RE 15-16 ANDERS NILSSON: VENUS

Peter Chiarelli did a lot of work this summer, adding strength and competition up the middle. In goal, his big play was acquiring Cam Talbot as the likely No. 1 for 2015-16. At the draft, he spent a late pick on a long shot. His ‘in the middle’ move came in acquiring Anders Nilsson. He’s an excellent bet who could be an Oiler for years, or we may not seem him after September 30.

ANDERS NILSSON RE 15-16: 10GP, 2.80 .903

1. So, we have the GF-GA totals? Not quite, EN goals factor. I’ll have a story tomorrow morning about the projections and how I see the 2015-16 Oilers.
  2. Stringing this out are we? Meh, just trying to get us through summer without hammering the walls red.
  3. Tell me about Anders Nilsson. He’s a reasonable bet, one of four this summer for Edmonton (Talbot, Nilsson, Eetu Laurikainen, Miroslav Svoboda).
  4. Tell me about Anders Nilsson. He’s HUGE, 6.05, 227 according to various online sources. He tore the cover off the ball in the KHL, but so did Emil playing for Ak-Bars.
  5. Why did he come back to North America? It sounds like the player wanted to have another lash at the NHL, and he did say the bigger league is his goal. Nilsson“I have done for three years in the AHL and I do not think it would be good for my development to play a fourth year in the AHL, That’s what I’ve said to them, since we have not started to go into contract negotiations.” (this was with CHI)
  6. What is his scouting report? Goalie guru Kevin Woodley: “His size is his strength. He has a really good athletic base, he moves very well for his size. That is the strength, the weakness, at least early in his career in the NHL was that he moved too much. When you are that big and that long and you move too much you are opening up holes. Pucks go through you as opposed to using your size effectively, and you tend to open up and create more holes than you need to.” Source
  7. Sounds like Devan Dubnyk. Yes, that’s fair.
  8. Chiarelli made a good trade. He sent Liam Coughlin, a distant bell as a prospect, for a guy who may well push for an NHL job. Good lord man, that’s a five-run homer!
  9. Why such a small price? No idea. There were rumors the Bruins had interest earlier in the summer, but the ‘Hawks dealt him to Edmonton. It was a nice surprise for Oilers fans, and really points out the change in attitude from the past.
  10. How so? The Oilers spent YEARS fretting over losing Jeff Deslauriers to waivers and cost themselves depth and training camp battles because of it. We’re staring an actual battle for jobs square in the face this fall, and have Peter Chiarelli to thank for it.
  11. What’s the most exciting thing about him? A .936 save percentage in the back yard is exciting, this guy did it in the KHL. He might not be the second coming of Tim Thomas but this is at the very least a compelling curio for Oilers camp.
  12. What are the odds he beats out Ben Scrivens for the backup job? Not huge, I have Scrivens winning the job, Nilsson heading to the AHL and then (at some point) PC trading Ben to another NHL team, possibly at the deadline.
  13. The numbers you’ve applied to these two G’s suggests you don’t see them as long term options. I think that’s the reasonable bet, yes. Remember though, goalies are very difficult to track year over year, so we wait.
  14. Do you think he’ll be in the organization past September? I have no answer, it’s a mystery.
  15. Why this song? It’s a perfect fit for Nilsson. It’s delightful, no idea what he’s on about.

56 Responses to "RE 15-16 ANDERS NILSSON: VENUS"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

He tore the cover off the ball in the KHL, but so did Emil playing for Ak-Bars.

Garipov did that .933 as a 23 year old.
    Both were free agents this summer.
    Garipov was the guy to sign there.
    And thats what Kazan did.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Mr DeBakey:
    He tore the cover off the ball in the KHL, but so did Emil playing for Ak-Bars.

Garipov did that .933 as a 23 year old.
    Both were free agents this summer.
    Garipov was the guy to sign there.
    And thats what Kazan did.

They are about a year and 5 months apart in age.

I’m not sure age is going to shed that much daylight between these two players.

3. Hammers says:

Will we ever get back on track with a decent goalie pair ? Still up for debate I think .

4. Mr DeBakey says:

In 4 KHL seasons Garipov has
    .941 .932 .952 .933

To be fair, probably against the easier teams.
    Sucks so far this season though

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Worth mentioning, Nilsson played 20 playoff games last year (a pretty sizeable sample!) and was basically on par with his regular season sv%

6. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Mr DeBakey: In 4 KHL seasons Garipov has
    .941 .932 .952 .933

Is there an NHLe for goalies coming from the KHL? Those are amazing numbers. 952? Wow!

7. Klima's_Bucket says:

One thing I haven’t seen talked about today on this site is the Habs adding Craig Ramsay to the fold.
    I wonder if we’ll see the Habs D sliding on their bellies when the puck is in the corner.

