STUCK IN LODI

I’ve never been to the city of Lodi California, but have been in the place John Fogerty wrote about in the song, many times. When you want to be home, or what is home to you, the distance can be overwhelming. It’s a mighty long way from Bakersfield to the NHL, or at least it seems so this morning.

THE FIRST CONDOR SIGHTING

EARLY CONDORS

There’s a few injured men (Moroz, Pakarinen, Simpson, Gernat) and several players who will eventually find their way to Bakersfield from the current Oilers roster (I’ll guess Nurse, Davidson, Slepyshev). The best players aren’t here yet, but men like Bogdan Yakimov, Andrew Miller, David Musil, Joey Laleggia and Laurent Brossoit have some real potential as NHL players. It’s going to be a fun team to follow in 2015-16.

THE ‘ALMOST THERE’ OILERS

early oilers

That’s 32 men, with five injured so we’re at 27 and there are four to go: Scrivens, Nurse, Davidson, Slepyshev. That’s my guess. One of the most interesting items this week: Where does Todd McLellan play Leon? If he’s will Hall and McDavid, that could be awesome and chaotic. The chemistry between CMD and Draisaitl is obvious and despite some defensive shortcomings that line could be breathtaking. I also think a soft parade line of Lander, Yak and Leon showed enough promise to be worthy. I also like the fact Nail Yakupov is going to be placed with substantial talent an suspect he’s going to score 20 or more. These forwards, in terms of talent, are insane.

PROJECTED 23-MAN ROSTER

projected 23 man

That’s 24, I suspect Purcell goes on IR, or one of the blue stubs a toe coming off the ice or some such. The guy I chose to punt—Rob Klinkhammer—stays because for me he’s an interesting player on this roster. If Korpikoski is needed up the lineup, Klinkhammer. If Hendricks is needed at center, Klinkhammer. He’s so damned handy the Oilers sent Andrew Miller out, and Miller would have been a dandy 13F. I’ll go so far as saying the following: The last spot comes down to Klinkhammer vs. Gazdic, and if push comes to shove Gazdic loses. Rob Klinkhammer is a Swiss Army knife for this team and that’s what you need if carrying 13F.

SLEP SLAPPY

I liked his future when he was 6.02, 194 and fast, you can imagine how impressive 6.02, 217 and fast looks on the current Edmonton Oilers. Slepyshev was the finisher on the best goal of pre-season to my eye (the goal itself began with a nifty McDavid lift, was followed by a fast as lightning passing display and finished by a quick release, all happening in a very short span).

• Todd McLellan: “He has the ability to play a heavy game and use his shot. He’s played with speed guys and with grinders … he’s getting better night after night and he’s really opening the coaches’ eyes.” Source

In the game against Winnipeg, Slepyshev and Bogdan Yakimov didn’t get much of a chance to shine (Braden Christoffer kept taking penalties!) and Yak 2.0 was sent down in the first set of cuts. Slepyshev stayed up, partly because of Teddy Purcell’s injury and especially because of that ‘heavy game’ McLellan mentioned. He didn’t play with truly skilled men until the Winnipeg game and scored a first-shot scorer’s goal. His snipe against the Wild was pure glory.

MichellePhillips

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Monday Monday (ba-DAH, dah-dah-dah), can’t trust that day. Lowdown hits TSN1260 at 10 and we have a great guest lineup. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. We’ll talk about the strongest Cup contender and take a closer look at the Central.
  • Antony Bent, FC Edmonton.  A massive win for the Eddies who are sitting in a playoff spot as we speak.
  • Sunil Agnihotri, Copper & Blue. Slepyshev and trading a blue.
  • Jeff Hauser, SB Nation and Radio Hauser. NFL weekend, things are coming into view.
  • Dave Jamieson, TSN1260. CFL weekend and the Eskimos need to get it together offensively.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

80 Responses to "STUCK IN LODI"

1. Jordan says:

2. Little Poteet says:

3. mattwatt says:

In a way I feel bad for Scrivens, and in a way I don’t. The man was airlifted here in January of 2014, and played stellar for the remainder of that season. One of the few bright spots that remained at the end, and will always have that magical game against San Jose. However, no way around it, he really stuck last year. One has rarely seen a professional that bad, climaxing with the last game of the season in which the Oilers outplayed Vancouver only to have the goalie let them down in grand fashion. Oilers needed a few (okay, many) saves last season, and Scrivens couldn’t do it. So here we are.

