SOME NOTES ON REINHART

Today on the Lowdown I spoke to Michael Fornabaio of the Connecticut Post and Soundin’ Off. Michael covers the Bridgeport Sound Tigers and gave us his impressions of Griffin Reinhart during his year in the AHL. Before we proceed, I want to set the stage for his AHL season by reminding you about Reinhart in junior and specifically in the 2013-14 season and playoffs.

• Megan Richardson: “What is there to say about Griffin Reinhart? Here’s a guy who played probably every even strength shift against the Petan line or the De Leo line, two monster entry and possession lines. At the beginning of the regular season, those six players carried the puck in an average of 84% of the time. And yet, playing against that top competition, he had the greatest percentage of break-ups and fewest shot attempts against per entry of all Edmonton’s defensemen, rivaled only by Irving, who played cupcake minutes. To see the true impact he had on entries, we can look at his defensive partner Ashton Sautner, no slouch himself, and see how he got burned. After seeing this, I don’t disagree with his choice as MVP of the series.” Source

MICHAEL FORNABAIO

• How did he look over the year and did he improve? “I thought he did improve. I did see progress. A lot of people look at that No. 4 overall and expected too much. He’s a player who has that size, they wanted him to get a bit more aggressive (in Bridgeport) and sometimes he was able to do that, sometimes players were able to beat him. Over the course of the season I saw learned his way, figured things out and was making some adaptations.”
  • On playing in the AHL: “Sometimes it’s easier to defend in the NHL because everyone else is in the right place so you can do your own thing. I wonder if that was an issue. He came down (to Bridgeport) after the first couple games on the Island and I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a player as determined to get back up there (to the NHL). At that time he came out and said I want to be an NHL player and want to show that I’m an NHL player. “
  • On his role in the AHL: “He did get some second power-play time and maybe a little bit on the first unit when guys were out, but yeah he was on the top pairing and playing against the other team’s top line. Got a lot of PK time as well. He was playing against a lot of the top players.”

55 Responses to "SOME NOTES ON REINHART"

1. TheOtherJohn says:

We will know what we traded for in Reinhart after he has played 50-75 GP in the NHL from this point forward. If he’s capable of top 4 TOI on our D it was an ok trade. If not we traded away 16 & 33 in a reputed deep draft and can look back at the trade as a major f**k up.

Sincerely hoping it’s the former.

Suspect LAK may be desperate to trade Voynov if after his pickup from Seal Beach jail by U.S. Immigration Service he gets his work visa revoked

In 2015 draft with 16 I’ would have a taken Kyle Connor and at 33 I’d have taken Paul Bittner

2. Cahoon says:

TheOtherJohn,

I would have taken Barzal and Kylington, and I’ll be tracking those two to determine the value of the trade in my head .

3. kinger_OIL says:

Nice write-up, and gets to my point. Griff would maybe(?) be drafted higher than Nurse if they were in the same draft year (but not by much)

– Fast forward one year on Griff and as he develops, it’s not straight line in the AHL

– Nurse probably has more upside, but he has more tools to develop and mature

– Nurse – he’s the shiny new toy: people are as excited by him, as they were about Griff the year before.

– Griff will get the first bats due to his year in the AHL: let Nurse play in the AHL: if he develops quicker than Griff in AHL great: call him up.

4. Centre of attention says:

Anyone watch Gene interview McLellan on sportsnet today? Usual questions, but how casually Todd said “we might have to carry 8 or 9 D.” surprised me. I guess we wont have a 4th line. When was the last time an NHL team carried 8 or 9 d on purpose, even to just start the season?

5. John Chambers says:

TheOtherJohn,

I welcome the healthy debate around the trade, but I just don’t understand where Connor, or Bittner, or Svechnikov, or Barzal would fit in Edmonton. Those spots are taken.

Reinhart (and Nurse) are the exact player types – guys who can limit shots against and break up cycles – needed on this team moving forward. It’s like having a lineup full of power hitters, and trading for a lead-off hitter rather than drafting another basher. Some of the others might be better players eventually, but adding Reinhart will make this a better team.

6. meanashell11 says:

TheOtherJohn:

Sincerelyhoping it’s the former.

And when exactly were 16 and 33 going to be available to help out….

I cannot believe the lightning rod poor Grif has turned out to be. In his final season with the Kings he was as good as Nurse was this year. It was a tough D corp to crack in Long Island last season and no shame he had to play in the A. We wish we had that depth here.

Grif will be fine and will be making a lot of people eat crow this year.

7. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Centre of attention,

He’s talking about evaluating players before they even start training camp! That’s only going to spoil his impression once camp starts!

