RE 15-16 BENOIT POULIOT: BETTER OFF AS WE ARE

Have you ever had a conversation with an Oilers fan about Benoit Pouliot? A lot of people who go watch this team are not enamored with him. Me? I think he is a helluva winger, an actual NHL player and someone fans should hope is around opening night. Benoit Pouliot is good. Honest. (Better Off As We Are).

BENOIT POULIOT 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.79 (6th among regular NYR forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.10 (8th among regular NYR forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 10th toughest among regular forwards (3rd line opp)
  • Qual Team: 10th best teammates among regular forwards (3line linemates)
  • Corsi Rel: 7.3 (4th best among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 55.1
  • Corsi for % Rel 5×5: +3.4
  • Zone Start: 57.8% (6th easiest among regular forwards)
  • Zone Finish: 51.7% (3rd best among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 141/10.64%
  • Boxcars: 80GP, 15-21-36 (.45 point-per-game)

BENOIT POULIOT 14-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.04 (2nd among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.62 (4th among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 3rd toughest among regular forwards (1st line opp)
  • Qual Team: 4th best teammates among regular forwards (2line linemates)
  • Corsi Rel: 6.6
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 50.4
  • Zone Start: 61.0%
  • Zone Finish: 54.6%
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 105/18.1%
  • Boxcars: 58GP, 19-15-34 .586

BENOIT POULIOT 15-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.05 (4th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.75 (6th among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 51.0
  • Qual Comp: 6th toughest among regular forwards (2nd line opp)
  • Qual Team: 5th best teammates among regular forwards (2nd line linemates)
  • Corsi Rel: 7.9
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 109/12.8%
  • Boxcars: 55GP, 14-22-36

WAR ON ICE PLAYER CHARTS

war on ice sledgehammer

Pouliot is in with the entire group we are discussing early this year. The good forwards played the toughest opposition, received good blue bubbles (mostly) and posted offense around 2.00 per 60 at 5×5. The forwards are good.

RE 15-16: 65GP, 17-23-40 .615

ACTUAL 15-16: 55GP, 14-22-36 .655

1. Why don’t people like him? The contract, the offensive zone penalties.
  2. Does he take a lot more than he draws? No. He took 14 penalties, drew 12. He also had 26 takeaways, and a lot of those were in the offensive zone (by my memory).
  3. Who led in takeaways? Hall. He had 60. Lordy.
  4. People sure don’t like him. Meh. Pouliot is a good, veteran NHL player. Whatever else that bothers people about him probably isn’t going to help us learn more about the game and how he helps teams win. And they have with Pouliot, Edmonton will too.
  5. What is he? He’s a throwback, a lot of his game would fit right into the olden days. He’s a more complete player than he was as a kid and yet you can also see why the Wild took him No. 4 overall. He’s big and fast—and good! Edmonton hasn’t had many of those men in their prime in the last many years.
  6. What do you like about him? Aside from legit skill? He is a difficult player to succeed against. Pouliot has size and good speed, but his real appeal (for me) is that he is a great impediment. He is like a rain delay. The opposition is behind their net, getting their next sortie set. Pass comes from behind the net to right defender, and his clear lane to the center is interrupted as Pouliot gets his stick on the puck and it glances into the neutral zone. Or the RD bobbles the puck and BP is on him like an oversized stoat. He is frustrating, like trying to put on your coat with one of the sleeves inside out. Damned irritating.
  7. Pouliot needs to  be meaner. No, Pouliot needs to be Pouliot. When people say “the Oilers need a big guy for the skill lines” a player like Pouliot is a very nice fit. You can pretend that J-F Jacques will work this time but it won’t work out at all. Skill players are out there to skill. You can’t have mutts with skill, Pat Quinn’s lost season was (hopefully) the ultimate example that ends the enforcer playing with skill experiments.
  8. Anything earth shattering from his stats? His 36 points ties his career high, but in fewer number of games than last time. New career high in assists.
  9. How good is he? A very good NHL forward. Hockey-reference has his best comp after nine years as Steve Konowalchuk and that is a nice player.
  10. Do you think he is pricey? Not really. $4 million for a top 6F is decent value. He was on pace for 54 points over 82 games. That is a nice total.
  11. Who did he play well with? Pouliot is a plug and play veteran, having had success with all centers. He clearly enjoyed his time with McDavid (2.94/60 5×5; 53.6 percent Corsi for percentage) but performed well with Nuge (1.60/60 5×5; 49.1 percent Corsi for percentage) as well—although the offense was a little shy. Corsica has him doing well with multiple linemates.
  12. He gets injured a lot. Pouliot plays a rugged style, and his injuries are not wimpy little maladies. Shoulder, broken foot, on it goes. He is a tougher player than some believe.
  13. Maroon took his job, it is over. WHY do people see 15 games of anything and declare it worthy? Everything the numbers tell us suggest sample size is a big deal. I do like Patrick Maroon, but the idea that Pouliot has to go because of Maroon’s presence on the roster is ridiculous.
  14. You are wrong, Maroon took his job. Will Pouliot be traded? He could be dealt, but I would use him on any of the three lines. He can run with McDavid, Nuge and the RHC Edmonton will no doubt bring in to replace Letestu (who moves to 4line).
  15. Who will they bring in? Free agent? I don’t think they can afford Steven Stamkos or David Backes, and  the list after that lacks flair. Maybe we see a trade.
  16. Like? Andrew Shaw in Chicago is RFA and they have some issues, maybe they can make a deal. Ryan Strome had a poor year but is clearly talented (50 points in 2014-15). Calle Jarnkrok in Nashville is probably going to get a raise, maybe he shakes loose. Chiarelli needs to knock on doors, but a righty C with offensive talent should be on the list—and that will benefit Pouliot or Maroon (whoever is on the 3line).
  17. What about the Condors? What about the Condors?
  18. Why this song? I think the lyric is about both taking risks and staying in your place, or the decision to stay or go. For me, the Oilers are in risk mode this summer, but Pouliot is a rock they can lean on. It’s also a little bit about not listening to people who tell you not to try or push for something better, and do it for reasons that are not in your best interest. There are people in the world like that, who knows how many people they hold back. God what a great song.

