G35 2015-16: JETS AT OILERS

One of the things that has major appeal for blogs and message boards is the debate over lines and pairings. In today’s GDT, you will read all sorts of discussion (and hopefully take part in it) about best pairings for tonight. Debate, discussion, back and forth. The first time I ever typed anything onto the internet, it was a debate over Daniel Cleary versus Dan Lacouture. You may find this hard to believe (or not) but I was wrong. Kim Gernack, who is now in heaven, won that round, and introduced me to the art of commenting online and respecting opinion.

It is fun to play along with the decisions of your favorite team, to argue the things you don’t like and remind others about things we called long ago. We all do it, this is fun! I have also received an education, from hf boards, other blogs, this one too, about the doings of NHL teams and coaches. I learned more from Craig MacTavish and his deployment of players during his coaching career than I had from anyone since Howie Meeker in my youth. MacT did some unusual things (ran Toby Petersen on the PP, others) but the man made sense in word and deed as a coach and there is not enough time in either of our lives for you to change my mind on it.

I have always respected Todd McLellan as a coach, although when you are observing an opponent it isn’t with the same magnifying glass you place on the home side. So far this season, I have been impressed with his approach and he has unlocked some of the talented players in this organization.

I did not agree with McLellan’s handling of Mark Fayne. It made no sense when it happened and the recall was overdue. I understand the idea of getting through to veterans (to my eye Fayne was playing more passively than the other blue, suggesting he didn’t trust himself with standing up at the blue and remaining effective) but the Oilers aren’t so good they can make this kind of move without consequences. It is the first move I have seen from the Oilers in-season this year that ran counter with trying to win hockey games. Hopefully it is also the last.

THE BLUE, 2015-16

OILERS DEFENSE OVER SEASON

Someone must have said ‘how can this get worse?’ and came the answer: Brandon Davidson is down and he is not getting up! Good grief. We knew in summer Edmonton had less than ‘balance’ on defense, and the hockey Gods are hammering the organization left and right to drive home the point. Good.

For tonight, with Klefbom and Davidson possibly out, Edmonton is screwed. I would suggest the following:

• Sekera—Schultz
  • Nikitin—Fayne
  • Nurse—Gryba

Oilers are going to have one slow pairing tonight, there is nothing anyone can do about it (unless you want to see Nikitin-Schultz again). If Klefbom can go:

• Nurse—Sekera
  • Klefbom—Schultz
  • Nikitin—Fayne

If both Klefbom and Davidson can go:

• Klefbom—Sekera
  • Davidson—Fayne
  • Nurse—Schultz

There. I feel better. I am also completely accepting of the fact Todd McLellan will cobble this group together in a completely different way.

I believe that would be a mistake. Even with Klefbom and Davidson back, Schultz is among the six best options on the team in my opinion.

1. Sekera
  2. Klefbom
  3. Davidson
  4. Fayne
  5. Nurse
  6. Schultz

That is my list, your mileage may vary.

WHAT IS UP, BOGDAN?

That link provided by Patricia states Yakimov is returning to the KHL and it sounds immediate. There are only a few possible reasons for this:

• The young man was homesick. I don’t really buy it, he was here one year ago and mae it through the year. Yakimov did adjust pretty well in OKC, maybe Bakersfield was tougher? Honestly, this is an unlikely reason.
  • Peter Chiarelli and crew have decided foot speed is enough of an issue that he will not make the NHL. That is possible, folks. He has suffered injuries since coming to North America and may have lost a foot on his fastball.
  • Playing time. I think this is probably it, as the Oilers continue to employ AHL veterans over youngsters. It seems to be better from time to time, but an AHL coach (in this case Gerry Fleming) is going to attempt to win hockey games. You win games with veterans, and I suspect this is probably the reason. Edmonton has had this problem forever and it doesn’t appear to be improving under Peter Chiarelli.

CONDORS TOP FIVE SCORERS

• LD Brad Hunt 26GP, 4-17-21
  • R Matt Ford 24GP, 11-7-18
  • C-R Andrew Miller 20GP, 6-11-17
  • L Ryan Hamilton 24GP, 7-3-10
  • D Nikita Nikitin 14GP, 1-8-9

Veterans all. This is a problem for sure, if you are losing legit prospects (and Yakimov is such a player) to AHL veterans then at some point you have to fire the AHL coach. As you know, I am not in favor of people losing their jobs, but the investment in these young men is incredible and they need to work out at least once in awhile. What if the next man up is Anton Slepyshev? I am little pissed today, but if they lose Slepyshev prepare for the big action words on this blog.

OILERS CENTERS 2015-16

oilers centers over season

God what a group, cannot wait to see them all flying in January. Look at Leon’s numbers! Holy cannoli, Batman! Craig MacTavish had two first-round picks as GM, he will have earned SC rings (when it happens) for that alone. McDavid’s numbers scream impact player, I cannot wait for Christmas (now understood on this blog to be the first game of McDavid back in Oilers silks).

RNH is struggling, a lot of that has to do with injured linemates and climbing Everest. You will read some negative comments about him in the thread today, the Nuge is a candidate for team whipping boy but it is not warranted. Remember this: The clean air reaching Leon’s lungs is being bought and paid for by a man just 2.5 years older than him. Oh, those Oilers. (PS, I am not implying Tempest is being negative, I have heard this rumor enough to believe someone is pushing it up—possibly Nashville).

Anton Lander and Mark Letestu continue their race among the ruins at even strength, one hopes for an EN goal for the Swede. Letestu at least gets a PP point here and there.

WINGS, 2015-16

oil forwards over season

Taylor Hall remains the central hero in this story, which is incredible considering the Oilers have drafted three No. 1 overalls, Oscar, Darnell and Leon in the first rounds since No. 4 arrived in 2010. Incredible talent. I remain onside with bringing back Teddy Purcell, man he is so good with the puck on his stick. If you enjoy cerebral players, Purcell is a joy to behold.

