SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE

Old man Webster has been up all night, and he still can’t find the words. Watching Connor McDavid cut through Blue Jackets last night was incredible, other-worldly, stunning, and a bunch of words they haven’t invented yet. Bring on the thaw, I am ready for the warmth of the sun and music that swings. Hope rang throughout the north country last night, we have our champion.

IT CAME OUT OF THE SKY, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2
  • Oilers in February 2015: 5-6-1
  • Oilers in February 2016: 1-0-0
  • Oilers after 51 in 2014-15: 14-28-9, 37 points (-51 GD)
  • Oilers after 51 in 2015-16: 20-26-5, 45 points (-23 GD)

Last night was pretty damned encouraging, and we can talk about equaling last season’s win total (24) by the end of February—but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The Blue Jackets are not the Islanders or even the Senators or the Canadiens—a 2-2-0 week was a reasonable expectation yesterday and should be this morning. We are on to Kanata, and maybe someone else will experience Tabernac Saturdays beginning this weekend.

The goal itself was incredible, but to do it first game back? It is the stuff of legends. I said yesterday that McDavid would have to post a good point total (over point-per-game) and the Oilers would have to push toward a playoff spot (turn a 10-point deficit into five points, that kind of thing). He can win the Calder, the story is there to be written.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

oilers blue nov 30

• Reinhart—Gryba received the second most minutes among the three pairings, and when together they broke even. Score effects were in play in a major way, and they did have to play some difficult opposition during the game. Oilers Nerd Alert did have this pairing at a rather substantial 71.1/60 Dangerous Fenwick Against, and that is a fascinating item. As you know, I like to use established metrics, but the difference between the two measures last night interests me.
  • Sekera—Fayne were the best pairing last night to my eye, solid play and good positioning. Sekera is a smart bugger with the puck, and Fayne is standing up like a lion in winter now, God love him. He even did it at THEIR blue line last night, pretty soon he will be doing it at intermission! I hope they keep him, reliable and dependable won’t go out of style in my lifetime. This pairing had a 33.5 Dangerous Fenwick Against.
  • Nurse—Clendening bring up the rear and Nurse was taking a lot of heat last night online. I felt the duo had a reasonable night—I didn’t think the Nurse pinch was a bad decision, but the young man didn’t follow through by getting the puck to a good place. After that, he was strong, physical, moved the puck well and (for me) was on the right side of the offenders most of the night. That said, if he ends up in Bakersfield because Brandon Davidson and or Oscar Klefbom have been activated, I don’t think it should drive us to reefer madness. People need to stop dying on all these damned hills. Seriously. G’s DFA number was 17.3, and I encourage conversation about how we marry these two sets of numbers (Corsi and DFA) together. As you know, I am real Rel gone, but like to try to keep up with the smart people. So I welcome the discussion.

In regard to Nurse, I think we have to stop taking every moment and parsing it into minute bits. If you see a critical post or tweet, perhaps examine it to see if it has value. The young man has struggled, there is no denying it. Defense is a tough position to play, he is 20. Give him time, and if it is in Edmonton please be patient. And if it is in Bakersfield, please don’t jump off a moving train or climb out on a ledge. Brandon Davidson is going to be activated in time for Thursday, and Griffin Reinhart has earned the opportunity to stay, in my opinion. Who do they send down? My guess is we are back to eight defenders.

MCDAVID’S MCDAVIDS, LAST NIGHT

oil c nov 30

• Leon Draisiatl scored a terrific goal, 65 percent in the dot and centered the only line that was over 50 percent in possession (keep in mind those score effects).
  • Mark Letestu got an assist, reward for lots of hard work, 5:52 on the PK and 52 percent in the dot.
  • Matt Hendricks was physical and rambunctious, seems to me coach McLellan has him playing with more edge and swagger. I hope he can keep this up!
  • Connor McDavid had a night we will remember a long time, the most memorable night of his young career. It killed us to wait so long for it, but to watch him dominate was something I will remember forever. He is a special player, we are a lucky fan base and the Katz group is fortunate to have him and us. Music! What a future! Watching McDavid last night, especially on the goal, reminded me of that scene in Indiana Jones where Indy is in a hurry but the sea of people parts, revealing an expert swordsman. Indy has no time, so pulls out a pistol and end scene. Hilarious.