86 Responses to "RE 15-16 BENOIT POULIOT: BETTER OFF AS WE ARE"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

I am in accord with the fella [the travel guy] that appears on your show on Fridays, that Pouliot is likely, or not unlikely, off to Anaheim as a key part of a trade for a RHD.
    This will complete the Maroon trade.
    And hopefully make the Oilers stronger.

2. Richard S.S. says:

What is his value in a trade? The reason I ask is simple. If a Player is worth more staying, keep him and realize he’s very good value. If that Player has more value in a trade, then by all means trade him. This works for all Players.

3. Snowman says:

I hope Pou stays with an Oiler. He’s a guy who can play up and down the lineup. Love him on the forecheck. He finishes pretty decently. I don’t mind the contract at all and he’s productive. He’s a useful NHLer and, unless my eyes and the standings are mistaken, the Oilers don’t have enough of those.

Was happy when they got him. Will be sad if he goes..

4. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide

Love your podcasts. Listening to a week’s worth of shows in one twelve-hour work shift is amazing. You’re starting to sound like family – that scary younger brother. Keep up the good work.

5. Kepler62 says:

D. Strome – McDavid – R. Strome

Maroon – Nuge – Laine

Pouliot – Drai – Yak

Hendricks – Letestu – Pak

Korpi/Lander – JJ, B.Yak for callups

Klefbom – Hamonic

Sekera – Savard

Davidson – Fayne/Gryba

Nurse, Reinhart, Oesterle, Musil for callups. Buyout Ference or trade Fayne.

Richard S.S.:
    Lowetide

Love your podcasts.Listening to a week’s worth of shows in one twelve-hour work shift is amazing.You’re starting to sound like family – that scary younger brother.Keep up the good work.

Haha. Glad you are enjoying them!

For McDavid to play to his strengths, Pouliot is the BEST option on LW…better than Hall, because Pouliot won’t hog the puck, and better than Maroon, because Pouliot can skate and make plays on the rush.

Maroon is a cycle player. Asking McDavid to play a cycle game is putting restrictor plates on F1 racecars.

Actually, I like both Pouliot and Maroon, and would switch them up based on the matchup, but if one wants to force the issue and play McDavid to his strengths, Pouliot is the better option.

Weird thing about Pouliot is that Edmonton MSM and fans are longing for a pest.

They want Tikkanen again.

A guy who pissed off the opposition and can pot 20 goals.

