BOXCAR NUMBERS

I am not sure how we got here, but there seems to be at least a small shadow cast on young Anton Slepyshev these days. Candidates for this include Bogdan Yakimov’s jump to the KHL (maybe he would follow?), an AHL performance that lacks impressive boxcars, and lack of information about the player since he left town. Let’s have a look at these things, maybe we can get some idea about what has happened.

slepyshev williams1

Slepyshev’s stats so far this season have not been impressive since a strong pre-season:

• NHL pre-season: 7gp, 2-2-4 (13 shots)
  • NHL regular season: 11gp, 0-1-1 (5 shots)
  • AHL regular season: 20gp, 4-1-5 (42 shots)

Aside from the pre-season (where he looked very good), we see a young man trying to adjust to the two major pro leagues in North America. However, we know he hasn’t played since January 2, and that there is an injury here. I wonder if there was a period during those 20 games that Slepyshev was productive before the injury? Turns out, he was: Check out the numbers between November 22 and December 16:

• 9gp, 4-1-5 (20 shots)

One hopes Slepyshev gets back in the next while and we can see him over a longer stretch at that level. Edmonton is going to need offensive wingers in the next couple of years as some of their top-end players move along, so Slepyshev has a big opportunity if he can prove himself. Edmonton clearly likes the guy, he made the team out of camp, and the reasons were on display most nights.

• Slepyshev on his style of play: “I do not correlate my game to a certain kind of style. I try to grow my game in all directions for example working on the strength aspect, technical aspect and hockey sense aspect of my game. I believe the most important qualities for hockey are performance, persistence, battling strength and speed.”
  • Slepyshev on getting his first point with the Oilers: “I just passed him the puck still in our zone, and then he went and scored all on his own. To be honest, to call that pass an assist is difficult. I haven’t scored a goal in the NHL and that remains my dream!”
  • Slepyshev on what he needs to do in order to get back to the NHL: “When the Oilers management sent me down to the AHL to play in Bakersfield they clearly let me know what I did well and what I needed to work on. I took what I needed to work on and have been developing those skills in the AHL. In my time in the AHL, I have learnt to think faster on the ice and make quicker decisions. I also learned how to play stronger and win battles against the boards. I now understand what a smart decision in this kind of hockey is and I understand what an unwise decision is. I am trying to find the keys to success in this league. I have been working on things that will translate into points. Points are what I really lack.”
  • Source

It doesn’t sound like he will be a flight risk, so posting crooked numbers in California will be important once he is back. Not only does 2016-17 beckon, but you never know what will happen at the trade deadline. He can play either wing and I would rank him among the wingers (Jujhar Khaira, Andrew Miller, Ryan Hamilton) who might expect a recall around the deadline.

OILERS WINGERS SIGNED FOR NEXT SEASON

11. Anton Slepyshev
  12. Kale Kessy (RFA)
  13. Tyler Pitlick (RFA)
  14. Mitchell Moroz
  15. Braden Christoffer
  16. Greg Chase

Players like Leon Draisaitl may also play the wing. For the coming fall, there is a chance Edmonton drafts a winger in the first round who could play right away. They could also sign draft picks who play wing, like Tyler Vesel, Aidan Muir and Evan Campbell. I also think players like Josh Winquist and Marco Roy merit consideration, especially in terms of adding skill.

Anton Slepyshev hasn’t set the world on fire in Bakersfield, but I would like to know more about the injury (upper body) and the impact it may have had on him. 20 games is a small sample size, but you would still like to see more offense. He should get 30 (or so) games in the second half, important games for the young Russian.

54 Responses to "BOXCAR NUMBERS"

1. Optimism is Foolish says:

Guys like Slepyshev are more important to winning than some might think. He may never play top line minutes but represents value and thats a major item going forward as the cap tightens a noose on the oilers over the coming 5 years. GL Anton we will need you.

