EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE 2016 DRAFT BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK

You know, I have been following the draft since about 1971 (two players in that draft were part of a national story, wrapped around the Memorial Cup—and it stuck with me) and most years have the NA kids sussed out by now. Usually, I am waiting for the World U18 Championships in April to be played, and the sources I use (Pronman, Red Line, ISS, Luedeke, Kournianos, etc) to write about the spikes and the dives. This year? We have some real changes going on among the NA group. That is news. Here is my updated list, hold on to your hat for some big spikes from the Ides of March.

1. (1) C Auston Matthews, Zurich Lions (Swiss-A): He posted 36gp, 24-22-46 in the regular year and is 4, 0-3-3 in the playoffs. He is is 6.02, 194, looks like a plug and play.
  2. (2) W Patrik Laine, Tappara (Sm-Liiga): Laine  was 46gp, 17-16-33 in the SM-Liiga regular season and is 5, 2-2-4 in the playoffs. A 6.04, 207 power winger.
  3. (3) R Jesse Puljujarvi, Karpat (Sm-Liiga): Posted 50gp, 13-15-28 in the SM-Liiga regular season, and 1, 1-0-1 playoffs. Size, speed and creativity, complete range of skills.
  4. (4)  L Matthew Tkachuk, London Knights (OHL): Ended season at 57, 30-77-107 and is 2, 0-0-0 postseason. Highly skilled, Kournianos calls him the complete package.
  5. (6) LD Mikhail Sergachev, Windsor Spitfires (OHL): He spiked late and posted an OHL season of 67, 17-40-57 (finished 10, 3-11-14). He is also 2, 2-1-3 in the playoffs. Sergachev is also a fine skater and 6.02, 205—I now think he might be the best defender in the draft.
  6. (9) LD Olli Juolevi, London Knights (OHL): The Finn ended up 57gp, 9-33-42 after a solid finish to the season (14, 4-9-13 to end the year). He is 2gp, 0-1-1 in the playoffs. Smooth skater, great passer, and has a wide range of skills. Spiking in a major way.
  7. (12) C Pierre-Luc Dubois, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL): He finsihed 62, 42-57-99 and spiked over his last 14 games (12-18-30). He has good size—6.03, 201 and is described as a complete prospect. I moved him up based on assurances that his skating is not a major concern. It was mentioned in early scouting reports.
  8. (5) LD Jacob Chychrun, Sarnia Sting (OHL): Chychrun ended up 62gp, 11-38-49 on the year. He finished 22, 4-18-22 but seems to have slipped in the rankings based on what I am reading. Has played one playoff game. Fantastic skater.
  9. (8) C Michael McLeod, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): He has one playoff game and was 57, 21-40-61 in the regular season. 6.02, 187. Playmaking power center and a fantastic skater, I think he is shy offensively.
  10. (13) R Alex DeBrincat, Erie Otters (OHL): He finished 60, 51-50-101 and has an assist in one playoff game.  He finished 8, 8-10-18. Small sniper, I think he belongs top 10.
  11. (7)R Alexander Nylander, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): 57gp, 28-47-75 this season. A slick winger and a lot like his brother. He is 6.0, 172.
  12. (10) LD Jake Bean, Calgary Hitmen (WHL): He was 68gp, 24-40-64 overall and is 2, 0-2-2 in the playoffs. Bean is an effective, creative player with the puck. Intelligent defender with across the board skills. He is 6.01, 172.
  13. (18) RD Charlie McAvoy, Boston University (NCAA). He posted 37, 3-22-24 in college. 6.0, 205 he has some interesting offensive numbers for a draft-eligible college player. I bumped him partly because I am reading that he is a stunning passer. Love that skill. Complete skills.
  14. (11) C Clayton Keller, USNDTP (USHL): He was 22, 12-23-34 in the USHL, and 5.10, 170  Steve Kournianos: Keller is a strong, shifty skater with a powerful shot, displaying brilliance and hockey sense strikingly similar to Mitch Marner.
  15. (14) RD Dante Fabbro, Penticton Vees (BCJHL): He finished 45gp, 14-53-67 overall. I talked to Kirk Luedeke about him, said he as a very mature young man. ISS Hockey: “Strong offensive instincts as a puck moving D. Excellent skating & effortless stride.” Source
  16. (16) L Tyson Jost, Penticton Vees (BCJHL). He is 48, 42-62-104. Elite Prospects: Crafty goal-scorer that carries out plays as quickly as he envisions them.
  17. (23) R Vitalii Abramov, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL). Only 5.09, 170 he was 63, 38-55-93 in the Q this year. He is a May 1998, and he is pretty skilled. Finished 13, 7-12-19, his NHLE is 31.
  18. (19) C Luke Kunin, Wisconsin (NCAA): He is 34, 19-13-31 in the NCAA, that is a pretty good number for a draft eligible (Kunin is a December 1997). He is 6.0, 196, Kirk Luedeke says he has the skating and shot of a prolific scorer. Source
  19. (20) C-R Nathan Bastian, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): He went 64, 19-40-59. At 6.04, 207 he possesses both good (and improving) speed and some offensive touch, along with some savvy defensively. Can play center, may help his number.
  20. (21) C-L Kieffer Bellows, USNDTP (USHL). He is 22, 15-16-31. A nice offensive forward with good size (6.01, 194) and a scorer’s touch. Described as a good power forward who is aggressive offensively.
  21. (15) R Taylor Raddysh, Erie Otters (OHL). He posted 67, 24-49-73 this year. Another big winger (6.02, 202), he has been called a power forward by some services.
  22. (24) G Carter Hart, Everett Silvertips (WHL): He was .925 at the end of January but ended the season at .918. I am not sure what happened, but he is injured now. Don’t know that he will be in my final top 30.
  23. (25) C Tage Thompson, Connecticut Huskies (NCAA). Older player, he is a giant and yet another NCAA player inside the top 30 this year. 6.05, 185 and 36, 14-18-32 this year. He is a legit skill player who had some injury issues earlier in his junior career. NHLE: 27 points.
  24. (26) L Riley Tufte, Fargo Force (USHL). He is 22, 8-2-10 in the USHL and beating the daylights out of high school goalies. Big winger (6.04, 205) with raw skills across a wide range. I have spoken to independent scouts and to Luedeke, and the buzz on this guy is pretty massive.
  25. (17) R Julien Gauthier, Val D’Or Foreurs (QMJHL): He is 54, 41-16-57 and a monster at 6.04, 224. Great hands, speed is an issue. Finished 9, 2-3-5 and has started his playoffs.
  26. (27) C-R Pascal Laberge, Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL). He is 6.01, 172 and posted 56, 23-45-68 in the Q this year. Has two-way skills and is very aggressive.
  27. (28) C Logan Brown, Windsor Spitfires (OHL): He is 59, 21-53-74 and finished very strong. 6.06, 215 and has impressive offensive skills. A playmaker, the questions revolve around foot speed. Two points in two playoff games so far.
  28. (29) C German Rubtsov, Team Russia (MHL). He is 28, 12-14-26 in the MHL, and 3, 0-1-1 in the playoffs. Steve Kournianos of the Draft Analyst suggests he’s arguably the 2016 draft’s best two-way forward.
  29. (NR) LD Lucas Johansen, Kelowna Rockets (WHL).  He went 69, 10-39-49 this season and a late buzz has him inside the first round. He is listed at 6.01, 176 and is 2, 2-1-3 in the playoffs. Ended the regular season well, and is a point-per-game in his last 24 contests (including playoffs). A scout saw shades of Brent Seabrook in his game last spring, so we can assume he has a nice range of skills and could be trending in a big way.
  30. (22) LD Cam Dineen, North Bay Battalion (OHL): He was 68, 13-46-58 and just underay in the playoffs. Undersized at 6.0, 180 he is mobile, great passer. Steve Kournianos: Dineen is a high-end puck mover who likes to join the rush and communicates well with his teammates on the ice. Source.

