THE OILERS AND THE BCJHL (2016 DRAFT)

I enjoy writing this blog, but the Oilers and the BCJHL (written annually at this time) is not a fun item. Why? The odds of Edmonton getting full value from their currently invested picks is poor, and further selections from the league just does not make sense. Except this season, where picking from the BCJHL makes real sense—even in the first round. Confused? Well, there are two ridiculous talents in the league this year, and another one worth a top 70 overall pick.

BCJHL PLAYERS TO THE DRAFT

• 2011 NHL draft–9 total players, 0  from BCJHL
  • 2010 NHL draft–11 total players, 1 from BCJHL
  • 2009 NHL draft–7 total players,  1 from BCJHL
  • 2008 NHL draft–5 total players, 0 from BCJHL
  • FINAL TALLY: 61 total players, 5  from BCJHL
  • PERCENTAGE: 8.2%
 The Oilers could stay away from the BCJHL for a decade and still have overdrafted it. Holy hell.

FIVE FOR THE OILERS

• D Kyle Bigos, 2009: Oilers traded him to San Jose before signing him after college. Played for the Edinburgh Capitals this past season, that isn’t bad landing spot in life.
  • F Kellen Jones, 2010: Damned fine AHL PK man. He has gotten a lot out of his career. Seriously.
  • C Jujhar Khaira, 2012: A strong season included his NHL debut. Offense still a concern, but he could have a career.
  • L Evan Campbell, 2013: UMass-Lowell three years in. Subpar season, he is 23.
  • C Liam Coughlin, 2014: Chiarelli dealt him to Chicago for Anders Nilsson. Helluva trade, interested to know what the Blackhawks see in him (does have size).

Last year, I did rate Marcus Vela and he was chosen, No. 190 overall. That’s the way you do it. Smart NHL teams do not seek treasure in the BCJHL, no matter the round. Hidden gems in the CHL are far more likely to cash. Seriously.

Now, do me a favor. Forget everything I told you. Why? This year is different, at least for three picks.

TOP PLAYERS FROM THE BCJHL, 2016 DRAFT

1. RD Dante Fabbro, Penticton: Impressive two-way D. Great passer. top 15.
  2. L Tyson Jost, Penticton: Great skater, creative offensive player. top 15.
  3. LD Dennis Cholowski, Chilliwack Chiefs: Smooth skater, smart blue. top 90.
  4. L Colin Grannary, Merritt Centennials: Winger with wheels. Very good season.
  5. C Kyle Betts, Powell River Kings: Good skater, some skill. Nice story here. later rounds.
  6. R Kohen Olischefski, Chilliwack Chiefs: Tall, lean playmaking winger.

The top three names are locks to get drafted, the first two in Round 1. After that, I think Grannary’s numbers (his NHLE is 15 points) suggest he is a distant bell—and for me, the math says he is the best of the group 4-6 (Betts is rated higher by Central). I have obviously never seen any of these men, but the math tells us there are three actual prospects from the league in 2016. That top duo is outstanding, though.

52 Responses to "THE OILERS AND THE BCJHL (2016 DRAFT)"

1. Professor Q says:

Do you know if those top three BCJHL players are slated to play in the CHL or NCAA at all?

2. 36 percent body fat says:

stay as far away as possible, waste of picks. Jar Jar looks fine, but there are other prospects drafted in that area that are just as good/

3. Caustic says:

I would be happy if we stayed away from the BCJHL this year if we are not going after Fabbro.

Lowetide, what are your thoughts on Sean Day? He entered junior with exceptional states and seems to have stalled.

Is he a kid that just needs more direction and would be a draft steal?

Or was he just a big kid playing against smaller opponents earlier in his career?

4. Richard S.S. says:

Yes, especially after training camp they’re usually sent down – where? Returning to the BCJHL seems a waste in development time.

5. bendelson says:

Professor Q:

Fabbro is headed to BU.
    Jost to UND.
    Unsure about #3.

bendelson: Fabbro is headed to BU.
    Jost to UND.
    Unsure about #3.

Cholowski is going to St. Cloud State. These are all bona fide. Pronman has them 9, 10 and 80.

7. Professor Q says:

If Edmonton could somehow package #4 with maybe Eberle (?) and end up with both Fabbro and Jost, I think I would be okay with even giving up Tkatchuk/Dubois.

Provided they let them play out a few years of Uni development without interruption.

Not even close to likely, I know. And it might be too much to give up, I don’t know…but a RHD and decent Forward prospect would be nice…

8. Centre of attention says:

If we trade down to the 10-15 range I wouldn’t mind taking a swing at either Fabbro or Jost.

