WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?

I was overrun with trade questions and ideas today on the Lowdown, the entire Oilers Nation appears to be either trying to oust Peter Chiarelli or aggressively help him with the chores. I’m not certain why some of us think Patrick Marleau or Scott Hartnell would be heading here—Edmonton’s issues remain an up the middle problem, mostly on defense in my opinion—but it did get me thinking about possible solutions to the problem.

This blog suggested Peter Chiarelli would be active in-season, and I still think that’s likely. Edmonton’s poor start means (to me) it is more likely we see patience until the deadline, unless a substantial deal for current and long term can be found in the coming days.

I think Peter Chiarelli is probably willing to give up substantial assets, including cap room this season, if there’s an opportunity to acquire a defenseman who can help this season and into the future. I think he would be looking for a:

• right-handed player who can move the puck
  • strong power-play option
  • young enough to grow with the group
  • under control (RFA)
  • big shot from the point a positive

That’s fair, I think. Let’s see if we can find some of these guys.

RFA D

This is sorted by TOI, as it’s unwise to be comparing a lot of these numbers across teams and roles. I think Peter Chiarelli is looking into this area of the NHL’s defensive talent pool, perhaps it’s wider (players who have signed long-term deals and are under control for up to four years down the road (Jonas Brodin). After that, I’m not sure about the wisdom of trading for a Dustin Byfuglien in the months before his free agency. Where’s the gain? Why give up the assets?

• Darnell Nurse—Andrej Sekera
  • Oscar Klefbom—Sami Vatanen
  • Griffin Reinhart—Justin Schultz

Thoughts?

142 Responses to "WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?"

1. v4ance says:

Totally against trading for any players over 32 years old. It’s not that I hate veterans but when I look at the league, I see how much speed is required to compete and younger is the way to go; not older.

Looking at guys like Marleau or Hartnell, I wonder, are they gonna be here in 2-3 or 4 to 5 years when the team and McDavid are ready to compete for playoffs or even the cup? Better to get mid-career guys or on the cusp of establishing themselves like Reinhart. There will be added risk but that’s why we pay Chiarelli the big money to make those tough decisions.

Don’t give up assets for guys who will retire in 1 or 2 years. You’d think we’d have learned our lesson after Ference…

2. BrazilianOil says:

Klefboom – Larson
    Spurgeron – Sekera
    Nurse – Reinhart
    Davidson

Good enough for playooffs? I think so.

Could a combination of 1rst round, Yak ( i gonna miss him), Fayne , Schultz, Sleppy … Get it done during the summer?

3. Centre of attention says:

I like the players you have showed as examples.

What would you give up to get Vatanen, LT?

4. Younger Oil says:

It’s honestly so incredibly awful that Fayne, Nikitin, and Ference are unable to play at an NHL level.

That’s about a top pairings worth of money put into three #8 Defenders.

5. stush18 says:

Sami vatanen would be a great add.

RFA after this year, correct? So what do we give up?

Gotta think it revolves around yak ebs or pouliot. Since the whole reason Anaheim would give up vatanen is because he is going to command money, I think that crosses pouliot off the list.

Ebs gets us vatanen plus someone’s salary to make it work. Someone like maroon maybe.

Murray also has to make a choice on a goalie. Could we grab one of Anderson or Gibson?

Yak makes sense cuz he’s cheap and under control. That’s what Anaheim needs. I’m thinking it could end up

Yak for vatanen

Or ebs plus talbot/nillson for vatanen, maroon, Gibson/Anderson. (Likely Anderson.)

6. TheOtherJohn says:

Hey John

Long time listener, first time caller ……. Whereupon ridiculous trade proposal ensues

Modern day equivalent:

Why don’t we trade some really bright prospects on the farm: Dave Musil, Tyler Pitlick, Mitch Moroz and a 5th for Seth Jones. Don’t like to give those early 2nd rounds picks just as they round into NHL form but Jones could be a real D.

Think Jones would be our best D man and it would not be close. Not sure you don’t have Reinhart too high on depth chart above

7. Younger Oil says:

I think Vatanen is the most unlikely to be had out of the five you suggested.

Incredibly tough for GM’s to feel comfortable making a big trade with a division rival.

8. Acumen says:

Why do you hate Adam Larsson?

Acumen:
    Why do you hate Adam Larsson?

Like him a lot, but he’s signed. These are RFA’s.

10. Centre of attention says:

I agree Vatanen is probably not the most reasonable guess. Last I checked the Ducks were looking to move Fowler before anything else.

I heard also Carolina is looking to sell this season, maybe they could let Faulk go? They are still looking to build threw the draft I assume and some substantial picks/prospects could loosen up Faulk. Definitely a “win now” move.

I have a feeling when the trade DOES happen, a lot of fans might be surpised at the team involved as well as the player coming back.

I think it happens either closely leading up to the deadline or the day of.

My 2 cents.

11. maudite says:

Seth Jones. Nashville is so deep on RHD he is playing off handed.

Weak center depth
    Weak RW depth after Neal

Order of preference of primary piece oil have that would be a good fit
    Eberle
    Yak
    Drai

and whatever it takes in drafts or cash to balance either way (or if you can magically package Reinhart, 1st this year and whatever to balance but I would be amazed if this was even possible).

Oilers have 7 top 6 forward players that are going to basically be 4 million plus after next season (drai and yak will get there and pou is already there). If they stand a chance of turning truly north it requires sending something out of the C/RW depth and converting that to 20+ min a night RHD.

12. Frank the dog says:

Everybody needs to relax. Whatever happens, will be for the benefit of the team in the long run, starting next year. If a suitable trade is not available, it won’t be done.
    We have a great core, a competent management team and a top tier head coach. They are figuring out the team’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Most of the team just needs to mature and gain experience in the system and working with each other. What needs to get done will get done, and we will get to see as the team improves, quarter by quarter.
    By the time we reach the last 20 games this team will be a delight to watch and a terror to their opponents.
    just don’t expect the playoffs, and you will be ok.

13. Centre of attention says:

maudite,

Nashville would be stupid to not try and move Weber out east before trying to move Seth.

I also don’t think Nashville wants to take back tons of salary, so they won’t be taking one for the 6 million dollar men.

Next.

14. marty62 says:

I agree with Frank the Dog. I think Chia is out looking for deals, problem is alot of teams looking to trade have the same problems the Oilers do and are looking to dump their garbage. Ference and his No movement dont help much either. I think Chia may not be able to make anything happen for a bit yet, but once we do get a reliable puck mover to calm tings on the back end, we will finally make that long awaited turn north…..

