ME AND MY ARROW (STRAIGHTER THAN NARROW)

I always count up the arrows. It probably comes from my Dad, who told me many years ago that decisions get harder as you move along. He would say early in life things seem so black and white—but as you move along in life, relationships, parenting—you end up choosing between two different shades of grey. Same with prospects, so you better count the arrows.

• Bob Green to Jason Gregor: “We’ve really put an importance on making better picks later, or trying to get more players later (who end up playing pro. And in order to do that we have to know those kids better. We have to uncover more on them because a lot of the kids that are picked later, really, there is a reason why.” Source

I think the Oilers must have had something on Dillon Simpson in terms of background, his Dad is a former Oiler and a very successful human being. Even more impressive, Dillon Simpson has had good arrows every season since his draft day. His NHLEs since draft day (12, 15, 21, 20, 9—AHL debut—and 14) showed improvement every year in college and now every year pro. The quotes from coaches and observers always reflects improvement, every year. No idea where he peaks in pro hockey, only that you would have a damned hard time calling that a bad selection—and the young man has never played in an NHL game.

yakupov connor mah

Photo by Connor Mah

Nail Yakupov will forever be known as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 draft, but I would bet my (almost) full bottle of CR he is in his last two weeks as an Edmonton Oiler. I will go to my grave blaming the management—he needed a veteran center as mentor every day of his Oiler life—but it is time for him to go.

Was he a good choice? I believe he was the right choice, but badly needed a mature organization. I hope he finds one—and that the Oilers handle their next Yakupov far better.

tkachuk capture1

WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT THE DRAFT?

I think we can assume trade talk will heat up, but it does seem to me that both Columbus and Vancouver may be entertaining trades. That makes Edmonton less powerful in negotiations (teams interesting will push for the CBJ pick) until we reach the draft floor and the No. 3 pick is made. Here are predictions by selection.

• No. 4 overall—Matt Tkachuk appears to be a lock for Edmonton at this position—I do think they like him more than Dubois (I have Dubois ahead). If the team trades down, my guess is defender Mikhail Sergachev. Why? He is 6.02, 220 and can skate, help at both ends. Some chaos, but a grand resume.
  • No. 32 overall—I think they would love to take Tyler Benson or Carter Hart here, but could also draft a defender like Cam Dineen or Lucas Johansen. Cliff Pu may also have some appeal. One wild card? I will give you two: Riley Tufte, and Jonathan Dahlen.
  • No. 62 overall—If Edmonton takes Tkachuk and then Cam Dineen, I think we could see the goalie here (Veini Vehvilainen, Tyler Parsons). David Quenneville might also fit here, Luke Green too. I bet they like Libor Hajek too, he may go in this area. Forwards? Hmm. I will say Givani Smith and Boris Katchouk. My wild card here is Tim Gettinger.

GOODBYE, GORDIE

Gordie Howe was larger that life when I entered hockey fandom. He was in his late 30s at the time, close to retirement, and would end his NHL career—a dozen years later! My memories of Howe are strong, but also filled with stories from my Dad and my Father-in-law about his greatness, and his grace. Both men called him the best they ever saw, and as neither man was prone to fibbing or hyperbole, suspect that was the case.

I will tell you a story about Gordie Howe from my wife’s family. It is the late 1960s, the scene is Eaton’s in Medicine Hat. My father-in-law had the kids (eight!) and they were in line to meet Mr. Howe, get an autograph and meet the man. It was a long lineup (Howe was a legend then, too), and one of the kids (Karen) was not doing well at being patient. Dad’s ‘Karen’ echoed around Eaton’s many times as they moved closer to the legend. After many minutes and countless Karens, it was finally time to meet him.

‘Hello, Karen.’

What? HOW did he know her name? Across this country, there are personal stories about Gordie Howe just like that, for as much as he was a legend, as much as he was larger than life on the ice, no great athlete I can think of was more of the people than Gordie Howe. Howe connected with people, on a personal level, for many decades. He was a good man with a good heart—who just happened to be the perfect hockey player.

If you saw him on the ice, calling Gordie Howe a gentle man would seem folly. Off the ice, he was exactly a gentleman. The world does not seem right without him, this is going to take awhile. RIP, Mr Hockey. A gentle man who would never hurt anyone—UNLESS it was a hockey game.

SAIL ON, OMSK HAWK

I hope he plays for many years and enjoys it. I cannot imagine he had many good days in Edmonton and Bakersfield. That is not on him, Nikita Nikitin came to us in a difficult time for the organization. I wish him well.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A sad day, 2016 is going to get coal for Christmas. TSN1260, at 10:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Gordie Howe has passed.
  • Antony Bent. Copa America and Euro.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. The No. 1 defensive option for procurement by Peter Chiarelli this summer.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

98 Responses to "ME AND MY ARROW (STRAIGHTER THAN NARROW)"

1. LMHF#1 says:

A smart and stubborn GM would keep Yakupov. He’s cheap and can play well with your best player. That’s not an easy thing to find despite what some may claim. There’s very little reason to move him for next to nothing right now. If that reason involves Tyson Barrie I get it, but if it is a random draft pick or way out there prospect…forget it. That’s a dumb move in this situation. Flat out dumb. No excuses for Chiarelli if he does that.

2. Skeeziks says:

One of my fondest memories of Gordie Howe is the night he was playing the NYR and Lou Fontinato, the Rangers tough guy decided he wanted to have a go with Howe. Howe broke his nose and otherwise beat him senseless. Detroit won the hockey game handily.

3. Clay says:

Sad day for Mr. Howe’s family, hockey, and Canada. Rest in peace, Mr. Hockey.

