RE 15-16 LEON DRAISAITL: TRUST YOURSELF

Leon Draisaitl is Paul Bunyan, with a stick the size of a tree and hands by Charmin. He arrived in training camp without a job certain, and despite working hard and showing well, was demoted to the AHL. I have thought about what LD might have been going through at that time—you know, sometimes young people react badly to that kind of thing—but he went down to the farm. He did not perform expertly in Bakersfield, but the hockey Gods offered up the gift of injury. Leon scored twice just after his plane landed, and he drove from there. Leon Draisaitl is a substantial young NHL player. (Trust Yourself)

LEON DRAISAITL 2014-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.05 (10th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 1.76 (12th among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 52.1
  • Qual Comp: 11th toughest competition among regulars (fourth line)
  • Qual Team: 11th best competition among regulars (fourth line)
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 6.0
  • Zone Start: 79.2%
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 49 shots/4.1%
  • Boxcars: 37, 2-7-9

LEON DRAISAITL 2015-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.20 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.09 (9th among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 51.8 (first among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest competition among regulars (2line)
  • Qual Team: best competition among regulars (1line)
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 12.0 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 133 shots/14.3%
  • Boxcars: 72, 19-32-51

(All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and BehindtheNet.ca)

WAR-ON-ICE PLAYER CHART

war on ice sledgehammerDraisaitl got the push and the linemates, but he also delivered. As well, this is a player with size. We can talk about wing or center (48.4 percent on the dot, that isn’t bad) but it is important to acknowledge this as a terrific year by a young, emerging player.

RE 15-16: 41GP, 8-12-20 .487

ACTUAL 15-16: 72GP, 19-32-51 .708

1. That is a good season. Very nice. He performed well from the first night, where he, Hall and Nuge carved the Habs a new one. One of the highlights of the season.
  2. Too bad he couldn’t keep it going. Leon had a strong run before the AS break (40, 12-25-37) but the post AS break (32, 7-7-14) was not good at all.
  3. What the hell happened? Part of it comes from his shooting percentage correcting. From October through the end of November, he scored eight goals in 31 shots. That’s over 25 percent shooting, no way he could have kept it up.
  4. What else? I think he faded, lost a step even. Leon came into the year with all kinds of momentum, looked like a different player. He ended it looking weathered. Injury, losing his stride, exhaustion, all three? Don’t know.
  5. Surely there is something more. McDavid’s injury would have allowed opponents to key on his line, and of course LD was moved to the middle and Nuge moved off his line. Hall—Nuge—Leon was very successful.
  6. I don’t see a lot of passion in his game. You’re an idiot. Elliotte Friedman: Apparently, Draisaitl had somewhat of an epic meeting when told he was going to AHL Bakersfield at the start of the season. He let the Oilers know how upset he was, but wouldn’t specifically go into what was said. “I was really disappointed…being the last guy cut was hard for me to take,” he admitted. “It took about a week to get over that and it showed in the way I played. Then you think, ‘This might be good for me, working on weaknesses.’ My mind changed.” Source
  7. Who did he perform well with? All the skill guys. Nuge (4.2), Purcell (2.71), Hall (2.42), all but Eberle and they played together when 14 came back iirc. Played well with Maroon and Kassian, not so with Nail but they only played 79 minutes together. This is 5×5. Eberle was the drummer from the Dave Clark Five when he got back, wooden and predictable.
  8. Who was the drummer for the Dave Clark Five? Dave Clark.
  9. What were some of the cool fancies for Leon? War on ice has a bunch of excellent stuff. For instance, his penalty differential (+10) left him behind only Eberle (13) and Lander (12!). The big surprise there, Hall was only +1. Daft refs. (5×5 numbers)
  10. What else? His high-danger scoring chance per 60 was 13.36. Now, that was No. 3 among regular forwards on the Oil, No. 24 in the NHL. Oilers had three of the top 24 in the NHL—all of this is 5×5 by the way.
  11. Who is his recent comparable? Using first two seasons and a tightened age range, the most comparables are Nathan Horton, David Pastrnak, Jakub Voracek, Brendan Gallagher and Michael Frolik. (Source)
  12. Blocks? 18, Matt Hendricks led all forwards with 68. Hall had 50.
  13. Could he be the one to get traded? No chance. Leon is right in the age range for McDavid’s cluster (LD is over 400 days older than CMD) and Edmonton might be able to sign him to a long-term deal for (somewhat) reasonable money this summer. He is a keeper, gives Edmonton a different look on the skill lines.
  14. Did management’s opinion of him change over the year? Todd McLellan, early September (via Bob Stauffer): ”I look at Leon Draisiatl, and in my opinion Nugent-Hopkins and Connor McDavid are going to be #1 and #2 centremen in our organization for a long, long time, they’re that talented and that good. Not that Leon isn’t… But career-wise, he might love to be on one of their wings and playing in the top six rather than maybe being that third-line centre. I think it’s really unfair to peg him there, but we have to look at it from that perspective. [The defensive] responsibilities as a winger are somewhat less, his boardwork is quite good, and one of the things that impressed me the most about Leon is his ability to play on his backhand. Joe Thornton has incredible eyes and makes incredible passes on his backhand. For a young man like Leon, he did the exact same thing at our summer development camp, which is something I wasn’t aware of.” Source
  15. So what does that mean? Well, things change. We have reached the end of a season where Draisaitl took over 1,000 faceoffs, played against the biggest, toughest forwards and defense in the conference from that position. I believe they liked him there, maybe more than they thought they would.
  16. So he is a center? Yes, I believe that is going to be his position, possibly as soon as this fall. We will see how the summer goes.
  17. He needs to be right handed. Oilers could really use a righty C no doubt, but the kind of player required for that role is quite rare these days. You should look for that player, but have the position covered no matter the shooter’s handedness.
  18. What is the most impressive thing about his year? Leon finished—despite the struggles—at 2.20 points-per-60 at 5×5. He ranked No. 20 among NHL forwards—just ahead of Jamie Benn.
  19. Big whoop. Sam Gagner did the same thing in 2007-08. Gagner was 1.99 points-per-60 at 5×5 that year, ranking him No.78 overall. You bring up an excellent comparison though, because Leon offered the Oilers better offense (Gagner did have an excellent rookie year offensively) and a wider range of skills.
  20. Gagner was playing with Nilsson and Cogliano! No doubt, but the two players are not close in terms of skill range. Leon, at 20, showed more range than Gagner has to this day—and I like Gagner with the puck on his stick.
  21. What kind of player will he be? Leon is going to be a load, on offense (so very skilled, insane passes) and physically (he already wins battles and has some strength to add as he matures), plus he is a determined back checker. Absolutely thrilled with his growth as a player this season.
  22. Many people are talking like he was disappointing. Leon finished tired, that’s no sin when you are 20 and playing your first season. The young man has so much to offer, and is 20. I consider him to be a lock for Edmonton’s future, absolute inner circle Oiler for the next decade. If you saw this team at center over the last decade, it is a mystery to me how you can come to a different conclusion.
  23. Why this song? I like the idea of Trust Yourself for Leon, the big man can wheel and pass like Weight, but sometimes gets a little shy on his creativity. There is also some raunch to the guitars and keyboards on this version (from Letterman) and that fits our man Leon.
  24. Bull in a china shop? Get the hell out of the way.

