THE EAGLE HAS LANDED

The Oilers lost Jordan Eberle to injury last night, and that’s a bad thing. Righty in a sea of lefties and the man is a first-shot scorer on a team with a lot of playmakers up and down the line. Ghastly turn, he had a slow start due to injury a year ago and this time it’s no start at all. Candidates to replace him on the Nuge line? Teddy Purcell, Lauri Korpikoski, Nail Yakupov, Anton Slepyshev, and Taylor Hall. Seriously. No. 4 hasn’t been good with McDavid, maybe a move back to Nuge’s line will get him straight. I think Leon is best suited for the McDavid line but he’s an option too. If I had a vote, the next eight weeks might go like this:

• Pouliot—Nuge—Purcell
  • Hall—McDavid—Draisaitl
  • Korpikoski—Lander—Yakupov
  • Hendricks—Letestu—Klinkhammer

SLEPYSHEV

My goodness he is playing well. Slepyshev is a RH winger who has an attractive combination of size, speed and skill. Zero idea how the young man passed through one draft let alone lasted to No. 88 in the following draft. One reason he may have fallen: SlepSlappy’s game looks well suited to the NHL style, his physical play and willingness to engage definitely catches the eye. Looks like a smart player too, I’d still send him down. Too much youth on the top three lines as it is, Slepyshev is only a phone call a way if needed. Based on last night’s performance, I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the team, however. Seriously.

NHL defensemen are going to have nightmares and pure hatred in their hearts by Christmas. McDavid is going to get stoned by opposition goalies (his shot won’t beat them clean based on what I’ve seen so far) but the defensemen are literally screwing themselves into the ice trying to keep up with him and his blasted passing ability. I don’t recall the last time an Oilers rookie had me looking forward to watching his career roll out like this guy. It was a long time ago.

THE BLUE

That was a good game by Nikita Nikitin and yes he’s still too slow. Great, great pass on the first Lander goal and he made some nice plays without the puck. Sekera and Schultz looked very good, the puck was zipping all over the place. I’d love to see that pairing again. Reinhart was uneven as was his partner Fayne. I thought they’d be better together, but there were precious few crisp tape-to-tape passes when they were on the ice. Reinhart had a reasonable night defending to my eye, he’s a young defender who will need to increase the speed and quality of his decisions when handling the puck.

LANDER

Thank God and Greyhound no one took him on waivers. Lordy. I know it was pre-season and a subpar Coyotes group but he can play a 200 foot game and has genuine skill. Oilers traded Shawn Horcoff in 2013 and got him back—younger version—in 2015. He’s got a wonderful range of skills and his offensive game has grown over the AHL seasons. New rule: You have to wait five years after draft for prospects to develop, six if your team is run by dummies. I added a little at the end there.

Lander’s range of skills could be a big deal for this team under Todd McLellan. The coach mentioned last night that he was told the Swede was a slow starter (insider intel from Oilers’ brass must border on Fawlty Towers hilarity) but he hadn’t seen it. Could the Oilers use Lander as a stealth offensive center, sneaking Hall, McDavid and others onto his line? Suspect he could mentor Leon too. My word having responsible centermen opens up the possibilities.

landers1

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fluid show this morning, TSN1260 beginning at 10. I’ll have Bruce McCurdy from the Cult of Hockey joining me at 10:20 and Andrew Bucholtz from 55-Yard Line at 10:40. The 11am hour looks like we’ll be visiting some eastern NHL cities to get a feel for their camp but as mentioned we’re not currently locked in. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. 90 minutes!

159 Responses to "THE EAGLE HAS LANDED"

1. zatch says:

What’s the word on Ebs?

2. PhrankLee says:

My oh my Lander will be a good mentor for Leon.

Personally I am astonished that he stuck around bu I am so happy he did.

Lander does things with his positioning that protect the ice around him. Not just the puck. Forchecking angles that give him a chance at wining a puck in a decent position.

He’s a man now, Ma.

Take your guns to town, son.

Don’t leave them guns at home, Bill.

3. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

Guys I apologize in advance for tooting my own horn but I just finished my first 31 Thoughts blog post. It took me forever to come up with 31 thoughts so just trying to get at least a couple of people to read it!

4. Stud Muffin says:

Any waiver pickups to possibility fill in for Eberle?

Real_Hockey_Fan:

I love you sooooooo much.

Great stuff.

6. su_dhillon says:

In light of the Eberle injury wouldn’t surprise me if that Lander-Yak line becomes a sort of utility line where any of the guys could move up to play the wing on the top 2 lines depending on game situation and who is going well. If Yak has it going and they are down a goal, he gets bumped up to play on one of those, or in a game where your up 1 maybe its Korpoksoki or even Lander who we have seen play the wing before. I would say there is a chance we see all 3 of those guys along with Leon play all over.

The head coach is an experienced guy who has a history or moving guys up and down the lineup and using centers on the wing so, wouldn’t surprise me at all if the lines are pretty fluid during games, at least until Eberle gets back. Which hopefully is soon.

Real_Hockey_Fan:

#16 is pure gold:

16. I can’t believe some Oiler fans wanna run the captain Andrew Ference out of town. Give yer head a shake people the mans practically a saint!!! The thing people don’t realize about Ference is that he’s got deceptive slowness. You think he’s fast because he probably leads the league in leg pumps per second and the other team expects that he’ll be in one spot and he’s not their yet and then they turn around and BAM! he takes the puck and fires it down the ice. Most people don’t think of things like that.

8. HiddenDarts says:

Real_Hockey_Fan,

Dang. You lost me at:

“Folks if you came here looking for fancy spelling and grammar you’ve come to the wrong place theres the door ”

Then, suddenly, a Woodguy approval? I’m so confused.

9. Hall Awaits says:

RE: Eberle injury

Do they go get a Bergenheim, Stempniak or Glenncross? Slepyshev has been great, but I absolutely agree they can’t roll out half the Condors line up opening night. But if you moved Yakupov up the line up you could park Slepyshev with Lander and Draisaitl. Some great possibilities down the road if anything…

Hall has looked poor so far by my eye. Really hoping he picks it up. Reminds me of how Iginla starts every year.

10. HiddenDarts says:

Ok. I get it. Real_Hockey_Fan is “fer realz”. Full of “gummpsion” and “vinigar”.