I do wish Scrivens the best, and want to him to have success, but will not cry if he is left off the roster. Sports is a weird thing. One day you are part of the solution, next day one of the biggest problems. That said, it is not like Ben is in the position solely due to circumstances. He played a large part in doing this to himself.

4. russ99 says:

Klinkhammer seems pretty necessary at this point.

5. Zeabs93 says:

LT, I know you’ve probably heard this a lot but I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the excellent content you continue to put out each and every day. I don’t comment much but I read this blog every day and you really made this offseason go by fast.

Even after all these years of losing this blog has always been a haven of intelligent discussion and rational thought, I can’t wait to see what this place is like after the Oilers finally start winning!! Good times are coming, my friends.

6. jp says:

Man, that Condors roster is already on par with last years Barons, with reinforcements coming. Depth!

7. HeavySig says:

Jordan,

So many jokes are coming to me, but for the sake of the charity, I will resist them…

8. Caramel Obvious says:

Little Poteet:

This post (and the fact that it is the second one) sums up this place in a nutshell.

9. dustrock says:

russ99: October’s (real) schedule looks pretty gnarly, Five out of our first six are on the road vs. St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas, Calgary and Vancouver, and we also have the Kings at home and Minnesota on the road.Klinkhammer seems pretty necessary at this point.

yeah, I’m enjoying 5-0 in the preseason, but as I’ve said a few times, in the first 20 games we start on the road and end up playing Blues, Kings, Hawks, Flames (yeah I know, but they made the playoffs last year) twice each. Also Nashville, Dallas, Vancouver, Detroit, Washington, Minny, Montreal, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Arizona.

Little Poteet: Lodi is a nice quiet place. I’ve only been there a couple times, my father was born there and my grandfather still lives there. We had Christmas in California when I was 6 or so, saw some cousins for the first and only time. My memories of Lodi are beautiful blue sky and warm weather. I’d like to go back add an adult and really see where my father was born and spent his childhood before moving to grande prairie. It’s a place I want to visit that I often forget about, so thank you LT for the reminder

Thanks for this – one thing I love about LT’s blog is the seemingly random connections people have across the continent and across the world. LT throws out Lodi as a reference and of course someone out there has a connection to it IRL. Neat stuff. 🙂

10. Jordan says:

HeavySig:
    Jordan,

In the spirit of this blog’s healthy community and love of bad (sometimes off-colour?) humor, I encourage you to make as many non-charitable jokes as you can.

Won’t be the first time someone makes fun of me on the internet. I can take it. =D

11. PhrankLee says:

Scrivens appears to have played himself out of the picture. Also the bar is a little higher with the CMD freight train picking up momentum.

It highlights some already known factors of old management. The eyes lie.

Yesterday Rikki was showing Fistric qual comps. Anyhow every year he played against 3 rd best opposition.

Except Edmonton who used him against 2nd.

Up to this point in Edmonton the cognitive bias of management has been..”cause Im making the decision it will work..” Now management is asking players to out play each other to make the team.

It is a very refreshing take. And a switcheroo on last years “Opening night line up?… Bahh. Who does that any more, guys amirite?” MacT/Eakins experiment.

Last year was a bizarre world. We didn’t have the team chosen on opening night. We didnt let the opening night roster have 1 exhibition game,,, It was surreal.

