TYPE O NEGATIVE

The one thing about last night’s game that we all have to agree on: The Jets didn’t send much. Aside from Burmistrov, Chiarot, Lowry, Hutchinson, Winnipeg’s opening night lineup was home and dry last night. What conclusions can we draw from the game? Not much, but there were some telling performances—especially when placed alongside the competition.

OILERS BLUE LAST NIGHT

sep 23 d corsi

• Reinhart looked very good against AHL competition. He played a very efficient game, stayed in his lane and won battles to make the safe play. I especially liked his PK work. McLellan used the word “poised” and it fits well. I thought he was fast enough, too.
  • Gryba has some mobility issues but (like Reinhart) he defended well and was sound in his positioning. I’m not sure they make an ideal pair—not exactly a lot of pinpoint passing—but tonight they looked the part of NHL defensemen playing a minor league team.
  • Schultz scored a nice goal and then almost immediately afterward made a ghastly pass to Leon that was basically a suicide play. Turnover, JS late late on a shift and going the wrong way, disaster straight ahead. I did like his positioning more than last year though, I think it’s pretty clear he’s come in determined to turn this around. Mobile player, got into a scrum too. The goal he scored came in the one area we can consider a true strength—finding open ice in the offensive zone and getting good chances. Godspeed, young man. Watch the suicide passes. He looked confident, can he maintain that against an NHL roster?
  • Klefbom looked (as always) capable, he has a nice range of skills and I bet McLellan uses him a lot as the season wears on. What is his offensive game? 30 points? More? less? He’s been here awhile and I’ve kind of marked him as a 30-point guy (Staois plus a little) but watching him tonight he’s quite creative. He was half-wall for a bit, made a nifty pass for (I think Leon) a decent chance on net.
  • Oesterle looked like a guy who has a few more lessons to learn. Good speed but he got walked early and I think that’s something he’s going to have to improve. It wasn’t about size, it was about positioning. He didn’t do anything to stand out in a good way (that I saw).
  • Nurse really needs to simplify his game. I think the range he brings gives him all kinds of opportunities to make this roster but if you put a dot on the ice where he was positioned at the point of a turnover last night there are a few dots that suggest he has some room to grow. This was AHL competition and he stood out for his speed, his physical play but also for his rushes to nowhere and dabbling in being where he shouldn’t be when the puck turned over. He recovered easily, but this is AHL competition and the real Jets would have made him pay.

talbot capture 3

TALBOT

30 of 32, .938. The second goal seemed a little wobbly but he was solid in the first period. It’s been awhile since an Oilers G stopped the shot and didn’t give back a kevlar rebound, so I felt calm when him in the cage. First one in off Nurse? I think so.

rnh barons

(SOME) OILERS FORWARDS LAST NIGHT

• Nail Yakupov: Played just 11 minutes (1 on the power play) and wasn’t a feature player. I liked Yak, he was dogged on the forecheck and possessed without the puck during 3-on-3. Leon missed him on the 2-on-0 but he had a nice game (competition alert)
  • Jordan Eberle: Five shots, a goal and he was dancing much of the time last night, as you would expect against this competition. He may be a little quicker this year (or it might be the Jets kids) but I saw him good. He was 12-13 (48%) on the 5×5 Corsi %.
  • Matt Hendricks: Nice penalty shot goal for the winner, he had the tougher assignment (29% ZS, 59% Corsi for 5×5) and played a nice game. Competition alert, but a reminder that veterans have value.
  • Lauri Korpikoski: He’s a bigger guy in an Oilers uniform than you’d think, played a ton on the PK and won battles. His Corsi for 5×5 % (39%) matched his zone start (40%) and I thought he was physical and effective 4×5.
  • Leon Draisaitl: I think we’re probably at a point of moving him from “uncertain Oilers” to “Certain Oilers” but let’s wait until the competition improves.
  • Anton Lander: I thought he was one of the best players on the ice, strong with and without the puck. He’s such a smart player, really good at recognizing the situation and making the most of it. I shudder to think the Flames could have picked him up for nothing last fall. 62 Corsi on a 50 ZS.
  • Benoit Pouliot: Had a nice game, man among boys phyically, had an assist. Didn’t play much, I’m not sure why. 59C 43ZS.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: My tickets last night came courtesy Tim Hite (and I thank him for it) and for me the Nuge alone is worth the price of admission. Saved a goal on a wobbly play by the goalie, had two assists, skated miles and probably worked a shift over at the CN railyards. Wonderful player, don’t forget this guy when it comes to talking about Oilers riches.