2. Dominoiler says:

There is a run on aged scotch whiskeys, http://goo.gl/KAcrWP

Maybe Glenlivet 12 is a more solid investment than US currency?!.. Hehe

3. John Chambers says:

Ferraro also said about Anton Lander: “if this guy’s your 3rd Centre you’re in good shape.”

I don’t think Sleppy makes it. Unless he starts out like a house on fire to start ’15-’16 I don’t think the organization spends much more time evaluating him in the NHL. A 6’3″ winger who can skate and score is a godsend, but I think he’s long I the rear-view mirror 5 years from now a la Hartikainen.

Guys like Slappy are key to running unicorns.

There will be salary shed up front to improve the back end and cheaper options will be needed.

I see a loaded up top 6 and the unicorn being a “young guns” line.

I really like this quote:

” In my time in the AHL, I have learnt to think faster on the ice and make quicker decisions. I also learned how to play stronger and win battles against the boards. I now understand what a smart decision in this kind of hockey is and I understand what an unwise decision is. I am trying to find the keys to success in this league. I have been working on things that will translate into points. Points are what I really lack.”

It reminded me of Kuznetov writing his piece in the Player’s Tribune:

My first 10 games in NHL, I don’t understand why guys keep dumping puck. I’m looking at coach like, Is he going to say something? And he’s like, happy about it.

Even Ovi. I see him dump it. I’m looking at him like, What?!

But we keep winning. So I’m like, Ok, well, I guess it’s working.

Now I totally understand why we do this. But at first, I’m so confused. In the NHL, the space is so tight that you can’t think you’re special. If my teammates play 60 hard minutes, do the right things, and then I turn the puck over at the blue line and we lose, I got 22 big guys in the locker room very angry with me. Not good.

source: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/evgeny-kuznetsov-capitals-russia-hockey/

We cannot understate the differences in how they play hockey in Russia and how they play hockey in the NHL, not to mention the size of the ice affecting timing.

Normal, safe, instinctual plays are all different and it takes time learn the different game and then even more time for the new game to become instinctual.

I like that the Oilers have been clear with Slappy on what he needs to do and it sounds likes he’s very open to learning what he needs to do.

That is everything in these situations.

I have high hopes with this player.

5. Derek says:

John Chambers:

That’s quite the narrow view of a 21 year old player with 31 North American pro games under his belt.

John Chambers:

Well, you have already failed him! I do agree the young man has to score, but the KHL spike suggests there is something there. He has a very nice set of skills.

Dominoiler:
    There is a run on aged scotch whiskeys, http://goo.gl/KAcrWP

Maybe Glenlivet 12 is a more solid investment than US currency?!.. Hehe

I would stock up on whisky to drink though.

Let’s be clear here.

8. LadiesloveSmid says:

Erik Gustafson with his 8th assist/point in 15 games. Ouch.

To those thinking I’m nuts about Purcell and $2MM, consider this:

Noted ring wearer Justin Williams scored a hatty today to get to 16 goals. (good for a tie for 26th in the league along with Hall and others)

He was a free agent last year coming off a 41pt in 81 game season.

He was 33 in the summer.

Signed for $3.25 x 2 in WAS.

There is no way on Gord’s Green Earth Purcell is going to garner $3.0 or north.

I think $2.0MM might be high.

10. Water Fire says:

It’s up to him. He seems to be thinking about it, but he has to play according to how he scores. If he does that he is helpful – big fast skilled and can go up and down the line up. He’s the kind of guy needed to take the place of guys like Purcell, Pouliot and Hendricks who are too expensive for what they do

11. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy,

Well Williams did take a low offer to play for a cup contender, teams like that have the benefit of players taking pay cuts to play for them. We as a perennial basement dweller don’t have that benefit. Hopefully someday soon.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy: There is no way on Gord’s Green Earth Purcell is going to garner $3.0 or north.
    I think $2.0MM might be high

I tend to agree here

And the cap is going to be tighter this summer than last

The thing is, the Oilers don’t need to sign him before July 1

I wouldn’t object to offering him a 1 year contract, but only after all the other items on your shopping list are completed

13. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy:
    To those thinking I’m nuts about Purcell and $2MM, consider this:

He was a free agent last year coming off a 41pt in 81 game season.