A guy who can play with skill and piss everyone off on the ice.

Well, Pouliot is that guy and for his production he’s under paid.

Watch him close in games.

He constantly whacks and hacks and pisses everyone off.

Here’s some proof: https://twitter.com/Woodguy55/status/703422274704019456

I don’t get it.

Listening to some local MSM the reason they (and the coach/GM if the MSM is to be believed) is that he takes games off.

Well fuck.

If his results are that when he takes games off, then I can see everyone “wanting more”

Its like managing salesmen.

Don’t ask how often, just ask how much.

9. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Not sure anyone should be pointing fingers at one player or another for taking nights off.

To begin with, there are 82 games, nobody is going to be consistent through them all.

Secondly, this whole team struggles with consistency. Holding Pouliot to a standard that isn’t enforced more uniformly (and to be honest, pragmatically, as in don’t bench a player if he’s not at 100% on the third game of a five game road trip) then just let it be and try to get more from others in the group. As I recall it is a team sport.

Kepler62:

Not enough for Hall, but that is a very interesting scenario.

11. LadiesloveSmid says:

I trade Maroon long before I trade Pouliot. Did we see Pouliot with McDavid? Or with RNH-Eberle last season? Fits like a damn glove, he’s big, got a mean streak, stick checks and forechecks like a demon. I want another, not one less.

12. Water Fire says:

godot10:

Maroon is a cycle player.Asking McDavid to play a cycle game is putting restrictor plates on F1 racecars.

I’d like to see Pouliot and Maroon as the wingers. Pouliot I am sure given his skill can handle RW.

Maroon for space and fear and boards and goals in the O zone, Pouliot for the rush and the O zone boards. Both for push back.

Our Connor is not going to be popular with opponents. He needs linemates that don’t take crap from those about to lose. Ever.

13. spoiler says:

Not sure why anyone would be down on Pouliot. He was having a career year before he went down.

Stoats! There needs to be more stoat references on the Internet. Thank youm LT for recognizing this deficiency and correcting it.

I feel there might be a story hiding behind the reference though.

Drouin is dandy.

15. D says:

BP was clutch in the playoffs for the Rangers a couple years ago.

16. Hockey Buddha says:

Depends on where and who the Oilers draft (what position of forward, 4 of the top 5 picks look like they will be forwards 2 RWers, 2 LWers, 1 D), but I see Pouliot as possibly being expendable, even now. Maroon is a couple of years younger and cheaper than Pouliot, which is fairly significant.

I also like Maroon riding shotgun for McDavid better than Pouliot. I’m not sure if McDavid gets injured playing against the Flyers, if Maroon is on his wing, but if it did happen they’d have to mace and taser Maroon to get him out of the building. I know that much, and there is something to be said for that. That kid needs a sentinel.

Hockey Buddha:
    Depends on where and who the Oilers draft (what position of forward, 4 of the top 5 picks look like they will be forwards 2 RWers, 2 LWers, 1 D), but I see Pouliot as possibly being expendable, even now.Maroon is a couple of years younger and cheaper than Pouliot, which is fairly significant.

I also like Maroon riding shotgun for McDavid better than Pouliot.I’m not sure if McDavid gets injured playing against the Flyers, if Maroon is on his wing, but if it did happen they’d have to mace and taser Maroon to get him out of the building.I know that much, and there is something to be said for that.That kid needs a sentinel.

What on God’s green earth did Pouliot not do on the McDavid play?

18. jonrmcleod says:

Kepler62: Hall for Hamonic and Ryan Strome. Win lottery, trade down in draft to Arizona for Dylan Strome+Draft Laine. Trade Ebs for David Savard

Appears to be an elaborate plan to acquire both Stromes.

spoiler:

Stoats!There needs to be more stoat references on the Internet. Thank youm LT for recognizing this deficiency and correcting it.

I feel there might be a story hiding behind the reference though.

I’m not too proud to admit I Google stoats.

Upset that I didn’t know my North American fauna as well as I thought.

20. Stelio Kontos says:

Woodguy,

I don’t think MSM know what they want. If I had to guess it’s something like Ryan Jones mixed with Big Georges. I think the major problem they have is that you can’t knock a guy out for looking at you the wrong way anymore.

21. Stelio Kontos says:

Lowetide: What on God’s green earth did Pouliot not do on the McDavid play?

