PTO, ATO, GTO, CODY, MFSB

We’re counting down (thank you Casey Kasem) to a fun period of the late summer for NHL fans. There are approximately four million hockey players looking for work at this time (estimate) and the 30 clubs will sign a few, invite others and tell the rest to wait by their phones. It has to be a ghastly time for players (I’m trying to get Tom Lynn on this week, he always delivers the goods) but for fans it’s pretty cool. If you can get a free Curtis Glencross on the TC roster, why not? Edmonton is historically bad at this, although Anson Carter once attended and that was cool. Cody Franson remains No. 1 on wish list (I know, you all hate him. I ON THE OTHER HAND will be at church tonight lighting candles for the signing) and would love to see Edmonton sign or invite:

1. L Curtis Glencross: His speed and skill means he can play with the good players on this roster and that’s a very good thing.
  2. L Jiri Tlusty: A nice two-way winger who can play with skill, he’s 27 so has more time in his peak years. I’m astounded he’s still available.
  3. D Jan Heda: Veteran defensive defender isn’t a sexy player, but he’s effective and a veteran.
  4. R Lee Stempniak: A skill winger who could help the Oilers drive the idea of three scoring lines.
  5. C Derek Roy: I like the idea of having a terrific skill player on the bench. Plus, we know he has chem with Nail.
  6. D Brett Bellemore: Inexpensive depth defender. He’s a good option.
  7. L Phil McRae: Has some things on a PF resume, Edmonton is low on that player-type.
  8. D Colby Robak: I know the Oilers have plenty of defensemen in the system, but this is an interesting player and certainly worth a two-way deal.

Original post is here.

THE SURE OILERS (19)

oilers for certainIf they were to sign Franson, a trade would have to occur. That RH side would be a little tough to break into, but for me dealing one of Nikita Nikitin or Andrew Ference is necessary if Griffin Reinhart and or Darnell Nurse are to make the grade. Signing Franson and trading Nikitin (I have Verdad 2.0 on it now) makes too much sense for EDM, too little for everyone else. That’s not a shot, we don’t know if he’s healthy and effective and other teams have the same issue. Edmonton COULD run with eight blue but it’s a reach for sure. I propose Nikitin, Brandon Davidson and a third-round pick in 2017 for Michael Bunting and a fifth-round pick, but Verdad 2.0 talked me into a different ask.

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS (12)

uncertain oilersThis is the group that we will be focused on in training camp. IF Edmonton invites anyone, they go on this list. Among the dozen here, my guess is Todd McLellan keeps Ben Scrivens, Luke Gazdic and Rob Klinkhammer from this group—but that’s SO boring! I hope we see some real drama in September.

THE DISTANT BELLS (31)

DISTANT BELLSIf anyone from this list makes opening night’s roster, Todd McLellan will shock the fanbase in a big way. Edmonton’s TC are beyond boring and that’s somewhat understandable: Contracts are contracts. That said, nothing would send a stronger message to the fans than one of these men earning the grade on merit AND being rewarded for it.

• CODY Nickolet talks about Tyler Soy: A light-on-his skates and quick forward who gets around the ice nicely and picks his spots well. Isn’t the biggest guy and I would therefore like to see his motor become more consistent from shift to shift and game to game. Source

45 Responses to "PTO, ATO, GTO, CODY, MFSB"

GTFO

Glencross would be a natural to play RW with Hall and McDavid.

I’d rather him at 1.5MM than Korpokoski or Klinkhammer.

Not sure he signs here for that though.

Hedja is a veteran, but he isn’t effective anymore.

Not at the NHL level.

Maybe the COL corsi gong show hurts his numbers a bit, but it ain’t good.

4. zatch says:

A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido?

5. fifthcartel says:

Someone asked Stauffer if he thinks they’ll bring in anyone on a PTO (http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=777880&navid=DL|) and his answer is kind of interesting.

A strong argument can be made that the Oilers could maybe use another winger who plays with a bit of edge compete for a spot in the bottom six. Defensively the Oilers seemingly have a lot of bodies with six D on one-ways: Andrej Sekera, Mark Fayne, Justin Schultz, Erik Gryba, Nikita Nikitin and Andrew Ference. Oscar Klefbom is on his ELC but is a virtual lock to play in the Oilers top four with Griffin Reinhart, Darnell Nurse and Brandon Davidson trying to crack the line-up as well. Not a lot of room for a veteran “D” to come on a PTO.”