Klima’s_Bucket:

I’m happy for Ramsay, unhappy it’s the Habs. Go Petry!

9. Ryan says:

Klima’s_Bucket:

Lmfao. You killed me with this post. My wife is wondering why I can’t stop laughing.

10. Klima's_Bucket says:

No love for Gilbert?

11. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I’m happy for Ramsay, unhappy it’s the Habs. Go Petry!

Never thought I’d say this but I hope the Habs rip the Bruins a new one from now to perpetuity.
    Seriously. F^ck the Bruins.

12. Klima's_Bucket says:

Pouzar,

Why did you put that video up?

Surely by now you know I get teary eyed watching that.

13. Pouzar says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Pouzar,

Why did you put that video up?

Surely by now you know I get teary eyed watching that.

Scheeet…sorry man… 🙂

14. RexLibris says:

I don’t really pay much attention to baseball but I scanned the scoreboard over at TSN just now.

Astros 15

Yankees 0

Is that bad?

15. kinger_OIL says:

– Interesting read: certainly no shortage of hope when it comes to our G

– I’m most familiar with the: “Incumbent proven goalie, with a few younger ones with pedigree trying to push for games, or younger goalie who is emerging trying to supplant older established but sliding goalie, or former number one goalie who was injured trying to reestablish himself after new young goalie did well in his prolonged absence, or regular decent proven goalie traded to another team, learning his new teammates” : those are the G narratives in pre-season on good teams

– I can`t think of a team this year in the NHL with three 3 G who haven’t pissed a full pot in the NHL, as their top 3. Sure other teams G might have warts, and hope their G rebounds, or recovers from injury or their young guy emerges to steal the starting G from the incumbent, but none that relies on the magnitude of hope we seemingly are.

16. geowal says:

RexLibris:

Astros 15

Yankees 0

Is that bad?

It’s great!

17. LadiesloveSmid says:

RexLibris,

mets won 16-7 yesterday, jays beat the angels 15-3 the other day

I’m trying to get into baseball. I wanna go in depth but man there is too much to keep track of. Hockey is so simple.

18. geowal says:

kinger_OIL,

The problem last year was we only had 2 goaliehopefulls to bet on. Now, with a third goaliehopefull our odds improve substantially!

19. RexLibris says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    RexLibris,

mets won 16-7 yesterday, jays beat the angels 15-3 the other day

20. geowal says:

RexLibris,

Depending on your allegiances (doesn’t sound like there are any) this year may be the year to get into it. Should get as close as it ever gets to “buzz ” watching ball in western Canada.

21. RexLibris says:

geowal:
    RexLibris,

I’d always kind of had a soft spot for the Expos because they weren’t Toronto, although I did watch Carter hit the homerun back in 1990-whatever-it-was.

If I had to pick a team to cheer for I’d probably go with the Cubs – I feel like I could identify with that kind of fan base. And it’d be pretty cool to cheer for a team that hasn’t won in over a century and may not win for another one yet.

22. kinger_OIL says:

Rex – hop on the Blue Jay bandwagon, its not too late (I know LT adores the Expos, as did I, but the Jays are sadly the only game in town): tell people you are old-school: throw around a few names like Bell, Moseby, Alomar, Stieb, Henke. Tell people that was the last time you watched the Jays, they will give you props: you are good to go.

23. LadiesloveSmid says:

RexLibris: Maybe I should just binge-watch Major League and Bull Durham? That’s a factual account of the sport, right?

angels in the outfield, rookie of the year.

all pretty serviceable documentaries I find

24. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

kinger_OIL,

If you’re going to drop names from the 90s Jays, there’s only 1 you need consider.

Kelly
    Fu#%ing
    Gruber

He played baseball, but his hair played hockey.

25. geowal says:

Joe Carter is pretty much my first baseball memory (though I know I was following along previous few years already when CbC would show weekend series). Been a long 22 years…

26. geowal says:

They won’t stay down!

27. RexLibris says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    kinger_OIL,

Kelly
    Fu#%ing
    Gruber

He played baseball, but his hair played hockey.

Hah, Gruber.

Friend of mine’s brother had a Gruber poster, wore his glove like Gruber, tried to swing the bat like Gruber. Everything.

Yeah, definitely hockey hair on a baseball player.

28. Suntory Hanzo says:

Great game! I’m fully on the bandwagon. Still rmember the 2 titles when I was in the Ed prgram at U of A.

Drove down to Seattle a few weeks ago to see the Jays. It’s like a home game there. Funny how a large portion of the Jays fans traveling from the lower mainland all look like hockey players. Their attendance was almost double usual for Jays.