Sorry. Just starting my coffee.

11. DasBavaria says:

Real_Hockey_Fan,

Loved your 31 Thoughts!

If you’d like someone to look over grammar (not that your article was horrible or anything) before you post, I’d love to help out. I’m @dasbavaria on Twitter as well, hit me up if you’re interested. 🙂

12. Gret99zky says:

LT-Any reason why you would say, ” Seriously. No. 4 hasn’t been good with McDavid, maybe a move back to Nuge’s line will get him straight.”

Then run the next 8 weeks with Hall—McDavid—Draisaitl???

13. blainer says:

Lander as been quite the surprise.. I am amazed he has developed and NHL type shot. I can see him moving up the depth chart and playing top six mins and getting lots of PP time. Eberele’s injury should only help landers PP time..

14. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

DasBavaria,

Take a look at the editor’s note at the top.

15. TheGreatMcMutato says:

thecommanderantonlander?

16. Bos8 says:

31 thoughts is tongue in cheek, ahem.

“Deceptive slowness” Snorckle

Reminds me of my off shore friends

“Stay where you’re to, I’ll come where you’re at”

Answer

“I’m not there yet”

17. RMGS says:

I’m still holding out hope that Coach McLellan will be able to unlock Yak and minimize performances like his at EV last night. Granted, his linemates were in the same boat, but the team was outshot handily when he was on the ice by the AHL/junior opposition he faced.

It’s telling that Coach McLellan still hasn’t given him a look with McDavid, but maybe Eberle’s injury forces the issue. Yak has little chemistry with Nuge. Why not try him with he who turns water into wine, especially as a pre-season experiment?

18. blainer says:

This pre seasons record is worrisome as we have not played an NHL lineup yet. Now it is better we are not losing those games but one should not expect much until we see some competition. Really hard to asses the goalies in this environment as well. As much as I hate to see it I can see us starting with the three headed monster. They don’t want to get caught like they have the last two years scrambling for a goalie 5 games into the season.

19. kinger_OIL says:

– Should Eberle be out for anything other than a few days, this will be a good test for management

– Old Oil would just plug in Sheppy, because he looked good in training camp: “hey what can go wrong with a rookie whose never played in North America, lining up on the top line. If that doesn’t work, we are on it, we’ve got Purcell”

– I hope/bet they get one of those gritty vets that they know what they have so the bleeding is minimal, instead of putting a rook in over their head, and fingers-crossed it works out.

20. TheGreatMcMutato says:

Real_Hockey_Fan,

There were 148 exclamation points in the article itself. Well played, sir.

21. Bruce McCurdy says:

Real_Hockey_Fan:

22. DasBavaria says:

Real_Hockey_Fan,

That’s fair!

23. CofC says:

Great article;

Agree with your thoughts, but thinking that Nuge line as posted needs a finisher. Purcell and Pouliot tend to play more of a complementary/support role, so might be a better fit to have Yak or Slep in there…

24. Pouzar says:

blainer:
    Lander as been quite the surprise..I am amazed he has developed and NHL type shot. I can see him moving up the depth chart and playing top six mins and getting lots of PP time. Eberele’s injury should only help landers PP time..

I am not surprised. I called it. I said to anyone who would listen that guy’s AHL game could and would translate to NHL if given the chance. </end of self praise

25. JD¡™ says:

Real_Hockey_Fan:

At leest 3.33% better then Freidmann.

26. Ducey says:

Hall Awaits:
    RE: Eberle injury

Stud Muffin:
    Any waiver pickups to possibility fill in for Eberle?

An Eberle injury just assures Leon a spot:

Pouliot – Nuge – Leon
    Hall – McDavid – Purcell
    Korpi – Lander – Yak
    Klink – Letestu – Hendricks
    Gazzzdic

27. Bruce McCurdy says:

blainer:
    This pre seasons record is worrisome as we have not played an NHL lineup yet. Now it is better we are not losing those games but one should not expect much until we see some competition. Really hard to asses the goalies in this environment as well. As much as I hate to see itI can see us starting with the three headed monster. They don’t want to get caught like they have the last two years scrambling for a goalie 5 games into the season.

Oilers have played four home games (inc Saskatoon ) without seeing a single starting netminder, first pairing defender, or first line forward in any of them. I had a big rant about this at CoH yesterday, & last night (Game Six FFS) got no better. Fams are getting ripped off, & so is the home team itself that is trying to prep for the season

28. Pouzar says:

RMGS: Why not try him with

I’ll be glad when this stops. One day.

29. Pouzar says:

Slepy has got be up with the big club. He looks like he’s playing small rink hockey for years.
    He doesn’t look 21 out there and that’s what playing against men gets you. With Drai and Slepy in Top 6 we are young but like Tmc says “In a perfect world…”.

30. Clarkenstein says:

Bruce McCurdy: Oilers have played four home games (inc Saskatoon ) without seeing a single starting netminder, first pairing defender, or first line forward in any of them. I had a big rant about this at CoH yesterday, & last night (Game Six FFS) got no better.Fams are getting ripped off, & so is the home team itself that is trying to prep for the season

Bingo!!

31. Ducey says:

Pouzar:

How do you think Slepy will look when the Oilers actually play a real NHL team?

How about game 10 when teams get their systems ramped up?

Send him down. The Oilers don’t need to repeat the Leon Draisatl experience from last year.

32. Lois Lowe says:

Hall and McDavid shouldn’t play on the same line. They are both best as the primary puck carriers or first F to leave the zone to stretch out the D. There’s too much speed wasted when they’re together.

33. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Pouzar,

It’s tough. You want to send guys down, but you want them to know there is competition.

He hasn’t been marginally better than the opposition. He’s been a lot better, and it hasn’t been close. That’s not simply an analysis of box scores either, his whole game has looked solid.

I understand the opposition hasn’t been top tier. It’s the same problem with Nilsson. You tell them to earn it, then they earn it. It’s not their fault that the lineups they are facing are sub par. They’ve done what has been asked of them.

Not saying keeping them is the right call, frankly I don’t know for sure what is. Simply saying it makes for a managerial headache for sure.

Note that prospects outperforming expectations is one of the better reasons to have a headache.

34. Pouzar says:

Ducey:

Send him down.The Oilers don’t need to repeat the Leon Draisatl experience from last year.

