RE 15-16 OSCAR KLEFBOM: DIAMOND MINE

Every team in the NHL could use Oscar Klefbom, but no team in the league needs him more than the Edmonton Oilers. So, when he was unable to play 65 percent of the schedule, it mattered. A lot. Even more concerning, we cannot be absolutely sure of him for next season—and beyond.  (Diamond Mine).

OSCAR KLEFBOM 13-14

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.74 (4th among D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: worst available among D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 44.3
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: +1.0
  • Zone Start: 35.1% (toughest among D)
  • Zone Finish: 43.7% (2nd best among D)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 14 shots/7.1% (3rd among D>10 shots)
  • Boxcars: 17, 1-2-3

OSCAR KLEFBOM 14-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.90 (1st among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.71 (1st among regular D)
  • Qual Comp: 5th toughest among D
  • Qual Team: best available among D
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.9
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 9.4
  • Zone Start: 58.0%
  • Zone Finish: 52.6%
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 98 shots/2.0%
  • Boxcars: 60, 2-18-20

OSCAR KLEFBOM 15-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.09 (1st among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.27 (2nd among regular D)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 50.5
  • Qual Comp: 2nd toughest among D (first pairing)
  • Qual Team: 4th best available among D (second pairing)
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 6.8
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 48 shots/8.3%
  • Boxcars: 30gp, 4-8-12 .400

WAR-ON-ICE PLAYER CHART

WAR ON ICE D SLEDGE

The War-On-Ice graph shows Klefbom as a shining beacon, a beautiful blue bubble on a hill. BTN suggests Mark Fayne faced tougher opposition. Both men appear to have been on the ice against very good opposition.

RE 15-16: 70GP, 3-14-17 .243

ACTUAL 15-16: 30GP, 4-8-12 .400

1. What do we have here? A wonderful player, if he can stay healthy.
  2. Could he be a top-pairing defender? Yes, I think so. This past season was very strong, and you would like to see 100 games at that level before being certain, but the arrows are strong.
  3. What is the top concern? Injury.
  4. What injuries this season? He had a finger injury on December 12, day-to-day. After that, it was various descriptions (lace bite, staph infection) but sounds like two very serious infections for the young man.
  5. When was the last time you were this concerned about an Oilers player? Probably Fernando Pisani. I heard some very concerning rumors around him, and in fact both cases appeared to be quite serious.
  6. Oilers were not forthcoming. And that is fine, always side with the privacy of the individual. As it turned out, this was serious enough to cost 52 games (all in).
  7. And maybe next season? It sounds like we will see him in the fall. Peter Chiarelli sounded positive. He called it “a perfect storm of two successive infections” and that cost the season, but there was no bloodletting or muscle loss (beyond inactivity).
  8. They didn’t compromise the foot? Klefbom: “I think it’ll be 100 per cent. I just want to put this behind me.” Source
  9. How important is Klefbom to the build? Massive. You could see it after he went down in December. The team was addled the rest of the way. If he can’t join this group for the next decade, it will fall upon the next group to replace—not reinforce—the defense. A major distinction and a possible derailment of this rebuild. It is a big damned deal.
  10. Who did he play well with? His three partners were Justin Schultz (54 percent 5×5 Corsi for percentage), Mark Fayne (50.1) and Brandon Davidson (49.0). Source
  11. What player-type is he? There is substantial evidence now that he is a complete defenseman. Mobile, wide range of skills, 6.03, 210, sturdy, rugged—and now that he is away from the Swedish assist police, we know he has an offensive game.
  12. How good is his offense? He is 6-25-31 in his last 82 NHL games.
  13. How much at evens? All but three assists. He certainly has the ability to play inside the top 4D and I think he is the most qualified defender on the roster for the top pairing.
  14. Does the lack of NHL experience concern you? Sure, but what is the alternative? Andrej Sekera is the other option, but Klefbom’s combination of wheels and ruggedness make him a better fit. He is pretty damn close to having the complete skill set.
  15. Why didn’t we see it? Partly because of the Swedish assist crisis and partly because he didn’t post much in the AHL at age 20. When you watch him, mobile, good passer, good shot—it is reasonable to suggest he can post 30 points in an NHL season.
  16. That isn’t exactly Bobby Orr country. There were 49 defensemen who scored more than 30 points a year ago, so you could argue 30 points is top-pairing production. Andrej Sekera, offensively (30 points) delivered top-pairing offense a year ago.
  17. Can he play a shutdown role? I think he may eventually be able to handle it and he may already be the best option. I felt, a year ago, Martin Marincin was the best available.
  18. What is the best thing you can say about him? The Oilers are miles better with Klefbom on the roster and if he is healthy next season we should see a more balanced defensive group.
  19. Could he handle Sami Vatanen as a partner? I think that would be a very interesting pairing and yes, it could work well.
  20. Does Chiarelli consider trading him? No, not for me. I think he and Sekera would be the two defenders who are off limits. I would also keep Brandon Davidson and Mark Fayne.
  21. Lame. If you add Jason Demers and Sami Vatanen, things look better.
  22. What would the pairings look like? Klefbom—Demers, Sekera—Vatanen, Davidson—Fayne and your mileage may vary. I like the youth with experience marbling of these pairings.
  23. Marbling? Like cheese? Well, pick another word then.
  24. What would you like to see next season? 82 games, another step forward, and if I may, a few playoff games.
  25. Shut your whore mouth! You asked me what I would like to see.
  26. Why this song? Klefbom is a gem from the diamond mine, even more rare and valuable because the Oilers have been so poor at finding them. If Alex Plante had worked out, this entire process would have been far easier. Or, if they had been more patient with Marincin. Klefbom is a diamond and maybe he can mentor another outstanding young player into becoming a truly useful player before his 23rd birthday. Maybe he can save the next Marincin with his own play.

