THE HITCHHIKERS’ GUIDE TO THE ROOKIE CAMP

Sometime this week (I imagine tomorrow, that’s what Matty said in the EJ) we’ll get a look at the Edmonton Oilers rookie camp roster. It will be have elite talent at the top end (McDavid, Nurse, Leon) and contain some interesting invites. I think we have it surrounded, so here’s my estimated list with the understanding some of these players (Brossoit, Kessy) may not qualify.

OKANAGAN CAMP ROSTER (ESTIMATED)

1. G Laurent Brossoit—He has two years experience in pro hockey, that may disqualify him. Still, he’s four days younger than Winnipeg’s Connor Hellebuyck who is confirmed. Brossoit is the most promising prospect at this position since Devan Dubnyk and his .918SP last season represents real quality. I think the Oilers view him as a  part of the future and he’ll be waiver eligible 2017 fall (hat tip speeds).
  2. G Eetu Laurikainen—Another player who may or may not attend, we’re all curious about a pretty good bet by the Oilers on a Euro FA. Soft Mitts, Heavy Hits: Standing just 6’0″, he’s an extremely athletic, even acrobatic player with excellent instincts that give him sound positioning. As a fairly small late bloomer, Laurikainen has remained undrafted, but has the potential to be a work-in-progress for an organization that has room for a developing goaltender.
  3. G Keven Bouchard—Drafted (from what we were told) based on a period at the 2014 Memorial Cup, Stu MacGregor said “Freddie Chabot and Sylvain Rodrique (goalie coaches) know him really well and have worked with him.”
  4. G Jordan Papirny—Confirmation of attendance on Guy Flaming’s Pipeline Show. He’s an interesting prospect, seems to have improved his glove hand and added some consistency. Cody Nickolet: The biggest strength of his game is ability to move in his crease…features very strong side to side mobility…that mobility to allows him to really battle on extra chance opportunities…is often sharp to respond to second and third chance opportunities if he leaves a spotty rebound laying around…have noticed that he tends to play rather small and a bit out of control on second chances. Source
  5. D Darnell Nurse—He’s tracking in a way we haven’t seen from an Oilers defensive prospect in this century (and before). Nurse has the potential to be the ‘ideal Oilers defenseman’ who is capable at both ends of the ice and possesses an edge to his game we haven’t seen from many prospects.
  6. D Ben Betker—He’s an interesting player. Betker is an actual giant (6.06, 220) who can skate well enough to be recognized as a real NHL prospect. He turns 21 next month so (as with Brandon Davidson) we’re likely to see a long pro audition.
  7. D Joey Laleggia—One of the truly fascinating prospects coming to this camp, he can wheel, he shoots once every 25 seconds and appears to have fantastic offensive instincts. Even more encouraging, his college coach made a point of talking about his progress away from the puck as he matured in Denver.
  8. D Caleb Jones—Turned heads at Orientation camp. Very mobile. I like the ISS description: “Composed two-way defender who brings mobility and crisp, efficient puck movement.” He’s already played a little in the WHL pre-season (2GP, 1-1-2) and will be worth tracking this winter.
  9. D Ethan Bear—Future Considerations (and other sources) make a point of talking about his ability to pass out of the zone effectively. That’s a big part of the modern game (it was big in the old timey one, too) and bodes well for Bear. Good skater, physical, range of skills. Perhaps most important, he’s a righty in the Oilers Leftorium. He’s 2GP, 1-2-3 in pre-season with Seattle.
  10. D Kevin Davis—Two-way defenseman with average size, he’s a confident player with the puck—sometimes a little too confident, someone will have to iron that out. He’s a physical player despite the size and will fight—the Oilers are bringing in gritty buggers.
  11. D Colton Waltz—Tough defender. NHL.com lists him as TC invite. Another physical player, Waltz was a highly-regarded blue in his WHL draft year and has been an effective player during his junior career. I don’t know how much traction he’ll get among all these other kids but he does have the toughness Edmonton covets.
  12. D Loik Leveille—Already something of a curio to us draft nuts (I kept trying to boot him off my draft list but he’s too unique) he’s thick and strong and a good skater and owns the shot of a giant. He’s 6.0, 220 meaning the young man is built like a brick outhouse. If he didn’t exist, we’d have to invent him.
  13. C Connor McDavid—Webster’s currently attempting to find new words. Can’t believe he’s an Oiler.
  14. C Leon Draisaitl—Leon will be a secondary consideration for some but the discerning fan will recognize his abilities as being top drawer. Leon’s passing, size, ability to see plays develop and attitude make him an ideal fit among the ridiculous Oilers of tomorrow. The only question is will he join them today?
  15. C Kyle Platzer—His skills are ideal for the next Oilers because of two-way acumen and emerging offense. Platzer was a utility player when drafted but quickly emerged as a center who could be used in all situations. Exactly the kind of player who could spend several years in a support role with the Oilers. There are things about Platzer’s game that remind one of Kyle Brodziak.