Frank the dog:
    Everybody needs to relax.

16. Centre of attention says:

Hey, what do you think of Christian Folin? 6′ 3” 214 lbs right shot RFA defenseman, currently playing for Minnesota.

Wonder what he would take to get? I know you want Spurgeon BUT….

17. maudite says:

Exactly so next:
    .yak and reinhardt for Jones and?

Eberle
    Yak
    Drai
    Reinhardt
    Shultz
    Our 1st or any picks this year

With these pieces surely we can find the range

Centre of attention:
    maudite,

Next.

18. cadooo says:

Out to dinner before WHL vs Russia game and Ryan Smyth is at the next table.

I would trade the 2016 1st and Mark Fayne to San jose for Brent Burns. I wonder if San Jose would do that.

Risky, because Burns is a UFA after next season. But I want someone who can move the needle.

20. Centre of attention says:

maudite,

No, we can’t.

Next.

21. maudite says:

Balance has to shift some of out talent up front to back.

Klef Jones
    Nurse several

Hall rnh eb/yak/drai
    Poliout McDavid eb/yak/drai

That’s a strong bet going forward and even if overpay required it’s value is returned in balance

22. Centre of attention says:

godot10,

I would do that trade. ALL DAY. All day.

Burns said great things about McLellan, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind running a powerplay with 4 #1 overall picks playing on it, especially for his old coach 🙂

I think he would resign something reasonable, though term might be an issue.

23. ruotsalainen says:

Spurgeon’s the get here and I think it’s fairly plausible with Minnesota having a fairly deep blueline, and probably trying to make a bit of room for Dumba.

Not sure what it’ll take as there are many others who are better at prognosticating that, but think it could be fairly reasonable.

24. slopitch says:

Chai seems to bring up heavy hockey in every interview. While he does have many definitions for it (ie the Detroit references) I think he’d want big dmen. So I’ll vote Trouba or Jones. I think the cost of Jones would be Nuge or Drai so I’ll say Eberle for Trouba. Jets need to sign Ladd so I’m not sure it works financially. I do like Trouba a lot despite the fact he’s green like Klefbom and Nurse. Can Trouba be offersheeted this summer? I think offer sheet this summer is the play. The games lately seem like progress without results. If there is a hockey trade, jump on it. Although the only guys available are older like Buf or Phaneuf. Would love a blockbuster hire now. Tired of playing for next year.

25. Jaxon says:

I’m holding out hope that they can convince this Nikitin Zaitsev kid to sign with them. 24 years old. 4th Overall KHL in ’09. Right-handed D, wears the “A’ on his KHL team and was a 1st team All-Start last year (with our own Anders Nilsson, Radulov and Panarin to give you an idea of what that means). Teams that have shown interest: DET, ARI, PHI, TOR, CGY, LAK, VAN. Trains in the summers with Gary Roberts. Edmonton recently sent scouts to Russia to watch him. Eligible to sign March 1st, the day after the NHL trade deadline. Damn it, if he wouldn’t be a perfect fit for Edmonton.
    Edmonton could look pretty attractive to a 24 yr old Right hander. He could step into 1st or 2nd pairing minutes fairly quickly.

Won’t be able to play until the final 18 games this season, but he could be a gem. A great time to come in after Edmonton unloads a few players at the trade deadline.

ELLIOTTE FRIEDMAN article:

26. Centre of attention says:

maudite:
    Balance has to shift some of out talent up front to back.

Klef Jones
    Nurse several

Hall rnh eb/yak/drai
    Poliout McDavid eb/yak/drai

I beg you pardon?

27. Frank the dog says:

Lowetide: I think it’s okay to have a conversation. No panic here, but part of my post includes a credible source talking about Chiarelli casting about. “DON’T PANIC!” really doesn’t apply here.

28. Water Fire says:

maudite:
    Exactly so next:
    .yak and reinhardt for Jones and?

Eberle
    Yak
    Drai
    Reinhardt
    Shultz
    Our 1st or any picks this year

With these pieces surely we can find the range

I like this line of thinking but you don’t want to trade centres. If it’s Drai it’s for Jones straight up. No other young D bring enough value except a couple of Swedish D.

I have no problem trading a good forward but I want to win Championships so it’s wingers first and always try to trade promise before performance.

29. Derek says:

New Jersey also has a number of young blue liners worth looking at. The big name is Larsson but Severson is a really nice player too. Might be a bit young though.

Frank the dog: Conversations are why we follow this blog, LT. But any normal person would panic with what we are seeing as our chances of a playoff run rapidly fade into the distance. Under normal circumstances, the management would be fully expected to do something dramatic but these are not normal circumstances. This is a management and coaching team that is firmly focused on next year, knows exactly what they are doing, and will not be distracted. We can converse as much as we like, but if we want to make any kind of accurate prediction, we need to understand the parameters this team is likely working within.

sure. I think trade deadline is looking more likely, if the team was a little better PC might have hurried up the process.

31. square_wheels says:

Derek,

32. flyfish1168 says:

Hi LT, I’m a little surprised you don’t have Kevin Shattenkirk on your list. He has size and is proven. Only down side is 2 years from UFA.

flyfish1168:
    Hi LT, I’m a little surprised you don’thave Kevin Shattenkirk on your list. He hassize and is proven. Only down side is 2 years from UFA.

RFA’s. It’s a list of RFA’s.

34. mujidog says:

Sekera needs to be better. That would solve some of our problems.

35. square_wheels says:

flyfish1168,

American player interested in signing long term in Edm ? Always the big risk for me, Pronger fiasco still stings. Nice player but I’d try my luck on Burns before him.

36. Clarkenstein says:

It’s come to this? On November the damn 9th!! Trade this guy and that guy for that guy and this guy??!! But… 2 points from DFL… again… will generate this type of talk I guess!! *disgusted*

37. TayLordBalls says:

@ Lowetide

What this team needs and has always needed is a major boost of confidence.

A Marty McSorley type or a Matt Hendricks with raging hormones x2 would give our team a boost.

As it is, our team is its own greatest competition.

38. Dicky94 says:

Eric Gudbranson would look good in an Oiler jersey.

Clarkenstein:
    It’s come to this?On November the damn 9th!!Trade this guy and that guy for that guy and this guy??!! But… 2 points from DFL… again… will generate this type of talk I guess!!*disgusted*

??????

40. Ryan says:

Lowetide: ??????

I’m assuming that he’s disgusted that we’re two points from DFL.