OILERS CURRENT DRAFT SLOTS

1. No. 2 overall
  2. No. 32 overall
  3. No. 62 overall
  4. No. 80 overall (Pittsburgh pick)
  5. No. 84 overall (Florida pick)
  6. No. 122 overall
  7. No. 148 overall (St. Louis pick)
  8. No. 152 overall
  9. No. 182 overall

If the Oilers keep their first three picks, I could see Peter Chiarelli drafting Patrik Laine, Lucas Johansen and Stepan Falkovsky. It is going to be a very interesting draft.

109 Responses to "EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE 2016 DRAFT BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK"

1. square_wheels says:

The tension on the draft floor if we have a top 2 is going to be incredible – the options Chia has with Mathews and Laine available might make Maloney retract the OEL comments.

Anyone’s available for the right price, unless their Connor McDavid.

Suck it Toronto – wwwoooooooooottttttttttttt

Still feels great almost a year later, suspect it will for 7 more.

2. sliderule says:

I want the oil to win three of next four so unless they win the draft the will pick a D.

The two Finns are nice but as we have learned with Yakupov nothing is certain in the draft.

Tkachuk hasn’t scored that many goals and I am surprised he has held position.

There are two D in Chychrun and Sergachev that will be number one D and other than Mathews you cannot say that any forward will have a chance to be the second best forward on oil.

Chychrun is suffering from being over scouted which ofen happens with players that ave been so good at so young.

Sergachev probably is high on oiler list as Rocky would have given them good information .

Please oilers draft a D who can be an impact player.

3. OilClog says:

Yak asked for a trade ?

He’s going to make some lucky team giddy.

4. slopitch says:

Well here we are with annoy her interesting summer coming up. Yak, the lottery pick, Hamonic and the extreme need for D. It may not ever be fun being and oilers fan, but it sure ain’t boring.

5. Klima's_Bucket says:

OilClog: He’s going to make some lucky team giddy.

Really?

Besides Turris is there a recent example of a high pick that went on to flourish after a change of scenery?

6. square_wheels says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

I said it earlier in the season and I will stick by my assertion we won’t see Yak in the league beyond this contract expiring.

He will get moved this summer but another team will inherit the same issues.

7. speeds says:

Debrincat’s goal production fell pretty severely LT – he had 31 goals in his first 25 games, 20 in his last 35 GP.

Injury, just one of those things, any idea LT?

8. Rondo says:

LT,
    Maybe next time you speak with Corey Pronman you can ask him about late birthdays

I’ll be interested in Corey Pronman’s next rankings given his article regarding

“How much does a prospect’s birthdate matter?”

“In some of the biggest debates about top NHL draft prospects in recent years, one trend has been common among them. It existed in Connor McDavid vs. Jack Eichel, Taylor Hall vs. Tyler Seguin, Nathan MacKinnon vs. Seth Jones, Aaron Ekblad vs. Sam Reinhart and this draft season with Auston Matthews vs. Patrik Laine. One of these prospects played a full extra season of hockey prior to being drafted due to having a late birthdate, and the other didn’t.

Since I started doing work in the hockey prospect arena, the issue of late-birthdate prospects confounded me. After years of dealing with prospects, and doing recent research on the matter, I am convinced it is one of the most important quantitative factors that can go into prospect evaluations.”

Matthew Tkachuk has played essentially another season more than Dubois

Sergachev is also a late birthday

speeds:

Injury, just one of those things, any idea LT?

Nothing beyond time away from his center. I will have some of these cats on in the next while and ask.

10. sliderule says:

Rondo,

Sergachev to my information has one of younger birth dates 06 25 98

11. Klima's_Bucket says:

LT, how do you decide what to write for what site?

12. Rondo says:

sliderule:
    Rondo,

Sergachev to my information has one of younger birth dates 06 25 98

That is what I meant.

13. Centre of attention says:

Debrincat to me reminds me of an Eberle like player. Maybe Debrincat has a better shot but less passing prowess. (Eberle is an underrated play maker)

Would be an awesome pickup if he fell down and we snagged him. Has chem with McDavid too.

14. AsiaOil says:

Everyone has chem with McDavid……well except Taylor Hall 🙂

Centre of attention:
    Debrincat to me reminds me of an Eberle like player.

15. limit says:

Why were you ranking Laine (#5 in your list I think) and Juolevi (outside top 10) relatively low immediately after the World Juniors when most scouts had them right around where they are now?

Klima’s_Bucket:

LT, how do you decide what to write for what site?

Ha! This article was going on ON before the Yak rumor hit. Seriously. I try to make the ON articles a little wider in appeal, but beyond that I just write.

17. fifthcartel says:

The Maloney comments are amusing to me because who knows if he’s even the GM at that point.

I’d have a hard time believing the Coyotes ownership (who are they even?) wouldn’t want a young hometown kid to market vs really good defensemen but OEL isn’t really marketable the way a young scoring center is.

Besides, there’s a good argument that Arizona might even be the ones adding to that deal with the length of OEL’s contract in mind.

fifthcartel:

I’d take Doughty over Stamkos every day of the week. A real actual #1D has more value than anything else.

OEL is one of those real actual #1D. There are maybe ten of them in total.

Klefbom was showing 1st pairing ability. The Oilers miss him more than than did McDavid when he was hurt.