89 Responses to "RE 15-16 LEON DRAISAITL: TRUST YOURSELF"

Today on the Lowdown, 10 this morning TSN 1260.

1. Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. The Oilers at center—will there be movement this summer?
    2. Anthony Mingioni, Center Ice Philly. Ed Snider passing, Flyers in the capital.
    3. Chuck Gormley, CSN Washington. Is this the year Ovie wins Stanley?
    4. Frank Seravalli, TSN. How crazy will Canada’s teams go in the trade market this summer?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Tune in! Free air!

2. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

“That is a good season. Very nice. He performed well from the first night, where he, Hall and Nuge carved the Habs a new one. One of the highlights of the season.”

Hard to believe the Habs were among the best teams in the league at the time.

3. Jethro Tull says:

“… and hands by Charmin.”

Soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent, or covered in shit?

Nuge must be jealous of Leon’s 50pt season. Don’t worry little baby Nuge, you’ll get one eventually.

Leon was great this year. You’ll have people on here questioning his endurance, but let me tell you, that wasn’t the problem. The problem, as I saw it, was as he got better, the other teams would work to negate him. A more experienced player in the NHL would try different tricks in order to remain effective. He’s basically a rookie, so he doesn’t have that experience at this level to change it up on the world’s best d-men. A good off season, some good training and watch out NHL! I also think par of the season was sacrificed to some measure to give him experience on the wing. Can’t have too much of a good thing!

4. dustrock says:

This RE was 10/10.

Also love the set-up for the Dave Clark joke. Well played.

If I had a gun to my head, probably my favorite Oiler.

LT – also like the fact he had a pretty good Corgi at his age against the toughs, even though his scoring obviously dropped in the 2nd half.

I’m sure Hall has something to do with that, but Draisaitl just seems like a great possession player. McLellan is going to use the shit out of him.

5. SudburyOil says:

Awesome song choice, LT, particularly going with the live version. Such good keyboards! I caught Blue Rodeo at the Butterdome in the early 90s, and it must have been for their Casino tour. I remember being blown away the sheer energy of the performance. Thanks for bringing back good memories!

6. jonrmcleod says:

dustrock: If I had a gun to my head, probably my favorite Oiler.

