at main camp).

DMN-ation for the rest of the division is just around the corner.

3. Younger Oil says:

I think 2015 has a higher top end (which is really saying something), and the 2010 group will have a higher combined career GP in 15-20 years.

I wish they’d invite a few AHL sophomores like they have in the past instead of inviting so many undrafted players, but it’s understandable I suppose. Yakimov and Reinhart in addition to Brossoit would be nice to see.

4. steveb12344 says:

When does Penticton start anyways?

Just 27 more sleeps until actual NHL preseason games. ( 28 until the OILERS play.)

WOOOOOOOT!

5. LadiesloveSmid says:

Магия 10:
    Ah the 2010 Training Camp when HEP was in the air.
    (Omark joined them at main camp).

DMN-ation for the rest of the division is just around the corner.

now we’ve got Hall, Yak, McD, Eberle, and Nuge.

HYMEN!

eh. we’ll think of it

6. G Money says:

LadiesloveSmid: now we’ve got Hall, Yak, McD, Eberle, and Nuge.

HYMEN!

eh. we’ll think of it

This team could be good this fall. That’s practically virgin territory.

7. Ice Sage says:

G Money: This team could be good this fall.That’s practically virgin territory.

They’ll be bloody good.

It’s all McDavid – sans AHJ, 2010 is better, even with (face)Plante

8. fifthcartel says:

I absolutely can’t wait till any sort of Oiler’s hockey.

9. Магия 10 says:

LadiesloveSmid: now we’ve got Hall, Yak, McD, Eberle, and Nuge.

HYMEN!

eh. we’ll think of it

Looking forward to Yak putting it all together so the lottery winners can all sign from the same HYMN book.

10. Dicky94 says:

Nice to see a couple Wheaties get invites. I can see Bukarts turning some heads. He was fun to watch last year. Speed, skill and goes straight for the net every shift.

11. Klima's_Bucket says:

I’m looking forward to seeing Darnell Nurse slam Johnny Gaudreau into the glass ad infinitum.
    Getting back years and years of revenge from the Hemsky/Regehrs ears fiasco.

12. RexLibris says:

Is this the confirmed list for Penticton?

RexLibris:
    Is this the confirmed list for Penticton?

No. It’s just what I’ve gathered (and in some cases like Brossoit) assumed.

14. rickithebear says:

Observations of an Editor:
    My wife laughs that my attention and likely most on this blog is kept by this 1 of 2 recent lists made public.
    Yet classic phrases repeat on both

I can not wait to see…….

15. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: No. It’s just what I’ve gathered (and in some cases like Brossoit) assumed.

I did a who’s who of Oiler prospects last year for FN readers and would like to do the same this year, expanded to include the Canucks and Jets. The problem is timing – finding out the rosters and then getting something done up in time for publishing on short notice.

16. RexLibris says:

Found this today: http://imgur.com/gallery/mzd5I5n

Figured either WG or GMoney could be Kirk.

Nikitin, Ference and Schultz could be the other three.

17. Yeti says:

rickithebear:
    Observations of an Editor:
    My wife laughs that my attention and likely most on this blog is kept by this 1 of 2recent lists made public.
    Yet classic phrases repeat on both

I can not wait to see…….

Enigmatic Bear
    Scattered clues in tangled words
    We may never know

18. G Money says:

RexLibris:
    Found this today: http://imgur.com/gallery/mzd5I5n

Figured either WG or GMoney could be Kirk.

Nikitin, Ference and Schultz could be the other three.

Heh heh. I’m feeling very Kirk-like. I just squashed an aggravating bug in my NHL data parsing code that for months now has been preventing me from converting the 2011 season. F**KING UNICODE.

When farting around with this stuff, you find the weirdest data busts. For example, my code kept choking on game #259 of 2011. Why oh why? Made no sense.

Until you actually pull up the source data:

Ah.

F**KING NHL!!!

19. G Money says:

Wow, in an industry with 91,000 laid off, it’s bizarre that the first person interviewed in this article worked at my little company.

20. Bruce McCurdy says:

L Kale Kessy—May be in Penticton due to lost rookie season

Except it was his sophomore season. We won’t be seeing Kessy I wouldn’t imagine.

Bruce McCurdy:
    L Kale Kessy—May be in Penticton due to lost rookie season

Of course, thanks for catching it. I still think we’ll see an enforcer, wonder if Moroz gets the call.

22. Bootstrap Effexor says:

G Money:

Little three-year-old shepherdess Heidi Lamar with the olive complexion and matching mud boots?

WOOT!

I’m hot today! Personal high score coming up …

But—dang it!—you soon discover that you actually have to practice your cheating for a long time, as even an unfair advantage takes a year to perfect.

23. rickithebear says:

age based EVen NHLE from last year.
    NHL league rank for each

Bukarts (.43) 14EVG (97th) 17 EVA (101) 31 EVP (108)

Sanford (.395) 18 EVg (41st) 15 EVA (120) 33 EVP (94) Top 6

Soy (.60) 22 EVG (13th) 23 EVA (58) 45 EVP (27) top 30 playeer

24. G Money says:

Bootstrap Effexor: I’m guessing this entire season never ceases to feel like you’ve just found your favourite pinball machine in some dusty arcade, and the tilt switch is 95% insensate.

Pretty much. Whatever is the opposite of fun.

25. admiralmark says:

Sept 11th-14th Young Stars Tournament in Penticton. Have my VIP seats for every game.. cant wait!

26. Truth says:

Any Oilers training camp that included McDavid’s name would be considered the best ever. McDavid + the roster of the St.Albert Bruins Junior C team = Best ever OIlers training camp roster.