41. bendelson says:

godot10:

Risky, because Burns is a UFA after next season.But I want someone who can move the needle.

Yeah, that’s the play.
    Doesn’t sound like a lottery protected 1st, without adding something more – which does alter the conversation somewhat…

1st (protected)
    2nd
    Fayne

3-1!
    Still not enough…

42. Mr DeBakey says:

square_wheels: I think Larson would be available before Severson, he has much higher offensive upside. 21, 6’2″ 200+’lbs, RHD……even without Lou around we’d get fleeced in that deal.

Look at Larsson’s TOI.
    He’s not available.
    Neither is Seth Jones.

Not Available.

43. flyfish1168 says:

square_wheels:
    flyfish1168,

I don’t believe it was Chris that was the issue.

44. John Chambers says:

Aim high

Reinhart, Yakupov, and a 2nd for Faulk.

Big payment but we get our guy. Young and signed for term.

I agree that Spurgeon is probably the play here.

A bunch of us have like him for a long time and he just gets better.

Would have been cheaper last year before he started taking a regular shift with Suter.

MIN is at 60.5MM and 16 players signed for next year. 10 forwards, 5 D and 1 G.

The Dmen are:

Suter 7.53
    Brodin 4.16
    Scandella 4
    Folin 725K
    Prosser 625K

Need contracts: Spurgeon RHD, Dumba RHD

They can’t afford to pay both long term. Not now that they’ve given Spurgeon’s money to Scandella.

Scandella came up first and Spurgeon/Scandella were a good 2nd pair so they paid Scandella.

Turns out Spurgeon was carrying the water and now Scandella is playing 3rds with Prosser/Folin, and has a $4MM contract until 2020.

They may try to bridge Dumba and sign Spurgeon for a similar term to Dumba’s bridge, but Spurgeon is 1 year from UFA so if he elects arb then its 1 year and gone.

Only Tambellini and MacT waste assets like that, so its likely Spurgeon is available, but it really depends on how Dumba progresses this year and what MIN thinks of Dumba.

I’m sure their first play is to move Scandella, but I’m not sure they’d find a taker as Holmgren, MacT, Tambellini, and Nonis don’t run teams anymore.

Given their cap situation MIN might take a handful of futures for him like a 1st + AHL Dman with some promise.

CAR is rebuilding and they are rebuilding from the blue line out.

They have no reason to trade Faulk, who is among the best in the NHL at age 23 and is signed below market at $4.83 until 2020.

Add to him Hanifin, Jordan and maybe Murphy if he can get his shit together, they have a nice Dcorp going forward.

No impetus to trade Faulk at all.

47. square_wheels says:

flyfish1168,

Hhaha ya it was his wandering penis.

flyfish1168: Doug Weight , Todd Marchant, Lee Fogolin Mike Grier and Tom Gilbert to name a few that has sign longer contracts with us. There are some.

I don’t believe it was Chris that was the issue.

Petry was also open to staying long term but the GM didn’t like him.

49. Kmart99 says:

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the Oil are on pace to have a goal differential that is 43 better than last season.
    That’s significant. If this is how their goal diff shakes out against the toughest comp, they could easily be looking at an even better pace after 30 games.

The 21-30 game stretch is the easiest of the year and if this team is actually better under TMac, they could win as many as 7 of those games.

Mr DeBakey: Look at Larsson’s TOI.
    He’s not available.
    Neither is Seth Jones.

Not Available.

I agree that Ellis is probably more available than Jones, but it really depends on what Poile wants back.

He basically has no centers coming up the pipe. None.

Weber, Ellis and Jones could all return one, but not the same ones.

Which Dman goes depends on how high Poile wants to shoot for a C.

51. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: RFA’s. It’s a list of RFA’s.

Hi LT,

Why haven’t you included Karlsson or Subban?

Western Conference bias? Or do you just hate offensive defensemen?

Kmart99:
    That’s significant.If this is how their goal diff shakes out against the toughest comp, they could easily be looking at an even better pace after 30 games.

True. The goaltending has cost them a point or two and they’re still spending a lot of their at-bats on development, but I’m not convinced they should move away from either goalie and the kid blue are better than the older men

RexLibris: Hi LT,

Why haven’t you included Karlsson or Subban?

Western Conference bias? Or do you just hate offensive defensemen?

lol. I like it better when we’re picking on Woodguy. 🙂

54. flyfish1168 says:

square_wheels:
    flyfish1168,

Hhaha ya it was his wanderingpenis.

lol

I say he met a home-wrecker or maybe a gold digger.

If anything both have very little respect for marriage.

55. Alpine says:

Dicky94:
    Eric Gudbranson would look good in an Oiler jersey.

I guess if we were looking for a slightly better version of Gryba, he’d work. Otherwise, meh.

56. flyfish1168 says:

RexLibris: Hi LT,

Why haven’t you included Karlsson or Subban?

Western Conference bias? Or do you just hate offensive defensemen?

I like the western conference bias. They are more use to the teams and know what to expect playing the heavier teams. JMHO

57. fifthcartel says:

Woodguy,

Add in the fac that they signed Mike Reilly as a college free agent and Spurgeon being from Edmonton, and holy hell if he doesn’t become an Oiler something must have gone wrong. Reilly does shoot left, but I’m sure one of the other defensemen can shift to the right and Dumba moves up a rung.

College d-men seem to be more NHL ready and college free agents have probably been promised playing time pretty early on.

I agree with the Nashville comment as well. They have Kamenev in the minors, who I think is a C, but their center depth is old and pretty atrocious. Part of me hopes Draisaitl has a good year and Poile bites the bullet and moves Jones for him, but giving up the depth of RNH-McDavid-Draisaitl is hard to do and I’m assuming they’d even think about moving Jones. It just seems like a perfect fit.

58. John Chambers says:

Woodguy,

Carolina has drafted Hanifin and Haydn (sp?) Fleury with their last two 1st rounders. Along with Faulk they could conceivably be in a position of strength on D in the near future … BUT … beyond Elias Lindholm and Jeff Skinner they are desperately lacking scoring.

I’m suggesting the Oilers would have to overpay for Faulk. With Eric Staal a UFA and well past his best days, they should be eager to shore up at Centre. Perhaps a Draisaitl + Reinhart deal looks attractive to them inasmuch as:
    – it build around a cluster of players drafted 2012-2016 (they hold LA’s 1st this year)
    – the players they’d be acquiring are pedigreed but still on ELCs

Just like OEL in Ari, Faulk is his teams best player and best trade asset, but they might move the asset if it better served their long-term plans.