THE NEXT CUTS

tc roster after first cutsI think we could suss out the roster with just a few battles (3G, 8D, 14F look pretty obvious but that’s too many) based on Todd McLellan’s A and B list. Did anyone improve their stock last night from the B list?

• G: Laurent Brossoit, Eetu Laurikainen
  • D: Brandon Davidson, Darnell Nurse, Brad Hunt, Jordan Oesterle, David Musil, Joey Laleggia, Dillon Simpson, Martin  Gernat
  • C: Bogdan Yakimov, Jujhar Khaira, Kyle Platzer, Phil McRae
  • L: Anton Slepyshev, Ryan Hamilton, Mitchell Moroz, Kale Kessy, Josh Winquist, Braden Christoffer
  • R: Iiro Pakarinen, Greg Chase, Matt Ford

I covered Nurse and Oesterle above, I liked the two Russians but many of their shifts ended in a Christoffer penalty (or so it seemed). Among the forwards Edmonton dressed, those three men were probably the ones who were most evenly matched with the Winnipeg group and the possession numbers favored them. I think we should expect that Laurikainen, Gernat, Simpson, Hunt and Kessy either play soon or get sent out.

bladerunner

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A very busy show today, bringing on some new guests to add to the established riches. 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Dennis King, Oilogosphere Icon. I will attempt to steer Dennis away from Blue Jays conversation, he lied.
  • Marc Majeau, TSN1260. We’ll talk J-E-T-S, Yankees and his new Saturday show.
  • Mike Hetherington, TSN. We’ll set up the NFL weekend and discuss the mediocre 2-0 teams and the great 0-2 teams.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. The breathtaking 3-on-3 and what in h-e-double-hockey-sticks happened in the Patrick Kane case yesterday?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Your questions and comments are welcome, tune in if you can (and maybe win that trip! Take me with you!).

86 Responses to "TYPE O NEGATIVE"

1. dustrock says:

LT, also had Schultz in the scrum when Klefbom got taken down, and his hustle on the last play in OT. Just stuff we hadn’t seen from him the last couple of years.

I liked Reinhart a lot, but I do wonder if Gryba is the right partner for him. Really feel that Fayne, Reinhart and Gryba are all fairly similar, and they all likely need a puck-mover to partner with.

Could you do something crazy like:

Sekera-Fayne
    Klefbom-Reinhart
    Nikitin-Schultz

Otherwise I agree that Reinhart-Gryba might struggle a bit – but noteworthy to me I felt Reinhart actually bailed out Gryba a couple of times. If I said Reinhart looked like Boris Mironov a bit, is that out to lunch? Trying to figure out which old Oilers d-man he reminds me of.

2. dustrock says:

Should also mention with Talbot it is so nice to see that I don’t have to be petrified every time the opposing team dumps it past the defence and the goalie has to play it. Thought Brossoit also looked good handling the puck.

Edit: Re the AHL competition, fair comment, although these guys are all trying to catch Maurice’s eye and land a roster spot.

3. nelson88 says:

No feed for the game but interesting take away on Nurse.

Love the kid and have since day 1. I know his father so cheering like hell for him but he does need to simplify his game. Not to reopen old arguments but the whole “rover” role in the OHL playoffs didn’t do him any favours. He can play a structured game (see WJC) and he will be fine/great eventually but hopefully the journey isn’t too painful.

LT, if you want tickets for the Coyotes game next week PM me.

4. Derek says:

Reinhart kind of reminds me of the Minnesota Wild version of Willie Mitchell. Quiet, effective and cheap.