He was 33 in the summer.

Signed for $3.25 x 2 in WAS.

There is no way on Gord’s Green Earth Purcell is going to garner $3.0 or north.

I think $2.0MM might be high.

Ah, good point. I tried to clarify my comment. I’m not sure if you saw that.

I don’t think Purcell re-signs before the deadline for a number as low as $2.0M. He is making $4.5M and I bet he thinks with a 40-50pt season, he could at least get similar to Williams, even if for less term.

Therefore, I think the Oilers will not get him signed for $2.0M and will trade him before or at the trade deadline. If the Oilers DO sign him, it will be because Chiarelli was willing to go higher than $2.0. I do not think Purcell would re-sign here before the summer for $2.0 and will take his chances on the market.

Ultimately, he may have to settle for $2.0. I am not disputing that. But it won’t happen here in Edmonton before the season ends. If I am wrong, I owe you some whicky (not 25-yrs old!!–maybe 25 days old!)

14. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

On the subject at hand. Holy moly, those are impressive comments by Slepyshev. The man is well spoken, if nothing else.

I really liked his simple, effective game in Penticton. The young man is a player. I hope he makes it back and can contribute for us.

15. bassguy says:

Hi again LT…ya, people, as they are now, get mind numbed into certain music…..my palette in high school was so different than a lot of my friends…because of my older brothers for sure…but Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, ry cooder, little feat, Jethro Tull , the Beatles of course, James Taylor , the Eagles before they went super nova….love that album after peaceful easy feeling…already gone etc..

16. anonymous says:

I’d hope if they draft a winger they’d send him back and let him marinate a little. Gonna need cheap skill players and some separation in contract negotiations would be beneficial.

How much of a difference would another rookie winger make next season, that wouldn’t be trumped by some extra seasoning?

17. theres oil in virginia says:

bassguy:
    Hi again LT…ya, people, as they are now, get mind numbed into certain music…..my palette in high school was so differentthan a lot of my friends…because of my older brothers for sure…but Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, ry cooder, little feat, Jethro Tull , the Beatles of course, James Taylor , the Eagles before they went super nova….love that album after peaceful easy feeling…already gone etc..

My favorite Ry Cooder:

Grown So Ugly

(Ry Cooder on guitars, but the headline artist is Captain Beefheart)

My favorite Jethro Tull:

A Song for Jeffrey

18. jfry says:

i think that this year has been an interesting year for those of us who are the “analytics” guy on the board.

fayne – analytics get, having a tough go on all of our metrics since we acquired him
    pouliot – analytics get, had a career year and now we’re okay if we get rid of him.
    marincin – analytics darling, having a tough time making lineup in two bottom dwelling teams

i think the result has been really put corsi under a magnifying glass and we’ve started to look at different ways to express on-ice-success.

talbot – an analytics get, i believe is still up in the air (boy did we pay a lot)
    ….

and then you have slepyshev, who was completely silent last year until he came back from the spengler cup and then put up some numbers in the last 1/3 of the year in the KHL that started to register some interest…

i love the kid. but watching him come over, along with guys like soshnikov, plachta, plotnikov,etc…compared to panarin, or kuznetsov (outliers)…anyhow. it’s made me a lot more interested in the work that’s being done on league equivalencies. the kuznetsov article and the slepyshev quotes speak to so many issues these guys have to face. regardless, the equivalencies on these guys (who looked like legitimate players) is just completely out to lunch. i feel like league equivalencies are going to go through a major paradigm shift in the next couple of years.