59. smellyglove says:

At what point are we effectively out of the playoff race and looking at who is slated to go top 5 in the draft?

I say that because the Oilers have a 0.333 points percentage. Worse than last year, worse than 2009-10, 2010-11. That, after four #1 OVs in six years.

60. Loyal2theoil says:

Woodguy,

And Hayden Fleury too.

61. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

If you sell wood, that’s in the shape of a long cylindrical shape that’s used for a 9 inning game, please hit MacT right in his stubborn ass over that Dman.

Petry looks fantastic in Montreal, I’m not over that deal yet….as in ever.

62. Johnny skid says:

jacob trouba is a stud and if he were available he would be my choice. no to spurgeon for me.

63. Kmart99 says:

You could argue that the Oilers are building from the back end out
    4 OV pick Reinhart, 6 OV pick Nurse, and 17 OV Klefbom along with Vet Sekera here to help ease them in. Brossoit is in the wings, Nilsson is young, and Talbot isn’t exactly old.

The bets on the back end have been made. Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart, Talbot, Nilsson, Brossoit.
    Their performances probably have the biggest effects on PChia when deciding how active to be in the trade market.

RexLibris: Hi LT,

Why haven’t you included Karlsson or Subban?

Western Conference bias? Or do you just hate offensive defensemen?

I was really close to writing this post too.

Loyal2theoil:
    Woodguy,

And Hayden Fleury too.

Thanks, forgot him.

He’s got a ton of potential.

More than Jordan and Murphy for sure.

66. Alpine says:

smellyglove:

By this time last year, we had a nice Eastern conference road trip to pad our win column. We’ve played 3 of the top 5 east teams, beating one of those. Schedule strength is a bitch.

John Chambers:
    Woodguy,

– the players they’d be acquiring are pedigreed but still on ELCs

I understand where you’re coming from but I just don’t see them trading their best Dman who has 276 NHL games, is signed long term and is only 23.

That type of player is the cornerstone of a rebuild.

Dmen take way too long to become Actual NHL players, smart teams don’t trade the good ones when they are just getting there.

Eric Tulsky works full time for them and by all reports Ron Francis is not the MacT/Holmgren/Sakic type ex-player GM. He’s smart and patient. Probably knows the value of Dmen too.

Up front Lindholm is not coming along like a high pick should, Skinner has never been the same since the concussions and E.Staal is in his last year, while Jordan is signed until 2020.

Its thin up front, but they have a few years to accumulate more forwards while the Dmen mature.

Should be a good team for opening night 2017 in Quebec City.

68. jake70 says:

Well, Pronger thanked the Oilers ownership group, Cal Nichols specifically. Was wondering if he would mention the team at all. And Lauren sitting in front row, not sure why anyone would stray (if that has any truth to it at all) but stranger things have happened.

Johnny skid:

I think WIN lets Buff walk and Trouba moves up a notch.

Don’t see him being available at all.

70. HiddenDarts says:

Mr DeBakey: Look at Larsson’s TOI.
    He’s not available.
    Neither is Seth Jones.

Not Available.

Hmm.

Remember that trade of NHL player for NHL player earlier this season?

Funny. Neither do I. I don’t remember ANY SERIOUS TRADES occurring this year, nor any other recent previous October or November.

Listen, unless there’s a sale on #1 defensemen at the #1 defensemen store (Ekman-LarsenMart?), it just isn’t going to happen.

They’re going to have to play through this, frankly. And it’s going to suck on a lot of nights.

But this idea of the “trade assets for a just developing future #1 D” is completely insane! It ain’t gonna happen! EVER!! There was only one Milbury. There will not be another one!!!

This requirement to “fire Chiarelli because he didn’t get us a #1 D” would mean that 29 other GMs would be out of a job as well. Who DOESN’T want a #1???

Anyway. I wish a lot of the normally sane folks would give their heads a shake here. Let’s talk realism here! Or scotch! Or good red wines!

Just please, spare the world another, something plus for Jones.

71. Clay says:

I think what it comes down to is that if a young top-pairing D were available for anything close to a reasonable price, the deal would’ve been made already (if not by Chia, by another team).

Let’s be honest here – the conversation for a Seth Jones type doesn’t even begin if Hall or Nuge aren’t on the table, and the 2016 1st rounder would probably need to be on the table as well.

I love Yakcity, but no one else wants him. All he has shown is that he can put up numbers when on the wing of a generational talent.

Eberle may get you in the conversation for a good young second-pairing type, but that’s not what the Oilers need.

It’s been said a million times, but when an NHL GM is drowning, there are 29 other GMs lining up to throw him a boat anchor. It’s just the way it goes.

I think it’s much more likely Chia tries to patch some holes by getting an over-priced vet on an expiring deal this year, then offer-sheet the shit out of Jones or Trouba this summer.

I floated the idea before that drafting Jones’ brother may have been a tactic to entice Seth to accept an O/S.

Hey, the Flames acquired Hamilton’s brother shortly after trading for Douggie. Stuff like this happens and is a thing.

72. Johnny skid says:

Woodguy: I think WIN lets Buff walk and Trouba moves up a notch.

Don’t see him being available at all.

i agree…. i just think he would be an amazing choice for this team.

73. Mr. D. says:

We have 9 D. You need to technically move 3 to bring someone in.
    Davidson Reinhart and Gryba would need to go. Nurse is the only untouchable.
    Fayne Sekara Shultz and Ference have contract/ effectiveness issue and likely no suitors.
    Nikitan is still on the books with No takers.
    This is NOT GOING TO BE EASY.

74. Jaxon says:

How much would pry Michael Paliotta from the Columbus Blue Jackets? He’s Right handed, 22.5 years old, 6′-4″, 205 lbs. Played NCAA last season and 36 pts in 41 games for an NHLE of 30pts. This is similar numbers and similar player to Colton Parayko who is lighting it up for STL this season. Probably the best NHLE outside the NHL for a big RHD. He was part of the Saad deal from Chicago to CBJ last summer. If CBJ is in panic mode maybe he’s achievable. Columbus apparently wants a tough D to make life harder on opposing forwards. Would Gryba nab him?

75. Jaxon says:

I still like the idea of trading Schultz and Moroz to WSH for RW Riley Barber and RD Madison Bowey. Would probably have to take C Brooks Laich’s 4.5M contract back though (for this year and next).

76. leadfarmer says:

The time to trade for Jones was last year. The time to trade for Larson was two years ago. Good gms understand the need for good dmen. Once they hit their stride you have to wait for Free Agency or until they demand to be traded.

77. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: I think WIN lets Buff walk and Trouba moves up a notch.

Don’t see him being available at all.

Buff is definitely gone. They put all their efforts towards trying to sign Ladd this past summer.
    I think it’s 60-40 they both walk. 100% one of them does.

78. Jaxon says:

Purcell (they have very little experience on RW) and Musil (they’re reportedly looking for left handed D) to BUF for RD Mark Pysyk (from Edmonton) and either Justin Bailey (6’3 209lbs, father was a football player, played with Nurse on the Greyhounds last year), or Nicholas Baptiste (6’0″, 196lbs, played with McDavid last year in Erie).

HiddenDarts: Hey, I loves a good conversation, too, but remember that other blockbuster that happened this season?

Hmm.

Remember that trade of NHL player for NHL player earlier this season?

But this idea of the “trade assets for a just developing future#1 D” is completely insane! It ain’t gonna happen! EVER!! There was only one Milbury. There will not be another one!!!

Just please, spare the world another, something plus for Jones.

Hey, I know what I’m gonna do!

I’m going to a hockey blog and load up the thread that is specifically dedicated to spit balling trades that might happen next summer and then I’m going to tell everyone spare me their thoughts!!

Then I’m going to find a knitting club and tell them they can buy that stuff at Walmart for $10!! Spare me your needles!!

Then I’m going to adult education art class and tell everyone to not bother, they won’t be Rembrant! Spare me your brushes!!!

Then I’m going to driving range and tell everyone that they’ll never be on tour so why bother!!! Spare me your clubs!!

Stupid hobbyists, spare my your hobby!!!

Trading for more prospects isn’t a good idea. Edmonton is drunk with prospects.

81. kinger_OIL says:

– Last year after 15 games, the Oil were 5 points out of 8th

– this year they are 7 points out: when is their season officially over?

– 10 less goals against and 1 more goal scored: so some progress, but one less ROW, 3 pts less

– Rangers, Florida, Dallas and Colorada turned their seasons around last year, improved massively from here: I guess Oil could do same

– Suck level on high

kinger_OIL:
    – Last year after 15 games, the Oil were 5 points out of 8th

– this year they are 7 points out: when is their season officially over?

– Suck level on high

Jaxon:

Why would BUF trade a promising young Dman who plays a regular shift in the NHL for an expiring contract on an older player and slow LHD who’s been passed by others in the org?

I like Pysyk (although EDM should aim much higher, he’s a rookie and there are enough of those), but you won’t get him for spare parts.

He’s a developing 1st rounder who can play.

Think you could get Klef for Purcell and Musil?

84. smellyglove says:

kinger_OIL,

Thank you, sir.

Appreciate hearing from other sages in this forum on the matter of the hopefulness/direness of the season.

85. Harpers Hair says:

kinger_OIL:
    – Last year after 15 games, the Oil were 5 points out of 8th

– this year they are 7 points out: when is their season officially over?

– Suck level on high

The Oilers are only 5 points out of 3rd in the Pacific Division.

Not so dire but they would have to jump over San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona and Calgary to get there.

I would put my money on the Ducks.

86. oliveoilers says:

Has anybody thought about maybe putting a package together for Shea Weber? Maybe include some prospects and the rights to Omark?

Oh, and LT, your list appears to be nothing but RFAs. Were you aware of this?

87. kinger_OIL says:

Harpers Hair,

– True: I was just looking at it from last year’s format: i.e. top-8 per conference. So the rules have improved our chances, even though we are worse than last year: small consolation!

88. Alpine says:

Y’know, Cam Fowler’s underlying numbers aren’t bad considering he’s not sheltered at all. And he’s got offence. If he’s being parlayed around, he wouldn’t be a bad fit at all for cheaper pick up. Only issue is he’s left handed. He’s near guaranteed top 4 on this team.

89. square_wheels says:

Anyone else delighted to know Kessler scored his first goal of the season tonight and is a -10 on the season.

See, we’re not the only team with a 31yr old declining player with 6 years left.

I feel so good now.

Fuck Kessler and Burrows.

90. Alpine says:

Lowetide: I think most fans would be more accepting of the record IF they played a solid game for 60 minutes, complete with good goaltending. And I do believe they can do that, in fact, I’d bet Talbot steals a game or two before Christmas.

That’s what the Philly game was, or would have been if Neuvirth didn’t stand on his head. The Detroit game was similar. I dunno, I’ll take four more of those instead waiting for the perfect performance.

91. G Money says:

– Chiarelli has been noted a few times (Dreger was last as I recall) for being “aggressively” looking for upgrades on D via trade.

That nothing is happening should not be a surprise.

No one is trading anyone good in November unless it’s for a disastrously high price.

Look for a trade closer to the deadline. Until then, help is probably not coming from outside.

– The Oilers are set on the left side – Nurse, Klefbom, and Reinhart will patrol the d zone for the next decade. I don’t get the hate for Reinhart – he’s 14 games old and he’s already the best shutdown D this team has, or has had, for five years. Very little that is bad happens when he’s on the ice, at least in his vicinity. He makes Gryba look like an NHL defenseman. Yeesh.

There will, however, be rough nights between now and then. This is what happens when the left half of your D corps averages 21 years of age and about 35 games of experience.

– We need a right shooter on D.

I think Byfuglien goes to UFA, and I think Chia goes after him. Huge. Nasty. Right shot. Can once in a while play D at a ludicrously high level. Probably has two really good and another two OK years left (hopefully).

That plus a trade of picks and prospects and maybe the rights to Schultz for another younger D and that’s how things may shape up for next year. Nurse, Klef, Reinhart, Sekera, Buff, another new guy with some established ability

92. G Money says:

So many of our problems would go away, and we’d not be having this conversation, if both Sekera and Fayne were playing up to their established level of ability.

I still have hopes for Sekera – years of watching the game tells me that returning from a serious knee injury takes time, quite a bit more than 14 games.

I am losing hope on Fayne. I think in the end that’s why he’s being benched. Not because he’s worse than Gryba (though he probably was last night), but because with Gryba you know you’re getting what you can.

With Fayne, we need so much more, we’re not getting it, and that’s a real problem.

93. rickithebear says:

What fucking planet do you trade the 3rd most consistent G and point producer in the game for anything less than 1 to 1 D Value.