WINGERS, LAST NIGHT

oilers f nov 30

• Yakupov—Kassian had a good game to my eye, Kassian got an assist and Nail had two takeaways and was on the right side of the play often. Kassian had a ridiculous giveaway that resulted in a chance, but I liked both men’s performance.
  • Hall—Purcell were quality, TP getting significant PK time and handling it well. I know his speed gets people down, but if Chiarelli goes to market and cannot find reasonable trade value, then signing him to a reasonable deal is the best plan of action.
  • Pouliot—Eberle were part of the main feature last night, both men going 1-1-2 and the line posting 10 shots on goal. Eberle looks a little slow off the mark, I wonder if he is carrying an injury. Anyway, great night from this line.
  • Korpikoski—Pakarinen played more than Yakupov-Kassian, I find that curious but McLellan likes that Hendricks trio.
  • I think the Oilers could roll with these eight wingers next season and be successful.

INDIVIDUAL HIGH-DANGER SCORING CHANCES

1. Connor McDavid 3
  2. Zack Kassian 2
  3. Jordan Eberle 1
  4. Mark Letestu 1
  5. Iiro Pakarinen 1
  6. Matt Hendricks 1

DO THEY BRING BACK SCHULTZ?

One suspects Todd McLellan would run the current group, but he did say Brandon Davidson will be ready for Thursday. Who comes out? Will Justin Schultz also draw back in? Interesting times for the Oilers, who have some options here. For me, the Sekera—Fayne pairing is golden, and I do like Reinhart—Gryba as third pair. So, if we ask ourselves who Davidson plays best with? Looks like you can play him with damned near anyone. We are reaching a point where the Oilers probably have to think about offloading Fayne, Schultz or Gryba. Could that happen this week? We wait.

MCDAVID’S POINT-PER-GAME

Here are the top five rookies (10 or more games) this season in points-per-game:

1. Connor McDavid 1.07
  2. Artemi Panarin 0.87
  3. Shayne Gostisbehere 0.77
  4. Dylan Larkin 0.69
  5. Jack Eichel 0.68

He could win this thing. McDavid is famous, fantastic, and his goals inspire gasps, vapors and rushes of adrenaline from onlookers. This is a story every hockey blogger and writer can dig their teeth into, and the young man is both magic and manic. What a story.

picard

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. McDavid, McDavid, McDavid, McDavid.
  • Brad Gagnon, Bleacher Report. The Super Bowl is Sunday. Cam Newton is the story.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. McDavid, New Leafs logo, Habs spinout.
  • Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. Did the Oilers handle McDavid’s recovery in the correct manner?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

266 Responses to "SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE"

« Older Comments
  1. Магия 10 says:

kinger_OIL:
    Магия 10,

– They don’t need to define the injury.Its really f$ng simple:

1) Injury? : Yes:“any physical force…expected to cause injury”

2) Should have known better? Yes: “player knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury”

And he was a linesman, not a referee.

~ I know but colloquially he’s a ref not a lin ~

There is a line between 10+ and 20+. The arb’s standard isn’t to presume to have intent or presume not to have intent but balance of probabilities. Wideman’s contact with the boards may be relevant to the intent to injure. Or perhaps not.

2. Eh Team says:

kinger_OIL: All the speculation of concussion, or whether he meant it, or his past behaviour doesn’t matter. the rule is clear, and I applaud the NHL for their correct application:
    “For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player
    knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury”
    – For sure, he should have known that by jumping up and cross-checking the ref would cause injury. the actual use of the word “intent to injure” is misplaced: he should have known or it was reasonable to expect, and that was the logic applied. The concussion argument is nonsense, he played the rest of the game at a high level, making many more split second decisions.

Yeah, it’s an obvious 20 games. If anything they were lenient considering the circumstances, as 20 is the minimum he should have got.