63 Responses to "RE 15-16 OSCAR KLEFBOM: DIAMOND MINE"

Lemme re-do your post for you:

5×5 points per 60: 1.09 (1st among regular D)
    5×4 points per 60: 3.27 (2nd among regular D)
    Corsi for 5×5 %: 50.5
    Qual Comp: 2nd toughest among D (first pairing)
    Qual Team: 4th best available among D (second pairing)
    Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 6.8
    *drops mike*

2. spoiler says:

Is Qualcomp being estimated by CorsiRel now? TOI? It’s been such a dodgy year for attendance for me that I seriously have no idea and it seems like new stat sources are popping up monthly.

AND WASN’T G$ GONNA FIX THIS STAT FOR US!? lol

Watching Juolevi for the Knights, such a smooth skater. This Knights team is very talented but he stands out to my eye.

spoiler:
    Is Qualcomp being estimated by CorsiRel now?TOI?It’s been such a dodgy year for attendance for me that I seriously have no idea and it seems like new stat sources are popping up monthly.

AND WASN’T G$ GONNA FIX THIS STAT FOR US!?lol

Max Jones is a pretty impressive player too for the Knights.

6. Centre of attention says:

You can really see the Olli Maatta comparisons can’t you? He can really pass the puck too, which makes the Knights offense even more deadly and explosive.

The next time you watch Mitch Marner walk in alone and dangle some poor goalie silly, check to see who gets the assists. Odd’s are Juolevi fired a crisp pass up ice to get Marner on the breakaway.

7. Centre of attention says:

Max Jones is a pretty impressive player too for the Knights.

Is he getting power play time?

If he’s not getting much 5×4 and he’s playing behind the Marner line his offense looks a lot better in theory. Another Chase perhaps? Better/Worse in your eyes?

8. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I think RelCorQC is among the best (using TOIC to adjust some), but yeah I need to get with G$ and get this going.

Two thumbs up, bro. Comparing Corsi between teams is so dangerous, and Rel helps that comparison a lot, but still makes me antsy. Is that the basis of the Qualcomp above?

Last night during my feeble attempts to sleep my mind wondered about Zone Finishes and why we aren’t using this more. For Vic Ferrari it was all about Zone Shift, but I don’t think we need to go that far and thus also limit the sample size. But it seems to me ZF is more interesting than Zone Start, which is basically telling you how crappy the line before your line was, especially if the coach is a line-roller.

Centre of attention: Is he getting power play time?

If he’s not getting much 5×4and he’s playing behind the Marner line his offense looks a lot better in theory. Another Chase perhaps? Better/Worse in your eyes?

So far it is as advertised—the 1PP gets mondo minutes, to the point of dragging their ass to the bench at the end.

Tkachuk is a little bit filthy, I will give him that.

11. Mr DeBakey says:

Marbling? Like cheese? Well, pick another word then.

OK
    Like Sirloin?
    Or
    Like Porterhouse?
    Mmmmmmm

Tkachuk has good foot speed but some of these shift lengths are crazy. He must be a horse. Do we know about his conditioning? Is he a fiend?

