THE 30 BEST PLAYERS IN THE 2016 DRAFT

The World Juniors introduced us to five ridiculous talents (and more) this Christmas and it is once again time to start discussing the draft. It is safe to do so, because the Oilers are in a playoff race and identifying where they will draft is a moving target. Let’s have our first look at 2016.

1. C Auston Matthews, Zurich Lions (Swiss-A): NHLE is 82, 21-16-37 based on Rob Vollman’s latest numbers and there can be little doubt that he is the best available. Franchise center. All numbers in NHLE for this post use the Vollman.
  2. D Jacob Chychrun, Sarnia Sting (OHL): NHLE is 82, 4-15-19, his offense is not progressing but he remains a complete prospect. Brock Otten has a great take on Chychrun and other OHL kids here.
  3. R Jesse Puljujarvi, Karpat (Sm-Liiga): A massive WJs will put him top of the table in terms of players who could go No. 2 overall, but there is plenty of competition. Big man with big skill.
  4. L Matthew Tkachuk, London Knights (OHL): His NHLE is 82, 13-40-53 (!!!) and he did a lot of good things at the WJs. I didn’t change my rankings (through the top 9) from the pre-WJs, but he is the one guy who might have done more to earn a move up in the small sample size tournament of teenagers.
  5. W Patrik Laine, Tappara (Sm-Liiga): Another player who had a fantastic WJs, I liked him a lot before the event. What I cannot tell you is who among the Finn wingers is better—my early ranking is based on what I have read and not especially informed.
  6. R Alexander Nylander, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): High skill, seems a carbon copy of his brother in many ways, with a wrinkle or two. NHLE is 82, 17-32-49. Has a terrific release.
  7. R Julien Gauthier, Val D’Or Foreurs (QMJHL): NHLE is 82, 21-5-26 which is Sandy Koufax level. He is a monster 6.04, 224 and runs over people for fun. Did not get a lot of traction from WJs, but I don’t think it will matter. Appears to have good speed for his size.
  8. R Alex DeBrincat, Erie Otters (OHL): I can’t keep him off the list despite his 5.07 stature. Why? His NHLE is 82, 29-20-49 and he hasn’t skipped a beat despite losing Connor McDavid as his center (!!!!). Smiper.
  9. D Mikhail Sergachev, Windsor Spitfires (OHL): Brock Otten’s words on him are tantalizing and I do think the offensive side is genuinely promising (NHLE: 82, 7-11-18). Looking back on last season, the early defensemen on my list tended to drift downward (my list favors complete skill sets, and then offense). Suspect Sergachev (and Chychrun) have sustain.
  10. D Olli Juolevi, London Knights (OHL): The only change from my last list comes at No. 10 (I don’t think it is a good idea to changing things in the days surrounding the WJs). NHLE is 82, 4-18-22 and I was struck by his puck skills and speed. Fantastic talent. By the way, my last top 10 before this one is here.
  11. C Pierre-Luc Dubois, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL): I have only read about him but he appears to be one of those really good Q centers. Has size, skill, speed and two-way acumen. I will probably love the player if all that holds true, his NHLE (82, 14-17-31) he might be a little shy offensively compared to some others in this range.
  12. D Jake Bean, Calgary Hitmen (WHL): NHLE is 82, 8-13-21 and a smart blueliner who has surged two years in a row now (a very good sign). Listed at 6.01, 170 and that may hurt him but RLR has him No. 4 on their December list.
  13. C Michael McLeod, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): He is 6.02, 187 and EP suggests he is an emerging Power Center with great skating. If all of that and his NHLE (82, 11-19-30) are true, I have him undervalued here.
  14. D Dante Fabbro, Penticton Vees (BCJHL): Kirk Luedeke describes him as ‘smooth’ and possessing two-way ability. Very difficult to project these players, and the established rankers are all over the place on him. We know the Oilers traditionally value the BCJHL.
  15. L Max Jones, London Knights (OHL): Big man (6.02, 201) is posting strong numbers (NHLE: 82, 14-13-27) but is on a superb junior that so I have nicked him a little. That said, he has spiked with others away at the WJs.
  16. L Tyson Jost, Penticton Vees (BCJHL). A fun player based on reports, he is scoring well in Tier 2 but we don’t know how that will translate. EP has described him as a crafty goal-scorer and he has spiked season over season. On his way to UND. Intriguing.
  17. L Tyler Benson, Vancouver Giants (WHL): Has a pro skill set, including speed, grit and offensive ability. The boxcars arrived late this year, due to recovery from surgery. He started the year 10gp, 2-4-6, but is 18, 6-14-20 since. He is not a big man (6.0, 196), but Cody Nickolet compared him (in style) to Taylor Hall. Move those boxcars, young man!
  18. G Carter Hart, Everett Silvertips (WHL): Goalies are difficult to track beyond save percentage, and this young man has a .925SP on a team with a backup who has an .875 SP. I am probably wrong, but the numbers suggest he is worth a mid-first.
  19. L Dillon Dube, Kelowna Rockets (WHL): Undersized WHL scorer who has enjoyed a strong season so far, he has been more involved in the offense this year. NHLE is 82, 11-15-26 and he is spotted here because of superior foot speed.
  20. C Clayton Keller, USNDTP (USHL): Jeff Cox of SBNation’s College hockey department has a great description here. Undersized, very skilled, average speed. Looks like there is substantial offensive potential.
  21. R Taylor Raddysh, Erie Otters (OHL). Another big winger (6.02, 198) whose NHLE (82, 10-24-34) runs hot compared to his ranking. His resume suggests puck skills and playmaking, with the downside being speed.
  22. C Luke Kenin, Wisconsin (NCAA): He is 6.0, 196 and has a range of skills. Kirk Luedeke offers a description of a player who can get to the NHL several different ways. Can skate, can shoot, numbers are good at a substantial level. What’s not to like? NHLE is 82, 10-10-20.
  23. C-R Nathan Bastian, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): At 6.04, 207 he possesses both good (and improving) speed and some offensive touch (NHLE: 82, 9-18-27). I am always aware of players who improve when placed on an offensive line (who is zooming who?) but this appears to be a good player (Otten’s blog is great for this kind of specific description and I have borrowed heavily throughout this piece).
  24. D Cam Dineen, North Bay Battalion (OHL): Undersized at 6.0, 180 he lacks experience defensively but that emerged as one of the best offensive defensemen in the OHL. Mobile, great passer.
  25. C-L Kieffer Bellows, USNDTP (USHL). A nice offensive forward with good size (6.01, 194) and a scorer’s touch. David Hahn of HF has a nice article, points to skating having improved and that is something to watch.
  26. C Rasmus Asplund, Farjestads (SHL). His is 6.0, 180 and quality two-way forward. Offense suggests he is going to have enough to play in a top 6F role if he continues to develop, the descriptions of his speed and attention to detail are compelling.
  27. C German Rubstov, Team Russia (MHL). He is 6.01, 174 and got famous in a hurry at the Hlinka. Described as a two-way forward, if he is shy anywhere it is offense.
  28. D Samuel Girard, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL). Just 5.09 and 165, he is a brilliant offensive defender (82, 3-22-25) and has first-round talent. He is a great passer and aggressive in all areas, and by description would appear to be a version of Marc-Andre Bergeron.
  29. C Logan Brown, Windsor Spitfires (OHL): He is 6.06, 215 and has impressive offensive skills. A playmaker, the questions revolve around foot speed.
  30. C Sam Steel, Regina Pats (WHL). Very good skater and elusive offensive player, I would have him higher (like him) but the NHLE (82, 7-15-22) suggests this is fair.

