OILERS SIGN JERE SALLINEN

The Edmonton Oilers have  signed Finnish winger Jere Sallinen.

CapFriendly has his profile up with the specific numbers.

WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT HIM?

• Sallinen is 25.
  • It is a one-year entry level deal.
  • There is a youtube of him hitting a player and taking a penalty.
  • He is 6.01, 196 according to team website.
  • His NHLE from 2015-16 is 82, 10-15-25.
  • He was drafted by the Minnesota Wild in 2009, No. 163 overall. That was 81 spots after the Oilers chose Cameron Abney.
  • HF: Opinions vary widely on Sallinen. Some scouts view him as a Bobby Holik-type power forward while others feel he is merely a big bodied, undisciplined player who put up big scoring numbers playing against smaller junior players but does not have the requisite skill level to be successful at the NHL level. On the plus side, his energy and enthusiasm, as well as a willingness to compete all over the ice, are popular with both teammates and fans alike. While not as awe inspiring as some of the other prospects in Finland, Sallinen is a strong skater and also handles the puck well in traffic. Unfortunately, he suffered a back injury this past season which limited his season to nine games. With his punishing style of play, that is something that has teams concerned. Source

My guess is that the Oilers saw him good, as a power-forward agitator (despite lack of size). His NHLE is somewhat promising—he could be another in that line of wingers Chiarelli is collecting that includes Patrick Maroon and Zack Kassian. None of these guys are going to score 30 goals, but they could jump onto a skill line for two weeks here or there and end up with 15 goals on a season. I would suggest that this player is probably at the low end of that list, but on it for sure. Edmonton’s love affair with Finnish hockey players has an addition.

38 Responses to "OILERS SIGN JERE SALLINEN"

1. LadiesloveSmid says:

were they checking on former oiler Joensuu and signed his lesser scoring counterpart?

2. admiralmark says:

Pakarinen II or 2.0?
    Hopefully 2.0

3. Johnny skid says:

it seem every time the team craps its pants on the ice chiarelli makes some random player transaction. makes for a neat distraction if anything.

4. Clay says:

Nice low risk bet. Please be a late-blooming Tikkanen 2.0.

5. flyfish1168 says:

So are we at 50 contracts and will not be signing any NCAA players?

6. Mr DeBakey says:

flyfish1168: So are we at 50 contracts and will not be signing any NCAA players?

That contract is for next year. The Oilers aren’t at 50 contracts then.

Not sure there is a lot to see here – a kid moving from Helsinki to Bakersfield.

7. Clay says:

I still think the Oilers took Caleb Jones partially to grease his brother’s wheels when they offersheet him this summer. Now they’re stocking up on Finns to ease Laine’s move to North America.

Next-level GM’ing going on.

As for what year this contract kicks in, suspect it is next year. Vagueness everywhere though.

9. Centre of attention says:

Clay:
    Nice low risk bet.Please be a late-blooming Tikkanen 2.0.

Those very words were probably used during the managements talk before signing Jere.

He looks promising, watching his style he is a little bit like Roussell to me.

10-15 goals and a lot of PIMS is probably his ceiling. Classic Chiarelli player.

He posted some eye-popping offense in Liiga and SM-Liiga which is Finlands Pro and Junior league respectively if I’m not mistaken.

Once he went to the KHL it seems as though the offense dried up a bit and that might have to do with securing minutes. Anyone know his power play minutes? Splits? I think not.

Intriguing player for sure. Perfect timing for the organization to do something to distract a clearly depressed fan base.

10. StixMalone says:

Let’s hope they actually looked at this player before they came to the decision to offer a contract….

11. fifthcartel says:

I love this time of the year. NCAA/CHL/KHL free agents time, then the draft lottery/the actualdraft/free agency is all so much fun.

The Oilers are still awful but it doesn’t change the fact that this is a lot of fun to follow.

*SPAM*

New post at Because Oilers:
    “In Search Of……Right Handed Dmen for the Oilers”

*END SPAM*

13. jfry says:

is there an NHLE for PIMs? his 79 this year, put him 18th in the KHL. Gotta figure that number jumped out for Chia.