19. square_wheels says:

Louie’s boy Jake is having a hell of a game in Calgary tonight, just setup the GWG for the one player on the Rebs I always impressed with – Evan Polei. Of course he’s a Det draft, watch him go in to be a great depth player for the Wings.

20. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Wrote about Nail at ON

If Nail asked for a trade before the deadline, would it have not made sense for Chia to try to re-sign Purcell instead of getting an underwhelming 3rd round pick?

HeatTreaterJoe: I am assuming that Nail would have asked for a trade before the deadline, but do we have any confirmation of the actual timeline?

PC did have a target, Patrick Maroon.

22. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Lowetide: PC did have a target, Patrick Maroon.

But Maroon plays left.

Before the deadline, the RW depth was Eberle, Purcell and Yak. If Yak is traded for peanuts, our RW depth is going to be Eberle.

(*cue some smarty-pants saying that our RW depth will be Stamkos and Eberle*)

HeatTreaterJoe: But Maroon plays left.

Before the deadline, the RW depth was Eberle, Purcell and Yak.If Yak is traded for peanuts, our RW depth is going to be Eberle.

(*cue some smarty-pants saying that our RW depth will be Stamkos and Eberle*)

24. LadiesloveSmid says:

My homer side wants to be angry at Yak, and my impartial side says he did the right thing. His talent is being under-utilized, though that’s apparently paired with his unwillingness to improve the holes in his game(Stauffer). When he was playing with Roy and McDavid he was producing and his possession game improved this year. Play Hall with Letestu long enough and see what he’d do.

Hope Yak finds his groove out East, and hope the return is worth it

25. LadiesloveSmid says:

My other problem with this,

Yak is going to fetch peanuts. His boxcars are poor. Eberle should be gone for a defenceman. Either you role out with zero RW depth or you don’t bring in a high end D ala Hamonic. I guess the alternative is play Laine/Puljujarvi right away or trade away the pick for a D

26. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Yak is probably gone at the draft along with the second to trade back into the first round.

I wouldn’t mind a disgruntled prospect for prospect swap though and take a chance on Drouin.

27. Frank the dog says:

OilClog:
    Yak asked for a trade

He’s going to make some lucky team giddy.

As long as it’s not Hall. He’s the one I worry about asking for a trade. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had already asked, just not making it public – yet.
    Players talk to each other. If the ice is as tilted against Canadian teams as other data points appear to indicate – to me anyway – who could blame high end players accepting this reality and moving on to somewhere that they succeed because of good coaching, rather than failing in spite of good coaching?
    Is the NHL going to punish the Oilers until CMD decides not to play here past his ELC, or worse asks out as well?

28. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

fifthcartel:

It would have taken Matthews + Nurse or something along those lines in my opinion, and even then it seems like Maloney may not do it. #1D who play all situations for half the game who are locked up to good contracts are just too valuable in the cap world.

29. RPG says:

Kournianos has had a few interesting comments in regards to Puljujarvi. He has concerns with his abilities to score at 5v5. I’m not sure if anyone else has any concerns with this? His rankings seem odd, he’s very high on Chychrun.
    I wish we were talking about first round matchups. I find myself missing 2006 and watching YouTube highlights. We must return to the post season.
    PS. Happy Easter LT, and all the regulars. I enjoy reading this blog and the comment section tremendously. Keep up the good work y’all. I also will vote Blue Rodeo for the RE series.

30. JohnnyOilfan says:

LT, is colorado isn’t going to be able to resign Barrie because of the ask, $6mil per, and puts him on the market. Would a yak, fayne and a pick be an overpay o the Oilers? what do you think the ask would be for from colorado is my said deal isn’t good enough?

31. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I swing by HF this morning to see the reaction to the Yak request and of course front and centre is some Oiler fan tooting his horn about Maroon being the best deadline acquisition. Why do people do this to themselves? Smith-Pelly has as many points in fewer games, for example. But Oiler fans did that with touting Hall for Hart over there early in the year and look what that got them: vitriol, shame, and then pointing out after the fact how much Hall has slumped.

Maroon is shooting 18%. Not sustainable. He is going to slow down. He is fine as a 3rd line LW who can move up in a pinch. Fortunately they still have Hall and Pouliot above him in the pecking order.

32. pocession charge says:

JohnnyOilfan:

Colorado wouldn’t do that deal unless the pick was the 1st rounder. They might consider Barrie for Draisaitl or Nurse plus.

33. pocession charge says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Maroon is shooting 18%.Not sustainable. He is going to slow down. He is fine as a 3rd line LW who can move up in a pinch. Fortunately they still have Hall and Pouliot above him in the pecking order.

I like that LW lineup. The right side is questionable, though. I would like to see an upgrade on Kassian. He isn’t that offensively gifted and takes a lot of bad penalties. Add the risk of personal relapse and that makes him a target for upgrading. Personally, I would keep Yak because I don’t mind the player and you likely lose the trade. Eberle is a big question mark for me. I like player but would rather keep Nuge (or put Drai on RW). So there you have it. Leave LW alone and overhaul the RW position.

34. Wolf Of Ross St says:

If the ask from Colorado was Klefbom and swap picks for Barrie, I would make that overpay.

35. who says:

JohnnyOilfan:

Anything less than the first round pick would be a huge underpay for Barrie. Don’t know why we are even talking about him. No way Colorado is trading him.
    Yak sure is a polarizing player. Would like to see him do well because once or twice a game he teases you with glimpses of his talent. He just can’t seem to sustain it. His supporters point to bad coaching and management but I don’t know. Pretty sure I had more hockey sense at 22 with no coaching.

36. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Lowetide: Maroon was available and PC grabbed him. Suspect a player of that type for RW was not available, and also suspect the die was cast on Yakupov.

Lowetide: 2 things.
    First, I missed this morning’s thread discussions entirely. I hope you and yours had a wonderful Easter.
    Second, I think Maroon is a nice pick-up as a depth LW. I believe we can agree on that. The point I’m trying to make is that if the die was cast on Yak, Chia should have tried to re-sign Purcell. Picking up Maroon is totally unrelated to trading away Purcell since they play different positions. This doesn’t make sense unless the die was cast on Purcell refusing to re-sign too… and the way this team has been, I wouldn’t blame any pending free agents from trying to escape with the remnants of their careers.

I guess the real question to me now is… Purcell is gone and Yak presumably will be gone (and l cannot imagine the return being a capable top 6 forward), what the heck are the Oilers really expecting in terms of RW depth?

Have the Oilers already decided that Drai will play on Nuge’s wing, and we’ll just need a good 3rd line Center?