You would think they would open more lanes at the border considering maybe upeards of 15,000 people are coming back across that night.

29. kinger_OIL says:

RexLibris,

True story – A friend of mine about 10 years or more ago, is in a bar in Toronto some randomn night during the week, drinking alone: he sees Kelly Gruber: says : `Your fuc%ing Kelly Gruber: they hit it off, talking about sports, have a bunch of drinks together, close the bar down.

Gruber asks my pal if he wants to continue drinking, they go back to his appartment, get more bombed up, he passes out on couch (no this isn`t that kind of story!).

Next morning buddy wakes up on the couch, and Kelly is brewing coffee in the kitchen: buddy texts me and says Kelly fuc&ing Gruber is making me a coffee!

Kelly gives him the coffee in a to go cup, and sends my buddy on his way!

30. geowal says:

Suntory Hanzo,

I’m sure the I-5 border is nuts, but I assure you it’s not just the lower Mainland down there. I’ve met just as many people down there from central BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc. The airlines make a killing that weekend (my plane this year was 60% already wearing their jersey), and plenty more take a week off and drive down from the same areas.
    Great game today, and that series in Seattle sure is fun too, too bad the trade dealine was after that weekend…

31. Cahoon says:

kinger_OIL:
    RexLibris,

: buddy texts me and says Kelly fuc&ing Gruber is making me a coffee!

Hilarious!

32. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

RexLibris,

My brother had a Gruber poster, totally loved the guy and everything.

Wait…. were we friends as kids? Because that would be weird.

Kelly Gruber… re uniting childhood friends and still being awesome.

Every time I say the name Kelly Gruber I just think of the MacGruber song. It fits him so damn well.

33. vishcosity says:

In 1980 we lived between Pape and Broadview just south of Queen. By the CnE stadium. Tickets to this expansion sack were $5 for seats behind 1st and it was at best maybe a third full.

No one thought for a minute that any collection featuring those clowns would ever win the AL east. Ever.

34. Wonder Llama says:

Based solely on goaltender musical connections, Talbot can’t compete with either Nilsson or Scrivens.

And seriously, LT, how can someone with the cool cred to reference bands like Television, Talking Heads, The Jam and Wire(!) possibly endorse such junk as that Ray Parker Jr. abomination?

So, so disappointed.

35. jonrmcleod says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Did you know that Klima’s twin sons are playing for the Moncton Wildcats?

36. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris:

Astros 15

Yankees 0

Is that bad?

Just a 2 score games if they make the 2 point conversion.

Wonder Llama:

So, so disappointed.

Meh. I explained why that song was chosen and offered a very good alternate track in the back and forth. I think the song Ghostbusters is very cool btw, but agree it doesn’t fit the theme. That said, Talbot’s association with the song was (imo) more compelling so I went with it.

38. Wonder Llama says:

Lowetide: I think the song Ghostbusters is very cool btw,

No. No you don’t. I refuse to believe this.
    I was a nightclub DJ in the 80s and had to field requests for that… song. (If you were ever in Choppy’s/Jack Daniel’s in Red Deer 1982-86 I was the guy spinning wax).

But “Mannequin.” “Down In the Tube Station At Midnight,” – I just can’t reconcile the chasm between tracks that great and… well, remember “Party All the Time” by Eddie Murphy? Same level.

39. Klima's_Bucket says:

jonrmcleod: Did you know that Klima’s twin sons are playing for the Moncton Wildcats?

No, I didn’t.
    But assuming there is still any room on the Wildcats wagon from the days of Steve Bernier, I will instantly jump onto the Moncton wagon…or is it off the wagon???

40. jonrmcleod says:

A few year’s ago I made a playlist of about 20 of the most popular New Wave songs. I don’t think any of them were featured in the RE series. No “Take on Me,” “Whip It,” “Tainted Love,” “Come On, Eileen”, etc.

41. Wonder Llama says:

jonrmcleod:

That’s cause LT’s into deep tracks, man.

I’ve loved all the RE music journeys from Bowie to the Allmans.

That’s what makes the betrayal of Ghostbusters cut so deep.

42. G Money says:

Wonder Llama: remember “Party All the Time” by Eddie Murphy?

LT is saving that one in case the Oilers ever bring back Stoll or sign Richards as a UFA.

43. Klima's_Bucket says:

What do we make of Andrew Ference’s comments regarding the Captaincy from the article on NHL.com?

44. jp says:

kinger_OIL,

Great story.

45. Yeti says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

“As far as Andrew Ference knows, he’ll be the Edmonton Oilers captain again this season. If he’s not, he knows who it should be, but he’s not saying.”

