HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I’ll have something up on last night’s game later this morning, but wanted to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving. It’s very windy here, rain pouring down and I don’t think we’ll be out and about much today if things continue this way. I think we have everything but Mrs. Lowetide may have forgotten something and I’m the runner (she’s the cook) so will keep an umbrella and slicker handy.

ziggy1

Ziggy is four now, she’s no longer a puppy but dogs this size just keep going all damned day. She keeps us connected as a family and brings tons of joy. He favorite treat? Pizzle. I’m not sure why, and we curse the day we bought the first package, but for Ziggy the grossest item that smells the worst is the only thing that will do. Good grief. I had a long talk to Ziggy yesterday morning, and she says we should give Todd McLellan time and that he’s using this early season road trip as an indicator to the team about just how far there is to go—and telling some others it’s time to go. Smart dog, or maybe she’s just saying what I want to hear.

ICE CONDOR

(this is a Condor, not a turkey)

My son is taking Computer programming at NAIT, it’s a tough course (I’m no help) but they tell me he will be able to find a tech job when all is complete and he seems content with the idea. I think his plan is to pursue his game design outside of his 9-5 and that seems reasonable (that’s kind of what I did, without knowing it). He’s also mentioned engineering, I’d be thrilled if he decided to do it and he certainly has that kind of brain. We’ll see, I’m pleased he’s finding his own road.

My daughter got a job in a shoe store. I’m pleased she’s working and this is what she wants now, it’ll be interesting to see if her artistic side (I’d show you some of her work but she won’t let me, very talented) calls at some point. She’s very smart, so if you’re at a ladies shoe store and being helped by a young lady who appears to be new, be kind. I wanted to go over and make sure everyone was being nice to her, but Mrs. Lowetide said I shouldn’t do that, so I won’t. But I should.

Speaking of, Mrs. Lowetide is really mad at the Oilers. She was saying things like “they OWE it to the fans!” and “they STILL haven’t scored a goal!” last night, I think my years of ranting may have sent the poor girl around the bend. We’re fine though, life is good and we’re back to a fall routine and that suits us fine. To borrow line from the Pips, she’s the best thing that ever happened to me.

For me, life is good. I’m in a good place with the radio career, the blog is rolling and I’m enjoying the combination of radio and writing. I also find there’s a little more time to do things outside the career than a year ago and am thankful for that, too.

I hope this morning finds you blessed and where you want to be, with the people you value. That’s all that really matters. Stay warm, eat turkey, and don’t worry, this Oilers team will figure it out. More on that in an hour or so. God bless, and thanks for dropping in this morning.

37 Responses to "HAPPY THANKSGIVING!"

1. Eastern Oil says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well LT, and to others in the LTosphere.

Headed to a pumpkin patch with my wife and 16 month old on a beautiful day (in Ontario). Have a great weekend and thank you for everything you do.

2. SwedishPoster says:

We don’t do thanksgiving in the Sweden, we do however say thank you, or tack, a lot(seriously, a LOT) so I’ll say thanks for this glorious blog with it’s varied, weird and nerdy bunch of followers. A blog that truly elevates my Oiler experience. So thanks LT. And thanks fellow commenters!

3. oliveoilers says:

Happy Thanksgiving from a Brit that finds the whole thing a little perplexing.

We don’t have Thanksgiving in the UK, more like a Harvest Festival in some more rural areas.

Interestingly, yesterday I was doing a few wiring jobs for a neighbour, I was told I must be wrong and we probably do have it and I don’t know about it.

Reminds me of a time the local JW leader (a very formidable lady) here in Peace asked me where I was from. I said England (my accent is like David Beckham’s if he didn’t huff helium all the time). To which she informed me I was wrong and probably Irish and didn’t know it.

Small sample size, but I’m picking up a trend here.

I get called Australian a lot.

Anyhoo, after the most glorious fall day yesterday, I left my tools in the box of the truck. I awoke to the staccato sound of heavy rain at about two. Remembering the tools left out, I said “eff it” and went back to sleep. Guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow.

But for today, it’s roast turkey, roast potatoes with beets, sweet potato, pumpkin pie and endless cups of tea until it’s time to have a cheeky beer or two.

So, Happy Thanksgiving from me and mine to you and yours.

4. GB&Q says:

Thank you, LT!
    And all the best to all the members of our beloved Oilogosphere, both human and canine. (And other).
    May your long weekend be filled with friendly faces and delicious treats (even the stinky ones).

Olive: I once told an English woman she had a lovely accent, to which she replied “dear, YOU are the one with the accent!” 🙂

6. Bar_Qu says:

Currently reading an interesting little pop pyschology book & one thing stuck out last night. It was talking about crowd pyschology & how easy it is for a crowd to go to the dark side when they are anonymous – making the internet the awful place that it is so often. However, if a crowd is given good guidance, then it becomes something positive & beneficial, with all the members emulating that. Long story short, LT, it is your guidance & occasional reminders to be better than our darker selves which have made this a challenging, thoughtful and civil place to be. Thanks.

Enjoy your turkey today (or ham, or pierogy, or chinese take-out – seriously, why is that stuff so good?) everyone.

7. JDï™ says:

LT, you’re the best.

A pretty good rock doc I just found on YT, about Deep Purple’s making of Made in Japan:

Lots of great backstage and live footage.

8. oliveoilers says:

That’s right! To any English person anywhere, it’s not quite an arrogance, but it’s definitely an in-built confidence of the highest order that we indeed do not have an accent.

9. oliveoilers says:

Bar_Qu: chinese take-out – seriously, why is that stuff so good?

Madison Square Garden? (MSG)

10. hags9k says:

Thanks LT. Happy Thanksgiving all. We have been expecting that wind and wet to reach us in north central Sask. Beautiful calm morning here right now to be thankful for.