Who’s your favourite Oiler when a gun isn’t to your head?

7. Bar_Qu says:

jonrmcleod: Who’s your favourite Oiler when a gun isn’t to your head?

Fred Brathwaite

8. Gret99zky says:

It will likely arrive with more confidence/experience but I would like to see more edge to his game.

His neighbours say, “He’s such a NICE young man, so well mannered.” His opponents as well.

Wins a face-off and apologizes.

Waiting for ass hair.

9. Skeeziks says:

LT, one point you raise relates to Leon’s back checking and I agree totally. There were numerous times when I was amazed by his tenacity working low in his own zone and when he got the puck he made good choices. He did not turn the puck over but rather he either skated the puck out or made an intelligent pass to allow a safe exit.

What impressed me was that he did this on a constant basis, particularly for a rookie. If he can maintain his offensive results and play big in the defensive zone he will be gold. I expect that with his determination he will continue to develop and mature into an extremely valuable centre who can play the wing in the top six whenever needed.

10. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LT,

Your RE has him playing half a season. I’m assuming you were thinking second half.

His post AS boxcars are approximately in line with your RE points pace, though weighted a little more heavily to the goals side of the equation.

So his “poor” post AS performance is actually a reasonable performance, to be married to an exceptional first half.

MUSIC!

11. LMHF#1 says:

There were nights where Leon did things I had no idea he was capable of. Watching him break away from Kane and Toews from a standstill is something I’ll always have in my mind when he’s mentioned. He can just fire the puck too.

We always need to remember how late he started the game, and how new he is to quality hockey. If he can stay healthy and on the track he’s been on, he should be able to put together whole seasons like the first half.

12. JimmyV1965 says:

Leon looked tired to me as the season wore on. That happens to most rookies though, although he’s not technically a rookie. And he’s played an awful lot of hockey. He went to the Memorial Cup and then he apparently worked his butt off in the summer. Think the big man needs some rest. Love his game though his passing is sublime and with his wingspan he protects the puck so well. Hes going to be a beast once he gains his man strength.

13. square_wheels says:

Blue Rodeo – FUCK YES !!!!

Looking forward to this RE:Series for the music alone……perfect band choice for this season.

14. BONE207 says:

Another great LT-ism: with a strick the size of a tree
    You are a poet sir but I take exception with the remark that the Hockey Gods “gifted us Injuries”. That borders upon sadism. Let’s hope the next season we aren’t the favored child around the NHL Christmas tree.

15. speeds says:

LT (and everyone):

Would a lottery win and the Oilers drafting Matthews make Draisaitl potentially available via trade in your mind, if for example Draisaitl could bring back a better D than RNH?

16. Hockey Buddha says:

BONE207,

LT’s meaning is–I think–for Leon it was a bit of a gift. It allowed him to play in the NHL. Leon certainly proved he could play in this league. He now needs to develop the stamina and consistency for an 82 game season. Amazing hockey player though.

17. Fog of Warts says:

Jethro Tull: Soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent, or covered in shit?

I might have worded that “streaked in shit” so as not to give the impression I go “all in” on my personal hygiene. My pre-apocalyptic environmentalism is not quite up to that impressive standard of waste nut, want not.

18. LMHF#1 says:

speeds:
    LT (and everyone):

I don’t think you should go that route unless someone offers you a big-time #1, and I don’t see them doing that.

Leon is a harder type of player to find due to his combination of size, skill and smarts. He reminds me of when they had Arnott. You spend the next 10 years looking for that guy if you move him.

19. RJ2016 says:

I wouldn’t move him.

Not just because he’s got a great combo of size and skill, but because he’s on an ELC, so his $AAV has extreme value.

speeds:
    LT (and everyone):

20. vinotintazo says:

Draisaitl >>>>>>> Bennett.

21. Stelio Kontos says:

Just found out Kobe put up 60 in his final game. I hate that guy soooo much. Still remember him beating my suns in the playoffs, while simultaneously being the biggest asswipe in sports.

22. Jethro Tull says:

Fog of Warts: I might have worded that “streaked in shit” so as not to give the impression I go “all in” on my personal hygiene.My pre-apocalyptic environmentalism is not quite up to that impressive standard of waste nut, want not.

I work in the pulp industry, so I fully endorse your approach.

23. Jethro Tull says:

Stelio Kontos:

He’s up against Michael Schumacher (asswipe on the track, gentleman off it). Any more nominations?

24. digger50 says:

“Nugent-Hopkins and Connor McDavid are going to be #1 and #2 centremen in our organization for a long, long time, they’re that talented and that good. Not that Leon isn’t… But career-wise, he might love to be on one of their wings ”

WOW, how things change. I loved Drai in camp and thought he played better than Connor but was also lost in his shadow. Drai in his first 30 games, if he develops that consistency watch out.