I think the plan is have Katz fund a Gestapo to police the thoughts of all opposition players. Then we also have to have two armed JTF2 soldiers on the ice at all times.

22. Dr. Taboggan says:

I love me some Poo. I am still sad we did not to get to see more of Poo & Perron play together.
    Poo RNH Perron would have been great. Alas.

Does the MSM really dislike Poo? I thought he would be the exact type of player they would love? I don’t really think he takes nights off. More likely he is playing through frequent injuries and bruises due to the type of game he plays.

23. Rondo says:

OT: Pierre Luc Dubois

Dubois scores top marks, too, on Dumont’s list of best juniors that he has coached during the past decade in the QMJHL.

“Fortunately, I’ve had the privilege — at the junior level — of being around guys like Claude Giroux and Marco Scandella and Anthony Mantha and Evgeny Svechnikov, but Pierre-Luc is just on top of all those guys,” Dumont said. “He’s just a very special player with high skill, but (also) high desire.”

24. Dr. Taboggan says:

Maroon has better upper-body strength, likely could have caught McDavid mid-fall.

25. sliderule says:

I know the msm is the devil around here but just who has been knocking Pouliot .

I listen to 1260 and Stauffer ,read the Sun sports and at times the Journal and I have not read or heard any uprising about his play.

Oh by the way our host Lowetide has to be considered part of the devil brigade msm.

Dr. Taboggan:

Haha. Okay, I will give you that one. 🙂

27. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT: so now I right click on the song, and listen to it as I read your RE

– I notice the link to the songs is not as prominent as in previous years: sign of the times, and how big-time LT has become.

– LT says: WHY do people see 15 games of anything and declare it worthy. Indeed, that is why I do not like it when you take Nurse and his first 11 games this year and project. Or anyone who pencils in Klef as the #1 LD based on 30 games this season, or Maroon for 20 games and declare him ready to be McD winger for life, or Davidson a top-4 D.

– On Pou – Yak can become the same type player: he does have that prick quality to him. Give Yak the Pou treatment, spend his $4mm on part of the D upgrade: what do I know.

28. Hockey Buddha says:

Lowetide: What on God’s green earth did Pouliot not do on the McDavid play?

He did absolutely nothing:

I like that the kid has some protection is all. Maroon’s been very effective offensively as well. I don’t dislike Pouliot, but I think Maroon is a better fit with McDavid, and Hall is a better player. He’s making a lot of money to be a third line winger.

kinger_OIL:

The videos were causing some phones to crash when coming to the site, I did it as a courtesy to those folks.

30. OF17 says:

If the Oilers start next season with Hall-Draisaitl, McDavid-Eberle, and Pouliot-Nuge as the bases for the top 3 lines, we’re going to have a good forward corps. McDavid-Eberle take the high-end offensive minutes, Hall-Draisaitl the medium minutes, and Pouliot-Nuge the PvP minutes that make it all possible.

I’m not convinced they’ll be able to keep those forward pairs intact, and if there’s a chance to trade Pouliot for Vatanen, I’d take it, but Pouliot is easily one of the more versatile players on the Oilers right now, and for that, he’s one of my favorites.

Outside of Hall/McDavid, is there another player that increases a line’s effectiveness like Pouliot does? No matter what the role, offensive or defensive, he makes the unit better. If they do trade him, they better get good value, because Pouliot is one of the glue players they don’t have enough of.

31. Richard S.S. says:

P.K. Subban is up for trade and he will be screamingly painful to acquire. I don’t think Taylor Hall plus the Oilers First will be enough. I think Peter Chiarelli must absolutely make his best push to complete the deal. He can expand it to include P.K. Subban, Montreal’s First and a Second (2016 or 2017 – for Boston) to lessen the pain. This could be a massive trade or it could be nothing.

Drouin is really good.

33. Dr. Taboggan says:

If he continues to play like this I imagine he stays in TB.

34. Dr. Taboggan says:

The Oilers have certainly been poor at drafting over the last ten odd years but they do not do themselves any favours. Pretty disappointing watching Gustafsson play tonight. I mean he is not a #1 dman but absolutely terrible asset management to let him go for nothing. Did the Oilers forget they drafted him? Hope this sort of shit is in the past.