Miles to go, but this is a start. Today’s post has nothing to do with Edmonton’s standing, but I do want to talk about the draft on the radio show and this is a nice stepping off point (from the WJs). Coverage will increase as the daylight grows longer and of course I want to have enough information by the deadline in order to know the value of second and third-round picks (does not look like they have extreme value at this time). Thanks for reading!

112 Responses to "THE 30 BEST PLAYERS IN THE 2016 DRAFT"

1. zatch says:

I am super intrigued by Hart. Those are eye-popping numbers. If you have 2 First Rounders, I’d defo grab him I think.

Very strong case he should have been at the WJ’s. Hockey Canada’s goalie selection is…suspect at very best.

2. rickithebear says:

Swe lost to USA 8-3 11 even goals.
    Lagesson was Swe only + player.
    Swedes D
    Lagesson 1G-0 +2
    J. Larsson 0-0 -5
    Ollie Mattson 0-0 E
    Englund 0-0 -4
    Petterson 0-0 -2
    forsling 0-0 -1
    Clean 0-0 -1

Lagesson had the 3rd best +/- for D in tourney with +7.

3. rickithebear says:

For the draft we need D or elite EVG scorers.

Tkachuk
    29gm 6 EVG 30 EVA
    Age NHLE 9EVG 47 EVA
    9 EVG
    Nine?
    Nine!

4. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

The draft is a funny thing. Sam Steel has been highly touted for a while, will go first round.

Down here in Lethbridge Egor Babenko is out producing steel 39gp 19-28-47. Babenko is barely on the radar (he’s fantastic, owns the puck in the o-zone, cuts hard to the net, fantastic hockey player). I’d be shocked if he didn’t get drafted, but I’d bet it will be in the fourth round or later.

5. knighttown says:

I remembered Puljujarvi from last year but the one who blew me away was Patrick Laine. That skating! That size! That shot!

Reminds me a lot of Malkin.

Ca$h-McMoney!:

That is part of why I do this, because over five months we should be able to suss out those guys. If Oil are smart, they can grab Babenko fourth round and have another Jones, Bear, Marino or Paigin (I do not know who will end up playing in the NHL from those four, but someone should).

7. Yak2 says:

This draft is so deep. Outside of Puljujarvi, I would LOVE McLeod on the team. Chychrun and Juolevi would be awesome additions as well.

8. Psyche says:

Thank you so much LT! Absolutely love this stuff!

9. Stud Muffin says:

Laine is to low 2/3 with his finish counterpart.
    Chychrun IMO does not have that big of a gap on Juolevi and Sergachev.
    Still miles to go.

10. fifthcartel says:

This year’s draft will be very interesting for the Oilers. Its unlikely they take a center with the depth they have and lack of high end one besides Matthews.

It seems odd that it might make sense to draft a winger but I haven’t heard much about defense in the draft other than Chychrun, Juolevi, and Sergachev.

Actually, it seems really weird that the Oilers haven’t picked a winger first in the draft in 3 years, and only once in the last five drafts (3Cs, 1D, 1W). It really hasn’t felt that way for some reason.

I’m guessing they end in the 3-8 range.

11. sliderule says:

The oilers have to draft a scoring forward to play with Connor era group.