35. PhrankLee says:

Bruce McCurdy: …(Game Six FFS) got no better. Fams are getting ripped off, & so is the home team itself that is trying to prep for the season

I would also like to see a line up play together a few times before the season starts. Last year was ridiculous.

36. dustrock says:

I’m dying here: Looks like the Oilers shouldn’t have given up all those draft picks for Cam Talbot. Anders Nilsson hasn’t allowed a preseason goal yet!! On pace to allow 0 goals!!! It would be big if that happened.

Gret99zky:

Then run the next 8 weeks with Hall—McDavid—Draisaitl???

Hall may have to be moved off that line, likely switching with Pouliot. Todd McLellan is a smarter hockey man than I am, and he went with that pair out of camp. That has value imo, despite the poor showing so far by Hall.

38. TheOtherJohn says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Oilers must have already known they were going to be playing sub par lineups. As a result they did not bother to incur the expense associated with a televised preseason game. .

39. Water Fire says:

I don’t remember which blogger looked into it, but chemistry is good players playing with good players.

Yak’s problems are his own, and his complaint that they played him with lower end players is valid. He is a fortunate guy that McLellan is his coach now, may have saved his North American career if he can get his head around the things he’s being taught now.

40. rickithebear says:

kinger_OIL: hey what can go wrong with a rookie whose never played PROFESSIONALLY in North America, lining up on the top line.

Slepyshev:
    Yes I know he was #1 pick in KHL
    Yes I know he scored Even Goals at 18 like Kovalchuk; Semin; Ovechki; Malkin; Tarasenko
    Yes i know PC/Tmac have stated he is big; Fast; Outmuscle in corners; Find space in slot; play both ends of ice; can play 1st to 4th line role. Tmac says retrieval game like Korpikoski. Go in Corner meh come out with puck!

But clearly he is not ready!
    Cause he is from Europe.

41. Nostradumbass says:

kinger_OIL:

– Old Oil would just plug in Sheppy, because he looked good in training camp: “hey what can go wrong with a rookie whose never played in North America, lining up on the top line.If that doesn’t work, we are on it, we’ve got Purcell”

– I hope/bet they get one of those gritty vets thatthey know what they have so the bleeding is minimal, instead of putting a rook in over their head, and fingers-crossed it works out.

I 100% agree

I really hoped that 2015 would be the year the Oilers organization stopped using 8 games against AHL lineups as the basis for picking a team

Starting the season with two rookies and Leon in the forward lineup regardless of how talented they are will be a problem

42. RMGS says:

Pouzar: I’ll be glad when this stops. One day.

Given that quality of teammates tends to count more than quality of competition and that Yak has rarely played with top teammates, it likely won’t stop … until he’s traded for picks.

McLellan can fix Yak, but I’m not encouraged for Yak’s future by a bona fide NHL coach’s hesitancy to play him with the Golden Child.

43. TeeVee says:

Despite Hall’s lack of points thus far he’s backchecking like a demon. If that continues I’m still happy with him.

There was one play last night later in the game where Hall retrieved the puck around our blueline and McDavid took off like a bullet. Normally it would be Hall that would burst with speed and start the rush but he almost looked shocked that there was someone else faster than him heading up ice. He passed the puck to McDavid lol.

44. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy: Had me at “a leper doesn’t change its spots” that is wordplay at its most provocative.

Yeah, that one killed me. Literally.

Sarcasm and facetiousness firing on all sillinders there.

45. RexLibris says:

Hall hasn’t been producing a great deal with McDavid, but I’d say that those two were paired for a reason and Hall himself has said that he feels like he is developing chemistry with McDavid.

I don’t see a problem having two fast skaters on the same line, in fact one could argue that splitting them up does no good as it means they are now playing with slower linemates.

The same could be said of the argument that they both like to carry the puck into the zone. Splitting them up means that the opposition knows which of the forwards is most likely to carry the puck in, whereas when they are playing together, skating at full speed, it forces the defense to face two options, both at high speed and both dangerous scoring options in their own right.

I’d say leave them together for another five games and see what happens. They’re already adjusting to a new coach, new systems, and each other as linemates. And if McDavid is getting prime scoring chances every game now, as seems to be the case, then leaving him with a veteran winger that he seems comfortable playing alongside is a reasonable option.

46. RexLibris says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 37s37 seconds ago

Magnus Paajarvi (STL) an interesting name on waivers today

Let it begin.

47. kinger_OIL says:

rickithebear,

– If it was only Sheppy maybe I agree with you Richard L’Ours:

– But you have Drai who is a rook (and had no business being on that team for 40 games last year), McD, who is amazing, but still a rook, Yak, who one hopes emerges, and Lander, who played 40 games last year, and you hope this is his new level.

– Too much hope, too much last-10 years: “well he’s young but got game, so lets through a bunch of them out there and waste a ton of games with a bunch of inexperience, and let them fail in the NHL”

– That’s 5 of your top-9 who aren’t established NHL’ers: no thanks, please be different management this time.

48. Ducey says:

Pouzar: So a 21 year old coming off playing in the second best men’s league in the world is the same as an 18 year old playing junior? Give yer head a shake man. Send him down if you prefer but bad example. The rest of your argument is a guess.

He does not speak English. He has not played on a small rink expect for a rookie tournament and some games against expansion/ AHL teams.

Make him prove it in the AHL. If he can put up a point/game in the minors then he might be something. Making that decision based on a small sample size and inferior competition is the guess.

Playing rookies before they have proved it in the AHL doesn’t work.

It didn’t work for Leon. It didn’t work for Lander. It has not worked for Yak (although they really had no choice). We can only wonder how much better Schultz would be had he proved he could play defense in the minors. Gagner, Cogliano, MPS. How many prospects do they need to screw up before people figure out there is a problem with pushing the newest shiny toy?

The Detroit model works. The Oilers model doesn’t.

Aside from the benefits to the player, sending him to the minors also reduces his cap hit in years to come.

There is no downside to sending him to the farm.

49. Centre of attention says:

Magnus PRV is on waivers today, according to Friedman. Hmmmmm.

50. Centre of attention says:

RexLibris,

Beat me too it ! :/ I would pass, to be honest.