I don’t think we can tell anything much from that piece, other than – if my reading is correct – McLellan refused to immediately confirm him as captain in their first meeting and likely said he’d need time to consider the issue. I wouldn’t expect anything different.

46. jp says:

geowal:
    kinger_OIL,

That always works!!!

It is a little disconcerting to have a potential 3-headed goalie monster again though. Here’s hoping the Talbot/Scrivens/Nilsson version is better than the Markkanen/Morrison/Conklin version.

Though I guess I wouldn’t complain if this season ended in a run to the finals…

47. Yeti says:

jp: That always works!!!

Though I guess I wouldn’t complain if this season ended in a run to the finals…

Ha! Marconkison was awesome, but my personal favourite was Khabilaurinyk. It sounds like a brand of Finnish toilet cleaner.

48. SwedishPoster says:

Nilsson clearly had a great season in the KHL last year, didn’t watch any regular season games but caught a few playoff games and he looked excellent on a team that was very strong defensively. Can’t say I’ve been overly impressed with his overall play in the Swedish NT though he had a superb 2014 WHC.
    He had some stellar seasons in the SHL for Luleå before going to NA. He goes through spells where he looks unbeatable and then he has times where he just looks heavy with crappy rebound control, not a great glove either. He is in the right age for things to fall into place and has shown enough that it’s not out of the question that he’s due for a big breakout.
    It’s also difficult to know how much his health issues, whatever the hell they were the whole story is just odd, has affected past performances.
    Interesting, and cheap, bet. If he decides to battle past an eventual AHL spell I like our goalie depth. The question mark is ofc how Talbot handles the top spot but tbh, outside the leagues top 6-7 goalies, who are all pretty much untouchable, there aren’t any bullet proof #1 bets out there, hopefully we’ve caught Talbot on the upswing.

49. Kmart99 says:

Yeti:
    Klima’s_Bucket,

I dont think he’s talking about Hall.

I’d guess either Nuge or Hendricks. TBH, just leave the C on Andrew for now because there are 3 more potential captains developing in Lander, Nurse, and McDavid. As much as I love Hendricks’ leadership, his role is too small.

The future captain should be named next year, and it should be one of Nuge, CMD, or Nurse. IMO.

50. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Kmart99,

Ya, I generally agree, though my broader point on the subject is that, as fans, we probably shouldn’t care so much.

The only thing I’ll say on the Hendricks front is:

1. If they want a veteran captain, and
    2. Whomever wears the C “cannot” be relegated to the press box, and
    3. Everyone is willing to acknowledge that it’s a one year thing,

Then Hendricks makes sense. Sure his role is small, but

1. He will play every game
    2. He’s good at what he does, even if what he does isn’t score goals,
    3. He was captain of the US team at the WHC and they did better than forecast, and
    4. The young players seem to like him

LISTS!

jonrmcleod:

The RE isn’t featuring “new wave” songs. “new wave”. arguably was the bastardization of punk music by non-punks and the music industry, trying to profit from the reinvigoration of music by the “outsiders” Lowetide is featuring. Your list is a list of the derivative echo.

There is the music that is real and authentic, and there is the stuff the surfs off of it that is music industry product.

The intersection of the avant garde and the popular is rare and transitory. As Hemingway put it, “Paris is a moveable feast”.

This RE series is featuring on of those moments, where the avant garde intersected momentarily with mass public consciousness.

52. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

godot10,

I have next to 0 exposure to new wave, and I’m certainly not a fan, but this RE series has been interesting in that it’s exposed me to some bands I’ve heard a lot about but have never devoted any time to.

On a side note, I use a service called Popcorn Time to watch movies/tv on my computer. It pulls movies from torrent sites, allowing you to watch them without storing them on your computer. Anyway, when you pull up the list of movies, and sort by rating (user rating), a Talking Heads concert movie is ranked right up there with some of the best films of all time, around 20th overall (Stop Making Sense). I haven’t watched it, but I thought it would be an interesting thing for fans of the genre.

Coincidentally the top rated movie of all time, based solely on user ratings is another connected to this site:

Shawshank Redemption.

53. Rube Foster says:

In the mid-late eighties the PrincessTheatre down on Whyte Avenue would show Stop Making Sense every six month or so. Within the first ten minutes of the movie there would be 40 – 50 people dancing their assess off at the front of the theatre.
    There was something about that Big Suit that would motivate peoeple to shake their butts.
    Jonathan Demme captured the full force of Talking Heads on film while they held the tittle of undisputed best band in the world. As far as concert films go Stop Making Sense & the Last Waltz have few peers.

54. Edmonton Oilers: Net Protectors says:

[…] recently featured Nilsson in his RE: Player review series (which is a must read for any Oiler blog readers out there). I […]