And thus we may end up with perhaps Nuge would like to play on one of the wings?? How did that happen?? I believe Nuge will break out next season and these three quality centermen is a great problem to have for a change; and I cross my fingers we have all three centers going forward.

25. The Hermit says:

Jethro Tull: I work in the pulp industry, so I fully endorse your approach.

So you’re a member of the print media? 🙂

26. RexLibris says:

As I recall he received a really nasty cross check right in the ribs, no call of course, and struggled to the bench.

From that game on until around the trade deadline (if I’m mis-remembering things here, please correct me) his backhand all but disappeared, his skating looked more laboured, and his shot was weaker. He wasn’t as strong along the boards either.

All of these things could be directly related to a rib issue as you draw a great deal of the strength required for any of them from your core and your ability to leverage the muscles on either side as you twist and move.

Be that as it may, Jen LC rails on about how every scorer in the league is streaky and Draisaitl’s 0.71 ppg pace in his 2nd season, and arguably what we could consider his rookie season, is phenomenal.

For those of you following at home, Sam Bennett registered a 0.47 ppg pace in his rookie season this year. He got better shelter and played with a far superior defense than Draisaitl.

Draisaitl’s shooting percentage was 14.3%
    Bennett’s was 13.2%

So if we want to harp on Draisaitl’s poor second half, let’s keep it in context.

27. Jethro Tull says:

RexLibris: let’s keep it in context.

Bro, do you even internet?

28. RexLibris says:

Gret99zky: His neighbours say, “He’s such a NICE young man, so well mannered.”

It’ll come. I think his intensity is there, we just don’t see it because he is working so hard to control the game.

I have a sneaking suspicion that when he has his first fight his opponent is going to come to a hasty realization regarding the extent of his reach and his center of gravity.

speeds:
    LT (and everyone):

The Oilers are trading the pick if it is first overall. They will be encouraged to by Bettman and the Matthews’ camp.

Bettman has All-Star weekends, NHL Entry Draft, future World Cup of Hockey games to offer (or deny) Katz to induce him to make a hockey trade for a defensemen.

Matthews isn’t coming to Edmonton. It just isn’t happening. They will let the OIlers keep Laine, if the Oilers win the 2nd lottery.

30. Centre of attention says:

godot10: The Oilers are trading the pick if it is first overall.They will be encouraged to by Bettman and the Matthews’ camp.

Matthews isn’t coming to Edmonton.It just isn’t happening.They will let the OIlers keep Laine, if the Oilers win the 2nd lottery.

Centre of attention: This is ridiculous. I think your giving Bettman way too much credit. They will be mad but the punishment will be for the Leafs or Columbus to worry about. The Oilers will get a defenseman without trading Matthews, if they do in fact win the lottery.

McDavid meant that the Katz had to clean house, or the league (and McDavid’s team) would have stepped in behind the scenes with “suggestionis” It didn’t appear that in that instance Katz had to be told to dump his buddies Lowe and MacT.

If the Oilers win the 1st lottery, Bettman will suggest to Katz that it is the OIlers’ best interest to make a hockey trade. I doubt Matthews wants to play behind McDavid.

32. russ99 says:

I like Draisaitl at wing rather than center until he fills out and we have a more balanced veteran roster for a lot of reasons:

1) I’m so done with this club rushing young players into roles they can’t handle. You could say that about Drai in the second half. He did well, but he need to do well, still be able to score/assist and not wear himself down to a nub.

Case in point, if we don’t win the lottery, I really like Laine, but under no means should he be playing in Edmonton come September.

1A) Leon was much more effective at wing, since he could trail the play and not get bogged down with a bigger tougher opposing defender in the magic box all the time

1B) Leon played well in the D-zone but if paired with RNH (the vastly better 2-way center), it’s better for Draisaitl both in the D-zone and on the breakout.

2) The scoring lines are better when they’re not anchored down with a less-skilled big who’s there just so we can cycle the puck and do nothing with it vs. the big West teams a few more times per sortie.

3) It’s not what’s better for the player at this stage of his development going into the vital 2nd year where players need to learn to adapt. Somehow, McDavid may be one of the rare players exempt from this…

Along with rushing Laine if we draft him, it’s all just an excuse to run with unicorns, which is not how we turn the club into a playoff team next year. Obviously defense needs to be fixed, but that’s not just the defensemen.

33. square_wheels says:

godot10,

100% spot on. I speculated a while back that Mathews’ camp may take the Lindros approach if the Oilers indicate he’s going to be their pick. Although it would be quietly through his agent and possibly Bettman, not in the public domain ala Lindros.

To be fair, I don’t think the payday he can generate is nearly as high if he plays behind McD, so if he was my son/client I would be doing the same.