51. LoDog says:

RexLibris:
    Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 37s37 seconds ago

Magnus Paajarvi (STL) an interesting name on waivers today

Let it begin.

I HAVE AN IDEA! The Oilers should claim Paajarvi! His corsi is good!

Did I do that right?

52. jm363561 says:

========
    12. One of my worrys about the Oilers is there lack of grit. Can’t understand why they got rid of a gritty guy like Boyd Gordon. Theres a guy not afraid to go into the corners and get his jersey dirty. The NHL is a rough league folks and you need some guys with grit!

Liked the list. Unfortunately the least amusing point (12) is a concern I have shared before. Other than McLander, who I have been promoting since I saw him last March, only Hendriks (and possibly Gryba and Reinhart) is a warrior. Currrently we would be a shoe in for the playoffs in the National Ballerina Hockey League. The NHL, I live in hope.

53. Pouzar says:

I guess I missed the part where Slepy had to play the whole year in EDM if he made the team.
    My bad. Send him down.

54. Oil2Oilers says:

LoDog: I HAVE AN IDEA! The Oilers should claim Paajarvi! His corsi is good!

Did I do that right?

Good start, add;

Friend of Lenin!

1st round draft pick!

LT knows his dad!

More upside tha Korpokoski

55. dustrock says:

Chris Westcott on his blog(?) posted that Eberle would be out 4-6 weeks.

Surprised he wouldn’t tweet that.

Also if you go to the Oilers site, it says “Eberle out 4-6 weeks”, but it’s a dead link.

56. 719 says:

I would try Yak with Hall/McDavid for one game. McL must have a reason for his hesistancy?

57. jm363561 says:

Astonished at the first (blurred) sightings of Sleps. If he maintains that level in the AHL bump him up by all means. Those saying he should go straight in probably pushed Jesse Joennusiozu and Steve Pinozioziotto (and other players whose names I cannot spell) after their excellent training camp performances last year.

58. su_dhillon says:

Eberle 4-6 weeks via the Oilers. Shit

59. Pouzar says:

su_dhillon:
    Eberle 4-6 weeks via the Oilers. Shit

Could have been a lot worse. Collarbone?

60. DBO says:

MPS on waivers. it is happening. Pick him up Oilers. a big two way 3rd liner, adds experience and another Swede to the team! It is our modern day Pisani!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go get Paajarvi dammit! He is free, fills the gap of losing Eberle (not as a first liner, but it means not throwing Slepyshev to the bigs too soon) for a period of time. 3rd line of Paajarvi-Lander-Yak makes me smile!

Make me think its Ben Massey or Cam Thompson.

Outside shot: Zona

62. Truth says:

su_dhillon:
    Eberle 4-6 weeks via the Oilers. Shit

From the looks of the hit and the verbal coming from Stauffer and Gregor this is somewhat good news. Could be way worse.

However, I sure hope they’re not doing the typical Oilers half-measure that they did with Hall and RNH. The Oilers gave them both time to heal and they would repeatedly get injured trying to make it through the season until they finally went for surgery late in the season where it affected the following season. If Eberle comes back, plays at 80% for a while, and then aggravates the injury and goes for surgery we’ll know the Oilers haven’t changed their physicians with all the rest of the off-season moves.

63. leadfarmer says:

DBO,

Also, Stortini and Colin McDonald. Its raining former Oilers today.

64. Mr. D. says:

What is a puck mover?
    A. Someone who can dangle out of his zone while everybody ahead slows down and opposition forecheckers get back into the play.
    B. Someone who battles and gains possession along the boards and makes a short pass to a accelerating supporting forward?
    To be real puck mover you need both.

65. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

This link is for you: http://www.buzzfeed.com/sandramendez/17-people-that-had-a-little-too-much-fun-with-how-1lvd4#.vdKjGw8wQ

How to make Hipsters cry.

That’s a bucket list worth doing.

66. dkas says:

Real_Hockey_Fan,

Good job, I’m lucky if I have 31 thoughts in an entire month. I know everyone’s a critic, so feel free to take it or leave it, but for me it would be an easier read if you didn’t use multiple exclamation points in a row, and you cut the total number of occasions where you used exclamation points by about half. I totally get that you’re coming at your readers with a lot of energy and that is your style, but for me it’s not just a grammar thing, it’s about wanting to read something without feeling “screamed” at. Or maybe it’s just still too early in the morning for me 🙂

Otherwise it was a fun read, and keep it up!

67. RexLibris says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m2 minutes ago

#Oilers assign Darnell Nurse, Mitch Moroz, Martin Gernat & Iiro Pakarinen to @Condors. Roster now sits at 28 players (3G, 10D, 15F).

68. Mr. D. says:

Pouzar,

Way better to break a coller bone. 6-8 weeks healed. Shoulder can be chronic.

69. RexLibris says:

Pakarinen really missed an opportunity this year due to injury.

If he were in the conversation with Slepyshev at the time of Eberle’s injury that would make things really interesting.

I think claiming Paajarvi is a no brainer.

The Oilers are down their 1 and 2 RW right now with Eberle gone for 4-6 and Purcell having a wonky groin.

There is zero downside to picking him up.

When Eberle gets healthy you can decide if he’s worth keeping. If not, waive him.

If he clears and you own him, but he’s UFA after this season if you really don’t want him around.

No brainier given the issue on the wing right now.

He might not make it past ARI though.

Paajariv can check and Maloney/Tippett see a lot of value in those players.

71. Truth says:

PRV may be tall and fast, but he’s softer than Teddy (Butter) Purcell. He has all the tools but due to not being willing to go to the hard areas of the ice he’s not an NHL player, unfortunately.

72. Snowman says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 3m3 minutes ago

Well Kinger I owe Lowetide some money.

73. dustrock says:

Stay hungry, Darnell Nurse.

RexLibris:
    Woodguy,

How to make Hipsters cry.

That’s a bucket list worth doing.

Sounds like how I talk to strangers every day.

75. Truth says:

Woodguy:

There is zero downside to picking him up.

How does it work for waiver claim priority? The Oilers are in a good position now due to the standings last season. If they make a claim do they jump to the bottom? The downside for me is claiming PRV and missing a much better player in the coming weeks due to being at the bottom of the claim priority.

