G71 2015-16: COYOTES AT OILERS

The Edmonton Oilers welcome back Ryan Nugent-Hopkins tonight, and it offers us all kinds of opportunities to speculate. Possible lines, possible trades, possible destinations—some of these subjects are more palatable than others.

THAT COYOTE, THAT COYOTE, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2
  • Oilers in February 2015: 5-6-1
  • Oilers in February 2016: 4-8-2
  • Oilers in March 2015: 5-6-3
  • Oilers in March 2016: 4-2-0
  • Oilers after 70 in 2014-15: 19-39-12, 50 points (-74 GD)
  • Oilers after 70 in 2015-16: 27-36-7, 61 points (-36 GD)

Oilers lost in a shootout to the Columbus Blue Jackets one year ago, and we were talking about a Nail spike and the 2015 draft.

DEFENSE 2015-16

OILERS DEFENSE OVER SEASON

• Brandon Davidson and Oscar Klefbom are injured, but both men are signed for next season and this graph suggests they could represent 33 percent of a quality top 6D—if they can stay healthy. When does a manager decide he can no longer count on a player to stay in the lineup? Oscar has collected a few maladies along the way, Davidson has been less prone to injury but has a story to tell in the health department. Great stories, with uneasy rising.
  • Adam Pardy has looked good to my eye, early days but you can tell he is a veteran and he does things with a veteran’s confidence. Is he a better 7D than Eric Gryba? It may come down to that, I would probably go with the righty. Adam Clendening could give them a different look at 7D, if the Oilers choose to go that way.
  • Andrej Sekera and Mark Fayne would be two of the veterans I would bring back next season, maybe run with eight blue. The pairing might be an effective second pairing if the first duo is dynamic enough—but I wonder if the team wants to run with Fayne next year.
  • Darnell Nurse had a nice early run after callup this season, but should have been sent back down. Is it too late? After 10 games with Edmonton, Nurse was 1-4-5 with a possession number of 49.3 and a SCA/60 5×5 total of 23.89. Those are good numbers.  I think he can be a good NHL defenseman, but the Oilers should not devote too many spots to young blue next season. Perhaps Nurse is the only one who should make it.
  • Jordan Oesterle and Griffin Reinhart are auditioning for next season, and the college kid is winning the race to my eye. Of greater concern: Oesterle is not a high bar. That trade is beginning to look like ‘the rights to David Rundblad have been traded to Ottawa’ and one wonders if the other part of the trade ends up being an impact player. GR needs to do what Leon Draisaitl did last summer, and he may need another year in the AHL. I am all for waiting five years after a draft to see what the player really is: This is year four.
  • Dillon Simpson is 1-4-5 +6 in his last six games. I wrote about him over at ON recently, it is interesting to see a little spike in his game with others up in Edmonton. Small item, but worthy of a line or two.

Every once in awhile, someone (like G Money recently) will post information here, and if it has value people will start drilling down and asking questions, making suggestions. That’s exactly how it happened on blogs like IOF and mc79hockey, and should continue with Sunil, G, Darcy and the other men and women who post on the web. I agree with what Dellow said in the Cullen quote, that is the test. If you can convince the really smart people who frequent the various blogs and online communities (twitter is becoming a very strong option), then it probably has extreme value. I recommend starting your own blog and developing a community that way, and of course if you email me I promise to listen (have a meeting on Monday with someone who has some ideas). The general idea is to get good information out there, and over the years this blog has helped a little. So, if you have an idea or have produced something of note, please share with the class.

nuge tsn list

CENTERS, 2015-16

OILERS CENTERS OVER SEASON1

• Connor McDavid is posting an outstanding season (33, 14-21-35) as a rookie, he should be even better in year two—and healthy. We are almost through the schedule and stats are wild with this guy. One item that is fascinating: one minute and 58 seconds at 5×5 with the Nuge.
  • Leon Draisaitl is a nice option for the non-McDavid line, now we just have to figure out if it is as a center or wing. I look at him (ideally) as a player who could (along with the Nuge) slide up and surprise (like a ukulele) opposition defenses with different looks during the game. 60, 17-29-46 in his real rookie season.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is back! I am thrilled, love this player. A tad worried about his future as an Oiler, we could be watching his final dozen games. 46, 8-22-30 this year, if they trade Dave Keon this summer get ready for a major sulk from this blog.
  • Anton Lander and Mark Letestu are both signed for next season. Let that sink in.

LEFT WINGERS, THIS SEASON

OILERS LW OVER SEASON

• Patrick Maroon will cool down. Pretty sure.
  • Taylor Hall’s rocket season, the one that could have seen him exceed 80 points, has been sputtering for some time. I hope he can hit 70. Still, enormous talent, fine year. 70, 22-35-57 so far this year.
  • Benoit Pouliot went 55, 14-22-36 before losing his season to injury. The numbers above tell us he had a very effective season.
  • Jujhar Khaira is 6-8-14 in his past 13 AHL games. He might make this team in the fall.
  • Lauri Korpikoski is 59, 9-9-18 but the numbers above tell us he is not helping. Somewhere between waiving Fayne and putting the Finn on a line with McDavid, I became convinced Todd McLellan is not following the analytics in some areas. Or he is not reading them correctly, but that seems unlikely. Suspect he values Korpikoski for his speed, veteran presence and secondary scoring. It isn’t enough, so Peter Chiarelli must trade or buy out the Finn. Seriously.
  • Matt Hendricks has had an unusual year, I like him everywhere but center. 57, 3-6-9.

RIGHT WINGERS, THIS SEASON

OILERS RW OVER SEASON

• Jordan Eberle (57, 20-20-40) has been averaging 27.77 goals per 82 NHL games, that has real value. Slow lately, think he will cash in bunches if they keep him with McDavid.
  • Nail Yakupov had some nice 5×5/60 totals not so long ago, his offense has cratered under the strain of intense Letestu. 48, 6-10-16 this year.
  • Zack Kassian (24, 3-4-7) would be a great No. 8 hitter, a replacement level No. 7 hitter and a poor No. 6 hitter. I think Maroon might eat his lunch on the skill line job for next season, at least at times.
  • Iiro Pakarinen (53, 4-4-8) hasn’t posted much offense lately, one point since January 21. His Oilers career may not last longer than Korpikoski’s. Todd McLellan is playing him too much, in my opinion.
  • Andrew Miller was loaned to the Charlotte Checkers, that can’t be good for his Oilers future.

AHL SCORING, LAST FIVE GAMES

I am unsure the Condors make the playoffs, so this might be the home stretch for prospects to show well. With all of the trades and recalls, there is often a re-set this time of year. It is reflected in the numbers below: offense in the past five games (including last night).

1. Anton Slepyshev 5, 2-3-5
  2. Jujhar Khaira 5, 2-2-4
  3. Josh Winquist 5, 0-4-4
  4. Brad Hunt 5, 1-3-4
  5. Tyler Pitlick 5, 1-2-3
  6. Matt Ford 5, 1-2-3
  7. Dillon Simpson 5, 0-3-3
  8. Ryan Hamilton 5, 2-0-2
  9. Rob Klinkhammer 5, 1-1-2
  10. Josh Currie 5, 0-2-2
  11. Bogdan Yakimov 4, 0-2-2
  12. Mitchell Moroz 4, 1-1-2
  13. David Musil 5, 0-1-1
  14. Jordan Oesterle 3, 1-0-1 (NHL)
  15. Phil McRae 2, 1-0-1
  16. Ben Betker 2, 0-1-1
  17. Marco Roy 1, 1-0-1
  18. Kyle Platzer 1, 0-1-1

Young and hopefully emerging prospects in italics, it is good to see Slepyshev, Khaira and Winquist at the top of recent scoring. The Oilers trading of Andrew Miller, combined with what looks like lesser roles for some of the veterans, is allowing the kids to perform—and they are posting offense. The playoffs seem far away, though.

INJURIES

• Todd McLellan: “The magnitude has gone from role players who don’t play very much to dominant players. It’s affected us and I believe it’s affected our record somewhat.” Source

A solid article on the subject by Rob Tychkowski and definitely worth a read. I find the entire thing very frustrating, partly because there is at least a chance Peter Chiarelli will arrive in summer without seeing RNH in his best light. Something similar may have happened last summer, as I believe there was a non-zero chance Oilers brass blamed Taylor Hall (and his injury-riddled season) for the team’s failure. Small sample sizes makes asses of all of us, in hockey or in life. I hope Chiarelli knows what he is doing in regard to the Nuge.