3. frjohnk says:

Last night, Oilers faced the team that is giving up the highest G.A.A.
    Tomorrow night, they face 29th highest G.A.A team
    On Saturday, they face Montreal, worst team since Carey Price went out.

Perfect teams for McDavid to shake the rust off against.

4. Snowman says:

G Money,

I would have expected that Montreal dashboard to have more red..

5. haters says:

How similar are the point totals of the Sens of last year compared to us ? Is there a chance ?

6. PhrankLee says:

I also didn’t realize how much the pick play was part of McDavid’s repertoire.

He gets away with it every shift and not out of respect but because he is so damn good at it. I watched a few replays and he just nudges himself enough into the path of an opponent and makes a play while taking his man out of contention for space and puck.

Talent.

7. Factotum says:

You know what they say:
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

8. delooper says:

Caramel Obvious,

Well, that would make sense if he thought he was playing rec hockey. Pro players know officials are on the ice so their default response should not be to mow down people.

9. who says:

pocession charge,

You think Pacioretty and Markov like Subban. I think they tolerate him because he is that good. The donation was a great thing but I think old school players get tired of all of his LOOK AT ME antics

10. kinger_OIL says:

Магия 10,

– Last post, then GOILERS! “intent to injure” doesn’t mean what you think it means, as per NHL

Wideman’s penalty is insanity based on the NHLs own established past imo. If they are going to penalize players based on the actual rulebook, then I am all for it. But they have to be fair across the board. We will see.

12. Магия 10 says:

Connor already has us looking at prospects differently to see who might be available after Columbus, Buffalo, Toronto, Calgary, and Winnipeg draft.

Not anything to brag about but if Price is out in March are we the last Canadian team at the draft table this year? Too weird to contemplate… until Saturday night.

13. Магия 10 says:

kinger_OIL:
    Магия 10,

No doubt. But the arb is the the wild card. He can go all balance of probability on them.

14. pocession charge says:

who:
    pocession charge,

I wouldn’t speculate on who likes whom because I don’t know them. Carey Price seems to like him a lot, though. Perhaps the issue (if there is one — I’m skeptical) lies with Patches and Markov. Perhaps this is another ‘Belanger mad at Yak because he skated past me after the goal to slide down the ice’ situation. I don’t know. But Subban makes the Oilers better. Full stop.

15. Snowman says:

I haven’t the foggiest idea why it would matter if PK Subban was liked by everybody.

I’ve never been in a group of 25 guys and been good buddies with all of them. Especially when there’s been a widespread of ages and cultural backgrounds. Different personalities. As long as he’s not a complete asshole who does cocaine on the massage table I don’t care. He’s absolutely one of the best Defenseman in the world. Sign me up.

16. Doomoil says:

who:
    AsiaOil,

Interesting trade proposal. Not sure if I would throw yak in the deal. Without him it might be an even trade but don’t know if I want Subban in the Oilers locker room. If I was a player I think I would get tired of him real soon. I would prefer the Eberle for Hamonic scenario and it would be considerably cheaper in terms of talent going out and salary coming in.

How am I supposed to read this without racist undertones?

17. Doomoil says:

who:
    pocession charge,

So get rid of the stupid ‘old school’ players then.

18. Doomoil says:

haters:

The Sens are abysmal.

Good goaltending and a Hart worthy performance by EK are the only things keeping them afloat.

19. who says:

Doomoil,

Wow. How was my comment racist? Just not a big fan of showboats who constantly crave the spotlight. I think he is a great player, who has modified his game at the cost of some offensive stats(a credit to him) . And I agree Montreal is not going to trade him.

20. hunter1909 says:

Snowman: None of this matters because Montreal won’t trade him because it would be insanity.

Patrick Roy says hello.

21. Caramel Batman says:

You can’t lose that trade for Subban and I already don’t remember who was in it.

Subban is a great hockey player.

22. haters says:

Doomoil,

I meant last year when they went on that run, or was that the year before ?

23. Snowman says:

hunter1909: Patrick Roy says hello.

Valid point.