Edit: Plus, as earlier stated I don’t think he’s an NHL player

76. kinger_OIL says:

Snowman:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers3m3 minutes ago

Well Kinger I owe Lowetide some money.

– Lowetide is the winner on the transaction!

– I think Woodguy should put up some money too: he rated Nurse as top-7, over Reinhart, untill he back-tracked

– Oil Bets are fun when Lowetide.com is the house.

– Good on you Snow!

77. Oil2Oilers says:

Woodguy: When Eberle gets healthy you can decide if he’s worth keeping.

Or convert him to the defenseman he was always ment to be.

78. Pouzar says:

dustrock:
    Stay hungry, Darnell Nurse.

My Nov Moose Tickets just got even better.

Kick Ass Darnell!

79. Ducey says:

Is MPS any better than Klink?

Because that is who he would bump off the roster (assuming they keep Leon).

I am not sure that he is.

80. GCW_69 says:

MPS – grab him and see how he does with Lander while Ebs is out.

81. Ducey says:

Oh, and obviously in light of my position outlined above, I am happy Nurse has been sent down.

Smart move.

Let him play 20+ mins a night in all situations.

82. fifthcartel says:

I doubt Buffalo or Arizona claims Paajarvi. They both have younger wingers they can play, especially in Arizona’s case. I doubt Edmonton claims him, I think they should, but if they don’t he won’t make it past Toronto.

83. RMGS says:

Ducey:
    Is MPS any better than Klink?

Because that is who he would bump off the roster (assuming they keep Leon).

I am not sure that he is.

If Purcell starts on the IR and they keep 8D, it would be Slepyshev that he bumps.

84. leadfarmer says:

Oil2Oilers,

Yeah someone really made the kid a disservice switching him to wing. He can skate and pass and understands the defensive side of the game, three of the key attributes of a modern defenseman. And if you are thinking that he isnt physical enough and doesnt do those thunderous bodychecks please slap yourself for me. Many good defensemen were not know for physicallity but for positioning. You don’t need to knock the guy to the ground to knock the puck away.

85. LoDog says:

Woodguy:
    I think claiming Paajarvi is a no brainer.

There is zero downside to picking him up.

When Eberle gets healthy you can decide if he’s worth keeping.If not, waive him.

No brainier given the issue on the wing right now.

He might not make it past ARI though.

Paajariv can check and Maloney/Tippett see a lot of value in those players.

Can he check? Can he do much of anything?

Hitchcock values checking and defensive play and Paajarvi is getting no love there.

86. John Chambers says:

Real_Hockey_Fan:

This was excellent.

My favorite: “10. I see that Josh Ho-Sang was sent home by the Islanders because he slept in and was late for the first day of training camp. Thats too bad for the kid. Now I was thinking if Ranger fans were smart they’d think of a way to mess with Tavaras’s alarm clock next year!!! And getting back to Ho-Sang…Jeff Marek says he’s got top 5 talent but what he really needs is a top 5 alarm clock!!!”

87. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

dkas:
    Real_Hockey_Fan,

Good job, I’m lucky if I have 31 thoughts in an entire month.I know everyone’s a critic, so feel free to take it or leave it, but for me it would be an easier read if you didn’t use multiple exclamation points in a row, and you cut the total number of occasions where you used exclamation points by about half. I totally get that you’re coming at your readers with a lot of energy and that is your style, but for me it’s not just a grammar thing, it’s about wanting to read something without feeling “screamed” at. Or maybe it’s just still too early in the morning for me

Otherwise it was a fun read, and keep it up!

Here’s my reply to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyRLFWF2v_U

88. striatic says:

I have to be missing something, but Paajarvi is a LW, right?

How does Eberle’s injury create an opening for him? There’s a current LW who can switch? Paajarvi got experience at RW in St. Louis?

89. Water Fire says:

Ducey:
    Is MPS any better than Klink?

Because that is who he would bump off the roster (assuming they keep Leon).

I am not sure that he is.

That’s what I was thinking. Pajaarvi is like Pitlick without the hitting but healthy – big fast looks like a player but devoid of net instincts.

90. su_dhillon says:

Woodguy,

The Paajarvi career arch is really interesting, I think we all had questions about his offense but he seemed a lock for a long career as a fast,responsible checking top 9 forward in the Dvorak mold. Haven’t seen him much since he left but is there any indication that the gets that part of the game?

Sometimes I wonder if we project guys into roles that their physical skills project as fits but their brains don’t. All that being said, there is zero risk in bringing him in here and maybe playing with Lander sparks something. The tools are there.

91. russ99 says:

I hope they get someone off the waiver wire who can play a 2-way game.

Do we really want Gazdic playing every game for the next 6 weeks?

92. Factotum says:

Real_Hockey_Fan:

Now there’s a bunch of thoughts written by a true good Canadian hockey fan, I’m telling you! That’s how you do it, right there!

Loved it.

93. bendelson says:

RexLibris:
    Woodguy,

How to make Hipsters cry.

That’s a bucket list worth doing.

As the sites resident experts on hipster spotting, let me ask you two:
    Was Clutterbuck the NHL’s ‘original hipsta’? I suspect he was…

I was accused of looking like a hipster recently (damn Blundstones). I had to inform the fella that my beard was in fact a holdover from the 2006 Oilers playoffs – which I admit is sad on a completely different level.

Lander will fix PRV. Pick him up!

94. russ99 says:

Real_Hockey_Fan:

This one almost ended up with my soft drink coming out of my nose:

“20. I know Oilers fans love to trash Dallas Eakins but one thing you can say about him is he never lost a big game.”

95. khildahl says:

bendelson,

I hear you. I had a full beard long before they started growing them.

96. Kitchener says:

The main silver lining to the Eberle injury is that RNH may shoot more.

Eberle has been a shining light of pure skill in the franchise’s dark days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ofJBlUXo8Y

97. Kitchener says:

Look out AHL: Nurse is on a mission to destroy you all.

98. dustrock says:

khildahl: bendelson, I hear you. I had a full beard long before they started growing them.

Looks like you just outed yourself, KHILDAHL. 😉

It is unlikely the OIlers claim Paajarvi. Although he might have more upside potential, Korpikoski and Klinkhammer are here and have been through training camp, and thus are better options to start the season with rather than bringing someone in since they know the system.

Slepyshev and Purcell are better short term options for the top six.