I’LL HAVE A SHOT, AND THEN ANOTHER

• Shots for-per-60 2014-15 (all situations): 26.2 (No. 26 overall)
  • Shots for per game 2015-16 (all situations): 28.5 (No. 23 overall)
  • Shots against per game 2014-15 (all situations): 27.7 (No. 20 overall)
  • Shots against per game 2015-16 (all situations): 31.0 (No. 28 overall)

Last year’s shot differential was -1.7, this year (so far) it is -2.5 and some of that is probably injury. Fair? I have zero idea how to quantify it, so will leave it here. McLellan’s teams in San Jose seemed to have a lot of success in getting shots to the net, perhaps we will see a spike in hear two. While I am here, thought it might be an idea to look at 5×5:

• Shots for-per-60 2014-15 (5×5): 27.2 (No. 26 overall)
  • Shots for per game 2015-16 (5×5): 28.4 (No. 18 overall)
  • Shots against per game 2014-15 (5×5): 29.6 (No. 21 overall)
  • Shots against per game 2015-16 (5×5): 30.2 (No. 25 overall)

At 5×5, the Oilers finished at -2.4/60 5×5 in shot differential, and this season that number is -1.8/60. Slight improvement, but I think we can all agree more was anticipated and should be delivered. How much of that is because of injury? The only way to measure these things is with the information available. I would suggest this team will be better next season even with better health, but it is also true the team itself will make improvements to help these numbers.

WHERE TO PLAY THE NUGE?

I have a few ideas about it, looking forward to seeing how Todd McLellan handles him this evening (if he plays). There are several options, including the Hall—Nuge—Eberle throwback look and Hall—Nuge—Draisaitl, an effective trio earlier in the year. If McLellan runs his top two lines exactly as he did in the Minnesota game, the top 9F tonight might look like this:

• Hall—McDavid—Kassian
  • Maroon—Draisaitl—Eberle
  • Korpikoski—Nuge—Letestu

I strongly dislike that outcome, for two reasons. Edmonton doesn’t have enough wingers for three centers, and, incredibly, this configuration gets Yakupov to the fourth line! I suspect we will see a lot of shuffling tonight and through the end of the season. Perhaps Nuge and McDavid will even see each other on a line before G82.

321 Responses to "G71 2015-16: COYOTES AT OILERS"

Newer Comments »
  1. Mr DeBakey says:

Something seems amiss in that last paragraph.
    I’m guessing Centers.

2. Norman Greenbaum says:

“Connor McDavid is posting an outstanding season (33, 14-21-35) as a rookie, he should be even better in year two—and healthy. We are almost through the schedule and stats are wild with this guy. One item that is fascinating: one minute and 58 seconds at 5×5 with the Nuge.”

There’s a non-zero chance of this happening.

In fact, there’s a non-zero chance of ‘non-zero’ becoming a meme here.

3. Mr DeBakey says:

Ii’s hard, damn hard, to build a roster for next year that feature a Cap drop and Korpikoski.

4. Doug McLachlan says:

Strange to say but Nuge getting hurt may have done more than anything to have cemented his value to the Oilers. I am less worried he is dealt now than before he went down.

My sense is that the Oilers played better with Nuge in/McDavid out than the reverse. Not saying McDavid isn’t better- he is – but RNH has so much more experience playing against the toughs.

Go for Unicorns!

5. kinger_OIL says:

– It’s a lock win for the OIL: ‘yokes on back to back, they let in more goals than the Oil, OEL out…

– Et tu Bookje?

6. prefonmich says:

Id like to see the big German where Kassian is. Nuge in that second centre spot and kassian down with the Korpse and letestu. It is worrisome to me that we have a coach who doesnt use analytics at all seemingly… Playing an injured Hendricks at centre instead of Lander last game pissed me off again!

7. square_wheels says:

Is Yak’s career as an Oiler THAT over ? Playing the wing with 4th liners, sheesh.

Poor kid and his fluffy white dog are heading to a new city this summer, damn shame.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I was always a fan of “non-trivial” over “non-zero”

Regardless, it’s always a treat to see a word or phrase run LT-hot.

9. prefonmich says:

Doug McLachlan,

I totally agree with this. As soon as he wwnt down i was wondering if mgmt would begin to realize hus value more.. Also hiw letestu should not be played higher than 4c. Hope they see that also…

10. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Official 2016 Oilers Death March Update for 12.3.16:

Oilers currently on pace for a 71 point finish.

Three Death Marchers each predicting 71 points to finish 10 Seasons out of NHL Playoffs:

TOML
    HeatTreaterJoe
    Jake70

This game is a scheduled win as Arizona is playing their 3rd in 4 nights and second of back-to-back on the road.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson is also “doubtful” for tonight with an upper body injury.

Its looks like everything is coming up Millhouse!!!

Except…….

Its the late game on HNIC.

Doh!

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

12. flyfish1168 says:

Hi Lt your top 9 is this from a source or speculation? Surprise to Letestu being on the wing.

13. Water Fire says:

prefonmich:

McLellan’s quote about it indicated to me that Hendricks said he was good to go, and he wasn’t. McL wasn’t happy.

Bruce McMcCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 7m7 minutes ago
    Bruce McMcCurdy Retweeted Sunil Agnihotri
    Good news: Oilers-Coyotes is only the alternate game on HNiC so not a truly national broadcast. So that helps. o.O

WHEW!!!

*applies for line of credit to put on the OIlers*

flyfish1168:
    Hi Lt your top 9 is this from a source or speculation?Surprise to Letestu being on the wing.

16. jonrmcleod says:

Woodguy: Its looks like everything is coming up Millhouse!!!

I’ve got my flood pants set out for tonight’s game!

Lowetide: Speculation on my part, based on keeping the two lines from the Minnesota game together.

Why do you hate Yakupov?

18. flyfish1168 says:

I hate Letestu. Rather have Lander in and I feel he has more offensive upside. Especially on the PP. Nelson was able to on luck him . Question is why can’t mcT do the same.

19. Water Fire says:

I am pulling for Yak because he is a neat guy and I don’t like wasted first overall draft picks.

Right or wrong, he has to follow orders whether he likes them or not until his scoring gives him some leverage, like everyone else in the league.

Hall and Eberle produced right away and have gotten away with a lot, life isn’t fair.

Woodguy: Why do you hate Yakupov?

He feeds the homeless and opens door for little old ladies.

21. spoiler says:

Woodguy: Why do you hate Yakupov?

I agree, despite the facetiousness. I think the obvious set-up would be Lander sitting or on 4W, and Letestu 4C with Yak on the 3rd, if that’s where they’re putting Nuge. Is there anything from this season thus far, LT, that would lead us to speculate Letestu playing wing?

That said, there is a non-zero chance, lol…

22. prefonmich says:

Water Fire,

Sure but everyone who knows Hendricks knows he’s going to say he’s good to go unless a body part is falling off. Even a good to go Hendricks still doesn’t justify sitting Lander- your top faceoff guy. What has Lander done?????

23. prefonmich says:

flyfish1168,

Agreed. I think Lander must have peed in McL’s cornflakes?!

24. Woogie63 says:

At this point, here is what I bet PC does not trust and will focus on changing in the off season.

1. Kevin Lowe seems to have lots Katz business in the cities the Oilers are playing in.
    2. MacT, Howson, Scott and Green have been on a 8 month interview, all will not be back
    3. All $6M forwards, one will not be back
    4. Leadership core of 4, 14, 93, 23
    5. PowerPlay
    6. RHD
    7. Older players in Bakersfield

25. magisterrex says:

By eye, I thought Reinhart had a good game against the Wild.

But I did fall asleep for part of the game…

26. Bruce McCurdy says:

FWIW Stauffer has been “strongly hinting” (his words) at a Yak-Nuge-Letestu line, with the vet drawing faceoff duty which only makes sense given the nature of Nuge’s injury. Not sure which one would play wing (or which wing) once the play gets rolling, with the most viable options likely being 93-55-10 or 10-93-55. That said it’s hard to imagine Letestu being any less effective on LW than anywhere else, whereas Yak much prefers the right flank where as we all know he is a threat to score on every shift. o.O

Not exactly the sort of trio that gets rolled out from the Line Factory. But I’ll just be happy to see the Nuge back in circulation. The team has missed him & so have I.

27. flyfish1168 says:

prefonmich:
    flyfish1168,

Agreed. I think Lander must have peed in McL’s cornflakes?!

Todd doesn’t want to piss off PC is one of my guesses

28. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy: Why do you hate Yakupov?
    He feeds the homeless and opens door for little old ladies.