Jordan Eberle has been reminding people of his abilities recently, just a fabulous scorer who can thread the needle in a heartbeat. Benoit Pouliot adds so much to any line (remember when we were raving about him on the McDavid-Yak unit) and he is a nice complement to Taylor Hall on the portside.

Beyond Hendricks, I am undecided about who to keep for next year among the bottom wingers, but can say Iiro Pakarinen is one of my favorite Oilers currently. Also, it may be time to get Slepyshev back up here, don’t want to lose him to the KHL, too.

rigg

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Christmas week! The shows get looser this time of year, kind of like Neil Young and Crazy Horse at the Fillmore. It is still grand though, and I hope you tune in. 10 this morning, TSN1260:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Highs and lows across the NHL, including Dallas and Anaheim.
  • Jeff Hauser, Radio Hauser. The NFL playoff picture is coming into view now.
  • Sunil Agnihotri, The SuperFan and Copper & Blue. The week ahead and what on earth do they come up with tonight on defense?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

512 Responses to "G35 2015-16: JETS AT OILERS"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

He could have, but instead flushed him for sweet fuck all. And now we’re trading our only established centre for a 21 yr old RHD that projects to be a top 4 but still has warts.

So Oilers.

2. Keith says:

ashley:

I just had a chance to look at the Yak incident with the linesman for the first time.

What a bizarre play.What a shame.

It was an ugly play and bad luck all around. One point brought up by former ref Kerry Fraser was that wingers routinely cheat inside the circle, particularly on faceoffs at centre ice. This can leave the official with little space to get out of the way (as was certainly the case with the Yak incident). Fraser doesn’t put the blame on Yak, but does suggest that the rules of faceoffs should be more strictly enforced (wingers should be forced to line up outside of the faceoff circle until the puck is dropped).

Like you said, a bizarre play and a shame. I would add, preventable with proper rule enforcement…

3. leadfarmer says:

So I wonder which d man the wild trade Scandella or Brodin? I’m guessing someone will pay a bunch for Brodin cause they saw him play 2 years ago

4. Well Oiled and Enthusiastic says:

Looking at this trade scenario, I gotta think a Nashville forum like Lowetide’s, if it existed out there, would go crazy at the idea of jettisoning a 21 year old Seth Jones. We have the insider intel on RNH (and I love this player), but an uneducated review of RNH stats career to date by those very same forum participants might cause them to grab their pitchforks and frying pans at the thought of a swap of these two players. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

I think we will have the opportunity to spill ink – and lots of it – on the knee wobbling trade I fear Chiarelli has in store for us sometime in the next 12 months. He has his hand on the rudder to create balance and competitiveness and it’s going to involve a scalpel (not a meat cleaver) to the core group. My 2 cents. Brace gents.

Best of the season to you all.

BONVIE: That’s a lot of money for an undersized player that’s riding the wave of Suter.

Nope.

Been a fan of Spurgeon’s for years and he makes pairs go.

Great NHL player.

Doesn’t matter that he’s 5’9″

He’s been a driving force in the Western Conference, in the Central division no less, for years.

He’s very legit and very real.

Here’s a quick hit:

Last 3 years he’s played 2833min at 5v5

1504 w/ Suter (1sts)
    994 w/ Scandella (2nds)

Suter w/ Spurgeon 53.1%
    Suter w/o Spurgeon 48.8%

A 5% difference on a first pair is a massive difference

Scandella w/ Spurgeon 53.3%
    Scandella w/o Spurgeon 48.9%

Almost the same difference.

If you look at the differences you can see its mostly a boost in Corsi For and small reduction in Corsi Against.

He gets the puck and moves the puck better than 90% of NHL Dmen.

He’s more physical and removes players from the puck with his body more than any Oiler Dman other than Nurse, and maybe even more than him.

square_wheels:
    Woodguy,

So Oilers.

What kills me is that a lot of people are OK with RNH for Hamonic.

Hamonic is essentially Petry with more physical play and a bit more offence.

Oilers had Hamonic and let him go and now to get him back it might cost RNH?

Man.

7. leadfarmer says:

In fairness to the people that want to trade Nuge he is going to be pretty redundant when Auston Matthews is our 3rd line center

8. ruotsalainen says:

Well, now the sails are too far the other way. Folks, Justin Schultz can play hockey. Honest. We are not talking about Sebastian Bisaillon.

Why do you hate Bisaillon LT? 😉

9. ruotsalainen says:

Also, it has been a while. Fuck you Bookje!

10. tcho says:

Well… maybe a 40/60 game? 45/55? Here’s hoping the offence explodes and Talbot has a good-great game.

Goilers!

*clapclap*

11. Dr. Taboggan says:

leadfarmer,

True. It is hard to justify paying RNH 6 million as a 4th line centre/ 3rd line winger.

12. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Exactly, the thought of Nuge for anyone like Hamonic is absurd just based on contracts alone.

Dammit the Petry situation is such a strong reminder of how horrible this team has been managed, but to have the Stamkos rumour repeated by Mackenzie means the leagues UFA’s might actually want to sign here.

Does McD really make us a destination ?

13. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

The one upside to losing Petry as we did is most everyone who trashed him when he was here sees they were wrong. He’s looked great in Montreal, the league can’t stop talking about how weird it is he was so undervalued here and we are significantly worse off without him. Now they see. I don’t know anyone who isn’t mad about MacT’s handling of Petry.

But what’s done is done.

14. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Just want to say thanks to everyone for their kind words today. Wishing you all the best for the holidays.