35. flyfish1168 says:

Richard S.S.:
    P.K. Subban is up for trade and he will be screamingly painful to acquire.I don’t think Taylor Hall plus the Oilers First will be enough.Ithink Peter Chiarelli must absolutely make his best push to complete the deal.He can expand it to include P.K. Subban, Montreal’s First and a Second (2016 or 2017 – for Boston) to lessen the pain.This could be a massive trade or it could be nothing.

I would rather offer sheet Seth Jones. Sure he would like to play with his brother. PK can create to much of a CAP issues and headache.

36. MrEd says:

Keep Pouliot.

Is Laine important enough to a projected roster that we consider trading up to get him?

37. Bad Seed says:

He’s a really good dandy….

38. LadiesloveSmid says:

Hockey Buddha: He did absolutely nothing:

I like that the kid has some protection is all.Maroon’s been very effective offensively as well.I don’t dislike Pouliot, but I think Maroon is a better fit with McDavid, and Hall is a better player.He’s making a lot of money to be a third line winger.

Maroon’s getting 1.5M, Nothing wrong with paying your top 3 LWs 11.5M.

You’re not gonna get a better LW than Pouliot for a better price through FA

39. LadiesloveSmid says:

If Gustafson were signed by the oilers, he’d be one of the 9 LHD trying to make the bottom of the roster. Chicago has a strong enough top end to their D that they can throw guys like TVR(last year) and Gustafson in to develop in softie minutes. Musil or Reinhart could be playing there too

40. Aron_S says:

So good in fact that Yzerman looks like a genius for keeping his powder dry. If Yak were to ever break out like that and provide that value contract you and Willis were talking about today, I wonder if Chiarelli would get credit for it. I know he’s likely moving on, but there’s always hope (but not H.O.P.E).

Also I wanted to thank you for moving the videos to youtube. I’ve migrated to my laptop mostly, but they definitely always crashed my iPad and iPhone (and I would do this mad scramble as I tried to read more before the app would crash. The key was to continuously swipe while never removing your finger.)

41. stush18 says:

LT are you trying to give me a conniption with your prospect list!?!

Surely you mistakenly put Reinhart below brossoit and slepyshev. For the life of me I don’t understand how you mixed up paigan and Reinhart. Lol

But seriously Reinhart has the highest chance at a NHL career out of that list other than mcdavid. Even if you have him and paigan or slepyshev as similar Projections (top 4 dman or top 6 forward) Reinhart has the longer and more successful track record behind him, therefore imo should be placed higher than the others.

stush18:
    LT are you trying to give me a conniption with your prospect list!?!

As I mentioned in the preamble, my ranking values offense highly.n

43. Hockey Buddha says:

LadiesloveSmid: Maroon’s getting 1.5M, Nothing wrong with paying your top 3 LWs 11.5M.

You’re not gonna get a better LW than Pouliot for a better price through FA

Pouliot is making $4 M. That’s a lot of money for a third line winger, however you cut it. I’m alright with keeping him, especially to see how Maroon is over the course of 82 games, but Pouliot’s not on my list of untradeable players. I’d rather see that money spent on a defender to be honest.

44. Suntory Hanzo says:

LT’s Re for Druin when he comes here for Yak:

45. G Money says:

Why on earth would you trade a guy whose name can be shortened to ‘Poo’!?!

POO!

Heh heh.

Poo.

46. G Money says:

On a more serious note, keeping Poo and Maroon and Hall should mean unicorns.

UNICORN POO!

Heh heh.

Poo.

If the PP spikes with Poo next season, we could have the Poo PP.

48. Ryan says:

Anyone watching the Hawks Blues?

Veteran calls are nice.

49. OF17 says:

Hockey Buddha: Pouliot is making $4 M.That’s a lot of money for a third line winger, however you cut it.I’m alright with keeping him, especially to see how Maroon is over the course of 82 games, but Pouliot’s not on my list of untradeable players.I’d rather see that money spent on a defender to be honest.

Between Nikitin and Scrivens coming off the books, the Purcell trade, a Ference and hopefully a Korpikoski buyout coming, and the cap room the team already had, there is plenty of space to improve the roster before you need to get rid of Pouliot. I don’t think he’s on anyone’s list of untradeable players, but it’s a far cry between that and thinking he’s overpaid and not good value for this roster.