11. The Trade Guy says:

Its a bit windy but sunny in Saskatoon. Yesterday’s 27 above was magnificent.

12. dustrock says:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Yes the original holiday is suspect to say the least, but having a specific time when we gather with family and friends and reflect on what we’re thankful for is a good thing.

Thanks for all your hard work LT and everyone (well, almost everyone) for producing some amazing hockey conversation and entertaining tangents.

13. Snowman says:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I had my Turkey dinner yesterday so today is a recovery and leftovers kind of day around here which is perfect. Lots to be grateful for in my life this year. Seems every year I’ve been lucky to have more than my share to be grateful about.

Thanks to Lowetide for this wonderful blog. I spend more time here than anywhere else on all the other interwebs. It’s a wonderful place.

14. nelson88 says:

Great stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving to LT and everyone on the blog and their families.

15. Hockey Buddha says:

I’m similarly resigned to a stance of patience with the team. I have a much greater appreciation for the difficulty of winning games in the league now, and I understand more fully what a great accomplishment it actually is to have success. Watching our young players becoming men who will some day dominate in the league is a pleasurable activity in itself. I think that is something I missed entirely the first time around with that phenomenal 80’s Oiler team, who made it look so very easy.

We still have a steep climb ahead to get out of this, but get out of it we will! I am convinced of that.

Happy Thanksgiving!

16. Shane says:

I am thankful for this blog. This is only my second or third time writing a comment but I’ve been reading every single day since 2009. It goes to show how many people are effected by such a wonderful online community, even many of us that don’t comment and are just lurkers. I really feel like I’ve been educated thoroughly about the game(at least as observers) by not only LT. but by all the great commenters and smart people here. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

17. J-Bo says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all and thank-you LT for pouring your heart and mind into this blog! May God bless you and yours as well!

Here is one of my all time favorite songs. Good advice for the Oilers and us fans as the season begins with a couple losses: https://youtu.be/iAE9Le_Hiy8

Have an awesome day full of thanks!! Cheers!

18. böök¡je says:

I generally go by the rule that the accent that pronounces the most letters in the word is the one that has the least accent. By that measure General American English wins.

19. böök¡je says:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I know that Thanksgiving technically is tomorrow (it’s not like Easter where the Holiday is Sunday but the day off is Monday). However, many people are eating their Turkey today (including my family) so… Happy Thanksgiving.

20. wheatnoil says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family LT as well as all the posters here.

21. G Money says:

Happy Thanksgiving All!

22. BasketKate says:

Permanent lurker here….moved to comment by the great Gourd of Thanksgiving. Thanks be for the best Oilers comment thread and best Oilers blog around!

LT: is it alright if I adopt you as my online Dad? Um…there’s actually an opening in the offline world too but …I didn’t want this to get too weird…and, uh…too late? Damn it. 😉

23. oliveoilers says:

böök¡je: I generally go by the rule that the accent that pronounces the most letters in the word is the one that has the least accent.By that measure General American English wins.

Even if the letters are pronounced incorrectly? Such as a hard ‘T’ replaced with a soft ‘d’ as in water/wauder?

24. Professor Q says:

Happy Thanksgiving Sunday to Mr. Lowetide, family, and all of you folks here, too.

A fabulous day to be alive. I hope you are well.

Tomorrow is my birthday so another special Thanksgiving Monday. 🙂

BasketKate:

LT: is it alright if I adopt you as my online Dad? Um…there’s actually an opening in the offline world too but …I didn’t want this to get too weird…and, uh…too late? Damn it. ?

All are welcome here! 🙂 If you’re coming for thanksgiving dinner, we’ll set a plate. KNOW THIS! Mrs Lowetide makes a great turkey dinner and you may not be able to move.

26. geowal says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all lowetideians , here’s hoping the Jays can help me forget the oil early challenges.
    Not making the 8 hour drive to the farm today, so doubt there’s Turkey on the menu but all is well for the weekend.

27. BasketKate says:

Duly noted. 😀

28. böök¡je says:

oliveoilers: Even if the letters are pronounced incorrectly?Such as a hard ‘T’ replaced with a soft ‘d’ as in water/wauder?

Well, that’s still better than the British wha-ah

29. Johnny Larue says:

Happy Thanksgiving all

30. oliveoilers says:

böök¡je: Well, that’s still better than the British wha-ah

Just for you, Bookie me old china plate!

31. böök¡je says:

oliveoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz9_YfIQaz4

Just for you, Bookie me old china plate!

That’s pretty funny!

32. Melman says:

Happy Thanksgiving LT, thanks for the many hours of good reads and fun conversations.

Be careful with the pizzles- most are made with formaldehyde which is terrible long term for little Ziggy (we switched our pup to good old butcher bones, which are cheaper to boot).

33. Rocknrolla says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all who come here, it’s an amazing thing you have built LT.

Stay close to family today, and if they are not close please call them and let them know you miss them.

34. PaperDesigner says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Lowetide, and to everyone who frequents the comments. May it be a weekend stuffed to the brim with Turkey and very mild familial consternation.

35. Clay says:

Cheers Mr. Mitchell, all the best to you and yours.

If there were any justice in this world, you would find an envelope from the Oilers organization in the mail with a lifetime’s supply of season’s tickets. God knows it’s the least they could do for the work you’ve done in keeping the rational fan engaged for the past decade!

36. DawnM says:

Haha Olive. Nice reverse pygmalion.

What I most appreciate about Thanksgiving is it has largely escaped the nasty commercialism of many other days of note. We just get together and have good food, good fun with family, and probably a really good scotch or two. Fun times!

Have a great day all!

And btw, I for one am still filled to the brim with happy optimism for our beloved team, challenging (and predictable) season start not withstanding.