NO TIME TO THINK!

Todd McLellan wasn’t pleased with the performance of his team last night, and that’s a good thing. He didn’t name the culprits (although did give a number) and that’s also a good thing.

The Al Gore named lots of candidate in the aftermath of last night’s game, and for me there’s very little value in hammering each other all day over the five names. Seriously. If you watched the game, you have your opinion and are welcome to share. There are more important opinions than mine to discuss this morning.

• Todd McLellan: “I’ve been disappointed in our team this year, the Dallas game in particular but tonight I was more disappointed in individuals. We’re a good team but we can’t afford to have four or five guys not with us. We had guys who played 18 minutes who didn’t get a shot or a hit. Pretty poor individual line.” Source

McLellan is fabulous. I’ve been reading Oilers coaches and management call out players by name for years, from Lubo to Devan and frankly I’m sick of it. Good for McLellan to hold back on this night. Refrain from name calling in public at night, napalm in private this morning.

OILERS D LAST NIGHT, IN A BOX

oilers d oc 23

This is pretty much the way I saw the game. For me, the Sekera—Fayne combination was fairly effective, especially if you include special teams time. Your mileage may vary.

Oscar Klefbom had an ‘also in photo’ night on a few plays, including the weird goal mouth pass that went off a Cap and an Oiler before going in—that made it 3-2 and was a very difficult moment for the Oilers to overcome. You could also fault him for the Justin Williams goal but I think an under control Anders Nilsson has that shot and Klefbom was in fact where he should have been (but didn’t execute). Either way, not his best evening but I’m certainly prepared to defend him today as one of the two best defenders on the roster.

Eric Gryba played the most EV minutes last night and he’s trending that way, folks. I think Todd McLellan likes the big man and suspect we may see a pairing shift in the coming days (if the struggles continue). Last night, at evens, Gryba’s partners were:

• Ference 10:44, 6-15 Corsi
  • Klefbom 3:52, 5-2 Corsi
  • Fayne 1:58, 4-3 Corsi
  • Schultz 1:08, 1-1 Corsi events
  • Sekera: 34 seconds, 2-1 Corsi events

I’ve said for some time that (for me) Klefbom needs another partner. I was (am) hoping it would be Andrej Sekera, but it’s also possible we see a Klefbom—Gryba pairing in the coming days.

MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE FARM

Darnell Nurse is five games (0-1-1) into his AHL season and you can’t convince me the six men on the ice last night at Rexall are ALL better than him. I understand there’s a development timeline and the Oilers are going to adhere to it, but Nurse isn’t 18 and he isn’t 19. Is he exactly what the Oilers need? Hell no, they need much more. That said, I believe Nurse can help. They should call him up. Today.

CHIARELLI’S MOVE

McLellan can express disappointment, he can hold meetings, he can give the stink eye to the PR guy and he can kick the vending machine in the hall. He can do all manner of things, but he can’t make this six good enough to compete against a good-to-great NHL team. This is us. Peter Chiarelli needs to make a trade and bring in more capable defensemen and until he does we’re going to have more nights like this one than the fanbase deserves.

I’m encouraged by McLellan not calling out his players by name and am hopeful we see a roster move in the coming days. Without one, we may not see this team look capable until the Calgary game.

153 Responses to "NO TIME TO THINK!"

1. Yeti says:

But what’s he got to trade, LT? The roster is made up of untouchables and players no other team would touch. Nurse or Drai would get you something nice but they are unlikely to be on the table and there’s no other prospects that would get you anything substantial back. Picks? Or are you looking to move a substantial piece off the roster?
    I like the idea of an upgrade, but I’m just not sure what is going to be traded right now from a position of weakness that will get significant help for the blue.
    So what’s in play?

2. flyfish1168 says:

Was a very difficult game to watch last night. Our players wasn’t ready to compete with the better teams in the league. We need some D Men and not seniors or boys back there.

Yeti:
    So what’s in play?

Chiarelli, in his first year, traded to upgrade and did most of his business at the deadline:

June 26, 2006: Bruins trade D Nick Boynton and a fourth-round pick to Phoenix for Paul Mara and a third-round pick. Gorton from the Bruins side: “The trade enabled us to get somebody who is more offensive and more capable on the power play. I think it will blend well with what we already have and we are looking forward to Paul coming here and wanting to be a part of the turnaround.” Source
    July 1, 2006: Bruins sign D Zdeno Chara. A franchise altering transaction.
    February 10, 2007: Bruins trade D Brad Stuart and F Wayne Primeau to the Calgary Flames for D Andrew Ference and F Chuck Kobasew. Chiarelli: “It became evident that when I wasn’t having success signing Brad that I was going to have to trade Brad. Part of what we have to do is preserve the assets of players that are unrestricted. Chuck is 24 and Andrew is 27. They add some youth and energy, which we want to add to this team.”
    February 27, 2007: Bruins trade D Paul Mara to the NY Rangers for D Aaron Ward.
    February 27, 2007: Bruins trade D Brad Boyes to St. Louis for D Dennis Wideman.
    Chiarelli on the February trades: “Part of the rationale in the [Brad Stuart] deal and these two deals was to have players who can help us now, in the short term and the mid term. I feel we have the depth, both in unsigned draft choices and in Providence. For example, David Krejci came up, and game to game, he played better. So that’s just the glimpse of the depth we have.”

4. Water Fire says:

Eberle’s injury might be holding things up for a trade. There is also the distinct possibility nobody is available worth getting on D better than the three righties, which is what’s missing IMO.

Schultz is a third pair until he can do it on a nightly basis the right way. My take is that never happens, players get better but not in that their game becomes fundamentally different, at least very often, and that’s what his needs.

I also think his build causes him issues in that he’ll never be strong, and doesn’t defend positionally or with his stick that well, and he doesn’t have the elite offense at the NHL level to overlook it.

We also have that the top 6 holds for sure Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, Reinhart. Gryba seems to be working his way in, Schultz his way out. If they do pick up a vet RHD better than they which is the big hole, have need a low cost third pairing. Fayne and Schultz would have to move.

5. verdad2.0 says:

Constructive post
    But I’ve been saying since Chiarellli was hired he needs to fix the defense which he refuses to do.
    It is evident that MacTavish still has unreasonable influence on this team. Can there be any other explanation why Schultz and Ference play? There can be none. Playing them is all about self-justification. Chiarelli proving to be spineless.
    Buyouts should have been used. Schultz never signed. Every time I see Franson contributing for Buffalo I cringe.
    All this belies this organization unwillingness to win.
    The assets are obvioulsy there to win. No one can’t tell me that sending off Hall and Yakupov to Columbus would return some functional defensemen that improve the Oilers. Not OEL, but that is another story of inaction on the part of Chiarelli.

It is just fundamentally insulting to the fans of Edmonton to watch a game last night.
    Washington was playing the third in four nights. This is a team that has losing bred in its bones and the Oilers can’t rise to the occasion.

One other question to ponder – why did the Oilers not sign Justin Williams, are we gaining anything really from Yakupov? Last night was a reversion to the mean for him. Whereas Williams like in LA is all world. Inexplicable.

6. Seymore says:

I would hope after this game, Ference has his butt stapled to the pressbox for the rest of the year. 2 of his penalties resulted in powerplay goals against and he was just bad most of the night. The coaches even addressed the issue before the game about taking penalties. How frustrating. The game may have been saved if the Nilsen was pulled after the third goal against. Seems to be a thing (not knowing when to pull a goalie who is struggling) for anyone coaching the Oilers.

7. oliveoilers says:

TMac is nobody’s mama, but he did say there’s be some painful nights.

8. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Sorry, LT. I just can’t agree with you on your Nurse stance. They are doing what’s best for the long-term development of the player, thus what’s best for the long-term future of the team. The Oilers decided the playoffs weren’t a goal this year when they decided to have Ference and Nikitin (some would argue Gryba, too) as part of the D corps this year.

Given the verbal last year and his “9 games” look, MacT likely would have had Nurse in his opening lineup this year.

We have complained for years about the Oilers rushing their kids. Yes, he is 20, but so what. If 40 games in the AHL is what is best for him then so be it.

The shortcomings on the D with the big club should have been addressed in the summer, and may be addressed still via trade, potentially. But if they reverse course on their plans for Nurse and recall him now I will lose respect for the new managers. I don’t for a second believe this will happen and think Chiarelli does not agree with your viewpoint.

Fuck you, Bookije!

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Fuck you, Bookije!

Why be sorry? We can disagree. 🙂 Everything I’ve read about Nurse in the AHL is that he’s absolutely the best defenseman on the farm. At 20. He showed last spring in the AHL playoffs he was a capable defenseman. I believe this is a new policy that caught a perfectly useful young NHL-ready D in its snare.

Peter Chiarelli owes it to the fans to ice the best possible team. Darnell Nurse is better than what I saw from at least two defensemen last night. I’m sincere in my belief that is true.

No need to be sorry, though. You did nothing wrong.

10. verdad2.0 says:

Nurse is rotting in Bakersfield.
    The Oiler fans are abused night after night by having Schultz and Ference play.
    Nurse should be playing.
    It is simply perverse on the part of Chiarelli and MacTavish to keep him in the AHL while games are lost with players who cannot fundamentally play their position.
    This is beyond debate.

Plus Draisatl could not do worse than Purcell , Korpikoski or Gadzic. Another example of obstinacy for no purpose.

11. Younger Oil says:

To be fair, there wasn’t more than one or two goals with Nilsson that game where I thought “Man, he should have had that”. Lots of weird breakaways and deflections, and high quality scoring chances, mostly due to poor defending.

Statistically, he should have stopped a few of the ones that went in, but statistics don’t work that way. He has been lights out with high quality chances in the first two games, and was below average this game.

Still agree he should have been pulled a goal or two earlier, but I don’t think that would have won us the game.

Having said that, pulling your goalie after Justin Schultz royally fucks up a pop fly or takes away the goalie’s stick really sends the wrong message, so I respect McLellan for waiting that long.

12. Water Fire says:

There are pieces to trade. The team would be far better off with a vet RHD than many of the forwards. My keepers are Hall, Drai, Nuge. That McDavid guy needs to show he can do it THE HOLE YEAR, EVRY GAME!

It would be great to keep them all, but it will be years before they grow a saw off top pair D. This team can go far now with a few tweaks. A loss in one area can still make the team better overall, and it is far easier to sign and acquire vet wingers and goalies than any other position in the markets, and the prospect pool is deep at the moment for potential wingers.

Getting another first pairing guy (even simply a competent one) also builds in a succession plan to sustain a quality D corp over the upcoming 15 years of utter dominance. It’s important to keep expectations reasonable.

13. Dicky94 says:

Bringing up Nurse will not harm his development. The coaching staff is well experienced with these situations. If anything it will help him to be around Todd and co. If it was Dallas Eakins coaching, then yes stay in the minors.

14. oliveoilers says:

I think the term “I’m sorry” when used in the context of politely disagreeing stems more from formal Georgian/Victorian speech then to indicate contriteness.

Over the years, the evolution of language has lost a lot of the florid touches. We no longer say “if you please” we just say “please”, though the French still say SVP.

The “I’m sorry, but”, when used thus, denotes respect for the view being disagreed with and the person who holds that view rather than “I’m sorry you’re a Flames fan.”

Sorry LT, just had to interject!

Without one, we may not see this team look capable until the Calgary game.

LAK at home and they’re humming now that their SH% is catching up a bit. Have dominated possession since day 1.

MIN in MIN and they’re middle of the pack CF% wise buy getting good goal tending and almost 9%SH 5v5

MTL at home and they haven’t lost in regulation.

Yeeeeeeeeesssssh.

Oiler fans may be on the ledge again by this time next week unless a goalie steals a game.

16. Ryan says:

We have 8 dmen already on the roster.

Even if you waive Davidson, then where do you play Reinhart?

oliveoilers:

Over the years, the evolution of language has lost a lot of the florid touches.We no longer say “if you please” we just say “please”, though the French still say SVP.

Sorry LT, just had to interject!

You can stuff your sorries in a sock, mister!!! 🙂

18. Pouzar says:

Nurse in the NHL would be following the same development path as Alex Pietrangelo.
    He is sawing off the top competition in the AHL as far as +- goes. To my eye he is dominating possession but his puck moving skills aren’t translating to points in the “A” which is not surprising to me. I will be watching the game tonight. I am not sure what the plan is for Nurse but if he’s not up before Xmas I would be shocked.

19. flyfish1168 says:

I believe even bring up Nurse will only help minimally. We need probably 2 players that can play the right D competently. Hopefully one wit ha major league slap shot that can run the PP.

20. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: Why be sorry? We can disagree.

No need to be sorry, though. You did nothing wrong.

This is true. It’s always Bookije’s fault.

Ryan:

We have 8 dmen already on the roster.

Even if you waive Davidson, then where do you play Reinhart?

You can send Davidson down, IR Reinhart and make a trade. All of these things are possible. The Oilers have eight defensemen on the roster, but in real terms it’s more like five.

Straight up 5v5 CF% in the NHL as of this morning;

NYI 50.9
    L.A 50.4
    VAN 50.4
    DET 50.4
    CBJ 50.3
    ANA 49.9
    EDM 49.9 – Bad goalies and low SH% get coaches fired.
    N.J 49.7
    PHI 49.7
    CAR 49.5
    WPG 49.2
    ARI 49.1
    DAL 47.9
    TOR 47.5
    COL 45
    S.J 44.8
    OTT 44.1
    CGY 42.7
    BUF 36.8

Yeti:
    So what’s in play?

I think the D is so putrid that DrySaddle might be in play for a real 1RD.

I also don’t think a move of that magnitude happens until next summer.

24. Water Fire says:

They will clear some bodies before Nurse arrives likely. I also agree Nurse is a better option on the third pair, I’m not so sure he helps above that right now. Alex P is not the same player, more cerebral, Nurse more physical, I’m not sure they compare directly.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Was STL wrong to start Pietrangelo in the NHL in his draft +3 year then?

By most metrics Nurse’s last two development years were very similar to Pietrangelo’s.

Curious as to where your line in the sand on development is.

Pouzar:
    He is sawing off the top competition in the AHL as far as +- goes. To my eye he is dominating possession but his puck moving skills aren’ttranslating to points in the “A” which is not surprising to me. I will be watching the game tonight. I am not sure what the plan is for Nurse but if he’s not up before Xmas I would be shocked.

Dammint you were quicker than me!!

27. Water Fire says:

Woodguy: I think the D is so putrid that DrySaddle might be in play for a real 1RD.

I also don’t think a move of that magnitude happens until next summer.

RE: I’m sorry.

I always read “I’m sorry” when written in this way as short for:

“I’m sorry your mom dropped you on your head as a baby and fed you lead paint. Here is why you’re wrong jackass”

Maybe its just me?

Water Fire: I wonder if it’s Nuge. Having Drai at centre in Cali means they are either shooting for 3 scoring lines, putting Lander as the 4th C or at wing or trading, or that they want a heavier look at centre with McD having size. I certainly hope it’s the former.

RNH is best C on the team and its not close right now.

He’s been checking the best of the best for 4 years now and he’s only turns 23 in April.

He’s Bergeron.

There are two untouchables on this team imo. McDavid and RNH.