Oilers are currently 14th in the NHL at 9.4 PIMs per game (anaheim is first with 12.7). we’re tied for 11th in majors at 24 (columbus leads with 40, anaheim second at 36). We’re 8th for misconducts with 5 (half of Philly’s 10). We’re tied with 8 teams for last in the league in Game Misconducts — LA leads this with 4.

all from here: http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/major-penalties/sort/avgPIM

I’m not suggesting any of these stats are “hockey important” but I’d be pretty comfortable betting that we finish higher in all of these categories next year. The “boston teams” that were really good under chi, 2010-2014 — they finished in the top 8 in PIMs per game, and quite often top 3. And were also top 3 in Majors, quite often. Maroon’s game last night is exactly what we should expect from most new acquisitions. Which i’m fine with. Hall plays bigger when Kassian has red in his eyes.

_____________

anyone know what his all round game is like? I feel like Tmac wants to do less teaching next year, and more “coaching”. his comment about keeping slepyshev on the roster to start the season — ostensibly, you could tell he’d played pro hockey and knew how to respond to a coach and a system. It seemed like a big deal. when you combine that with his freak out a few weeks ago about some players leaving, you gotta figure the all round game is going to be really important. Personally, I’m fine adding more players like this. Lets make Khaira really earn his call up (lander style), with pt/gm and dominant play in the AHL. I like this bet on the surface, mostly because of his age and pro experience.

_____________

also, first time i’d been to the KHL stats page in awhile. they have radar graphs for all players and stat categories. A really nice addition.

*omark has had a nice year (regular season and playoffs)

_____________

enjoy your sundays!

14. jfry says:

also, after spending some time on the KHL stats site, it’s a real shame that Radulov didn’t work out in the NHL. His consistency and numbers (from points, to PIMs, to +/-) are just so strong.

15. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy:
    *SPAM*

New post at Because Oilers:
    “In Search Of……Right Handed Dmen for the Oilers”

*END SPAM*

Always enjoy your post WG. I have been wanting to go after Murphy or Stone on the Yotes. Both are RFA status July 1st. Interesting where Seabrook sits

16. frjohnk says:

KINGEROIL:
    “His 1.98 points per 60 min with Gagner, McDavid and Roy”

– How does that compare with Ebs #’s with the same C’s for instance?

*I published this on the last post, wanted KingerOIL to see*

Left side is how many minutes EBERLE played with this player and EBERLE’s P/60 with said player on ice. Right side is how many minutes Yakupov played with this player and Yakupov’s P/60 with said player on ice. This is since 2012 and 5 on 5 strength.

Player___Min__P/60_Player__Min__P/60
    EBERLE_3947_1.96_Yak____2943_1.45

EBERLE with_______Yak with
    Centers
    RNH ___2516__2.16_RNH___384__0.78
    Gagner__347__2.07_Gagner_596__2.11
    McDavid_221__2.98_McDavid198__2.42
    Draisaitl_209__0.86_Draisaitl_200__0.3
    Lander__141__0.85_Lander__172__0.7
    Gordon__106__0.56_Gordon__71___0
    Roy_____30___0___Roy____534__1.69
    Letestu___37__0___Letestu__211__0.28
    Horcoff___13__4.16_Horcoff__118__4.58

When comparing centers, EBERLE produces better with most than Yak or pretty much even. When Yak was with Gagner, McDavid and Roy, they were not usually facing the toughs. When Yak was with RNH, they were. EBERLE has played more minutes facing the toughs. * Anything under 100 minutes I wouldn’t even compare but I just put the numbers out there to see.

Here are the top 4 D man for TOI for both players
    EBERLE with_______Yak with
    Player___Min__P/60_Player__Min__P/60
    Schultz__1458_2.47_Schultz__878__1.37
    Petry____936_1.67__Petry___707__1.70
    Ference__659_1.91_Ference_545__1.43
    Klefbom__621_2.32_Fayne___449__1.60

The crazy thing is that EBERLE and Yak have not played much together ( 405 minutes in 4 years) But both have as their top D men in TOI are in order Schultz, Petry and Ference. Wow! Our two best RWer’s and that is the best 3 Dmen that management could put on the ice. If I put the complete list of Dmen on here, everybody would cry!
    *While EBERLE produced well with Schutlz on the ice, I think its more of Schultz riding the coat tails of RNH, Hall and EBERLE than Schultz being a big driver of offense from the back end.

