OILERS NO. 16 PROSPECT (winter 2015): WILLIAM LAGESSON

Peter Chiarelli will like William Lagesson, because he is physical, skates well and has a good frame. He needs to work on his coverage, but you can say that about every man on this list. One problem for the young Swede: We are at No. 16 on the Top 20 list, and Lagesson is is the seventh defenseman among the top 15, and the sixth left-handed blue (Nurse, Reinhart, Davidson, Jones, Paigin, now Lagesson). With Andrej Sekera and Oscar Klefbom already established with the big club, there is a lot of competition for this player.

lagesson4

PREVIOUSLY NO. 16 ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2004: L Brock Radunske (0) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2005: L Slava Trukhno (0) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2006: D Theo Peckham (160) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2007: D Mathieu Roy (66) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2008: L Teemu Hartikainen (52) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2009: L Toni Rajala (0) (GM: Steve Tambellini)
  • December 2010: D Taylor Chorney (87) (GM: Kevin Lowe)
  • December 2011: G Frans Tuohimaa (0) (GM: Steve Tambellini)
  • December 2012: G Olivier Roy (0) (GM: Steve Tambellini)
  • December 2013: R John McCarron (0) (GM: Steve Tambellini)

We are now well into the land of the distant bells, the blacktop long gone and at this point in the road, electricity and indoor plumbing are a luxury. Theo Peckham could have had a career in my opinion, but it was derailed by the errors of youth. One note: Just because we are talking about failed propsects, many of these names were at one time valuable draft picks. Brock Radunske (No. 74 overall), Theo Peckham (No. 75 overall) and Taylor Chorney (No. 36) were all chosen when real value should have been the expected return.

lagesson (2)

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

• Corey Pronman: “He’s a guy I had rated around 60. I’ve seen him play well many times, he’s a player I really like. At the U-18 level, in the tournament in February and in April, he was a top player for Sweden U-18s). He’s a physical defenseman he skates well and defends well. I don’t think he’s a sterling offensive player, but he has average puck moving ability. He won’t be in the World Juniors this year. I think this is a guy who is going to be a very good prospect and the Oilers got good value where they picked them.”
  • ISS: Lagesson shows traits of a good two-way defender with some intrigue in the offensive zone as he displayed flashes of a big shot. Good mobility, foot speed and overall skating ability for a defenseman of his size. Good presence on the offensive  point, great shot that he is able to get through traffic and keeps it fairly low to the ground. Good release, doesn’t need a full wind-up to get pucks off. Physicality should be a bigger facet to his game to give him that defensive upside and promise that he shows on the puck. William shows a good basis for the two-way game with a good shot and mobility when running the offensive point.
  • McKeens: A favourite of coach Andres Eriksen at the 2014 World U18 Championships; Lagesson played quality minutes and finished the tournament with three goals .. a scrappy, physical hard-nosed competitor who competes for every inch on the ice .. an ‘in your face’type of defender who reacts quickly to loose pucks and is able to identify threats. Feet are subpar especially when defending in a reverse movement, resorting to skating forward which makes him easy to blow by .. speed and power is not quitethere yet despite having a short, stocky build with a developed core ..plays with sand paper and is not unlike Ulf Samuellson in his abilityto get under the opponents skin to goad them into penalties.
  • Elite Prospects: A strong defenseman that can put up some points, but plays more convincingly in his own zone. Likes to get involved in the rough stuff and has a pretty good physical game. Strong positionally, but could work some on his skating skills. (EP 2014)
  • Stu MacGregor: “He makes a good first pass and has some hockey sense but I can’t emphasize how much he wants to battle and compete. One-on-one he’s a warrior. Doesn’t hurt that he’s coming over here to get used to the ice surface. He’s probably going to college after Dubuque.”
  • Martin Lunden: “Solid pick at 91. made a huge impact in with jr team. 1st team coach loves him (former U20coach Rönnmark). good size, average+ puck handling. He doesn’t stand out in the SHL, but he’s a 17 y/o playing with men so no wonder. He doesn’t make a fool out of himself though..”

lagesson3

PREVIOUS TOP 20 RANKING

• Summer 2014: No. 13
  • Winter 2014: No. 15
  • Summer 2015: No. 20
  • Winter 2015: No. 16

Lagesson does not possess a strong offensive dynamic, so his ability to climb this list is limited. That said, I do value things like being named to National teams and Lagesson is on Sweden’s radar for all major tournaments.