13. meanashell11 says:

Klef is the key (if you don’t mind the pun) to the Oilers. If he can come back and give us 100 games a season like he showed this year we will be in good shape.

spoiler: Two thumbs up, bro.Comparing Corsi between teams is so dangerous, and Rel helps that comparison a lot, but still makes me antsy.Is that the basis of the Qualcomp above?

Last night during my feeble attempts to sleep my mind wondered about Zone Finishes and why we aren’t using this more.For Vic Ferrari it was all about Zone Shift, but I don’t think we need to go that far and thus also limit the sample size.But it seems to me ZF is more interesting than Zone Start, which is basically telling you how crappy the line before your line was, especially if the coach is a line-roller.

it’s Gabe’s old measure at BTN.

I was combing through a bunch of players and it seemed to describe more nuance in QC than TOIQC.

Vic said shortly before he was hired by WAS that accurately quantifying QC was the next frontier in fancy stats.

Ideally, we would be able to create a project scoresheet ala Bill James, and have multiple people scoring games and adding things into a database. Things like ‘Teddy Purcell is out at 4:51 of the first period, Matt Hendricks moves up to Nuge line’ and then one giant computer adds all of the nuance into the formula for the season. Ideally.

16. square_wheels says:

Unquestionably my favourite Blue Rodeo song – released in1989……dang I’m getting old.

“Like a drunken fool I never know when to leave……” – thanks for not wasting it on Ference LT.

17. G Money says:

spoiler: AND WASN’T G$ GONNA FIX THIS STAT FOR US!? lol

Yup, WG is the designated goal scorer on this one, I’m just providing the primary assist!

18. Centre of attention says:

They have a browser-based spreadsheet that is pretty much Microsoft Excell, which would be ideal for this kind of data collection. All data is stored on the cloud and can be accessed by any device with internet, as long as you have an invite. Also, multiple users can edit it at the same time. Which could be a good thing and bad thing, as you would need to sort out a pecking order of sorts to avoid double entries etc.

Just an idea.

19. square_wheels says:

Damn is it ever nice to see Brian Elliot make that save.

20. DRFNsuperstar says:

square_wheels:

When I knew it was Blue Rodeo, this was the first player-song match for me. A great, great song.

22. G Money says:

What would the formula be trying to capture?

DRFNsuperstar: Tkachuk skates a lot like Scheifele did in his draft year, heavy and average edges. Scheifele is now an above average skater after spending a few extra years in junior. I honestly can’t tell the difference between Chychrun, Sergachev, or Juolevi they all are so poised with the puck and silky on breakouts. Chychrun is my favourite of them based on the crazy amount of shots he took this year.

24. square_wheels says:

Tkachuk is by no means the passenger on that big line of London’s.

G Money:

What would the formula be trying to capture?

Not necessarily a formula, but to track minutes that don’t line up with overall usage. One of the things doing the RE helps me with is to remember things like Eberle’s slow start—but it would be nice to be able to access usage by lines etc over specific periods of time.

26. sliderule says:

Your Ethan Bear who I had never heard of until you mentioned as a prospect for 2015 draft is very impressive.
    He makes a great pass time after time to clear zone.
    Fantastic shot and good hockey sense.
    As a smaller defender he handles himself just fine.

square_wheels:
    Tkachuk is by no means the passenger on that big line of London’s.

Agreed. it appears to be the center, incredibly. (Dvorak)

28. G Money says:

My post games track every line combo for every game. Give me a range and a player and I can easily pull the combos and EV TOI for those combos.

No formula needed, just G$’s Magic Hockey Database!

sliderule:

Your Ethan Bear who I had never heard of untilyou mentionedas a prospect for 2015 draft is very impressive.
    He makes a great pass time after time to clear zone.
    Fantastic shot and good hockey sense.
    As a smaller defender he handles himself just fine.

I think he could make it, needs to work on his boots. Those passes are really nice, love that part of the game.

30. Centre of attention says:

sliderule:

He makes a great pass time after time to clear zone.
    Fantastic shot and good hockey sense.
    As a smaller defender he handles himself just fine.

Bear is listed at around 200 pounds, hes built pretty thick for his height.

That shot is going to make him a rich man if he can translate it to the pro game.

31. DRFNsuperstar says:

Lowetide: I said almost the same thing last night to a buddy, no idea how to suss these guys out in terms of Juolevi, Chychrun and Sergachev. I think Chiarelli has it right, trade down and get the third man. Of course, that did fetch Pouliot.

The ideal trade for me is trade down to Jersey (so we never see Tkachuk or Dubois ever again) for #11 and Severson, if Chia throws in Yak and get their second or similar that’s all good. Then hope one of the D is there at #11 or grab the big fella Logan Brown.

G Money:

My post games track every line combo for every game.Give me a range and a player and I can easily pull the combos and EV TOI for those combos.

No formula needed, just G$’s Magic Hockey Database!

33. square_wheels says:

G Money,

As I mentioned in my DM, there are some interesting things happening in the “who starts the tire fire” category and subsequently, who has to clean it up.

Been manually following Duncan Keith and if it isn’t shocking to find Seabrook is on the ice for exceedingly long shifts prior to Keith taking a GA on the following shift.

When Keith went down injured, the same thing happened to Hjarmellson (it’s kinda fun to make up new ways to spell his name each time I type it)

34. sliderule says:

I think that the Oilers like Jost a bunch.

If they pick up the defenceman they want in a draft trade down maybe they won’t pick a defender.

Where would Jost fall to and who would be a trade partner.

35. Frank the dog says:

Centre of attention: Google Docs could work, you would need to moderate access to trusted sources, which is easy with the way Google Docs works. You need to be invited by the creator to contribute.

Just an idea.

Or you could do the same with the real Excel in One Note?

36. Aron_S says:

37. wheatnoil says:

Since it’s related to the Oscar Klefbom post, I’ll throw this up again…

The thing I noticed tracking those early games and focusing on the D, was how low event Klefbom seemed to be. Like everything was happening on Schultz’s side of the ice and I always had relatively few ticks on Klefbom’s. His positioning is strong and he doesn’t run around much. Calm feet.

Aron_S: Here’s a question of LT lore I’ve always wondered. How did you feel about trading down in the 2003 draft when they grabbed Pouliot and JF Jacques? Obviously in hindsight it’s a brutal move, but given the (joking?) love affair with Pouliot were you genuinely excited at the time? Or did it become a case of cheering like hell for a player who never turned out?

I liked Pouliot, he had the skill set (two-way center) that makes an instant favorite around here (thus the gushing over Nuge). Injuries derailed him, plus he seems to have had a hard time adjusting to what he was—a two-way guy destined to player a support role.

Jacques could skate and was big, but he could not post offense in the NHL. He was a little all over the place as a winger too, which of course is not the hardest position to play on the ice defensively. Both men were victims of having no Oilers AHL team, and I think that impacted all of those kids from that era.

sliderule:

I think that the Oilers like Jost a bunch.

Where would Jost fall to and who would be a trade partner.

Jost should be available at No. 10, maybe lower. I met him the other day btw, a very nice young man.

40. Ice Sage says:

Diamond Mine: greatest make-out song of the early 90’s for me.
    Just dreamy!

G Money:

Uhhhh….ummmmmmm.

We’re in trouble then.

42. Chachi says:

I believe the Flambes would have received a first rounder from Dallas as part of the Kris Russel trade if Dallas won tonight. Instead they have to settle for a second rounder. Good result!

43. dustrock says:

I’ll wager Klefbom is going to struggle and may never be completely 100% back to normal again. Hate to say it because he’s probably in my top 3 Oilers.

They’re talking about trying to get a custom skate fitted for him so it won’t keep digging into his ankle. He is literally going to the factory to see what they can do. It’s where he laces up. How is this going to stay healthy over an 82 game season?

He isn’t skating now, as far as we know. I hate being Dustin Downer on this but nothing from Klefbom’s mouth in the last couple of months tells me this is over.

dustrock:

They’re talking about trying to get a custom skate fitted for him so it won’t keep digging into his ankle.He is literally going to the factory to see what they can do. It’s where he laces up.How is this going to stay healthy over an 82 game season?

He isn’t skating now, as far as we know.Ihate being Dustin Downer on this but nothing from Klefbom’s mouth in the last couple of months tells me this is over.

Yeah, I don’t think we can know all of that, to be honest.

45. dustrock says:

Just had 1 glass of red too many tonight. I’m sure I’ll be fine tomorrow. Just think it’s sometimes these weird injuries have more drawbacks. Just still affected by Souray & Whitney injuries.

He did confirm he is going to the factory though, I didn’t make that up.

46. Centre of attention says:

dustrock:

Just had 1 glass of red too many tonight. I’m sure I’ll be fine tomorrow. Just think it’s sometimes these weird injuries have more drawbacks.Just still affected by Souray & Whitney injuries.

He did confirm he is going to the factory though, I didn’t make that up.

He had been skating on his own. I think it will be fine once the skin has a chance to heal. Peter said “If we were in the playoffs he could play in a few weeks” at the end of the season.

I’m “cautiously optimistic”. Gosh, that’s almost cliche’ in Oil Country now.

47. --hudson-- says:

Too bad he caught mono in 06 before the playoffs. Thought he looked good in his short stint in the regular season, and possibly could’ve taken some games from Rem Murray.

48. PunkInDrublic says:

dustrock:

He did confirm he is going to the factory though, I didn’t make that up.

Now, if you could call up the factory and say, “Can you guys adjust this shoe to fit 2mm wider in this specific spot?”, would you not do exactly that? Of course. Unfortunately, we do not have that opportunity in most cases. Klefbom does.

They will adjust his skate and try to toughen up the skin in that area. I expect he will be fine, other potential injuries aside. Don’t sweat it..

49. GXL says:

Lowetide: Both men were victims of having no Oilers AHL team, and I think that impacted all of those kids from that era.

GXL

50. GXL says:

Also noticed how Bear is leading all WHL defencemen in scoring in the playoff by a significant amount. I know the +/- doesn’t tell the big picture but he’s currently at +11. Not bad for a 5th rounder. I’m hoping he continues to work on his foot speed but what a shocker when he didn’t make this year’s WJC team. Hopefully he makes the team next year!

GXL

GXL: Something happened along the way… 2 years after the draft, there was lots to like from both Pouliot and Jacques, but there’s definitely something wrong with the Oilers development system. The 2000s were a joke (i.e. shared AHL teams with PITTS) but even after they got OKC, players like Pittlick and Hamilton were right on track until injuries derailed them along with not developing the players. I still remember Hamilton’s play at the 2011 WJC, it was excellent. He went from fringe extra player to a go to player for all situations by the end of the tourney. What happened afterward? Why did he suddenly dropped off in OKC?

GXL

Injuries mostly, although I have always wondered about how they bring these kids along. Other organizations throw their kids into the lineup, Edmonton brings them along slowly. It was weird with Hamilton, Pitlick and Martindale for sure.

52. Hockey Buddha says:

Centre of attention,

A great shot and good first pass can carry a player a long way. On of my favourite Oiler players from the very early days was Risto Siltanen; he could sure blast the puck. He was only 5’7, but thick like a stump. I was a very disappointed kid the day he was traded.

I’ve really got my fingers crossed for Bear. He isn’t exactly what I’d call small though, only half an inch shy of 6’0 and currently 198 lbs. If he fills out to about 210, he’ll be almost Subban’s size.

53. G Money says:

Woodguy: Uhhhh….ummmmmmm.

We’re in trouble then.

I will do my best to set you up for easy tap-ins!

54. G Money says:

Lowetide: Haha! Okay, Jordan Eberle from November 6 through the December 2 game. Who he played with, what they accomplished. I think he had a helluva time getting anything done and it impacted his line.

This is a download link to a CSV of every Eberle 5v5 shift (with linemates) from Nov 6 to Dec 2nd.

Here’s what you get for each game in that range:
    – EV TOI for each line (plus an integer count equivalent in seconds – for easy addition and also because with CSV files loading up into Excel can sometimes give you wonky results if it misinterprets the text field)
    – the OZS%2 (that’s the standard zone start that counts only O and D zone faceoffs)
    – raw CF/CA counts (which is how you can calculate the CF% for the entire 13 game range, or any subset thereof)
    – plus a bunch of in-game %ages for each line: CF%, SACF% (score and venue adjusted CF%), FF% (Fenwick), and DFF% (Dangerous Fenwick), and as an added bonus, RelCF%.

Additionally, in case you want to look at anyone else, this CSV has every line and shift during those same 13 games:

All you have to do to get down to a single player (assuming you use Excel) is start a filter, then use text filter ‘contains’ the name of the player you’re interested in. That’s how I generated the Eberle only version.

Let me know if you need any other data! My scripts basically spit the line data out for each game – I just had to combine it into a single file. I have the same thing for all defensive pairs and every player…

55. Hockey Buddha says:

I agree. I think Chiarelli, from his statements, is seriously considering trading down a few spots in the draft. Oilers might like a player like Logan Brown a bunch. Dubois and Tkachuk will likely be drafted ahead of him. If Chiarelli can pick up a second rounder in this draft by trading down a few spots, he could probably spin it to the Bruins. It’s more likely that a team will give up a 2017 second round pick, which we’d probably use next year and give up our own. Anyhow, it’s a clever way to cover that second round pick to the Bruins imo. Whoever the Oilers draft at 4 is not going to step in right away, and if there doesn’t appear to be much separation 4-9, it makes a lot of sense to trade down, particularly if you think that the player you like will still be there.