24. Greg says:

The video of McDavid signing the kid is gold. The kid squirms and tries to cry but Connor bares down and gets the job done.

Very end of the clip.

25. hunter1909 says:

Doomoil: How am I supposed to read this without racist undertones?

I read it without racial overtones.

You sir, have the English reading comprehension of an idiot.

26. sliderule says:

To me it looked like Wideman was pissed either at being hit or no call.He then runs into the linesman and in annoyance gives him a get out of my way cross check.
    Twenty games seems pretty severe.
    The linesman in the NHL are way more aggressive than 15 years ago.They look to be bigger almost to the point of too much testosterone ..They used to passively separate the players from scrums and now they will aggressively push a player.An example was Kassian and a linesman after a scrum having a push and shove match a few games ago..
    The players and linesman used to be almost buds.The linesman would protect the players and break up fights so you were less likely to get hurt.With the new aggressive linesmen I don’t think the players feel that way anymore.

27. blainer says:

Caramel Obvious: Q

It sounds like you have had an experience like this.. so I have to ask the obvious question..

Just curious How many Referee’s have you hit from behind ?

28. G Money says:

Snowman,

Me too. I was genuinely surprised.

29. PhrankLee says:

Doomoil: How am I supposed to read this without racist undertones?

Try not imagining it lurking behind every comment you read, I would submit. Because the only person to imply anything remotely related to race is you, my friend. 🙂

30. blainer says:

sliderule:
    Twenty games seems pretty severe.
    The linesman in the NHL are way more aggressive than 15 years ago.Theylook to be bigger almost to the point of too much testosterone ..They used to passively separate the players from scrums and now they will aggressively push a player.An example was Kassian and a linesman after a scrum having a push and shove match a few games ago..

Ya I think he wanted to get back to the bench and the linesman was in his way and he was frustrated. I’ve been there like that with players but never a referee.

I suspect that was what Carmel may be getting at as he may have experienced this in a game with a player also.

I also think 20 games is too much.

31. leadfarmer says:

Yeah no one wants Subban on his team, what with all that charitable work and giving money to children’s hospital. What kind of influence would he be on our young players. We need guys to teach them to blow money on crap they don’t need instead of giving it to the less fortunate.

32. Caramel Batman says:

blainer: I do get what you are saying but have to say it sure looked like wideman new what he was doing to me. Albeit I was not in his head.

Just Howmany Referee’s have you hit from behind ?

And I’ve seen guys go after referees. It doesn’t look like what Wideman did. Indeed, the Wideman thing is very strange, without precedent, which is one of the reasons the straightforward explanation that he meant to do it makes so little sense. I’ve seen guys who meant to do things and it doesn’t look like what Wideman did.

He’s explanation, on the other hand, makes total sense, so long as you remember that hockey players survive on an adrenaline that drives quick and immediate aggressive response.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

One potential counter to the “you develop a history” argument here:

the group doling out the suspension is not the dept of player safety.

But, generally I agree with the following: the suspension is solid on non-bs claims; the NHL (broadly) is terrible at these things

———–
    Subban… man… what a waste of a conversation. He’s not moving and if he was you’ve got issues if you don’t trade for him. big ones.

34. Bobo says:

haters: r when they went on that run, or was that the ye

Looks like Ottawa was 10 points out with 27 games remaining. Had to finish 21-3-3 to make it with a couple points to spare.

35. AsiaOil says:

How’s this for a 2nd half objective – finish ahead of CAL, VAN, WIN and PHX. The top 3 in the Pacific have emerged and there is no catching them – but we can prove to be better than the the desert dogs and the Canadian also-ran squads. Reasonable?

Time to put down some marks for next season and draft position be damned. But that doesn’t mean you don’t deal guys like Purcell, Shultz and Fayne for picks or grab a RHD dman in a hockey trade if he’s available.

36. blainer says:

Caramel Batman: I’ve never hit a referee, but I’ve definitely raised my hands, lowered my shoulder, etc. to protect myself against unexpected things.