it would be intersting to put the NHLE up against the actual impact rookies to see how it faired as a predictor…http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm?fetchKey=20162ALLSRSAll&sort=points&viewName=summary

there’s an article about the kings, were they start to look into it:

also, LT, i’m just going to throw out a line of articles i’d be interested in. lately, we’ve become very focused on “in game” events…breaking ideas down into very small parts of the play (who is better at breaking in, shots in the box, shot suppressions, etc). but with this signing of talbot, and the idea of making a “championship” team, it’s would be really interesting to look at the bigger picture a little. how are we projecting cap growth? the value of a goalie compared to others against the cap? a player’s value above replacement and what that means for salary, given FRA/UFA/controlled status? i think that there’s a lot of discussions that we just glance on here, that are extremely important in our overall understanding of our team. That Kopitar contract and how LA has been giving out long term contracts is a bit of a head shaker, but maybe it’s not…anyhow…just throwing out some ideas of areas i’d love to read and discuss a bit more. i’ve thought a lot about this after the dubnyl trade. what was his actual value (regardless of short window performance at time of trade)? seems to me, we know this about players in baseball and the nba…it’s a bit of a fog in the NHL. investing a top 15 pick, developing and signing a player to X contract…what’s the actual value that we traded away? what was the actual value of what we got back? it feels like we’ve really dug into game situations to take out visual bias, but when it comes to trades and player retention/trades, we all still give “opinions” … i feel like we can nail this down a little more as a community. the ryjo/jones trade is a great place to really analyze these ideas, to my mind. what is RHN’s real value, if we think about the Dubnyk comparison i mentioned above?

it’s cold out! sorry if this is just all cabin fever nonsense.

19. Woogie63 says:

Pakarinen, Kassian, Slepyshev, and Khaira being added to the NHL roster moves PC’s heavier, more cycling team along at a nice pace.

20. jfry says:

Woogie63,

it also continues tambo’s plan of fielding an AHL team in the NHL. (and i love all those guys)

21. jfry says:

LT, further to my line of thinking…we break down the draft and the trades that MacT made…to get us all those pics for zykov, but then we kind of stop the train of thought…

i’d love to figure out a way to investigate jultz vs. gustafsson (for instance). or even jultz vs. larsen? in the grand scheme of managing a fixed budget (71m) with a fixed roster (50), i feel like we have enough individual measures to start coming up with some interesting metrics…

k. i’m done! happy hot buttered rum day everyone!

22. kinger_OIL says:

jfry,

Great post actually! There is a cold warning in Toronto, and growing up North of 60, I always get a kick out of -10 warnings, but I digress…

– You’ve got some good points and raise issues I think about. Along the lines you mention, I’d really like to explore more of for lack of a better term, the “financial WAR” of players.

– Take Eberle for instance @ $6mm for what another 4 years? People say: “oh you can’t trade Eberle, you would get a bad return” But depending on what that return is, you are also getting a lot of financial flexibility, and that is rarely considered by fans.

– Its a complicated topic, but the economics of building a team, and relative value of long-term contracts vs. being able to use available cash in a cap world is the whole other side of the business of building and running a sports team, that we aren’t privy to. The combination of “fancy stats” and “financial stats” that no doubt sophisticated organiztions use that combine performance with relative economic value is fascinating: I wonder if anyone has insight on this.

– A fan says: “if we trade x, and get back y” and decides if we win or lose, and might make some mention of salary, but it’s way more nuanced and driven by financial modeling no doubt.

23. speeds says:

anonymous:

I wouldn’t be stunned, if they ended up drafting Laine or Puljujarvi, if they tried to do what TOR did with Nylander and get him in the AHL for a year.

24. Zelepukin says:

jfry: i love the kid. but watching him come over, along with guys like soshnikov, plachta, plotnikov,etc…compared to panarin, or kuznetsov (outliers)…anyhow. it’s made me a lot more interested in the work that’s being done on league equivalencies.

i strongly believe that you can never know for certain how well these players will transition to the NHL game until you give them an adequate opportunity. In both Planarian and Keznetsov’s cases they’ve been gifted the best possible scenario. Playing with and learning from veteran all-stars of very similar styles.