The. Two Finns ,McLeod and Gauthier fill the bill?

12. leadfarmer says:

So Stu’s 2012 93 ov pick who MacT didn’t sign has 4 pts and is +8 in 9 games.

I was surprised by Dube and the strength of his numbers. DeBrincat is interesting (McDavid connection) but I like the blue so far this year.

leadfarmer:
    So Stu’s 2012 93 ov pick who MacT didn’t sign has 4 pts and is +8 in 9 games.

Thank God they got rid of MBS and didnt sign Gutafsson (or Rieder).

15. RexLibris says:

For what it’s worth, Button has a mock draft up at TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/button-s-post-world-juniors-mock-draft-1.418389

He has the Oilers picking 3rd (assuming lottery does not change order, which is very unlikely) and taking Puljujarvi.

CLB – Matthews
    BUF – Laine
    EDM – Puljujarvi
    WPG – Tkachuk
    VAN – Nylander
    CAR – Chychrun
    TOR – Juolevi
    CGY – Dube

That’s five Canadian teams selecting in the top eight.

Oh (dear), Canada.

16. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Thank God they got rid of MBS and didnt sign Gutafsson (or Rieder).

Stu made some mistakes during his tenure.

And who’s to say he’d work well under Green.

Some of his calls were good, others were not so good. What I’ve always wanted to do was determine a kind of percentage you could factor into a draft to gauge GM input. Because I suspect Tambellini really screwed with the sights when he was running the show.

MacTavish had some highs and lows at the podium, but was an improvement during a very short audition. We’ll never know if he would have sunk the ship or improved unless they announce he has some input into the amateur scouting process (I’d wager it’ll be overseas).

But I completely agree that letting Rieder and Gustaffson go was too-typical Oilers stoopid.

17. leadfarmer says:

I do wonder how much of the draft decisions he got to make himself. I’m thinking the first two rounds had a lot of influence from others such as Musil’s boy and Moroz and only later did they go with the scouts choice

18. böök¡je says:

I just want to confirm again – this is just a standard, regularly scheduled draft discussion – not a capitulation on the hopes of the Oilers making the playoffs?

Got the haircut…

böök¡je:

Got the haircut…

I have to do it to inform myself a little so yeah, this was regularly scheduled. I was talking about it earlier a year ago, but the end of the WJs is a good stepping off point for me to bring in people like Corey Pronman, Steve Kournianos, Kirk Luedeke and others for the Lowdown.

20. frjohnk says:

I think those two Finns closed the gap on Mathews. Not that Mathews had a bad tournament, he had a great tournament, but those two were phenomenal.

I hope standings wise, we are nowhere close to picking any of these 3 guys. But if and thats a big IF, we dont make the playoffs and win one of the lotteries, these guys are OK, I guess 🙂

21. Edmonton_fan says:

böök¡je:

Rumor has it that even if we make the playoff – we get a 1st round draft pick… 😉

I just hope they do not trade most of them away as we did last summer. I wasted a lot of time on research!

22. sliderule says:

It’s sad that Stu didn’t make hardly any good later round picks.

The two that are working out the oilers gave away.

The answer for this is in Brownlee’s post on Poti at ON

sliderule:
    It’s sad that Stu didn’t make hardly any good later round picks.

The two that are working out the oilers gave away.

The answer for this is in Brownlee’s post on Poti atON

My son’s favorite Oiler. He started cheering for the Canucks the year after he was traded, got him back in the SC run.

24. MrEd says:

Hey Bruce, excellent bit of writing replete with A-grade photos in your article for the journal today.

Does anyone else feel some weird draw to having an excellent offensive Finn on the team?

25. geowal says:

C Sam Steel, Regina Pats (WHL).

Now that is a name. Isn’t that also a comic character, or an old legend Mountie or something?

26. kevin says:

Lowetide: Got the haircut…

Did they lob off those Batfink wings that you had going there???

Edit: the comment was meant for Book¡je

27. böök¡je says:

kevin: BÖÖK¡JE

They are like a shield of steel, so no.

28. geowal says:

geowal:
    C Sam Steel, Regina Pats (WHL).

Yep, Mountie it is. Spelled Steele though.

29. flyfish1168 says:

I realize we need to build our defense. But we also have no depth for a possible top 6 player coming up. If we are drafting in the top 10 I’m in favor of keeping it to build our depth.

30. square_wheels says:

I really like Benson, watched him often in AAA Bantam evaluation tournaments and WHL camps , as my cousins boy is the same age. Has exceptional feet, huge power in his legs, so the comparison to Hall is natural but he’s got the Nuge edges. As he returns from injury he’s going to climb closer to top 10. Rugged player, gets his nose dirty.

I remember a CHED show around noon (pre Stauffer, can’t recall who’s show it was….maybe it was him ?) but Benson was being universally described as the best Edmonton area prospect since Iginla…..

Edit – Button compares him to Benn, Jaime that is.

31. hunter1909 says:

Ah, draft season begins.

Oilers fans, no longer in sight of playoffs since a decade ago are discussing their annual projected top 5 pick possibilities. Meanwhile, In 2016, Edmonton’s kids label themselves as “Draft Experts”.

This is a snapshot of Katz’s Oilers. A team, whether by accident or design committed to tanking on a scale that exceeds human imagination.

Has there ever been another team like the Oilers in all pro sports?

32. Pouzar says:

John Gibson and Connor Hellebuyck really look over matched in the NHL don’t they?