And I’ve seen guys go after referees.It doesn’t look like what Wideman did.Indeed, the Wideman thing is very strange, without precedent, which is one of the reasons the straightforward explanation that he meant to do it makes so little sense.I’ve seen guys who meant to do things and it doesn’t look like what Wideman did.

Ahh .. this is very true. Hockey is an in the moment game.. the worst thing is when you mark the wrong player.. hate when that happens.

Well it doesn’t happen much anymore as I am an old timer now but I still play..

37. böök¡je says:

Insanity which way. Honestly, I thought it would be more. The officials are a ‘no go’ zone. Its not Stampede Wrestling out there.

38. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

All of the arguments around Wideman being fueled by adrenaline and “stuff happens in the heat of the moment” are complete and utter BS when it concerns referees.

How often do linesmen get punched in the head when they break up fights? How often do players shoot pucks at them, push them, nudge them or generally even get right up in their faces when the player himself is angry? Sure they yell from a distance or maybe back in the 90’s you’d have coaches throwing stuff off the benches but the answer to all of those questions is close to zero.

Maybe I was taught different when I played hockey but its right up there with learning how to stop, one of the first things you learn is to never touch a referee. There is a giant power imbalance in the game of hockey between refs and players and the player will never ever win.

I have no idea what Wideman was thinking but it sure of hell looks like he pushed the guy. Did he intend to hurt him? maybe not but if you watch the replay he bangs his stick on the ice, waves it to signal for a change and then pushes Henderson square in the back. Even if he didn’t mean to are you kidding me that he wouldn’t have recognized the stripes immediately after and stopped to check on him?

He got 20 games because he intentionally pushed a linesman, pretty straight forward if you watch the video.

39. blainer says:

AsiaOil:

Agreed.

One or two of those teams need to get significant injuries or a real bad run on goaltending in order for us to get in.

I really think we would have won at least half of those one goal games if CMD had been healthy or we would have least picks 6 Bettman points and still be in the hunt.

My hope is still for playoffs but in reality I hope we win the second overall pick and get Laine.

I want him over Matthews.

40. Магия 10 says:

AsiaOil: How’s this for a 2nd half objective – finish ahead of CAL, VAN, WIN and PHX

If you catch VAN you might catch all the Canadian teams and draft behind all of them 😉

~ Weird right, Connor? that happened to my Oilers too. Call me, Mess ~

Here’s why with current standings points/game:

Vancouver 1.02

Winnipeg 0.94
    Calgary 0.94
    Edmonton 0.92
    Toronto 0.92

41. oliveoilers says:

Caramel Batman:

Subban is a great hockey player.

Now this is something I 100% agree with.

42. hunter1909 says:

1 – Check the NHL standings on NHL.com
    2 – Discover NHL.com has been reformatted
    3 – Remove NHL.com from computer

43. Магия 10 says:

hunter1909:
    1 – Check the NHL standings on NHL.com
    2 – Discover NHL.com has been reformatted
    3 – Remove NHL.com from computer

See. Connor changes everything.

44. RexLibris says:

Магия 10: 0 of 2. That’s a huge take away. And they were both out there in the 3rd?

At least the concussion protocol is consistent, right?

Didn’t this happen earlier this year where a goalie (Riemer? Varlamov? Can’t recall who) was IR’d after a game with post-concussion symptoms after he’d finished the game where he took the injury?

It isn’t precise, but it does have to be better.

45. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris: At least the concussion protocol is consistent, right?

It isn’t precise, but it does have to be better.

Yep. With goalers odd behaviour or bad reaction is harder to spot. With refs near impossible.

46. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    I got a bit of a heart palpitation when I got a follow on the NerdAlert twitter account today from ‘Brad Treliving’!

But it was just @FakeFlamesGM.

That’s what they WANT you to think!

They are watching you, G.

They are watching all of us.

47. RexLibris says:

Is the penalty insanity or is the past behaviour?

48. SwedishPoster says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:

This. Doesn’t matter if he was dizzy or angry or didn’t see him until the last second. You push a ref to the ground hard enough for him to get a check up at the hospital you’re going to get penalized hard and you damn well should be. They are off limits even if they’re having the worst game in the history of hockey and you just got your face busted from here to southern Jupiter. The refs are civilians as far as physicality goes. Stay away.