Maybe a Glencross or Upshall, but don’t expect any veteran D on PTO’s?

I wouldn’t mind Glencross and it wouldn’t be far from home for him either.

6. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Isn’t Brad Boyes still available too?

7. Hammers says:

I could se Slepy make the team before both Klink and Gazdic. I would also consider Leon on the wing .

8. striatic says:

Either Glencross or Tlusty at LW would be a great addition.

After Hall and Poiliot, talent at LW falls off a cliff. If in case of emergency you break the glass and feel around and there’s nothing behind it but the shards, the season is over. One injury at LW, even relatively short term, and the team is hooped.

9. spoiler says:

I wonder if Glencross has been told by a Boston, Chicago or LA to hang tough and let them see if they can doff some salary to make him fit. I can see him wanting a Cup run at this point and probably would be willing to forgo some bucks to take a swing at it.

Well-written article, LT, had me smiling all the way through.

Glencross seems ideal. I expect Chia has inquired and been rebuffed.

If the Oil had just one less of Nikitin or Purcell or Ference, so many possibilities open up. It’s frustrating, but it is what it is. I can’t see a team biting on any of the three without serious injury grief befalling their fortunes.

10. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

One ptoato two ptoato…

11. rickithebear says:

striatic:
    Either Glencross or Tlusty at LW would be a great addition.

Fayne

18 EVG 15EVA 33 EVP
    2 PPG 4 PPA 6 PPP
    1 SHG 1 SHP
    31 TKA 24 GVA 87 HITS 50 BLK

12. Pouzar says:

fifthcartel,

Upshall signed PTO with Blues.

13. AsiaOil says:

This is where the decision to not buy-out Ference bites – way more options to add a positive contributor with another $2 million in cap room – and a Ference buy-out was also addition through subtraction. It was a small move but could have been leveraged into something pretty helpful.

14. Pouzar says:

AsiaOil:

I have a feeling Chia isn’t done assembling this D. But it doesn’t look like Ference is going anywhere.

15. MrEd says:

striatic,

Really? I’m thinking that we have lots of options on the Left side. Enough that we could lose 60 games and still be okay. We could go pretty deep in the system and find players.
    It’s the right side where we we lack depth IMO . We need some durability…. some ”truculence”. Ebs, and Purcy… even Yak… turnovers need to be created.

16. v4ance says:

Pouzar,

The Ference and Nikitin decisions look good solely from a cap management perspective if the team is right on the future cap forecast. Since a majority of the cap is derived from revenue from the Rogers TV deal which is being paid in Canadian dollars, any weakening of the loonie impacts the cap immensely.

If the Canadian dollar stays low or goes even lower for the next two years (plateauing or lowering the cap ceiling), then the suggested buyouts of Nikitin or Ference would have been even more painful for the next 3 years with the dead cap space needing to be allocated to them.

Keeping them both on the roster hurts for this one upcoming year but then the team will have almost $5-6 million of cap room for next off season. It’s basically the sunk cost of fixing the errors of the previous management team.

Anyone who thinks it’s easy to get rid of those bad contracts in trade is delusional. 19 of 30 teams are within $5 million of the ceiling or even closer and of the remaining 11 teams, at least 6-8 have internal budgets that won’t allow them to take on any more bloated contracts. Proof of this tight market is that there are still so many UFA options who are staring at attending camps on PTOs instead of being signed already. Why trade for a Ference at $3.25 or a Nikitn at $4.5 mil and give up an asset when you can sign younger and more capable options in Franson or Schlemko at cheaper prices for free?

17. Spoils says:

think about our D in 3 yrs when we are supposed to contend for a cup. Who will be our #1D?

Jultz is a crazy long shot , maybe Nurse is the guy, maybe Klefbom, heck maybe even Reinhart… but I argue we don’t win a cup without an elite #1D (doughty/keith/ciara/lidstrom/pronger-neidermeyer)…

I would look to move a package of picks, prospects, and offensive stars to get this player NOW.

The sting from the Dougie Hamilton trade or the Pronger trade should make it clear that these players can be got. Yes, it is near impossible, but it can be done.

For example, maybe Arizona can be sold that OEL is better dealt for future value.

Who should PC go after and what should we offer?