*EDIT* The team deciding on Drai as 1st/2nd RW could be good news in terms of the Oilers being less likely to trade away RNH

37. pocession charge says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Thats a risky deal. Coming to a team like Edmonton might hurt him because he’s not defensively responsible yet and could get ‘the boot jack’. Perhaps he lights it up with CMD, but then he’d likely ask for a huge contract. I’d rather pay the three C’s plus Hall the big money on forward.

38. frjohnk says:

Unfortunate about Yak but not surprising as we heard from Dreger near the deadline that Yak was in play and that Yak would be fine with a trade.

He has scored well with McDavid, Gagner and to a lesser extent Roy at 5 on 5. These 3 as his center has been 45% of his 5 on 5 time since 2012.

But he has scored at a 4th line pace with bottom 6 centers such as Letestu,Lander. But he has also scored poorly with Draisaitl and RNH. So there is that as well.

He hasn’t scored well on the PP as our PP just is not suited for him. We have too many lefties. Yak needs a righty to feed him passes on the PP.

A prospective team is getting a reclamation project and the value the Oilers get in return will reflect this.

If Yak is picked up by a balanced team and gets to play with an offensive center, Oilers most likely lose the trade.

Unfortunate situation all around.

39. GCW_69 says:

godot10: I’d take Doughty over Stamkos every day of the week.A real actual #1D has more value than anything else.

OEL is one of those real actual #1D. There are maybe ten of them in total.

Klefbom was showing 1st pairing ability.The Oilers miss him more than than did McDavid when he was hurt.

You’re talking about winning, and he is talking about ticket sales. OEL likely sells much fewer tickets on a bad team than Mathews does. OEL hasn’t moved the needle in Arizona the last two seasons, so its not like losing him means a tumble to the bottom of the standings – the team is already there.

If the scenario unfold where Edmonton does own the 1st overall pick, I would love to be listen in to the discussions going on in Arizona between the business guys and the hockey guys over an OEL for Mathews trade.

40. Atc-Nate says:

This is my darkest day as an Oilers fan. Yak asking to leave is brutal. I love that guy. :/ plus, he’s been playing quite well in the last bit, even passing the puck for a change. He’s been more defensively aware, head on a swivel when playing defense. He IS gonna be a player and I’m excited for him to go somewhere that he will get the extended opportunity he will no longer get here.

Happiest of Easters LT, yours is the one blog I read daily. Don’t stop doing what you are doing!

41. GCW_69 says:

I am not surprised that Yak asked for a trade, nor would I be surprised that the Oilers are willing to deal him.

What does surprise me is the Oilers playing Eberle with McDavid past the first 10 games together. I would think after that putting Yak back together with McDavid would only help Yak’s trade value, and putting Eberle back with Hall would have helped Hall out of his semi-slump without hurting the trade value of Eberle, or Hall, or Leon. With the season lost, and the expansion draft pushing the team away from trading the pick and into trading from the core, I would think the goal would be to maximize the value of all tradable assets. Doesn’t feel like the Oilers are going that.

42. GCW_69 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: OEL has a great contract. That increases his value, doesn’t diminish it, in my opinion.

All that ignores the marketing value of Mathews to a team that has trouble selling tickets. I don’t know if they really would trade OEL for Mathews, but of the top five draft picks this summer, there is only one that likely would drive ticket sales and that’s Mathews. Maybe they could get a marketing bump out of legacy story with Tkachuk, but iffy, I think. As a pure hockey decision, trading Mathews for OEL is probably a poor bet. As a business decision, where they walk away from the draft with Mathews and one of the top defenders available, I think a stronger argument can be made for doing the deal.

43. Kitchener says:

It isn’t fun to hear the Yak news/rumour, but it’s hardly a surprise to start imagining next year’s lineup without Nail. There are situations where he can still flourish and I hope he finds one.

44. Offside says:

I understand why Yak is asking for a trade. He needs to try and salvage his career which is costing him millions of dollars. But it’s not Eakins fault that he can’t out score Letestu

45. MrEd says:

So it sounds like Yak has made up his mind. So there’s that. Personally, I’m kind of glad that he made MY mind up for me. Surely there is a team that would give up a depth RH forward or D for him.
    On the bright side we could do worse than have Eberle around for a little while longer. All he does is score.
    Am I addicted to cost controlled talent? Although if I’m Chia, what message am I sending by holding the pick to the current group even if it’s what’s best? I’m keeping the pick. I think.

Matthews, Laine, and Tkachuk excite me. Puljujarvi scares me- for some reason I smell MPS.

I know the Draft Lottery is a contentious issue but I’m looking at the bottom end of the standings tonight and IMO there are a lot of teams that could make a case for having an equal shot at the top pick. 10 teams?

46. PunjabiOil says:

I probably have Dubois at 3rd or 4th. 6″3 Center – his 99 points 20 higher than 2nd on the team. He is also a late June birthday. Those are an impressive set of numbers – would not be upset one way or another if ended up with him.

Matthew Tkachuk concerns me. London has history running the big lines, and he’s also on a team with Dvorak and Marner. Those low goal totals question me if he’s pushing the river, or just going along for the ride.

Both the Fins concern me. Puljujarvi more so – all reports question his ability to finish. Harkens memories to Magnus Paajaarvi-Svennsson.

All 3 of the defencemen look great. It’s one of those drafts where if you’re drafting 3rd or so, to consider moving to 5th or 6th for a ransom?

47. MrEd says:

GCW_69,

The goal is to win.

48. Kitchener says:

MrEd,

Funny. Yes, a bright side to this story is that Eberle is now even lonelier on the RW depth chart, increasing the odds that he’ll be back next year. I hope RNH and Drai are here next year too, but I do wonder how a Yak trade changes the logic of which assets are available to upgrade the D…

49. MrEd says:

GCW_69,

It’s not you it’s me. OEL is a Coyote my friends.

who,

Don’t know why we are even talking about him. No way Colorado is trading him.

Barrie’s name has been out there forever because Kroenke has them on a budget and they are backing up the Brinks truck for McKinnon.

I’d imagine they’d take a high pick for him or high end prospect who’s still cheap.

No way you get him for Yak and Fayne.

51. PunjabiOil says:

Re: Yakupov – a vancouver reporter last mentioned he wasn’t doing the drills properly and one of the assistant coaches told him do them properly or get off the ice.

4 coaches have not been able to figure out Yakupov. He’s a first overall pick and its on him to produce.
    His shot which was once acclaimed in junior is in the single digits. This is what he is – low hockey iq limiting his ceiling. Unfortunate but now you cut your losses and move him. At the end of the day it’s a business and he has to perform – that’s life.