Sometimes I think about where our Hall cluster who be right now if they actually had legitimate first line veteran forwards to learn from and play with in their early years.

25. Water Fire says:

I hope Purcell finds a nice home. He has skills, but is as sloppy and undisciplined as the guys he is supposed to compliment.

The talent on the team is known given pedigree and needs players to help them, which in the case of the Oilers because all the skill but Leon is smaller and play light games, means guys to play the hard side.

There is no way they can gain enough ‘hard on the puck’ before the skill guys are all too old without finding some heavy quick. Purcell brings nothing they need more of and Pouliot has been really sloppy and not doing what he needs to either. It’s guys like these in key roles killing the team if they are keeping the core.

Keeping the core and complementing it is the right thing to do given mid tier players are far cheaper and easier to get in many ways.

26. smellyglove says:

In other news, did anyone realize that Sam Gagner had been waived and is now playing with Philly’s AHL affiliate?

8 GP 1-4-5 in the AHL.

27. Optimism is Foolish says:

speeds,

drafting one of those 2 will be huge if Eberle gets moved. We really have no one to replace him in the system and a free agent replacement will be costly. Although Backes would be ideal to replace Ebs on that line if we can afford an overpay for short term and the blues self destruct in the playoffs again.

28. Ryan says:

kinger_OIL,

Dellow wrote an article aptly titled, “costs per wins in the NHL” in 2009. In said article, he exposed the Oilers for spending the most $ for the least number of wins over something like a 5/10 year time period.

In the same article, he lauded the San Jose Sharks as one of the top teams in this regard. He mentioned that the team had been using some combination of stats (sounded mostly like Boxcars) and player cost–all of which was factored for aging curves for several years to create a database.

In short, the Sharks were using some sophisticated financial player-based analysis model for years and at the time of the article, we in contrast had Steve Tambelliini.

29. speeds says:

kinger_OIL:
    jfry,

– Take Eberle for instance @ $6mm for what another 4 years?People say: “oh you can’t trade Eberle, you would get a bad return”But depending on what that return is, you are also getting a lot of financial flexibility, and that is rarely considered by fans.

I don’t think anyone forgets it, but cap space saved is hugely dependent on the return.

It’s one of the things that is often mentioned in terms of a potential Eberle/Hamonic deal, for example.

30. stevezie says:

speeds: At the same time, if they move Eberle for a D, draft one of those guys, and they have a solid camp, there could well be a job available?

This is how I see it going. Either Eberle is moving and the new guy gets a shot, or the new guy never makes it to Edmonton.

If they somehow hit a homerun in free agency maybe we keep them all? Maybe? Is it possible we solve the D purely with a signing? Maybe two?

I suppose it not only depends on who we sign but who is available for trade. I’d rather sign an imperfect solution than force a trade for an equally imperfect solution.

31. stevezie says:

stevezie: speeds

Upon further thought, noting the cap situation this summer, I’m no longer quite as bullish on trading the 1st. There are teams that are going to be desperate to lose salary.

(Sadly I don’t see an exact replica of a Pronger trade, just because no other star has his ability to inspire management to say, “Fuck that guy, get him out of here!” He may be the most traded ultra elite player in N. American sports… certainly recent history.)

32. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    To those thinking I’m nuts about Purcell and $2MM, consider this:

He was a free agent last year coming off a 41pt in 81 game season.

He was 33 in the summer.

Signed for $3.25 x 2 in WAS.

There is no way on Gord’s Green Earth Purcell is going to garner $3.0 or north.

I think $2.0MM might be high.

Agree completely.

Cash him in this deadline and re-approach in the summer.

Negotiate now and you are up against his boxcars.

Wait until summer and you have 20-odd other FA wingers working on your side.