It’s hard to wish the Oilers on anyone until we see results that matter.

34. speeds says:

godot10: The OIlers won’t see an All-Star game in Edmonton, or an entry draft, or a World Cup game.

If the Oilers win the 1st lottery, Bettman will suggest to Katz that it is the OIlers’ best interest to make a hockey trade.I doubt Matthews wants to play behind McDavid.

Any evidence that this is the case?

35. speeds says:

square_wheels:
    godot10,

100% spot on.I speculated a while back that Mathews’ camp may take the Lindros approach if the Oilers indicate he’s going to be their pick. Although it would be quietly through his agent and possibly Bettman, not in the public domain ala Lindros.

I guess I’d have to double check the rules for a guy in Matthews’s situation, but European draftees normally have their rights held for 4 years. Would he really play in Europe for 4 years just to avoid playing in Edmonton, even if he didn’t really want to?

36. square_wheels says:

speeds,

I dont think the league and his agent take it to that….and besides, the what-if’s for this to be a real scenario are plenty.

I’d be more interested in keeping Mr Orr happy in regards to our 2 superstar clients that he rep’s. I’ve always felt that Orr’s happy friendly demeanor is masking the vicious competitor he truly was….and what he is really like to negotiate with. Suspect Chia know’s the aura this man carries, he is the last agent I want to piss off.

37. speeds says:

square_wheels,

I can concoct any number of elaborate scenarios, but what reason is there to believe them to be true?

38. RJ2016 says:

Who said play behind McDavid? Maybe he plays with McDavid. Or beside Draisatl.

Think Sharks with 4 centres in top 6. That’d be my pitch.

square_wheels:
    godot10,

It’s hard to wish the Oilers on anyone until we see results that matter.

39. Water Fire says:

speeds:
    LT (and everyone):

It does but I think they like his size too much and would rather have him on wing than gone. RNH and Eberle will go before Leon and Hall because they lack physicality. Good players but a light game. Moving Nuge would only happen if they could sign Backes or somebody to play toughs with Hall or Pouliot.

40. vinotintazo says:

godot10: I doubt Matthews wants to play behind McDavid.

because Malkin playing behind crosby has been a failure…?

both making around 9M…

41. Russian Rocket says:

If Leon came to the team fast and explosive, which I think most who watched the games noticed, then it’s on the oilers and their conditioning coaches to keep that up throughout the season.

Being near the worst in man games lost the last five years also validates the lack of ability for the conditioning coaches to do their job.

I know it’s one of the most demanding leagues in the world, but other teams are having success in reducing man games lost, while it continually seems to e out of the oilers grasp.

42. Centre of attention says:

speeds: Any evidence that this is the case?

We win the pick, we make the pick.

43. square_wheels says:

Centre of attention,

Strategy planning and non-technical risk is a big part of my job……….I am only voicing my opinion, everybody relax.

But if you don’t think player agents close a door behind them in Chia’s office and say we will be a ROYAL pain in your ass if our client has to play here because our marketing plan for him involves him being in a major US market…..then you probably haven’t been in the room when deals involving 8 figures and above are negotiated.

Hockey is a business, Auston needs his own team or he is leaving 10’s of M’s on the table for 8 years.

See – Stamkos, Steven.

Just my 2 bits.

44. monsterbater says:

Was doing some research and Matthews and stumbled on this pile of hot garbage

“This kid has the potential to make Connor McDavid look ordinary and become the leading light of both an NHL team and his country for a generation.”

Wow…. just wow

45. dustrock says:

Centre of attention: No, there is not. It is pure conjecture on his part. This isn’t the 90’s and Matthews is not Lindros.

We win the pick, we make the pick.

Porzingis and his camp had very real concerns about going to Philly.

46. monsterbater says:

square_wheels,

Beyond sponsorships though he will make the same max salary no matter where he plays the first 3 years of his career. Why not play with the player who may be the best player in the world within 12 months for your first 3 years? insanely boost your value further and force the Oilers to trade you as an RFA because some team will sign you to an offer sheet around $10M/yr because of how many points you put up together.

47. Centre of attention says:

dustrock: Well, I was just talking yesterday about the Philly 76ers tanking the last few years, and how Kristaps Porzingis’ camp specifically told Philly he would not be interviewing with them, he would not be working out for them, and do not even think of drafting him, because he will not report.

Porzingis and his camp had very real concerns about going to Philly.

I don’t take the possibility of Matthews refusing to report seriously at all.

48. dustrock says:

Centre of attention: I watched an interview the other day where Matthews admitted he knew he was going to Canada. He said he would be honored to play for ANY NHL team. Obviously its his “dream” to play in Arizona or the states, but McDavids “dream” was to play in Toronto and here we are.

I don’t take the possibility of Matthews refusing to report seriously at all.