  16. C Alexis Loiseau—Oilers have him on an AHL deal. He’s 21, 6.01, 180, he scored 96 points in 68 QMJHL games. Scouting reports have him as a versatile, skill forward.
  17. C Marco Roy—Another minor league deal, it’s going to be very interesting to see how he turns out at the pro level. Roy’s range made him a good fit for a checking and secondary offensive role, there’s a chance we see him spike offensively in his first pro season. I hope he gets ECHL time ala Josh Winquist and Mark Arcobello before him—ask to play every night young man, the city doesn’t matter.
  18. C Tyler Soy—Creative center who can pass the puck just like ringing a bell, he has size and speed issues and there was concern about consistency at times. I like him because Soy is one of the few guys at this camp who can flat out play with the elites—he’s very good with the puck and has good offensive instincts.
  19. C Cole Linaker—He brings size (6.02, 185) to a forward group that lacks in that area. He’s good in the faceoff circle, centered the checking line on his junior team and was aces on the PK. Hockey history never writes about these guys but they’re vital to winning.
  20. L Anton Slepyshev—This Penticton team is going to be drunk with skill, I imagine we’ll see Slepyshev cash a few. He’s arriving at a good time (Euro wingers have had ghastly timing this century from Jani Rita to Linus Omark) because the Oilers will need an inexpensive offensive winger in the fall of 2018. The Russian will probably arrive in the NHL before then but may be top six F at that time if things break well.
  21. L Mitchell Moroz—I had Kessy in this spot last time but Moroz has only one AHL season and may fit the rules better. I like him for this group because he’s healthy this time and should get more of a push. If the Oilers are genuinely interested in prospect development (and have trashed the slow play bs) then we’re going to see a lot of Moroz in training camp.
  22. L Connor Rankin—Rugged winger can score. Cody Nickolet: It’s been an interesting WHL career for Rankin. He started off with great production as a rookie (44 points in 70 games), slid a bit in his second year, bounced back again in year three before stagnating again last year. That up and down progression has probably scared off a few teams throughout his stint in the league, but he might be the kind of guy that can carve out a professional role over the next couple of years due to his well-rounded skillset.  Source
  23. L Braden Christoffer—Tough, undersized and skilled. Guy Flaming tells me he’s a hard worker and a blue collar type. 5.10, 185 and 147 pims, he also scored 26 goals so has some skill. Most of the videos available involve fighting, although he’s not a heavyweight.
  24. R Greg Chase—The one guy in this group who will get noticed is Greg Chase. I wouldn’t put it past him to slam the anthem singer in mid-“Canada” before game one. Skilled, rugged, edgy, maybe even over the line (why I wrote maybe is beyond me) sometimes, he’s going to fit this Oilers group well. He needs to show progress and listen to the coach, but Chase has an insane opportunity here.
  25. R Josh Winquist—Hat tip to Soup Fascist on this, makes sense the skill winger would be in Penticton so I’m going to include him. What I like about this player (he’s smart and he’s posted numbers that are worthy of notice in pro) are the things I wish we could say about some of Edmonton’s draft picks. I’m cheering for him but no idea if he’ll end up as an Oiler. Winquist auditions for all 30 teams every time he plays and the Oilers may well be developing a player for another NHL team.
  26. F Rihards Bukarts—Little ball of something else. Cody Nickolet: Rihards Bukarts is a shifty and skilled Latvian forward for the Brandon Wheat Kings…isn’t the biggest player but packs a lot of heart and skill into his frame…isn’t a super fast skater but possesses fantastic east-west skating ability…his shiftiness is aided by his low centre of gravity and strong lower body…could use a bit more pure power in his edges…some refined edgework would help his acceleration…is excellent at making subtle and quick dekes to throw off the opposition and create open ice for him or his linemates…is at his best when he makes the first available play as he can get caught being too fancy at times…passes the puck in a smart fashion, putting it in good spots for the receiving player. Source
  27. R Cole Sanford—Outstanding scorer, on the NHL.com list. Cody Nickolet: Cole Sanford is an undersized but skilled and gritty winger for the Medicine Hat Tigers…is in his 3rd year of NHL Draft eligibility after being passed over in both 2013 and 2014…is a solid skater…while not possessing a perfect stride or generating monstrous power, he has good jump and good edges…has above average speed and uses that to really push the pace of the game on a regular basis…footwork is good to go along with his edges, making him shifty and tough to defend in small spaces…is an extremely smart offensive player. Source