I believe cherry hates him more.

29. lynn says:

I followed the Condors’ game last night–lost 6-5 in OT. They are unlikely to make the playoffs: weak in goal and defense, at the moment.

The Condors had some good performances, though. Simpson, Khaira, Slepyshev, and Pitlick had good games.

The duo of Pitlick and Khaira was very good. Klinkhammer has fallen off recently; he hasn’t been as productive since the end of the trade deadline.

30. raventalon40 says:

Sorry, about to get a bit off topic here.

TLDR; The Wideman situation and politics and the ugly side of the NHL, NHLPA, and NHLOA

startrant/

Sometimes I think the NHL is the least transparent league out of all the major sports leagues. Performance enhancing drugs and painkiller abuae only surfacing the last couiple of years; the whole Dennis Wideman debacle is due to internal politics and the storm is brewing for the league with regards to the same concussions that are crippling the NFL.

I am not a fan of the politics being played in the Wideman situation. It makes me sick.

/endrant

31. Receptor Antagonist says:

I hate so bad that Pou is still out. Would LOVE to see a fully healthy fwd corps with Maroon and Kassian in the mix.

Pou Nuge Eberle
    Hall Drai Kassian
    Maroon McDavid Yak
    Hendricks Letestu Lander

On a side note, any word how Yak2 has looked since coming back?

32. kdunbar says:

I don’t think it makes much sense to buyout Korpikoski. His buyout cost is 1 million for the next two years (According to general tanager) . If we have him in the AHL the cost is 1.65 million. The difference between buying him out this year and burying him is not very large. And is a 1 million cost two years from now.

Buying him out also nets no asserts in return. Keeping him adds depth. If you buy him out you have to ask is the replacement worth the cost?

The oilers need the depth and we only have him for one more season. If no trade can be made in the offseason, then he could be a rental player at the trade deadline. A small return I know, but better than a 1 million cap hit in the 2017-2018 season from buying him out.

33. Snowman says:

I hope Tmac pulls out the blender fast. I haven’t gone two months without Nuge to watch him play with Mark Letestu.

I need to see Hall-Nuge-Drai again. I also need to see Drai-McDavid and Nuge-McDavid.

At no point in the last 11 months since the draft lottery have I thought “Gawd, we won the Mcdavid lottery I can’t wait to see Nuge with Letestu….”

It is a real damn shame Poo is out right now. Unicorns were one shoulder away from seizing the day. Alas… the Oilers.

34. Water Fire says:

prefonmich:
    Water Fire,

Who knows, but I would guess he’s not being aggressive enough. He’s a cerebral player who has some jam and isn’t fast. I see him as having better offensive instincts than Letestu and think he’s a better player, now.

To get more love I think he’s going to have to create more of a ruckus. He goes to the net but he needs to do it like he’s a bigger player, and he needs to pressure the opponent more as opposed to relying on good positioning.

I agree with this way of playing because taking away time is what messes players up. If you give time and much space a lot of players can do damage. As we know.

35. Ice Sage says:

Perfect storm for a big W for the Oil tonight.
    Should be a feeding frenzy for 97.
    Any news on goalie start? I’d like to see LB.

36. prefonmich says:

kdunbar,

I think the problem with Korpikoski is a bigger underlying issue with McLellan’s usage of said player. As LT alluded to he doesn’t seem to utilize analytics and so players like Letestu and Korpse who seem to be black holes to anyone they play with keep getting played while guys like Lander and Yak who are appear less ‘trustworthy’ are passed over. I would like Korpikoski traded or bought out to save McLellan from himself more than anything…

37. frjohnk says:

“•Lauri Korpikoski is 59, 9-9-18 but the numbers above tell us he is not helping. Somewhere between waiving Fayne and putting the Finn on a line with McDavid, I became convinced Todd McLellan is not following the analytics in some areas. Or he is not reading them correctly, but that seems unlikely. Suspect he values Korpikoski for his speed, veteran presence and secondary scoring. It isn’t enough, so Peter Chiarelli must trade or buy out the Finn. Seriously.”

-Korpikoski’s on ice shot metrics of 43% are bottom 15 in the league with more than 500 minutes 5 on 5 . But then again, Dustin Brown at 59% has the 3rd best in the whole league.

-A straight up trade for those two would not have Korpikoski as an LA King in the bottom 15 in the whole league and it would not have Dustin Brown as an Oiler in the top 3 in the league.

– So my question is with 11 other players ( including goalies) on the ice at the same time, how much of a players shot attempts % can actually be directly attributed to said player?

My belief is that Chia and many other GM’s would look at Korpikoski’s on ice shot attempts ( if they would even look at them) and see them as a negative, but in the whole scheme of things, would not give them much weight.

I’m not pumping Korpikoski’s tires but out of all the bottom 6 forwards
    Hendricks
    Yakupov
    Letestu
    Lander
    Pak

Korpikoski has the most goals with 9 and most points 18. He is 3rd in hits by forwards, plays somewhat of a “heavy” game, has speed and plays the PK.

I wouldn’t doubt the Oilers trade him but GM’s see value in a guy like Korpikoski. He wont get bought out.

38. Klima's_Bucket says:

Norman Greenbaum: EDIT: LT has used it in his blog today! Can you find it? Answers on a postcard for a chance to win Auston Mathews.

Do I win the prize??

39. commonfan14 says:

Water Fire: The old saying you make your own luck is a saying for a reason. Yak isn’t being persecuted, he is not doing what he is being asked to do and hasn’t for any of the coaches. I don’t think he’s as much difficult as eccentric.

Anyone else hear O’Sullivan tell the story about going to the brass to tell them he thought he needed counselling, then getting immediately shipped out of town?

lynn:

The Condors are going to be an interesting watch from here on. Recalls cannot happen (unless they are emergency, and then only for brief periods) so these men have to impress in the minors for next season. A guy like Khaira is going to get noticed.

41. prefonmich says:

Water Fire,

I agree with your assessment of Lander as a slower, more cerebral player, but he is not being given an opportunity to use these assets by McLellan. How can you do much on the 4th line, no PP time and rotating linemates? I think he has looked good as much as he is able when in the lineup with limited usage but I’m not sure what McLellan’s measuring stick is??

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 31s31 seconds ago

Oscar Klefbom is taking the pre-game skate today with the Oilers. First time he has practised with the team in months. Injured Dec. 11th

43. kdunbar says:

prefonmich,

i would rather get away from the contract as soon as possible rather than spread it out over two years.

44. kdunbar says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 31s31 seconds ago

This is good news.

45. Loyal2theoil says:

EDM lines: Hall-McDavid-Kassian, Maroon-Draisaitl-Eberle, Korpikoski-RNH-Yakupov, Cracknell-Letestu-Pakarinen.

46. Loyal2theoil says:

Btw, LT, Stauffer made an error. It was Clendening he saw. Still no Oscar

Ryan Rishaug Verified account
    ‏@TSNRyanRishaug

RNH centres Yakupov and Korpikoski.

48. prefonmich says:

kdunbar,

Best case would be a trade for a bucket of pucks and retain some salary. That way we get rid of the player, replace him with a guy like Khaira or Pitlick (I know I know). I think we need cheaper versions in our bottom 6 that can do many of the same things as a Korpikoski but for less… Detroit model!

Loyal2theoil:
    Btw, LT, Stauffer made an error. It was Clendening he saw. Still no Oscar

50. Ducey says:

Letestu (and Korpi) is outscoring the beloved Yak (who has 2 points in his last 21 and 6 in his last 37). At some point the proper question is to ask whether Yak is pulling down Letestus offense.

Yak might have a nicer looking Corgi but the damn thing don’t do anything of use. It cant be bothered to guard the house or doesnt return the love given to it. It just eats up cap room, bumps into walls and frequently takes a crap in places it shouldnt be.

You consider opening the back gate and just letting him wander away but you paid a lot for him and still love him despite his many problems. You talk to all your friends and they don’t like him either. No takers. Time to call up uncle Jim in Vancouver. He likes dogs.

51. jonrmcleod says:

Lowetide: Well, that is bad news. Clendening is righty too, are you sure it wasn’t a Woodguy tweet?

52. Westchester Oil says:

Hi John – long time listener, first time caller.

It would be sad to see Yak on the 4th line tonight. He needs a real center more than just about any other winger. If we’re going to move him in the offseason, we’ll being “selling low”, but if we keep playing him without a real center, we could end up giving him away for two bags of pucks (a la Miro Satan).

I’m also hoping that having Maroon (and possibly Kassian as well) means that we won’t make a silly 6 x 6 offer to an aging Milan Lucic.