What’s next – teaching basics before implementing a system? Geez…

8. Spoils says:

Nurse and Klefb and Sekera and Griff and Ference and Nikitin all shoot Left. If they are all LD, that’s quite the bottleneck. Great to see competition.

Fast forward a few years I think we see him behind Nurse and Klefbom as a third pairing LD. Frome what’s being said he’ll be able to rock that.

Now… on the right side?

Is there an under 27ish Norris caliber RD that could be acquired by trade? Seth Jones shoots right and maybe Nashville ould be convinced to cash on Weber NOW.

Who else? What would it cost? (1st pick 2016 + 1st pick 2017 + Nikitin minus salary + Eberle)

9. dammit tambellini says:

Cahoon,

There’s going to be players taken in the 2015 draft that turn out better than Reinhart, if you cherry pick your favourites and match griff to them it will always be a lopsided loss of a trade. I think the front office wanted a defenceman further along in his development and chose Reinhart. If a player like kylington develops into a player but it’s a couple years after the McDavid elc has expired would the oilers really have been better off keeping the picks?

10. Melman says:

meanashell11,

I don’t get this either. We have seen first hand how difficult it is to trade for a top 4 defenseman in their prime. The team is loaded with youth at the C spot and the opportunity to advance 2 years of development was well worth paying a debatable premium on. Please let the problem be that among Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse and Reinhart the Oil have too many top 4 LHD.

Obviously draft picks are needed for the future, but IMO I think lack of any playoff sniff for 9 years has slanted Oiler fans to be over the top in their focus and angst over draft picks – because really that was the only ray of light to cling to. In 3 years when Barzal is breaking if the team does nothing they’ll be running McD, Nuge and Leon 1-2-3 down the chute. Personally, I’m OK with that.

11. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Centre of attention:

12. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Cahoon:
    TheOtherJohn,

Barzal I get, but Kylington? A whole additional round went by before Calgary drafted him. Now, I liked Oliver and he might turn out to be a whale of a pick, but that’s not the guy the Oilers traded away. The entire league passed on him once after that pick.

13. RexLibris says:

I imagine David Musil and Mitch Moroz are the leading members of the Griffin Reinhart fan club right now.

The topic of who was taken 31st overall seems suddenly to be of far less importance.

14. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Schultz the rover would be quite interesting. Play some shifts at 3RW at evens, top pair PP D, and limited 5 v 5 D minutes.

Speaking of converted d-men, I ran across this fine specimen last night while scouting the Young Stars: http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/05/12/canucks-sign-defensive-prospect-mackenzie-stewart/

Check out the stats line: 6’4″, 216lbs, 66gp 5-6-11, 114 penalty minutes.

Only the Canucks would spend development time to convert a drafted prospect (7th round, 2014) from defender to committed goon.

15. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

RexLibris,

Pay no attention to the Benning behind the curtain. I wonder if the Canucks had watched the Behind the B episode on the Seguin trade before they hired him.

As we’ve suffered for so long under bad management, it’s nice to see a division rival begin to understand our pain a bit as well.

16. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    RexLibris,

That assumes that the fan base is necessarily aware of the loose threads that are beginning to show.

The drafting alone is worth a few blog posts going back two decades.

One thing became very clear in reviewing the names and bios of the players coming to Penticton – the Canucks are bringing the knuckledraggers by the wagonload.

I am a little nervous about what happens with McDavid at this tournament.

17. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

RexLibris,

I wouldn’t worry about that. McDavid has been used to guys trying to make a name for themselves by running him for a while now. They can’t hit what they can’t see. And if anyone tries anything, they will have to answer to Nurse.

18. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    RexLibris,

And part of me knows that, but it seems like it only takes one idiot.

My concern over this tournament is that it isn’t entirely NHL sanctioned and acts of stupidity are not necessarily fully enforceable.

That being said, the Oilers have a few cutthroats of their own hanging around so I suppose mutual deterrence could be established.

Truth be told, this is just something we’re going to have to start dealing with as fans.

Games are going to get out of hand and the nouveau-Matt Cooke’s of the world are going to try and make names for themselves.

19. RexLibris says:

Rex Codex Libris ‏@CodexRex 8m8 minutes ago

Rex Codex Libris retweeted theScore

So, um, basically the entire contents of what a contract is about then, huh Brad?

Rex Codex Libris added,
    theScore @theScore
    Flames’ GM Brad Treliving on obstacles in Micheal Ferland talks: ‘Just money and term.’ http://thesco.re/1ikJ2dg

20. RexLibris says:

Nice article today by Travis Yost on analytics’ ability to forecast success.