It’s important to temper your excitement in the preseason. Noted NHL 7th defenceman Adam Pardy looked like a top pair guy at times last night.

5. JD¡™ says:

dustrock: Re the AHL competition, fair comment, although these guys are all trying to catch Maurice’s eye and land a roster spot.

And they looked like a pretty good AHL-type roster. Dang, them Jets got it goin’ on.

6. Woogie63 says:

Slepyshev had nice moments. On three different ocassions he took two or three quick strides, got inside the hashmarks and delivered an accurate shot. He is hard on the forecheck and responsible on the defensive cycle.

He needs some time in the AHL, but darkhorse prediction this is the winger for Hall-MacDavid?

7. dustrock says:

Re Nurse, the only criticism that worried me over the years is that he has all the tools, but how is the toolbox? Can he put it all together?

Is something like Zach Bogosian a possibility for Nurse?

8. McSorley33 says:

*****************************************************************************
    As previously reported, this cat is frightening to watch defend……and against that level of competition.

Had no idea Yak 2 and Slepy were even playing until they were pinned by the Ice Caps and buried for a goal….wow.

Jets fans at the office still asking about some of the people they dressed N. Nogier played D for the Jets last night…..

J. Melchiori..played D last night for the Jets…

9. dustrock says:

Somebody call in Agent Dale Cooper.

Julie DiCaroVerified account ‏@JulieDiCaro
    SOURCE: Neither accuser or her attorneys in Patrick Kane investigation have ever seen the undergarments tested by crime lab.

10. Psyche says:

I saw a physical and determined Jets squad last night. It was a good next-step test for many of the younger Oilers.
    Ederle appeared to have an extra gear last night…I like Christoffer’s skill and relentlessness, but too many penalties…Nurse has so many tools and needs time to learn how and when to use them…the Nuge is wonderful…I noticed Yakupov for his offensive reads and defensive effort…Talbot was steady and had solid positioning…I would like to see more of Yakimov and Slepyshev – maybe with some vets?

11. GXL says:

Schultz played a great game tonight, if he keeps this up will LT give back some love? I just LT doesn’t like “Justin Schultz” people :-).

Nurse also showed well. I think that’s great that Nurse has such a wide range of skills. He had a couple of very timely pinches that unfortunately didn’t lead to goals for, but I do agree that it looked a lot like he was trying to do it all rather than simplifying the game. Maybe it’s a situation where because it’s an exhibition games, he has it in his head he needs to show he can do it all.

GXL

12. RMGS says:

Yak’s 11 EV minutes were due to all the PK time. In those 11 minutes he posted a 67% CF and played very well.

Despite the new found determination, I also saw Schultz bad several times, including that ghastly pass to which LT makes reference. Still, he deserves credit for showing he’s willing to change.

Griffin Reinhart was by far the best D, if not the best player, on the ice.

13. dustrock says:

Yakupov is starting to figure it out, I hope. Still has strange spacing issues.

I like the idea of Drai-Lander-Yak, I’m just not sure there’s enough chemistry there, though they had their moments.

14. PhrankLee says:

I was not encouraged by Talbot’s puck handling again. He gets the willies. It makes the viewer very nervous.

He did make some downright top drawer saves, though. I am so happy we have him.

15. B S says:

dustrock:
    Somebody call in Agent Dale Cooper.

Julie DiCaroVerified account ‏@JulieDiCaro

There should be an simple check for that. See if they belong to anyone else in her family (would assume not, but you’d never know who they might have been taken from), then test them for HER DNA. and maybe have a different department do that (one without a friend of Kane running around the office).

Nurse has a diverse toolset. It is in the Oilers interest for him to use all his tools, which is why half a season in the AHL is probably the best place for him, to figure out how to use all his tools, and when to use them, rather than keeping him in the NHL with restrictor places.

If he is top 4, then you keep him in the NHL. Otherwise half a season in the AHL will do him good.

17. RexLibris says:

dustrock:
    Somebody call in Agent Dale Cooper.

Julie DiCaroVerified account ‏@JulieDiCaro

At this point the Log Lady would bring a welcome bit of reason to this thing.