56. Professor Q says:

Finally watching my Knights, eh Lowetide? 😉

G Money: OK, you asked and you shall receive (sorry, I know it’s late, my schedule tends towards night owl…):

Here’s what you get for each game in that range:

All you have to do to get down to a single player (assuming you use Excel) is start a filter, then use text filter ‘contains’ the name of the player you’re interested in.That’s how I generated the Eberle only version.

Let me know if you need any other data!My scripts basically spit the line data out for each game – I just had to combine it into a single file.I have the same thing for all defensive pairs and every player…

58. Nostradumbass says:

PunkInDrublic: Have you ever bought a pair of shoes and found that there that one spot that just kind of rubs your foot the wrong way and you get a blister. These shoes are awesome but they just won’t stop irritating your foot and sadly, you need to wear them 3 or 4 hours a day for work.

Now, if you could call up the factory and say, “Can you guys adjust this shoe to fit 2mm wider in this specific spot?”, would you not do exactly that? Of course.Unfortunately, we do not have that opportunity in most cases.Klefbom does.

They will adjust his skate and try to toughen up the skin in that area. I expect he will be fine, other potential injuries aside.Don’t sweat it..

You are seriously underestimating this

Just google staph infections/career ending/sports and you’ll get an understanding of why there is a decent chance Oscar’s career is over

The fact that he had to have surgery to remove infection and that it had recurred is frightening

I anxiously hope for good news

59. rickithebear says:

Corsi is a measure of pocession retention and defensive ability of forwards/forwards prentending to be Dmen.
    EX. Barrie, Faulk. usually third line forward production with brutally awful Def D play.

What fool would consider 3rd line offensive play more important than 1st line def of the net?

Klefbom:
    1st comp D
    top 60 HSCA D.

Klefbom is an elite def D. (what Dmen do) who can generate offence like a 3rd line forward.
    The third line production seems to get Dmen a whole bunch of money!

60. rickithebear says:

Klefbom 6’3″ 215Lb NHLE 11EVG 25 EVP
    Davidson 6’2″ 210lb NHLE 5EVG 15 EVP
    Sekera 6’0″ 198lb 4EVG 15 EVP
    Fayne 6’3″ 212lb

—————————- prospects (not on active roster) by toughest league
    Piagin 6’5.5″ 203lb KHL Age NHLE 9EVG 22 EVP

Targets!
    K. Miller upr 2nd 6’2″ 210lb 5EVG 17 EVP +15
    Barrie bot 2nd 5’10’ 190lb 9EVG 26 EVP -16
    Severson 2nd 6’2″ 205lb NHLE 1EVG 18 EVP -9
    Vatanen 3rd 5’10” 183lb

61. G Money says:

Lowetide: Well, this is awesome! Plenty I didn’t see (a game with 665 seconds of Eberle, Lander, Purcell, and a shift with Eberle, Miller, Gazdic!) and lots of great info. Thanks! I will be bugging you a lot now!

Happy to help!

62. Jaxon says:

Woodguy,

Also, Klefbom’s 0.49 goals/60 at evens is ranked 3rd in the NHL of players with over 400 minutes. Behind Burns and Byfuglien and ahead of Kalrsson. His 1.09 pts/60 ranks 18th in the NHL, just ahead of Roman Josi. And he accomplished that when 57% of his games didn’t include McDavid and the other 43% didn’t include Eberle. I sure hope his injury woes are behind him. If so, I could see him having a career year, especially if they get him a competent RD partner like Jason Demers or Kevan Miller.

63. Jaxon says:

Not sure of the odds of getting Demers and Kevan Miller at a reasonable cap and with no clauses is, but I would be happy with that blueline. I would also hope they can take a run at Burns next summer.

Would they sign for:
    Burns $7.5M
    Demers $5.0M
    Miller $2.5M

They all have a history with either Chiarelli or MacLellan too, so it is possible the Oilers have the inside track on these players. And the opportunity to play in a new arena and feed the puck to a streaking McDavid for a few seasons may be pretty attractive, especially if Boston is rebuilding and if San Jose starts to bleed UFAs.