GCW_69:

What does surprise me is the Oilers playing Eberle with McDavid past the first 10 games together.I would think after that putting Yak back together with McDavid would only help Yak’s trade value, and putting Eberle back with Hall would have helped Hall out of his semi-slump without hurting the trade value of Eberle, or Hall, or Leon.With the season lost, and the expansion draft pushing the team away from trading the pick and into trading from the core, I would think the goal would be to maximize the value of all tradable assets.Doesn’t feel like the Oilers are going that.

Maybe they’re worried about getting more for Eberle than Yak?

53. Bruce McCurdy says:

MrEd:
    GCW_69,

It’s not you it’s me.OEL is a Coyote my friends.

HeatTreaterJoe: But Maroon plays left.

(*cue some smarty-pants saying that our RW depth will be Stamkos and Eberle*)

Naw, just Stamkos

Bruce McCurdy: Only because Peter Chiarelli hasn’t done his damn job. He should be fired because OEL isn’t an Oiler already.

In fairness, Tambi traded Omark. I think.

56. MrEd says:

Bruce McCurdy,

There was a window?

57. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: In fairness, Tambi traded Omark. I think.

Is it officially a trade when “conditional pick” becomes “sweet fuck all”?

58. Bruce McCurdy says:

MrEd:
    Bruce McCurdy,

There was a window?

I have it on good auth…er, mediocre author…er, some verdude on the Internet that Chiarelli should have done the deal. Clearly Maloney is now bluffing to save face.

Bruce McCurdy: Is it officially a trade when “conditional pick” becomes “sweet fuck all”?

Still better value than Jarred Smithson.

60. Johnny skid says:

Woodguy: Maybe they’re worried about getting more for Eberle than Yak?

i remember the team playing purcell and shultz to increase their trade value. i never saw the benefit.

61. PunjabiOil says:

Is it officially a trade when “conditional pick” becomes “sweet fuck all”?

I believe it was conditional 6th round pick if he played 14 games for Buffalo.

They played him 13 games.

Those fuckers.

Seems like he’s still putting up great numbers in Europe.

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Still better value than Jarred Smithson.

Hey now Smithson played 10 games, I think we might even have won one or two of them.

63. Kitchener says:

Silver linings to the pending Yak trade:

– one less F spot dedicated to “seasoning a youngster”
    – an asset back to the team, possibly a steady D, high risk/reward youngster, or ____
    – clear room in the top 6 for Drai/RNH to both stay put for many years
    – Eberle almost certain to be retained
    – one less 1OV contract to manage down the road (…though Yak’s performance had already solved this)
    – an end to the strange uncertainty about Yak’s future with the team (it’s been an odd relationship all along)
    – room for a free agent veteran RW/C better suited to rounding out the top 9 than Yak (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2016&pos=F)
    – if the rumours are true that ownership vetoed the scouts at the 2012 draft table, a lesson in letting the hockey men make the hockey decisions

What else?

64. Frank the dog says:

Kitchener:
    Silver linings to the pending Yak trade:

– one less F spot dedicated to “seasoning a youngster”
    – clear room in the top 6 for Drai/RNH to both stay put for many years
    – Eberle almost certain to be retained

What else?

– Hall doesn’t have to try to pass pucks to a water fly.

65. MrEd says:

Kitchener,

Laine or Tkachuk can see light:)

66. MrEd says:

Kitchener,
    RNH stays because Dry stays too as a winger.

I wonder if Yak + Fayne for Severson + 3rd or something like that is doable?

68. PunjabiOil says:

MTL, Winnipeg, NJD, and Carolina purportedly had the most interest

Before the deadline I was packed and ready to go.
    -To quote you “I waited for a trade until the last possible moment”.
    -That is exactly right.

-When was it you first thought that a trade was necessary, and were there real circumstances that made you believe that a trade will occur?
    -There were, and as far as I know, I came really close to being traded. I was all packed and ready to go. Moreover, Igor Larinov and I were given permission to talk to other teams. There was a whole lineup of interested teams; however, at the last moment something went wrong, so I am still here.

-It was written that MTL, WPG, NJD, and CAR were all interested in you, which of them was the closest to making a trade for you, and which did you prefer the most?
    -That is far from the entire list – we can name at least two or three more teams. Unfortunately, we can speak all day about who was interested in me, and who did I want to play for. The fact of the matter is that it did not happen and I am still in Edmonton. We will see what happens in the summer after the regular season and playoffs end. There will be a lot more time for negotiations, without the teams pressuring each other by the trade deadline. As a result, a trade will be much easier to make, though, at the end of the day the Oilers organization has the final say on the matter.

-Did you (yourself) request a trade?
    -Yes, I did, but I did not request it in person, as my job revolves around playing hockey. I did it through my agent, whose job it is to deal with such questions. However, if there were trade talks, there must have been a reason behind them.

-How did Larionov advise you to conduct yourself in such a situation?
    -Just play, and live a regular hockey life. Do my job every day. I tried to practice(workout), work, and simply enjoy hockey. Discussing a trade is simply none of my business(not my job), and I shouldn’t worry myself too much over it.

-Have you considered returning to the KHL?
    -No, no, and no again.

-Did you know that CSKA bought your rights from Neftekhimik?
    -Yes, I heard about it. I do not have any hard feeling towards my previous team. They(CSKA) perfectly understand that I will not be arriving any time soon, and it seems like they(Neftekhimik?) got good players for me.

-Where are you planning to visit in the offseason?
    -England. I am a fan of Chelsea FC. Just yesterday, I was told quite an interesting story about Jose Mourinho, and his time with the team. I really want to visit London, and watch Chelsea live at Stamford Bridge(In this Larionov, who has great connections with the club, promised to help him). I have never been there, and I really want to see it with my own eyes.

69. MrEd says:

Woodguy,

Too realistic:) Go for the 2nd. Seriously.

70. 31saves says:

This yakupov news has me bummed out… Regardless of the stats, he’s always been a personal favourite mine. I think the reason he was my favourite was how unpredictable he was..
    By no means bragging, but after watching the nhl for so long, playing hockey for so long (in goal no less, so I’m watching the game from a very unique perspective) the play can get fairly repetitive. Sometimes I’ll try to predict what’s going to happen during the games, where they’ll shoot, pass, dump, skate.. Whatever.

Nail yakupov was always unpredictable. For that reason he commanded my attention every time he stepped onto the ice. For that reason, for better or worse, he was always the most exciting player on the ice (until Mcdavid came along of course). His positioning was strange, his awareness was odd, even his skating stride seemed bizarre.. Yet somehow he always seemed to be on the cusp of greatness. Perhaps the greatest metaphor for his short career thus far is his own shot. Amazing in all aspects, yet it just could never quite hit the mark.