50. Ryan says:

Speaking of the Blues… Anyone else hear Stauffer today? Sounds like he had a jab for SMB and Bob Green for not knowing their own backyard. Re: Parayko.

51. MrEd says:

Wicked wrister. Head up, choosing a spot.

52. MrEd says:

Looking at 2013. Nurse will be employed full time next year or dealt.

53. rickithebear says:

Iwish people would educate themselves and look at
    The top 30, 60, 90 numbers for g, a, p at even for each forward position.
    To establish what a 1st , 2nd, 3rd line player is.

54. G Money says:

There ya go, Asia! Next season, he’s an Oiler for sure!

according to Predators, Craig Smith has a lower-body injury and won't return. was injured in first period.— Helene Elliott (@helenenothelen) 20 April 2016

55. G Money says:

If the PP spikes with Poo next season, we could have the Poo PP.

The crowd makes gun motions with their hands and yells “pew pew” for Poo on the PP!

sliderule:

I listen to 1260 and Stauffer ,read the Sun sports and at times the Journaland I have not read or heard any uprising about his play.

He gets ripped on Twitter by Tych, DVD and the other fish wrap guys often during games.

Gets mentioned as “a bad contract” too.

DVD said that on 1260

57. G Money says:

MrEd:
    Looking at 2013.Nurse will be employed full time next year or dealt.

Why? What is the connection with 2013?

Say the Oilers sign Demers for money and trade Yak and a pick (and cap room) for Vatanen, why would Nurse in the AHL be a bad or unlikely thing?

58. MrEd says:

Hands. Nice.

rickithebear:
    Iwish people would educate themselves and look at
    The top 30, 60, 90 numbers for g, a, p at even for each forward position.
    To establish what a 1st , 2nd, 3rd line player is.

60. G Money says:

rickithebear: g, a, p

By the way, in order of oldest to youngest, those are the first initials of my three sons.

Deliberate or coincidence?

You be the judge!

61. stush18 says:

Lowetide: As I mentioned in the preamble, my ranking values offense highly.n

I know it must sound like I only rag on you, but I do appreciate all the work you do. I just feel like one of the line defenders for Reinharts play and acquisition cost.

62. Acumen says:

This Colton Parayko is quickly becoming one of my favorite players the more I see him play. Unbelievable young talent, really wish he was an Oiler

63. G Money says:

Lowetide: I am too busy snorting cow brand. Nothing so far but when I sneeze it is going to be bad.

Just make sure you follow this by snorting at least 3x to 4x as much sea salt. Then squeeze 80 or so ml of distilled water up your nose for every teaspoon of salt snorted.

At that point, you’ll have the mother of all nasal rinses going!

Enough to remove the stench of 10 years of Oiler hockey?

Well no, it’s a nasal rinse, not a frackin’ miracle.

64. dustrock says:

There are games when Pouliot is pretty invisible, but that’s every single player, even McDavid.

I honestly think that the MSM guys are bitter over Pouliot being a “fancy stats” signing and so they hold him to a higher standard than any other player.

There’s also the proviso that winning solves a lot of problems and I think it’s easy to pick apart any player when times are tough, this year it’s been, in no order: Fayne, Eberle, Hall, Pouliot, Klefbom, Reinhart, Sekera, Nuge.

65. jeetz says:

I gotta say, this summer less is going to be more for Chairelli. I know everyone wants massive changes, but assuming we draft 4th-2nd, 1 big trade and 2 UFA signings are all we need.

Trade eberle for hamonic (or similar caliber trade…this one seems like it should happen this summer)
    Sign a UFA top 4 dman and a back up goalie
    Definitely do not trade the 1st round pick…this is an impact player who will not have to be protected in an expansion draft

That’s it:

Maroon McD Yak
    Pouliot RNH Hall
    Pakarenin Draisaitl 2016 1st
    Hendricks Letetsu Khaira/Kassian

Klefbom Hamonic
    Sekera UFA
    Davidson Gryba/Nurse

Talbot
    UFA

I’m not saying there aren’t more moves that can be made, but nobody is playing over their head. Plus goaltending is good, defense is greatly improved, center depth is there, FWDS have some size, grit and lots of talent.

It’s a playoff team

66. Ice Sage says:

Acumen:

He would have been rushed and mis-handled in the Oiler system. With the blues, he’s got 3 great role models.

67. MrEd says:

Go Hitchock. Such a beauty.