12. dustrock says:

Jordan: I’m sure all of you are prorbably already aware, but in case you’re not – Andrew Ference has been Kidnapped.https://www.reddit.com/r/EdmontonOilers/comments/3mp6qj/oilers_captain_andrew_ference_has_been_kidnapped/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L73z7DVmBbY

I believe the kidnapping negotiations went something like this:

(NSFW at all)

13. TheOtherJohn says:

That Bakersfield roster looks like the 1927 Yankees Murderers Row. They may never lose a game. What is the Ahl record for most wins in a single season?

14. Snowman says:

I know the schedule looks terrible but the fact of the matter is that you have to beat good teams. I know its a new season and new coaches and blah blah blah but you can’t make progress unless you start beating some better teams.

If we’re to make the playoffs we’ve got to be competitive against good Western Conference teams. Just reality.

15. oliveoilers says:

Jordan:

By the evil Dr. Woodguy!

I have a 6 year old daughter and I can never read about stuff like SpiderMabel without becoming a blubbering idiot.

Had to close the door to my office because I’m bawling.

Man.

Woodguy:

Had to close the door to my office because I’m bawling.

Man.

Same. God bless the people who do the work to make days like this one for that little girl.

18. RPG says:

What if SpiderMabel fails … What would the Oilers do with Captain Ference?

19. Profit says:

I have 6 and 4 year old girls. I basically can’t even read it as I get so teary.

It’s such a great story for her, but also it hits me right in the gut.

20. oliveoilers says:

RPG:
    What if SpiderMabel fails … What would the Oilers do with Captain Ference?

SpiderMabel will NOT fail!

*I just got something in my eye……*

21. Wolfie says:

Lubo cut by Chicago….

22. wheatnoil says:

Credit where credit is due to Andrew Ference. Good on him for helping out.

23. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Wolfie,

Cut by Chicago? Jesus.

I mean, I know they are the champs, but they also basically ran 3 Dmen during the playoffs. Not a lot of depth there. That’s probably a good indication that he’s done.

24. RPG says:

oliveoilers,

LMAO, I have a feeling Ference is in great hands.

25. oliveoilers says:

The thought occurs that we debate, bicker, take offence, give offence, sometimes on purpose, mostly not.

We deride, condone, condemn and make light of the sublime and lament the ridiculous and all because of a sport we all love. (Face it, none of us would be here if we didn’t)

Then you hear news that at the best can be called bittersweet and at the worst charitable and it certainly puts into perspective whether or not Sleppy should be sent down, or NN traded.

So, here’s to our friendly neighbourhood SpiderMabel rescuing Andrew, and to a great Monday morning thread.

*warm fuzzy feelings for all!*

26. dustrock says:

On that note, Mark Fraser released from PTO contract with Leafs, reports he may have found work elsewhere.

And we can’t unload Nikitin at retained salary?

Also, Pronman reports Tinordi will not make the Habs and will have to go through waivers.

27. wheatnoil says:

dustrock:

Friedman thinks it’s the Senators.

28. Cahoon says:

I know they haven’t been the greatest for the Oilers on ice, but Ference and Scrivens are both amazing guys.

29. hungoverman says:

My son is a childhood cancer survivor and I thanks the Gords daily for his and all the other little ones. They are braver than anyone I have ever met. Go spidermabel!!!!!!

Woodguy:

Had to close the door to my office because I’m bawling.

Man.

30. TeeVee says:

LA’s Muzzin and Greene are apparently hurt.

31. vinotintazo says:

TeeVee:
    LA’s Muzzin and Greene are apparently hurt.

give em nikitin!

32. BlueNoteNorth says:

To cap off what imo has been a productive summer, PC needs to

1. Move either Nikitin or Ference so Oilers can go with 14 forwards, and

2. Move Purcell so one of those 14 can be Slepyshev

33. G Money says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: The last couple of days are shining a bit of a light on the “Throw a tonne of cash at Glencross, Lubo, etc.” crowd. Not to say I wasn’t on board with bringing these guys in, rather a few at the margins were talking about dollars/term that seemed strange at the time, and crazy now.

Yes, well, irrationality seems to be the ticket during pre-season.