Here are the top 3 LWers for each player in TOI

EBERLE with_______Yak with
    Player___Min__P/60_Player__Min__P/60
    Hall____1535__2.11__Hall___211__3.13
    Pouliot___863__2.29_Pouliot_376___2.23
    Perron___273__1.32_Perron_285___2.32

Both do well when paired with an offensive center AND an offensive winger on the left side except for when Yak played with Nuge and when both played with Draisaitl. But most of Yak and EBERLE’s minutes with Draisaitl were from last year when Draisaitl was not ready for the NHL.

While EBERLE has had better linemates, he has also faced tougher competition and overall has produced better. But the one thing in common for these two players: the lack of playing time with quality Dmen. Petry is a good number 3 Dman. Schultz and Ference? Nope. And these 3 have played the most with EBERLE and Yak. Like I said before, if I put the complete list of Dmen that have played for the Oilers in the last half decade, you would cry or laugh or cry and laugh!

The questions Id liked answered is this.

How good would EBERLE be if he played on a balanced team which had 4 top 4 Dmen for a whole season? Or gasp, a top pairing Dman in the mix? EBERLE has never played with a top pairing D man as an Oiler.

Same questions apply with Yak.

When offensive players with some defensive holes in their game such as EBERLE and Yak play the majority of the time with 3rd pairing/AHL Dmen, their warts are magnified.

-On a balanced team, EBERLE would be an elite RWer scorer putting up numbers that could be put him in the top 5 in any given year.

-On a balanced team, Yak would be a very good scoring option on the 2nd line and could possibly be a 1st line winger. His 5 on 5 scoring when paired with McDavid, Gagner and Roy collectively is 1.98 points/60 since 2012. ( That’s 1st line scoring) He has had those guys as his center 45% of the time. Put 2 top 4 Dman on the back end to help cover Yak and watch his numbers climb.

In the end, I think both could be gone this summer but I think trading Yak would be a bigger mistake, not because I believe he is better than EBERLE, cause I don’t, I think it would be a mistake because while EBERLE would probably fetch a top 3 Dman, Yak’s return will leave some people gasping. And not in a good way.

17. judgedrude says:

Woodguy:
    *SPAM*

New post at Because Oilers:
    “In Search Of……Right Handed Dmen for the Oilers”

*END SPAM*

Double-post…Didn’t think anyone would see it now that there is a shiny new toy.

18. frjohnk says:

Woodguy:
    *SPAM*

New post at Because Oilers:
    “In Search Of……Right Handed Dmen for the Oilers”

*END SPAM*

Last year, you nailed it with Talbot.

This year…..

Great post.

EDIT: I should add getting Demers AND Hamonic would help the Oilers take a HUGE turn North and would only cost money and 1 bigger asset and I like that.

19. jfry says:

frjohnk,

great post padre!

20. frjohnk says:

jfry:
    frjohnk,

great post padre!

thanks. I took me a lot longer than I wanted, but it cleared up a bunch of stuff in regards to EBERLE and Yak for me.

flyfish1168: Always enjoy your post WG. I have been wanting to go after Murphy or Stone on the Yotes. Both are RFAstatus July 1st. Interesting where Seabrook sits

Thanks.

Seabrook has spent a lot of time playing 2nds with poor players and it really effects his numbers.

I’ll make a note.

frjohnk: Last year, you nailed it with Talbot.

This year…..

Great post.

Thanks Padre.

If you ever want to write your stuff out long form I’ll put it on my blog if you want.

Great stuff as usual.

23. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy,

Excellent work Woodguy.
    Thanks for sifting through all that information.

One question:
    At the end of your post, your #6 point says that :

“6) This would also leave more cap space to add even more talent up front.”

From what I understand, Stamkos is coming here this summer, but why can’t the Oilers use the cap space to add even more talent on the back end???

24. frjohnk says:

Woodguy: Thanks Padre.

If you ever want to write your stuff out long form I’ll put it onmy blog if you want.

Great stuff as usual.