Unfortunately, his unpredictability that makes him such an enjoyable player is also his downfall.. The coaches don’t like him, and too often do his teammates look away on a pass. Not that I can blame themselves, it’s hard to make a pass to a player like yakupov.
    The puck could just as easily be in your own net as the opponents within the next 5 seconds. The stats back this up as well, unfortunately all too well, As we all know.

Despite all his flaws, he was an enigma, one i cheered like heck for as an oiler, will cheer like heck for
    In the final few games, and will Cheer like heck for as a part of whatever organization he will inevitably
    Move onto.

Overall, yakupov is an entertaining player. Me and my brother watch nearly every game, and sit at the edge of our seats when he steps on the ice in case he figures it out this time. In fact most of
    The games we watch revolve Around him. Well sit and joke about what he’s doing on the ice, fake
    Russian accents and all! We try to make sense why the (on paper) perfect pairing on nuge and yakupov Can never do well together. Our only conclusion is yakupov must tell awful,
    Terrible punny jokes to nugent Hopkins on the bench, throwing off his game.

Sorry for the thread hijack(?), but I felt like I needed to vent about this a bit.. Honestly the team will probably be better off without nail. He’s been used as a third line forward, can’t play the pk, hardly knows defence (although getting it a lot better lately) and the coach doesn’t trust him In key situations. He’ll be replaced by a player who can do all those things and maybe chip in a few goals next year, maybe improving the team next year.

But for as much as its a business, hockey is just a game. It’s entertainment. To me, besides Connor Mcdavid, who is otherworldly, Nail Yakupov represented the entertainment part of The game to the letter. He may not be the best player on the ice, but hes always the most interesting. It sounds like his mind is set, but I hope he has a change of heart, for while the games will go on as they always have, but they just won’t even as much fun when he’s gone.

71. Hockey Buddha says:

Nice post, Kitchener! Yak will likely get dealt in the summer, but it’s by no means a certainty. Chiarelli holds the cards on his trade request. I suspect that we’re seeing Yakupov’s final few games as an Oiler, but if I’ve gleaned anything out of life it’s that nothing is for certain–a lot can happen between now and the beginning of next season. Yakupov doesn’t hold the hammer on this, and I’d say there’s still a 25-35% chance that Yakupov is still an Oiler come the beginning of next season. It all depends on what options are open to the Oilers in the summer; a Yak trade may not happen until sometime next season or not at all, depending on the value of the return. The expansion draft may increase Yakupov’s trade value slightly, but I can’t see his current value being astronomical.

The other part of this is that young men can make rash decisions and can likewise have a change of heart. Yakupov seems like a fiery, competitive guy. The flip side of all that determination and passion is frustration and anger when things aren’t going your way; it kind of comes with the territory. I suspect Yak’s frustrated with the team’s performance and how he’s being utilized, but Chiarelli won’t just give Yak away given his draft pedigree and justifiably so. Yak has to play out his end of the bargain. I feel for the kid and hope things work out well for both parties. I know how much losing has sucked as a fan of this franchise; it’s hard to imagine how embittering all the frustration might be as a 22-year-old player.

72. PunjabiOil says:

I wonder if Yak + Fayne for Severson + 3rd or something like that is doable?

NJ has alot of capspace, that’s for sure.

If the Oilers do go that route, will need to add a 2 year contract to expose for the draft in June 2017 however to meet the minimum thresholds.

73. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

GCW_69: All that ignores the marketing value of Mathews to a team that has trouble selling tickets.I don’t know if they really would trade OEL for Mathews, but of the top five draft picks this summer, there is only one that likely would drive ticket sales and that’s Mathews.Maybe they could get a marketing bump out of legacy story with Tkachuk, but iffy, I think.As a pure hockey decision, trading Mathews for OEL is probably a poor bet.As a business decision, where they walk away from the draft with Mathews and one of the top defenders available, I think a stronger argument can be made for doing the deal.

The best marketing is winning. OEL helps them win more than does Matthews.

Even better marketing in Arizona is moving the damn team from. Glendale to Phoenix/Scottsdale.

I think the Matthews for OEL because of marketing angle is so overplayed.

74. Woogie63 says:

Woodguy:
    I wonder if Yak + Fayne for Severson + 3rd or something like that is doable?

Do you have Severson ahead of Larrson?

75. MrEd says:

PunjabiOil,
    -Where are you going to end up Yak?
    -Coney Island. Either way.

76. Hockey Buddha says:

Thanks for the translation on the article, Punjabioil!

77. who says:

Woodguy:
    who,

Don’t know why we are even talking about him. No way Colorado is trading him.

No way you get him for Yak and Fayne.

If you were Colorado, and on a budget, wouldn’t you look for other places to cut costs before trading Barrie.

78. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woogie63,

Larsson is way ahead. No way to get Larsson now for anything reasonable.

We were talking about trading for him 2 years ago. That was the possible window.

Now Jersey fans have him rated above Nuge in a re-draft of 2011 and want RNH+ to even consider moving him.

They have Severson a notch below for sure.

79. StixMalone says:

Perhaps this is why Yak has been utilized in a poor fashion? Perhaps “you want out? Well let’s see how you like your new line mates on the 4 th line!” I feel for the guy but the writing was on the wall a long time ago……

80. LostBoy says:

Maroon’s an interesting case.

Jim Matheson has a story on him up on whatever the Edmonton scrambled papers are supposed to be called, in which he compares him to lazy, rich Dustin Penner, now out of hockey and we’re told living the high life in LA.

Not mentioned is the fact that Maroon was summarily dismissed from the Philadelphia system despite having established himself as a dominant AHL player and apparently one of their best prospects. Like, sent home, abruptly, early in the 2010-2011 season, when he was the Phantoms leading scorer. Hands washed. Shock and questions all round. Still never really been explained, the blanks have been sort of filled in with general a-holery, cancer in the room (from Flyers organization supporters, at least), whatever.

And now Anaheim moves him for peanuts. And actually retains salary.

Like, I’ll take it and all. Presumably he’s had plenty of time to get older and wiser since whatever the heck he did that made Philly flush him, send him home, and walk away, and this weird looking steal of a trade is just a hockey move. But given the history, the eyebrows raise a little higher at a 4th and Gernat.

In any case, there’s some baggage there I haven’t seen mentioned. I don’t actually think Matty’s comparison of Penner to Maroon, with the former found wanting, is all that fair.