On this board we have multiple normally-rational posters declaring that we already should ship Scrivens out and anoint Nilsson our backup, on the basis of one so-so (.912) Scrivens game vs two Nilsson shutouts.

To put that in perspective, in those two shutouts, Nilsson had fewer stops total against AHL opposition than Scrivens did early in his Oilers debut when he shutout the Sharks – elite NHL opposition in a regular season game. And we know how that turned out a season later.

Scrivens also had 51 games and a .918 in the NHL coming to the Oilers, while Nilsson so far has 23 games and a 0.898 in the NHL.

But yeah – on the basis of three total pre-season games, lets bank this season on two goalies with a combined 80 NHL games between them!

By comparison, signing Glencross or Lubo to a big dollar contract is the height of rationality, is it not?

dustrock: What are we hoping for after 20 games? .500 would probably be a good start, especially with a new head coach, goalies, rookies, etc.

Last year, I postulated that the Oilers should be expecting themselves to be a mid-tier team. To my mind, a mid-tier team should be able to run .500 against other mid-tier teams, .333 against top-tier teams, and perhaps .667 against bottom-tier teams.

Reasonable?

By memory, they were actually .333 against top-tier teams (my definition being 20 pts out of a possible 60). The Oilers’ downfall last year is that they were .407 against the mid-tier teams … and .400 against the bottom-tier teams.

That last stat is particularly telling – worse record against fellow bottom-feeders than against OK teams. The Oilers somehow managed to go 2-3 against LA and SJ, but 0-4-1 against both Arizona and Calgary (the latter of whom, despite their temporary good fortune, was unquestionably a bottom tier team).

So for this season, we rinse and repeat. I expect the Oilers to be in the battle for being a mid-tier team, and go: .333 against top-tier teams, .500 against mid-tier teams, and .667 against bottom-tier teams. If I keep repeating it, someday it will be true.

With the schedule in the first 20 games, heavily on the road with only a few lower tier teams in the mix, running .333 to 0.4 would be my RE. Getting to .500 would be a significant outperformance in my books.

34. dustrock says:

seems legit, G Money.

35. TeeVee says:

Looks like Sabres are going to start without Gorges and Bogosian as well.

I think our little Nicky is gonna find a new home.

36. PhrankLee says:

G Money: Getting to .500 would be a significant outperformance in my books.

I’ve said this all summer long. Threatening .500 is my personal outlying goal for the Oilers this year. If they do it. It represents an outrageous improvement.

This club is all in on Talbot. Whomever fills the role at other goalie will need to have the confidence of the players. That is how I feel it will be decided upon by management.

I am more optimistic than I have been with this position because I feel it is being addressed. It’s far from outstanding but is moving, finally, in the right direction.

The squad will determine who the other goalie is by the way they play. Last year it was obvious how nervous and tense they were playing in front of Scrivens.

37. Little Poteet says:

Woodguy,

I teared up in the library at school. I got no office to hide in.

38. G Money says:

PhrankLee,

I think a little above .500 (and by that I mean points earned, which is the “Bettman 0.500”, as opposed to a true .500 record where loser points don’t count) is a reasonable goal for the Oilers for the entire season. In 82 games, maybe somewhere in the region of 85 points.

However, the first 20 games are biased towards some good teams, with the Blues, Kings, and Hawks twice (or to put it another way, 67% of the seasons games against the Blues and Hawks, and 40% of the games against the Kings, in the first 25% of the season).

So getting to that plus .500 in this stretch just doesn’t seem very likely.

(Note: I was wrong about the road bias, its actually 50/50.)

39. RexLibris says:

Hey LT,

With regards to Hall, McDavid, Leon being a defensive liability, I’m going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on this one, Bob.

McDavid has shown some decent defensive coverage in the preseason and I believe he is going to be placing a premium on his defensive play this first season as opposed to showboating his offense (which I think even he would say is pretty well established).

Draisaitl is good with and without the puck, relative to his experience, and what I’ve seen thus far tells me that he, like McDavid, is determined in that German-professional-like fashion, to make himself a solid 200-foot player.