I’ve seen video of Jost and have a bit of a “fan scouting report” compiled.

Sweater-flapping speed and a wicked wrist shot. He can dart threw traffic with ease and I’ve seen him make some poor defenders look absolutely silly, especially on the power play. The phrase “Stick handle in a phone booth” applies to this player.

Shifty & with a good stick he’s not adverse to picking pockets at his own blue line and exploding down the ice for a chance. Could be better on the boards but its not for a lack of trying. He gets right in there and digs for pucks, even if he loses the fight due to lack of size (5’11”) he’s still right in the middle of it.

For a recent comparable, I see some of Kyle Connor in Jost. Jost is also going into a renowned program at UND and could get even better.

I haven’t seen or paid attention to Fabbro much so I won’t comment. Everything I read though is positive.

Personally, I would take the forward if we are choosing between those two in the 10-15 range though ideally you would grab one of the three OHL blue if any are left on the table.

My 2 cents

Professor Q:

The OIlers need two legit right shot top 4D who can play in October, not a couple of players who won’t arrive for three years.

Prime assets like the #4OV or Eberle are not going for futures. If they go they are going for defensemen who can play top 4 immediately.

10. Professor Q says:

godot10,

What I stated being not the only assets being moved, of course. There would of course be others included in the deal. But these two players, if Edmonton moves down and picks up another Top 15 pick in this highly unlikely projected scenario, would be two assets not needed to be protected in an expansion draft, as well as potentials.

Getting two top RHD will be difficult. Signing some FAs if they so choose to come to Edmonton and a trade or two to get some to pad the lineup would be nice, in addition to trading down and picking up Fabbro and Jost is sort of what I meant.

Even though I am indeed thinking Tkatchuk or Dubois would be very, very nice, and think Edmonton should take the pick. I definitely don’t know the answer. 😛

11. Ice Sage says:

What’s the NHLE ratio for Junior A leagues?
    I’d be cautious – lesser league, inflated stats, college destination and potential Jiltzing of the team that drafted them.
    Has Kyle Turris covered the bet?

Woodguy ‏@Woodguy55 52m52 minutes ago
    Tweeting this for the record. With the expansion draft coming maybe Wisniewski at 1RD for a year and Barrie at 2RD is best. Then re-evaluate

13. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy,

I was really interested in Wiz last summer. 32 now and missed an entire year minus one shift to injury. Think I’d need some retention

14. John Chambers says:

Woodguy:
    Woodguy ‏@Woodguy5552m52 minutes ago

Not a terrible plan.

I like Brian Campbell on a 2-year better than Wisniewski but same idea.

Oh, but handedness!

15. kinger_OIL says:

LadiesloveSmid,

– Good lord what a divergence: Posters want this?: “In his 11-year career Wisniewski has never made it through an entire season without missing fewer than seven games due to injury and has appeared in more than 70 games just two times. He’s topped the 60-game mark only five times.”

– Because at 33, he’s only going to be healthier going forward. 70 games last 3 years….

– I know we are at kitchen sink stage of spit-balling. Can’t wait for July. Everyone is going to be able to go back and point to their “I called it” post!

*Nik and Kelly in their suits with hockey sticks: what a joke!!!!

16. LadiesloveSmid says:

kinger_OIL,

70 games last 3 years is off, you’re reading hockeydb wrong. He was traded to ANA where he played 13 games and was scratched for a number of games leading into the playoffs.

1 last season (freak injury ala klefbom), 69 in 14-15 (with scratches), and 75 in 13-14.

Pouliot’s missed 51 games over two seasons with the oilers. Klefbom’s got a lengthy injury history. They help the pathetic team then so be it

Wisniewski is certainly worth putting on the pile as a late summer option. Chiarelli has to be aggressive, and certainly cannot count on a Leddy-Boychuk Saturday, so there is some value in at least contemplating the idea. If only Campbell was a RH, he would be a fine mentor to some of these youngsters.

18. SK Oiler Fan says:

J Shultz. I can’t believe Pitt keeps throwing him out there. Zero coverage, zero position, weak on the stick, bailing out of every collision. They have to have a better option. He needs to play in Europe

19. kinger_OIL says:

LadiesloveSmid,

– I stand corrected! 70 games in 2 yrs! So what we going to do? Collect a bunch of D and hope?

– A guy like that is a depth hire. Not a solution as #1RHD, unless you are just hoping.

20. kooler says:

Cracks me up….Schultz, Crosby, Malkin and Kessel on the same line…..makes no sense. Maybe he saved a unicorn in his past life to deserve this.

kinger_OIL,

Like it matters one iota about his health after April 2017.