I’m not starting a blog, don’t do twitter and this is the only place I have an account to comment.

Whatever I post on LT’s blog that you feel relevant and want to use in part or whole, you, LT and GMoney are free anytime to take my stuff and use as you wish.

*Oh and a heads up. If the Oilers land one or both of Hamonic and Demers and they don’t pan out, well….you know.

25. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy,

I’m a bit confused. Fayne is a 1.5, Schultz a 2, and Gryba a 3? So would Edmonton not be set?

How do Klefbom/Davidson/Sekera look by the same metrics?

also Nikita Nesterov is a left shot

26. SwedishPoster says:

Woodguy,

Nicely done. A bottom guy who shows well in these categories for someone only making 750K, seems to be considered a tweener and is a UFA is Zach Redmond. I haven’t paid any attention to him so I don’t know much about him or his style of play but might he be a better and cheaper option to players like Gryba and Fayne? Might be worth a closer look. It’s not like he’s been carried by a powerhouse team either. Could ofc be some factor skewing the numbers in his favour, like extremely low level of competition but he certainly does well.

27. Professor Q says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Lottery luck and the “Edmonton Oiler” rule

This is getting ridiculous.

28. Hockey Buddha says:

Professor Q,

Professor Q: This is getting ridiculous.

****. I hope we win again.

29. Professor Q says:

Hockey Buddha,

I absolutely do as well.

Especially to shove it in the faces of all those who would try to screw the Oilers in any way possible, and to have their cake and eat it too.

30. Dominoiler says:

frjohnk,

Great Eberle / Yak post, keep hope alive!..

31. Yeti says:

frjohnk: thanks.I took me a lot longer than I wanted, but it cleared up a bunch of stuff in regards to EBERLE and Yak for me.

32. AsiaOil says:

frjohnk,

Great post padre – but you need one more critical number in a cap league:

Eberle $6 million per year
    Yak $2.5 million per year

Yak is an offensive guy who needs to play with offensive players – no mystery there – and he’s being paid like a “non-river pusher”. Ebs is being paid like a “river-pusher” though and needs to be a guy who drags people along with him – not needing support himself. I understand that Yak has always been the like the youngest kid in a big family – pretty much an after-thought – and nobody is going out of their way to develop him. I get it – but it’s still stupid – and terrible asset management. If I’m a team like ANA or NJD who needs scoring wingers – I’m working real hard to squueze Yak out of EDM for peanuts. Could be a huge win for someone if they unlock him – and the key is no mystery – play him with a compatible skilled center and a defensively aware LW.

Thaks for crunching the numbers – good stuff.

33. BONVIE says:

admiralmark:
    Pakarinen II or 2.0?
    Hopefully 2.0

This is a terrible signing what is his upside Tyravanen, Petrell. Our farm team is full of big physical guys who are light on the scoring touch. So we bring in a guy that is 25 and scores even less than our guys already in the AHL. I mean could these guy even be able to dream about putting up the offense of a Klinkhammer?

34. Fortinbras says:

So based on your work, which is fantastic, we are willing to give up a first line player for the equivalent of Petry….

Woodguy:
    *SPAM*

New post at Because Oilers:
    “In Search Of……Right Handed Dmen for the Oilers”

*END SPAM*

35. frjohnk says:

Yeti: A quick question: why do you always spell EBERLE in capitals while no other player gets this honour? There’s probably a good reason for this, but it makes me think of you proclaiming ‘EBERLE’ at the top of your lungs from the tower tops and church spires across Edmonton and beyond.

My phone auto corrects to spelling his name with capitals.
    Also Iginla = Iguana
    Sekera =Seekers

So when I use the computer I just use capitals for his name for consistency. 🙂

AsiaOil,

Yup. Totally agree. Somebody could get him for a song and it could be a huge win for them if they can unlock him.

Thanks

SwedishPoster:
    Woodguy,

Yeah, I noticed him too.

UFA this summer. Made $750K.

Might be a good 7/8 Dman. 6’2″ 210lbs, not sure if he uses his size but at least he has it and Chiarelli likes size on bottom pairing.

37. raventalon40 says:

Probably just a low-risk, low-cost, waiver-exempt replacement for Korpikoski