48 Responses to "THE HITCHHIKERS’ GUIDE TO THE ROOKIE CAMP"

1. oliveoilers says:

Don’t panic!

2. CurtisS says:

I thought i read to qualify for tournament you have to have less than 100 pro games under your belt?

CurtisS:
    I thought i read to qualify for tournament you have to have less than100 pro games under your belt?

It seems to be a moving target and there were rumors about some disagreement this year re: eligibility. We’ll see, hopefully in the next 24 hours.

4. Soup Fascist says:

Bohologo:
    “24.R Greg Chase—The one guy in this group who will get noticed is Greg Chase. I wouldn’t put it past him to slam the anthem singer in mid-“Canada” in game one.”

I am greatly amused by lines like this.

Also, anthem singer may have had it coming.

LT, any update why Winquist is not attending – too much pro hockey (assuming ECHL counts)? I believe he is still 21 years old and he was 2012 draft eligible.

5. Bag of Pucks says:

I was talking with my wife about the Tom Brady appeal decision the other day. Like me, she’s a fan of the player, and was happy with the decision but she still found his preemptive destruction of his cellphone problematic ( IE suggested inference of guilt).

My argument was I’m fine with Tom Brady destroying his cellphone cos I don’t care if his employer is the NE Patriots, Kraft Foods, the NFL or NASA, I’m not comfortable with a world where an employer has any rights to view your personal information. Goodell’s actions have proven him to be judge, jury and executioner and, with that in mind, what sensible person would willingly surrender their private information to someone so willing to abuse their power?

So, why is this relevant to the Oilers? Cos it’s none of our bloody business where and with whom Connor McDavid chooses to live, nor should it be any business of the Oilers. Sure, as fans it’s interesting to discuss. But ultimately, we as fans and the Oilers as an organization should carry zero influence in this decision. Connor is under contract to the Oilers to play hockey, he is not their indentured servant.

With the advent of the Internet and social media, we are seeing the serious erosion of privacy rights in our lifetime. It’s understandable, Pandora’s Box was opened before we had the legislation in place to protect ourselves. What’s worrisome however is the growing segment of society who seemingly fail to appreciate, respect and protect the privacy rights of the individual. A generation weened on social media is so used to surrendering it’s privacy, it extends that expectation to all. Bollocks.

And yeah, totally psyched about the rookie tournament. Happy that Tulupov is not attending.

Rihards Bukarts

This is a player I’m particularly interested in.

Only 0.83pts/gm in his draft year, but as SwedishOil has shown us, 1st year import rookies’ results are often low due to acclimating to a new country, language, type of hockey, etc.