Go Oilers go. Going to be tough to pull one out with that blue line, but here’s hoping.

15. speeds says:

Bag of Pucks:

When someone says it has to be ‘Doughty for Nuge’ or nothing else, that’s just erecting a strawman to render Nuge untradeable imo. There’s no way RNH’s market value is equivalent to a current Norris Trophy candidate.

Realistically, the goal should be to finalize the rebuild during McDavid’s ELC and win a Cup or two in his first 2 or 3 RFA years. Acquiring a player like Jones dovetails with that approach.

Why is it a strawman to say that if another team won’t give you what RNH is worth, don’t trade him?

17. Dr. Taboggan says:

Agreed 100%.

18. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I wonder if it isn’t more a matter of timing. It does seem evident the Oilers need a right handed stud D. But is Jones the answer? It seems there would be the same kind of growing pains to endure as there are with Nurse. The price is dear.

Also with the injury to McDavid we see very clearly how valuable depth at centre is. I don’t want to trade Nuge at all, but if it must be done, the timing is when other avenues to acquire a strong D man have been exhausted. Hamonic certainly won’t cost Nuge. Byfuglien won’t, either.

If nothing shakes loose and Drai can keep up his play another year, and McDavid really goes supernova then maybe you revisit a Nuge for, say Jones and Wilson trade next season?

I’d try all other avenues first.

19. square_wheels says:

Talbot starts, nice.

20. Lucinius says:

This.

Trading RNH for Jones is, imo, insane. Sure, it may pay off. If it doesn’t, however, it will be a monumental failure.

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again; if someone has to go the best option is Eberle. As a pure goal scorer on a decent (or even good) deal, with his name recognition around the league’s GMs he will have very good value and is far more replaceable to the Oilers than RNH.

If you trade Eberle and get a good d-man back, and McDavid is healthy the lines are very simple; RNH centers Hall and Drai, while McDavid centers Pouliot and Yak.

Someone will end up being traded; the D is just too big of a weakness not to have to do so. Most likely it is an off-season deal, as well. I just hope Chia gets it right because any trade involving one of the stud forwards has to be a win for the Oilers or the team will be in dire straits.

21. Centre of attention says:

I honestly just don’t see Nuge being traded. The media is desperate for things to talk about and with a quiet trade season why not poke the Oilers. It doesn’t help that Bob went on TV and made an ass of himself the way he did, either.

Then again, its the Oilers. They could do something monumentally stupid at any moment.

22. jp says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I didn’t have a chance to reply earlier, but I agree with all the kind comments coming you way. Keep doing what you’re doing.

23. Centre of attention says:

Trademark Oilers icing 30 seconds into the game.

24. rich says:

This. I think we have a better idea at this point of what Nuge can potentially be based on his comps at this age (which have been posted numerous times on this blog).

We don’t know yet w/Jones. He’s playing 3rd pairing minutes and does not rip it up. He’s still having decision making issues.

But he’s also on a team that has a pitty pat offensive attack (top 2 scorers on the team are d-men). With some elite offensive talent to get the puck too, maybe his decision making improves?

Tough one.

25. square_wheels says:

I sure hope Fayne shows well with Sekera, Lordy does this team need him to step up.

26. square_wheels says:

This PP looks about right

27. Centre of attention says:

Can we opt out of the power play please?

28. BeerMe says:

WHat the hell was that casual giveaway by the defence?

29. Dr. Taboggan says:

Oilers getting out shot on the PP.

30. stevezie says:

speeds,

Because Nuge isn’t worth a young Norris candidate. It’s the equivalent of saying “if I can’t get $50 000 for my used Carolla I’m just driving it home.” Fair enough, but let me save you a trip out in the first place.

Nuge is no Carolla, but he’s no Doughty either.

Semi-related note: If you are wondering, “Am I being a homer?” Ask yourself who you’d take first in a re-draft, Nurse or Rasmus Ristolainen. If you think Nurse is the stronger prospect, then you’re a homer. I say that as a Nurse enthusiast.

Convinced? Far from it. But he gets a discussion started in a way that names like Ellis, or even Hamonic don’t.

I’m actually fine with signing another Sekera and platooning four to six good defenders. If, however, you believe we need an elite defender in the next three years, the only way I see to get one is to take a swing on an unsure thing. Jones, Shattenkirk… someone who either is either too young or too deep in their order to be sure what you’re getting.

Especially since they don’t know what RNH is either. We believe, but skeptics are not without cause.

Unless Hanafin makes Faulk available?

31. leadfarmer says:

Korpse, LaTestube Schultz it’s almost like they don’t want to score on pp

32. square_wheels says:

This PP looks about right. Followed up with a Gazdic shift to really lay it on them.

33. Centre of attention says:

Talbot is the reason its not 2-0 Jets right now.

34. fuzzy muppet says:

Jultz already Jultzing with a horrible line change.

It’s over. I don’t see what LT apparently does

35. leadfarmer says:

Jones is struggling, he’s not worth Nuge. He’s going to be a great defenseman but if you are trading Nuge you needs to get someone who already is a good defenseman

36. böök¡je says:

If I were Chiarelli, I would send MacT to scout Montreal for a few months.

37. blainer says:

Jultz…

I think just about everyone on this blog would scratch jultz.. Stas be damned.. Hey..WG..

38. Centre of attention says:

I think the problem with the power play is too many generals and not enough soldiers for the first unit.

First unit Hall-Drai-Purcell-

Put Nuge with Poo+eberle on the second unit.

Centre of attention: I agree completely. Jones alone is not enough, there would have to be more assets stacked on both sides to even things out. Its a tough one, and it may never happen. I would want a young forward with upside coming back along with the impact defenseman if I traded Nuge.

I dont trade Nuge for Jones and something. Makes no sense to me.

40. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

stevezie,

If we had developed Nurse properly like Buffalo did with Risto (putting him in the NHL at 18) he’d be further ahead by now.

41. square_wheels says:

Thorburn vs Schultz, this isn’t going to end well

42. square_wheels says:

Penalties in every game since he’s been back. That’s our Niki !!!

43. fuzzy muppet says:

Is it just me or does that winning streak feel like a million years ago?

44. stevezie says:

Lucinius: You do not trade someone like RNH (two way top six center) for anything less than a good, established, #1 d-man.

Strip the names and you are saying you want to trade an established top 6 forward for an established #1 D. That doesn’t add up.

I like Nuge a lot as is, but what he is right now is a good 2C with a good chance of being more. He hasn’t gone supernova yet. If you want a D with no question marks you need to send a forward with no question marks. This board overestimates RNH’s market value.

Eberle qualifies, but I don’t remember wingers ever being less respected in trade value.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I’d try all other avenues first.

I’m with you on that.

I prefer the angel I know and seeing how the summer UFAs look. I want to see this lineup healthy. But if you’re calling for a trade, I think we’re off base as a a group on what it would look like.

45. Centre of attention says:

The Oilers PK is shockingly good for how bad defensively they are 5 on 5

46. striker says:

Woodguy: Nope.

Been a fan of Spurgeon’s for years and he makes pairs go.

Great NHL player.

Doesn’t matter that he’s 5’9″

Could not agree more WG.

47. striker says:

Lowetide: Is anyone convinced enough of Jones to trade Nuge for him? Seems like a Reinhart-type deal on a grander scale. We do not know what Jones will be.

That analogy is dead on LT. You should keep that six-shooter in your back pocket if (who am I kidding, when) the Jones for RNH trade proposal is bandied about on your radio program.

Sign Ted Purcell.

49. Centre of attention says:

Teddy!

50. square_wheels says:

Hall backed them off, nice play.

Schultz’s pass was in his feet but Drai’s hands made it acceptable.

51. Centre of attention says:

Schultz with a great outlet pass. Wonderful pass. I would also endorse a Purcell signing.

52. Centre of attention says:

square_wheels:
    Hall backed them off, nice play.

Schultz’s pass was in his feet but Drai’s hands made it acceptable.

It was 100 foot pass, I give him a pass on that pass. Lol.

53. Lucinius says:

We scored first!

Amazing. Set up by some nice passing; something we haven’t seen much of lately.

54. Eastern Oil says:

I’m happy that Fayne is back but was that him again doing essentially nothing on that 2 on 1? Defending that play was literally the second thing I learned as a Dman! He damn near fell over trying to bat the puck back to the passer with his hands.

55. square_wheels says:

Centre of attention,

My standards for passing start at Pronger, next plot on the curve is Whitney. Schultz is the anomaly I would throw out in any plot regarding outlet pass accuracy.

He’s ahead of Gator though.

Sign. Ted Purcell.

57. square_wheels says:

This line!

Hall is the man.

58. Lucinius says:

So…..

Where are the people who said Purcell was too slow/bad to play NHL hockey?

59. StevieG_8 says:

Teddy!!

60. Centre of attention says:

Teddy Purcell! Oh my friggen god that was gorgeous!!!!!!!!

61. jp says:

Holy Crap!! Purcell!!! Damn!!

62. fuzzy muppet says:

Looks like it’s purcell’s night!

63. BeerMe says:

Entertaining game!

64. Oil2Oilers says:

Trade Teddy, he is being pumped for the dump 🙂

65. Centre of attention says:

200 foot play by the veteran Teddy Purcell. Absolutely sign that man right there.

66. 1d-aint-no-thing says:

Wow, who doesn’t love it when the post dings like that.

67. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Leon read that play unbelievably well, what a pass and what a shot

68. LMHF#1 says:

Trade him now!

69. Centre of attention says:

Hall with point #300 and #301 tonight.

He wants more.

70. SK Oiler Fan says:

Hall created that space with his speed.

71. StevieG_8 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Leon read that play unbelievably well, what a pass and what a shot

Also Hall’s drive to the net brought 2 defensemen with him

72. leadfarmer says:

I do hope they re sign Purcell especially if he’s asking for reasonable money.

73. Lucinius says:

RNH needed to try and put that in himself, imo.. but not bad. Not bad at all.

74. square_wheels says:

That goal was Hall driving the zone, Leon with the perfect amount of sauce which is expected, but that’s Hall pushing D back with speed.

75. Oil2Oilers says:

The Nuge line is bringing me joy tonight.

76. Centre of attention says:

Even the refs cannot avoid Rexalls curse!

77. 1d-aint-no-thing says:

Holy shit! blade to the stomach, lucky guy.

78. Loyal2theoil says:

If he signs for less than 4 id sign Purcy

79. fuzzy muppet says:

Centre of attention,

The ghost of Yakupov gets some revenge

80. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

leadfarmer,

SK Oiler Fan,

Yes yes agreed agreed. On the reply Hall makes the drive and as the defenseman turns to cover him Drai starts the pass and Purcell is ready for it. Beautiful play by the entire line

81. SK Oiler Fan says:

And yes pump and dump. Remember last year when he was untradeable?

82. square_wheels says:

That poor linesman, damn that’s gotta hurt.

83. Halfwise says:

Was that the linesman that crippled Yak? If not, I feel some sympathy for him.

84. 1d-aint-no-thing says:

I wonder if home ice advantage gives Sekera and Nurse every defensive zone breakout and covers the rest of our d’s lack of long passes.

85. square_wheels says:

I can’t believe how much the Winnipeg W’s stay high in their zone, giving us too much space to cycle. Not seeing their coverage well, very poor support.

Yay for us.