Paajarvi will always be available for a trade, if he is not claimed elsewhere.

Eberle’s injury just means Draisaitl and Yakupov and maybe Slepyshev get more ice time.

The Oilers will stay in-house to fill in for Eberle, unless they trade for a proven NHL player.

Basically, Stepyshev and Klinkhammer are better short term options than Paajarvi.

For Paajarvi, I think Vancouver would be a good landing spot.

100. David says:

I have to finally chime in on Slepyshev, and Nilsson, and the illogical arguments being thrown around. First off if the argument isthat we can’t run with Talbot/Nilsson because of inexperience? Maybe if Scrivens was at 300+ games played but he’s nowhere close. We’ll have an inexperienced pair no matter which we choose so choose the best one.

If Slepyshev checks off all the boxes for a normal team do we even have to go on? He checks all the boxes. If you say that he would make your team based on merit if he was one of only two rookies then he should make this team number of rookies has nothing to do with it you admitted that he should make the team based on his play! Is his play suddenly worse because of the number of young players on the team?

More to that point, the Oilers problems for the past decade has never been about too much youth, it’s been about too many terrible players. Are we buying in to the idea that Hall and Ebs and Nuge were the problems their early years? No they were the only good. The Problem was Belanger, and Fraser, and Grebeschov (forgive spelling) and Smithson and Stortini and on and on.

Bad Hockey players make bad teams, Good hockey players make good teams. Age has nothing to do with it. And as Pouzar said if Slepyshev struggles we can send him down, but he has earned a spot on the team by being one of our best 12 forwards in preseason so reward good play.

As LT says from time to time the Oilers make decisions based on things other than winning. It’s about time they stop.

101. vinotintazo says:

godot10,

I agree with most of this.

there is just no room for him. I wish him well 🙂

102. khildahl says:

dustrock,

I’ve also loved whiskey and smoked meat the whole time. I’m extra screwed.

Never had a man-bun, though, and I don’t dress like a hobo.

103. russ99 says:

I just hope Chiarelli isn’t as gunshy of using the waiver wire than our previous 2 GMs were.

104. Ducey says:

godot10:

For Paajarvi, I think Vancouver would be a good landing spot.

Unless he has been working on his diving, cheap shotting, and being a gutless puke, they likely won’t want him.

The Oilers are unlikely to claim Paajarvi because they don’t need him. One of those reasons? The guy they drafted next.

106. doritogrande says:

Come on Oilers! Make my Paajarvi jersey relevant again!

Not that it would ever happen but a Hall-McDavid-Paajarvi line would absolutely fly. Depth is never a bad thing to have., but with him not being around in TC I don’t see how he’s better than those we already have that would fill his spot (bottom-6 winger).

107. Bag of Pucks says:

Audrey Landers. Booyah. I’ve only purchased one copy of Playboy magazine in my entire life. It was the issue with the Landers sisters pictorial. I recall no buyer’s remorse.

If Anton Lander having a good night, means a pic of one of the Landers’ lasses the next day, I’m suddenly a fan of the sublime swede!

Given the choice between Ruxpin and Sleppy, I’m going with Sleppy. Keeping the vet in the Top 6 over the rook assumes the vet is better at D. He is not.

108. Nostradumbass says:

Wasn’t Magnus waived last December with no takers?

Can’t see somebody taking the Swedish Kent Manderville

109. geowal says:

I’m approaching the point where if you really feel like the oilers will hit a “MAX ROOKIES” threshold in the lineup, you send down Leon and keep Slepyshev up, not the other way around. Possible Blasphemy around here, I know.

110. Bag of Pucks says:

Magnus Paajarvi is Martin Erat without the offense.

That is not a good thing.

111. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Hi folks,
    Just stopping by from Amsterdam. Off to London tomorrow. Weather has been beautiful here in Northern Europe, and this city is really pretty–more canals than Venice! They sure know how to live over here with the outdoor cafes and the bicycles and the beautiful people just hanging out on boats with picnic baskets on the weekend. I’ve got no comment on the more liberal aspects of this town as I am not exploring that aspect of it, but I’m here to visit my sister, who is over here for a few months. The museums are great as well. One thing I will say is that if you are feeling down it may not be the best place for you. There’s a beautiful melancholia to the place that will grow on you as you stay, but if you come in already like Eeyore with a cloud over you, all you will see is sad beauty everywhere.

Speaking of sad, sucks to hear about Eberle, but every team goes through injuries at some point. This gives someone a chance to step up–Nail, I am looking at you–seize the opportunity.

The Oilers did the right thing by sending Nurse down this year. Let him tear up the AHL. He will be back up by Christmas, I would think.

I am glad to read from nearly everyone that Schultz is looking much better this camp; that confirms my belief from the exit interview that he would have a much different level of focus this summer and come into camp with more determination. It’s just the preseason, though, so he needs to follow through.

As for Hall’s lack of production, I wouldn’t worry too much there. He is probably adjusting to life playing a sort of second fiddle and also to playing with someone with such immense speed and skill. When they click they will be dynamite, and I don’t think the Oilers should break up Pouliot-Nuge as they can handle all the tough opposition.

As for Slepyshev, from the Penticton tournament I could see his instincts, size, strength, hands and skill. Not at all surprised he is making a case for himself. The Oilers have a tough decision to make there because he has, on merit, probably earned himself a roster spot, but he will likely go through the inevitable adjustment period struggles at some stage, and the fact they can’t then send him down to the AHL is going to be a big issue. The right call for the player is probably to send him down to start with, although the team is probably itching to have him fill in. This one will be interesting to see.

How do you guys handicap the race on D at the moment?

Sekera
    Klefbom
    Fayne
    Schultz
    ——- these guys are set——–
    Nikitin
    Reinhart
    Gryba
    Ference
    ——–would this be your next 4?

Does losing Eberle change the 13F/8D plan at all?

Cheers,

NYCOIL

112. Gerta Rauss says:

I’m a big fan of Paajarvi but I don’t see any room on the roster for him, we’ve got enough bodies that have gone through camp and can fill in for injuries.