I don’t mean to cast aspersions on the guy and I hope he’s part of the answer. But I just find it a bit weird that Kassian has been examined upside down and sideways. Maroon hasn’t crashed into any trees, or been publicly sent to rehab (not suggesting in any way, shape, or form Maroon has any of those kinds of off-ice problems). But there’s some unexplained baddassery early on. I only bring it up because I don’t think Matty should be making unflattering comparisons without context.

81. dsr29 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: The best marketing is winning. OEL helps them win more than does Matthews.

I think the Matthews for OEL because of marketing angle is so overplayed.

Woogie63: Do you have Severson ahead of Larrson?

Nope.

Not even close.

He’d play 3RD here (hopefully behind Demers and another) and the PP.

He’s a decent young 2RD.

who: Am I overvaluing Barrie. Every time I see him play he impresses the hell out of me. Colorado beats Minny in the playoffs a couole of years ago if Cooke doesn’t take out his knee.

You’re not undervaluing Barrie.

I’d move heaven and earth to keep him too.

There’s been lots in the media about his availability and $$$ being the reason why.

They have lots of players I’d try to dump before trading him.

84. Hockey Buddha says:

LostBoy,

With Maroon, I really don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth. The guy’s been a gem so far with the team. Whatever his past issues, this is a new opportunity for him, so I’ll judge him based on what he does from here on. The guy has physical attributes this team needs. Everyone has some kind of history or another. Throw a lot of money at young men, and they can sniff out trouble, become complacent, whatever. People learn and move on or they don’t. We’ll see. We’ve got two guys (Kassian and Maroon) who could be valuable additions to this team, or they could fall out of favour entirely and not have another shot in the NHL. It’s up to them to make good. Good luck to both young men. I like both gambles. They’ve changed the dynamic of the team in a hurry.

85. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

dsr29: They’re not winning with OEL, maybe marketing local boy while losing is better for attendance.

Not going to happen either way. We just heard Maloney himself say it would never happen. I don’t know why we keep flogging this dead horse.

86. G Money says:

New viz is done

There is a blue bar and a red bar for every player, pair, line. The purple bar shows the degree of overlap between the two.

So you read the CF +- from the blue – but if the blue bar is fully overwritten, use the purple bar.

And you read the DFF +- from the red bar – but if the red bar is fully overwritten, the purple bar.

The purpose is to look for big differences between the two, which is suggesting that the ‘danger’ level of that player, pair, line is quite different from what the raw metrics suggest.

Will be in the post games starting next game.

87. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I guess if the Oilers are going to move Yak they should move him as much as possible for an expansion draft exempt D.

Klefbom
    Nurse
    Ference

Likely to lose Davidson

If the rules play out as expected.
    Don’t think they can buy out Ference this summer because he has been on LTIR

Curse Mact for not pulling the trigger on that alleged trade offer last year’s deadline

88. PokeCheck says:

I would be hesitant to take Tkachuk at #4. He’s benefited from playing on an ELITE line with two guys (Marner and Dvorak) who put up well over 100 points the year before without him and were both over 1ppg at the WJC this past year. I only caught a few of London’s games this year, but from what I saw it was Marner who was pushing that river. If the Oilers end up in that slot they should go for the best defencemen available.

89. AsiaOil says:

Only one word for this – bullshit.

Kruger figured out Yak very well thank you very much. Top rookie points scorer and goal scorer. Low IQ may be the definition of this post but who made gave you the right to say anything about anyone’s intelligence. Yak’s possession numbers and play in both ends have been just fine when he’s not chained to Letestu and Korpse. Really PJO – this is an embarrassing post that you should be ashamed of – a total drive by with zero content or evidence for any of the slander.

Delete my post if you want LT – just as long as you nuke the source as well.

PunjabiOil:

4 coaches have not been able to figure out Yakupov.He’s a first overall pick and its on him to produce.
    His shot which was once acclaimed in junior is in the single digits.This is what he is – low hockey iq limiting his ceiling.Unfortunate but now you cut your losses and move him.At the end of the day it’s a business and he has to perform – that’s life.

90. hunter1909 says:

Re Yak getting traded:

Good teams invariably improve themselves whenever they make a trade. Poor teams invariably get worse(Oilers trading Stoll and Greene to the Kings for busts+picks is a perfect example).

Recently, Oilers have gifted Petry to the Habs and Schultz to the Pens. Now Yakupov’s about to get run out of Dodge.

What chance is there for this to turn out to be anything but a disaster?

91. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

hunter1909:
    Re Yak getting traded:

What chance is there for this to turn out to be anything but a disaster?

I agree and am hopeful they find a way to work this out.

But didn’t they trade Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky? That guy was legit and would be the Oilers’ best D right now (at the time).

92. GCW_69 says:

I think the Matthews for OEL because of marketing angle is so overplayed.

You can choose to ignore the marketing angle all you want. It’s real. Is it strong enough to pull OEL out of Arizona? I don’t know. Is it strong enough to generate a conversation amongst Arizona management? Damn straight it is.

93. GCW_69 says:

Woodguy:
    I wonder if Yak + Fayne for Severson + 3rd or something like that is doable?

Might have to take more money back for Jersey to do the deal, but that would be a good outcome for both sides.

94. John Chambers says:

If I’m Chiarelli I’m not in a hurry to trade Yakupov.

He’s inexpensive, he’s under team control, and despite the poor offence he has improved his overall game. His value is also rock-bottom.

No reason to see what a full healthy season with a quality centre might do for the young wing.

Stoll and Greene for Lubo was a fine trade. Lubo was a fabulous player when he arrived, not his fault the game had passed Pat Quinn by.

96. PunjabiOil says:

Low IQ may be the definition of this post but who made gave you the right to say anything about anyone’s intelligence. Yak’s possession numbers and play in both ends have been just fine when he’s not chained to Letestu and Korpse. Really PJO – this is an embarrassing post that you should be ashamed of – a total drive by with zero content or evidence. .

Please re-read before being quick to going on a rant.

I wrote low hockey iq which is not the same as general iq. You can deny it until your face is blue but there is lots of evidence he doesn’t use his teammates well, doesn’t assert himself in position for his line mates, and despite a heavy shot is unable to use it well which has resulted in single digit shooting oercentage for the past three years. The only time he produced this year was with generational talent Connor with 10 points in the first 11 games.

If he was a late first rounder or not a fan favourite he would never garner the attention he does.

It’s also selective amnesia to suggest Krueger figured it out with him. If I call recall correctly he had something like 7 points in the final two games and there were concerns about his performance all season. It’s just he was in the honeymoon phase of his career at that time. An unsustainable 21 percent shooting percentage didn’t hurt either.

The first sign of adversity the next season and he’s requesting a trade through his agent.

Lets not shield ourselves from the uncomfortable truth.

97. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

GCW_69: They have sucked with him the last few seasons and they aren’t moving the team from Glendale. Sure the best marketing is winning but they haven’t been and they won’t for a while. So, as we oiler fans should know, the next best marketing strategy is selling hope. Matthews is the poster boy for selling hope, OEL is not.

You can choose to ignore the marketing angle all you want. It’s real. Is it strong enough to pull OEL out of Arizona? I don’t know.Is it strong enough to generate a conversation amongst Arizona management?Damn straight it is.

I am not ignoring any angle. But you seemed to have missed the memo that the Coyotes are likely to move from Glendale to Tempe.

That does wonders for the fans. There are way more hockey fans in Southeast Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Chandler. Plus that’s just an hour and a half from Tucson, where I temporarily reside and there are lots of Canadian hockey fans, as opposed to three hours from Tucson across Phoenix to Glendale.

Moving the team to Tempe would do much more for marketing and butts in seats than Matthews would.

98. v4ance says:

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey

Supplemental to McKenzie’s thoughts on Yakupov via Montreal radio in that post, he was also on Edmonton radio last hour. Tweets to follow.

McKenzie: I think it’s fair to say before Yakupov was asking #Oilers for trade, Oilers were wide open to and probably trying to trade him.

“That’s not unusual,” to have #Oilers let Yakupov’s agent seek poss. trade, “especially when they’re eager to move the player on.”

asked if this story coming out hurts Yakupov’s trade value any more: “No, I don’t think so.” #Oilers

“I’ve never gotten the sense anybody is looking at it and saying, ‘Oh, this reflects poorly on Nail Yakupov.’

“There’s times where his play has reflected poorly on Yakupov, but this certainly doesn’t change anything.

99. hunter1909 says:

Everything I ever read about the Senators reminds me of the pre-2005 Oilers.

A combination of Yakupov with other players, picks and prospects for Karlsson please, Chiarelli.

100. hunter1909 says:

Yet the Whack-a-Mole management opines for the exact type of players they traded away, simultaneously mismanaging the ones they received from LAK.

101. Jaxon says:

Hey Lowetide,

I was all for one of Laine or Puljujarvi as all reports and scouting have been so positive on them. But there must be a disconnect in the NHLe for SM-Liiga as the NHLe of .29 puts Laine’s NHLE at 17pts and Puljujarvi’s NHLe at 13pts!! What gives? That seems like terrible offence for a top 3 player.

If they are much better offensively than their NHLe, then I would lean toward Puljujarvi. I know you have been leaning to Laine and I am a bit confused why. Just offence? Just a gut thing? Because your verbal often talks about how much you value speed, vision, smart player with a complete game (which all point to Puljujarvi). They both have decent size. You have also mentioned that the Oilers are in severe need of a righty to offset all the lefties (Puljujarvi is the only righty in the top of the draft). To me, Puljujarvi checks all your boxes, yet you put Laine ahead of Puljujarvi. Not a big deal. I’m guessing it’s purely offence, but neither have great NHLes and the verbal from scouts usually says there isn’t a lot of daylight between them but one is faster with a more complete game. With it looking like Yakupov is leaving town on the first available train, restocking the RW cupboard (with a right-hander) seems like an astute move.

Pouliot / McDavid / Eberle
    Hall / Draisaitl / Kassian
    Maroon / Nugent-Hopkins / Puljujravi
    Hendricks (Slepyshev) / Letestu (Yakimov) / Yakupov (Pakarinen)

That’s an impressive top 9. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

102. hunter1909 says:

John Chambers:
    If I’m Chiarelli I’m not in a hurry to trade Yakupov.

You might be 100% correct.

So far Chiarelli’s done nothing to worry me. It’s Oiler fans, reeking from the previous(and still collecting fat salaries) regime who want Chiarelli being crazy/stupid enough to trade Darnell Nurse off for a short term upgrade/long term nightmare.

103. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

If this bush league is going to force teams to protect ANY player on LTIR, regardless of NMC, then clearly there should be a grievance by the NHLPA.

In the end though, I don’t know how there is enough disposable capital in the province of Quebec to fund an NHL team and sell advertisement and luxury boxes. Last time I looked at my T4 there was strong evidence that they still needed a healthy share of 49% of my income to keep their economy subsidized.

Vegas is another head scratcher, is every game going to be Friday or Saturday night ? The locals are not interested in hockey, let’s not pretend they will be. The team might be a novelty for the weekend party crowds but they aren’t heading to Vegas to watch expansion grade hockey for 3 hours on a Saturday night.

I think expansion is unlikely, highly unlikely if the markets continue to be unstable. We don’t need to worry about expansion until after the next CBA, this is all hot air from the league in preparation for the negotiations.

104. who says:

31saves:

Nail yakupov was always unpredictable. For that reason he commanded my attention every time he stepped onto the ice. For that reason, for better or worse, he was always the most exciting player on the ice (until Mcdavid came along of course).His positioning was strange, his awareness was odd, even his skating stride seemed bizarre.. Yet somehow he always seemed to be on the cusp of greatness. Perhaps the greatest metaphor for his short career thus far is his own shot. Amazing in all aspects, yet it just could never quite hit the mark.

Move onto.

Terrible punny jokes to nugent Hopkins on the bench, throwing off his game.

Wow. You’ve just described my feelings about yak perfectly. I also agree with you that watching hockey should be more about entertainment. I would take it one step further and say I would rather watch the oilers lose playing an entertaining style of hockey than see them win by grinding it out. My life ain’t gonna change if they win the cup so if I am going to commit three hours of my evening to watching them I want it to be enjoyable. That is why I root for the skill guys.

No it wasn’t. One was trading players entering the prime of their career, for a mid-thirty something player, creating a massive hole in the key 25-29 year old age group of the roster.

There has never been a successful NHL team with a doughnut hole rosters of young twenty-somethings, and 30-somethings, which was Lowe and MacT’s strategy post SC final. Old guys and young guys, and trade away all the emerging mid-career guys (since they were perceived to have minor flaws).

It was also a deal where they forced their own hand, because they were dumping a mid-twenties D in Pitkanen.

So they dumped two emerging mid-twenties core players in Stoll and Pitkanen, and emerging young defensive D, for veterans Visnovsky and Cole, who were on the wrong side of 30.

Lousy roster management.

square_wheels:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

There is no LTIR during the summer once the new NHL year starts. LTIR starts with the roster cutdown to 23 players in October.

107. reckless restraint says:

Candella would be a better choice than Falkovsky.

108. Water Fire says:

Maybe St Louis would be interested in Yak, he is feisty and cheap. I’d want to gauge Shattenkirk’s interest in Canadian teams first.