53. Ryan says:

commonfan14: When another team gets Yak for peanuts and he starts thriving after they have him assessed and treated by a psychologist, I’m going to be royally pissed.

That seems to be a common theme here. Many people here are worried that Yakupov will get traded for peanuts and then kick out the jams on another team.

Fans around the league mostly see Yakupov as a draft bust.

Someone has to be wrong.

I think we’re very near to the point where Yakupov is what he is.

Different story, but it sort of reminds me of the Sam Gagner saga. Gagner was heavily overvalued by many here based on his offensive production, but is and was a player with significant defensive deficiencies.

Players that don’t produce elite offense who are very weak defensively are not coveted around the league.

For a stats blog, it’s a wonder how a player like Yakupov who doesn’t have a single stat to recommend him holds such high regard as having potential.

Westchester Oil:
    Hi John – long time listener, first time caller.

The shame is this: Yakupov could be a fantastic value contract next season.

jonrmcleod: If it weren’t for Woodguy and Bookie, Klefbom would be playing already. Those guys need to get their acts together.

Amen to that. Once Nurse signs his 10-year deal, we can all relax.

Ryan Rishaug Verified account
    ‏@TSNRyanRishaug

Korpikoski added to 2nd pp unit ahead of Yakupov.

57. NomoreLoweMcT says:

I hope Oilers keep Nuge- Draisaitl had a great year but needs another to prove he can be the 2nd line centre on a permanent basis , so I hope they keep Nuge and Draisaitl can play wing/centre in 16/17. Strength down the middle is essential. Trade Eberle or Hall, which ever gets the top 1/2 Dman the Oilers desperately need. Harmonic would be great I know Lowetide is down on Reinhard all the time, but give the kid a chance, he’ll be fine. I think Nurse would have been better served by spending the year in AHL and I hope he can regain his confidence. Next year less minutes for him. I don’t know why McLellan doesn’t run with Yak beside McDavid for the rest of the year to see what he can do or at least inflate his stats for a trade.

58. spoiler says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Ahh, so there are some smoke signals. Thank you, sir.

59. kinger_OIL says:

Ryan,

Ryan says: “I think we’re very near to the point where Yakupov is what he is”

Kinger says: yeah: he’s sh$t when playing with plugs, and pretty effective when not with plugs

60. spoiler says:

Ryan Rishaug Verified account
    ‏@TSNRyanRishaug

Korpikoski added to 2nd pp unit ahead of Yakupov.

Sounds like a message is being sent.

Lowetide: He feeds the homeless and opens door for little old ladies.

Sounds like a real bastard.

…and this on twitter:

Vaughn Woodruff ‏@conkanen 5m5 minutes ago
    @Bob_Stauffer @Woodguy55 shares your pain Bob. #Sticklexia

That’s poster Pouzar.

*shakes fist at both of you*

Surprised no one put up the lines and pairs yet:

Hall-McDavid-Kassian
    Maroon-Draisaitl-Eberle
    Korpikoski-RNH-Yak
    Cracknell-Letestu-Pak

Sekera-Fayne
    Pardy-Oesterle
    Reinhart-Clendening

As per Stauffer.

McLellan doesn’t hate Yak as much as LT unless it comes to the PP as per noted earlier.

Lowetide: Amen to that. Once Nurse signs his 10-year deal, we can all relax.

Well done.

65. kdunbar says:

prefonmich:
    kdunbar,

That is best case, but short of that I would bury the contract rather than buy out. I think we agree that a trade is best. The problem is what if no one else wants the contract especially if the cap goes down. I think we are stuck and should bury him rather than buy him out.

66. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: The shame is this: Yakupov could be a fantastic value contract next season.

Here’s the disconnect for me:

Yakupov: 48, 6-10-16, -12, 1 year left at $2.5 MM, fantastic value contract
    Korpikoski: 59, 9-9-18, -11, 1 year left at $2.5 MM, buy the bum out

Yes I know we have a lot more numbers than boxcars, and yes I know we all have eyeballs, but something in all this simply does not add up.

Maybe it’s that elite shot of Yak, the one that after a 21% shooting percentage in his rookie season has regressed to 9.0% to 7.3% to 5.8%. Is that all being blamed on his centres too?

I don’t hate Yak, I really don’t, but I’m beginning to seriously hate his numbers which have been brutal for 3 years running now.

67. Caramel Batman says:

Ryan Rishaug Verified account
    ‏@TSNRyanRishaug

Korpikoski added to 2nd pp unit ahead of Yakupov.

McClellan is proving he’s just another NHL coach wedded to the same old tired nonsense.

When is it safe to turn on him?

68. geowal says:

Ending, or at least suspending, my self-imposed hiatus tonight. This since making the drive up QEII to go to the game and finally see McDavid live, after three previous attempts, and I’m simply too excited to stay away. Saying goodbye to the old barn as well.
    Looking forward to some great rushes by McD, the NUGE, and how big and effective/smart Maroon looks in person as well.
    Never did read the book Suntori, haven’t found it, looks like needs an order of Amazon, will get to it.

Nikitin in, Pardy out. Don’t tell Geowal!!!

70. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Bruce McCurdy: Here’s the disconnect for me:

Yakupov: 48, 6-10-16, -12, 1 year left at $2.5 MM, fantastic value contract
    Korpikoski: 59, 9-9-18, -11, 1 year left at $2.5 MM, buy the bum out

Nice comment… that really does frame the issue. For me personally, I think I cheer like hell for Yak because in many ways he seems like an underdog (and people love cheering for underdogs), but as a recent 1st overall draft pick, he also seems like he has the potential to really succeed (and shove it in the faces of his many, many detractors).

At this point, regardless of how brutal his numbers become, I’m going to keep wildly (and irrationally) cheering for him in the hopes that he does achieve his potential.

If the young man is traded away, even if it is a smart move, I’m going to hold a helluva grudge against the Oilers management for perceived (and maybe at this point imagined) unfairness that they caused this young man. It’s not logical… it’s fandom.

71. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Nikitin in, Pardy out. Don’t tell Geowal!!!

More like Pylon in, Pardy over

72. StixMalone says:

Nikitin in, Pardy out. Don’t tell Geowal!!!

Can’t wait to put this to rest. Summer can’t come fast enough to cull the herd…..

73. prefonmich says:

Bruce McCurdy,
    Even though their numbers are similar, they are different players says Captain Obvious.

Yak has the potential to be a top 6 value and is just 22 years old- we still don’t know fully what he CAN be.
    Korpikoski is 28 and a bottom 6 player (or should be no more than that).
    Give Yak a consistent centre and top 6 minutes and see if it works- he has never gotten this for any length of time so we don’t know his true value.

74. prefonmich says:

HeatTreaterJoe,

B-I-N-G-O

75. stevezie says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I was just thinking the same thing. On all points.

The apologist line seems to be that while Yak is not a bus driver, he could be a fine complimentary player.

Which makes sense.

But good mercy, does he ever not score from the 3rd line. I know Eberle thrives with better players, but he is still somewhat productive without them. Most good players are always good. Teammates combine with them, they don’t transform them into a different thing. It’s possible that Yak is an exception to this pretty straight forward principle, but if so I don’t see TMac as the guy to unlock him. He seems to only coach Tmac hockey.

I hope Yak thrives wherever he goes. I really want it to be here, but I can’t see how.

76. geowal says:

Nikitin in, Pardy out. Don’t tell Geowal!!!

Nuts! At least he (and no Nikitin was t in my top 3, though it would t have occurred to me

77. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Amen to that. Once Nurse signs his 10-year deal, we can all relax.

So long as it is a 2-way deal so he can still clear waivers.

AMIRIGHT?

78. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy: Here’s the disconnect for me:

Yakupov: 48, 6-10-16, -12, 1 year left at $2.5 MM, fantastic value contract
    Korpikoski: 59, 9-9-18, -11, 1 year left at $2.5 MM, buy the bum out

It was mentioned yesterday on the radio (can’t recall who said it) that he needs a simple game and a meat-and-potatoes type center to work with.

More likely to find that on the 3rd than 2nd line.

79. spoiler says:

RexLibris: I’ve come to the point where I think we need to change our perspective on Yakupov and look at whether he can be an effective 3rd line winger who can move up to 2nd line when required.

More likely to find that on the 3rd than 2nd line.