Yes, because obviously what he says publicly is verbatim what he says privately. Until he’s drafted by Edmonton.

49. square_wheels says:

monsterbater,

The Pat Brisson hype machine………the unorthodox “he wants to prove he can play against men” trip to the Swiss League”. We have our mega star and I want a FINN god dammit.

When you are evaluating any business venture, there are risks that are unlikely but have enormous consequences if they occur – that doesn’t mean you don’t pursue them, it just means you have to be prepared when they don’t work as planned. Edmonton is not a place I could see Brisson wanting his client – yes, purely speculation and conjecture but an very possible scenario.

A player like Matthew’s just feels different to me. He has the Jerry McGuire super agent, he’s not Canadian, there is a risk with drafting him and the relationship with him and his agent when you consider we have a “generational” Canadian superstar already….as well as Hall, Leon, Nuge and Ebs etc.. Where does his padded stats come from then ? How does this managements track record of putting young stars in positions to succeed enable them to market their client ?

Agents want 2 things for their young mega star players – other talented players to elevate them and teams that win consistently so the hype machine is fed enabling massive marketing opportunities.

Brisson is the BSD of agents because his group includes guys that win all the time and get mega $$$ outside of playing.

50. square_wheels says:

dustrock,

Its not the player you worry about….its the agent.

Bohologo: Am I mistaken that the NHL Commissioner works for the owners? Bettman telling Katz what to do strikes me as similar to me telling my boss(es) what to do.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Katz is one of 30. The other owners are already pissed at the Oilers being rewarded for incompetence. Bettman controls the location of desirable lucrative high profile events like the All-Star Game, the entry draft, and the World Cup of Hockey.

Matthews is NOT going to be an Oiler. If the ping pong balls fall the OIlers way again, they will make a hockey trade.

McDavid needs defensemen much more than he needs Matthews. The Oilers don’t need another 19-year old forward.

For example:

Trade Matthews to Columbus for their 1st and Savard. Trade the Columbus 1st plus something for Hamonic. Matthews becomes Hamonic and Savard. And then go make another trade for Vatanen. And the Oilers are in business.

52. vinotintazo says:

Do ppl seriously believe that Mathews will refuse to play here? well even if it was true (I’m 100% is false) who cares, trade down to #2 and grab Laine lol!

53. Centre of attention says:

dustrock: Yes, because obviously what he says publicly is verbatim what he says privately.Until he’s drafted by Edmonton.

54. Centre of attention says:

vinotintazo:

this.

55. square_wheels says:

monsterbater,

Great point, that could be a scenario him and Brisson agree on. But if we ice this D again, or anything even close to it, his stats are not going to help him swing golf clubs in April for 3 years.

Chia could swing a deal where Leon or Nuge goes and we sign a 3C and shelter Matthews.

But the D, oh sweet baby jesus, just fix the D. We have 97, thats enough for me.

56. square_wheels says:

godot10,

Centre of attention: this.

NO THIS

FIX THE FUCKING D CHIA is what this summer is about.

57. dustrock says:

Centre of attention: He seems like a good kid with his head on straight. It’s in his best financial and career interests to report to whichever team drafts him. Canadian or not.

I’m not saying there’s even smoke, let alone fire, I just think warning bells are going off for the Matthews crew. Just like we all knew Chiarelli and McLellan were hired after we won the lottery.

It also wouldn’t shock me if Bettman was making sure he doesn’t go to Edmonton. We had the Board of Governors in the NBA petitioning Silver to get the Philly GM fired because he was making a mockery of the sport.

58. monsterbater says:

godot10,

It would depend where columbus would end up, and i like savard, but he is not enough of a throw in to swap picks IMO. they would have to add something more like a boone jenner and a pick.

What did Lindros go for? More along those lines even though Lindros was the superior prospect at the time.

59. John Chambers says:

Regarding Draisaitl – in terms of most valuable players to the organization, he shot ahead more than anybody from where I would’ve pegged them back in September.

In JC’s opinion, the Most Valuable Oilers (Sept ranking):
    9) Davidson
    10) Pouliot
    11) Reinhart (9)
    12) Maroon
    13) Yakupov (8)

60. Gret99zky says:

RexLibris: Those are often the guys who have their enemies stashed in a deep freeze in their garage.

That will give Leon the motivation he needs to make them pay.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYV5f0Aqo4w

61. monsterbater says:

square_wheels,

totally agree with you here, the D is the priority, but it can be fixed in multiple ways as you suggested.

i just think that if Chia is thinking long term, having matthews for those 3 years can set the team up for 15. If matthews agreed to the scenario i hypothesized, Chia would be in a position where he could trade him for a monster package, or sit and wait on a team that is willing to cough up the 4 1st rounders. 4 additional 1st rounders is huge for a team that should hopefully be competing for stanleys in that time. They can be traded for rentals in key years, or kept to help stock the shelves for when the halls, drais, eberles etcs of the world come off their ELCs.