33. pocession charge says:

RexLibris: Agree completely.

Cash him in this deadline and re-approach in the summer.

Negotiate now and you are up against his boxcars.

Wait until summer and you have 20-odd other FA wingers working on your side.

As good as Purcell has been at times this season, I would be surprised if he was re-signed. I just don’t think he fits PC’s vision of roster construction.

34. Really? says:

I believe it is important to the Oilers development cycle to retain all possible 2016 draft picks and, if possible, acquire additional picks at the trade deadline and via trades. We simply need to replenish our prospect pool. Almost all of our decent prospects are currently on the NHL team.

My reasoning is that the only way we are going to significantly improve our D Corps is via a free agency signing, offer sheeting a top pairing D man or making a trade of an established Oiler player such as Eberle or Yakupov plus other assets. Please refrain from spending the picks.

I further believe that Chiarelli will be successful in repairing our defensive corps and that the Oilers will be a solid contender for the playoffs next season. Accordingly, I believe it is important to retain this year’s first round draft pick as it may be the last high pick we make for years to come.

35. GCW_69 says:

Woodguy: I think $2.0MM might be high.

For everyone except the Oilers. You just know instead of stocking up on picks to trade at the draft, they are gonna re-sign this guy for too much money, term and throw in trade restrictions too boot.

36. Mattaklap says:

kinger_OIL,

I often wonder if we will see a WAR system calculated in any way for hockey. It would be really neat to be able to get an idea of cost per win for each individual player as in baseball. This would be particularly useful in the salary cap NHL.

Mattaklap:
    kinger_OIL,

38. Mattaklap says:

Lowetide: http://war-on-ice.com/WARboard.html

Is there somewhere on waronice that has salary correlation to WAR?
    I mean in terms of a linear dollar/win scheme.

39. Water Fire says:

Anybody a little disappointed in Talbot’s contract? I guess he had the hammer.

40. 719 says:

I would give Slepy two years in the A before writing him off.

Onto other matters; The reasoning on this blog from many of the commenters is exactly why Rutherford is such a poor GM. He had cap space this off season and could have found a much better winger than Hagelin for the money.

Don’t be like Rutherford, we do not need a trade for a trades sake. Our season is what it is.

Trade all the UFAs you can, trade Ferrence and Korp if you can.

On a side note, our cap has not been managed well since Tambo was on the scene, but he was afraid of making a mistake. MacT tried some stuff and it didn’t work, I am sure Chia will too. Talbot was a bit of an overpay, but better to go with the devil you know. Just be thankful we do not have any contracts like Kesler’s weighing us down right now.

41. AsiaOil says:

As I said before – I can’t understand the angst over the Talbot deal. Look around the league – we will easily be in the bottom 20% of spending on goaltending. The last thread starts off by saying we don’t win without Talbot playing great – then the grousing starts over paying him bottom end starter dollars – makes zero sense. Like RNH “earned” his $6 million dollar deal after a 52 point rookie season and a 2nd year spent doing nothing much but healing a shoulder that was ripped to shreds. Notable lack of grousing over the value of that deal at the time in comparison. Either you think Talbot’s a starter or not – and if yes – then he’s being paid what a good young starter is worth. It’s Bernier’s contract down to the last dime almost but one year longer – and I’m sure that was a comparable. Last night had zero to do with it. Not much else to discuss unless you think Talbot should just hand the team a deal just for the heck of it.

42. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: I wouldn’t stock up on whisky as an investment just yet as this guy’s technology is set create the same tastes as 25 year olds in days:

I would stock up on whisky to drink though.

Let’s be clear here.

I’m still waiting for smell-o-vision

43. LadiesloveSmid says:

719,

I hope Slepyshev will stay in NA for 2 years unlike his big, fleeing countryman

44. hunter1909 says:

Alex Ferguson, the winningest coach/manager in English soccer with 17 titles was asked the secret of his success…

He said it was the investment in the farm team(soccer equivalent) that ensured a steady well trained stream of excellent young soccer players. he went on to say how his opposition is obsessed with instant success, which lasts 5-7 years, where he goes for consistency.