Anyways………draft talk eh? 🙂

33. Soup Fascist says:

böök¡je: They are like a shield of steel, so no.

When I go, you go, Hugo A-go-go.

Pouzar:

Anyways………draft talk eh?:)

Watching Benjamin playing for Montreal tonight. Not a great night for the defense.

35. Zelepukin says:

Seeing how tight the Pacific is playing out this year and given our draft luck, we could potentially be playing meaningful games in late March/April that will either determine playoffs or a top 3 pick.

36. Soup Fascist says:

square_wheels:

Edit – Button compares him to Benn, Jaime that is.

Benson was indeed a pretty special player as a 13 /14 year old. And still is – just not as dominant. It was Stauffer that called him a “generational” talent. His numbers in Bantam were a bit misleading as the Alberta Bantam league that year had some weak teams. His size and talent allowed him to put up some gaudy numbers.

He still can be a difference maker, but I don’t think will put up huge numbers in the pros. I think he will be a Brendan Morrow more than a Jamie Benn. Still a very good player but I just don’t see “elite scorer” based on his WHL career so far.

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

Hey LT, wondering about a player who was getting some love last year, Brandon Wheat Kings d-man Kale Clague. Has he fallen off a cliff?

38. Jaxon says:

I love the Pacific division this year. The Oilers can play meaningful games right up to the very end and still have one of the best chances at #1 overall.

As far as picks for the Oilers, I don’t think picking a D makes a lot of sense at this stage. There are no right-handed D ranked in the top 15. Save D for some gambles in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to restock the cupboard later as salaries rise. They should be looking for right or left wingers. On Left wing they have Hall, Pouliot and possibly Slepyshev for skill. On the right side they have Eberle and Yakupov for skill with possibly either Kasisan stepping up or Purcell getting re-signed.

BPA, of course you pick Matthews if you have the chance, but beyond that, grabbing (3#) Laine, (#2) Puljujarvi or (#7) Gauthier on the right side would be amazing. I think Slepyshev will eventually show he can rack up points in the NHL. If not, maybe (#5) Tkachuk on the left side. I think they all have the potential of stepping right into the lineup next season or the season after, and a cheap 3 year entry level contract for a player of that calibre will be huge for the Oilers.

39. Rondo says:

1.Matthews

2.Laine

3.PulJujarvi

4.Chychrun

5.Tkachuk

6.Juolevi

7.McLeod

40. admiralmark says:

I expect this pick to be packaged up with x player(s) and sent to some other team for that 1st pair D man… unless this has already been accomplished prior to draft. Especially if it’s in the top 5.

41. Pouzar says:

Wonderful.

VICE News ‏@vicenews 4m4 minutes ago
    BREAKING: North Korea claims it just successfully detonated a hydrogen bomb:

Bruce McCurdy:

Button has him No. 19 from his November look

But he hasn’t progressed offensively

He may have qualities beyond the offense, but seems he has fallen off a lot.

43. Soup Fascist says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Clague is playing behind Provorov and Erkamps and I suspect not getting a lot of sugar time. Watching the kid in Bantam and Midget I had little doubt he could run a WHL powerplay as a 14 year old. The kid is not a monster size-wise but a great skater with very good vision. I loved watching him play in Bantam / Midget though have not seen him in WHL much.

The Wheatie that is a monster is Nolan Patrick. Huge kid who is Brandon’s best player and not eligible until 2017 draft. Crazy good and size. I would be shocked if he is not on Canada’s WJC next year.

44. square_wheels says:

Soup Fascist,

Exactly the player I was looking at as a comp. But like any kid that’s way ahead of his peers, there’s the perceived discount from too many viewings, he’s going to be a great pro.

For a mid first round in a deep draft……nothing wrong with Morrow in his prime. Could be a perfect 2 LW behind Hall. While he’s not tall he’s going to play at 6 ft / 210-215, that’s a power forward any way you slice it.

A trade to a powerhouse team could help his scoring.

45. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Fantastic.

Saudi and Iran about to get all crazy….any other great news ?

46. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Pouzar,

Fantastic.

Saudi and Iran about to get all crazy….any other great news ?

Don’t even get me started. 🙂

47. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Piles money in both socks and coffee cans. Loads shotgun. Buys case of chef boy-r-dee ravioli.

48. Soup Fascist says:

square_wheels:
    Soup Fascist,

A trade to a powerhouse team could help his scoring.

As a player he reminded me a lot of another SSAC kid a few years older who was another NHLer mid first rounder in Mark McNeil.

McNeil put up big numbers in PA and decent numbers in the AHL. He is a heavy player with good skill but for some reason can’t get any traction with Chicago. That’s the problem. When drafting 18 year olds, one fact is irrefutable. Shit happens.

49. square_wheels says:

Soup Fascist,

I never liked McNeil’s skating. To play in Chicago you better be quick, maybe a player someone pulls out of Chicago…..watch LA make him a 20 g guy.

I’m planning some Hitmen games, interested in the Bean.

Can’t wait for Mem cup though, Rebs are going to be ready and a perfect host (the host that ruins the fortunes of the exhausted league champs).

50. admiralmark says:

Pouzar:
    Wonderful.