It’s totally pie in the sky thinking, but its all about the long con.

62. RexLibris says:

Gret99zky: Someone needs to borrow his brand new 1978 Camero Z28, trash it, and paint “Die Edmonton, Calgary Kills & Anaheim Rules” on it’s wrecked remains for him to find.

That will give Leon the motivation he needs to make them pay.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYV5f0Aqo4w

I was thinking more like a John Wick scenario.

63. Truth says:

The only two reasons I could see Mathews not wanting to play with the Oilers is because he does not like winning, or he does not want to make millions of dollars more than he would if he didn’t win multiple cups prior to becoming a FA.

Other than that, it’s totally bogus. “I, as one of best upcoming prospects in the world, do not want to play with a 20 yr old generational talent.” Ok.

64. Adam Wu says:

Matthews refusing to report if drafted by Edmonton would be akin to Sidney Crosby refusing to report if drafted by Pittsburgh because the team sucked for so many years in a row, and he would have to share the spotlight with Malkin.

The NHL “forcing” Edmonton to trade the pick would be akin to the NHL forcing Pittsburgh to trade away the Crosby pick because they had been too terrible and incompetent for too long, and had squandered too many high draft picks (and were even incompetent enough to spend a 1OV on a goaltender).

65. Jethro Tull says:

Tin foil hat time! Early this year, just like spring!

66. Drew says:

square_wheels:
    monsterbater,

I just can not get on board a large portion of this. I am not sure the fact he is not Canadian increases the chances he pulls a Lindros (see what I did there).

We can just as easily postulate that there is a huge attraction playing with McDavid to start his career inflating his counting totals and then getting a max contract when the Oilers have to trade him to the highest bidder with the largest bank account.

67. Marc says:

speeds:
    LT (and everyone):

Generational players like McDavid aside, even the most talented prospects take two to three years to become effective NHL players, and often a year or two more to consistently drive possession.

I’ve sat through year after year of shitty, shitty hockey watching Hall, Eberle, Nuge and Drai take their lumps and learn how to be an effective NHL hockey player. Now that they are finally there, the last thing I want to see is them replaced by someone who still has to go through that process.

68. Tapdog says:

godot10: Katz is one of 30.The other owners are already pissed at the Oilers being rewarded for incompetence. Bettman controls the location of desirable lucrative high profile events like the All-Star Game, the entry draft, and the World Cup of Hockey.

Matthews is NOT going to be an Oiler.If the ping pong balls fall the OIlers way again, they will make a hockey trade.

McDavid needs defensemen much more than he needs Matthews.The Oilers don’t need another 19-year old forward.

For example:

Trade Matthews to Columbus for their 1st and Savard.Trade the Columbus 1st plus something for Hamonic.Matthews becomes Hamonic and Savard.And then go make another trade for Vatanen.And the Oilers are in business.

A 94th pick in 2009 and the potentially #4 over all does not equate to a first overall pick such as Matthews.

More like a #4 plus the equivalent of another #5-6 overall pick and it would get worse for Clb if they got pushed back further with the lottery.

I like Savard too but there would have to be far more in that deal for Chia to say yes.

69. speeds says:

Marc: I’d rather trade the pick than either Drai or RNH. At some point you have to start making decisions based on the present and not the future.

I understand that sentiment. At the same time, the “at some point” might be after you’ve locked up a 2nd dominant C.

70. Marc says:

speeds: I understand that sentiment.At the same time, the “at some point” might be directly after you’ve locked up a 2nd dominant C.

We can be almost certain though, that he won’t be better than either next season, and probably not the season after that either.

Throwing away two seasons in which we’ll be paying one of the best players in the entire world $3.75M for the POSSIBILITY that Mathews might be better than RNH or Drai in the years that follow seems like absolute madness to me.

71. Professor Q says:

Adam Wu:

72. Professor Q says:

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Have you seen those emails? It could get tricky and shady with all those backroom deals. Plus, the league owns a team. That increases what they might do, potentially…

73. vinotintazo says:

square_wheels: NO THIS

FIX THE FUCKING D CHIA is what this summer is about.

he will fix it, lots of options.

Oil picking top 3?
    ->>>> take the player, and trade other picks + yak/pou/anyonebutMcJesus, and sign UFA Demers.

Oil pickiing out of 3?
    ->>>> trade it for hamonic/other top pair D + add anything if necessary. and sign UFA Demers.

In Chia we trust.

It is never going to get to the point where Matthews has to do anything but smile. People understand pubic relations these days.

Lowe and MacT were “disappeared” quickly last year. McDavid didn’t have to do anything but smile.