• Lagesson on being part of Sweden’s WJ team, January 2015: “I’m really excited about it. It’s a great opportunity for me, and it’s going to be a great experience. I was a little surprised at first, but the (Team Sweden) coach came over and watched one of our games about two weeks ago, and that’s when I kind of knew I had a chance to make the team.” Source

2015-16

• U. Massachusetts hockey coach John Micheletto: “There’s a lot to like in (Lagesson)’s game. He’s a prototypical two-way defenseman that we value here. Mobile and smart enough to defend on the big ice, but also can use those tools to exploit the big ice on offense.” Source
  • His D partner at UMass, Ivan Chukarov: “He’s really reliable. He’s aggressive, strong on his feet. “Also, he’s really smart with moving the puck. Sweden is getting a top-notch defenseman. He makes it easy playing with him.” Source

THE FUTURE

Lagesson is an extremely interesting prospect. His NHLE this year (82GP, 3-7-10) does not inspire, but the scouting reports and ongoing verbal surrounding the player suggest he should be held in high regard. You only get snapshots of these kids during summer camp (D William Lagesson. Taller and bigger than I thought he’d be, wiry kid, smooth skater. I like him) and so much depends on their personal development. We can hope for more offense, but the scouting reports and the results since his draft march in lock step in this area.

THE 2014 DRAFT

• Leon Draisaitl No. 3 overall and turning into an impact player before our eyes. Has now passed 50 NHL games, so is officially a graduate from the list and will not appear on the summer edition. Fantastic picks, Mr. MacTavish and Mr. MacGregor. No. 2 prospect, Winter 2015.
  • William Lagesson No. 91 overall and starting well in his freshman NCAA season (18GP, 2-4-6). Most of his value will be defensive and his inclusion again on the Swedish national team for the WJs is another positive arrow. No. 16 prospect, Winter 2016.
  • Zach Nagelvoort No. 111 overall and the return in the Mike Brown trade. He started the season slowly, and has only mildly recovered. A candidate for the Winter top 20.
  • Liam Coughlin No. 130 overall and is now part of the Chicago Blackhawks prospect umbrella. Peter Chiarelli dealt him to the ‘Hawks for goalie Anders Nilsson. No longer in organization.
  • Tyler Vesel No. 153 overall and not making offensive progress in his sophomore NCAA season.  A candidate for the Winter top 20.
  • Keven Bouchard No. 183 overall and started the year 9GP, 4.86 .839. Since then, he is 3.30, .904. A candidate for the Winter top 20.

47 Responses to "OILERS NO. 16 PROSPECT (winter 2015): WILLIAM LAGESSON"

1. bendelson says:

I would never have guessed the Liam Coughlin pick at #130 would be having such a positive impact on the Oilers, less than two years after the draft. Huge surprise.

bendelson:
    I would never have guessed the Liam Coughlin pick at #130 would be having such a positive impact on the Oilers, less than two years after the draft.Huge surprise.

3. bendelson says:

Lowetide: Agreed. It also points to the value of trading picks for players who can be of more immediate help. As frustrated as people may be about the Scrivens and Talbot deals, they were bets just like the Nilsson deal.

As frustrated as some may be with the Scrivens and/or Talbot deals, I think it’s the Reinhart deal that is of far greater concern to many… and there is no definitive answer coming anytime soon. We wait.