VICE News ‏@vicenews4m4 minutes ago
    BREAKING: North Korea claims it just successfully detonated a hydrogen bomb:

Even before his birth, the future leader of North Korea was triggering miracles. Official biographers say his birth in a cabin on the slopes of Baekdu Mountain in February 1942 was foretold by a swallow and heralded by a double rainbow. When he was born, a new star appeared in the night sky.
    * The first time he picked up a golf club, in 1994, Kim reportedly shot a 38-under par round on North Korea’s only golf course, including 11 holes-in-one. He then decided to retire from the sport for ever.
    * Kim has the ability to alter the weather simply through the power of thought.
    * The fledgling leader was a genius as an infant, with official North Korean biographies stating that he had learned to walk at just 3 weeks and was talking at 8 weeks.
    * As a junior high school pupil in Pyongyang, he corrected and chastised his teachers for their incorrect interpretations of history.

51. JDï™ says:

square_wheels:
    Pouzar,

Fantastic.

Saudi and Iran about to get all crazy….any other great news ?

NK tests H bomb?

Tampa losing?

52. square_wheels says:

JDï™,

Stamkos signing the Hossa long term discount deal in Edmonton this summer, blow up all the shit you like in North Korea.

53. hunter1909 says:

admiralmark: Kim wrote six full operas in two years, “all of which are better than any in the history of music,” according to his official biography.

Nonsense. There’s a dude who lives in his mother’s house in Sherwood Park who holds that title.

54. hunter1909 says:

Pouzar: BREAKING: North Korea claims it just successfully detonated a hydrogen bomb:

Excellent. Now receiving history making news via Lowetide. Who needs hockey?

PS: The next Korean War is going to be a doozy.

55. Pouzar says:

admiralmark,

So that 5.1 seismic mag. event along it’s coast was random?
    We wait.

56. Pouzar says:

hunter1909: Excellent. Now receiving history making news via Lowetide. Who needs hockey?

PS: The next Korean War is going to be a doozy.

It’s a hoax. If they had WMD the U.S. would be all over it.

57. Seismic Source says:

Off topic, but just returned from reading DSF’s site. Its killing him that Hall is playing so well.

58. Pouzar says:

Seismic Source:

Apt timing indeed.

59. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

They found the seismometer and sledge-hammered the table it sits on ?

Number Un hulkamania leg dropped someone is my guess.

60. razor says:

Watching Lightning Flames game. I’m amazed how mobile Flames D is in the offensive zone, esp. Gio and Brodie. I can’t even fathom how good the Oilers would be if we had that D.

61. Soup Fascist says:

admiralmark: Other North Korean “Claims” regarding Kim Jong II as reported by the state run media include….

* Kim has the ability to alter the weather simply through the power of thought.

Geez. Maybe he can run the point on our power play.

62. square_wheels says:

Seismic Source,

Hissy fits , could in fact, set off a series of seismic events in the pacific rim !

63. Pouzar says:

Why?????? why did I have to check the score board?

64. hunter1909 says:

Pouzar: It’s a hoax. If they had WMD the U.S. would be all over it.

The U.S. prefers attacking tinpot, friendless little nations. N. Korea has China to protect it.

Besides, North Korea’s already kicked the American dream in the nuts.

65. fifthcartel says:

Interesting numbers for last summer’s goalie targets

Neuvirth 18 gp – .934
    Jones 31 gp . 910
    Talbot 21 gp .910
    Lack 15 gp – .892
    Lehner 1gp – .917 (injured all year)

Jones started out on fire but has cooled down since then. Boston owns their first round pick too, currently at 6th overall but still very very early.

66. RexLibris says:

* Kim has the ability to alter the weather simply through the power of thought.

I have a Chuck Norris calendar that bears a striking similarity to the North Korean News service.

Also, if Kim wrote six operas that were all better than anything in the history of music, wouldn’t that negate all of the operas in question as, to quote Highlander, there can be only one?

67. flyfish1168 says:

fifthcartel:
    Interesting numbers for last summer’s goalie targets

Neuvirth 18 gp – .934
    Jones 31 gp . 910
    Talbot 21 gp .910
    Lack 15 gp – .892
    Lehner 1gp – .917 (injured all year)

Karri Ramo 0.912 2014-15, and 0.912 2015-16 was placed on waivers back in October.

68. frjohnk says:

flyfish1168: Karri Ramo0.9122014-15, and 0.9122015-16was placed on waiversback in October.

A prime example of goalie voodoo

69. Kmart99 says:

If the Oilers get Sergachev… Oh boy. No complaints here.

Talbot’s .910 misses all kinds of nuance. HOW he arrived there tells an enormous story and the arrows are strong. He needs to build on it, but his .910 and Jones .910 are not the same.

71. RexLibris says:

Thing about the North Korea hysterics is this:

1. You cannot trust their news releases for reasons demonstrated above.

2. They’re military is designed almost entirely as an international blackmail force in perpetuity, rattling sabres to exact aid packages and money from the international community in exchange for “good behaviour”.

3. Were North Korea to ever conduct an attack using WMDs against the US, South Korea or Japan they would find themselves occupied almost overnight by the Chinese army in order to prevent a “Western-alliance” army sitting in occupation of a territory so close to the Chinese border.

Now, about hockey, the Lightning looked tonight like a team that is unfamiliar with the WC teams. They couldn’t find a way to crack Hartley’s collapse-into-a-fetal-ball defensive scheme and what Ramo saw he stopped and what he didn’t Russell blocked.

The TB defense moves well and they seem to try to set up to fire pucks from multiple angles at a high pace once they have the OZ established.

Oilers played well collapsing into the slot and denying high-slot possession against the Hurricanes, I suspect they will be challenged in having to widen that box against TB next game and whether it is Talbot or Nilsson starting, they are going to have to watch for rapid movement side-to-side.