I’d be very surprised if the OIlers claimed him

113. Nostradumbass says:

David,

The problem is utilizing the pre-season results too strongly into your decision making process

Way to many false positives which if any organization should be aware of its the Oil

114. David says:

Nostradumbass:
    David,

The problem is utilizingthe pre-season results too strongly into your decision making process

The problem is that people just pick and choose what positives they want to “be definitive” and which positives they want to “be false positives”

McDavid’s strong play is definately the real deal.

Slepyshev’s strong play is because of weak preseason competition.

Draisaitl’s strong play is a clear step forward for him, he should make the team.

Slepyshev’s strong play is untrustworthy.

Lander’s strong play is a clear sign that his progress at the end of last season wasn’t a mirage.

Slepyshev…

115. book¡je says:

I have a selfish reason for wanting the Oilers to claim Pääjärvï.

Thinking that Pääjärvï was here long term, I made a bulk purchase of umlauts to use on this blog. My dog chewed up the box and now I have umlauts everywhere. The damn things are like glitter. I don’t want to throw them out (seems wasteful) but am only using a couple of them each month (usually in a rant about IKEA furniture)

So, I for one, an watching the wäïvër wïrë wïth äntïcïpätïön!

116. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Pick up Pajaarvi on waivers

Move Yakupov up to take his rightful place in Eberle’s spot

Track down Linus Omark, sign him

Pajaarvi/Lander/Omark third line

THE DREAM OF 2011 IS FULLFILLED

117. Nostradumbass says:

McDavid is special obviously but I don’t want either Leon or Slepyshev in the lineup to start

Nurse might be my favourite Oiler already but I was thrilled they assigned him today

The NHL is not kind a kind place for rookies

118. Wolfie says:

I have a soft spot for Lunar Lander… Cause he’s out of this world!!!!!…… (crickets)

Anywho, I am still waiting for Yak to get a push… And I would like to see a Hall-Lander-Yak line and see how that goes….

Still tons of options even though Eberle is gone for awhile.

119. JDï™ says:

book¡je: and now I have umlauts everywhere.

They get into everything, don’t they?

120. David says:

Nostradumbass:

The NHL is not kind a kind place for rookies

The NHL is not a kind place to bad hockey players. The age of players is too big of a story too often.

121. "Steve Smith" says:

David,

…right on the mouth.

122. cadooo says:

The definitive guide to hipsters(Not even a thing).

When I was in New York I happened to go to the book release based on that tumblr account(now defunct). The comedian behind it is Joe Mande.

“Wayne Gretzky chardonnay is not The Great Wine”

123. BONVIE says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Pick up Pajaarvi on waivers

Move Yakupov up to take his rightful place in Eberle’s spot

Track down Linus Omark, sign him

Pajaarvi/Lander/Omark third line

THE DREAM OF 2011 IS FULLFILLED

There have been many posts wanting Slepshev sent down because he is a rookie, but the fact is his play in his own end and in supporting the puck on the cycle and in his own end is light years ahead of Yakapov.

I hate seeing this many rookies being pressed into the lineup but I think Slepshev’s game is definitely way ahead of Yakapov’s, and he has a good chance of holding his own. In contrary I know what will happen if Yakapov plays on one of the top two lines, and that will be a plus/minus by season’s end in the range of -25 to -35. He is the Russian version of Patrick O’Sullivan.

124. MOAR WINZ PLEEZ says:

Real_Hockey_Fan:

125. spoiler says:

BONVIE,

Paajarvi is closer to POS in my opinion. I see no unwillingness to engage or initiate physically from Yak, which was POS’s issue. POS knew what he should do but didn’t have the physical courage to pull it off (or so it appeared).

Is Glencross not a viable solution to the RW injury problem? At least temporarily?

126. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

MOAR WINZ PLEEZ,

Sure! How could I contact you?

127. MOAR WINZ PLEEZ says:

Real_Hockey_Fan,

LMAO! Follow the sound of the laughter and look for the guy peeing his pants

128. David says:

BONVIE: The problem with moving Yakapov up to take Eberle’s spot is that line will be playing the other teams top D pair and top players. Yakapov is still at a junior level in positioning in his own zone supporting the puck in both ends, and winning puck battles.

Do you think that teams would put their top defenders against the Nuge line if Eberle is replaced with Yakupov? I would think they would want them out against Hall and McDavid.

129. dustrock says:

MOAR WINZ PLEEZ: I love it, very funny stuff! Reminds me a bit of Tom Hank The “helpful” critics are almost as funny…On a side note; I recently took a class on humour and would be happy to help you “funny it up” a bit, if you’re interested

Borat, is that you?

130. Real_Hockey_Fan says:

MOAR WINZ PLEEZ,

So I shouldn’t expect any humour lessons?? And thats supposed to be funny? 🙁

131. David says:

BONVIE:

I hate seeing this many rookies being pressed into the lineup but I think Slepshev’s game is definitely way ahead of Yakapov’s, and he has a good chance of holding his own. In contrary I know what will happen if Yakapov plays on one of the top two lines, and that will be a plus/minus by season’s endin the range of -25 to -35. He is the Russian version of Patrick O’Sullivan.

Yak is still years from his prime and he’s already shown flashes of his high level skill. I imagine over the course of this season he emerges as the player we all hoped he would be.

132. T0ML says:

Can someone explain to me why Anton Slepyshev cannot be sent down if he remains up? Some issue with coming over from the KHL? (Sorry if I missed this in a previous thread)

133. RexLibris says:

Real_Hockey_Fan:
    MOAR WINZ PLEEZ,

So I shouldn’t expect any humour lessons?? And thats supposed to be funny?

That was probably the first lesson.

134. MOAR WINZ PLEEZ says:

Real_Hockey_Fan,

lesson #1; walk the line between serious and funny, keep them guessing.

135. Centre of attention says:

Looks like Nilsson won’t have to clear waivers if the Oilers decide to send him down. Article up on the Nation about it.

Guess that decides that.

136. bendelson says:

Real_Hockey_Fan,

Forget about MWP.
    Ask Steve Smith for a copy of his previously mentioned ‘rules of comedy’ and you should be more than good to go. Just do me a personal favour and ignore the ‘Bendelson clause’ – it’s a real son-of-a-bitch.

137. dessert1111 says:

With Eberle’s injury, there are only 13 forwards, so I’m not sure about the Slepyshev debate. Seems like he’s a no brainer to stay at this point unless Purcell plays next game or they pick someone off waivers, and even then there’s a good chance he stays.