Fayne does have to be better, but consider this:

Last night 5v5:

Klef w/ Davidson 6:51 (0-7) 0%CF 1GA
    Klef w/Fayne 8:36 (8-7) 53% CF 2GA

I watched the 2nd goal about 100 times and I’m convinced that while Fanye didn’t dislodge the puck from Panarin, the biggest mistake was on Klef.

Fayne tries to stand Panarin at the line and misses, he then skates towards #15 who is unchecked on Fayne’s side of the ice.

RNH has Kane covered on the left side of the ice.

Klef stands in the middle backing up taking no one.

When Fayne peels back to his side it looks like a pretty normal play now that the skater is not in his zone and there is another player (#15) unchecked where he needs to be.

I don’t kill Fayne like most did on that goal.

Klef checks no one while backing up the whole time and RNH has Kane within Klef’s sight line. He doesn’t skate like he’s checking Kane anyhow, his eyes are on Panarin the whole time.

Here’s the goal: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2015020214-44-h

I wonder what they are “supposed” to do there.

Usually you don’t see Dmen chase the opposing winger to the other side of the ice, they retreat to their area and pick up a different check.

rickithebear:

Care to name the player names Ricki?

96. 719 says:

Alpine:

Would love Fowler, but wonder what the cost would be?

Maybe we can get an incremental upgrade on D? Something like Ferrence for Wideman or Nikitin for Coburn.

The play seems to be complete this year, and then try to acquire Spurgeon in a trade, or Buff as a UFA. Yes Buff has his warts (mainly too many penalties), but he is a top 10 Right D in this league.

After listening to the well thought out commentators here, I have to think Fualk, Larsson or Jones are not available and never were.

97. dustrock says:

I’m sure Chia and McLellan are looking at Burns for next year and no doubt Byfuglien.

People say don’t trade the ’16 1st for a UFA d-man but what about Snow who gambled on which pick Buffalo would take, or AA with the Blue Jays?

At some point, do you take a big gamble and tell the team you’re going for the playoffs? Look what it did for the Jays.

98. slopitch says:

If the play was to get Larson and Jones 2 years ago and it’s impossible to get them now then I can really see the oilers targeting Madison Bowey. Strong ties to the Oilers through Drai and the Kewlona Rockets. RHD. Capitals are loaded and ready to go. I’m not sure we have enough enticing vets to get it done though.

99. Harpers Hair says:

dustrock:

At some point, do you take a big gamble and tell the team you’re going for the playoffs?Look what it did for the Jays.

I can’t see any reason why San Jose would trade Burns.

100. slopitch says:

And I get the oilers are drunk with prospects but the way things are going Nurse and Reinhart will have a full season and Klefbom should be considered seasoned.

101. hunter1909 says:

Trolling Comment:

Chiarelli’s no fool. Something’s coming up, and whether soon or later that’s AOK with me.

Mclellan is another matter altogether. You can see him aging game, by game. Poor bastard.

Aside from McDavid, they can trade any of the other players. Personally I’d keep Hall.

102. Zeabs93 says:

dustrock:

The problem with that though is the Jays had great underylying numbers backing them up, the Oilers… not so much.

The Jays were an extremely unlucky .500 team when they made the trades, AA made a great bet and it paid off.

Man I’m gonna miss that guy.

103. Halfwise says:

I was watching Josh Manson, big RD for the Ducks tonight. Amusingly, he played for Salmon Arm but the Oilers failed to draft him.

104. Harpers Hair says:

Halfwise:

And Shea Theodore on the way.

105. Caramel Obvious says:

G Money,

If there was such a position as “shut down” D then maybe I’d like Reinhart more. But since there is no such position then your comment is a massive oversell. Just like there is no such position as “defensive” defenseman, and hence no reason for it take Reinhart longer to develop. All D have to play defense. Reinhart shouldn’t get bonus points for not being to do anything else.

People don’t like Reinhart because he has no upside. If you have a team of six Reinhart’s you aren’t going to make the playoffs. He’s not in the same galaxy as the guys mentioned in this thread. Now that’s right now so who knows what the future holds. But he’s not 18, there are many guys from his draft class who are good players right now.

106. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: lol. I like it better when we’re picking on Woodguy.

Or Bookje, that rat-bastard.

107. hunter1909 says:

Caramel I’d love to hate you. However, you do make a certain kind of point.

In the 70’s there was a player who played defence for the Montreal Canadiens. He looked about 55 years old, he never scored shit, and in 2015 parlance I wonder where he’d fit in. His name? Jacques Laperriere.

108. hunter1909 says:

Jacques Laperrier is the most insane, perfect, shut down defenceman in the history of the freaking universe.

109. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I watched the 2nd goal about 100 times

Good lord man, what do you feel you did to deserve that kind of punishment?!

And this question is coming from someone who actually remembers watching “Super Mario Brothers” the live-action movie starring Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo so I know a thing or two about self-flagellation if there’s ever a concern.

110. Genjutsu says:

The loss of Justin really has exposed what we all knew was the biggest weakness on this team RHD.

It has also shown his value to the team. For better or worse he is far and away the best RHD on the team.

Also I miss Petry more and more.

But I’d still rather have McDavid.

Going to have to wait till the summer, I’m afraid. It sucks to be out of the playoffs in November again. But the dead weight contracts meant it would take a ton of sevens to be rolled to have a real chance this year.

Losing your best RW, when you’re already light in RHS players, made it hard. Losing you best RHS DD, when you’re patheticallyweak there, kills.

Losing McDavid nuked the ashes.

111. jp says:

Jaxon:

ELLIOTTE FRIEDMAN article:

The kid sounds great, and I’d be very happy if the Oilers signed him.

But you must remember the last star KHL defenseman the Oilers brought over.

It’s probably best not to expect a savior for whoever signs him.

112. Centre of attention says:

Anyone see that BRUTAL giveaway by Getzlaf tonight? Pretty much gave the game away. The ducks looked beatable.

113. G Money says:

Caramel Obvious: If there was such a position as “shut down” D then maybe I’d like Reinhart more. But since there is no such position then your comment is a massive oversell.

I assume when you say this, you are describing the same mysterious game you describe when you declare there’s no such thing as a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pairing.

Whatever that game is, it’s not NHL hockey.

Perhaps when the cap is gone and talent levels have risen to the point where teams can deploy 6 all-tools defensemen every night, then your statement might be true. Meanwhile back in this universe, teams have to deploy all kinds of specialists to complement their one or two all-tools guys. That almost always includes a shutdown guy or three, a ‘big shot from the point’ powerplay specialist, an offensive defenseman, and so on.