Like Derek Roy? 😉

80. LadiesloveSmid says:

Bruce McCurdy,

agreed. Yak had 10P in 12 games with McDavid and has gone 6P in 36GP since. Terrible.

either you play Yak with McDavid or you dump him

81. LadiesloveSmid says:

spoiler,

they should have brought back Roy

Lander just looked too damn promising last year

82. RexLibris says:

spoiler: Like Derek Roy?

Roy seemed to help Yakupov because he was essentially coaching him on the ice. Telling him where to go and what to do.

I’ve argued in the past that I believe Yakupov was mishandled by coaches leading up to his professional career and made due on pure skill.

That he did better when he had someone ad hoc choreographing his moves shift-by-shift never surprised me.

His three peak moments have come when Krueger more or less deployed him as his junior coaches had, when he was briefly paired with Derek Roy who talked him through the shifts, and with Connor McDavid who has shown he is able to create scoring chances with virtually any teammate.

83. Snowman says:

Bruce McCurdy: Here’s the disconnect for me:

Yakupov: 48, 6-10-16, -12, 1 year left at $2.5 MM, fantastic value contract
    Korpikoski: 59, 9-9-18, -11, 1 year left at $2.5 MM, buy the bum out

This is where I’m at now too. The more I look into Yakupov the more nothing rhymes and the more I think his rookie season is blinding everyone. He scores at a good rate with McDavid but I’m not entirely convinced that Luke Gazdic wouldn’t score at a decent clip with 97.

There is definitely a malfunction at the junction somewhere. He’s only produced well with good centers…

Except RNH. They don’t match up well together… you know a playmaking two way center with great vision and passing who needs a trigger man… they just didn’t match up.

He was snake bit with Drai…but they sure looked good together and if they had any luck would have put up points… except they couldn’t piss a drop. Unlucky probably.

He scored with Roy though. Roy is good….ish… for a waiver wire pickup.

And his rookie season! Look at his rookie season!

Odd, odd player. Not sure where to go with him from here. Not sure at all. 4 points since Christmas.. outscored by Korpi and Letestu in that period.. Things just don’t rhyme.

84. Water Fire says:

prefonmich:
    Water Fire,

Maybe, I’m saying that it works the other way. Players aren’t ‘given’ opportunities, they have to earn them in the regime that currently rules. Players that last learn to do this. Lots of guys get moved from teams and find their spot somewhere else.

There can’t be success unless everybody is on the same page and this coach and GM have enough experience and clout that players are going to go who don’t fit and they’ll find those that do. Lander Yak and other young guys will be fine as they have game. Not so sure about the old guys.

85. jonrmcleod says:

Yak City downgraded to Yak Hamlet?

86. Clay says:

Nikitin in, Pardy out. Don’t tell Geowal!!!

jonrmcleod:
    Yak City downgraded to Yak Hamlet?

He’s Russian, not Danish.

Clay: Is Pardy hurt, or is this one of those hockey decisions that arise because winning is costin’ Austin?

As per Reid Wilkin’s twitter:

Reid Wilkins ‏@ReidWilkins 2h2 hours ago
    Pardy is out. McLellan says week to week. Nikitin will play.

89. Adam Wu says:

You can’t play Yakupov with an elite C because elite C’s draw elite comp and Yak can’t handle elite comp. He had success with McDavid because when they were together RNH was still drawing elite comp. He had success with Roy because Roy was offensively gifted but did not draw top comp.

90. hunter1909 says:

jonrmcleod:
    Yak City downgraded to Yak Hamlet?

Yak Gulag.

Yak’s Gulag.

Yakzgulag.

Yak’s Nightmare.

91. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: He’s Russian, not Danish.

Ouch.

Even I had to shake my head at that one.

I mean, nicely done, grabbing the steering wheel and turning it way off course!

92. Tarkus says:

hunter1909,

Gulag Yakipelago.

93. kinger_OIL says:

stevezie,

Steve says: “Eberle thrives with better players, but he is still somewhat productive without them”

– Kinger says: really? Eberle barely plays with plugs, ever. He has 0 points with Letetsu. His WOWY with plugs is as bad or worse than Yaks last time I went through them.

Kinger says: “Yak thrives with better players, and is still somewhat productive without them”.

– Yak’s numbers are not very good. He will get traded as a result. He should be traded. 10 goal players are not difference makers.

– On three spurts Yak good: as a rook with Horcoff (sick together), with Roy and with McD. The team that gets him wisely pairs him with a good C: expect him to do well.

94. Klima's_Bucket says:

RexLibris: So long as it is a 2-way deal so he can still clear waivers.

But at least with his NMC he can be placed on waivers like Ference.

AM I RIGHT?

95. stevezie says:

The important thing is Yak is getting a centre tonight. Can’t wait.

I know, the haven’t ever clicked, but he’s still a monumental leap up from Letestu.

96. Ducey says:

Woodguy: He’s Russian, not Danish.

Mmmmmmm, Danish.

RexLibris: Ouch.

Even I had to shake my head at that one.

I mean, nicely done, grabbing the steering wheel and turning it way off course!

I’m here to help.

98. Adam Wu says:

stevezie:
    The important thing is Yak is getting a centre tonight. Can’t wait.

99. highgloveside says:

Pardy ($1)will be cheaper than Gryba($1.8) as he knows he is fighting to stay in the NHL. Pardy plays both sides and prefers the RD. I would keep Pardy over Gryba, cheaper, more experience and just as big and strong. Personally, I would sign both Pardy and Gryba to 1 year deals and start Nurse on the AHL for at least half a season. If he pushes for a spot, he can be a 3rd pairing guy and Gryba and Pardy can take turns. The following year, you keep the better of Pardy and Gryba and do the same with Rienhart. Having a big, experienced #7D is very beneficial will trying to bring up guys like Nurse and Reinhart who need more development.

100. Halfwise says:

highgloveside:
    Pardy ($1)will be cheaper than Gryba($1.8) as he knows he is fighting to stay in the NHL.Pardy plays both sides and prefers the RD.I would keep Pardy over Gryba, cheaper, more experience and just as big and strong.Personally, I would sign both Pardy and Gryba to 1 year deals and start Nurse on the AHL for at least half a season.If he pushes for a spot, he can be a 3rd pairing guy and Gryba and Pardy can take turns.The following year, you keep the better of Pardy and Gryba and do the same with Rienhart.Having a big, experienced #7D is very beneficial will trying to bring up guys like Nurse and Reinhart who need more development.

Chiarelli did say he’d be test-driving some D, in the interview over deadline weekend.

101. Ducey says:

stevezie:
    The important thing is Yak is getting a centre tonight. Can’t wait.

Yak had been given chances lately with CMD and has done nothing with them.

Who his C isnt shouldnt matter on the PP. He has 82 min on the PP this year. It resulted in 3 points (1 goal) and 9 shots. 9 bleeping shots.

I don’t know what it is going to take for some around here to see him for what he is. A bust.

102. DBO says:

What has Letestu done better then Lander. Lander started slowly, but holy hell Letestu gets better line mates, pp time, and unending love from the coach. I realize that the coach has to be comfortable with a player, but everything Mclellan has said Lander does well is what a 4th line centre should be. He is younger, cheaper, has as much offence, plays gritty and is as good if not better on face offs, the PK and in his own zone.

With the cap issues, bigger contracts and adding a pricy dman, we need a value 4th line.

Which is better
    Hendricks-Letestu-korpi
    Hendricks-Lander-Khaira

One is 2 million cheaper, younger and are bigger possession drivers. Someone free Dellow!!!

103. spoiler says:

Ducey: It interesting that all of Yaks so called success has come in limited sample sizes.

Yak had been given chances lately with CMD and has done nothing with them.

I don’t what what it is going to take for some around here to see him for what he is. A bust.

I get your point, but shots also depend upon supply, so it’s not as simple as you’re putting it. That said, I think it’s fair to expect more. There are considerations on the player too… finding time and space, hitting the net…

104. Ice Sage says:

Woodguy: He’s Russian, not Danish.

To flee or not to flee
    Yak is the question

105. leadfarmer says:

So we are countering Arizonas panzer maneuver of not dressing OEL with dressing Nikitin. Nice. No one knows tank battles like we do.

106. DBO says:

I would love to see this lineup next year, assuming we make no forward changes.

Hall-Nuge-Khaira
    Pou-McDavid-Yakupov
    Maroon -Draisatl-Eberle
    Hendricks-Lander-Kassian

Unicorns, balance, size, scoring. Khaira could be upgraded, but he can skate with those two, and he could be a fit cause the Hall-Nuge duo will face the toughest match ups and his Size and skating and defensive zone awareness (plus to help in face offs) will be needed.