18. delooper says:

GXL: Maybe it’s a situation where because it’s an exhibition games, he has it in his head he needs to show he can do it all.

GXL

Except the coach just told him the opposite, that he needs to just do less. Habits take time to break, so he’ll be going to the AHL.

19. North of the Wall says:

I didn’t catch the whole game but caught a few comments from Bob and Jack Michaels that I thought was interesting after reading this article.

They both agreed that:
    a) Justin Shultz was the best player on the ice, but forgot to mention the turnovers that Lowetide noticed
    b) Both Yakupov and I think Lander were barely noticeable and Drai was the best player on the line by a wide margin.

Does anybody that watched the whole game agree with this?

20. mit167 says:

Hope you and your daughter enjoyed the game as much as I enjoy coming to the site. I’ve been an Alberta boy the better part of my life circling the Cold Lake, Edmonton, and now Fort McMurray region so there is a good chance there will be more games I will not be able to make this year. Was thinking there might be a possibility for a contest / charity raising / site donation type thing, If your interested. It could be something like Win a ticket to an Oilers game with Lowetide and get the lowdown while watching a live event. (Just came off nightshift so thats the best my tired brain could come up with right now)) I’d imagine a pretty penny or two might get donated for a chance to hang out with you for a night while not only watching hockey but getting the chance to shoot the breeze / spill a beer.

21. JD¡™ says:

From Gregor’s post game wrap:

Raffl crunched Oesterle along the boards. It might not have looked like a big hit on TV, but it hurt Oesterle. It jarred his shoulder and he was in pain on the bench. Those hits are deceptively painful.

This happened early in the first, according to him. Might explain part of Oest’s bad night.

22. delooper says:

North of the Wall:
    They both agreed that:

Does anybody that watched the whole game agree with this?

No idea, but I don’t. Schultz had some nice dramatic plays and mostly played well. Reinhart, Lander, Talbot and Eberle were probably the best Oilers.

I was actually pretty disappointed with the 2-ish periods of play that I saw yesterday.

The most disappointing thing was the break out.

Not enough close support and the Dmen (Nurse in particular) kept throwing it into traffic on the boards instead of taking a less contested path.

Reinhart made the best decisions in this regards last night.

C support in the dzone was variable leaning to good, but the wings were too far away often for a 10ft pass from the C or D and it ended up in a lot of turn overs.

Its early but that needs to get better fast with both NHLers and AHLers.

I bet McLellan will be working on that today.

24. LMHF#1 says:

“Gryba has some mobility issues but (like Reinhart) he defended well and was sound in his positioning.”

Agree on the mobility issues but not with the second half. Gryba got burned and caught standing still from the word go. He’s strangely okay at the offensive blue line, but not much to write home about anywhere else. He also seems to have that issue of “not a good enough skater to get there for hits in time”.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s better than the human turnstile we call Andrew Ference, but he shouldn’t be good enough to make the squad.

Also a quick note on Nurse – I found it very strange that he had several instances where he got caught looking at the play and not moving his feet. He’s athletic enough to recover, but he was playing catch up too much.

25. Lucinius says:

North of the Wall,

Don’t agree at all. Schultz had a very good game for Schultz. He was high event, both ways. Defensively he caused some issues (but was better than the past few years) and was very good offensively (RNH, Eberle and Schultz had an amusing shift in overtime that was basically the three of them doing a skating drill around the Jets).

Yak and Lander were actually fairly noticeable; especially Lander who was rarely out of position, was solid 5v5 and on the pk. Lander, imo, was the best all round player last night. Yak had spacing issues as others have mentioned, but didn’t really make many mistakes. Drai was good, but made more mistakes than Yak (he made a few turn overs that could have caused high scoring chances against, but was either able to recover and clean it up, or someone else did).

26. Showerhead says:

I saw highlights only, but Eberle’s goal – it looked like the play began with a scripted redirect from the point to the centre of the ice. That’s new for Edmonton, relatively modern for the NHL, and has McLellan’s powerplay prints all over it. I loved everything about that play.

27. linkfromhyrule says:

North of the Wall:

Does anybody that watched the whole game agree with this?