22. Centre of attention says:

Cheat day is every day for Phil Kessel because he’s out here eating up the score sheet. Hahaha

kinger_OIL:
    LadiesloveSmid,

– I stand corrected!70 games in 2 yrs!So what we going to do?Collect a bunch of D and hope?

– A guy like that is a depth hire.Not a solution as #1RHD, unless you are just hoping.

Why would you consider Wiz a solution to 1RD?

Are you on glue?

24. jonrmcleod says:

Looks like Gretzky is high on the Oilers and McDavid. One of my wife’s Facebook friends spent 3 hours with him yesterday. Here’s the quote from said Facebook friend:

“He loves the Oilers. Said in 2-3 years time they will be the best team in the league and will be for the next decade. Also said that today McDavid is the second best player in the world behind Sid but he’ll be better than him in no time. Said he’s everything everyone says and way more. Also said he told Connor a couple of days ago that he’s not going to win the rookie of the year but not to worry because they never gave it to him either and he turned out ok. Lol.”

25. Water Fire says:

If the Oilers draft any undersized players from undersized leagues, I think I’ll need personal apology.

To do this type of drafting anymore – which includes drafting over sized non hockeyers – shows a lack of getting odds. I can’t take it anymore. Outside of lottery, do not draft player types you don’t like or have low odds. Wasted picks.

Draft what you want to have appropriately, don’t clog the farm with weak decisions and players without an NHL chance.

26. square_wheels says:

Nailfungus.ca – Lordy LT you’ve got some great advert’s 👍

Early thread today someone brought up emerging post college D – has anyone done a deep dive on 21yr – 23yr old RHD’s ?

I did some digging on the Carolina dcorps and Joe Pesce’s nephew has some nice attributes, recall his take away/give away rates looked really good. Could be an emerging 2RHD.

Carolina needs an elite C, can anyone see them looking to move up a grab someone ?

27. John Chambers says:

SK Oiler Fan:

Schultz was atrocious in that hockey game, but I’m sure that because he made a pass on a scoring play between Malkin and Crosby that he got some powerplay time late in the game where he looked terrible.

At least we don’t have to spend the summer worrying about NSF.

28. AsiaOil says:

Man would I like the last 2 years of Chara’s career to show this bunch how it’s done.

jonrmcleod:

Gretz is drinking the Six Rings Kool-Aid.

30. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

I used to think “being on glue” was just smelling the fumes.

Then I lived in downtown Edmonton a few years…….that’s one complicated way of getting high.

So clearly he’s mastered the art of rubbing hard glue on concrete, it’s kinda tricky.

31. kinger_OIL says:

Woodguy: Why would you consider Wiz a solution to 1RD?

Are you on glue?

WOODGUY says:
    May 18, 2016 at 7:00 pm
    Woodguy ‏@Woodguy55 52m52 minutes ago

32. dustrock says:

LT – was reading a guy who I respect on HFB (actually thought he was Tyler Dellow lurking for a while).

He said if you’re looking at overager success, you want 1 of 2 things: (1) 50 goals or (2) PPG for points and PIMs.

He said look at Jack Walker in the WHL and Dylan Sadowy in the OHL. Sadowy is a Sharks pick but currently unsigned

Jack Walker is on the Victoria Royals.

72 games. 36-48-84. 85 PIMs. He’ll be 20 July 30th.

33. JimmyV1965 says:

I would be absolutely shocked if Campbell signs anywhere but Floida.

34. JimmyV1965 says:

kooler:

It really makes you think. How can a team win with such a horrible defence? Most of them are just terrible. Letang is a stud of course. Does he raise all boats? I know Schultz is playing better because he is slotted properly, but he still has huge flaws, just like virtually all the dmen for the Pens. I really don’t get it.

35. JimmyV1965 says:

jonrmcleod:

I’m crossing my fingers. The Jets are looking real good too. Lots of nice pieces. Maybe we rule the Pacific and Jers rule Central.

36. Ryan says:

JimmyV1965: It really makes you think. How can a team win with such a horrible defence? Most of them are just terrible. Letang is a stud of course. Does he raise all boats? I know Schultz is playing better because he is slotted properly, but he still has huge flaws, just like virtually all the dmen for the Pens.I really don’t get it.

Schultz played 13 minutes.

Letang played 27.

Stars blogs had identified Daly as a possession black hole iirc. He played 21 minutes.

Schultz was the only pens dman with a sub 50 Corsi this game.

37. JimmyV1965 says:

Ryan: Schultz played 13 minutes.

Letang played 27.

Stars blogs had identified Daly as a possession black hole iirc.He played 21 minutes.