Water Fire:

31. Water Fire says:

Woodguy: RNH is best C on the team and its not close right now.

He’s Bergeron with more offence.

There are two untouchables on this team imo. McDavid and RNH.

Yes for sure. I wonder if that’s how Chia and McL see it was what I was after. Nuge is untouchable to me as I posted up in the thread.

As for the Corsi gloom, the Oilers are 26th S/GP and 23rd SA/GP, with a new system and everything else. I have no doubt they will start moving up the rankings as things get more routine for the players and McL tweaks his system for the roster. Of course real change comes with a better D corp, but that isn’t a short term fix.

32. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,
    You sir, are correct. Nuge is our Selke candidate in a few years.

33. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: There are two untouchables on this team imo. McDavid and RNH.

I’m sorry, but the two untouchables on this team are McDavid and Yakupov.

34. Pouzar says:

hunter1909: I’m sorry, but the two untouchables on this team are McDavid and Yakupov.

Did you just type that with a straight face?

35. hunter1909 says:

Schultz’s muffin from the point is particularly effective.

For the PK.

36. Water Fire says:

Woodguy: Here’s a very good analysis of Nurse by Blue Bullet: http://bluebulletreport.com/2015/07/16/hello-nurse/comment-page-1/

It’s good. I know how good Nurse is, but his strengths aren’t what the team needs, and his weaknesses lay where they are weak. His player comparables are for offense, and there is quite a range in style of players there, quite a few are weaker defensively.

Nurse dominates with speed and strength, like Klef, and struggles with the strategic part, like Klef as a young guy, at times against NHL comp. The comment about him skating into funnels was key to me, Karlsson and players like him who hit it really early have that vision in place already.

Nurse will get there, I’m not sure his is right now, and so maybe he’s not as much of a help as some feel this early in the year.

37. böök¡je says:

Woodguy:
    RE: I’m sorry.

I always read “I’m sorry” when written in this way as short for:

“I’m sorry your mom dropped you on your head as a baby and fed you lead paint.Here is why you’re wrong jackass”

Maybe its just me?

I’m sorry [that you are so fucking incompetent at navigating your body that you were unable to avoid bumping me]
    Etc.

38. stephen sheps says:

böök¡je: THAT is the definition of the Canadian sorry – it’s something Anericans are unaware of and they mistake us for being polite.

Etc.

quoted for truth (now that I have first-hand experience using the Canadian sorry as often as I do down here in the south)

Woodguy:
    RNH is best C on the team and its not close right now.

He’s Bergeron.

There are two untouchables on this team imo. McDavid and RNH.

Nuge is incredible. Even having an off-night last night, not to mention taking a skate to the ear, he was still wonderful. And that goal he scored was world class.

39. hunter1909 says:

Pouzar: Did you just type that with a straight face?

No. Although it’s arguable that McDavid’s new star winger in a two player universe can take precedence.

At this point of the season, every game is an adventure.

40. Water Fire says:

hunter1909:
    Schultz’s muffin from the point is particularly effective.

For the PK.

As a comedian in all seriousness, what kills Schultz is he has a poor shot and is a sloppy passer. I saw a highlight of Klingberg score a snap shot recently, he’s a very light player, ripped it top corner, off the opposite leg, Messier style. I have never seen Schultz do that, beat a goalie clean with a goal scorer’s trick rocket.

41. SoCaloil says:

I didn’t understand the logic of starting Nillson last night. Your 1G needs to carry the load
    wsh has the best roster they’ve had in a while. I project a deep playoff push

42. Water Fire says:

SoCaloil:
    wsh has the best roster they’ve had in a while. I project a deep playoff push

43. Frank the dog says:

What is the protocol on drug testing in the NHL? Is it mandatory, random, or just promise not to inhale or get caught with possession?

Water Fire,

I disagree.

The biggest problem with the Oilers D are:

1) Too slow to keep up to NHL forwards (everyone but Sekera, Klef, Jultz)
    2) Can’t break a cycle and get possession (except Sekera and Klef, edit: Gryba to some extent)
    3) Can’t make the first pass to exit the dzone (this varies but again Sekera and Klef are best)

Nurse:

1) Is faster than all the Oiler Dmen
    2) Is very physical and can break the cycle
    3) I don’t know enough about his passing to comment, but he skates the puck out of danger very nicely.

I think Nurse’s best attributes are exactly what the team is lacking on D.

He’s a rookie and will have rookie moments, but he might be the 4th or 5th best Dman in the org right now.

If he comes up, he’s not being “rushed”

I understand Oiler fans being allergic to rushing kids to the NHL, but Nurse’s development path has been very “by the book” and all his main comps were full time NHLers in their draft +3 years.

He’s not being rushed if he plays tomorrow vs the Kings.

EDIT: I didn’t include Reinhart in this because its early days, but there is lots to like about him. Just needs rocket skates, because he’s not fast.

Water Fire: It might be about managing games played for him this year and realizing it not a likely win either way. Teams like the Caps will be hard for the Oilers until the the neutral zone goes a lot better for them.

I see it the opposite way.

WAS was on a scheduled loss night (3rd in 4, 2nd of back to back on the road), so the back up should be able to get the win and keep Talbot fresh for LAK.

Didn’t work out that way, but that’s how I see it.

46. Water Fire says:

I was playing with the NHL stats page, the leading teams in FOW%:

Canes
    Canucks
    Blues
    Isles
    Sens
    Leafs
    Ducks
    Wild
    Rangers

If they can be competent at face offs it’s enough. I think with better team play they’ll be there by season end. McD certainly won’t give up until he’s competent.

47. hunter1909 says:

It’s becoming more and more obvious that Chiarelli/McLellan have inherited a hockey team that resembles a pack of rescue dogs.

From Lowe, to MacT, to Eakins, right down to thealternatecaptainandrewference – Schultz, Yakupov, and even Hall have seen their youthful natural exuberance shattered by these selfish, stupid, and abusing pricks.

If these abused hockey players are ever going to reach their potential as Oilers, Hockey Whisperer Todd McLellan appears perfect for sorting them out.

Which in a way is what Lowetide’s been saying all along.

I’m sorry. Now I have to go and mow my Ledge tennis court.

Was STL wrong to start Pietrangelo in the NHL in his draft +3 year then?

Curious as to where your line in the sand on development is.

St. Louis wasn’t a raging tire fire when they played Pieterangelo draft+3.

Nurse is close though. I expect him by January. Chiarelli and McLellan have to get the tire fire from raging to smouldering first. And make decisions about some players.

I’m disappointed that they are not playing Davidson over Ference. Ference can’t go anywhere NMC, means one is not gaining any information by playing him that you don’t already know. Let’s see what Davidson’s got. It should have been while Reinhart was injured. Poor coaching decision.

Schutlz has become trade bait. I don’t think the GM or the coach will want to work around his limitatioins.

Nugent-Hopkins CANNOT produce offense playing PvP without Eberle. So Eberle is more important than Hall.

Sekera, Fayne
    Klefbom, Gryba
    Nurse, Reinhart

by February, perhaps.

godot10,

I wonder if theformercaptainandrewferance isn’t getting a little itchy from sitting so much?

Maybe he’s more amenable to a trade and they need to get him reps for the scouts?

Downside of that is…well….his play.

Man what a contract.

Draisaitl is in the AHL, because he has to learn how to play without the puck, something he didn’t learn in junior. Once he has the puck all the time in the AHL (which means he has figured out how to play without the puck), then he will be ready for the NHL.

Slepyshev is okay playing without the puck at the bottom six NHL level. As a winger, once you can do that, there is not much to be gained by sending him to the AHL, unless there is someone better than him.

SoCaloil:
    wsh has the best roster they’ve had in a while. I project a deep playoff push

Washington is an eastern conference team, 2 point game.