With Nurse sent down by himself it looks more like trading Nikitin or another D will happen before the season.

138. AsiaOil says:

Yak and Shultz for an dman would be a very nice trade if the right guy is involved (Larsson?) I like Yak a lot – but Slepy could make him redundant – and at this point I’d rather trade him a bit too soon rather than too late. Not until eberle is back though.

Got a feeling this year will see a serious in-season trade…..

139. McSorley33 says:

The genuine love for MPS ( in general ) is what make this place very, very, very unique…

140. David says:

AsiaOil:

Got a feeling this year will see a serious in-season trade…..

Not sure what your opinion on keeping Slepyshev is so I’m not picking a fight. It’s just that your comment reminded me how ridiculous it is that some people, sometimes in the same breath, say that: Slepyshev’s strong play in preseason is meaningless, it’s just preseason against AHL rosters and then: Slepyshev’s strong play in preseason makes Yakupov expendable.

Either the opinion of Yak around here is mud or it’s like I’ve been saying: this flip flopping regarding preseason performance is crazy.

141. David says:

To state my point more clearly, if Slepyshev’s play in preseason is enough to write off Yakupov, it is enough to make the team.

142. RexLibris says:

MOAR WINZ PLEEZ:
    Real_Hockey_Fan,

lesson #1; walk the line between serious and funny, keep them guessing.

That’s the Glenn Healy factor, right?

Or is that “walk the line between serious and absurd”?

143. RexLibris says:

McSorley33:
    The genuinelove for MPS ( in general ) is what make this place very, very, very unique…

Sure, let’s go with that.

And avoid the minefield of undiagnosed neuroses that populate this “colourful” community! 🙂

MPS isn’t a world beater, but Hitchcock cutting him isn’t a death knell for his ability.

Hitchcock purposefully employed Ott and Reaves all year, including regular shifts in the playoffs.

They are two of the statistically worst players in the NHL but Hitch keeps sending them over the boards and then wonders why his bottom 6 gets outscored.

He’s employing them again this year.

Add to this Fabri looking very good and probably getting a spot and there’s no room at the Inn.

145. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention:

Guess that decides that.

But there’s not a chance that Scrivens gets claimed on waivers with his cap hit and the past season’s performance still fresh in the minds of league execs.

Add to that, Nilsson’s quote from when he was in the Islander org, where he said he has no desire to play in the AHL for a fourth year. So really, there’s more risk to sending him down than Scrivens, if he can refuse to report and get a contract in Europe.

And to back that up, if Scrivens does get claimed, I’ll give RHF a free spit-take lesson.

Edit: Apparently Gregor says Nils doesn’t have a way of opting out to go to Europe. I still say pick the better one, and waivers be damned if it’s Scrivens being demoted.

146. Doug McLachlan says:

Not sure that Nilsson’s waiver exempt status changes the calculation that much. If Scrivens was a dyed in the wool, veteran back-up maybe but at the end of the day, of the options under contract with the Oilers, the choice will be between prospective 1B’s to Talbot’s 1A.

If Scrivens is picked up by TB or others as he passes through waivers – fantastic, it frees up cap room. If not, but it sparks a phone call or two from GMs asking about a retained salary trade, fine too.

We aren’t talking about a great deal of value, I suspect.

147. MOAR WINZ PLEEZ says:

RexLibris,

good point… I never actually thought of him as funny before, i think i can appreciate his talent in a new light now. thank you!

148. Doug McLachlan says:

I’d love the idea of claiming MPS, even though I know it won’t happen with the Oilers.

At only $700K his contract was designed to be catch the attention of other GMs because if you do waive him to the AHL his 1-way deal doesn’t impact the cap.

149. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:

He’s employing them again this year.

If the Oilers didn’t have Korpikoski and Letestu, Paajarvi might make sense.

As it is, I’m not sure they have room on the roster for a bubble defensive winger unless we can send off Gazdic.

A 4th line rotation of Hendricks, Letestu, Korpikoski and Paajarvi looks nice by eye, but how functional would it be?

150. RexLibris says:

MOAR WINZ PLEEZ:
    RexLibris,

good point… I never actually thought of him as funny before, i think i can appreciate his talent in a new light now.thank you!

When you realize you are allowed to laugh at people in the public eye, you find humour abounds!

151. commonfan14 says:

Doug McLachlan: Given his age, RFA status next year, a Chia acquisition and, oh right, a blank sheet in pre-season play – Nilsson is the goalie who stays up.

152. JDï™ says:

RexLibris: you find humour abounds!

Everybody funny – now you funny too!

153. MOAR WINZ PLEEZ says:

JDï™,

please use funny responsibly

154. RexLibris says:

Don’t deride and drive.

155. RexLibris says:

This has been going around the last while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7awYGJTzE

156. RexLibris says:

commonfan14: I have a feeling that “the rights to Liam Coughlin” is going to become a meme around here by Christmas.

Maybe that was the “future considerations” part of the Labarbera trade?

And I’m personally fond of the Liam “Turn-Your-Head-And-Coughlin” phrase.

157. B S says:

I hate to be Debbie downer, but if we’re comparing Scrivens and Nilsson, it’s worth noting that Nilsson has bee playing much less impressive talent. Against the same talent as Nilsson (Phoenix’ AHL squad), Scrivens has posted the same numbers. If I’m GM (and thankfully someone much better than me is) I don’t dump Scrivens (or Nilsson if I can help it) until I’ve seen them play real NHL teams. Zeros and 100%s against teams the Condors could basically beat most any night, doesn’t convince me of anyone’s ability.

I’m guaranteed to be in the minority here (especially since it was a shutout win), but I was not impressed last night. We basically put our NHL squad up against Arizona’s AHL/Junior players and couldn’t break them down for 35 minutes. I was having flashbacks to the Preseason game against Dallas last year.

Then again preseason is about getting the kinks out, and this year we have our roster mostly set and playing together with 2 games left. The team has been covering the passing lanes and backchecking far more and far better this season and I’m much happier about TC overall than last season.

158. Really? says:

If I am not mistaken, PRV played at a fairly high level as a D man. He was then “converted” to a forward. Given his natural tendencies to play defensively, his limited man? While he amy not be a Bret Burns, he may be effective. Any thoughts?