107. bendelson says:

One the my favourite things about this site is the ability of LT (and friends) to circle an issue, ask a few questions, drill down a little, and come up with some answers… and so, in that spirit, let’s go “Down in the Tube Station at Midnight” and look back at some of what LT said in his 15-16 RE post about our friend Korpikoski…

RE 15-16: 67 GP, 8-8-16 .239

“Two-way wingers have value even if they don’t score 15 goals”. Hmmmmmm…
    “Arc of a diver, last two seasons”. Ouch. True. Three seasons now.
    “Gagner’s bubble is blue, Korpikoski’s brindle. Bad sign”. Yes, very bad.
    “(If)… Gordon is near the end”. He was/is…
    “The extra year makes this a bad deal”. Also, likely true.
    “I do think he could end up being an expensive fourth-line winger”. Indeed, LT.
    Maybe “Korpikoski helps mentor one or more of the kids?”. OK… I’ll buy that for a dollar. Pakarinen?
    “He’s a big play generator, as far as second or third liners go”. Umm… what?
    “If Chiarelli and McLellan sat down, and decided speed was an issue, then this trade makes sense”. To a degree, yes.
    “Reasonable is a tough estimate for this player, because I’m not sure how much of his past two seasons is about him and how much is about the team he played for and their addled seasons”. Remains unknown to a certain extent – another addled season for his team.

And just for fun, let’s look at some of what the peanut gallery added…

John Chambers: “I bet they buy Korpse out after the season”.

G Money: “Unless they figure that Gordon’s back is toast and he’s already started the downslope, the Korpi trade remains a headscratcher for the most part”.

Ducey: “Last year he lead ARI in points/60 on the PP. He played second most PK minutes. 5 x 5 he had the 4th most defensive zone starts among forwards. Based on OPP CF% he played the tough competition. In short, he was relied upon, by a good coach, in all situations. This isn’t that complicated. You switch out a one dimensional, more expensive player in Gordon, for a guy who can help you in many ways. Given that the new coach isn’t going to bury the 4th line in defensive zone starts, it makes a lot of sense”.

Pretendergast: “Completely open to be wrong, but this deal looks abysmal”.

Dustrock: “Kannibal Korps will be the ‘Brent Burns banger’ on whichever line he plays on”.

Woogie: “This move and the Marincin move remind me of Tambo”.

Fifthcartel: “I also think Korpikoski will only play one season with the Oilers”.

Stevezie: “Even if we overvalued Gordon’s trade value (which we did) we would have been better off moving him for a seventh and signing someone else to an equal or better deal than the one Korpse is on”.

And finally, that damn Korpikoski apologist and all around jackass, Bendelson: “He is about giving the coach options. McClellan will move him all over the lineup as needed and this will provide value”.

In the end, I think for the most part, we knew what we were getting in Korpikoski… and for better or worse, he has largely delivered. And yes, the final year of the contract could be a problem.

108. leadfarmer says:

So is Davidson not out for the season? Doesn’t make sense to not shut him down if he tore his ACL or something.

109. spoiler says:

DBO: and his Size and skating and defensive zone awareness (plus to help in face offs) will be needed.

Couldn’t you say the same about Maroon? Seems strange to demote a 28 goal per yr guy down to the 3rd line.

110. jonrmcleod says:

What I like most about Pardy are his Andy Sutton-esque dangles in the offensive zone. I don’t think Pardy or Sutton have ever scored as a result of these dangles, but they look nice doing them.

111. sliderule says:

LT why do you hate Korpikoski.

Is it because of his Corsi?

A Corsi that is at 2 percent difference statistically insignificant compared to players he plays with.

A player that like the players he mostly lines up with gets a high percentage of own zone starts that lower the Corsi for the whole group..

A player that has out scored his bottom six companions

A player that helps anchor a PK that is tied for 14 th on a 29 th place team.

A player that the coaches trust by conversation and deployment.

112. LadiesloveSmid says:

sliderule,

I don’t like Korpikoski because he can’t complete 5 foot passes and isn’t good positionally. Coaches trust him and coaches trusted Justin Schultz. His production is fine

113. hunter1909 says:

jonrmcleod:

George Laraque cycling the puck offensively fooled me every time.

Adam Wu: The most interesting thing here is that line won’t be drawing top comp. This will be the first time since his rookie year that RNH will be on a line that won’t likely put him against top comp.

I’m pretty freaking excited about that.

Wish he had a real LW.

Ice Sage: To flee or not to flee
    Yak is the question

*strong clapping*

116. stevezie says:

bendelson,

Nice research. Hard to disagree with your conclusions

117. Centre of attention says:

“Brad
    ‏ @ItsTheBGB
    It’s incredible how good Joe Thornton made Jay Woodcroft look. #Oilers”

Ouch. The man has a point though.

You can’t help but admit the Sharks above average shot production / power play effectiveness was the result of some great players he had on the roster, and less to do with Todd/Jay’s rather simple system.

A system that’s so simple in fact, that it is completely ineffective in the playoffs. “place and chase” is too easy to pick apart when teams analyze the video and know where your intending to place it.

Todd has critisized himself and the coaching staff many times this season. And for good reason. Mistakes have been made.

There, I said it. And for the record, I liked the hiring at the time. With more time I’ve grown to question certain decisions though.

I hope Todd as well as his staff can adjust and evolve. Doesn’t seem like thats the case though, as it seems they would rather tailor the roster to that simple system than tweak the system itself. Whether or not thats the right idea remains to be seen.

/EndRant

118. DBO says:

spoiler,

Was more going with balance and that I hope that line of Drai maroon and Eberle gets chemistry today. Also don’t think of them as lines 1,2,3. More 1a, 1b, 1c. Any can be the top line on a given night, that’s what makes it so awesome if we do run the Unicorn !

119. raventalon40 says:

I prefer this lineup:

Hall-RNH-Kassian
    Maroon-McDavid-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Draisaitl-Eberle
    Korpikoski-Letestu-Pakarinen

Skill and size on the top3 lines

120. Clay says:

Woodguy: As per Reid Wilkin’s twitter:

Reid Wilkins ‏@ReidWilkins2h2 hours ago
    Pardy is out. McLellan says week to week. Nikitin will play.

Thanks. Big surprise, more injuries.

121. Caramel Batman says:

sliderule:
    LT why do you hate Korpikoski.

Is it because of his Corsi?

A Corsi that is at 2 percent difference statistically insignificant compared to players he playswith.

A player thathas out scored his bottom six companions

A player that helps anchor a PK that is tied for 14 th on a 29 th place team.

A player that the coaches trust by conversation and deployment.

I hate to get the facts in the way but it isn’t just Corsi.

GF%: 33 (4th worst amongst forwards)
    relGF%: -14 (4th worst amongst forwards)
    SC%: 44 (2nd worst)
    relSC% -7 (3rd worst)
    HDSC%: 39%
    rel HDSC%: -11 (both second worst)
    Fenwick: 43% (worst)
    relFenwick: -8 (tied for worst)

The Oilers are getting absolutely crushed while Korpikoski is on the ice. Whatever “little things” he is doing, it isn’t working.

And you can’t blame this on playing 3rd or 4th line, or zone starts, or whatever. If you look at other teams, not all of them have their 3rd and 4th lines getting their heads kicked in.

The Oilers are losing because the bottom half of their roster isn’t good enough to play in the NHL. The solution to that problem is not to play those guys more. It is to get rid of them.

122. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy,

him and Yak have never clicked, too.

RNH is going to have to be a stellar puck carrier tonight

123. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I’m pretty freaking excited about that.

Wish he had a real LW.

124. frjohnk says:

Ran through some numbers for Yak and his centers since 2013.

These are the centers on the ice when Yak got a point, minutes and points/60 ( 5 on 5)

Center__Min__P/60
    Gagner__596__2.11
    Roy_____534__1.69
    Nuge____384__0.78
    Letestu__211__0.28
    Draisaitl_200___0.30
    McDavid_198__2.42
    Lander__172___0.70
    Horcoff__118__4.58

Even though he has not played with the Oilers for 2 years, Gagner is still Yak’s number 1 center in terms of ice time and Yak had a pretty good points/60 number with him. And they also had good chemistry on the PP with Gagner being a right handed shooter who could distribute the puck well for Yak to use him one timer. I am a firm believer Yak needs a right handed player on the PP to distribute the puck to him. Sorry Letestu fans, Gagner has been the best right handed center Yak has played with AINEC.

Yak had good chemistry with Roy. They did look good in the Ozone together but there was also some running around in the Dzone as well. They had a CF% together of 46%.