86. square_wheels says:

Pou and Schultz, come fucking on.

87. fuzzy muppet says:

Talbot looks like he wants that #1 job back

Talbot on fire. Schultz gave the puck away there and Remenda is night Pouliot needs to be better there.

89. 1d-aint-no-thing says:

Good game by Talbot. Nilsson might not see the net for a few weeks.

90. stevezie says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Not sure we agree there, but I definitely think there is plenty of time for Nurse to catch and pass him.

91. böök¡je says:

“Taylor Hall is the problem with this team. He has a bad additude and is part of a losing culture. The core is rotten.”

Circa November 2015

92. square_wheels says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Where he was putting the puck, good thing it was intercepted behind the net…..

93. SK Oiler Fan says:

Jets have it figured out now. Pucks below the circles and Shultz, Niki, Gryba have no chance.
    Jets D is bad on the rush. Just not mobile enough and to compensate they back into their tender.
    After seeing the replay that was a world class 2nd goal. Just great vision and touch at full speed.

94. StevieG_8 says:

böök¡je:
    “Taylor Hall is the problem with this team.He has a bad additude and is part of a losing culture.The core is rotten.”

Circa November 2015

Taylor was just trying to do the work all by himself. I think Todd loved his attitude but gave him a different perspective on how to approach different situations. Now Taylor looks like a complete package where his play also elevated Leon’s with their chemistry.

95. hunter1909 says:

Anyone else feeling apathy toward Oilers recent losing streak? Rigor mortis levels of apathy,

96. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide veterans:

Is Draisaitl everything Mikhnov was supposed to be?

97. blainer says:

Remind me again… who did we trade for Teddy…

Excellent move by the old guard there !

15-18 45% in the 5×5 Corsi events tonight in the first period.

99. speeds says:

stevezie:
    speeds,

Nuge is no Carolla, but he’s no Doughty either.

100. Water Fire says:

Halfwise: Water

Hear hear!

101. Oil2Oilers says:

Was Yak the other one on the ice?

102. stevezie says:

Just got my internet back up, caught the highlights. Purcell adding a shrug to his celebration on the first goal was a nice touch.

speeds: There are not that many D in the league worth RNH in a trade for a variety of reasons (age, contract, quality of player), and if you can’t get them, just keep him. Find a D another way.

I prefer this approach myself.

I think the league undervalues Nuge so we probably lose any trade where we move him. So let’s keep him.

103. Ryan says:

Sign. Ted Purcell.

Maybe Schultz can hire Adam Oates.

104. Oil2Oilers says:

speeds: There are not that many D in the league worth RNH in a trade for a variety of reasons (age, contract, quality of player), and if you can’t get them, just keep him.Find a D another way.

Agreed

105. rickithebear says:

Bitching about petry a high priced dman who cannot defend. Show how little people on here understand cap mgmt and winning a cup.

HF Boardish!

106. Klima's_Bucket says:

You would think the Oilers have someone watching Justin Schultz very closely.
    Over his time here they could break down each of his shifts including every outlet pass, every shot that gets through, every time he separates the man from the puck, every time he ties up the correct man in front, every time he misses an outlet pass, every time he misses getting a shot through, every time he fails to separate a man from the puck, every time he makes a bad read.

Then add up the good, and the bad and see if the good outweighs the bad.
    Try and fix problems with coaching and if you can’t then cut him lose.

107. StevieG_8 says:

Leon is awesome. I have to admit, he looks like he can recreate his teamate’s moves. I remember him giving props to RNH for his forecheck before passing to Leon’s gwg against the montreal then followed by a game at anaheim with a tremendous backcheck that resembled RNH. This 2nd Teddy goal looked like Hall’s passes to Leon goals that Leon seem to perfectly recreate now. If everyone is healthy, I just want Leon to be in a line of Hall-RNH-Leon for him to have those vets to turn him into a tremendous centre.

108. RexLibris says:

Just getting caught up here, so excuse if this has been answered to death.

I don’t move Nugent-Hopkins for Jones.

Someone mentioned offer sheet and that might be the way to go – and I hate the idea of offer sheets because it forfeits a lot of picks during the GM’s equivalent of fantasy hockey season when everyone looks like Gretzky on paper.

Here’s where I sit with Jones: he’s one year younger than D. Hamilton and I think he’s just entering that zone where things start to click. He’ll have about 250 gp by season’s end, barring injury.

If the Oilers offer sheet him it takes the heat off the team and league about them getting another 1st overall – I know, don’t make a deal to do the NHL a favour, but if it is a 1st and a 3rd it could also force Nashville into a trade if they match the deal.

109. Pajamah says:

rickithebear:

HF Boardish!

Jeff Petry was this teams best puck mover. Stop.
    Jeff Petry would be this teams best puck mover. Stop

Jeff Petry makes the Montreal Canadiens better. Stop
    Jeff Petry would make the Edmonton Oilers better.

Stop.

110. RexLibris says:

15-18 45% in the 5×5 Corsi events tonight in the first period.

I’m tracking Score Adj Fenwick (as well as a few other numbers) for the RE update for FN and the Oilers are slowly, gradually, creeping up towards 50%.

It isn’t ideal or dramatic, but they are headed in the right direction.

I also think that McLellan doesn’t care about the Corsis so much as his vaunted “shot volume” which, based on what he has said, I don’t believe he would describe as the same thing. I suspect he is more of a Dangerous Fenwick kind of guy. 🙂

111. Bootstrap Effexor says:

I’m multitasking this evening. The hockey quants among us might enjoy checking out Philip Tetlock on Superforecasting at 44:30 for a short hockey anecdote.

That was great hockey there. Great takeaway by Sekera, a blocked shot from a rifle by Nurse and then an impossible save by Talbot. Music!