I was at the game, Schultz certainly was playing hard. Had some ugly turnovers and some bad passes and some good, but he was also hitting and getting involved in scrums. Could just be rust, but I am glad to see he is at least attempting to play physical.

The whole defense was suffering from a lack of experience it seemed like. Not a lot of tape to tape passes coming out of the D zone, and not much better at holding the blue line. Certainly affected the offensive side of things for the whole team.

IMO Klef, Lander, and Ebs were the best players on the ice, although the veteran line was effective too. I like Korpikoski actually, seems to fit very nicely on the grizzled vets line. Wasn’t really any F who stood out in a bad way apart from (what seemed like) Christoffer’s million penalty march.

28. hunter1909 says:

Goalies not letting in softies in the 1st period makes me happy.

note to Rickibear: I told you Schultz still has potential : p

The TEAM started to look pretty cohesive to me in the 2nd period. Could this possibly be from receiving real NHL coaching?

29. Ducey says:

Some people have made up their mind on Schultz. There were many saying they should just non tender him this summer.

Its FSN and will always be such. Its such an easy narrative. “Get rid of the bums”

He plays 24 minutes (the next closest had 21). He plays a whopping 6:46 on the PK (more than a minute more than the next closest) which is something new. Scores a nice goal, gets in a rumble, has 3 shots, and generally plays an aggressive game on all fronts. He is recognized by the announcers and many on the blog last night as the Oilers best player. His Corgis have been quite good for 2 straight games. He is born for 3 on 3 OT.

Rishaug was on the AM radio this morning saying he seems to have really taken to the new coach.

But yeah, he made a bad pass, so lets disregard all that.

30. zatch says:

Seeing some massive disagreement on what happened last night haha.

I again refuse to put a whole lot of stock in any of this yet, because the type of game and composition of the rosters is so different from what is standard.

31. LoDog says:

I’ll take the over on Klefbom. He and Schultz are going to put up a lot of points.

32. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ducey,

Totally fair.

Also, I’ve been crunching the numbers.

A player is 2x more likely to make a bad pass when playing 24 minutes per game than they would be if they were playing 12 minutes a game. I haven’t gone through the complete data set, but at this point this looks to be almost universally true.

Ducey:
    Some people have made up their mind on Schultz.There were many saying they should just non tender him this summer.

Its FSN and will always be such.Its such an easy narrative.“Get rid of the bums”

He plays 24 minutes (the next closest had 21).He plays a whopping 6:46 on the PK (more than a minute more than the next closest) which is something new.Scores a nice goal, gets in a rumble, has 3 shots, and generally plays an aggressive game on all fronts.He is recognized by the announcers and many on the blog last night as the Oilers best player.His Corgis have been quite good for 2 straight games.He is born for 3 on 3 OT.

But yeah, he made a bad pass, so lets disregard all that.

That’s framing the issue. If you read what I wrote, there’s plenty of praise.

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Ducey,

Totally fair.

Also, I’ve been crunching the numbers.

A player is 2x more likely to make a bad pass when playing 24 minutes per game than they would be if they were playing 12 minutes a game.I haven’t gone through the complete data set, but at this point this looks to be almost universally true.

35. McSorley33 says:

68 R. Olsen C 0 1 1 1 0 0 2 0 0 1 – 2:22 0:00 13:02
    71 J. Melchiori D 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 – 0:11 0:50 16:13
    72 S. Kosmachuk R 0 0 0 1 0 2 1 0 2 1 – 2:56 0:00 14:11
    77 C. De Leo C 0 0 0 1 2 1 4 0 0 1 – 5:14 0:00 14:10

36. TeeVee says:

North of the Wall:
    …Lander were barely noticeable…

I honestly didn’t even know Lander was playing until the game ended and I saw the back of his Jersey up close.

37. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Totally agree, it was just a tongue-in-cheek dig at the “GIVEAWAYS” crowd that used to be on Petry’s case all the time.

That one, clearly, was a big one.

38. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: The pass and when it happened are issues because of his experience. That’s a fact.