Yak has not had much success with Nuge, Letestu, Lander and Draisaitl.

Yak with McDavid put up some really good numbers. But at 198 mins together, it is not a big sample.

Yak’ 4.58 P/60 with Horcoff is not a mistake. Yak was hot with Horcoff. HOT! Yak with Horcoff had a shooting percentage 47%!!!. Yaks shooting percentage with Horcoff was better than their CF% together which was 39%!!!! Crazy!!!

Nuge and Draisaitl are the two offensive centers where Yak did not produce much with but if we look at the minutes Yak has played with offensive centers Gagner, Roy and McDavid, ( he has played with those 3 centers 45% of his 5 on 5 time since 2013) we see that Yak has a P/60 of 1.98.

Yak is not a river pusher, he will not cover the bet of being a number 1 pick, but if plays with an offensive center, we should not be surprised to see him put up points at a top 6 forward rate.

And I would also stress that if a PP went through a right handed shot like Giroux on the left half wall with Yak as a shooter on the right side, Yak would find even more success. Well, as long as he hit the net 🙂

LadiesloveSmid:
    Woodguy,

him and Yak have never clicked, too.

RNH is going to have to be a stellar puck carrier tonight

They may find some open ice tonight.

126. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I think a lot of that (poor previous history) has to do with Nooouge regularly playing vs. The Best and Yak being over his head against that comp.

They may find some open ice tonight.

Like I said, Yakupov needs a good 3rd line center.

#JustHrudeyThings

127. mustang says:

What good is a sniper who can’t snipe?

frjohnk:
    Ran through some numbers for Yak and his centers since 2013.

Center__Min__P/60
    Gagner__596__2.11
    Roy_____534__1.69
    Nuge____384__0.78
    Letestu__211__0.28
    Draisaitl_200___0.30
    McDavid_198__2.42
    Lander__172___0.70
    Horcoff__118__4.58

Even though he has not played with the Oilers for 2 years, Gagner is still Yak’s number 1 center in terms of ice time and Yak had a pretty good points/60 number with him.And they also had good chemistry on the PP with Gagner being a right handed shooter who could distribute the puck well for Yak to use him one timer.I am a firm believer Yak needs a right handed player on the PP to distribute the puck to him.Sorry Letestu fans, Gagner has been the best right handed center Yak has played with AINEC.

Yak had good chemistry with Roy.They did look good in the Ozone together but there was also somerunning around in the Dzone as well.They had a CF% together of 46%.

Yak has not had much success with Nuge, Letestu, Lander and Draisaitl.

Yak with McDavid put up some really good numbers.But at 198 mins together, it is not a big sample.

Yak’ 4.58 P/60 with Horcoff is not a mistake.Yak was hot with Horcoff. HOT!Yak with Horcoff had a shooting percentage 47%!!!.Yaks shooting percentage with Horcoff was better than their CF% together which was 39%!!!! Crazy!!!

And I would also stress that if a PP went through a right handed shot like Giroux on the left half wall with Yak as a shooter on the right side, Yak would find even more success.Well, as long as he hit the net

Bang on.

The thing with Yak is the thing with Omark though.

Own zone deficiencies make them a soft minutes player and there isn’t a giant market for those.

Oilers should hang onto him for another year, but I think he’s gone in the summer.

RexLibris: Like I said, Yakupov needs a good 3rd line center.

#JustHrudeyThings

Whoa.

130. sliderule says:

So your saying its corsi

131. LadiesloveSmid says:

They may find some open ice tonight.

I wouldn’t have the lines set as they are tonight.

Pre game interviews Nuge and McL bring up RNH’s ability to take face-offs after the injury, think I might go RNH-Lander-Yak instead.

Todd Mac also talks about how Korpikoski doesn’t have good “percentages” but has scored 9 goals and brings it on the ice. Damn. Think I’d rather Khaira in his spot next year

132. LadiesloveSmid says:

sliderule,

it’s getting his head kicked in terms of scoring chances when he’s on the ice and that nearly everyone has better results without him

(Davidson is 53% CF away from Korpi!!)

he doesn’t do well by the eye test either

Mark Scheig ‏@THWMark 23s24 seconds ago

Former #CBJ GM and current Oilers SVP of Hockey Ops Scott Howson spending this lovely Saturday in Erie on a scouting trip.

That is probably DeBrincat and Raddysh.

134. Lloyd B. says:

Mark Scheig ‏@THWMark 23s24 seconds ago

That is probably DeBrincat and Raddysh.

you also mentioned an undrafted guy on the Otters a few articles ago. Betz I think it was.

135. Younger Oil says:

Disappointed that Lander is the odd man out, thought he had been playing better than the majority of the bottom six.

136. flyfish1168 says:

Younger Oil:

As I said this morning I would love to see Lander in place of Letestu for a few games.

137. Johnny skid says:

LadiesloveSmid: I wouldn’t have the lines set as they are tonight.

khaira is a easy choice but the coach plays the players that chiarelli signed not the old management players.

138. sliderule says:

LadiesloveSmid,

You obviously have a different eye test than oiler coaches.

Adam Oates commented when you have face offs in own zone you can have three or four Corsi events in a negative way.

Puck base shows that about 25 to 30 percent within 10 seconds you have a shot against after an own zone face off

Players who end up with a lot of face offs in own zone are going to have bad Corsi and probably bad plus minus as the variables are similar.

The other things I mention like PK are dismissed without comment.

The Hawks PK has been bad and hasn’t got better with adding a bunch of former scorers to their bottom six.

Korpikoski has done his part with the rest of bottom six with the PK

Korpikoski is by Corsi measure the worst of the bottom six but when you consider how Corsi is very much like plus minus I don’t think he deserves the abuse.

The abuse to me is kind of similar to what Petry ,Gilbert and Poti got but from a totally different point of view.

I don’t think either point of view is right.

139. CapeBretonOilers says:

Hey everyone — hoping you guys will support my adopted hometown of Okotoks for Hockeyville ….
    home of the Okotoks Oilers 🙂 appreciate the support … now back to lurking …

140. Professor Q says:

CapeBretonOilers:
    Hey everyone — hoping you guys will support my adopted hometown of Okotoks forHockeyville ….
    home of the Okotoks Oilers appreciate the support… now back to lurking …

Legend of Zelda?!

141. RexLibris says:

Murray Pam
    ‏@Pammerhockey

One scout viewing #Sens/#Leafs, ONE. #Coyotes

Travis Yost
    ‏@travisyost

Travis Yost Retweeted Murray Pam

He’s being held at gunpoint.

142. LadiesloveSmid says:

sliderule,

Petry and Gilbert were beloved by those that follow any possession metrics.

Korpikoski has more generous zonestarts than Letestu, Hendricks, Lander and Khaira with lesser results.

Corsi is like +- in that teammates and team can affect it, I guess. Korpikoski is the one dragging the numbers of his common teammates down.

Oiler coaches also played Schultz and Nurse over 20 minutes/game. That isn’t really the gold standard is it?

143. Gordies Elbow says:

Mark Scheig ‏@THWMark 23s24 seconds ago

That is probably DeBrincat and Raddysh.

Hopefully looking at Jordan Sambrook. 6’2″ 187lb RHD with a two way game, sort of came out of nowhere. Projectable frame, could work on footspeed.

Possible target as with one of the 3rd round picks.

144. sliderule says:

LadiesloveSmid,

You don’t get it .

The people that didn’t like them thought that because they were not aggressive they were crap.These were not the enhanced stats guys.

You should know that the difference between Korpikoski and the other bottom six statistically is insignificant .

The guys like Henderson and Batman (are they same) are the extreme other end of the spectrum than those who wanted to punt Gilbert etc ,but just as wrong.

The fact that the whole bottom six are penalized by zone starts and when

145. stevezie says:

sliderule,

Let’s just say that I buy your argument that Korpse is about the same as anyone else in the bottom six. Let;s just say. Doesn’t his salary still make him a bad investment that might require a buy-out?

146. whiskeytangoeberle says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Hi Bruce, the picture you used in today’s “Cult of Hockey” article looks like a dad teaching his young son to skate for the first time.

Keep up the good work.

Watching the Florida-Flyers game, Jagr would make a fabulous Oiler.

148. Klima's_Bucket says:

I think Yakupov would make a fabulous Panther.
    Jagr could teach him a thing or two about playing on his off wing.

149. Bank Shot says:

stevezie:
    sliderule,

Korpse is just a lightning rod to place the blame. He’s not the problem with the Oilers.

They will be just fine if he is on the team next year as long as they go out and fill the actual holes.