72. fifthcartel says:

Very true. Him and Jones have basically gone in opposite directions.

I’ll be very interested to see where they both land given how they were among the top available goaltenders.

I’m glad they didn’t spend the 16th, or even this years pick god forbid, on Jones.

San Jose might be giving up a lottery pick for him and with the top 3 selections being included in it now that could be a very dangerous trade, especially for a franchise that could use a high draft pick pretty badly.

73. RexLibris says:

One thing I can’t wait to do when I get back to work (holidays right now have me separated from my spreadsheets…yeah, that sounds really pathetic) is plug in the new numbers from the games since Christmas.

I’ve been tracking sv% for the teams and goalies and I’m really curious to see Talbot’s updated since his recent run (watch him play and get burned against TB now that I’ve said that).

The most interesting thing in this is that I picked several categories to track and then plugged in the numbers and the Canucks are trending down in every single one save Markstrom’s sv%.

Every.

Single.

One.

I’m really looking forward to the end-of-season to see where they finish and how they got there. It could be one of the most intriguing stories of the year.

74. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: I lose more sleep worrying about Pakistan than I do Iran, North Korea or Russia, to name a few.

Good call. India v Pakistan promises to be another localized nuclear war.

Funny all this N Korea talk. Got me re-reading some stuff on General Douglas MacArthur that haven’t seen in years.

75. RexLibris says:

fifthcartel:

Very true. Him and Jones have basically gone in opposite directions.

Wow.

I hadn’t realized that Boston had negotiated a 1st rounder for Jones.

At the time i would’ve thought that was a good deal but fair for both sides.

The way the Sharks are going this year though…ouch.

I still think Sweeney was an idiot for selling Hamilton off like that, but if he essentially recoups two 1st round picks for Lucic (to get Jones in the 1st place) that is a pretty nice example of asset appreciation.

76. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: One thing I can’t wait to do when I get back to work (holidays right now have me separated from my spreadsheets…

You obviously live to work. Why even bother taking holidays?

On the other hand, I’m looking forward to a week at the seashore next June/July.

77. Kmart99 says:

fifthcartel:
    Interesting numbers for last summer’s goalie targets

Neuvirth 18 gp – .934
    Jones 31 gp . 910
    Talbot 21 gp .910
    Lack 15 gp – .892
    Lehner 1gp – .917 (injured all year)

I really wanted Neuvirth or Crawford during the summer. Happy we got Talbot, but there were some nbrs that suggested Neuvirth was way underrated.

Also. I still think Crawford is the most underrated goalie in the league

78. fifthcartel says:

RexLibris,

I think the Lucic trade was actually pretty good considering he’s likely going to get a contract that’s going to hurt. The Jones trade after was really good.

It all depends where that pick lands. If they finish outside the playoffs and gift Boston Matthews/Puljujarvi/Laine, or if they finish higher and Boston gets Michael McLeod or Olli Juolevi. If it’s the former, that’s just awful for San Jose but that’s the gamble they took.

79. RexLibris says:

hunter1909: Good call. India v Pakistan promises to be another localized nuclear war.

India has Modi, who is all kinds of scary and has a very unpleasant political background, to say the least.

Pakistan is worrisome not because of Kashmir and India but because they have the missile range to strike anywhere from Greece to Japan and have been described many times as being one bullet away from being governed by an extremist militia. It is a highly unstable country beneath the veneer of modernity.

Okay, that’s all the geopolitical talk I’ll allow myself here tonight. Pinky-swear.

If anyone is interested though I highly recommend anything Gwynne Dyer has written on the Middle East, Subcontinent (Pakistan included) or North Korea, as well there is a fantastic book called Kashmir: the Case For Freedom edited by the excellent author Tariq Ali which helps to illustrate one of the many extremely complex issues of that region and the primary players involved (spoiler alert: there are no good guys).

Here’s the book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13372892-kashmir

And a related article by Ali on the subject from 2010: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v32/n14/tariq-ali/not-crushed-merely-ignored

Okay, seriously now, not going to go any further. *slaps wrist*

I will resign myself to discussing the petty provincial trivialities of internecine tribal conflict here at home: Flames suck, go Oilers!

80. Pouzar says:

RexLibris,

Thx Rex…will check it out…been on a Middle East crisis kick throughout the holidays.
    Yes……….i need help.

81. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    RexLibris,

Yes……….i need help.

Read Dyer’s The Mess They Made.

It is an older book so a touch out of date, but it is an excellent source that should help to illuminate, as much as anyone can in that region, the period roughly from about the end of the Shah in Iran to the short space of time following the conclusion of the war and the “Mission Accomplished” message.

If you have a library card I know the Edmonton Public has copies.

Dyer has also recently come out with one discussing the rough history of Islamic State. I haven’t read it yet, though from early reports I’m not sure I agree with all of his conclusions, but his perspective is always worth taking in.

If you really want to get a handle on the Middle East history, I’d argue there’s no better place to start than Karen Armstrong. She writes history of religions, specifically the Abrahamic traditions, and she has several that cover Islamic history which, when taken in conjunction with a basic knowledge of political history and an understanding of how nations tend to make decisions (poorly) based on past priorities rather than emerging ones, gives one a very instructive view of the region and helps to understand why the Western nations so often misunderstand or misinterpret the situations there.

If you’re really interested contact me on twitter and I’d be happy to recommend specific titles.