Relevant excerpt for those of us who have discussed repeatability (GMoney) and the role possession metrics make in determining future team success (re: Flames, Leafs, Avs)

a team with great Corsi% can bank on having a great Corsi% in a follow-up year. A team with, say, a great shooting percentage can’t bank on having that same shooting percentage in a subsequent year. This is simply difference between repeatable skill and random variance.

21. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

RexLibris: And part of me knows that, but it seems like it only takes one idiot.

That said, I can’t wait to see the first glimpse of him in orange and blue – choppy video stream be damned!

Connor, hold your head high, and your stick higher!

22. RexLibris says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: The other thing, is that McDavid doesn’t really need to be in the tourney. Nothing to prove in it, nor nothing to show that he hasn’t already.

Connor, hold your head high, and your stick higher!

EJ said they expect to dress him for two games and then again for the Bears game.

Personally, I could see them sitting him against the Flames just out of spite. Or maybe that’s just me, guilty of transference. 🙂

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mclellan-you-wont-hear-us-talking-about-playoffs/

The “money” quote on what he’s been up to.

“Trying to evaluate some players before even seeing them.”

vs.

the last guy boasting about not watching one second of video.

24. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

RexLibris: Or maybe that’s just me

Oh no you don’t. If it’s anybody, it’s me!

I have to live among them, and if the Flames start out strong this season, the smug in this city is going to rival a San Francisco Prius driver.

25. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

godot10: The “money” quote on what he’s been up to.

“Trying to evaluate some players before even seeing them.”

vs.

the last guy boasting about not watching one second of video.

26. Adam Wu says:

Centre of attention:

They can play Shultz on Wing for a few shifts!

27. Cameron says:

The issue for me about the Reinhart trade (which I think is defensible on its face, mostly), is that he duplicates the skillset of the two other young D-men (Sexbomb and Nurse) you are already looking to build around. All are ; big, strong, sound defensively, and good to great skaters, but light on offense.

As for who you could have had instead, I’d say Barzal is obvious (and as a C, a highly fungible asset), and Kylington.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Oh my goodness, how can he keep a straight face looking at Gene with that ridiculous mop! That’s one of the worst hair-dos I have ever seen.

So, I figure I’ll get my haircut by this guy and talk him into trying my station. Get there, see him, he’s smiling (good sign) and tells me it’ll be like 10 minutes. Meanwhile, his wife goes into labor and he comes over and apologizes, but introduces me to a woman on his staff who is a pro and will be happy to cut my hair.

Okay, congrats that’s a special day, and of course I’ll let this German lady cut my hair. Now. I’m in my 40’s by this time and my hair is pretty much what it is. I tell the lady what I want, she COMPLETELY DISREGARDS WHAT I SAID and cuts my hair, then combs it forward like lemmings to the sea (the sea being my face).

GACK!!!

She finishes and says “This! Your hair should look this way.” AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,

Dammit!

29. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Tail end of the interview, McLellan suggests he wants to sprinkle grit/checking through the lineup and spread it out.

Skill pool:

Purcell

Hall-McDavid-?
    Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    ?-Lander-Yak
    Hendricks-?-?

30. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ha ha ha. I spat out my coffee. Great story!

31. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Coach isn’t sporting a strong style sense either, when it comes to coiffures.

And I’m okay with that, after – y’know…

32. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

Lowetide: Your hair should look this way.

Did you close the deal at least?

33. Ryan says:

Centre of attention:

I listened to the interview once and I didn’t take away your conclusion. I don’t think that he was suggesting that he planned on carrying 8-9 d….rather just that they had 8-9 d to choose from to build their roster.

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel: I’ve fallen victim to that as well, after a girlfriend suggested I go to a certain ‘stylist’. This was in the 80s, to paint the picture for you.

Did you close the deal at least?

Yes, but not that day.

35. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: About 15 years ago, I’m heading home from work and am an hour early for the driveway. In sales, that’s a no-no, you need to be working or doing something. So, I have a client in town who Im trying to close and the business is a barber shop (good tie in for sports radio).

GACK!!!

Dammit!

Priceless. What man hasn’t fallen into a women’s persuasion. Hope you took a picture of this. Mine was a hairless on the sides and flat on top cut. Hated it

36. Mr DeBakey says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: How do you mix it up then if you go on the premise that you have some grit/checking on all four lines?

JF Jacques, wherefore art thou?

37. Snowman says:

I’m not the least bit worried about someone taking a run at Mcdavid at any point. He’s got world class speed and he’s a world class skater. Good luck to any gorilla’s trying to find him.