LA is a divisional rival. Critical 4 point game.

Minnesotat is a conference rival. Important 4 point game.

An extremely simple straightforward logical decision. 4 > 2.

52. gogliano says:

Nurse being the clear #1 in Bakersfield is great for his development. It allows him to work on his craft – and he does need work – with top minutes and with the benefit of flourishing at what he does. Better than our top 6? Sure, but he has some kinks in his game that are better addressed as the go to guy in the NHL.

53. Bar_Qu says:

There are, really, a couple of teams that are approaching panic mode. As a result of the loser point (calm down Bruce) teams can really be out of it by Nov 1 – Friedman quotes Holland on this all the time, if a team is more than 4 pts out by Nov 1 only 3 of 32 made the playoffs (2005-2012). So there is a very reason to make a move now.

I suspect Chia is very aware of the opportunities and is preparing his (t)raid right now. Ducks, Blue Jackets and Avalanche are all teams underperforming expectations and might make a move to “do something” soon. Maybe even high level prospects would get it done. Too bad Slappy is not looking better on the big stage (or on a smaller stage doing amazing things).

Bar_Qu,

. As a result of the loser point (calm down Bruce)

Its not a loser point though.

The teams played to a regulation tie and each get a point just like they have forever.

Then the play for the special and mystical Bettman point for being best at a weird exhibition (3v3 or shoot-out)

55. Bar_Qu says:

Woodguy:
    Bar_Qu,

. As a result of the loser point (calm down Bruce)

Its not a loser point though.

The teams played to a regulation tie and each get a point.

I think its the math that kills him. When 2/3 of the league can have a “winning” record, the numbers are not quite right. I blame teachers and the bell curve. 😉

56. Water Fire says:

Woodguy:
    godot10,

Downside of that is…well….his play.

Man what a contract.

With teams having rough starts you never know what they think is the cause, PDO doesn’t seem on the radar much. Most likely it’s a deadline deal, one last shot, he’ll be fresh as a daisy.

57. Bar_Qu says:

The problem, which the NHL is likely not aware of in their pursuit of “parity”, is how early teams get eliminated from contention due to the 3 point game. If a team has some bad luck early (hello Ohio!) they are effectively out as soon as the season starts. Then if there happens to be a strong draft, the incentive is not to improve, but to be bad, often and spectacularly. It does nothing to help the league at all.

If, however, as Bruce and others have championed, the league were to go to 3 pt wins, then a team could pull back into the race with strong play down the stretch. I am not adept enough at math to double check this, but I bet someone has done a comparison of how playoffs would shake out if reg time wins were worth 3, OT/Shoot-out 2 and loss 0 versus what has really happened. I think teams would be much more competitive and likely coaches would have an incentive to speed up the game, take more chances to get more goals in order to get reg time wins.

I can just imagine the first coach pulling a goalie in a tie game in March to get a reg time win to earn a playoff spot.

58. verdad2.0 says:

Can we get back to the main point.
    Chiarelli is not interested in improving this team.
    If he was he would have dealt with it in the summer when it was possible.
    Schultz should never been allowed to play another game, nor Ference.
    Yet the incompetence just grows.

Oilers have many forward assets to use to fix the defense. Nothing else matters in the NHL game today.

But we now Chiarelli will sit. MacTavish prevails even with demotion.

59. oiler182 says:

Did an oiler defenseman hit the net with a shot last night ? One of the things that drives me nuts is the continual fly by’s, finish your hits and I don’t mean crush people but take them out of the play. I’m surprised by how well gadzic has been playing . Last night was one of those growing pain nights and I wouldn’t put too much stock into it. I loved that zone entry by Washington on their power play goal where the high guy pulled the defence aprt and the next guy split them. I love that part of the game , set plays and good coaching .

verdad2.0:
    Can we get back to the main point.
    Chiarelli is not interested in improving this team.
    If he was he would have dealt with it in the summer when it was possible.
    Schultz should never been allowed to play another game, nor Ference.
    Yet the incompetence just grows.

But we now Chiarelli will sit. MacTavish prevails even with demotion.

61. Gret99zky says:

I’m sorry LT, but when I read this I see, “Peter Chiarelli needs to make a trade but it can’t be Hall, Ebs, RNH, McD, Yak, Drai, or Nurse. It has to be a capable/quality defensemen for the junk that is ineffective.”

You have to give to get.

I agree Chia needs to make a trade. He has to improve this defense.

I’m just going to come right out and say it.

It’s going to be Hall, LT. Chia is going to trade Taylor “Chance” Hall.

There, I said it.

So fuck you, BÖÖK¡JE!!!

Gret99zky: I’m sorry LT, but when I read this I see, “Peter Chiarelli needs to make a trade but it can’t be Hall, Ebs, RNH, McD, Yak, Drai, or Nurse.It has to be a capable/quality defensemen for the junk that is ineffective.”

You have to give to get.

I agree Chia needs to make a trade.He has to improve this defense.

I’m just going to come right out and say it.

It’s going to be Hall, LT.Chia is going to trade Taylor “Chance” Hall.

There, I said it.

So fuck you, BÖÖK¡JE!!!

I’m sorry, too. 🙂 I don’t know who it will be, but suspect you can make a deal without dealing one of McDavid, Nuge or Hall. After that, I’d have a subcat of Eberle, Klefbom and Nurse. I think Leon, based on McDavid’s enormous talent, is probably the guy who will go.

Leon + current D + pick for a quality NHL D, righthanded and effective in all areas of the game. With a big shot from the point.

63. Pouzar says:

Woodguy:
    Water Fire,

I disagree.

The biggest problem with the Oilers D are:

1) Too slow to keep up to NHL forwards (everyone but Sekera, Klef, Jultz)

Nurse:

1) Is faster than all the Oiler Dmen
    2) Is very physical and can break the cycle

I think Nurse’s best attributes are exactly what the team is lacking on D.

If he comes up, he’s not being “rushed”

He’s not being rushed if he plays tomorrow vs the Kings.

EDIT: I didn’t include Reinhart in this because its early days, but there is lots to like about him.Just needs rocket skates, because he’s not fast.

Excellent post.

His passing is way underrated. He put a headman pass right on the tape last night while straddling his own blueline that made me smile. His dzone exit passes are just fine.

64. Pouzar says:

Bar_Qu: I think its the math that kills him. When 2/3 of the league can have a “winning” record, the numbers are not quite right. I blame teachers and the bell curve.

I say why keep score?

DrySaddle + Jultz + 1st for Weber next June if NAS exits the playoffs early again.

Book it!!

I’d do Saddle for Ellis straight up btw and I love Saddle.

66. Bag of Pucks says:

Chiarelli improved the team. Better coaching. Better goaltending. Added solid D assets with reasonable contracts. Liking the Letestu add as well. Very versatile player that can spot in to take D draws from Connor and keep up with the speedster when needed.

In terms of the big trades to rebalance the roster, the plan was always to give the new HC a chance to work with the question marks on the roster. Chia will trade F for D this season after he’s had the opportunity to eyeball his roster directly for a reasonable number of games.

Teams like Washington, playoff tested with great roster depth are the perfect measuring sticks because you simply can’t shelter against them. They are solid throughout the roster so it readily reveals those players who can’t (or won’t) rise to that level of competition.

Players like Schultz or Purcell can fool you against the weak sisters. But against the real toughs, true colours are revealed.

This team is going to get heavier, more consistent in its effort, and the passengers will be culled. In Chia we trust.

67. dustrock says:

Long view here. Remember when I said yesterday I was happy with one stinker (Dallas) in 7 games? Yay another stinker. I also said this was a game the Oilers would traditionally lose. Yup.

Let’s see how they respond.

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that this is truly an evaluation year for the entire roster and I think after 20-30 games we could see some changes for sure.

68. böök¡je says:

Oh oh – swear words seem to be being moderated. Screw off bookjie!

69. böök¡je says:

CofC,

I don’t think it’s that inaccurate. These players have been harmed by Edmonton’s coaching choices and the general coaches carousel.

70. CofC says:

oiler182,

Absolutely agree; I think fundamentals need to be galvanized, which will set the stage for progress and more innovative plays.

71. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: I’m sorry, too. I don’t know who it will be, but suspect you can make a deal without dealing one of McDavid, Nuge or Hall. After that, I’d have a subcat of Eberle, Klefbom and Nurse. I think Leon, based on McDavid’s enormous talent, is probably the guy who will go.

Hi LT. I think back to the summer when Chia spoke about a heavy game with skill. Leon fits that bill. But I can see part of the Hall core being dismantled. I am a Jordan fan and have his jersey number, but i see him as a player that is smallish, doesn’t fit the bigger western conference and heavy game the Chia spoke about. JMHO

72. McSorley33 says:

Where are the forwards numbers?

Love TMacs quote about stupidity….

It has stopped being about Andrew Ference a long time ago.

Takes a LOT of moxy to fill out a lineup card with Andrew Ference in it…

2 options in the press box and a young man in California…..

Going to ice the Lineup that gives you the best chance to win are we?

Watched Jets Lightning..and the games speed was almost breathtaking. Then came the Oilers game and the contrast, was startling…….

But, like last year, I have been told not to panic ….so I won’t.

73. Pouzar says:

Tom Gazzola ‏@TomGazzola
    Iiro Pakarinen on the right side with Letestu and Gazdic this morning. Still no Griffin Reinhart.

74. Pouzar says:

McSorley33,

The D is painfully slow. We need Nurse up here. F^ck it. Gimme Oesterle too.

75. Bag of Pucks says:

Schultz and Eberle for Boone Jenner and Ryan Murray

OR

Eberle and Fayne for Lindholm and Hagelin

OR

Nuge and Schultz for Landeskog and Zadorov

76. Yeti says:

I also don’t think a move of that magnitude happens until next summer.

I agree (so I’m not even remotely sorry) and would throw Yak into that discussion after a year of scoring on McDavid’s wing.
    But in the summer, not now. I don’t believe they will make a move to fix the D before the summer. (And yes, they know it’s broken now).

77. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks,

Not a word out of place.

The best *this* team with *this* roster can hope to be this year is a mid-pack playoff bubble team.

These teams look good against shitty teams, play even up against mid-pack teams, and get exposed by the elite teams.

Especially for a team like the Oilers, one of the youngest in the league, and with a new coach, which can regularly expect to have off-nights and nights of confusion through the first quarter of the season.

Having this team face Murderers Row through the first 20 games is just piling on.

As I said yesterday – the first 10 games this team faces is the toughest 10-game stretch they will face the entire season. The second 10 games is the second hardest 10-game stretch. After the first 20, there isn’t a single 10-game stretch as hard as these two, and most are way easier.

Step away from the ledge everyone!

78. Yeti says:

G Money: Step away from the ledge everyone!

79. G Money says:

Well, the way I see it, that’s where you should be using the numbers to back up your argument

Personally, the numbers from last night are pretty stark, and point at an ‘obvious’ four.

On defense, here are the numbers for the primary defensive pairs from last night:

Sekera Fayne OZ3=12.5 OZ2=66.7 CF=65.0 DFF=63.6
    Ference Gryba OZ3=18.2 OZ2=33.3 CF=27.3 DFF=32.0
    Schultz Klef OZ3=11.8 OZ2=33.3 CF=37.5 DFF=32.1

These numbers are pretty clear. We had one (very) effective D pairing, and two that didn’t just get their heads kicked in, they were decapitated and the other team took turns making peepee on what remained.

Reminder: DFF is ‘danger adjusted fenwick’, it’s a % number and it’s like a blended version of WOI’s high/medium/low danger scoring chances. I also included OZ3 (which uses all three zones to calculate zone starts) to show that the baseline number of 66% is misleading – Sek/Fayne pairing was not particularly ZS sheltered in comparison to the other two because the NZ starts dominated everyone’s numbers.

Out of those bottom four, Gryba’s individual numbers (42 CF, 42 DF) vs Klef (46 CF, 32 DF) and Schultz (40 and 28) and Ference (36 and 34) suggest he’s not the problem. Not the solution, but not the problem.

Not sure why you bother to sit with Ference – what are you going to say? It’s not an effort thing with him. “You can’t play this game anymore?” That was obvious two years ago.

Klef and Schultz, all the way. Jon Willis gave them both 1’s in his player grades, and the numbers 100% back him up.

80. G Money says:

Yeti: I want to step away, but it keeps calling to us. Perhaps we should just take a little peak to see what’s over it?

81. rickithebear says:

Pouzar: The biggest problem with the Oilers D are:
    1) Too slow to keep up to NHL forwards (everyone but Sekera, Klef, Jultz)

You are confusing
    getting out of defensive position and chasing the opposition with good skating
    as defence.

That is not defence.

That is dumb ass hockey.
    See Sekera; Schultz; Petry!

Good defence is preventing SHOTS (not f…… Corsi) from locations were 84% of goals come from.

82. Frank the dog says:

Pouzar,

That’s how Bucky was able to boast taking the Falcons to a “.500″ record”. I would love to see him coaching an NHL team. In our conference preferably, with Eakins coaching another conference team, although his gulls did beat the falcons eh. I still detest what that person did to the morale of this team.

83. Yeti says:

G Money: You might be safe, I assume you have much Himalayan experience to safely guide your ledge adventures.

I’ve never met a ledge I don’t like to pee over.

84. Bag of Pucks says:

TMac specifically mentioned someone playing 18mins without a hit or SOG fwiw.

85. G Money says:

On the forward front, again, two names stand out: Korpi and Purcell.

Korpi CF=30.4 DFF=16.9 – utterly destroyed in his 11:23 of EV time

Purcell CF=41.4 DFF=30.4 – nearly utterly destroyed in his 13:14 of EV time

From two veteran players, one of them highly paid, those kind of results are beyond horrible. Especially Korpikoski. If you want to get on Chia’s case, I can tell you right now – there is little evidence to defend the Korpikoski signing.

Next after that is McDavid (CF 48, DF 37), Lander (46, 37), and Nuge (52,43), but all three young guys with credible efforts on the night, and two of them contributed on the score sheet.

86. Frank the dog says:

Pouzar: I say why keep score?

Exactly. Why not have “Everybody wins” like our kids are all taught at school?

87. G Money says:

Bag of Pucks:
    TMac specifically mentioned someone playing 18mins without a hit or SOG fwiw.

Oilers without a credited SOG attempt last night: Gazdic, Letestu (Klefbom had one blocked shot attempt)

Oilers without a SOG (i.e. not including misses and blocks) last night: Sekera, Yak, Gazdic, Korpi, Letestu, Klefbom

88. Visually better says:

Im an Advocate for a trade and I’ve been saying for a while that I think it’s going to be Hall or.Draisaitl if one does happen. However,

I don’t understand the sentiment around here saying that chiarelli is inept and just simply not looking to bolster his defense. This is the first time in a long time we’ve had a neutral, and very capable Gm and head coach both coming from teams with solid d-men before they left. I’m pretty sure they are aware what they have and realize it’s no where good enough. It’s been common knowledge for along time that our d is nothing short of a mediocre AHL blueline.

Additions this year:

Sekera: good bet, solid 3-4 d-man. Not necessarily a game changer or guy who will stand alone change our blue.