Schultz was the only pens dman with a sub 50 Corsi this game.

And from what I saw, Dumoulin looked horrible too. How do they do it!!!!

38. Ryan says:

JimmyV1965: And from what I saw, Dumoulin looked horrible too.How do they do it!!!!

Yeah, other than Letang, it’s not exactly a murderers’ row.

It’s a wonder really.

39. Ryan says:

I think the Schultz toi is a tell.

He’s a six/seven dman for the Pens. He’s in/out if the lineup. When he does play, he gets his 13 minutes or he sits.

When he played for the Oilers, he played 22 minutes per game.

As bad as the Pens blue line looks on paper, the don’t have Jultz playing 22 minutes per game.

dustrock:

He said look at Jack Walker in the WHL and Dylan Sadowy in the OHL.Sadowy is a Sharks pick but currently unsigned

Jack Walker is on the Victoria Royals.

72 games.36-48-84. 85 PIMs. He’ll be 20 July 30th.

Interesting. Oilers are in there for some of these players I am sure.

The Penguins did not have to do much tonight, TBAY was awful.

kinger_OIL: – Smid isn’t on glue: you must be with all the sealers for your wood…You called him 1RHD:

WOODGUY says:
    May 18, 2016 at 7:00 pm
    Woodguy ‏@Woodguy55 52m52 minutes ago

Sure he could fill the void for a year, maybe.

He’s no solution though.

43. BONVIE says:

Professor Q:
    godot10,

Wow this just doesn’t make any sense at all!! I am totally with Godot we need forward prospects, but we are log jammed with our defensive prospects. Why would we trade a potentially grade A forward prospect like Dubois or Tkachuk plus an eberle for a couple of Dmen prospects that would not even crack our top 15 for defenseman depth chart for a few years.

The Oilers dman prospect cupboards are full, but we desperately need top pairing veterans to break them into the NHL, and our forward depth outside the NHL is probably weaker than any other organization, so if were gonna use draft picks to pick players they better be forwards.

At first i thought maybe this was a typo and you were suggesting we use that #4 pick and Eberle to get Josi from Nashville, that I could get behind.

44. GCW_69 says:

kinger_OIL:
    Woodguy,

– Fine, I will bite.Severy played a lot with Greene, who is awesome, and a lot with Merrill who is also emerging.His CF WOWY numbers away from those guys is not good.

– Extrapolating figures from NJ and taking them to the West is danger.

– Great, get him: is he going to move the team D anymore than Griff or Nurse or Gryba?

From the other thread. Let’s correct some factual errors here:

This last season Severson played second pair minutes, with a positive CorsiRel, so he definitely moves the needle more than Nurse, Griff or Gryba.

This season Severson played 1102 minutes 5×5. Let’s break them down to kill the Merrill fallacy.

His most common partner was John Moore, playing 543 minutes together. They had a Corsi of 47.8, which doesn’t look great, until you look at what they did apart. Severson was 49.8 in his 559 minutes apart and Moore was 40.2 (yes, 40.2!) in his 564 minutes away from Severson. Severson dragged a boat anchor of Ference quality or worse around the ice to respectability for half his season.

His next most common partner was Merrill, playing 189 minutes together and driving a 51.6 CF%. So, Merrill did zoom Severson? No. In his 513 minutes apart, Merrill was rocking a 44.6% corsi.

Let’s slide on down to Andy Greene. They only played 76 minutes together. They were 50.9% together, and Greene was 43.3% apart.

So, other than Schlemko (same together and apart) and Gelinas who was much better away than with Severson (they played only 32 minutes together and with good reason), Severson carried his partners around the ice for the season.

On a side note, Hynes looks like a brutal coach from these numbers. He is making Greene look bad. Yuck.

To close it out, in his rookie season Severson played 899 minutes 5×5, 471 with Greene. Together they were 49.6%, Severson apart was 50.7 and Greene apart was 47.2%. Greene probably got tougher minutes when apart than Severson did, but its unlikely Severson got soft minutes when playing with the Devils’ best defender and held his own and he did just fine apart.

There is a chance the Devils are going to make a Petry level mistake with this player. I would guess San Jose grabs him, but the Oilers would be nuts to pass on this buy low opportunity.

45. Pouzar says:

Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) | Twitter

EDM and Zack Kassian are closing in on a one-year deal.

46. OF17 says:

GCW_69,

Excellent breakdown. Makes me even more excited at the thought of adding him.

Pouzar:
    Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) | Twitter

EDM and Zack Kassian are closing in on a one-year deal.

Can’t say I’m surprised, but it’ll be interesting to see the dollar amount. If it’s low, we could see Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian as a 4th line with 2 Shaw/Fehr/Wingels/Brouwer types added. That would certainly be interesting.