4. marty62 says:

I dont think the either the Talbot or Scrivens story is done yet. Still some interesting twists and turns there yet…..

marty62: I dont think the either theTalbot or Scrivens story is done yet. Still some interesting twists and turns there yet…..

Yes. I still think there is a good chance Talbot ends up as the starter here.

6. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Yes. I still think there is a good chance Talbot ends up as the starter here.

If Talbot struggles on this road trip does he get a contract in January?

7. "Steve Smith" says:

Centre of attention: If Talbot struggles on this road trip does he get a contract in January?

No. I don’t think the Oilers re-up Talbot before the end of the season, if at all.

I’d actually kind of applaud a doubling-down on Talbot on a three year extension at reasonable money, on the basis that he may never be cheaper than he is January 1, but I’d be very surprised if the Oilers extend him without being reasonably confident that he’s at least 1A material, which they clearly can’t be on the basis of his performance so far this year.

At this point, I don’t think he gets a contract even if he plays well. Not in January.

9. marty62 says:

There are still 52 games left to play this year. Thats alot of hockey. I wouldnt count Talbot out, but I agree with LT, I dont think Chia will be handing any contracts out in Jan……..

10. Dr. Taboggan says:

Hey LT,
    I have a question for you (my apologies if it has been answered previously). When did this blog officially start? And what was your motivation to start the blog?

11. "Steve Smith" says:

Dr. Taboggan:

Hey LT,

1. The origins of the blog date back to sometime in the late 1980s, when Lowetide started scrawling his deepest thoughts down on napkins and shouting them at passersby – “This is Ilya Byakin!” he’d scrawl. “In a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides if, and only if, Stan Weir wills it!” he’d shriek. His audience was limited (to his immediate family and to DSF, who had been following Lowetide around mischaracterizing his arguments since 1973) until he was introduced to the Blogger platform during the 2004-2005 lockout. This blog, in something approximating its present form, appeared online shortly thereafter, but it did not officially start until the February 6, 2014 Grand Opening sale.

2. Lowetide woke up one morning and decided that he wanted to become a local sports media icon – essentially, his motivation was pure narcissism.

Dr. Taboggan:

Hey LT,

It started in 2004, I lost the first three years because I hit a wrong button trying to transfer it (or what I thought would do it). I spent the late 1990s and early 2000s as a commenter and mod on hf, mostly because I couldnt go out at night as much because we had little babies who were growing up.

So, my daughter is about seven and asks if she can blog. I say no, thinking it may cost money. In doing research (all parents say no, it is a delay mechanism) found out I liked it and started the original Lowetide blog in about one day. I will write this blog long after no one visits, I love it.

13. marty62 says:

Chicago leading the Canucks in the 3rd Kane has extended his point streak with and apple

14. marty62 says:

Lowetide: It started in 2004, I lost the first three years because I hit a wrong button trying to transfer it (or what I thought would do it). I spent the late 1990s and early 2000s as a commenter and mod on hf, mostly because I couldnt go out at night and as much because we had little babies who were growing up.

So, my daughter is about seven and asks if she can blog. I say no, thinking it may cost money. In doing research (all parents say no, it is a delay mechanism) and started the original Lowetide blog in about one day. I will write this blog long after no one visits, I love it.

Well we love you for writing it. Helps us die hard Oil fans keep our sanity…….

15. "Steve Smith" says:

marty62: Well we love you for writing it. Helps us die hard Oil fans keep our sanity…….

I do not think that “keep” means what…well, you know.

16. marty62 says:

"Steve Smith": 1. The origins of the blog date back to sometime in the late 1980s, when Lowetide started scrawling his deepest thoughts down on napkins and shouting them at passersby – “This is Ilya Byakin!” he’d scrawl.“In a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides if, and only if, Stan Weir wills it!” he’d shriek.His audience was limited (to his immediate family and to DSF, who had been following Lowetide around mischaracterizing his arguments since 1973) until he was introduced to the Blogger platform during the 2004-2005 lockout.This blog, in something approximating its present form, appeared online shortly thereafter, but it did not officially start until the February 6, 2014 Grand Opening sale.