Reinhart: over pay or not, still an addition and a decent bet for the FUTURE. Move probably made from the Old boys club.

This wasn’t a case of Chia along with McLellan’s stamp of approval saying Ok let’s celebrate we just fixed this wretched group. These were deals made to get two d-men in one summer, not an easy task.

Which brings me to my next Point.

For the people who still think it’s really feasible to go on get a OEL or any top 2 d man 8 games AND do so without giving upon of our top flight Forwards are insane.

Chia is looking, however top 2 guys logging 25 minutes a game for the team don’t often just fall out of the sky.

89. Frank the dog says:

Lowetide: I agree to a point, Chiarelli made an error in listening to the lieutenants. That said, you have to play someone this season and we don’t know what he tried to accomplish this summer. I expect he’ll begin cleaning house this season and make sweeping changes in the summer.

Typically a new guy does pay some attention to his some of the survivors of the cleanout, but when he discovers they have given him bad advice, they are generally sidelined or sent out the door. But that’s business, not sports.

90. G Money says:

Visually better: I don’t understand the sentiment around here saying that chiarelli is inept and just simply not looking to bolster his defense.

To be fair, that’s mostly one person, and that person regularly has his sanity and intelligence questioned. [as you yourself just did!]

91. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy,

I’m sorry, but my line in the sand is the Great Rift Valley in Africa.

I’m not disagreeing in any way that Nurse right now is one of the best 4 D in the organization. If you recall my guest post at CoH from Penticton I said as much.

What I am saying is a combination of what G Money is saying, as well as Godot. The first quarter of this season is going to be rough for a number of reasons. Rough schedule, new coach, unlearning old habits. Pietrangelo joined a good Blues team with some vets on the blue who could give him shelter. The Oilers aren’t yet there.

I would like to see some stability and an easier schedule before bringing Nurse up. If icing the best team had been the goal this year they would have acquired better D at the expense of Ference and Nikitin at the very least. They didn’t.

If Nurse’s development is the goal, I don’t mind him being overripe and over ready when he arrives. I don’t want to see him just sawing off the best AHL competition. I want him dominating and not taking any nights off.

92. Bag of Pucks says:

G Money: Oilers without a credited hit last night: Sekera, Lander, McDavid, Schultz, Klefbom, Nuge.

Oilers without a credited SOG attempt last night: Klefbom, Gazdic

Oilers without a SOG (i.e. not including misses) last night: Sekera, Yak, Gazdic, Korpi, Letestu, Klefbom

Not a good morning to be KBom I guess.

93. Frank the dog says:

That’s not the general sentiment, just the opinion of one persistent poster.

94. Visually better says:

G Money,

Our most gracious Lord and Savior, Sir Lt. The 4th also feels Chia is not looking to improve our D as well.

(I’m sorry)

95. Visually better says:

G Money,

No suprise there for me.

Klefbom struggled just as much if not more than those other individuals last night.

No reason he shouldn’t be getting the gears along with the rest if he struggled. No favourites

96. G Money says:

Visually better,

Weeeeeelllll … I’ll let Lt. Sir LT speak for himself, but my read (consistent with what he wrote in this post as well as his general body of work) is quite far from saying Chia is incompetent or not trying.

He wants Chia to do more, and do it quickly.

Not an unreasonable conclusion.

Tthough I don’t necessarily agree with it myself, mostly because:
    – my general “don’t panic yet” outlook
    – giving TMc a chance with this team, which entails at least 10 games
    – my naive non-GM outsider’s read on the market at this point, that it would cost way too much and garner too little of an upgrade. There’s no-one out there trading away a 1D or 2D for cheap, unless you want Jack Johnson.

97. oranjtorch says:

Math question here…..
    Is a player aiming to match or beat his Corsi For % with his Zone Start %?
    For example, if he has a 65% CF% and a 65% ZS, is that basically breaking even on play?
    This doesn’t feel right to me.
    Maybe at 50 and 50, but Dzone and Ozone must be weighted differently, no?
    Thoughts?

98. G Money says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: If the Oilers had one more strong veteran D past Sekera to partner Nurse with I would feel differently. But other than him, everyone is young or needs sheltering. Klef is dreamy but has barely played a full season. Schultz still alternates between improved and still a tire fire, Reinhart is a rookie. Gryba is slow. Fayne is struggling. Let them calm the waters up here before throwing Nurse in the mix.

I agree. At the very least, give TMc some time to throw some water on the tire fire (I believe he will) before calling Nurse into the middle of it.

When he gets here, you can’t put him on an all-rookie third pairing with Reinhart (or can you?), so by default he’s likely playing second pairing. I agree that Nurse is likely already top 4 or top 5 on this team the day he gets here, but having that time on the first pairing at the AHL level I think will prove very valuable.

He’ll be here by mid-season, I’m sure,

Yeah, he makes rookie mistakes now and then, could use more speed, and doesn’t move the puck very well. He’ll improve at the first, no doubt will work on the second, and the third is OK if he’s got the right partner and/or he’s playing third pairing.

Let him be the rookie learning the ropes for another twenty five or so games before calling the Nurse for help.

99. Sugar Reijo says:

G Money:
    Bag of Pucks,

Was easy to just throw up one’s hands last year as management used the first ten games as an extended training camp (healthy scratching Petry, farming Marincin, etc). McLellan’s been so bang on with the verbal you can’t help but hold out some hope he’ll find every shortcut there is.

I can relax during games like last night’s though knowing that if not for a lottery win Nicholson probably doesn’t make the Chiarelli move, which means that in addition to knowing the same crew that created this whole mess could be the same one tasked with cleaning it up, we could have the indignity of watching Nikitin out there trying to redeem our GM’s investment in him.

At least I know we have an adult upstairs talking.

Baby steps…

100. G Money says:

oranjtorch,

Orange – they are independent numbers. Usually, you use the zone starts to give you a context for the Corsi.

So if you had 100% CF with 100% zone starts, you might treat that as a slightly less impressive number because you started in the o zone so much.

But if you had 100% CF with 0% zone starts, that would be a ridiculously impressive number because you managed to achieve that while starting in the Bermuda Triangle.

Note that because many shifts start on-the-fly, and also because the effect of a faceoff dissipates quite quickly, the actual relevance of zone starts remains controversial.

101. Visually better says:

G Money,

I don’t think he by any means was calling him incompetent, but I do think he believes Chia is satisfied with our current d core. Which is what I was saying.

I agree the market is bare. Although I would enjoy prospect picks trade for a Severson Ellis or Spurgeon as others have mentioned. Don’t think you gotta empty the cupboards necessarily to get them either.

102. John Chambers says:

verdad2.0:
    Can we get back to the main point.
    Chiarelli is not interested in improving this team.
    If he was he would have dealt with it in the summer when it was possible.
    Schultz should never been allowed to play another game, nor Ference.
    Yet the incompetence just grows.

But we now Chiarelli will sit. MacTavish prevails even with demotion.

Thing is we’ll feel very different about certain maturing players after Christmas than we did in July .

For example, a Yak for Kulikov trade would’ve been a no-brainer a few months ago.

Visually better:
    G Money,

I think Chia was satisifed that Niki Nikitin would help enough that the team would be able to employ him and then trade NN for value at the deadlne. That was a mistake, because he didnt realize MacT and Howson were defending their position as opposed to telling the truth.

jmo.

104. Water Fire says:

Woodguy:
    Water Fire,

I disagree.

The biggest problem with the Oilers D are:

1) Too slow to keep up to NHL forwards (everyone but Sekera, Klef, Jultz)

Nurse:

1) Is faster than all the Oiler Dmen
    2) Is very physical and can break the cycle

I think Nurse’s best attributes are exactly what the team is lacking on D.

If he comes up, he’s not being “rushed”

He’s not being rushed if he plays tomorrow vs the Kings.