Hall has always been Mr. Rush, fly down the wing, shoot, then loop back for the counter. We’ve seen changes there recently as well, under McLellan specifically.

Nugent-Hopkins is our little Datsyuk right now, but I suspect that by this time next year, we’ll have three young men all under the age of 23 who can play center and have a decent to strong 200-foot game.

With regards to Purcell, Slepyshev is his understudy and the timing looks perfect. Move out Purcell during the season to make room for both Slepyshev and Yakupov to graduate to larger roles on the NHL roster.

All these defensemen getting injured means Nikitin is at least an asset as opposed to a liability.

One other thing to consider, the Oilers have been a basketcase for so long, if the Oilers have to include a pick to move him, there is at least a chance that that pick has more value now, given the perception around the league, than it will come draft-day. In other words, the Oilers could sell high on picks before the season even begins based on their history.

Chiarelli has some options here and there are windows of opportunity opening up.

40. jonrmcleod says:

Chris Wescott @TheChrisWescott
    #Oilers lines: Hall-McDavid-Draisaitl, Pouliot-RNH-Eberle, Yakupov-Lander-Slepyshev & Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks

This is probably the optimum lineup in terms of talent.

41. dustrock says:

I think that’s the lineup I want. But we’ll see how effective the Lander and McDavid lines are against better competition.

42. HeavySig says:

Jordan,

They wouldn’t have been about you, but more about the noble citizen Captain.

43. RexLibris says:

G Money,

Factor in season effect when playing those teams as well.

Kings, Hawks and Blues have all had some significant roster shakeups, each for different reasons.

Not saying the Oilers haven’t, but it does level the playing field a touch, in my opinion.

We’ve seen teams come out of the gate like a rocket, while others, particularly those who had playoff runs, stumble before picking up speed.

Oilers could catch a few and snag five wins in their first seven games, or only win two of seven.

I think you’re line in the sand is reasonable, when you balance out all the season effects.

For what it’s worth, Vollman’s Luck Neutral predictor has the Oilers finishing with 93 pts, iirc.

44. RexLibris says:

jonrmcleod:
    Chris Wescott @TheChrisWescott

This is probably the optimum lineup in terms of talent.

Does Lander know any Russian?

How quickly can he learn?

45. Water Fire says:

Playoffs are a long shot I suppose this year, but I don’t think we’ll recognize the team by Christmas which is probably too late, but you never know.

There are so many things different now that are going to drive individual performance that I don’t think we’ll see sub .900 goal anymore. One reason is Chiarelli, I can’t see him letting that be an ongoing issue.

Scrivens or Nilsson may not hit league average, but the team stability, systems and coaching are going to make it much better for goalies. Scrivens is the better bet, but if those who are responsible see a goalie with better technique and consistency in Nilsson they should play him. I think Chiarelli has good experience with goalies, probably knows what he’s looking at.

My feeling is that every goalie lets in a floater, good goalies do it a couple of times a year, not every game. Technique and consistency are the key. I’m nor sure Scrivens has those things in place, not that he can’t.

Another major difference will be the tone in the locker room. I can’t see what has happened before happening now, and the decisions won’t be arbitrary but merit based which probably created most of the issues in the first place.

46. fifthcartel says:

Kinda interesting that Zharkov is listed as an AHL tryout.

47. Jordan says:

jonrmcleod:
    Chris Wescott @TheChrisWescott

This is probably the optimum lineup in terms of talent.

Oilgasm? Unicorns?

Rookie mistake? Defensive liabilities?

So hard to judge…

48. PhrankLee says:

G Money,

I said just the other day I wouldn’t expect anything better than .350 in the first 30-40 games.

If they make .500 at the end of the year I’m not going to split hairs on what kind of .500 it is.

It still would be an astronomical improvement. Which I need to see. But I am old enough to be patient and enjoy the season.

So many late Ontario nights are in store for me and I couldn’t be more eager to get the season underway.