I saw Gene this summer sitting outside a Safeway drinking a coffee on the patio area. His hair is even “better” in real life.

38. Pouzar says:

LD on RW?

Yes please.

Nice article Bruce.

39. pocession charge says:

Lowetide: Yes, but not that day.

LT I thought you were a married man? Way to go stud!

Er, we’re talking about the German woman right?

40. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Mr DeBakey: JF Jacques, wherefore art thou?

Where’s “Steve Smith” these days?
    In his stead: I don’t think that “wherefore” means what you think it means. 🙂

Pouliot
    Purcell

Hall-McDavid-?
    Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    ?-Lander-Yak
    Hendricks-?-?

That means Hall on Landers line , Pouliot and Purcell with McDavid , Hendricks with Nuges line , Letestu , Korpokoski and Leon. Fans won’t like that .im sure of that .

42. Bruce McCurdy says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Was McLellan wearing an onion on his belt?

43. Bruce McCurdy says:

Pouzar:
    LD on RW?

Yes please.

Nice article Bruce.

Thank you, kind sir.

Here’s a link for those who haven’t read it yet and may like to.

Delighted to have a coach in town talking hockey. Feels like a freaking month since I wrote a post that wasn’t about one prospect at a time.

44. Yeti says:

Bruce McCurdy: Was McLellan wearing an onion on his belt?

If he puts Gazdic on McDavid’s wing, then he’ll have a whole row of onions on that belt, plus some garlic to boot.

45. OTO says:

Two first +Eberle is way too much to pay for webber comming off knee surgery, one 1st Draisatl and shultz. Throw in Caleb Jones. Geter done!

46. jm363561 says:

And when exactly were 16 and 33 going to be available to help out….
    I cannot believe the lightning rod poor Grif has turned out to be.
    =======

Yep, “poor Grif”. Oilers fans have a very high opinion of themselves as “fans”. In terms of passion, knowledge of the game, and supporting a winning team this is undoubtedly justified, but when it comes to supporting a struggling young player maybe not so much. I doubt I have ever wished success on a young player as much as this admirable young man.

Has anyone seen a table showing the last x years 4, 16 and 33 picks. I would take 4 over 16 + 33 any day.

47. OTO says:

Drai- nuge- ebs
    Hall- mcdavid – Purcell
    Poo – lander – yak
    Hendricks-letestu-korp/pitlick

Winning lineup

48. OTO says:

Glencross would be a great pick up. Deal Purcell. One more gritty forward is also needed to watch over and protect mcdavid. Who on this roster would get justice if Kessler took a run at him?

49. OTO says:

Someone Ala dustin brown

50. 719 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Was McLellan wearing an onion on his belt?

Can someone get this man an award?

51. 719 says:

jm363561:
    And when exactly were 16 and 33 going to be available to help out….
    I cannot believe the lightning rod poor Grif has turned out to be.
    =======

Well said

52. AsiaOil says:

Go and look at his profile in his draft year at the top of the page – complete top pair dman comparable to Ryan Suter. I still think it fits – but maybe GR comes up a bit shy of Suter’s offense which is not out of this world averaging about 35-40 points per year.

Griffin Reinhart
    draft year – 12-24-36 (.65 ppt in WHL)
    draft year +1 8-21-29 (.49 ppt in WHL)
    draft year +2 4-17-21 (.47 ppt in WHL)
    draft year +3- 7-15-22 (.37 ppt in AHL)

Ryan Suter
    draft year – 9-23-38 (.60 ppt in USNTDP)
    draft year +1 3-16-19 (.49 ppt in NCAA)
    draft year +2 7-16-23 (.36 ppt in AHL)
    draft year +3 1-15-16 (.22 ppt in NHL)

Another guy GR is tracking a lot like is Duncan Keith who had a draft +3 ppg in the AHL of .32. We did very well on this trade and some people’s expectation of the return on #16 & #31 (CFP essentially) are totally unrealistic. If Reinhart has a solid year defensively in the NHL (no way he plays in the minors again) and mirrors Suter’s and Keith’s ppg of .22-.25 – then we may have acquired the the all-round top pair minute muncher that we want and who may appear as soon as CMD is really ready to go ballistic in a couple of year. We have our top 4 – Nurse/Klef/GR/Sekera – and just need to add some good vets (unlike the ones we have) on short contracts to let the young guys develop for a couple of seasons. We have more than enough forwards to stock a power play thrice over – so a guy like Shultz is redundant – trade him this year and replace with cheap offensive specialist we can hide on the 3rd pair and trade when he wants too much money (rinse repeat as needed).