68. LadiesloveSmid says:

Hockey Buddha,

If Pouliot scores like a top 6 winger on the 3rd line and Maroon scores like a top 6 winger on the 2nd line, what’s the harm in keeping both at 5.5M total?

69. Acumen says:

Ice Sage,

Didn’t mean I wish we drafted him. More of the ‘damn, I like this kid. Really wish he played for my team’ variety.

I could see him becoming a big star, honestly. I wish we could give the Blues something they needed for him.

70. Kepler62 says:

Lowetide: Not enough for Hall, but that is a very interesting scenario.

I thought so too — I liked your suggestion of R. Strome as a RH centre.

What do you think would be the return if Hall and Hamonic were centre pieces? Because it sounds like just Ebs won’t get it done.

71. Kepler62 says:

jeetz:

Sign a UFA top 4 dman and a back up goalie

That’s it:

Maroon McD Yak
    Pouliot RNH Hall
    PakareninDraisaitl 2016 1st
    Hendricks Letetsu Khaira/Kassian

Klefbom Hamonic
    Sekera UFA
    Davidson Gryba/Nurse

Talbot
    UFA

It’s a playoff team

Using the pick for an expansion exempt player is key — reversed the thinking of a few friends of mine who wanted to trade it

72. fifthcartel says:

sliderule,

Yeah, Stauffer likes Pouliot. He does mention his penalties but he also said he’s played better with McDavid than Maroon has and I would agree with that.

Benoit Pouliot arguably had a better season than Rick Nash.

73. Caramel Batman says:

What a disgrace the Blackhawks–Blues game was.

The sad part is that none of it is surprising. The only way you can have officiating this bad is on purpose.

Shaw and Crawford should both be suspended for the next game. Shaw’s would be automatic if you had officials who actually called the game.

Kepler62: I thought so too — I liked your suggestion of R. Strome as a RH centre.

The problem with trading Hall for Hamonic and something good like Strome is that the odds of winning the deal is almost nil. Hamonic and Strome could be good 10s, but Hall is a King. Those face cards are tough to get.

stush18: Fair enough. I don’t think slepyshevs offense has pushed him ahead of Reinhart potential wise, or the brossoits numbers in the AHL offer better insight. And if offense were key like paigan, then bear should be higher imo.

Well my system never did give Jeff Petry his due, so there is that. 🙂

76. Hockey Buddha says:

OF17: Pouliot is a 3rd line winger only in the sense that Nuge is a 3rd line center. He can play that role very effectively, but for that matter, he can play any role 1-4 effectively. He’s an incredibly versatile winger, and if his contributions don’t match his pay check, it’s because he’s underpaid, not overpaid.

I’m not saying he’s overpaid, if he plays on the first or second line. I’m saying he makes more than I’d like to pay a third line player on the roster. He’s overpaid for that position. I don’t see him playing above Hall or supplanting Maroon, who has gelled well with McDavid. Right now, he is a third line winger on this roster. While it may be too early to anoint Maroon as McDavid’s LWer for all of next season given his history, he really seemed to be a good fit, so it’s a calculated risk that I’d be willing to take. Maroon has played like Lucic, since he arrived. I’m not sure that he can sustain that level of play is all.

Pouliot is a good player, way better than I anticipated when we acquired him, but we are going to have to give up something reasonably significant to acquire a defender in a trade. The left wing is a position of relative strength on the team . At age 29, Pouliot is a decade older than McDavid. Plus, he has more value across the league than Maroon does, and if packaged with a player like Yakupov and a pick, he should be able to fetch a pretty solid return, maybe a sorely needed defender. If the Oilers are in a position to draft either Laine or Tkachuk, Pouliot is highly expendable in my mind. Our prospect pool is also deeper at LW than at any other position. Khaira and Slepyshev are both capable of playing on the left side.

We’ll have to subtract from somewhere to fill our needs on defense. Pouliot jumps out at me as a player with some value who can be moved. I’m not particularly interested in moving Nuge, Hall, or Eberle, but some roster players will quite likely have to be moved to fill our needs on defense. We have pretty glaring needs there and a bit of a surplus of left wingers. Pouliot is the odd man out to my mind based on age and salary. That’s how I see it at any rate. And I like Pouliot. He’s been a good Oiler. I just don’t see him as a terrific fit. I value other forwards more. When I’m looking to subtract from one part of the roster to add in another, he grabs my attention more than say a player like Nuge. I also don’t get a sense that he’s one of McLellan’s favourites either, as he sometimes got into some penalty trouble at inopportune times in tight games this season.