They need two top four defenders. One of them needs to be first pairing quality.

They need a Hopkins level center that is stronger at the defensive aspects of the game. 30% face off wins in the D-zone isn’t going to cut it. Maybe get a 45ish point guy that can play 3 minutes per night on the PK.

A top six winger that is great both ways is a need as well. A Loui Erikkson to play with McDavid.

Get all that done and we can start talking about Korpse being one of the bigger problems on the team.

150. Centre of attention says:

Watching the Florida-Flyers game, Jagr would make a fabulous Oiler.

Huberdeau and Barkov really are something aren’t they?

Some people raised their eye brows at those selections, its clear Talon saw something in both players though.

151. stevezie says:

Bank Shot: I don’t think you buy out a guy that has one season left and is about 1 million overpaid. Seems like a waste.

I agree buyouts must be used carefully, and it is often better to just eat the year. I remain on board with keeping Nikita.

Have to wait and see what the budget looks like the summer. Buyouts are an “if it comes to this” option, not a plan A.

Come to think of it, if you bury Korpse his caphit become 1.6, which isn’t that far off his buyout hit is.

152. Water Fire says:

Most of us love here love stats and what they add to our knowledge of the game. I often say to ‘outsiders’ what else do Oiler fans have to do than invent stats for the last major sport? Well, there is becoming draft/prospect experts.

I appreciate all of the work it takes to freely give us what G and Woodguy and all do. I can’t do it. But LT has hit the nail on the head with talking about peer review. I have raised before that statistics are so hard to context properly that professional stats people can’t get it right all the time (think pollsters), and so many of the people who use to lead the hockey discussion have gone dark.

Really until there is time, space and location monitoring this nut won’t be cracked. Unless a hoard of volunteers do it manually.

I came across this piece which confounds the pursuit even more.

Edit: That is not to say those with the ability and desire shouldn’t try. It is part of the growth of knowledge, fuel for those that love it, is widely appreciated and respected, and the ability I’m sure envied.

153. Klima's_Bucket says:

Centre of attention: Huberdeau and Barkov really are something aren’t they?

Barkov is on a whole other level than Huberdeau.
    And Huberdeau is great.

154. Centre of attention says:

Klima’s_Bucket: Barkov is on a whole other level than Huberdeau.
    And Huberdeau is great.

Huberdeau can sauce pucks similar to Draisaitl. Either side of the stick. Hes also got some pretty good vision for a youngster

155. Water Fire says:

Korpse can go to Carolina or another team looking to hit the cap floor. If a team isn’t looking at Corsi he’ll be looking good. Pete will be looking at value to salary closely now that he has his bearings, I hope, we pray.

Centre of attention: Huberdeau and Barkov really are something aren’t they?

This Panthers team is going to be insanely good.

157. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: This Panthers team is going to be insanely good.

It is, and why I hope the Oilers end up taking one of the top two D in the draft as that would be the main difference between them and us in the future, barring a genius trade.

158. jonrmcleod says:

That comment did not escape DSF’s attention. Sadly.

159. LadiesloveSmid says:

Shattenkirk seems to be having a down year percentage-wise. With his P/60:PDO down and Parayko emerging as a heck of a defenceman, he might be my hard target. These forwards need a D that drives some damn offence.

160. Centre of attention says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Klefbom had 7 shots in his last game played. He didn’t even finish the entire game, I believe he was injured in the second period. *edit* he played 11 minutes. 7 shots.

just sayin’

161. Water Fire says:

They had a locker room shot of Nuge and Connor, and man is Nuge looking muscular. I hope and I’m sure ‘Connor is on it’.

I’m noticing time and again that pursuit of physical development is more relevant than size. The physicality follows with stength, as does speed for some, and added confidence.

162. JDï™ says:

In Calgary, and they’re showing Nucks-Perds on CBC? WTF?

Also, not sure if there’s a worse anthem singer in the league. The thing at the end is just…

163. LadiesloveSmid says:

Centre of attention,

OK, more than 1 D.

164. böök¡je says:

Big game tonight! If the Oilers win every game from here to the end of the season and if the Colorado Avalanche and Minnesota Stars end up in a major team bus on team bus crash (nobody dead, but half the players on each team with cracked ribs or pubitis or something) then the Oilers are likely to find themselves in a playoff spot.

It all starts tonight!

Pretty Excited right now!

165. flyfish1168 says:

JDï™:
    In Calgary, and they’re showing Nucks-Perds on CBC? WTF?

Sportsnet 223

166. Henry says:

I’m not worried in the least about Leon’s speed.

167. jp says:

I’ve seen enough. 3 scoring lines is the way to go.

It’s looked magic so far against the Yotes at least.

Oilers 8-4 on the Corgis early

Rob Tychkowski Verified account ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 1m1 minute ago

Taylor Hall getting looked at by trainers after being hacked in front of the Oilers bench.
    0 retweets 1 like

170. LadiesloveSmid says:

nice start outside of that gaff by Sekera

Draisaitl has been making a case for being my favourite oiler all year. His speed and ability to break into the zone is incredible. So smart in both ends.

171. JDï™ says:

flyfish1168: Sportsnet 223

Cable cutter, but I know where to find the game. I just love those off-air HD feeds, and think it’s questionable for them to bring a Nucks game.

172. LadiesloveSmid says:

Taylor Hall “hacked at”? surely not. Guy’s only drawn 3 penalties all year

173. Johnny Larue says:

Great start to the game so far. The Nuge line looks sharp so far so good

174. Oil2Oilers says:

Where ever they trade Yak too, please let him have a talented center. He is a joy to watch with one, I will miss him dearly and never forgive this decade of despair Oil skid for ruining him.

175. flyfish1168 says:

Rob Tychkowski Verified account ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 1m1 minute ago

0 retweets 1 like

</blockquote

Another injured Oilers core player for this season

176. JDï™ says:

Because.

177. LadiesloveSmid says:

Oilers gonna oil

178. D says:

Sekera is having a poor game so far.

179. rich says:

Let’s see if Jack Michaels can find anyone else on the Yotes in a slump. He just commented that Reider and Hanzal were in slumps.

Karma.

180. böök¡je says:

I’m not watching, but how big of a penalty did Hall get for being hacked by the other team?

Condors get a couple early. Ford from Slepyshev and Pageau, followed by Hamilton from Pitlick and Simpson. Some of those guys are spiking.

182. Johnny Larue says:

McDavid and Hall don’t look good so far. Just seem out of sync

183. Frank the dog says:

Hall goes better with Drai
    Connor goes better with Yak
    Nuge goes better with Ebs.

184. khildahl says:

SWEARS AND CUSSING.

185. Johnny Larue says:

Screwed by the refs once again. It is getting so tiring every game same shit

186. JDï™ says:

khildahl:
    SWEARS AND CUSSING.

What – no PROFANITY?

187. khildahl says:

JDï™: What – no PROFANITY?

Saving it for later. I’m sure I’ll need it.

188. OilClog says:

The refs that want long careers in this league best get on Mcdavids good side.

These fucking refs, Chia needs to go full Burke on the league.

McDavid is not human, fastest in game skater I’ve ever seen.

189. Centre of attention says:

Drai just decked his check in the head during a board battle.

Atta’boy.

190. LadiesloveSmid says:

Clendening insults Doan’s mother on the way back to the bench nulling the PP

191. JDï™ says:

khildahl: Saving it for later.I’m sure I’ll need it.

I’ll save some expletives too.

192. LadiesloveSmid says:

Frank the dog:
    Hall goes better with Drai
    Connor goes better with Yak
    Nuge goes better with Ebs.

agreed. Fill Maroon, Kass, and whoever in the empty spots. Need Pou back

193. Centre of attention says:

I like this Eberle lately. He’s strong on the puck, going hard to the net. Draws a penalty. The points will come if he keeps it up.

194. cabbiesmacker says:

Frank the dog:

Ketchup goes better with Yak

195. flyfish1168 says:

Frank the dog:
    Hall goes better with Drai
    Connor goes better with Yak
    Nuge goes better with Ebs.

So which big body winger plays with each line

196. khildahl says:

JDï™: I’ll save some expletives too.

I’ve also got some salty invective on reserve. I keep it next to the good bourbon.

197. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention:
    Drai just decked his check in the head during a board battle.

Atta’boy.

Accidental elbow. Oops!

198. Centre of attention says:

JDï™: Accidental elbow. Oops!

“Accidental” 😛

The guy was trying to dig into his sore ribs with his stick, so Drai straight up decked him. Ref was watching it all.

Newer Comments »