49. PhrankLee says:

jonrmcleod: Chris Wescott @TheChrisWescott
    This is probably the optimum lineup in terms of talent.

Holy that line up makes a lot of sense to me.

50. vinotintazo says:

PhrankLee: Holy that line up makes a lot of sense to me.

compared to last year:

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Perron-Arcobello–Yakupov
    Pouliot-Draisaitl-Purcell
    Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu

51. commonfan14 says:

Water on Mars, eh?

McDavid really did change everything.

52. Caramel Obvious says:

Slepyshev should start the season in the minors if only to gather information of what kind of player you have.

If he starts the season on the third line and struggles you haven’t learned anything. He’s a young player straight from the KHL he is supposed to struggle. You made a bet and lost and learned nothing from losing. That’s bad poker.

However, if he starts the season in the AHL you learn valuable information no matter what happens. If he plays 40 games and puts up a point per game then he’s on track to score in the NHL so that if he struggles when you call him up you can afford to be patient with him because he has a track record.

If, on the other hand, he doesn’t score in the AHL then he isn’t going to score in the NHL either, in which case you found that out without wasting playing time in the NHL.

The AHL is the right play.

53. John Chambers says:

Caramel Obvious,

Not only that but Klinkhammer looks and plays like an NHL player. He was outstanding in the game against Winnipeg. Our 3rd and 4th lines are miles ahead of where they were in the days of Eager-Belanger-Petrell.

Playing the veterans up front to compliment Draisaitl, McDavid, and Yakupov is the way to go. As for the D I think we’re ready to turn the page on Nikitin and go with Reinhart-Gryba on the 3rd pair with Ference-Davidson ready to play in case of injury.

54. doritogrande says:

What happened to the Jones twins? They aren’t listed on the Condors’ training camp roster.

Did they sign elsewhere? Not that they were ever going to crack an NHL lineup, but they were pretty good AHLers last year from defensive standpoints.

55. "Steve Smith" says:

commonfan14:
    Water on Mars, eh?

McDavid really did change everything.

Thread winner.

56. dustrock says:

McLellan should have a pretty decent idea of who’s ready. This isn’t Eakins or Nelson, who knew the AHL well but not NHL head coaching. It might just be a matter of “well, it’s not ideal, but this is the best lineup I can ice at this time”, but it’s still exciting to see.

If he thinks Draisaitl and Slepyshev, McDavid and Yakupov can all contribute, then that’s a great sign.

57. Doug McLachlan says:

fifthcartel: Kinda interesting that Zharkov is listed as an AHL tryout. http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/condors-announce-training-camp-roster-2/

Not sure what is more distant than a distant bell but very intrigued to know if Zharkov has matured enough in time to salvage a career. Was very, very interested in his potential when the Oil first selected him.

58. rickithebear says:

An elite goal scoring release and cares about position and both ends of the ice.
    lets send him down to the AHL.

When asked who was his wild card player.
    PC said,
    Slepyshev.
    -watched him in his draft year.
    -played 2 years in KHL.
    -scored 15 G in KHL with slow start.218lb big strong kid.
    -plays both sides.
    -Terrific shot/ quick release.
    At prospect camp he was getting used to the ice.
    – he is 6’1.5″ 218lb
    -skates
    – shoots the puck
    -you do the math.
    -his release is world class.
    -right now maybe needs time in minors.

2 weeks later.
    Tmac:
    They were the best line on the ice.

On slepyshev:
    “He has the ability to play a hard, heavy game and use his frame. He’s got a good shot. He’s been able to play with speed and grinders. I think he’s getting better day after day and we’re excited to have him in the organization.”

Mcdavid on Slepyshev:
    “He’s a big body, has a great shot and he can skate,” said McDavid. “It’s that combination of size and skill that is pretty dangerous. Obviously, he’s a pretty elite player

.”“He’s an elite scorer,” McDavid said “He’s used to finding those soft spots and getting open and getting it away quick. He’s pretty good at that.”