His second year is good (not great) with a 1.19pts/gm, and this is better than over half of the forwards the Oilers have under contract (but not on the NHL roster)

5’9 and 192lbs? Awesome.

I bet he can be like a bowling ball out there.

If he shows well against the promising Dmen in this tourney I like him to get a contract.

7. wheatnoil says:

There’s really a lot of interesting names on the list, especially among the invites. Many of them look no worse than some of the mid-to-late round draft picks. If they some how slip through their draft year, they’re in an uphill climb to get picked as an over-ager.

It’s fascinating to think that Greg Chase could have been in that boat had the Oilers passed on him in the 7th round.

Soup Fascist: If it is that Goof, Donnelly from the Canucks, why you said “may” is beyond me. ?

LT, any update why Winquist is not attending – too much pro hockey (assuming ECHL counts)?I believe he is still 21 years old and he was 2012 draft eligible.

Re Winquist: Great point and I’ve added him. Makes sense, I missed him.

9. Clay says:

Ben Betker still sticks out in my mind from the Billy Moores Cup. Completely surprised by his skating ability. This may be a new regime, but he’ll get the “JF Jacques” treatment – big guys who can skate will get all kinds of opportunities.

Not saying that’s a bad thing here (within reason).

Woodguy:
    Rihards Bukarts

This is a player I’m particularly interested in.

5’9 and 192lbs?Awesome.

I bet he can be like a bowling ball out there.

One thing Red Line wrote about him stuck with me: He ALWAYS supports the puck. That alone will stand out among the rookies in Penticton.

Clay:
    Ben Betker still sticks out in my mind from the Billy Moores Cup.Completely surprised by his skating ability.This may be a new regime, but he’ll get the “JF Jacques” treatment – big guys who can skate will get all kinds of opportunities.

Not saying that’s a bad thing here (within reason).

I saw him good too. He’s a giant who can move, that’s going to be attractive.

12. oliveoilers says:

Lowetide: I saw him good too. He’s a giantwho can move, that’s going to be attractive.

LT, this is a totally different unexpected side! What does Mrs LT think?

LOL, innuendo aside, I’d rather use a guy like Betker for those bit roles than try to shoe-horn a guy like Draistl into something he’s not comfortable or too good for. I think TMac is aware of this, from his verbal the other day. If Drai is up, then top 6 minutes. If it’s just as 3rd or 4th line, then send him down.

13. RexLibris says:

Just one question needs answering: which player will be wearing #42?

14. rickithebear says:

Non-PP production:
    Alexis Loiiseau jan 94 20yr (.329)
    68gm 25 EVG 5 PPG 38 EVA 4 SHA 72 EV-SHP

first 8gm 2 PPG 5 PPA 5 PPP
    61gm 21 EVG 4 PPG 1 SHG 23 EVA 7 PPA
    NHLE 82gm 17 EVG 3 PPG 1SHG 19 EVA 6 PPA 36 EVP 9 PPP 1 SHP 46P

Last 42gm 18 VG 4 PPG 1 SHG 19 EVA 4 PPA 46P
    NHLE 21 EVG 5 PPG 1 SHG 22EVA 5PPA 43 EVP 10 PPP 1 SHP 54P

15. RexLibris says:

I’ve tentatively added Rimmer, Gernat, Oesterle, Simpson, and Reinhart.

Some or all of those may be disqualified due to professional status, but given the foggy nature of the tournament eligibility it seems a reasonable bet.

Still no word from the Flames on their roster, but the biggest changes I think we’ll see this year from last, based on what I’ve seen thus far, is that the Flames will have a much-improved defensive group (adding both Kylington and Andersson this June was a massive windfall) and that the Canucks’ prospect group is probably no better and perhaps even worse than 2014.

Also, if you haven’t started hating the Jets I would suggest getting started now. They have NHL caliber talent in the wings at virtually every position and have a slew of capable heavyweights ready to make all our lives miserable. Not to mention two very strong goaltending prospects.