Hahaha thats awesome….

17. marty62 says:

“Steve Smith”: I do not think that “keep” means what…well, you know.

hmmm more like helps us live with our delusions of grandeur???

Greatest post ever written on this blog. Of course, it won’t reach many people if that damn delete button shows up again.

19. thurmtim says:

Just realized… when we win tomorrow we will have as many points in the last ten games as we did for the first twenty one… wow I am enjoying this year!

20. marty62 says:

thurmtim:

We will also jump into 3rd place in the PAcific division …………..

21. Dr. Taboggan says:

Awesome and thanks! This blog has provided me with many quality procrastination hours.

22. thurmtim says:

marty62: We will also jump into 3rd place in the PAcific division …………..

Also tied for 2nd in Pacific, but give up a game in hand and fewer R/OT wins for tie breaker. 2 weeks ago did any one see us in top 3 of division by Xmas??? I hoped but I didn’t see it coming… Me of little faith….

23. jfry says:

i remember stumbling onto this blog shortly after the 2006 playoffs. it was a revelation. i quickly read everything in the archive and don’t think i’ve missed a post since. i even had fights with my ex because she’d always say, “you’re always on lowetide.” … which is what it is, but i still have lowetide, and don’t have the ex, so …

my company sells programmatic ads, and frankly i’ve learned so many useful tools here that have enabled my professional life because of the math and metrics that have evolved in this community. I couldn’t do what i do without what i’ve learned here. Fact!

i’ve also learned a lot about “thinking” from allan. i really admire his ability to hit on a topic every day (or week), trying to capture all sides of the information, and slowly forming a picture based on the rigour of that constant analysis. not many people are capable of revisiting ideas over and over; most just develop an opinion and then it’s done. it’s been a very valuable lesson for me.

it is a little crazy to think i’ve been coming here for almost ten years now. wow. what a journey LT.

24. thurmtim says:

Going into Xmas break:

Anaheim with a 4 game road trip (BUF,NJ, NYI, NYR B2B),

Arizona 3 games at home (CLB, NYI TOR),

Calgary 4 game road trip (NAS, DAL, STL DET) and finish at home to WPG,

Edmonton 4 game road trip (BOS, NYR B2B, CHI COL) and finish at home to WPG

San Jose 5 game road trip (MTL, TOR, OTT B2B, CHI and LA)

Vancouver 5 game road trip (MIN, PHI, DET B2B, FLA and TB).

This will be interesting! Everyone but Arizona almost entirely ion the road, but Arizona only has three games in that span with softer games against CLB and TOR….

A good road trip will go a loooong ways right now.

25. Stelio Kontos says:

To be betting a coughlin is like playing the penny slots, while some of the other deals are not as much.

jfry:

Ha! It should have been a better decade, but I cant leave when the book is getting good!

27. Centre of attention says:

IDK if anyone mentioned it but Todd Nelson’s Griffins have won 11 straight, tying a franchise record.

All the power too him, I really hope he sees the NHL again one day.

28. thurmtim says:

For giggles here is my harebrained prognostication for the standings going into Xmas break:

Oilers 34 pts in 34 games
    Canucks 34 pts in 36 games
    Coyotes 33 pts in 33 games
    Sharks 32 pts in 34 games
    Flames (ptooi!) 31 pts in 33 games
    Ducks 30 pts in 33 games.

Sound plausible?

Centre of attention:

All the power too him, I really hope he sees the NHL again one day.

His goalies couldn’t stop a beach ball at the start of the season, and his skaters couldn’t find water shooting at an ocean. It was PDO hell squared. And then it turned. Nelson always finds a way to right a ship.

30. marty62 says:

Centre of attention:

All the power too him, I really hope he sees the NHL again one day.

agreed

31. marty62 says:

thurmtim:

Oilers 34 pts in 34 games
    Canucks 34 pts in 36 games
    Coyotes 33 pts in 33 games
    Sharks 32 pts in 34 games
    Flames (ptooi!) 31 pts in 33 games
    Ducks 30 pts in 33 games.

Sound plausible?

I think youre giving the Canucks too much credit i see a losing streak in their future

32. jp says:

godot10: His goalies couldn’t stop a beach ball at the start of the season, and his skaters couldn’t find water shooting at an ocean.It was PDO hell squared. And then it turned.Nelson always finds a way to right a ship.

You’d consider last years Oilers a ship righted?

33. Ryan says:

“Steve Smith”: No.I don’t think the Oilers re-up Talbot before the end of the season, if at all.

Wowza.

In your frequent sojourns here, I can’t think of many where you actually talk about hockey. 🙂

More please.

34. "Steve Smith" says:

Ryan:In your frequent sojourns here, I can’t think of many where you actually talk about hockey.

35. AsiaOil says:

Same with me LT – you know I’m not someone who really wanted the guy but after watching him there is potential. If he shows decently in December/January then you need to have a conversation on a bridge deal of some sort – 2 years / 4 million? But if he doesn’t want to sign then I deal him to get some return on investment.

I want him to start tomorrow as well. I like Nilsson a lot but he needs a rest and time to practice. He’s a big guy but he went down way too early on at least a couple of goals against NYR. Being 6-5 means nothing if you are on your belly watching pucks sail over you. Not sure if NYR was trying to do that – but if so – he’s got to be more disciplined and maintain his form. Time for Talbot in any case

jp: You’d consider last years Oilers a ship righted?

37. jp says:

godot10: He had a much worse team than McLellan has running at a 77-point pace (McLellan is finally running at about that)…and a team that Eakins had running at a 50 point pace.

Oh, no argument the team won more under Nelson than Eakins. But iirc the CF% was putrid, so it wasn’t all roses. I guess I’m just not prepared to say the Oilers ship was close to righted as of April 2015.

38. Halfwise says:

"Steve Smith": This time was actually an error – I thought I was logged in using my other account, “Woodguy”.

Yeah Bendelson, whatever you say.

If that’s your real name.

40. stevezie says:

“Steve Smith”,

Won’t Boissanaint be waiver eligible next year?

There’s still a few slips between a cup and a lip, but at this point it sure looks like it is a lock to sign Nillson, right? So that means he and LB are on the team next year. No more room at the inn. They probably try to either trade Talbot this winter or sign him to a cheap one year deal so they can trade him in the summer because I expect Chia isn’t ready to write off the assets spent acquiring him.

41. Yeti says:

stevezie: Still time for LB or Nilsson to collapse, or Talbot to blow minds, but that’s the way it looks right now.

You’re probably right, but have you ever heard of the mythical beast known as the ‘three-headed monster’? Apparently they used to be quite common around Edmonton and rumours of their extinction may be premature.

42. böök¡je says:

I just happen to be in southern California and headed up into the mountains last night to watch the Gemenoids – fantastic show. We saw meteors every 30 seconds or so. It was pretty cool.

43. böök¡je says:

Damn, I meant to post that last post under my Bruce identity…

Anyway – it was a true story.

Steve – great post.

44. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

böök¡je,

Can you post the phonetically correct pronunciation of your handle? I’m sure I’m doing it wrong.

45. Water Fire says:

Centre of attention:

All the power too him, I really hope he sees the NHL again one day.

I pull for him as well. As long as McLellan schools the lad when it counts.

46. Water Fire says:

Nilsson is local hero #1 at the moment and deservedly so, still I’m not sure he’s a permanent starter at this point. Top goalies are usually established by mid to late twenties. I think Broissoit has a pretty good shot if he keeps it going this year.

47. Diesel says:

I can only imagine what this blog will look like when the Oil become a real contender.

“Music!” will eventually become a ban-worthy offense out of sheer usage.