77. MrEd says:

I said it. Hall is a king. But not an ace.

78. AsiaOil says:

Indeed it is a sign. But the true mark of an Oiler is, and always will be, the totally destroyed shoulder.

…..and Poo is fine. About a dozen guys you deal before him.

G Money:
    There ya go, Asia!Next season, he’s an Oiler for sure!

79. sliderule says:

Woodguy,

I don’t Twitter.

That’s why I wouldn’t hear the criticism.

Now I have one more reason not to Twitter.

80. Primetime says:

sliderule,

Just an example….

Mark SpectorVerified account
    ‏@SportsnetSpec
    Benoit Pouliot: $4M for three more seasons, and coach appears to have already had his fill. Another bad deal from MacT era.

81. rickithebear says:

Primetime:
    sliderule,

Just an example….

Mark SpectorVerified account
    ‏@SportsnetSpec

Rule 1: if the enemy makes a comment on how to fix our team.
    it is probably a bad idea.
    They are the fucking enemy!

Hrudey; Flames
    Cassi: Wife of CGY Asst GM.
    Ferraro: Vcr love fest.
    TSN & Sportsnet panel: work for the leafs owners.
    Dreger & Mackenzie: work for the NHL.

Spector at end of Season on 960 Sportsnet radio Calgary.
    ” ihave had enough of covering the Oilers.”

He is the Enemy!

Referencing the enemy for any point on here usually has zero value.
    Cause they want us to lose!

82. russ99 says:

He’s a decent enough player, but my issue with Pouliot is that he’s a big, but he doesn’t play like a big.

On the wall he’s adequate and he’s not an especially good net-front presence. For example he doesn’t have a Maroon, or even better, a Lucic-like skill-set.

Since his skill set is best primarily on the rush and there’s really not too much difference skill-wise between bigs and non-bigs, thus he’s not a good fit in McLellan’s systems.

We have too many (and better) players who are primarily good on the rush, so his cap room could be best used elsewhere.

Besides, McLellan’s systems are proven to win at the NHL level, while MacT’s 80s throwback ideal of 3 rush-happy scoring lines and all puck-movers on D all of which who do dirty work minimally at best are proven to put us in the top 5 of the draft.

83. monsterbater says:

It’s nice to fantasize about what the Oilers could do if they win the lottery (ie trades for D men). But let’s be honest, it’s most likely not going to happen and neither is drafting Laine or Puljujarvi.

We should be talking about what the Oilers should do between Dubois, Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, Tkachuck (no thanks) etc. That is what is most likely going to happen.

84. Hockey Buddha says:

Edmonton is Pouliot’s sixth NHL team. I just don’t understand why he is now, as an Oiler, suddenly indispensable. I think we’ve set the bar pretty low, if we believe that he is. I think that the team needs defensive help, and they have to give up some things to get it. I’m more interested in keeping some of the younger forwards, who are closer in age to McDavid. Pouliot’s contract and age don’t make him a great fit on this team by my way of thinking.

Also, I agree, Monsterbater, our sights should probably be more focused on picking fourth or fifth.

85. Pechetr says:

Not sure I have seen a lot of venom directed at Pouliot. I like him. Fits in well in the top 6. Takes a few to many offensive zone penalties, but that is because he is being an agitator. Has speed, has skill and he is a veteran presence. What’s not to like?

86. Hockey Buddha says:

I don’t dislike Pouliot, but I prefer Maroon playing with McDavid. My issue is that players in the NHL don’t respect one another enough. I don’t want McDavid getting run and having concussion issues like Sidney Crosby. Guys will run him, as the Flyers did, with the intention of hurting him. He’s that good, and as he gets better he’ll become more of a target. When you have a player of that caliber, it’s important to insure that they have some protection from the abundant stupidity and disregard for player safety that exists in the league.

So I have Maroon on the wing beside McDavid and Hall as the first line winger. That pushes Pouliot to the third line. $4 M is a lot for a third line player on a team with holes on defense. Pouliot, therefore, to my way of thinking is better off being moved as part of a package for a defender. That’s how I see it at any rate.