Oh, and Nik Hjalmarsson, Johnny Oduya, Ron Hainsey, Willie Mitchell, Dennis Seidenberg, Jay Bouwmeester, and Jonas Brodin all say hi.

114. jp says:

Mr. D.:

I’m sorry, that’s just silly IMO.

Sekera and Schultz would most likely bring some sort of assets back. At very least their contracts could be moved without retaining salary or taking back a bad deal.

Fayne might require some retained salary or an exchange of under performing vets to make it work, but he could be moved too if the number of D is the only problem.

115. G Money says:

Jaxon,

The Oilers need to be in on that hunt for sure.

The first article I read did not include the Oilers name in the list of interested suitors. I’m glad to hear that we sent a scout to watch him.

116. Ryan says:

Caramel Obvious:
    G Money,

If there was such a position as “shut down” D then maybe I’d like Reinhart more.But since there is no such position then your comment is a massive oversell. Just like there is no such position as “defensive” defenseman, and hence no reason for it take Reinhart longer to develop.All D have to play defense.Reinhart shouldn’t get bonus points for not being to do anything else.

People don’t like Reinhart because he has no upside.If you have a team of six Reinhart’s you aren’t going to make the playoffs.He’s not in the same galaxy as the guys mentioned in this thread.Now that’s right now so who knows what the future holds.But he’s not 18, there are many guys from his draft class who are good players right now.

I’ve never been on board with the Reinhart deal for the reasons you’ve detailed.

Well, that and it smacked of an OBC deal to boot. Chiarelli looked like he was sitting on a thrombosed hemorrhoid when he announced the trade.

In today’s NHL, you need mobile dmen that can headman the puck and contribute some offense.

Now, I know I missed the memo when VOR and Gmoney killed Corsi for dmen, but I also haven’t yet received the memo about them also killing toi QOC.

117. G Money says:

Centre of attention,

I love the fact that the Ducks went out and got two giant douchebags in Kesler and Bieksa and now suck.

It’s probably not quite that direct a cause-effect relationship, but it makes me happy.

118. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Woodguy: Care to name the player names Ricki?

I think he means Keith Aulie for both. He is the GOAT to steal from the nba

119. Ryan says:

kinger_OIL:
    – Last year after 15 games, the Oil were 5 points out of 8th

– this year they are 7 points out: when is their season officially over?

– Suck level on high

Not that it would have been *crazy* to expect a team replete with four number one ov players to make the playoffs. 🙂

Tough schedule and bad luck aside, I didn’t expect the season to be over by December.

120. G Money says:

Ryan: but I also haven’t yet received the memo about them also killing toi QOC.

It’s WG and I that are trying to kill TOI QoC. Because it sucks ass. (It sucks ass less than any other QoC measure we’ve got, but it still sucks ass).

Ryan: Reinhart the ‘shutdown’ dman appears to be shutting down the dregs of the NHL according to woi’s Vollman.

And at 14 games in, you feel this is a problem because … ? We have no shortage of guys on this team that can’t shut anyone down, no matter their dreggish qualities.

Or is your standard for defensemen that a rookie saddled with Gryba as his partner should somehow be able to shut down the Sidney Crosby’s and Jon Toew’s of the world right out of the box, or they’re a failure?

[though in truth, Reinhart did just fine on a danger adjusted basis against every line but the Toews line. The Kane line didn’t get a sniff against him]

121. BONE207 says:

First time posting…long time reader. It seems everyone here wants to play GM and trade this guy for that guy. My question is how to we get these guys to play a full game? Do Hall, Nuge, Ebs, Nurse etc lack a fire in their bellies to end this run for the draft lottery year after year? If they can’t play 60 minutes regular season, how the hell will they ever survive a playoff game? How many trades do we need to achieve that?? ***Whips apron to the floor***

122. Ryan says:

G Money,

I am with Lowetide on this one.

Reinhart should have been a RHS with more experience. 🙂

123. G Money says:

Ryan,

On this we agree.

124. G Money says:

Ryan: Hunter has me down for 83 points, so I was never delusional about the playoffs this year.

I’m in for 82. I think the Oilers are on track for that still. They’re only a couple of points behind where I thought they’d be at this point (which given the injuries to Eberle, McDavid, Hendricks, Schultz … is probably par for the course).

Not sure if you follow Micah Blake McCurdy (@IneffectiveMath), but his Monte Carlo based seasonal points estimator (which uses a difficulty of schedule metric as its basis) has the Oilers on track for 81.2 points [minor LULZ at the precisely imprecise prediction].

125. G Money says:

BONE207,

Welcome, and I agree.

This teams fortunes start to turn around when they can figure out how to start playing when the puck drops, and not 10 or 20 minutes into the game down by two goals.

126. G Money says:

Weird that there is a single game on tonight, and a zillion tomorrow, and the Oilers are off both times.

Yet I got no programming done at all this evening, dammit!

Actually, that’s not a bad thing I guess.

DAMMIT!

127. BONE207 says:

G Money,

Thanks…Hall of Fame night tonight. BTW…great job you do with the statistical analysis.

128. delooper says:

I suggest taking a nap until around Christmas.

129. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Photo by Sarah Connor”

!!!!

We don’t have much time. Skynet will be online soon.

130. Frank the dog says:

Our most realistic scenario is a strong enough second half of the season to finish out of the lottery and out of the playoffs as well.
    I don’t mind that at all if it’s how we get to see this team playing as they should with CMD and Schultz back, and the lines all.sorted with the best players available playing every game in their most effective position. Sad to say that is like our sweet spot under current circumstances.
    TMac is a great coach doing the best be can with what he has and whatever direction be has been given. Same for Chia in the GM role. The crap they and we are enduring is on the owner and his cronies.

131. böök¡je says:

Hey LT, I’m a little Surprised that you didn’t include Scarlett Johansson in your list.

132. GCW_69 says:

There was a window when Kulikov was probably gettable – rough contract negotiations followed by a coach that didn’t value him as much as he probably should. Larsson might have been gettable early last season, but tougher to get now.

Gotta find a team with need that undervalues the players it has (why can’t MacT get a job with other team? Or Tambo?).

NJ is always possible because thier forward group is such as mess, but the price will still be high.

Outside of Jersey, the challenge is finding NHL defenders between 100 – 300 games played that aren’t critical to the team they play for now.

Or maybe Cam Fowler.

133. Kmart99 says:

RE: Panarin’s 2nd Goal

Not sure that’s anyone’s fault other than Talbot.
    Fayne stands up Panarin, forcing him to turn or dump the puck, he decides to cut to the middle. This gives Hall enough time to catch Panarin but he is a 1/4 step too late. Klefbom backs off in case Panarin beats Fayne wide. If Klefbom plays the blue line too aggressively there he risks Panarin having a free lane to skate it right to the net.

The play Panarin made is an easy one, and I’d argue less dangerous than the shot taken by CGY with 8 secs left. He cuts to the middle and fires a wristers from miles away. Even if it changes direction Talbot has some time to adjust from that distance. The goal is almost entirely on Talbot. IMO.

Crawford + a slow start cost the Oilers the game.

The Oilers ended with 18 scoring chances that game, at least 6 of which were extremely high Danger (if that even exists) and scored twice. The Hawks ended with 9, maybe 2 of which were really great and they scored 4 times.

If the Oilers get anything resembling a playoff goalie they win that game. The only question is whether or not Chicago would have turned things around if the Oil scored early in the second. Either way, 22-6 is beyond score effects.

-8 after 15 games against almost exclusively top teams is not horrendous. It’s bad, but not horrawful.

I said .300 after 20, and bet WG that the Oil would be closer to .300 than .400 after 20gp not because they’re as bad as theyve ever been, but because we knew what we had with this D core, and we knew the schedule after twenty. I expect 12 wins after thirty games. TMac does have the Dzone cleaned up a bit, and our goalies have set a low bar to beat. One of Nilsson and Talbot will get the team sv% above .910 and everyone will rejoice. Anythjng above 77pts should be considered a successful season. Especially with CMD missing 30ish games.

If the Oil are 6-13-1 at the 20 gp mark, expect another 6-7 wins between games 21-30. That is the stretch where they make hay. If they pull a miraculous 8 wins out of it, they could save the season.

134. Jaxon says:

jp,

True, but 27 yr old “star” D from KHL and 24 yr old 1st Team All Star are significantly different. Zaitsev, by this metric, is top 2 D in KHL. Belov never made into the top 12 D in the KHL in his career (has never been selected to play in the All Star game (6D per team). Also 4th Overall KHL pick is pretty good draft pedigree. It puts him in some pretty sweet company with players like Sami Vatanen (#2), Nikita Zadorov (#4), Aleksander Barkov (#2), M Grigorenko (#8), A Vasilevski (#7), Anton Slepyshev (#1), D Jaskin (#1), Radek Faksa (#7).

Also, I don’t think Belov was a saviour, but he should have gotten a better chance here. Maybe a different coach at the time and he’d be a solid contributor today. Hard to say. If I recall, I think his underlying numbers were decent on a shitty team.

135. PhrankLee says:

I with you. I’m down for 82 points. Reason being they need to reach that level of improvement this year if they want to have a hope in hell to reach playoffs next year.

They cannot go from DFL to top 8 in the West over a single summer. It needs to improve to .500 hockey this year for next year to be a viable playoff shot.

136. Jaxon says:

Woodguy,

You’re absolutely correct. A reach on my part. Would have been more achievable before the season started as I don’t think he would have been considered a regular yet. That said, comparing Klefbom to Pysyk is a big reach as well. They’re not even close. They are both 1st round picks, but Klefbom has more offence and is more physical. Pysyk is only 187lbs. Klefbom is 209lbs. Pysyk hasn’t been able to bring his offence to the AHL or NHL. Klefbom spent a North American adjustment season in the AHL. The following season he started in the AHL with 8pts in 9gp before being called up for good. Pysyk has been up and down for 3 years and is 1 year older and didn’t face the injury problems that slowed Klefbom’s development. Actually when you look at stats Pysyk is closer to Musil, but again Musil brings a physical game that Pysyk does not. Musil is left handed and that is what BUF is looking for right now. Klefbom is potential #1 D, whereas it looks like Pysyk needs to improve still to crack a good lineup fulltime. Pysyk has potential but he has to prove it soon. I don’t think he has proved it yet in BUF. He’s getting 3rd pairing minutes with Bogosian and Coliacovo out of the lineup right now. When they return he could be very well back in the AHL just like Musil. Would Davidson be more like it? Or is that too much for too little?

137. Water Fire says:

Hmm.

Remember that trade of NHL player for NHL player earlier this season?

Just please, spare the world another, something plus for Jones.

Doug Hamilton.

They don’t happen often. The thing is you can’t go #2 in a bag and plop it on a guy’s desk and ask for his best player, and then laugh in his face at his counter offer, as was likely the MO ’till now. Also, some GM’s are thick and some lose their heads, you just have to know what you want and be ready which the Oilers never did/were until know.

Faulk? Sure. If you offer Drai or Eberle and Fayne and a first and keep money, any GM has to think about it. Would it gut the team? If Faulk is for real the Oilers probably win that trade.

They don’t need developing top 6 forwards or defence and that’s all the draft would bring, Fayne is an easterner, a puck moving RHD that can play first minutes is worth more than a good second line centre or any winger other than Ovechkin.

The question is whether Faulk is that good. The Oilers don’t have much luck here at the moment. Our two Eastern conference UFA’s currently aren’t exactly knocking out of the park. If you overpay you’d better be right.

Chiarelli, give MacT a gonch pull today please. Over the head and under the chin for good measure.

138. Water Fire says:

G Money: Hidden

Also he might not come all the way back, hoping for the best. I have said before if he was behind on training we won’t see him play well until next year.

139. jp says:

Jaxon:
    jp,

If i recall, Belov was called the best Dman in the KHL by some at least, despite no all star appearances. He was also a top player on Russian World Championship teams (both before and after his NHL stint). Zaitsev has barely gotten a sniff with the Sr national team.

Otherwise i agree with you. Just saying those guys that look good from afar don’t always work out.

Ryan:
    G Money,

I am with Lowetide on this one.

Reinhart should have been a RHS with more experience.

“Perfect is the enemy of the good.”

Continuous improvement vs. waiting for a miracle.

Arguably, McDavid was a miracle. Reinhart was continuous improvement.

141. Jaxon says:

jp,

Don’t rain on my latest saviour parade. We need more saviours! Haha. Zaitsev and everything will be just fine. McJesus and Zaitsaviour.

142. BustedSoulO says:

Frank the dog:
    We have a great core, a competent management team and a top tier head coach. They are figuring out the team’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Most of the team just needs to mature and gain experience in the system and working with each other.What needs to get done will get done, and we will get to see as the team improves, quarter by quarter.
    just don’t expect the playoffs, and you will be ok.

!!!THIS!!!