I’d be surprised if the Oilers “win” Penticton, I’d put money on the Jets, but it will be a close thing between the Jets/Oilers/Flames.

16. Pastor of Disaster says:

“D Joey Laleggia— Even more encouraging, his college coach made a point of talking about his progress away from the puck as he matured in Denver.”

I hate parade-raining, but I appreciate grain-of-salt-taking, so I ask: are NCAA hockey coaches personally motivated to tout their prospects, like NCAA basketball coaches, to get them drafted higher, reflect highly on their program, and draw future top notch recruits? Or is College Hockey too small time for ulterior motives like that?

Either way: if it’s true, it’s dynamite for the player and team.

17. RexLibris says:

Pastor of Disaster:

I hate parade-raining, but I appreciate grain-of-salt-taking, so I ask: are NCAA hockey coaches personally motivated to tout their prospects, like NCAA basketball coaches, to get them drafted higher, reflect highly on their program, and draw future top notch recruits?Or is College Hockey too small time for ulterior motives like that?

Either way: if it’s true, it’s dynamite for the player and team.

After all, if the scout goes to his boss with that report and the player clearly disappoints, it is the scout’s job on the line, not the NCAA coach.

18. RexLibris says:

Interesting article about the entirely private arena development in SF Mission Bay area: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/business/a-basketball-arena-battles-for-san-franciscos-heart.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Courtesy: Scott McArthur ‏@LoganPhive 12h12 hours ago

@Kent_Wilson @FlamesNation a different view of new arenas #yyc wants arena but how to pay for it? http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/business/a-basketball-arena-battles-for-san-franciscos-heart.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
    View summary
    1 retweet 2 favorites

Denver University coach Jim Montgomery: “There’s two ways I think he’s become better. Defensively, he eats people up now with the way he plays his position and uses his legs and stick to defend. The second thing, I’ve just been really amazed by his will to win here, expecially in the last six weeks. He’s raised his mental game and his intensity to another level.”

20. Water Fire says:

I can’t wait for camp to start and things to get going. Not surprisingly this year with no worry about when the wheels fall off. A question if I might Lowetide, what site did you use to make the roster on your ON piece Faith? I like mocking up rosters to see how the cap works out, cheers.

Water Fire:

Ack! Sorry, I should have provided a link

22. RexLibris says:

Ti-Cats up 7-1 on the Argos early.

Lulay out 3 – 6 weeks with an MCL sprain.

Eagles behind the Cowboys in the NFL power rankings.

Plus ca change…

23. JD¡™ David O'Connor's Reel says:

RexLibris,

You forgot:

Riders on a winning streak!

24. RexLibris says:

JD¡™ David O’Connor’s Reel:
    RexLibris,

You forgot:

Riders on a winning streak!

When it comes to the Riders and streaking, yes I suppose one win is in keeping with their “modest” expectations.

25. RexLibris says:

Argos down 27-1 at the half.

I’d like to hear TSN justify the Argos-come-from-behind narrative in this situation.

26. me again says:

What about Bogdan Yakimov?? I would say he’s a dead cert to be part of the team.

me again:

Not sure of the invite list, but he’d be a welcome addition.

28. Bag of Pucks says:

RexLibris:
    I’ve tentatively added Rimmer, Gernat, Oesterle, Simpson, and Reinhart.

Agreed. Ehlers vs McDavid well worth the price of admission alone. Jets vs Oil could be a great rivalry for the forseeable future.

29. Pastor of Disaster says:

Certainly is an encouraging verbal.

30. Pastor of Disaster says:

RexLibris: Fair point, but I think if we’re talking reputation then giving a fair account of the player would be the better move for a coach, creating a reputation amongst scouts that your word can be taken at face value rather than being one who inflates their players.

Great point. I’m just curious about the system in general, I doubt there’s enough incentive in University coaching to smudge the facts about players. I hope Laleggia turns out, he’s a personal favourite.

31. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: Ack! Sorry, I should have provided a link

Thanks – couldn’t find it with the Googles

32. Receptor Antagonist says:

Off topic, but if anyone knows of link to a decent stream that someone from south of the 49th can catch the labour day classic I’d be much obliged!

33. leadfarmer says:

Could someone please post a calendar of events for the next month for all of us far away from Edmonton. Thank u in advance

34. Adam Wu says:

Bag of Pucks:

It’s his private phone. There could be any number of things on it he might not want his employer to see, or become public knowledge, that have nothing whatsoever to do with air pressures in footballs.

35. stevezie says:

Even if he did deflate the balls this is the equivalent of a player using an illegal curve. I haven’t seen so much ink spilled so pointlessly since the Exxon Valdez.

36. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I like Platzer among the longer shot guys. Every time he shows up he outperforms expectations. Seriously, I swear every time we’ve had a chance to watch him he’s out scored and out played guys ranked ahead of him. Wouldn’t shock me if he pushes his way into the NHL through sheer force of will. Brodziak is an apt comparison.

Receptor Antagonist:

Couldn’t find one. Sorry man.

38. meanashell11 says:

stevezie:

Not to mention his performance improved in the second half after they changed the balls……

39. RexLibris says:

Adam Wu: Fans of the old Babylon 5 scifi series might recognize the line “Everyone lies. The innocent lie because they don’t want to be blamed for something they did not do. The guilty lie because they have no choice.”

40. oliveoilers says:

meanashell11: the balls

Tom “The Balls” Brady.

41. oliveoilers says:

RexLibris: how does one lose an entire space station?!)

Star Trek almost lost an entire franchise around a space station….

Brady provided all the destroyed phone’s metadata from the phone company, so whether the phone physically existed or not did not matter one iota. The NFL saying he destroyed the phone was pure character assassination.

The NFL had Brady’s phone metadata, and the two Patriot employees phones, so they had everything they needed to have. They had the content of Brady’s messages to the employees from the employee’s phones.

The only reason the NFL needed Brady’s phone was to snoop through his private life, or to go on a fishing expedition through his life.

The NFL has NEVER retracted the false information about the deflation levels leaked in the immediately after the scandal broke.

The actual deflation levels were on the borderline based on the study undertaken by the NFL investigation. Arguably the evidence was inconclusive.

The proper thing to do would have been to wait a year to decide judgement so a full season’s data on deflation levels at half time could have been collected from actual game situations.

But Goodell decided on a kangaroo court instead of explaining why they should wait a full season until they had a season’s worth of halftime data.

Abuse of process is why Brady won in the lower court.

Now the NFL may win on appeal because it is a management friendly Court of Appeal and the CBA does make Goodell effectively a “god”. The lower court decided that even a “god” should be not be abusive of process. It will be interesting to see what the Appeal Court decides.

43. oliveoilers says:

godot10,

Brady texted details about his idea of the ‘Swarm’ to Eakins…..

True story.

44. oliveoilers says:

godot10,

Just yankin’ ya chain, Godot!

On a serious note, it is my belief that Brady is as guilty as a pantless three year old standing over a pile of poop. However, and it’s the mother of howevers, what this really highlights is the fact that one of the world’s most followed sport’s regulations over the what one would think the most fundamental object of the game, the ball, is so far behind the times, Donald Trump called them progressive. (I heart hyperbole!)

Look at soccer or rugby, and that sh*t is tight! League provided, referee controlled. They are good balls! Nobody can question the balls! Balls! (So immature, but it makes me chuckle.)

45. Adam Wu says:

RexLibris: Nothing typified human stubborness more than the “5” backstory of the other four stations meeting with tragic and/or mysterious ends (I mean, really, how does one lose an entire space station?!) and yet perpetually rebuilding.

Stolen by alien gods, naturally. (Well, aliens so powerful they might as well have been gods)

46. 2015 Edmonton Oilers Rookie Camp and Young Stars Tournament Roster - Beer League Heroes says:

[…] you’d like a more descriptive player-by-player analysis, check out this post by […]