Nurse helps the bottom pair for sure, I don’t see it much beyond that with where the team is ow, not enough consistently executed structure.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Well, yes and no.

STL wasn’t a good team.

They did have some vets, but they were pretty suspect too.

Pietrangelo was full time in 10/11

In 09/10 STL finished 15th in the NHL, 9th in the West and missed the playoffs

That’s not really a good team.

IN 10/11 with Pietrangelo they finished 20th in the NHL, 11th in the West and missed the playoffs.

The Oilers of today are not that far from that imo.

Also,

STL’s Dmen core via 5v5 TOI season in 10/11:

Alex Pietrangelo 1344
    Barret Jackman 1076
    Eric Brewer 996
    Carlo Colaiacovo 980
    Roman Polak 970
    Erik Johnson 938
    Nikita Nikitin 553 (Hi Nik!)
    Kevin Shattenkirk 429
    Ian Cole 420
    Tyson Strachan 323

Johnson got traded for Shattenkirk during this season.

Pietrangelo did not join a strong STL team with good Dmen.

He led the team in 5v5 TOI for the year, that’s not shelter.

Here’s his most common Dpartners that year:

JACKMAN, BARRET 448
    COLAIACOVO, CARLO 358
    JOHNSON, ERIK 119
    NIKITIN, NIKITA 95
    BREWER, ERIC 93
    SHATTENKIRK, KEVIN 81

Looking at BTN’s QC via RelCor, Jackman was taking on the toughs all year and Colaiacovo was getting the softs while everyone else is in between.

Its not a stretch to think that he started sheltered with Colaiacovo and then moved up quickly to be paired with Jackman.

Hell, I’d keep him with Fayne all year and keep him away from the toughs.

The Oilers could ease Nurse into the NHL “easier” than Pietrangelo’s introduction to the NHL.

Water Fire: Good points. Outside of Ference speed isn’t the main problem to me, it’s a lack of forward support and poor decision making by D, followed by the Oilers not holding the puck enough in the right end of the rink.

I agree that decision making and forward support, especially for pinching D is a problem, but I keep speed up there too.

RickiTheResidentBear is right in that you don’t have to worry about speed as much if the Dman is good at positioning .

My reply is that NHL forwards are so bloody fast that speed will always be a plus.

Even the best NHL Dmen get out of position and get walked once in a while, and its the speed that helps them recover.

Speed is very important.

imo.

107. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: he didnt realize MacT and Howson were defending their position as opposed to telling the truth.

Also a much more reasonable theory than ‘Chia doesn’t want to improve the team’… I’m sorry.

108. Klima's_Bucket says:

G Money: If you want to get on Chia’s case, I can tell you right now – there is little evidence to defend the Korpikoski signing.

Right side own zone face-off, Gordon not an option.
    So coach Todd goes with the Dreamy, Schultz pairing and the McDavid line against Backstrom.
    Puck ends up in the back of the net…

JDï™: And very likely the truth. What an awkward situation to come in to, replacing the guy you’re working with, so he had to be as diplomatic as possible

Yeah, I dont think “Chia doesn’t want to improve the team” is a reasonable stance.

110. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy,

Blues have added both Colton Parayko & Joel Edmundson. Both young, big bodies, fast and can play a heavy game. Well against us. Parayko born in St. Albert

111. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

The darnell nurse I saw in camp wasn’t a top 4. He was below reinsert imo, and possibly gryba. I would much prefer to nurture his offensive touch and try to bring him in as a well rounded man than as a shutdown physical guy.

Draisaitl needs to score POINTS.

112. G Money says:

The numbers and arguments that I made up above, I collated into a more readable format and posted it as a *** NerdAlert ***. Nothing new if you read what I posted, but the data tables are certainly a bit easier on the eyes.

113. RPG says:

Does moving Draisaitl to NJ get you Larsson? Could always add Fayne if necessary.

Sekera-Larsson
    Klefbom -Schultz
    Reinhardt-Gryba

Larsson is currently playing there in NJ.

114. G Money says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Yup. My only hope for that situation was

– Korpi’s had success in the past, maybe Chia knew something about him as a reclamation project, and
    – he’s a Finn!

Damn.

115. Ice Sage says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker):

Draisaitl needs to score POINTS.

Reinhart autocorrects to reinsert? That’s Gold.

116. Centre of attention says:

I think the goalering caused last nights game to get out of hand. The Oilers could of walked away with a point in the standings at least if Nilsson had been pulled after the 4-3 goal [4 goals on 12 shots]. He looked done beyond that point and the next 2 goals were just adding gas on the fire.

One bad mistake and it was in the net last night ,where the previous 3 games Talbot/Nilsson were there to clean up. A little bit of blown coverage has happened every game this season even the calgary game. Difference has been goal tending.

“It’s the Goalie stupid.”

The team woke up once Talbot was put it, but couldn’t convert on a couple power plays because Schultz can’t hold the puck in the zone if it was the only thing he had to do in his entire NHL career…

Nilsson is only 25, relativly inexperienced and a night like this is almost to be expected, especially considering the state of the ‘D’. Its very possible he rebounds from last night and has a long and successful NHL career. Another night with a >0.70 save percentage and things get dicey.

117. G Money says:

Centre of attention,

I agree, the goaltending was not as strong last night as it has been. I count three WSH goals (the margin of losing) that were stoppable.

Another reason to back away from the ledge. (as long as the soft goaltending is a temporary thing and not the start of a trend – if so, we just fell over the ledge).

But I wouldn’t blame the goalies too much either. The three goals were stoppable, but only the Talbot goal I would consider ‘soft’.

One softie in seven is mostly on the team, not the goalies.

And the Oilers cemented the loss because of their absolutely terrible third period effort (against a 3 games in 4 nights team).

118. Klima's_Bucket says:

G Money: the Talbot goal I would consider ‘soft’.

Just prior to the hat trick goal on Talbot you can see Cam sneak a peek at the slot, just as Kuznetsov was firing the puck. That half second peek was all it took for Kuznetsov to complete the hat trick with a soft goal.

119. TheGreatMcMutato says:

Sorry, but I was at a concert last night and missed the game.

Doesn’t seem like I missed much besides the opportunity to have info on who was seen bad.

Sorry.

120. JDï™ says:

TheGreatMcMutato: Sorry, but I was at a concert last night and missed the game.

The need for a musical thread derail is too damned high!

Who did you see?

(sorry Pouz)

flyfish1168:
    Woodguy,

Blues have added both Colton Parayko& Joel Edmundson.Both young, big bodies, fast and can play a heavy game. Well against us. Parayko born in St. Albert

Blues certainly have more D now than they did in 10/11.

With their injuries up front and depth on D I could see Armstrong make a D for F trade.

Ty Rattie is coming up with Schwarz on the LTIR for probably the rest of the year (word is that his broken ankle will be “re-evaluated in 12 weeks”….ouch.

If Rattie isn’t to Hitch’s linking I wonder if they go trade or call up Barbashev?

122. böök¡je says:

Vedrad#50;.0:
    Can we get back to the main point.
    Chiarelli is not interested in improving this team.
    If he was he would have dealt with it in the summer when it was possible.
    Schultz should never been allowed to play another game, nor Ference.
    Yet the incompetence just grows.

But we now Chiarelli will sit. MacTavish prevails even with demotion.

I’m sorry! Fuck off bookjie!

123. Centre of attention says:

G Money:
    Centre of attention,

I agree, the goaltending was not as strong last night as it has been.I count three WSH goals (the margin of losing) that were stoppable.

Another reason to back away from the ledge.(as long as the soft goaltending is a temporary thing and not the start of a trend – if so, we just fell over the ledge).