Is Schultz in the “one year’s experience, three times” territory now with all the coaching changes?

If so, that makes him one heck of a reclamation project given how the last player under that categorization turned out.

39. RMGS says:

Darnell Nurse is skating with Group A this morning, Griffin Reinhart is not.

40. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

McSorley33,

Crazy that Lipon only played 10:17. If he can put an NHL quality game together he’ll have a career as a pest for sure.

41. dustrock says:

It’s possible Klefbom could get the over on points just by being a relatively capable d-man with a decent shot from the point and passing, if the McLellan PP is as lethal as we all hope.

I wouldn’t read too much into Reinhart going B and Nurse to A.

I think Reinhart’s made the team and now you gotta throw Nurse a bone, and you want to watch him practice with NHLers.

I think Ference or Niktin or gone before opening night.

Nurse still does to the AHL and Reinhart-Gryba is your 3rd pair.

@TSNRyanRishaug: Reinhart has minor injury. That’s why he wasn’t at skate.

There we go

44. thebiggestmanintheworld says:

I may be one of the few who didn’t mind the Reinhart trade (ie; didn’t think it was a big overpay).

This guy, to my eye, has all the tools to be our Hjalmarsson.

He’s got a year pro experience, is only 21, and everywhere I’ve read, his best attribute is his hockey IQ.

He played very well in Bridgeport, from what I’ve read, and given that a wise man once said defencemen develop by sundial, he seems to be right on track, no?

With his pedigree and junior career, plus his AHL season, could someone explain to me why he would not be considered a top 4 option sometime soon, if he keeps following the path he is on?

And if he does become a top 4 defenceman, what do the picks traded for him have to become to make the Islanders win the trade?

45. Water Fire says:

I love the fact that the paralysis of analysis is over and the coaching staff and managers can view a player for a couple of games and get a read. Love it.

I also love how they treat the players with respect and use words to build them up no matter what is happening, such as demotion. There is no shame in it and that is what is portrayed.

46. wheatnoil says:

Iiro Pakarinen hasn't played any exhibitions for Edm because he's hurt. McLellan says he's "banged up."#EJLive— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) September 24, 2015

47. rickithebear says:

McSorley33: There is no disagreement on who we played…..but, yes, Schultz played a good game.

Klefbom/Schultz -1

48. rickithebear says:

LoDog:

At even that is Good.
    On PP
    who gives a f……………..

49. RMGS says:

Edmonton Oilers ✔ @EdmontonOilers

“His strength is between his ears… Schultzy is a smart player. He should be using his mind to be in position.” Coach McLellan on #19

50. Pouzar says:

YEEE HAAAAAWW…I am in for tomorrow nights game at MTS!

Any word of the projected lineups yet anyone?

51. Pouzar says:

I wonder if Reinhart/Schultz should be the 3rd pairing?

52. JD¡™ says:

Pouzar,

McL said that everyone who is healthy will be going on the road trip – wants all of them to experience a road game.

I think they said earlier that McD will suit up in the Peg.

Enjoy the game!

53. Melman says:

thebiggestmanintheworld,

I’m with you. Given that GR is 2012 draft and the team “bought” 3 years of post draft development and D is where more help was needed, I didn’t see it as an overpay. Going a step further the top 6 (9?) is loaded for bear with young talent so where was that player (odds being only 1 works out) going to fit? Recognizing that draft and develop is key in the long run, McD changed everything and this was the year to cash some chips.

54. dustrock says:

Here’s a nice summary of analytics in soccer and how receptive players are. I’m sure some of the same thinking applies for hockey:

55. Ducey says:

Lowetide: That’s framing the issue. If you read what I wrote, there’s plenty of praise.

I guess not enough for my liking 🙂

Many say it is the best game he has played as an Oiler. To emphasize a bad pass (many other had them too) seems to be missing the point that if Schultz turns his game around, that is a massive, massive positive for the Oilers.

As Woodguy points out, finding an offensive RH defenseman with good Corgis against tougher competition is very hard to do, and the Oilers may have one emerge this year from the scarp heap.