49. Магия 10 says:

Rondo:
    Local Media Still Trying to Save the Phoenix NHL Team

That is truly weird. So the Kings owner (AEG) will run the Coyote’s arena and the Vegas arena?

50. Магия 10 says:

NHL has Flames onside. Wideman apparently exempted from roster count which is not automatic. (flames *spit* nation)

Next step. They trade him or waive him to avoid the calls when he comes back.

51. Snowman says:

* Via the Elias Sports Bureau, McDavid is the first player to record multiple three-point games in his first 14 career games — all with the Oilers — since Gord Sherven accomplished the feat in his 10th career game on Oct. 24, 1984

52. Магия 10 says:

Snowman:

OK. Here comes the strange part. He played 97 NHL games.

53. Snowman says:

Магия 10,

Call Mulder and Scully.

54. hunter1909 says:

Магия 10: OK. Here comes the strange part. He played 97 NHL games.

cue: “Monster Chiller Horror Theatre” music.

55. Factotum says:

I did this on the back of a napkin last night, so I could have made mistakes, and it’s highly fluid anyway, but by my guesstimate: Of the OIlers’ remaining 31 games, 21 are against teams that do not currently hold a playoff position.

So then I started thinking: if they go 7-2-1 three times, then they’d have 90 points with one game to play, and, and, and… this was the point where I began to feel very foolish indeed. LIke when you’re 17 and you realize you’ve spent an hour arguing with your best friend over who would win – Batman or Spider-Man.

Young Mr. McDavid almost makes one believe. Almost.

It’s kind of nice to know I can still feel young and foolish at my age.

By the way, having had the privilege of being in the stands to watch Wayne Gretzky so many times in the 80’s, I was so inordinately happy for all the fans at Rexall last night I was almost giddy. May they enjoy many nights just like it in the new arena.

56. Магия 10 says:

hunter1909: cue: “Monster Chiller Horror Theatre” music.

I was holding out for Joel, Tom Servo, or Crow. But Count Floyd works.

57. JDï™ says:

hunter1909: cue: “Monster Chiller Horror Theatre” music.

BRUNO!

Sorry boss – must have been the chilli…

58. LoDog says:

The Wideman thing seems pretty split. Personally don’t care why he cross checked the ref only that he did it.

Glad gazdic is going down kassian and gryba can actually play and cover that.role.

Good bye enforcers. Fighting should happen about as often as say someone like Iginla or like the playoffs.

59. Water Fire says:

PK is righteous, but a guy has to do a lot to earn over 9M and be a net positive in a capped league. At least be an all situation dominant player.

60. Магия 10 says:

This is hardly the same thing. But folks were wondering what the natural reflex is when you discover you are about to collide with a ref:

(h/t Wyshynski)

61. oliveoilers says:

Snowman:
    Магия 10,

Call Mulder and Scully.

Did you see Monday’s X-Files? Had Murray from Flight of the Conchords as a reverse were- lizard.

Hilarious.

62. Caramel Batman says:

Магия 10:

(h/t Wyshynski)

I’ll be accepting concessions all night.

63. Really? says:

pocession charge: I realize that it is complete speculation on my part, but I think Wideman was pissed off that there was no call on preceding play where he took a high hit.I think he made a bad split-second decision and cross-checked the ref out of frustration and anger.Doesn’t make him a sociopath or a bad guy necessarily.He just made a bad decision and is now going to pay the price for it.

My perspective is very similar. Wideman’s reaction after being hit was very typical of athletes playing contact sports:
    1. collect your wits
    2. get angry
    3. lash out

I have seen it repeatedlynin hockey where a fight follows a clean body check. Players playing at elite levels are macho, highly competitive and must constantly reinforce these traits. It is, in part, what makes them elite.

Widemans actions were intentional and he deserves 20 games or more.

64. stevezie says:

Caramel Batman,

Even when we don’t see eye to eye, your name is batman.

Dammit if i don’t respect you.

« Older Comments