Zharkov has a lot of the things current management will be looking for, that’s an interesting add.

60. Pouzar says:

doritogrande: What happened to the Jones twins?

Signed in the ECHL with the Missouri Mavericks.

61. Doug McLachlan says:

As with Marco Roy, this is how one should use the AHL roster. Neither Roy nor Zharkov should be taking up one of the 50-man slots, those are to be reserved for players who you know you want but to see if they make the AHL or ECHL roster, well now we have something.

Let’s face it, don’t we all what the kid to make it so we can get a Zharkov jersey? 😉

62. rickithebear says:

vinotintazo: compared to last year:

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Perron-Arcobello–Yakupov
    Pouliot-Draisaitl-Purcell
    Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu

looking at on roster and those moved for roster.

MacT added Pouliot; Slepyshev; Mcdavid; Draisatl; Klinkhammer; Gordon; Hendricks; Schultz; Nurse; Fayne; Nikitin; Scrivens in 24 months
    it is not like he could majically age them. to be more mature players.

Tambo added:
    Eberle #22 2008; Lander #40 2009;marincin #46 2010; Davidson #161 2010; Hall #1 2010; RNH #1 2011; Klefbom #19 2011 Yakupov #1 2012 in 5 years

63. Showerhead says:

Spiders – well hell yes. That is impacting and an absolutely wonderful thing for Ference and the community to do.

The lines – well hell yes. Best possible arrangement of what they have.

Slepyshev – I am more than happy if he goes to the AHL. What an absolutely prime example of a player who could outperform his ELC contract. If you can keep a year of the ELC into McDavid year 4, that’s perfect IMO. Let me be clear – many times when “send him down to preserve his ELC” has been said, I have found it too cute, too smartest-man-in-the-room (these conversations have happened over our #1 overalls.)

Slepyshev, however, is perfect. He is playing well and, by talent, may have earned a longer audition, but he is not so astonishingly amazing that it would be unfair to cut him. He has all of the tools to flourish as a #1 offensive winger against men in the AHL and come out better for it in a year’s time.

These are good problems to have, folks, and it’s about time.

64. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Showerhead,

Someone can correct me on this if I’m wrong, but I don’t think sending him to the AHL preserves his ELC.

65. dustrock says:

Apparently Big Georges was on with Stauffer and said flat out Hall is the next captain of the Oilers. Bob apparently bumbled and stumbled but didn’t outright deny it. Laraque said “I know you know, but you can’t confirm it” or something like that.

66. Woogie63 says:

At the start of the season or 30 games in….

I like Slepyshev with Hall and McDavid … faster, looks like he can be a trigger man, better in the corners

I like Driasaitl with Lander and Yakupov … excellent passer, will compliment Yakupov on a third line for many years

67. striatic says:

commonfan14: Water on Mars, eh?
    McDavid really did change everything.

We’ve know that there is water on Mars for a long time. There are polar caps with water ice visible from telescopes. We’ve clawed the surface of the norther latitudes below the caps and found even more barely below the surface.

This new evidence points to “flowing briny water” on the surface. It isn’t as impressive as it first sounds. The water is so salty that it is highly unlikely anything could live in it. Some of the water might be just salt free enough for some extreme microorganisms – but that water isn’t salty enough to stay on the surface for prolonged periods. It would be transient and unfriendly to life for that reason.

There were some findings from Mars Science Laboratory [Curiosity] in late 2013 that were IMHO more compelling but didn’t get reported much. The rover found that Martian soil is 2% water by weight, which is more than enough to be fairly easily extractable by any visitors or colonists, and at much more favourable latitudes than it had been seen in frozen form. Water is basically *everywhere* on Mars, which was amazing if under reported news. Of course that rover also found loads of dangerous perchlorates in the soil that are very hazardous to humans but them’s the breaks.

68. Showerhead says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Showerhead,

You’re not wrong. I got excited and made a mistake.

We all have our blind spots and our fixations. One of the things I fixate on is the importance of cheap but useful players in McDavid years 4 through forever. I think quality depth and an efficiently constructed roster will be paramount to keeping Edmonton in Cup contention.