56. Ducey says:

RMGS:
    Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers

Hoo boy. Can you imagine if Eakins said that?

57. striatic says:

Woodguy: I wouldn’t read too much into Reinhart going B and Nurse to A.

That sounds right to me.

Keeping Nurse on group B is just punishing a guy whose probably already beating himself up over a lack-luster performance. The reaction of frustration after the screened/deflected goal shows he knew he really, really blew it and very much damaged his ability to make the team out of camp. No need to double down on that.

Put him in group A. Let him know it is ok to make some mistakes. Send a message that despite the mistakes, the potential and effort is recognized.

Then send him to the AHL to practice not admiring his turnover in front of the goalie.

Ducey: I guess not enough for my liking :)

Many say it is the best game he has played as an Oiler.To emphasize a bad pass (many other had them too) seems to be missing the point that if Schultz turns his game around, that is a massive, massive positive for the Oilers.

I’ll be thrilled, and as I mentioned he certainly looks improved. If Schultz can solve that problem Edmonton is much closer to having a bona fide defensive group and 19 is clearly a popular player on the team (I’m all for solving problems internally, a Schultz-type would cost a bundle no matter how you slice it).

59. LoDog says:

striatic,

Reinhart is banged up. That’s why Nurse is on the A team.

60. barry.moore23 says:

I can’t get over the fact that someone actually thought hiring Dallas Eakins was a good idea. Sorry Just had to get that off my chest. Go Coach Todd !!!!

61. striatic says:

LoDog,

They could have moved another player from the B group instead of Nurse if they wanted to send the opposite message.

62. Pouzar says:

JD¡™:
    Pouzar,

I think they said earlier that McD will suit up in the Peg.

Enjoy the game!

Thanks!

63. JD¡™ says:

Ducey: Hoo boy.Can you imagine if Eakins said that?

You have to hear the entire quote that McL said regarding Schultz:

I spoke to Frank Seravalli today on the Lowdown and he mentioned Nikitin might find a nice landing spot in LA with the Kings. that rumor had been around at one time and Frank’s mentioning it is interesting. I do think Reinhart’s early showing may mean we see something, possibly involving Nikitin.

65. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: If Schultz can solve that problem Edmonton is much closer to having a bona fide defensive group and 19 is clearly a popular player on the team

Schultz played really well. Klefbom played seriously cool and controlled hockey. Nurse, for his youthful enthusiasm skates like a superstar in the making.

Combine all this with actual bonafide NHL coaching, plus jettisoning TCAF and presto! There’s a real NHL defence.

Oiler fans understandably have seen themselves messed about recently(20+ years lol).

66. Showerhead says:

Pouzar:
    YEEE HAAAAAWW…I am in for tomorrow nights game at MTS!

Any word of the projected lineups yet anyone?

Have fun, and please share a report!

I’d be there with you and the rest of Winnipeg but I’ll be playing a soccer semi-final that night (under the lights at Waverly – I’m really excited for it).

67. Pouzar says:

Showerhead: Have fun, and please share a report!

Will do and best of luck in your game!

68. Jordan says:

barry.moore23:

Hiring Eakins has led to Connor, Pete, Todd and Andrei.

I have no complaints about how this has worked out.

Thanks said, I’m eaqually glad he’s no longer with the organization.

=D

69. hunter1909 says:

Showerhead: I’ll be playing a soccer semi-final that night (under the lights at Waverly

70. Showerhead says:

hunter1909: I could have swore I’d read “Wembley”(come back Peace River squaddie, all is forgiven).

Ha. It’s Winnipeg’s Wembley, but kind of in the same way that the MTS Centre is Winnipeg’s Colosseum.

Pouzar,

Thank you sir. Actually, as we’re sponsored by a real estate company, our team has a whole pile of Monopoly themed nicknames on our gamesheets. Mine? “Chance” – which, through LT’s insistence re: Taylor Hall over the years, makes me feel associated with greatness even if it is not deserved.

71. McSorley33 says:

Pouzar,

YEEE HAAAAAWW…I am in for tomorrow nights game at MTS!
    **********************************************************************

Same here…sitting in Row 1 upper deck. Hope they are good seats!!