113. fuzzy muppet says:

Sekera is their best defender by a country mile

114. Zelepukin says:

broken arm. 4 places.

115. Zelepukin says:

#becauseoilers

116. jp says:

That’s what he’s good for. Sooo damn long since we’ve seen that!!

117. StevieG_8 says:

Pajamah: Jeff Petry was this teams best puck mover. Stop.
    Jeff Petry would be this teams best puck mover. Stop

Jeff Petry makes the Montreal Canadiens better. Stop
    Jeff Petry would make the Edmonton Oilers better.

Stop.

19 scores.

119. fuzzy muppet says:

Teddy is having a hell of a game

120. rich says:

Move Schultz to the wing!

121. Centre of attention says:

Schultz did a thing. That thing where he sneaks in and scores something pretty.

122. BeerMe says:

Schultz only trying when his career his on the line

123. Clarkenstein says:

Who is #19 and what has he done with Justin Schultz?

124. stevezie says:

This is the beginning of his turnaround

125. StevieG_8 says:

Schultzy! Finally! I hope he can breathe now and just play better.

126. Pajamah says:

Ice damaged by the gorilla that just jumped off of Schultz’s back

127. flyfish1168 says:

Justin you need alot more of that before i even think you deserve not to be traded.

128. stevezie says:

BeerMe,

He just can’t win with you people!

129. 1d-aint-no-thing says:

There. Shultz does that better than even Nurse. How can they set him up to do that and avoid typical d point shots.

Haha he’d be a forward then.

130. leadfarmer says:

Nice Schultz. Shut those people up who don’t think he’s an NHL defenseman. He’s not above bottom pair. He’s not a 4 mil d man. He should not be a pp player but he can play in the league

131. Pajamah says:

StevieG_8: When I hear Perty, I try to divert my thoughts to thinking that “I’ll take Mcdavid over Petry” so the frustration doesn’t seem so bad after all.

I, like Dennis King, use a fans opinion of Jeff Petry as their hockey intelligence litmus test.

No, he isn’t Paul Coffey or Larry Robinson, but he was/is a very good d-man.

And when I see Ricki spout off about box protection making a d-man elite, as opposed to breaking a cycle and actually moving the puck in a positive direction, I shake my head.

132. leadfarmer says:

If Purcell isn’t careful he might spend a couple more seasons here.

133. Halfwise says:

Bastard Jets goalie has his glove on the wrong hand. How is Gryba supposed to score there?

134. BeerMe says:

stevezie:
    BeerMe,

He just can’t win with you people!

Schultz has dug himself into a gargantuan hole. It will take a LOT more than a few goals here and there to erase the immense debt he has incurred with years of lazy play, piss-poor defending, and offensive ineptitude. He smiled for far too long after that one.

135. 1d-aint-no-thing says:

Ohhhh, Drai just above the faceoff circle distributing from a short D pass then Shultz up with what he does best. His skating in transition is useful

136. BeerMe says:

Ridiculous phantom call

137. Klima's_Bucket says:

When 19 scored I uttered a Messier like “Woah”

138. khildahl says:

BeerMe:
    Ridiculous phantom call

2 minutes for having a hockey stick.

139. knighttown says:

Woodguy: With all the hubbub around Schultz lately I had a look at his Goals For % WOWY since he got in the league. (everyone who’s played at least 200 min w/ Jultz)

Here they are:

(note: if the player has played for other teams over Jultz’ career I only used the Oiler years number to keep it all fair and even)

Klefbom:

Nikitin:
    218 min With 36.8%
    499 min W/O 31.4%

Belov:
    215 min With 47.8%
    587min W/O 41.9%

So except for Nultz, they all experience a significant increase is GF% playing with Schultz.

Is that because he plays a lot behind RNH, Hall etc?Maybe.

Probably also speaks to the QC, but the numbers don’t lie and his is counting goals for everyone who doesn’t like counting shot attempts.

Here’s Hall, Eberle and RNH’s GF% WOWY w/ Schultz:

RNH:
    1332 min With 52.9%
    2119 min W/O 41.8% (!!)

Eberle:
    1326 min With 50.4%
    2114 min W/O 42.7% (!!)

Hall:
    1128 min With 53.2%
    2024 min W/O 51.5%

Huh.

So while we don’t like to watch Julz play hockey, we cannot say that players are better without him, because they’re not.

I think that speaks more to the other Dmen alternatives to Jultz on the Oilers for the last 4 years, but you can’t deny that he’s in the Oilers top 6 today.

Kevin Lowe and MacT’s plan included having mostly a AHL level D apparently.

I look forward to the day he puts on a NHL jersey other than the team I cheer for, but he’s one of the 6 best on the Oilers today.

I’m not sure if you had a look at my Degree of Difficulty work late last season but it points to your theory about “why” Schultz looks so good by these numbers as being accurate. Last season Justin Schultz scored a 0 (of 12) for Degree of Difficulty. He was in the easiest quadrant in all of Zone starts, Qual Comp and Qual Team. He wasn’t just protected he was wearing one of those lead vests you wear to get an XRay under a suit of armour then bubble wrapped from head to toe stuffed inside of a tank and driven around the foothills of Switzerland.

And he still only posted a 50% number.

Can’t say for sure about his other years but last years success was wind-aided.

Jones and Brodin are at the point where a bit of the shine is off the rose. Like with Petry, the team knows their flaws. If management focuses on the flaws, you end up making a mistake like was made with Petry, with Gilbert, with Pitkanen, with Hejda.

Minnesota has salary issues with their D, which is why Brodin might shake loose.

Both Nashville and the Islanders have centres that could come with the D for Nugent-Hopkins, and the OIlers have D that can go with Nugent-Hopkins the other way.