18. RexLibris says:

We’re counting down (thank you Casey Kasem)

I just referenced Kasey Kasem today in my RE write-up!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, MAN!

I’d be wary of Glencross on anything but a PTO.

He could easily end up on the IR.

If that happens we’re kind of SOL.

And then of course the Flames will ROFL.

19. RexLibris says:

Does anyone know if a play-by-play guy has ever had the opportunity to say “Tlusty undressed the defender on that play”.

Because if so, that announcer is my hero.

20. RexLibris says:

Speaking of Tom Waits the other day…

There Was A Murder In The Red Barn!

Chamblin AND Taman both fired as per TSN (in keeping with our acronym theme of the evening).

Oh, and the musical accompaniment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5v6oLsysgY

Bone Machine. That’s a damned good album.

21. rickithebear says:

Keith plays 2nd/3rd/4th comp.
    He gets points.
    The guy does not face the best.

2010 cup

Leddy 1st/2nd comp -8
    Rozsival 1st/2nd comp +9
    Hjarlmasson 3rd comp +10
    Keith 4th comp +10

22. Gordies Elbow says:

Spoils:

With the Norfolk Admirals, at the age of 21. He made the NHL squad the next year, and one of his teammates in Norfolk, with a slightly lower stats line, began just after him, James Wisniewski.

I don’t think PC goes after anyone, until he has a better handle on what he currently has.

23. The Hermit says:

zatch: A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido?

A denial!

24. Genjutsu says:

Gordies Elbow: 5 years before winning the Stanley Cup, Duncan Keith went 79gp – 9g – 17a – 26pts.

This.

It’s easy to forget that defensemen almost always take more time than the forwards.

It’s one of the most terrible mistakes made by the Tambo rebuild was not getting the D in place first.

The defence coming looks amazing and I have every belief out will be enough to sustain the team through the cup fund to come.

It just would have come too late to work with the Hall cluster.

McDavid changed everything. He saved the rebuild.

He saved us all.

25. One-Timer says:

Spoils:

Who should PC go after and what should we offer?

Wait… is Verdad working two handles?

LT, check those IP addresses.

26. Jaxon says:

I’ve never seen Slepyshev listed as anything but LW. I know he’s a right shot, but why is he listed as RW here? I don’t think that’s his natural position. I think Slepyshev should be considered in the “uncertain” category. The NHLE for his last 25 KHL games works out to 28G-13A-41Pts. That’s not the kind of stat that you can ignore, especially for someone as young and as big as Slepyshev. That’s the kind of NHLE you start pinning hopes on. And with only Gazdic as LW “uncertain” competition, he’ll likely be one of the first callups and may get a decent chance to stick with the Oilers this year. Will he need some time to adjust to the North american game? Undoubtedly. But I think he’ll make that transition faster than expected as a big, fast, skilled player who has been playing in the 2nd best league in the world for 4 years already and played 87 total games last season so he can handle the workload.

That said, I do like Tlusty. He’s still in his prime and has a great two-way game with some decent skill. I’m in the ‘Franson would be an awesome addition’ camp. His stats (fancy and otherwise) are too good to ignore and he’s young, huge and right handed. The fit doesn’t get much better. I really like Pakarinen’s odds at landing that 4th line RW position.

I see Purcell and Hendricks gone at some point during the season to make way for Draisaitl and Slepyshev.

27. wheatnoil says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Isn’t Brad Boyes still available too?

I believe he is. Would be a great add.

Jaxon:

Yes. I put him there for balance buy Slepy is a LW everywhere I see.

29. Dominoiler says:

I’m thinking, Lander, the ESA kurri, that’s a centre and a Swede?!..

Hall-McDevastation-Lander

30. Dominoiler says:

Glencross, tho, as at vet, could have value..

Can hardly imagine he would sign here, anyways, as a
    2nd / third liner, he would really heat up the comp for Nail, while also being a different player type (that what coach wouldn’t want?!).. But if he is injured?!.. Doesn’t matter, I dont think he’d ever sign here, having been a flame and all..

Hossa, Bah.. Glencross was leading the best forth line in hockey (best line on the oilers, in a way, the only line that could hold offensive pressure) and Ahab missed the mark, imo.. Hossa is an ideal, no doubt, but my bet is that Glencross could have been quite a step up on Ference (sorry, piling on, hope he out does our expectations, playing lower competition, breaking in rookies once the injuries hit) as a captain playing higher up in the order..