I suppose I’m back on the fence re: Slepyshev. Time will tell!

69. kinger_OIL says:

– Is anyone in the market for a brand new Diesel Audi Q5: purcahsed in late July? I know there is depreciation once you get of the lot with a new car, but wow was that the worste purchase in terms of value dropped in my life.

– You leave Sheppy in the AHL becasue Klink is an known entity, and this isn’t a playoff team, and no one got hurt in their development by playing in the AHL, and we’ve got too many youth projecting that are starting in NHL already…

– As I’ve said many times, now G: a back-up and Nillson as your 1-2 is not good. Pre-season doesn’t mean much anyways. Did Scrivens show up in shape, and is he working hard: yes.

70. thurmtim says:

Man oh man. I like to think I am pretty stoic guy with a stiff backbone, but SpiderMabel left me gibbering and weak kneed. You just want to hug a kid like that. What a fabulous and creative effort by The Children’s Wish Foundation and the the great people of Edmonton.

I don’t always impress easily, but here I am am – completely gobsmacked and very impressed!

GO MABEL GO!!!

71. slopitch says:

Interesting timing with this #spidermable story if Hall does indeed become captain in the next few days. Either way great story and good on Ference for doing this.

72. Snowman says:

SpiderMabel really is just fantastic. Stories and children like that really put things like preseason hockey and water on Mars and all other things in life into perspective. Just beautiful.

73. SwedishPoster says:

A ZHARKOV SITING!
    He’s not so much a distant bell as he is the bloody SETI project. But still I like it. He did show well in his first few camps and then just flatlined. Hope he comes in swinging. I’m rooting for the underdog of underdogs. He’s like a russian doll version of the underdog, he’s an underdog inside an underdog inside an underdog inside an underdog inside a distant bell.

74. Frank the dog says:

thurmtim:

GO MABEL GO!!!

If I can add anything to this conversation it relates to a very intense personal experience, the result of which I would encourage anyone who knows parents of a kid who gets sick, as hard as it is to do this, is to treat the kid normally, or as close to normal as possible, and DO NOT WALK AWAY no matter how hard it might be.
    The people we knew were flooded with love and sympathy in the beginning, but with the passage of just a few years and about 20 operations, all but one family had disappeared into the ether. Smiles and nice words but from a distance.
    I’m not blaming those people, I’m just saying that it is difficult beyond description for parents when that happens.

75. rickithebear says:

Coaches with a history of Emphasizing net protection D play.
    with 2 conf finals
    Boudreau ANA 109 pt
    Hitchcock STL (DAL; PHI) 109 pt
    Laviolette NSH (CAR; PHI) 104 pt
    Quenville CHI (STL; CHI) 102 pt
    Maurice WPG (Car) 99pt
    Sutter LAK ; (LAK; CGY) 95 pt
    Ruff DAL (BUF) 92pt
    Tipett ARZ (DAL; ARZ) 56 pT
    Tmac EDM (SJS)

Vigneault NYR (VCR; NYR) 113 pt
    Julien BOS (BOS) 96 pt
    Babcock TOR (DET)
    Tortarella NO team (TMP; NYR)

76. Centre of attention says:

Glencross signed a PTO with the Colorado Avalanche. Just sayin.

77. commonfan14 says:

striatic: commonfan14: Water on Mars, eh?
    McDavid really did change everything.

I should have remembered it from that time Woodguy said the Martian water should make the opening night roster.

78. LoDog says:

Centre of attention:
    Glencross signed a PTO with the Colorado Avalanche. Just sayin.

What exactly are you sayin?

79. pocession charge says:

So is Hall going to be named captain? Georges Laracque says it’s a done deal.

80. TheOtherJohn says:

rickithebear,

Ricki Tambellini signed Schultz. I didn’t check rest of your list but that’s a bit of a basic error. Would also suggest you do not understand lotteries if you believe Mact added CMD