I don’t really want to trade Nugent-Hopkins. But if Jones or Hamonic is coming back as PART of the deal, and one is also getting a 3rd line centre back, one has to think about it.

141. PhrankLee says:

Woodguy: What kills me is that a lot of people are OK with RNH for Hamonic.
    Hamonic is essentially Petry with more physical play and a bit more offence.

Truer words have never been said.

Hamonic and Petry are very similar players.

Neither one, though good, would be worth Nugent-Hopkins. It’s not even close.

142. Klima's_Bucket says:

Schultz just smacked Scheifele on the penalty kill then backhand scooped the puck out of the zone.
    “Woah”

143. stevezie says:

godot10,

That looks right.

144. Oil2Oilers says:

Remeda has called every review against the Oilers

145. khildahl says:

Oil2Oilers:
    Remeda has cheerlead every review against the Oilers

Fixed

146. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: We do not know what Jones will be.

This is exactly the reason I do not like the trade.

At all. Baring career ending injury RNH will center at least a 2nd line for over a decade!

Lots to like about Jones but he is not developed into a sure-fire NHL player who will retire an NHL player.
    Yet.

147. Water Fire says:

Sign. Ted Purcell.

I’d sign the T Purcell of the last 15 games. Do you want the T Purcell of post contract 2016? Given T Purcell has had some pretty significant issues in the heart of his career?

I’ve had enough of horrible vet contracts personally.

Talbot with an incredible save there. Wow.

149. Halfwise says:

Gotta say, I liked the 3 goal lead better.

150. Henry says:

Good for you Mr. Talbot.

151. Pajamah says:

Man, this 5 on 5 PK sure is tough.

152. stevezie says:

Oil2Oilers:
    Remeda has called every review against the Oilers

Are you criticizing him for this?

153. leadfarmer says:

PhrankLee,

Where u finding those people? Haven’t heard a single person suggest that trade although a more offensive and physical and younger and cheaper Petry is a good player but I’d want more for Nuge.

154. Henry says:

I like both these clubs. Lots of warts. Lots of talent

155. rickithebear says:

Pajamah: Jeff Petry was this teams best puck mover. Stop.
    Jeff Petry would be this teams best puck mover. Stop

Jeff Petry makes the Montreal Canadiens better. Stop
    Jeff Petry would make the Edmonton Oilers better.

Stop.

You needed 3.00 evgf fwds with petry stop.
    3.00 evgf cost 6-10.5m x 3. Stop
    You are a cap moron stop
    I want to win a cup! Stop.

156. 1d-aint-no-thing says:

The Grant Fuhr strategy I see. Offense followed by Talbot trying to grab the puck, repeat.

157. leadfarmer says:

It’s 3-1 they got us right where they want us.

godot10: In a Nugent-Hopkins for Jones deal, or in a three way involving Hamonic, Jones, and Nugent-Hopkins, there would almost certainly be more stuff involved. The Oilers would be getting Jones or Hamonic and a centre back, and the OIlers would probably be giving up a lesser D.

Jones and Brodin are at the point where a bit of the shine is off the rose.Like with Petry, the team knows their flaws.If management focuses on the flaws, you end up making a mistake like was made with Petry, with Gilbert, with Pitkanen, with Hejda.

I don’t really want to trade Nugent-Hopkins.But if Jones or Hamonic is coming back as PART of the deal, and one is also getting a 3rd line centre back, one has to think about it.

I dont want to trade a king for a seven and a possible future king.

159. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

I’m sure even bears understand that Petry is a very good # 3 d man that was played as a #1 with a poor partner

160. Younger Oil says:

Why the fuck is the ref at center ice making that call when the other ref is right fucking next to the play?

161. Centre of attention says:

Refs need to put the whistles away

162. fuzzy muppet says:

That was a lazy lazy change

163. Halfwise says:

Boys, get your heads in the game. Bad change on the 4 on 4.

164. 1d-aint-no-thing says:

That’s wierd. You, go to the box and You, go to the box for … umm…

165. leadfarmer says:

Brodin is overrated and Hamonic is not worth Nuge. The team that gets the best player wins

166. PhrankLee says:

Talbot.

167. leadfarmer says:

What’s the point of having multiple assistants if they are not paying attention to what players are doing.

168. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Talbot is a beast tonight

169. Pajamah says:

rickithebear: You needed 3.00 evgf fwds with petry stop.
    3.00 evgf cost 6-10.5m x 3. Stop
    You are a cap moron stop
    I want to win a cup! Stop.

Save the personal attacks. You have no leg to stand on calling anyone a moron.

As for the subject matter, all you do is espouse the virtue of box protection and keeping offensive players out of the middle, that’s not defending anymore. Defending is as much shot prevention, cycle breaking, passing, and hopefully providing offense.

Petry carried the largest oar defensively in Edmonton and constantly fought the current that was a bad Oiler team against superiors throughout the league.

He moved things the right way, and most intelligent posters here would have gladly given him the contract he got in Montreal to keep him.

If you don’t see the value, and can’t see that he is better than Gryba, Fayne, Ference, Nikitin, Davidson, and for the moment, Nurse, I don’t know what else to tell you.

Petry doesn’t, nor wouldn’t hurt a team competing for the cup

Chicago won, so it’s moot, but guaranteed they’d have taken him over Timonen 9 out 10 times in hindsight.

170. GCW_69 says:

Just had a chance to read the blog post. While I am perfectly fine with Nuge for Jones or Josi, I certainly don’t view that as an indictment of Nuge. I had an argument with a Black Hawks fan two nights ago who was arguing Nuge was a second or third line centre. That’s completely nuts and its too bad people view Nuge that way. He deserves more respect.

I support trading Nuge for Jones or Josi because I think it’s absolutely necessary to spend a forward asset to fix the defence.