But maybe, McDavid does change everything?!..

31. Yeti says:

Lowetide: Yes. I put him there for balance buy Slepy is a LW everywhere I see.

You’re obsessed with balance, but it’s all a big illusion…

32. striatic says:

MrEd:
    striatic,

Really?I’m thinking that we have lots of options on the Left side.

Wait, what? who?

I’m surprised anyone would think that given LT’s depth chart from this very post.

Korpikoski?

If you’re thinking Draisaitl, second line LW is a hell of a way to get NHL at bats when really he should be cooking in the AHL or eased into the NHL in a non desperation situation.

33. striatic says:

rickithebear: Fayne
    Sekera
    Nikitin
    Klefbom
    Talbot
    say
    not so fast.

That’s a surprising amount of faith in the Oilers D corps but ok. We’ll probably find out this season if that faith is justified whenever that injury at LW does eventually happen.

34. jp says:

striatic:

Pffff, dude already had NHL 2C experience at 18. 2LW at 19 would be a breeze.

35. Pouzar says:

Jaxon,

Yup he’s a LWer for sure.

36. Pouzar says:

Dominoiler:
    I’m thinking, Lander, the ESA kurri, that’s a centre and a Swede?!..

Hall-McDevastation-Lander

37. GCW_69 says:

AsiaOil:

Exactly! Ference is easily replaced at this stage of his career, and Davidson is probably better. Having the cap and reserve list flexibility to take advantage of this market was the smarter move.

38. GCW_69 says:

Pouzar: The actual possessing of the puck is something Lander is a frickin wizard at especially when offensive possession is established. Very interesting suggestion. He could swap with McLovin in the d-zone and take over the defensive Center responsibilities and let the kid fly!

Lander’s tenacity around the net is pretty much unmatched on the Oilers, which is why he did so well on the PP last year. If he can play the right side and be that in close guy as well as support to McDavid in the defensive zone he would be a good fit.

39. Pouzar says:

GCW_69: Lander’s tenacity around the net is pretty much unmatched on the Oilers, which is why he did so well on the PP last year.If he can play the right side and be that in close guy as well as support to McDavid in the defensive zone he would be a good fit.

His board work 5 on 5 is phenomenal too imo.
    Love this suggestion.

40. kiaora says:

Its time to get over Glencross. Yes, we didn’t sign him when he was at his peak (big mistake), but signing him now would be equally as daft given he is past his peak (he is a Flames reject).

41. OF17 says:

kiaora:

He most definitely is past his peak. I don’t think that’s the question we should be asking though. First question should be if he’s willing to take a one-year deal. If so, the relevant question is whether Glencross is a better option for the 4th line than Klinkhammer/Gazdic/Pakarinen/Miller. Even with his recent decline, I think it’s likely that he is.

Hendricks-Letestu-Glencross could be a fantastic line. So could Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks if we sign a guy like Tlusty instead. I’d obviously rather see Franson than a forward upgrade, but this is the time of the summer when big depth improvements can be made for cheap. Remember how much use Anaheim got out of Winnik a couple of years back? Tlusty/Glencross is that kind of move.

42. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

OF17,

The key to adding veterans to hold down youth is to have them on contracts that make it feasible to replace them if the youth earns their spot.

1 year contracts at 1 million (maybe a little over) so that there is no real issue with sending them to the minors if a guy like Miller or Iiro earn their spot.

If that’s what we’re talking about, then any of Stempniak/Tlusty/Glencross/Boyes are exceptional additions, no question.

43. russ99 says:

OF17,

I thought Glencross has been a LW all along.

So I’d go with:
    Korpikoski – Letestu – Purcell
    Glencross – Lander – Gazdic/Hendricks

Though maybe I want to see that old 4th line magic a little too much…

44. OF17 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,
    Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. I’d be willing to go higher than that for Tlusty, since I think he’s clearly the best and most versatile of the bunch, but similar idea. Extremely low risk, low-medium reward move.

russ99,

To be honest I meant to put Hendricks at RW but mistyped it. I bet Glencross could do fine on the right side, but if not, we know Hendricks can play either side. I’d swap Lander and Letestu on your lineup, as I think Lander might have more offensive potential (although Letestu has had some really solid offensive seasons), but the idea is similar.