A hockey trade, or two, or three will be made. The Oilers will have one or two shiny new D. In a few months, an All-Star weekend in Edmonton will be announced.

75. Jethro Tull says:

Professor Q: Except the league owns Arizona, so times have changed and are a bit tricky now. Although who knows if they’d settle for the other hometown boy in Tkatchuk…

I don’t think the league owns the Coyotes.

76. Professor Q says:

Jethro Tull,

They do not, I’m sorry. Apparently I am a year and a half behind the times. I still think they have ties to and interests in Arizona, however.

I shall quit my crazy rambling. :p

77. speeds says:

Marc: The thing is that we don’t know at this stage whether Mathews will be better than RNH or Drai. He might be at some point, but he also might not.

“He might be at some point” is overstating the likelihood that he won’t be better, IMO. Without question, it’s not a certainty, but if you’re gambling on who has the better career now, you wouldn’t take Matthews?

As for next year, ok, sure, maybe (maybe not, wouldn’t be unheard of for a #1 pick that’s been talked about fairly highly to perform highly), but that’s only one part of the team, you improve the D moving a different C, “throwing away” is an exaggeration. Does it somewhat reduce the quality of the team in year one or two? Maybe, maybe not, depends on other moves as well.

But it’s certainly possible that a slight reduction in team quality in years one and/or two is worth it to open up an improved long term window of contention.

78. commonfan14 says:

He needs to be right handed.

He is. They all are.

It’s madness.

79. G Money says:

Ah, Leon Draisaitl. What a player.

Those numbers, >2 p/60 EV, >3 p/60 on the PP, >50% Corsi.

Goddamn!

RexLibris: One thing I feel I should add to this is I believe Draisaitl suffered a rib injury (perhaps no more than a bruise, but that isn’t anything to sneeze at, no joke intended) somewhere around the All-Star break.

Yep, that was the Columbus game. Most of his numbers other than scoring took a mild (not a huge) dive after the CBJ game.

I’m pretty sure that rib injury was a part.

I think the fact that teams were starting to focus and gameplan him also played a part.

I don’t believe fatigue was the issue.

I tested the fatigue idea here: http://www.beerleagueheroes.com/curious-case-leon-draisaitl/

For the tl;dr folks, basically I hypothesized that if Drai was in a fatigued state, it would show over the course of the game.

Long term chronic fatigue or overtraining in my experience – done it lots! – has a mild effect at the start of the game, but the real effect is in the later stages, where you crater sooner and harder than those around you.

So I compared his pre and post CBJ ‘course of game’ shot attempts (which I call … ahem … Coursi) to see if there was a falling-off effect.

There wasn’t.

He was visibly (slightly) less effective from the start of the game to the end, but it didn’t appreciably change over the course of the game.

That, together with the fact that his numbers didn’t really improve after the all star break (if it was fatigue, there should have been a big jump IMO after that big rest), suggests to me that it was not fatigue.

The ‘out of the game’ numbers are sky high of course, but another thing hampering the Oilers this year I believe is we likely had a number of players (RNH and Drai I believe) both impacted by lingering injuries or illness, even while they were playing.

80. Snowman says:

Bohologo,

I agree the most compelling argument against a conspiracy theory is that the organization said to be in charge of the conspiracy, more often than not, proves themselves incompetent.

The second most compelling argument against it is that #97 is an Oiler. If there was a year for conspiracy it was last year.

81. Adam Wu says:

Well, the interesting thing is that, whatever pick the Oilers end up with, a hockey trade involving the pick plus other pieces, with the Oilers ending up with two shiny new D, could still happen, without the need for any conspiracies whatsoever.

82. square_wheels says:

Adam Wu,

Yes. Let’s hope that happens, I don’t want a Brisson client when I’ve got McD to pay $10M/yr……I want balance.

83. stevezie says:

I didn’t know a Blue Rodeo solo could get that dirty.

84. PunjabiOil says:

Jesus, what kind of nonsense is this.

Very disappointing, since you generally post quality content here.

There is absolutely no evidence of these implausible conspiracy theories. Just like the masses suggested that the NHL (and Ernst & Young LLP – a global powerhouse firm whose entire existence would be in jeopardy if found in fault) would conspire to rig the lottery so that McDavid doesn’t edn up in Edmonton.

Matthews likely won’t be an Oiler, but not for the reasons you think. It will be because the Oilers have only a 13.5% chance of drafting him.

If the Oilers win, they will draft him.

85. Stelio Kontos says:

Jethro Tull: Kob

That’s the thing. He might be the hardest working athlete of all time. As far as his personality, there have been a few things off the court that are disconcerting (wink). Maybe he should be a candidate for the Masterton.

86. JimmyV1965 says:

godot10,

For example:

Ya. Don’t think we will be doing that.