But I wouldn’t blame the goalies too much either.The three goals were stoppable, but only the Talbot goal I would consider ‘soft’.

One softie in seven is mostly on the team, not the goalies.

Agreed.

And for the record, I’m not trying to crucify Nilsson. He is a young goalie who is playing on a bad team. I do not think he is in the Coaches dog house either. The D could of helped him out a bit on 1 or 2 of the goals and the Oilers staying out of the box [hard with bad refs] could of avoided a few more.

Talbot will keep the LA game close, but I have a feeling the Oil lose that one to unless the Coaches thrashing this morning straightens things out on the back end. Or, you know, they call up Nurse.

I’m with LT. If Slepy can “develop” in the NHL without even trying to take English lessons then Nurse can “develop” by Crosschecking Lucic in the face and clearing the front of the net.

Nurse can also move the f*cking puck at even strength. Seems to be an issue with some “individuals” who’s entire MO is to move the f*cking puck. Somehow these guys only move it closer to their own net, rather then towards the oppositions.

PS: I don’t think Nurse should automatically get power play time if recalled though. His work on the offensive blue line has to get much better and going for ganders behind the oppositions net will get him off the man advantage for sure. PK? Sure.

124. kevin says:

Klima’s_Bucket: Don’t forget Gmoney, Chia took a valuable right shot faceoff man with an expiring contract and TRADED him for two years of Korpikoski, the Oilers face-off woes continue…as evidenced by the late 1st period goal last night.
    Right side own zone face-off, Gordon not an option.
    Puck ends up in the back of the net…

I thought that Gordon was traded because the Oilers only had left-shot centers, including Gordon. Chiarelli then signed Letestu, a right-shot center the next day.
    Or is my memory failing me again?

125. Visually better says:

That could very well have been the case. Mact seems to be incapable of admitting his mistakes.

126. Магия 10 says:

Ice Sage: Reinhart autocorrects to reinsert?That’s Gold.

I nominate Ferrence for deinsert. As in I don’t think TMac should sit down with deinsert. I think deinsert should sit down many rows higher.

127. JDï™ says:

Магия 10: If reinsert is ready soon to be reinserted we need his dampening field in front of the net and breaking up cycles.

According to Oilers’ site, Reinsert did not practice today.

128. blainer says:

hunter1909:
    Schultz’s muffin from the point is particularly effective.

For the PK.

LOL… that was good.. Yak is our best trade bait ..

Just put up a new post at Because Oilers:

Oiler Dmen vs the best opposition forward lines through 8 games.

Thanks for letting me post that here LT.

130. Centre of attention says:

Post practice interviews are great stuff.

I think Pakarinen scores in his season debut.

131. Klima's_Bucket says:

kevin,

Gordon is and always has been a right shot Center all the way back to his minor league hockey days where I lined up on his right wing and enjoyed the fruits of his labor.

132. GCW_69 says:

Zykov scored two goals against the Condors on Friday.

133. 106 and 106 says:

Trading players is tough.

Last “trade” CGY Brian O’Neill –> 7th Pick LA — Oct. 6th

GM’s are keeping their powder dry still – assessment period continues.

Woodguy:
    Just put up a new post at Because Oilers:

Oiler Dmen vs the best opposition forward lines through 8 games.

Thanks for letting me post that here LT.

always, WG. Great stuff. Great insight into why Gryba is playing more AND avoiding the toughs. That’s genuinely hard to do but McLellan is getting it done. I do think those moments come with sacrificing offense in favor of adding toughness though—that’s a bad trade.

135. Centre of attention says:

Todd regarding J Schutlz last night “My wife is still trying to get me to break all my bad habits. If he was the only one we would be OK.”

I freaking love this coach.

136. kevin says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    kevin,

Chiarelli is craftier than I thought.
    He trades away his only right-shot center, then the next day he says he really needs a right-shot center who is great at face-offs as one of reasons for signing Letestu?

From Peter Chiarelli, “What we wanted was a right shot centre who is good on faceoffs. Another tool that your coach has on important draws.” (per Bruce McCurdy’s excellent article on July 1st)

137. Seismic Source says:

We should have 8+ years ahead of us of inflating the value of anyone we want and we might already be seeing it with Yak.

The McDavid pump and dump could be a real thing.

138. Lois Lowe says:

This iteration of the Oilers would be substantially better if they had David Clarkson.

139. JDï™ says:

Lois Lowe: substantially better

At least ‘visually better’.

Thanks LT.

Agreed about the Gryba minutes.

Can I beg a RT on twitter? ;D

I didn’t expect to find Fayne and Gryba so decisively better than Schultz/Klef against the toughs.

142. Магия 10 says:

G Money: I also seem to be one of the few here who has become a fan of Reinhart (or am I?). He seems to put a dampening field around him that squelches the opposition more often than not. Somebody posted here the other day the defense ranked by high-danger chances against, and Reinhart was leading the team by a wide margin. I believe those numbers.

Love watching Reinsert deinserting opposing forwards from danger zones

143. spoiler says:

I’m not as certain that Chia is that actively looking for a trade this very moment. I’m sure he’s exploring the market but I would think he’d be a bit leery to make an immediate deal.

I think he would rather see what TMac can eke out of this roster first before pulling the trigger.

Getting buy-in is the first thing. Then think about trades.

We’ve seen glimpses of goodness from just about everyone on the roster that is not a former Oiler captain. Yes, even Schultz.

If I’m Chia, I’d want to see what the roster can do with full buy-in before making a move. Or holding that move back to use it as a whip for buy-in if the players remain stubborn.

Hearing Trotz talking about the Caps taking all of last season to fully buy-in to playing the game smart and consistent tells us how arduous a process this is.

And trades are easier to make once the team is playing better. GMs be throwing us boat anchors right now.

I think patience is the key for the moment and then let’s see what this looks like at the 20 game mark. Calling for trades means there can’t be Improvement on last night’s game and I think that’s BS. I think TMac thinks the same way. I certainly don’t see him close to waving the white towel.

And any one player they bring in will sink to the same level of laziness even if they were committed on their prior team. Nope gotta get that commitment from this dressing room first.

I wouldn’t bring up Nurse for essentially the same reasons. I’d want him to join a team that has bought in and is managing games better before introducing him to the squad. So Darnell in the AHL is not just about his development but the team’s too.

144. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy,

With Columbus in turmoil, would David Savard be a good target as an upgrade on Schultz?

145. rickithebear says:

Bag of Pucks: Eberle and Fayne for Lindholm and Hagelin

In the league last 4 years.
    If you want a forward to give you high Goal and point count every year rather than peaks and troughs
    Only 4 are better than eberle.
    there are only 7 in that time who have a better G and PT avg but 3 are peak and troughs.

Woodguy:

Thanks LT.

Agreed about the Gryba minutes.

Can I beg a RT on twitter? ;D

Done!

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Woodguy,

I would love Savard for Schultz.

Not sure CBJ does that though.

You are a nice person.

I don’t care what Bookjie says about you.

149. Bank Shot says:

Centre of attention:

“It’s the Goalie stupid.”

Goaltending and good luck has kept the Oilers in a few games this year, but it’s unrealistic to expect that to happen every night.

When you are giving up 2 breakaways nearly every game of the season you’re going to get lit up from time to time. We can’t count on Daniel Sedin shooting a puck into the stands from the blue paint every night.

The problem isn’t the goaltending. It’s the terrible team in front of them. The defence is bad, and the forwards are poor defensively to boot.

150. Pouzar says:

rickithebear: In the league last 4 years.
    Only 4 are better than eberle.

The guy hates Eberle. No worries. Those are terrible trade proposals.

151. spoiler says:

Love that pic up top, LT. Chia looks like he is in full Gavin mode.

h/t G Money