NOTHING’S UP (BUT THE RENT, MISTER!)

One of the reasons I build a three tiered list for training camp is there are times during the next two weeks when news hits and we forget. I’m not sure what happens in the brain to cause a re-set, but I do it lots, always have. Today, the Oilers brought together their “A” roster and that group did not include Darnell Nurse. Early speculation had an injury as the problem (Teddy Purcell is in fact injured) but Nurse is with the AHL group. Should we be surprised? Let’s look at the list we established before training camp.

CERTAIN OILERS

SEPT 17 CERTAIN OILERSThere is no Darnell Nurse here, and none of these men is in any danger during TC so far. Now, we’ve heard Nikita Nikitin is slow again, that Teddy Purcell is hurt and that Taylor Hall had a (slight) injury. That’s it. That’s all. If Nurse isn’t on the big list, that’s to be expected. We agreed during the period before TC, right?

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS

PUSHING FOR JOBSHere we find Darnell, and his impressive (based on reports) pre-season debut puts him alongside others who showed well first game out this fall. I’d count Leon Draisaitl as the de facto ‘winner’ on night one from this list, with Griffin Reinhart and both goalies also in photo. Fair? Andrew Miller scored a goal. Good arrow. I saw Anton Slepyshev have a good forechecking shift. Good arrow. Not much movement but this is miles from the final scene of this TC.

THE DISTANT BELLS

sept 17 distant bellsNow. THIS is a list where even one good showing does (imo) mean something. Example: Laurent Brossoit. It doesn’t mean he’s going to make the team but the GM and coaching staff noticed and that’s a good thing. One of the talking points from Todd McLellan after the game surrounded four good outings (“The great thing we’ve done here now is create competition in the net”) last night.

If we’re looking for the next group of demotions, this list supplies the names most likely to be on it. From here, I can guess:

• Martin Gernat and Mitchell Moroz could be placed on IR (Purcell also possible)
  • Laurent Brossoit and Eetu Laurikainen are sent to Bakersfield.
  • David Musil, Dillon Simpson, Jordan Oesterle are sent to Bakersfield. I’ve excluded Joey Laleggia because the young man keeps showing up in a good way—if you’re looking for an early story, my guess is Brossoit and Laleggia are part of the conversation on a higher level than we expected going into camp.
  • Ryan Hamilton, Kale Kessy, Josh Winquist and Braden Christoffer are sent to Bakersfield. Don’t be surprised if we hear about Winquist and or Christoffer getting a full NHL deal (50-man) at some point this fall or winter.
  • Greg Chase and Matt Ford are sent to Bakersfield. Chase hasn’t blown the doors off but he’s got some arrows (shot in the Golden Bears game, did some things last night. The young man has a Mike Keane-like way of drawing attention, thank goodness he’s not a Hab or Star.
  • Jujhar Khaira, Kyle Platzer and Phil McRae are sent to Bakersfield. So far in main camp, none of these men has moved the needle and none have been in a feature role. That’s a tell.

ference draisaitl

IS THERE ANYTHING NEWSWORTHY TODAY?

Yes! Leon Draisaitl spent some time on the 1line last night and with Teddy Purcell’s injury it may mean he spends shifts with Hall and McDavid. That’s some extreme firepower and with McLellan’s comments last night (“The right side is a strength if he’s going to play on the wing”) maybe we’re seeing something. I’ll post this tomorrow morning as part of the game day thread but here’s how practice lines and pairings looked today:

• Hall—McDavid—Draisaitl (McLellan may get a statue by Christmas with innovative thinking like this)
  • Pouliot—Nuge—Eberle (Still the 1line but it won’t be long. Ridiculous 2line, give your head a shake)
  • Korpikoski—Lander—Yakupov (The ‘screw the Euro kids’ offense’ tradition continues!) 🙂
  • Klinkhammer—Letestu—Hendricks (A nice arrow for Klinkhammer. This could be a tell)
  • Gazdic—Miller—Pitlick (Good sign for all three imo. Gazdic part of the A group, Miller as C, Pitlick hanging in)
  • Sekera—Fayne (Top pairing, I think they’ll start the season together)
  • Klefbom—Schultz (Second pairing, I think they’ll start the season together)
  • Reinhart—Nikitin (Interesting to see this pairing. Could they be third pair opening night? I say yes)
  • Ference—Gryba (This is not a good combination to my eye)

78 Responses to "NOTHING’S UP (BUT THE RENT, MISTER!)"

1. TheOtherJohn says:

Love Joey Legs so far

Think it’s unfair for team to force Reinhart to drag Nikitan up and down the ice. He’s a big kid but that’s a pretty hefty dead weight

Draisatl is seizing opportunity that presents itself

2. marty62 says:

Listening to Coach talk about Nurse its very apparent that the Defense is still very fluid. Nikitin could still play his way off this team. Had fun at work in calgary today, kept replaying the highlight of Nurse vs Smith tilt with the volume loud……..

3. Rondo says:

LT,

“Success isn’t owned. It’s leased and rent is due every day.” ~ J.J. Watt

4. RexLibris says:

My Canucks RE has me in my very first twitter war!

Yay! I feel so grown up and mature now that I’m receiving 140-character criticisms of my 5000+ word blog article!

*basking in the love*

5. Moose says:

Condors open camp on the 27th, if I’m not mistaken, so I think the actual physical movement of bodies out of town will start then. It also matches up with Oilers pre-schedule thinning out (only 3 games left after that point), and McLellan will want to see something resembling the final roster from there on out.

Something has to give soon on the blue. It seems like they’re giving Reinhart every chance to win a 3rd pairing job which means one of Ference/Nikitin is going on waivers or out of town in salary retention move. Gryba CAN be a press box shuttling #7, but can’t imagine Chia acquired (using real assets) to play that role. My guess is Reinhart/Gryba is your 3rd pair, Ference as #7 and Nikitin gets the axe. Europe a la Joensuu?

There are simply too many young bodies in Bakersfield/Norfolk to have a vet buried down there taking ice time.

6. LoDog says:

In fairness to Gryba, I don’t think Ference-Anyone is a good combination.

As of now Nikitin and Gryba fighting for the 6th D.

4.5 million sucks for a 6/7 dman if he can’t pick it up through camp.

7. RexLibris says:

Rondo:
    LT,

“Success isn’t owned. It’s leased and rent is due every day.” ~ J.J. Watt

Not true.

Google has purchased the proprietary rights to “success” and currently have over seventeen litigation proceedings in place against “successful” individuals and/or organizations.

The best you can hope for today is “job complete”. Not as flashy, but so much easier to attain.

8. RexLibris says:

LoDog:
    In fairness to Gryba, I don’t think Ference-Anyone is a good combination.

As of now Nikitin and Gryba fighting for the 6th D.

4.5 million sucks for a 6/7 dman if he can’t pick it up through camp.

9. Bar_Qu says:

RexLibris: I’d pay money to watch Ference – Engelland. We could retain salary, if that gets it done.

I certainly can’t understand why people would get into twitter wars with you, what with all your reasonable takes on things. 😉

RexLibris:
    My Canucks RE has me in my very first twitter war!

*basking in the love*

That’s DSF, Rex.

11. JD¡™ says:

RexLibris: my very first twitter war!

12. meanashell11 says:

I think the Nurse on the B team is just message sending. Nurse was a little eager and then the fight. He did very well but you don’t want him doing that every night with that size of guy. It’s an “old bull, young bull” kinda situation.

13. delooper says:

meanashell11:

Meh, I doubt it’s that complicated. Established players went to the A list, less established players to the B. It’s a default. Everything after this is performance-based.

14. oilswell says:

I didn’t watch many Sharks games the last few years, but is it really true that there were NO players allowed who had a little skill but were soft as Purcell? I have concerns about even trying to fill a roster card with 23 Lucics.

Looking forward to the point where McLellan can say the team is out of the infancy phase and into their toddler phase. The hockey is not really as entertaining to watch until the team can walk around freely, pulling tablecloths down, falling over the dog, and banging their heads against the corner of the coffee table.

15. rickithebear says:

Nikitin had the best box protection results facing 1st comp since souray.
    Everyone on keeps refering to nikitin dragging others down.
    Every dman had there best ratio of good hsca games to bad hsca games with Nikitin.
    Fayne
    Klefbom
    Petry
    Schultz
    We need to give up less goals.

When people look at him and base his defensive play on being able to skate the puck up ice.
    I think
    A pass moves the puck quicker
    Leading the puck up ice creates a higher risk of free lane to net.
    Some people on this board are real stupid when identifying good defencemen.
    You know defending the net.

Better yet the morons complain about Mact trading for Nikitin.
    Mact went our First comp d sucks.
    He signned the best HSCA d in the game.
    And got the best HSCA 1st comp results from Nikitin since Souray in 08-09.
    THE BEST IN 7 YEARS.
    He improved the 1st comp net d and morons think that is bad!

MacT how dare you win the lottery and get Mcdavid.
    Morons!

Yeah I know 13 of the current 25 group A players are Mact’s.
    But bad Mact.

16. hoser313 says:

I can’t help but think that Nurse’s “exuberance” is actually just his style of play.

I.e. he might always have a bit of “rover” in his game like Burns or Byfuglien.

I would hope that the coaches try to distinguish between a player “looking” out of position and a player actually getting beat by being out of position.

17. cadooo says:

McL addressed Nurse being in the B Group in the post practice avail. http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=835692

Basically said Nurse could easily be in Group A. “I think you’ll see Darnell in that group over the next little bit.”

Listening to him speak calms the nerves.

18. "Steve Smith" says:

Rondo:
    LT,

“Success isn’t owned. It’s leased and rent is due every day.” ~ J.J. Watt

Agreed: success is *totally* not worth it.

19. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear: Some people on this board are real stupid when identifying good defencemen.
    You know defending the net.

…keeping the puck out of the zone so there’s less need to defend the net.

You realize that the issue is that people don’t share your (arbitrarily selected) first principles, right? Because you always seem so baffled that anybody could possibly disagree with your assessment of a player, since the measure that you have selected as being the objectively correct one (one!) unambiguously supports your assessment. But of course, people don’t disagree with your application of the measure, they disagree with your selection of it. Given the wide year-over-year variations in many of your preferred measures, I’d say they have a point.

20. striker says:

“Raising before the flop is a losers strategy. Always has been.” Re. Klefbom
    – A dedicated current reader

“Better to put your chips in after the river and you’re sure your hand is busted” Re. Brandon Sutter
    – Me (advocate of removing all doubt)

21. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: That’s DSF, Rex.

Oh my! I swoon, sir!

That’s actually really funny.

He’s much more convincing (and yes, I am choosing that word carefully) around these parts.

Well, 140 characters can make fools of us all.

Not the first time I’ve had that complaint though, which I find really funny.

22. speeds says:

striker:
    “Raising before the flop is a losers strategy.Always has been.” Re. Klefbom
    – A dedicated current reader

– Me (advocate of removing all doubt)

With Klefbom, I think most complaints, if you want to call them that, have more to do with bet sizing that the act of betting itself.

23. book¡je says:

“Steve Smith”: Agreed: success is *totally* not worth it.

Remember boy, if something is hard to do, it’s probably not worth doing.

24. Mr DeBakey says:

book¡je: Remember boy, if something is hard to do, it’s probably not worth doing.

Says Grandpa Bookje as he heads into the hills back of his cabin to tend to his marijuana crop.

Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably.

The lesson is, never try.

striker:
    “Raising before the flop is a losers strategy.Always has been.” Re. Klefbom
    – A dedicated current reader

– Me (advocate of removing all doubt)

Whoever gave the “raising before the flop is a loser strategy” hasn’t a clue about poker strategy.

A better rule is “if you know you have the best hand, getting more money in the pot is never a bad strategy, regardless of what street you’re on.”

Shoe goes on, shoe goes off

28. stush18 says:

I think something were missing is we can send nikitin down to the minors.

In the likely event that he is unclaimed, he sits. You aren’t required to play him, for those worried about taking away ice time from prospects. He becomes a healthy scratch in the minors.

This may all be uneccessary however. McLellan endorsed his game, and I’ve heard mixed reports on how he played?

29. Really? says:

hoser313,

Watching Nurse play reminds me of how PK Subban started his career in the NHL. There was chaos, some roving, attempts at big hits and hot dogging. To date Nurse’s game tends to resemble the young PK.

We can only hope he develops into as good an overall player.

30. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

Woodguy,

Take it up with DSF. Thats what he told me on Twitter. I don’t play cards so have no clue.

Real_Hockey_Fan:
    Woodguy,

It makes a lot of sense that DSF would give terrible poker advice.

32. G Money says:

Errr, guys, do I need to remind you about the critically important life lesson we learned from Beetlejuice?

33. book¡je says:

Shoe goes on, shoe goes off

Man, I miss that show. It was brilliant. Hopefully someday they bring it back.

34. book¡je says:

G Money:

We shouldn’t feed DSF after midnight?

35. HeatTreaterJoe says:

book¡je,

If he’s like a gremlin, we should also try to keep him out of bright light and not let him get wet…

36. JD¡™ says:

Real_Hockey_Fan: I don’t play cards so have no clue.

Not even ‘go fish’?

My strategy is to win, and if that isn’t going well I just tip the table over.

37. dustrock says:

Based on T-Mac (reverse of Mac T & old nickname for Tracy McGrady gah!) comments about Nurse, it’s not ability that’s keeping him in Group B but pro contracts.

38. G Money says:

book¡je: We shouldn’t feed DSF after midnight?

The truth is out there.

39. rickithebear says:

Steve: trite terms from the past is the structure of corsi and scoring.

DRIVE THE FUCKING NET!

Zone entry is reduced by a blue pressure but dependent on a Forward back-check and Forward defensive positional responsibility.

16% of Even goals from point and Above circle.
    32% of Even goals from slot and edge of circles.
    52% of Even goals from Box.
    A D who forces perimeter. by physically defending the Box.
    Not going out of slot and box position to force a hit.
    Hits to break cycle near back net play.
    Block of slot shots.
    results in low HCS and MCS.
    D with less than .8 hits/gm and a 1.40+ times more blocks.
    A simple approach to forced perimeter and non chasing defence of the net
    Adresses 84% of even goals scored.

Offence is an option after the net is defended.

Cause cheap cap forwards can outscore LOW EVGA resulting from strong Slot and Box defending and
    consistent above average Med and High chance save%.

Best example of how useless PP points are as a measure of a players value.
    PK subban had 21 PP points last year playing 82gm of 3.52 min/gm
    results in 4.811 60min segments on PP for the season.
    His teams 6.24 PPGF/60 is .13/60 more than the league average
    .13G/60 X 4.811 60min = .625 PPG

They pay Subban 9Million dollars to play Even and add .625 PPG/season to the team.

Give me Fayne who is the best High chance shot defender in the game when in a properly coached box and slot defensive game.

Matched with a great HCS save % goalie and you are looking at low EVGA that can be outscored by Cheaper cap hit forwards.

Penetration after penetration.

Helios 10.01
    Lebda 11.08
    Rafalski 11.69
    Lidstrom 11.73
    Lilja 12.03
    Kronwall 12.38

2009 Penguins had terrible D numbers but outscored the opposition.

09-10 CHI
    Campbell 11.66
    Hjarlmasson 12.14
    Sopel 13.56
    Seabrook 13.57
    Keith 13.62

10-11 BOS had poor box protect numbers an average outscoring ability but seemed to benefit from unusual penalty decisions.

11-12 LAK

Muzzin 11.50
    Doughty 12.49
    Greene 13.35
    Martinez 13.62
    Voynov 13.75
    Mitchell 14.68

Fayne 10.05 #1 HSCA D in game in NJ.
    Sekera 12.05 2nd comp HSCA D in BUF/LAK Ruff/Sutter
    Nikitin 12.45 2nd comp HSCA D in CBJ
    Gryba 13.99 2nd/3rd comp HSCA D in OTT

Schultz w/ nikitin
    6 better than avg HSCA gm
    1 worse than avg HSCA gm

klefbom w/ Fayne
    10 better than avg HSCA gm
    6 worse than avg HSCA gm

Talbot only goalie with better than .8500+ or .8600+ save % for HCS last 2 seasons.

40. Pouzar says:

Anyone know where to get the Corgis from last nights games?

41. jp says:

oilswell:

Looking forward to the point where McLellan can say the team is out of the infancy phase and into their toddler phase.The hockey is not really as entertaining to watch until the team can walk around freely, pulling tablecloths down, falling over the dog, and banging their heads against the corner of the coffee table.

Haha! I think last years Oilers were in the toddler phase.

42. Unwashed Oilfan says:

Hey LT. Thank you for your site and especially allowing for healthy (and sometimes un-healthy) debates without feeling the need to censor and ban over slight disagreements.

Another site where you write used to be another of my favorite sites. It used to be a fun site where you could enjoy the ever changing directions. Heck, the site was founded on the premise of venting anger over the Ryan Smyth trade and encouraged venting and frustration. Now tonight I see the Glass Man has taken to attacking other writers on the site.

I happen to be related by marriage to a former “overlord” and I voiced my displeasure over Glass Man’s superiority complex. Overlord laughed and said its the same thing they all feel there but some are afraid to try and reign him in. Anyway, now I’m rambling and big timing with the name dropping. Thank you again for allowing the ever changing direction and debate of differing opinions and viewpoints.

43. JD¡™ says:

rickithebear: This site has a hard on for guys who can move the puck but defend the net like a whore.
    Penetration after penetration.

I think they try to ☒☒☒☒ ☒☒ ☒☒☒☒☒☒ ☒☒ ☒☒☒ ☒☒☒☒☒☒… y’know.

I would also say that you’re not far off on the puck moving thing. Some say the game is shifting to favor those players.

And isn’t someone here trying to track defenders who break up the play at the blueline?

44. RexLibris says:

JD¡™: Want to really cause a social media uproar? Increase the price of your blog by 5500%!

I’d gladly increase my prices, but Ryan at FN would just pass along the cost to the reader.

Unwashed Oilfan:
    Hey LT.Thank you for your site and especially allowing for healthy (and sometimes un-healthy) debates without feeling the need to censor and ban over slight disagreements.

Another site where you write used to be another of my favorite sites.It used to be a fun site where you could enjoy the ever changing directions.Heck, the site was founded on the premise of venting anger over the Ryan Smyth trade and encouraged venting and frustration.Now tonight I see the Glass Man has taken to attacking other writers on the site.

I happen to be related by marriage to a former “overlord” and I voiced my displeasure over Glass Man’s superiority complex.Overlord laughed and said its the same thing they all feel there but some are afraid to try and reign him in.Anyway, now I’m rambling and big timing with the name dropping.Thank you again for allowing the ever changing direction and debate of differing opinions and viewpoints.

All are welcome here but if you use the coffee milk and don’t replace it things can get ugly!!!! 🙂

46. RexLibris says:

Bar_Qu: I certainly can’t understand why people would get into twitter wars with you, what with all your reasonable takes on things.

Yep, Mr. Logical is my (other) nom de plume. Totally and 100% rational and balanced…except when I watch Eskimos games and the Oilers play the Flames. Or in matters of politics. Or discussions of religion. Or history. But otherwise, completely unbiased.

47. RexLibris says:

G Money:

That marrying Winona Ryder, while incredibly tempting, will only result in the banishment of one’s soul to hell? But my GOD it would be worth it!

48. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: All are welcome here but if you use the coffee milk and don’t replace it things can get ugly!!!!

Relax. I switched it with Milk of the Poppy two weeks ago.

This place has never been happier.

49. RexLibris says:

jp: Haha! I think last years Oilers were in the toddler phase.

This year’s Oilers can take themselves to the bathroom and don’t need to be reminded to wash their hands.

Progress.

50. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: Last year’s Oilers were only slightly removed from the stage where you don’t need to check to see if it is time to change their diaper. You KNOW.

Progress.

Forget the Oilers, what about us as fans? We’ve been stuck in trust versus mistrust for years! Finally with McDavid we have some hope!

51. jp says:

Progress.

I dunno. There were more than a couple of “accidents” last year. MAYBE they were feeling comfortable in big boy undies by the all star break….

I hope you’re right about this year….

52. jp says:

rickithebear:

Is that your synopsis of the 2010-11 cup run?

53. jp says:

rickithebear,

Also:

#1) You aren’t giving much context for what’s a good HSCA. 11 or 12 looks elite. I feel like you’ve quoted 15-17 as being terrible. So 13-14 is average?

#2) Is HSCA a better predictor of playoff success than simple shots against?

05-06 Oilers 25.5 (1st)

06-07 ANA 27.4 (5th)

07-08 DET 23.5 (1st)

08-09 PIT 30.3 (18th, but they outscored everyone)

09-10 CHI 25.1 (1st)

10-11 BOS 32.7 (29th WTF!? Maybe it was the penalties. Or maybe it was Tim Thomas)

11-12 LAK 27.4 (T4th)

12-13 CHI 26.2 (4th)

13-14 LAK 26.2 (2nd)

54. G Money says:

RexLibris: Yep, Mr. Logical is my (other) nom de plume.

When I was a kid*, I was given a Mr. Logic cartoon book from the UK.

Brits.

*By which I mean University or so.

55. "Steve Smith" says:

G Money,

I think the author of that strip may be conflating “logic” with “trivia” and “the arbitrary so-called ‘rules’ of language”, neither of which has much to do with logic.

(And as long as we’re talking about the aforesaid arbitrary ‘rules’, they denote that “inflammable” and “flammable” actually mean the same thing, so no issue there.)

56. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”,

Yes, part of the fun of the strip is that it is quite crude and often mistaken in its interpretations.

Reputedly, its also based on the cartoonists brother, later diagnosed with Aspergers, so in its own way its also mean!

57. "Steve Smith" says:

G Money,

Huh – I’ve been repeatedly diagnosed with Asperger’s myself. Not by anybody qualified to do so, mind you, but every first year psych student I’ve ever met has been pretty confident of it.

58. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”,

At least you’re not OCD. Otherwise you would have pointed out that I should have said “it’s also” instead of “its also”. Probly* others to*.

59. "Steve Smith" says:

G Money:
    “Steve Smith”, Probly* others to*.

Like the missing apostrophes in “cartoonists” and “Aspergers”? Yeah, don’t think that I missed those violations of the arbitrary so-called “rules” of language (ASCRoL).

60. Yeti says:

jfry:
    OT :: article about taylor chorney:

Nice read and good to see him have success.
    But I still think Cody Wild is the better prospect.

61. "Steve Smith" says:

Yeti: Nice read and good to see him have success.
    But I still think Cody Wild is the better prospect.

62. G Money says:

“Steve Smith”,

“Steve Smith” and his damn “rules”!

Lemme tell ya, apostrophes (unlike quotation marks) are hard.

63. G Money says:

MacT never challenged Chorney or Wild. There’s the problem right there.

64. "Steve Smith" says:

jfry:
    OT :: article about taylor chorney:

The article says he’d only played 63 NHL games prior to being called up by Pittsburgh. I thought, “that can’t be right; he played at least twice that many for Edmonton alone!”

Nope – turns out it was only 59. Time flies when you’re having fun, I guess.

65. jp says:

"Steve Smith": The article says he’d only played 63 NHL games prior to being called up by Pittsburgh.I thought, “that can’t be right; he played at least twice that many for Edmonton alone!”

Nope – turns out it was only 59.Time flies when you’re having fun, I guess.

It just seemed like twice as many.

And he may actually have gotten 126 games worth of experience in that short time. Or was it 1 game 126 times. In any case, I wish him well.

Also, Bryan (with a Y) Young. I always thought he was the least deserving of any Oiler prospect to have actually suited up for an NHL game (and 17 at that). It seems he’s finally found his offensive game in his late 20s (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11010).

66. rickithebear says:

jp:
    rickithebear,

Also:

#2) Is HSCA a better predictor of playoff success than simple shots against?

05-06 Oilers 25.5 (1st)

06-07 ANA 27.4 (5th)

07-08 DET 23.5 (1st)

08-09 PIT 30.3 (18th, but they outscored everyone)

09-10 CHI 25.1 (1st)

11-12 LAK 27.4 (T4th)

12-13 CHI 26.2 (4th)

13-14 LAK 26.2 (2nd)

there are only 9 goalies with HCS save % better than league average each of the last 2 seasons.
    talbot better tham .8600
    Price ; Crawford; Halak better than .8400
    Holtby; Varlamov; Hiller; Bernier; reimer better than .8330

My average is is based on a range near the Median not mean. A more TOI adjusted Number would get you into a lower avg.
    which can be roughly checked by taking the mid range of team HSCA.

you do not want anything below 15.40.

that is why you look for repetitive sub 15.40 HSCA games.
    Klefobm-Fayne
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Nikitin -Schultz
    Nikitin -Petry

67. kev says:

So tomorrow I guess we’ll get to see how this 3 on 3 OT might look like this season. For those interested there’s some interesting quotes from Todd Nelson on the success OKC had last year, an AHL best 14 OT wins (btw Texas Stars had worst)

“For the most part, Nelson said the Barons used two forwards and one defenceman. Depending on the makeup of his roster, Nelson said he “wouldn’t hesitate” to use three forwards or even three defencemen at a time, particularly if they were mobile.

“This will be about puck possession more than anything,” Nelson said. “You have to have the balanced mindset that you’re not going to sit back, but you still have to play good defence. I think you’re going to see coaches develop a lot to see if they can produce 2-on-1s, whether that’s by turning back and regrouping and gaining more speed.

“It will also help quite a bit if you have a goalie who can play the puck well. You’ll see teams start to send guys in that case to see if they can spring a break.””

Perhaps we’ll see Brossoit shine a little more…?

68. jp says:

rickithebear: JP PDO is driven by the variances in save % of goalies in the med and high chance shots.

talbot better tham .8600
    Price ; Crawford; Halak better than .8400
    Holtby; Varlamov; Hiller; Bernier; reimer better than .8330

which can be roughly checked by taking the mid range of team HSCA.

you do not want anything below 15.40.

that is why you look for repetitive sub 15.40 HSCA games.
    Klefobm-Fayne
    Nikitin-Fayne
    Nikitin -Schultz
    Nikitin -Petry

Glad to hear confirmation Talbot is good.

So is HSCA a better (or even equivalent) predictor of playoff success than shots against?

69. "Steve Smith" says:

RIP Yogi Berra. I’m not the baseball fan that many here are, but I’m at least the comedy fan, so I feel this passing as much as any of you.

70. Yeti says:

“Steve Smith”: I was trying to remember the third one always to be mentioned in the same breath as those two, and then realized that it was Jeff Petry. So, uh, I guess that debate’s been settled, eh?

I think we should give it five more years rather than rush to a judgement.

71. unca miltie says:

“Steve Smith”:
    RIP Yogi Berra.I’m not the baseball fan that many here are, but I’m at least the comedy fan, so I feel this passing as much as any of you.

One of the heroes of my youth..Yankee fan all the way till the expos came on the scene

Loved Yogi Berra. I’ve read a ton of baseball history and frankly I don’t think most younger folks know how great a ballplayer he was. His ‘aw shucks’ demeanor and fame across the years for other things maybe obscured it. HOF, inner circle, without throw. He was Johnny Bench, for longer.

73. OF17 says:

jp: It just seemed like twice as many.

Sebastien Bisaillon takes that cake.

74. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

That spreadsheet attached makes me want to throw up. They’ve got to do something. It’s across all sports, I think. Look at what NCAA athletes in big college football programs seemingly get away with, too.

75. Visually better says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Absolutely disgusting. I know there is obviously some instances where the players are taken advantage of and falsely accused, but on that spreadsheet when reading the descriptions it actually makes me sick to my stomach.

76. jp says:

OF17: Sebastien Bisaillon takes that cake.

Oh there’s a TON of guys over the past 25 years who would never have hit an NHL ice sheet if not for the Oilers (Bisaillon almost certainly being one of them).

Young is the poster child for me though: The undersized defenseman who scored 64-0-10-10 in his OHL draft +2 year. Not a puck mover apparently. 1 goal in his entire 3 yr Jr career!

Word was he was actually a half decent prospect. And sure enough, he made the big leagues for a while…

Lord I hope those days are over!