72. jm363561 says:

====
    As one of the small group who have been arguing the merits of McLander since February, or so, delighted to read this (in my hotel room in the Philippines!). What has amazed me has been the performance of Da Leon. Man, what a core of outstanding, up and coming, young centres we have now. All we need to do is trade one for an outstanding, up and coming, young D and we are heading for Stanley City (or go back in time and spend the Nikitin money on Petry. Sigh.)

Always loved the Reinhart trade – a warrior like Lander. Great to see the performances so far. Hope it continues.

73. rickithebear says:

Lowetide: spoke to Frank Seravalli today on the Lowdown and he mentioned Nikitin might find a nice landing spot in LA with the Kings.

Christ that fits.

Erhoff
    1st comp Pit 14.42
    2nd comp SJS 11.11; VCR 13.34;
    Greene 3rd 12.28
    Martinez 3rd 12.72
    Mcnabb 3rd/4th 12.94

Nikitin as a base for 2nd comp stay at home 12.45 HSCA with sutter caliber box coach.
    slots right in there with
    Erhoff 2nd comp with box protect coach 12.29 HSCA

74. Ducey says:

Blasphemy!

OEL is not the best defenseman in the NHL or his own country

Hmmm. Maybe the people that say the Oilers shouldn’t trade their entire team for him are on to something.

75. Truth says:

What would that take? Nikitin and a middle pick (5th?) for a 7th?

Truth: What would that take? Nikitin and a middle pick (5th?) for a 7th?

I think it would be Oilers trade Nikitin and retain half of his salary in exchange for college player Steven Johnson

77. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I’m assuming that’s the LA Kings version of Liam Coughlin.

78. oliveoilers says:

I’m still lurking/sulking.

*trips over bottom lip*

Ca$h-McMoney!:

I’m assuming that’s the LA Kings version of Liam Coughlin.

Yes, that’s the idea. Maybe a pick. I could be wrong, defensemen retain value like mad

80. spoiler says:

oliveoilers: I’m still lurking/sulking.

*trips over bottom lip*

There was a lot of Olive Olove sent your way after your announcement, I hope you had a chance to read it. You are missed.

81. AsiaOil says:

Yeah I figure that if Reinhart keeps it up – Nikitin can be jettisoned with some salary retained if necessary. Nurse to AHL to play top competition and work out the kinks – then bring him back up in the new year. Try jettison Ference at trade deadline with salary retained if necessary.

2015/2016 – first 10 games
    Sekera Fayne
    Klef Shultz
    Reinhart Gryba
    Ference

2015/2016 – last 10 games
    Klef Sekera
    Reinhart Shultz
    Nurse Fayne
    Gryba

82. Coffeys_Messy_eh says:

Late to this, but my first thought when I saw 14’s goal last night was (I think) Bruce McCurdy’s transcription of McLellan’s PP instruction in Leduc. Can’t remember verbatim, but I recall something along the lines of “I don’t care if he’s not open, just put it in his skates (in front of the net). Looked to me like that’s exactly what happened, and 14 put home the loose change.

Also Type O Negative was a great metal band in the 90s. Saw them in Toronto at the Guvernment. Great show.

83. hunter1909 says:

AsiaOil,

Your cold hearted yet 100% accurate assessment of MacT+Eakins stands as one of the best posts I’ve ever read on Lowetide.

If you were running for office I’d vote for you.

84. Mr. D. says:

LMHF#1:

Not sure what game you watched but the only time it looked like he got burned was when Schultz coughed up the puck trying to dangle. 8 hits 4 shots controlled the corners, good possession numbers. ..8/10 game . If you are looking for smooth skating quit looking and watch his play.

85. Pouzar says:

McSorley33:
    Pouzar,

YEEE HAAAAAWW…I am in for tomorrow nights game at MTS!
    **********************************************************************

Same here…sitting in Row 1 upper deck. Hope they are good seats!!

Interesting….is that the “new” row 1 or the old row one lol.
    A lot of controversy over those new seats blocking views of the first few rows of Level 300