Then I thought about the pathetic Oilers farm system, with all of the high end youth being thrown to the wolves in the NHL to bust.

I’d give Chiarelli and McLellan 5 years if they need it. Lowe+MacT seriously need to go, however. They’re nothing but poison.

45. Zelepukin says:

AsiaOil:

Totally 100% agree. Add to that the fact that this is a negotiation and we can only assume that Chia did in fact negotiate. Meaning he would have came in lower, or would have had to justify why Talbot should settle for a lower term/price.

46. Suntory Hanzo says:

hunter1909,

I went to a smell o vision movie in Vancouver. They played clips of Kentucky fried movie and others, and a dude with a bbq and big fans have the audience what they desired.

After that, (it was a double feature), a guy was at a LA premiere, handicammed it, then showed it as the second movie… Fondly titles: I’m gonna steal your movie.

Fun night.

47. PhrankLee says:

In my mind they need to pay special attention to this prospect.

He needs to be groomed toward top 6 R. We need to fill out the roster chain at this position carefully. It is not an area of significant depth.

Should the Oilers trade Eberle they get thin.

Unless Yak’s last 2 games make Eberle expendable like Leon’s 36 games makes RNH expendable….

I love Slepy for his size and trigger. If he can learn to crash the net we will have a pretty great prospect on our hands this time next year.

EDIT: Hell the entire squad could use a lesson in reducing the fly-by nature of our attack on the net. Stopping there is often a good idea.

48. G Money says:

Angst aside, did anyone notice that this team, missing a top rank starter on both forward and defense, has now pitched +Corsi in five straight games?

INCLUDING a San Jose game, where historically they’ll put up a near-season low on the the ol’ shot metrics.

When is the last time this team hit above 50% five straight games in a row?

I’m thinking it hasn’t happened since MacT was the full-time coach.

49. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

G Money:

When is the last time this team hit above 50% five straight games in a row?

I’m thinking it hasn’t happened since MacT was the full-time coach.

I’m thinking you need to stop looking at your spreadsheet, nerd, and watch the games, brah. Coach Eakins used to coach to Corsi, and that guy sucked. Maybe if you actually watched a game for once in your life you’d see how frustrating this team is!!!!!!!!!!

; )

50. Pouzar says:

G Money:

When is the last time this team hit above 50% five straight games in a row?

I’m thinking it hasn’t happened since MacT was the full-time coach.

I did notice that. It seems Calgary had a big “chances” advantage in the last one.
    Encouraging stuff though.

51. frjohnk says:

G Money:

When is the last time this team hit above 50% five straight games in a row?

I’m thinking it hasn’t happened since MacT was the full-time coach.

No I didn’t. But I’m not surprised as we may have only had 1 W, we played good enough that we could have won any of the other 4.

52. GCW_69 says:

frjohnk: G Money:
    When is the last time this team hit above 50% five straight games in a row?
    I’m thinking it hasn’t happened since MacT was the full-time coach.

The 61.1% Corsi when trailing over those five games might be helping drive the overall corsi number, although they did put up 50% when tied, so that’s something.

53. G Money says:

GCW_69,

The score adjusted Corsi is >50% in every game as well.

Other point, perhaps the more important one, is that the Oilers have spent at least as much time if not more trailing in games, and yet have not previously (to my recollection) IN THE LAST DECADE managed five games above breakeven.

Pouzar,

Yes, the chances data (e.g. my own Dangerous Fenwick) is much more mixed than the Corsi data.

That said, a. it’s actually mixed rather than bad, and b. I’ve only been tracking that this season as have most folks, so I can’t say if there have ever been any patterns of note the way the 5v5 Corsi has set up this year vs previous years.