From one junkie to another, you are in for a hell of a ride!

82. dangilitis says:

Jesse Puljujarvi

We had the right idea with picking Paajarvi, but obviously he needs more J’s and less A’s. After all, you can always buy a vowel.

83. ASkoreyko says:

Seismic Source:

He must have an alert setup here since he has already managed to write and entire blog post in rebuttal to your post above in what looks like under an hour.

If that doesn’t seem a little paranoid to you then I don’t know what will.

84. Quinlan says:

It’ll be fun to see who moves up. There’s always a few.

That said, after the 2nd round things are going to get wacky.

85. Professor Q says:

geowal:
    C Sam Steel, Regina Pats (WHL).

There’s John Steele, who seems to have been an early Captain America storyesque WWI soldier (kept in stasis by the Nazis under a human enhancement programme and reactivated in WWII, and fought alongside Captain America). Later a rival to Steve Rogers (stronger snd faster than Steve, has unbreakable skin like Luke Cage, and slowed aging like Wolverine).

As well as a decorated Canadian soldier and NWMP officer in Major General Sir Sam Steele (Klondike Gold Rush).

I’ll let myself out now because I’m probably making a fool out of myself in one way or another…

86. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Read Dyer’s The Mess They Made.

Cheers. 2007.

Will be interesting to see how close his predictions came to fruition.
    I have a library card here in da Peg and I am willing to bet they have it.
    I could use a freebie book after spending over $100 on my 2 Xmas reads.

thx again

87. StevieG_8 says:

razor:

Klefbom and Nurse will be our version I hope.

88. Professor Q says:

dangilitis:
    Jesse Puljujarvi

I think he would fit nicely.

Although Edmonton will indeed be berated by hockey fans and the media for picking another forward high.

ASkoreyko: This made me look up his blog, he seems to have really taken to a model made popular by the far right in the US and Ezra Levant. I get the feeling he is trying to figure out a clever way to call LT the ‘Lowestream’ media or something similar.

If that doesn’t seem a little paranoid to you then I don’t know what will.

I miss him, to be honest. I know he is gone and it is for the best, but the reminded me of a character in my son’s Lego Island video game. The Brickster. Everything would be going fine and then the Brickster would get out. Chaos! RUIN!. You know, calamity can be good for you. 🙂

90. dangilitis says:

OK, I am officially concerned about the Flames making the playoffs.
    3-1 and 4-0 victories, with 0 points from Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler or Bennett compared to 9 pts from the back end.

Seravalli says coin flip between OEL and Gio, meaning he has chosen to neglect the time when Brodie was out and GIo was shit.

As an aside, shooting percentage of Monahan is currently at 13.6% (16.2 last yr), Gaudreau at 13.9% (14.4), Hudler at 9.6% (19.6).

91. dangilitis says:

Professor Q: I think he would fit nicely.

Fuck em all. Cheap skilled forwards like Jesse would mean a forward becomes expendable, but in the form of a trade to bring in a D now. Any D we draft can’t integrate into the club for years and that’s definitely a slower fix for what ails the team. D prospects far exceed our F pool, as LT pointed out, and we should be able to find 3rd and 4th line wingers past the 1st round.

92. ASkoreyko says:

Lowetide: I miss him, to be honest. I know he is gone and it is for the best, but the reminded me of a character in my son’s Lego Island video game. The Brickster. Everything would be going fine and then the Brickster would get out. Chaos! RUIN!. You know, calamity can be good for you.

93. Bruce McCurdy says:

Soup Fascist:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Clague is playing behind Provorov and Erkamps and I suspect not getting a lot of sugar time. Watching the kid in Bantam and Midget I had little doubt he could run a WHL powerplay as a 14 year old. The kid is not a monster size-wise but a great skater with very good vision.I loved watching him play in Bantam / Midget though have not seen him in WHL much.

Oh yeah, Patrick is the real deal. I got an eyeful of him in the playoffs the past two (!) years. Still a year off though, & surely to Gord the Oilers won’t be in his neighbourhood.

Surely?

94. RexLibris says:

dangilitis:
    OK, I am officially concerned about the Flames making the playoffs.

It was bound to happen again given the roster and the way Hartley deploys them. It may not be sustainable, but they will spike here and there.

Look at it this way, maybe they make the playoffs and then have to fight their way out of the Pacific or face a Central Division foe, either way, I don’t like their chances. Maybe they just miss the playoffs in which case they have a very, very slim chance of selecting Matthews, Puljujarvi, etc.

Yup, the Flames are getting points in a division so bad right now it could boast two or even three top-ten draft selecting teams this June, but having looked at the roster carefully and tracking them this year I can say that the team is improving moderately and showing signs of a return to mediocrity.

Gaudreau, Bennett, Monahan and Brodie are going to float this team for a while now.

Gaudreau looks like the kind of player who’ll find his name on a Cup at some point, I’m just not certain it’ll be with the Flames.

They still have a lot of holes there and if they stick with Hartley, which another run to the post-season will almost certainly guarantee, then you can bet they’ll continue to spin their wheels for awhile longer.

95. RexLibris says:

Pouzar: Cheers. 2007.

Will be interesting to see how close his predictions came to fruition.
    I have a library card here in da Peg and I am willing to bet they have it.
    I could use a freebie book after spending over $100 on my 2 Xmas reads.

thx again

I forgot you were in Winnipeg.

I’d be sincerely interested in your take on the public library there. That’s one of the systems in Canada I don’t hear much from.

96. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Proof that Life Ain’t Fair:

Zack Kassian gets to rehab with a view to joining the 2016 Oilers. Sam Gagner, recently banished by Philadelphia prepares himself to become an AHL player.

97. dangilitis says:

RexLibris: Flames drew an astonishing % of their points from D last season, somewhere in the top four or five teams in the league, iirc.

One can only hope – one point out of 3rd place in the Pacific would be perfect, but any playoff hockey in Calgary is just infuriating to endure as a transplanted Edmontonian in Calgary. After this year’s playoffs, moving to Winnipeg where I can easily stomach it if the Jets ever make it 5 of the 6 Western Conference NHL juggernauts

98. dangilitis says:

ASkoreyko: He certainly helped a lot of posters here hone their skills researching and forming excellent rebuttals to his moving goal posts (I know WG had some epic battles with him), so for that I am grateful. I just think it started to take on a life of its own at some point.

Speaking of moving goal posts, he claims that he was right about Hall as Draisaitl’s production tails off and his unsustainable “shooting percentage falls off a cliff.” Hilarious and predictable coming from a man who (a) likely has not watched Draisaitl and Hall’s play beyond his cherry-picked numbers, and (b) predicted in May that Calgary’s 1st line production would only improve this year, despite “completely reasonable” shooting percentages of 14.4, 16.3, and 19.6 from the 3 forwards last year.

Wow, I cannot believe I just visited his site. It is a bit like a car accident you are enticed to stare at.
    Never again!

99. OF17 says:

The only way the top of this draft would’ve been better for the Oilers is if it were filled with RHD. Puljujarvi, Laine, Tkachuk, and Gauthier are all big wingers with skill that would complement McDavid-Draisaitl-Nuge quite nicely. Not a bad year to make improvements but still draft top 7-8.

100. Dixs35 says:

I would like us to draft jost for no other reason than he’s one of my buddies kid and free tix are always nice. Besides that chychrun is the guy I want and I think if his offence doesn’t pick up he’ll fall a little.

101. Cahoon says:

LT, how do you feel about Dante Fabbro? Every scouting report I see says nothing but good things about him, and he is RHD,

102. Seismic Source says:

ASkoreyko,

In all fairness to him, my post was in response to his latest blog, not the other way around. I think being the lone Ying to a nation of Yangs can take its toll on a guy. He does have a track record of being accurate, and that drives me crazy more than anything. He called Schultz, we need to give him that. I enjoy his insight, and my original post was never meant to be disparaging in any way. I actually hope it gets him more traffic.

I made a bet with him on his last article. I sure hope I win.

103. flyfish1168 says:

frjohnk: A prime example of goalie voodoo

Cahoon:

105. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar:
    RexLibris,

…been on a Middle East crisis kick throughout the holidays.
    Yes……….i need help.

That’s funny (not haha funny), me too.

Try this:

Quote from the article:
    As a condition for restoring the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company, in 1954 the U.S. required removal of the AIOC’s monopoly; five American petroleum companies, Royal Dutch Shell, and the Compagnie Française des Pétroles, were to draw Iran’s petroleum after the successful coup d’état—Operation Ajax.

The AIOC is essentially BP today. Royal Dutch Shell was heavily tied to the Morgans and Rothschilds. Yes, those Morgans and Rothschilds.

Also this:

Ever wonder where ISIS gets funding to operate? Interesting how Israel buys oil (indirectly) from ISIS.

Finally this:

The USDOJ documents shown in that article demonstrate the ridiculous nature of what goes on in and around Washington DC.

106. Professor Q says:

flyfish1168: If we all believe goalies are voodoos we need to do something to the oppositions goalie.

Or hire David Bowie as a Voodoo and Hoodoo Dance Magic Consultant?

107. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Lowetide: I have a very hard time slotting any tier 2 league player this high, because none of the things I use (NHLE, comparables, scouting reports from trusted sources, boxcars) applies to the BCJHL. VERY rare for a defender to come out of there, and very difficult to project.

Agreed.

That said I’m fine drafting out of the tier 2 leagues in the back half of the draft, only because the CHL is so heavily scouted that logic dictates that it’s less likely to yield a diamond in the rough. Khaira was a touch early, but I liked the idea behind the pick and still like the player. Marino has upside, we will see how that goes.

But round 1 or 2? That’s tough.

108. shawnmullin says:

Not to put any cold water on Hart or anything but Everett plays a very, very defensive style especially under Kevin Constantine. They have by far the lowest goals against in the league. I’m not saying that to suggest Hart is anything but excellent… I’ve only seen him once but he gets universal praise from people I talk to… only to put things in context. I would think on any other team his numbers would take somewhat of a hit.

109. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia,

Now yer scratching me where I itch…..thx!

110. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

So the thread is going to be replaced in 3 minutes, but,

shawnmullin,

Astute point. Everett is the ultimate defense first club. Compare them to Lethbridge:

Lethbridge: 166gf, 120 ga, (27-12-0)
    Everett: 100gf, 79ga, (22-12-2)

Not to say Hart is bad, but rather that it is super hard to judge given that his team basically only plays defense.

shawnmullin:

I always love your posts, so bring any water or none and we welcome you. 🙂 I looked at that, but even last year Hart was miles ahead of the other guy (in this case Lotz):

112. Bruce McCurdy says:

shawnmullin:

Everett Silvertips are junior’s version of New Jersey Devils … on steroids.