The Oilers will have a high draft pick again this summer. A Nuge replacement can be drafted, and a bridge player can be signed in free agency to support Leon and McDavid.

171. Water Fire says:

Bad calls now are a training for dealing with bad calls when it counts. The response should be a desire to bring it at a higher level. Sometimes misfortune prepares you for the good.

172. stevezie says:

While it’s not what I would do, I must admit I am puzzled by your adamant rejection of Godot’s suggestion.

If I understand you correctly, you (like me) don’t want to deal Nuge for a Dman because then our forwards would have a dangerous dearth of depth and experience. However, if the deal also gives us a Colin Wilson, doesn’t that solve the depth and experience problem?

I agree RNH is better than Jones or Hamonic, but I get the impression you don’t think it is even close. Is that it? This seems a little generous to one party and stingy to the other to me, but I will admit it’s been a few years since I’ve closely watched Hamonic and I really only know Jones by reputation.

You’re on record as wanting Chia to address the D mid-season. What kind of player are you looking for?

173. leadfarmer says:

That’s quite a slash from Hall at the end. Lucky he didn’t get called.

174. MrEd says:

I don’t want to come across as too much of a Lowetidian but man, what a preamble tonight. Sensible.
    Maybe we should get the drift.
    I worked late tonight.
    3-1 after 2.

Through two periods, Oilers evens toi:

Nurse 13:46
    Schultz 11:52
    Sekera 11:00
    Fayne 10:26
    Gryba 8:46
    Nikitin 8:02

176. GCW_69 says:

Of Hamonic is being traded for Nuge, I sure hope Strome or Nelson is coming with him as part of a larger trade.

The interesting thing for Snow is what Neilsen wants for his next contract. If he wants, say, $5M per, would Snow rather have Nielsen at that cap hit or Nuge at $6M? He might prefer Nuge and use Neilsen as a trade chip in another deal for defensive help.

177. PhrankLee says:

Nurse 13:46
    Schultz 11:52
    Sekera 11:00
    Fayne 10:26
    Gryba 8:46
    Nikitin 8:02

I’d hate to ride the golden goose into the ground.

That’s way too many min for a rookie.

stevezie:

If it is Josi and Colin Wilson for Nuge and some kind of depth player, we can talk. That said, what kind of center is Wilson? Is he Horcoff like or something else? Oilers finally have depth at center, this isnt something they should trade without having a legit solution.

IF they can get Josi for Nuge and find a quality center to replace Nuge and that is a better fit than the opposite, I am on board. I dont see it being a reasonable path.

179. stevezie says:

I’m right there with you on wanting to keep our hard-earned depth at forward (look at how we suffered under recent injuries as-is), but I think this means no D help is coming until the summer.

I think, I’m not sure. This summer’s first might catch some attention closer to the deadline.

180. dangilitis says:

Cam Talbot’s save percentage has officially risen above 0.900 (0.901) as of the end of the 2nd period

Matthew Iwanyk
    ‏@matthewiwanyk

Darnell Nurse getting looked at during the intermission in the xray room.

182. RexLibris says:

Did Spector just take some implied credit for getting Nugent-Hopkins going by criticizing him?

People, we are through the looking glass.

183. dangilitis says:

Spector: Hall leading the team in intangibles
    Principe: Hall just started to get really really good

2 guys employed to watch the Oilers and make intelligent observations.
    Sometimes I wish I dropped out of medical school and entered a degree program in hockey puns…

184. Halfwise says:

dangilitis:

He’s not the problem here.

185. Pajamah says:

Matthew Iwanyk
    ‏@matthewiwanyk

Darnell Nurse getting looked at during the intermission in the xray room.

186. dangilitis says:

Matthew Iwanyk
    ‏@matthewiwanyk

Darnell Nurse getting looked at during the intermission in the xray room.

This is getting out of hand. The team needs to be healthier so that the GM can make a fair and accurate assessment of how good the team currently is at full-strength.

187. Derek says:

I’ve really come to appreciate the ability to fast forward through commercials and the intermission guys after starting the game an hour or so late. The only problem is I sometimes read too far ahead in the comments and spoil a goal for myself.

It’s a small sacrifice to make to never be subjected to the “insight” of Shannon or Specter.

188. dangilitis says:

Halfwise: The last 5 minutes in Chicago, his teammates just left him hanging. Two goals against on 4 undefended shots.

He’s not the problem here.

That’s not what I meant. Even if he turns this season around, he’s got a giant hole to climb out of. Hopefully the Oilers buy low.

189. Halfwise says:

Pajamah: I’ve heard the puck has a broken edge after that collision. Darnell’s bones are concrete. Puck will miss the next 6-8 weeks.

190. frjohnk says:

Matthew Iwanyk
    ‏@matthewiwanyk

Darnell Nurse getting looked at during the intermission in the xray room.

He is back on the ice but I wouldn’t be surprised it turns out to be bad news after the game.

191. Oil2Oilers says:

That was a bad call by the refs. Maybe a make up call for Hall

192. Dr. Taboggan says:

It is almost impressive how bad the Oilers PP looks.

193. Pajamah says:

Halfwise: Nurse was brought in to replace the broken X Ray machine. It’s all about the eye glow.

His eyeglow/60 makes Superman look like a laser pointer

194. rich says:

Wow, this is a really bad PP.

(Keen grasp of the obvious…put me on TV).

195. Derek says:

Sorry Cam. This is going to be an extremely long period.

196. Pajamah says:

Derek:
    Sorry Cam.This is going to be an extremely long period.

Remember, 4 goals on 50 shots against is still 0.920 sv%

*sobs uncontrollably

197. Halfwise says:

Jets’ cycle game is making me dizzy…

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »