G22 2015-16: OILERS AT HURRICANES

Anders Nilsson owns an even-strength save percentage of .914 this season, that’s good for No. 33 among goalies who have played 10 or more games. Ben Scrivens even-strength a year ago? .897. Victor Fasth? .896.

THE NASTY, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 3-5-1
  • Oilers after 21 in 2014-15: 6-13-2, 14 points (-31 GD)
  • Oilers after 21 in 2015-16: 7-13-1, 15 points (-9 GD)

Game 22 last season was a loss, but a solid effort on the road against the Dallas Stars.

It would have to be a three-way deal to my eye. Edmonton gets Hamonic, NY Islanders acquire a plug and play defender and the other team takes a forward, prospect and or picks from Edmonton. Candidates? Fayne and a pick? Does that get something done? I’m running the prospect list now and nothing rhymes unless the Oilers decide to do something stupid and Chiarelli won’t trade Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl or Darnell Nurse. The others? They don’t get you there.

Among veterans, I don’t think PC trades Hall, Nuge, Sekera, Klefbom (heh, veteran!) and probably not Jordan Eberle before McDavid gets 20 games in with 14 starboard. Who is the best player not on that list? Probably Benoit Pouliot. I like him plenty. Something around Mark Fayne and a valuable draft pick, seems to me, is the highest value Chiarelli has to offer.

If the Oilers run the same lineup (Nilsson is already named as starting G) I’d be pleased—although it would be nice to see Anton Lander draw back in over LG. We’ll see. I really like the defense right now and Purcell’s adding to the top line. If the Nuge line can cash tonight, I like the Oilers chances of having a handsome road trip.

THE BLUE, THROUGH 21

oilers blue g1 through 21

Klefbom—Fayne is strong now, they’ve tightened like Archie Bell and the Drells. Todd McLellan made a point of mentioning the second pair (Nurse—Sekera). The third pairing is good, and the entire crew is good enough to have me genuinely worried when Justin Schultz draws back in against the Detroit wheels. Klefbom has been a revelation without JSchultz, hope Todd McLellan sees it that way, too. The Davidson rel shines like a freaking beacon.

Check out the offense from Klefbom, Davidson, Sekera and Nurse. Some solid boxcars this season. Who would you call the MVP among the defensive group in the first 21? I’ll go Klefbom, for the range of skills, but you could argue for a couple more men in this group. Another 60 games from Sekera like the last one and he’ll slide into the ‘Pouliot’ file of free-agent signings.

THE FORWARDS, THROUGH 21

oilers forwards g1 through g 21

MVP among this group? I’ll go Hall, but OH MY the runs by McDavid and Leon will live on in my memory for a long damn time. Lordy. Jordan Eberle didn’t play a lot in this first 21, but seems to be finding the range now. Todd McLellan will need to figure out the bottom 6F and I think we might see something happen there sooner than later. Maybe McDavid plays New Year’s eve and scores twice, sings Auld Lang Syne and drives everyone home in an Uber. When he does return, picture this on a day in December:

JAN THREE LINES

Look right? That 3line LW needs to be more skilled, but that’s for next season. I wonder if they consider running Hendricks with Nuge and Eberle, and we could see 14 move up to the McDavid line right away. Can these three lines average 70 goals each? Thoughts? Come on, SlepSlappy!!

mclellan capture may 19

• Todd McLellan: “I see growth in young players, and I see old dogs learning new tricks.” Source

The goal differential doesn’t match the won-loss record, and the verbal is decidedly upbeat for a team this deep in the second division. A win tonight gets Edmonton even with the Godless Flames, the Avalanche and ahead of the Blue Jackets depending on other scores tonight. The fun starts when Edmonton gets on a bit of a roll, because the division standings offer the real meat of the season:

pac7

One of the key indicators (goal differential) has Edmonton ranked No. 5 in the division and a win tonight moves the Oilers within five points of a playoff spot. It’s vital to get some points this trip, stay within reach of Van. The easier schedule and the return of McDavid should allow this team to romp a little in the new year.

Ahem. If the Oilers are looking for a fourth uniform (their third is perfect, talk of retiring it will not be tolerated) this item is a fabulous novelty. I believe it’s for charity and the Slap Shot feel to the photo adds to its look. Well done, Oilers!

2016 DRAFT

2016 early look london

Central Scouting has issued a new ‘players to watch’ list and the London Knights have an insane group of prospects this year. Early days, and we won’t get into this for some time (January at the earliest) but this is the first list that shows the depth of some of these teams and leagues. The USHL group is mammoth. I’m impressed with this Olli Juolevi fellow, you can read about him here.

hoffs

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy show, 10 this morning on TSN1260. We will have open line time too, so call or text in! Scheduled to appear:

• Dustin Nielson, TSN1260. Live from Winnipeg, we’ll talk Grey Cup and Dusty’s experiences in Manitoba.
  • Dan Auchenberg, Sherwood Park Fury. Turned around the program in a heartbeat, we’ll talk about the women’s program overall and his team specifically. There are a lot of opportunities for women’s hockey in the USA, we’ll chat about it.
  • Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. The wise McCurdy will drop in to discuss Nilsson, the blue, the Yak and the night Raleigh broke our hearts. We’ll talk some football, too.
  • Dave Jamieson, TSN1260. Dave will regale us with more Grey Cup week stories, God they’re funny.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. 90 minutes away!

440 Responses to "G22 2015-16: OILERS AT HURRICANES"

« Older Comments
  1. Pouzar says:

Lackadaisical: To what end, if I may inquire?

Project Mgt Certificate.

First course of eight. The it’s the PMP cert.

2. Gerta Rauss says:

TMac post game audio

-we weren’t engaged physically, we were outworked, I don’t care how big you are, I don’t even care how skilled you are, it’s the determination factor that I’m looking for, and I didn’t think we were a very determined team

-as the game wore on, they pushed, and we got pushed

-when the 2nd period started, when the gun went off, they were ready to race, and we wanted to stand back and watch what they would to do

3. BONE207 says:

Hey guys…I missed this game due to work but from now on, I’m going to PVR every game and follow along with the posts. You guys are hilarious. I get play by play, humor and best of all, I don’t have to see the carnage on the ice. Lowetide, you have got to write a book about this team for at least the last 5 years if not all 10. Although, I realize that it would most likely be done in a padded room cause no reality based tome could truly capture this amount of insanity. Looking forward to the next game right here.

4. Halfwise says:

Gerta Rauss:
    TMac post game audio

-as the game wore on, they pushed, and we got pushed

The good news is that the coach saw the same game most of us did.

He also warned us that the team would not get better in a straight line.

But man, this team takes a toll on its fans including, in my case, its fans’ kidneys and liver. I may have to detox and it’s still fricking November.

5. Gerta Rauss says:

I saw Elias Lindholm good tonight-he was the guy I wanted in the 2013 draft. Nice player

That late goal in the first period was a killer

6. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar,

Lackadaisical: To what end, if I may inquire?

Can the ref get a double minor for intent to injure?

7. Lackadaisical says:

Pouzar,

Ah, I thought you meant NHL rules!

It’s worth having anything that opens more doors, or gets HR to back off. Good luck to you!

Centre of attention,

Can the ref get a double minor for intent to injure?

Actually burst out loud on that one. My roommates probably think I’m Bipolar now 😀

8. JDï™ says:

vishcosity,

Ah good. Fresh putty.

The direct VLC links for the Barons games work well, but I’ve never been able to find links for the big league that work like that. I know where to find them though.

All of the links I find for games are at https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/new/ which is sorted for new submissions first – handy when you’re looking for a game that night.. Within each game day link, you’ll find VLC links posted directly, but I’ve never had much luck with those – maybe you can figure that out. I mostly use the YT links when they’re available.

Then there’s this: https://www.reddit.com/r/lazyman – and I see there’s a new version out, but I haven’t tried that because mine is working. It’s a pretty slick streaming setup when you get it working though, but that can be a little difficult.

All of this might come to an end soon, as the MLB people are taking over the streaming biz for the NHL in January. And as you can imagine, any group with their OWN SATELLITE must know what they’re doing.

9. Gerta Rauss says:

Halfwise,

Yeah, Mclellan is spot on

The losses are piling up and it’s frustrating as hell, but it’s easier to digest knowing that this coaching staff is in charge

The roster adjustments will come-they may take until next summer, but make no mistake,they will come,

10. Pouzar says:

Lackadaisical:
    Pouzar,

Ah, I thought you meant NHL rules!

It’s worth having anything that opens more doors, or gets HR to back off.Good luck to you!

Hoping it opens some doors indeed. thx

11. JDï™ says:

Halfwise: The good news is that the coach saw the same game most of us did.

The bad news is that he had a front-row seat for it. I wonder how much Jack it takes to wash that away?

12. Lackadaisical says:

JDï™,

Pretty sure that about sums it up!

EDIT- Apparently #t= doesn’t work with the pop up. /shrug

13. Colieo87 says:

JDï™,

If anyone wants to contact me on how to stream sports for free over laptop. Tablet, or phone. Windows or andriod for free email to colecadieux@gmail.com

14. JDï™ says:

Colieo87,

Do we have to sit through a time-share presentation first?

I’m good for now. We’ll see after January though. Vishcosity might come calling.

15. vishcosity says:

JDï™,

This all looks like linux to me.

I’m going to mess with it over the weekend from the ubuntu thing and I’ll let you know what i find.

Thanks for the tips.

US Thanksgiving. We just finished our vineyard contract and are spending the weekend in an architect’s office. Its a four story penthouse across from the Mendocino Courthouse and the Euro boss man put in an artist’s residence. I just fucking love California. A hot tub on the roof and a bathroom on all 4 floors. ruff architect .com

Our vineyard client wants a real website. Anyone with skills looking for work?

16. Loyal2theoil says:

I dont want to make a far-fetched statement but to me it seemz Eberle is slowing the play down when he has the puck instead of speeding the play up like usual. He had a couple good shifts but that was it.

Anybody else see the same thing or?…

17. Colieo87 says:

Twenty twelve has to be a shitty draft year.

Although technically they only placed 2.5 years of hockey. So another 2.5* years to find out

18. Frank the dog says:

The worse they do now the less the owner has to keep his foot on the brakes – making them send good players down, refusing to approve trades etc – to keep them out of the playoffs in the latter part of the season.
    That would explain why this team has always improved a bit once all hope has been lost for the playoffs.
    Better than just accepting that this team cannot function competitively no matter which coach or goalie they get.

19. Lackadaisical says:

Loyal2theoil,

I love Ebs, but I don’t think we’ve seen him “good” this year. Not for an entire game, surely. :S

20. Halfwise says:

Lackadaisical:
    Loyal2theoil,

I love Ebs, but I don’t think we’ve seen him “good” this year.Not for an entire game, surely.:S

The injury kept him out of the early season cauldron where a lot of guys learned under pressure. But maybe he is also having Yak-like symptoms of having to learn big-boy systematic hockey at the NHL level — while actually playing against large men who know how it’s done — and it is still at the “conscious not competent” stage.

He’s creative and talented but Coach needs structure and people who will position themselves in useful ways at both ends of the rink. So we see his weaknesses more than his strengths. I hope and expect this will pass but right now it’s not that entertaining.

21. Lackadaisical says:

Halfwise,

Well said! Couldn’t agree more.

Goodnight everyone. Tomorrow holds better days!

22. Yeti says:

Shit. I hate getting up in the morning to find the Oilers got creamed.

23. cabbiesmacker says:

Frank the dog:

Nelson didn’t have close to the current roster to work with and still had them showing improvement in the standings.

Add two goalies better than last years versions. Add a Dman or two. Have McDavid for a dozen games. A healthy Hall. etc etc ad nauseum.

Yak has regressed. Lander has regressed. Eberle? Juries out.

But nope. Oilers had to make a coaching move. Not that Nelson was staying anyways.. but still.

24. Lewis Grant says:

You know, LT, that’s a great idea. Who else has this combination?
    1) encyclopedic knowledge of the Oilers present and past,
    2) the media independence to tell the story straight (while yet managing to stay out of the brilliantly embittered Ben Massey gutter of cynicism*)
    3) the sounding board of the blogosphere’s most intelligent (if still typically bipolar) fanbase, and
    4) the creative turn of phrase. (If you disagree, maybe you could work with Pat McLean to write the introductions for each chapter).

You could turn this decade of downers into engaging reading. It would be cathartic. And it would be a good representation of what is by far the most intelligent (and long-suffering) NHL blog fan base in existence.

Think about it.

*I’d still happily devour a book by Ben Massey too, but I think it would be far too dark for the general public. Mark Steyn can get away with saying the same kinds of things only because he can do it more light-heartedly.

25. dustrock says:

HFB is hard to read right now. I’m used to people losing their shit after stinkers like this but the sad ennui is more emotionally affecting. And if HF Oilers can’t emotionally react then that’s a bad sign.

26. admiralmark says:

cabbiesmacker: I think they functioned quite well under Todd Nelson actually. Especially when you consider the roster he had to work with during his term.

Yak has regressed. Lander has regressed. Eberle? Juries out.

Yup it’s the coach. Definitely the coach.

27. Gret99zky says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Halfwise,

Mmmmmm, summer.

We always win the summer.

28. cabbiesmacker says:

admiralmark: Yup it’s the coach. Definitely the coach.

I never said it was all on the coach. Try rereading the op’s comment thoroughly.

Then you can explain in detail why the Oilers sit where they do in the standings despite the changes that have been made if you like. Or how they’re getting more bang for the buck this season.

29. Frank the dog says:

For the first time on in I don’t know how long I decided to actually watch this game live instead of pvr”Ing and then following the box score from time to time and then watching the advert free game where warranted.
    Well that didn’t go so well. I’m going to ignore them so they win a few.

30. v4ance says:

I didn’t see anyone else mention it but I saw Pouliot taking the draws on the left circle in the offensive zone instead of RNH. Was there any mention of RNH having a slight injury or something that prevented him from taking the draws?

31. kinger_OIL says:

– I wish I saw period 2 and three, because except for the mini-tire fire that let in the goal at the end of the first period, they actually looked really good, nice PP Goal, etc

– What happened in 2 and 3: did they miss Yak that much? I put my kids to bed just after that, fell asleep then woke up to see 4-1? Only 1 period of try?

32. dustrock says:

20 games in, and as I said yesterday morning, who knows which Oilers team is going to show up on a nightly basis? Not even McLellan knows.

33. Pouzar says:

Time for the ever elusive 3 for 1.

Doesn’t sound like the Yak injury is serious. Can’t remember who tweeted it.

34. Pouzar says:

dustrock,

Just curious man, why do you bother with HFBoards?
    You are too f^ckin smart for that insane asylum.

35. GCW_69 says:

For me this is the most depressing loss of the year.

If the team had bought out Ference, flushed Schultz, avoided Korpse and traded Gordon for futures instead, they would have had some $9.5m in additional cap space to work with. Even if they had had to retain half of Gordon’s salary, that would be $8m plus the cap space they had entering the season, say about $2m, for about $10m, plus three additional roster spots.

With that they could have outbid the flyers for Nuevirth, signed Franson, and grabbed Boyes and Upshall to bolster the team forward depth with responsible veterans with good history of possession numbers and secondary scoring without hurting the team’s cap position post McDavid’s ELC. Franson, Boyes and Upshall all signed late, so it’s not reasonable to say they would not have signed in Edmonton with a compelling offer.

Adding those four players wouldn’t have made this a playoff team, but it likely would have made it damn more competitive.

So fucking frustrating.

36. vishcosity says:

Got a call last night from a buddy in Edmonton. He was just instructed to lay off half his staff before Christmas. Says its worse than 1995. So I think I should probably post this here first.

HELP WANTED (can work from home):

Website developer needed. No shopping carts, no client login, no flames fans. Alcohol related.

I need someone to design a system that can offer different sized photos based on the viewer’s device. I want it to store different sized versions of the same images instead of having their machine load giant files and scale down. For the desktop version I want it to be able to load the next image(s) into a buffer for the slide show. Finally, I kinda want to use adobe brackets but that’s negotiable. I think I can get US$3K for the first one then sell the system a couple more times.

To architects that can relocate to northern California, I know three firms looking.

QE money has purchased probably 10% of all Sonoma vineyards, with most of the money staying local. The sellers are building new vineyards and spending funds they can’t possibly hope to recover. $100K/acre in soil engineering. Board poured concrete buttresses in underground caves. They’re moving north and west to where the pinot noir’s grow, they’re planting root balls then splicing in heat resistant varietals later. The whole gig is building on the highway so tourists drop in then order cases to be shipped future. Steve Kistler would take cheques for cases at $135/bottle and then ship when finished. When the wine ran out they’d mail back the rest of the stack of cheques. They eventually changed it to a lottery so that the new people even had a chance then sold the business and built a new one on a sheep farm near Bodega on credit over the last ten years (for a fraction of what it would cost now) then two years ago he sold the brand. I think prices here are about 20% higher than last year.

One vineyard is soon going up for sale. It has a natural reservoir that is now exempt from water storage legislation, and that is only because the current owner is a lawyer from Berkeley and he spent $30K of his own money to fight their attempted land seizure. I have no idea what its worth, but if I had $100M I’d probably buy it.

Contact us at ramsayphotography .com Our site has the same issues described, but we did just update our portfolio and I think that is pretty fun.

37. lynn says:

Pouzar:
    dustrock,

Just curious man, why do you bother with HFBoards?
    You are too f^ckin smart for that insane asylum.

38. JDï™ says:

Pouzar: why do you bother with HFBoards?

Heck – I can’t bring myself to go to ON.

39. Pouzar says:

lynn: The majority of Oiler fans don’t care about fancy stats. They respond to what they see. HF is a good place to vent.

It has ZERO to do with fancy stats.

Who ARE these people???