47. Ryan says:

GCW_69,

You sound like Woodguy.

Fight Woodguy with Woodguy?

GCW_69: From the other thread.Let’s correct some factual errors here:

This season Severson played 1102 minutes 5×5.Let’s break them down to kill the Merrill fallacy.

His most common partner was John Moore, playing 543 minutes together.They had a Corsi of 47.8, which doesn’t look great, until you look at what they did apart.Severson was 49.8 in his 559 minutes apart and Moore was 40.2 (yes, 40.2!) in his 564 minutes away from Severson.Severson dragged a boat anchor of Ference quality or worse around the ice to respectability for half his season.

His next most common partner was Merrill, playing 189 minutes together and driving a 51.6 CF%.So, Merrill did zoom Severson?No.In his 513 minutes apart, Merrill was rocking a 44.6% corsi.

Let’s slide on down to Andy Greene.They only played 76 minutes together.They were 50.9% together, and Greene was 43.3% apart.

On a side note, Hynes looks like a brutal coach from these numbers.He is making Greene look bad.Yuck.

To close it out, in his rookie season Severson played 899 minutes 5×5, 471 with Greene.Together they were 49.6%, Severson apart was 50.7 and Greene apart was 47.2%.Greene probably got tougher minutes when apart than Severson did, but its unlikely Severson got soft minutes when playing with the Devils’ best defender and held his own and he did just fine apart.

There is a chance the Devils are going to make a Petry level mistake with this player.I would guess San Jose grabs him, but the Oilers would be nuts to pass on this buy low opportunity.

Thanks for that.

I had something similar (but not as good as yours) in the hopper when the site ate it.

Ryan:
    GCW_69,

You sound like Woodguy.

Fight Woodguy with Woodguy?

Woodguy = sane, lucid, fact supported arguments?

Heh.

GCW was on the same side as me in the Severson debate.

Pouzar:
    Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) | Twitter

EDM and Zack Kassian are closing in on a one-year deal.

Hope to hear Bear signing an ELC soon too.

51. GCW_69 says:

Woodguy: Thanks for that.

My pleasure.

52. rickithebear says:

Wizniewskii:
    Since 07-08 we have repeatedly been bottom of the league.
    What is repetitive?
    we constantly have Bottom 60 (Hsca/60) Defenders of the net. That repeatedly have bottom 60 EVGA/60

In 05-06 we went to a cup final with 5 top 40 HSCA D.
    You look at the other conf final teams since 2010, Strong HSCA/60 D Depth.

The so called #1 D constantly recommended on here have never succeeded in being a top 60 HSCA D facing First comp. Christ some have ben F….. Brutal against 2nd and 3rd comp.

Yet the same offensive producing names are suggested over and F….. over again.

I have been asking myself how can such theory based math people be soo “moronic” when it comes to trending.

At first I thought of you guys as the Special Academic experts who are into the math and not concerned with the pratical of the result.

Like that classic Far side cartoon:

I struggled with this vision of Hockey academics on this board.

Many are involved with practical jobs.
    You are not moronic in action and prose.
    You are not a group of guys who still need mom to wipe their ass!

Just Stubborn in the true Alberta conservative nature.

I do not Care about the Theoretical mechanics behind HSCA D.
    As FrjohnK points out repetedly the influences..

That point relates to all Money puck stats. Frjohn.
    Therefore none are Valid!
    Right!

But many latch on to this trite And obvious argument to invalidate this view.

Here is the F………. Problem.

If a repetitive trend leads to success.
    you do not say to yourself.

“I will not do this cause it is affected by things that affected the whole game.”

“I hate any idea that goes counter to my belief”

“We will not copy this till I know why it works”

The trend is there!
    It relates to distance and targeting by distance.
    Ie. Physics!
    it makes sense!

So quit F……… suggesting just god awful Def D.
    I want a Deep HSCA D.
    Edmonton had it in 05-06.
    Pronger; Spacek; Staios; MAB; Smith

we lost the 2 best for the 06-07 season.
    Pronger; Spacek. finished 25th

07-08 19th
    08-09 21st
    09-10 30th
    10-11 30th
    11-12 29th
    12-13 24th
    13-14 28th
    14-15 28th
    15-16 29th
    we have Seen a large collection of Bottom 60 HSCA D for 8 years!

But it has nothing to do with that list of bottom end finishes!

I am not against off D.

But Defence of the net is Priority.
    1. try to find TOp HSCA D that can face the best comp.

2. Replace the worst and Move the offensively strong down in comp so they can get better HSCA results.