4. The Trade Guy says:

Being from Saskatoon I and my family have all kinds of Gordon Howe stories. I met him when he was doing some scouting at a blades game. I was a small kid and my dad and coach said I could go say hi to him and get an autograph but I was scared and said I didn’t want to bother him but someone said that Gordie always had time for hockey kids.

And he did. Signed a picture I had that said “See you in the NHL – Gordon Howe”

My wife’s grandmother wrote his mom (I believe. A truly Canadian thing) to congratulate her son being able to play pro hockey with his boys. She wrote back thanking her for the kind words and an autographed photo signed by Gordon Howe. His mom never liked the Gordie monicker and that’s one of the reasons he often signed Gordon Howe rather then the iconic Gordie.

He’ll be missed. And I’ll miss Johnny Bower for much the same reason when the day comes.

5. SwedishPoster says:

LMHF#1,

Agree. He’s got chemistry with not only McDavid but our two best players and has a 2.5 M cap hit. That’s useful and you don’t give that away for nothing, failed first overall and past drama or not. Make hockey moves not moves out of disappointment or emotions.

6. Little Poteet says:

Being young(ish) and naive (mostly ignorant) I was confused when I moved my family to Saskatoon and we saw murals painted around town of a smiling man in a Red Wings Jersey. “central Saskatchewan is an odd place to be a hub for Detroit fans” I thought to myself. It wasn’t until my father in law said he liked the picture of gordie that I realized who the person was, a name I only knew from the NHL record books and the “gordie Howe hat trick”.
    My father in law then told me about how Howe grew up in Saskatoon, poor and simple, and became the greatest hockey player ever, and yes that list includes Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux. He told me about how Gordie played “religious hockey, better to give than to receive”.
    And he told me about the man Howe was off the ice. I have nothing but respect for a man so successful yet so gracious and humble.
    It is a sad day for the Howe family, the hockey world at large, and the generations of hockey fans who witnessed greatness shown with humility and had an excellent role model.

7. Water Fire says:

RIP Gordie Howe. It is strange when the famous who’ve been around for so long pass.

I read Gregor’s Green interview and it’s not good that he doesn’t understand the proven importance of age and drafting, unless he’s keeping his cards close. I hope that’s it.

8. square_wheels says:

My only encounter with Mr. Howe was a few years back late one night at the Westin in downtown Edmonton. A colleague and I were having a late drink, the only 2 in the place and in walks Mr Howe and a friend. As we were leaving we stopped briefly to say hello……he stands up, immediately covers the upper left upper chest area of his golf pullover……we introduce ourselves with the usual pleasantries – “hi I’m Dean – huge fan Mr Howe” (my grandfather wore out the hardwood in front of the couch listening to Howe as a Wing on the radio as he slid back and forth intensely focused on the action).

He looks at me with that wry grin…..”I’m not sure who you think I am, who’s Mr Howe ?”

……awkward silence – if I could see the look on my face it would be something akin to horror.

As he drops his hand off his chest, he reaches out to shake hands (my hand disappeared inside that vice grip for a second) – “hello Dean, its a pleasure – I’m Gordie Howe”

On his chest where his hand had been covering up, emblazoned in big white letters of an NHLPA jacket – Mr Hockey.

9. rickithebear says:

SwedishPoster:
    LMHF#1,

Good Chemistry with Mcdavid and Hall?

THe better question is “what players Don’t!

10. Rondo says:

McKeens new draft rankings

11. JimmyV1965 says:

LMHF#1:

I would trade him for another reclamation project like Nichushkin or Strome, but if the only deal is for a second round pick, I totally balk at that. He can play here or go to the KHL.

12. Ducey says:

LMHF#1:

The guy just finished talking about his Oilers tenure in the past tense, followed by a public spat with the Russian national coach. I am sure Yak demanding to play with McDavid or pout will make a nice start to training camp. Won’t undermine the coach at all.

AS LT said a few weeks back, he is immature. That’s probably the most favourable interpretation of his behavior.

If Yak is going to have an NHL career (I don’t think he will) he needs to have his Cogliano moment. Cogs thought he was a scorer here and bristled at the suggestion he would make a nice Todd Marchant. He went to ANA and became Todd Marchant. He is really nice player now.

The sooner Yak realizes he is not the #1 overall pick and not an elite offensive player, and the sooner he realizes that players don’t pick their linemates, the better chance he has to do the things he needs to earn a key role on a team.

That is not going to happen here. He is going to have to go to a new team. After a while he will realize, “Gee, maybe I am the problem.”

13. knighttown says:

2016 needs to fuck right off. We’ve lost Ali, Prince, Bowie, Alan Rickman and now Gordie Howe with, unfortunately, Gord Downie palliative as well. Each deserves their moment of public reflection.

I was too young to remember him playing but as a stats-kid I was always mesmerized by him scoring 41 points as a 51 year old. I didn’t understand it then and 40 years later it still seems just as preposterous.

14. wheatnoil says:

Ducey: Yeah, keeping a guy who has publically asked for a trade usually works out really well.

15. russ99 says:

Jeez, Ali and Howe in the same week. I hope Willie Mays is doing OK…

Back to the Oilers:

If Hamonic was still available and we could land him, man would he be a great pairing mate for Nurse in a year or two. Could be devastating.

16. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I’d do Yak for Strome or Yak for Nish. I’d even throw in a mid round pick if I had to.

I like the return and if we don’t move him soon were getting nothing for him.

17. Fog of Warts says:

I believe he was the right choice, but badly needed a mature organization.

If you’re a good organization and you know it, claps your hands.

Come on down, Nail!

If you’re a bad organization and you don’t know it, clap your hands.

Come on down, Nail!

If you’re an organization about to transition from bad to good, in a universe where the laws of quantum physics prevail—the transition being instantaneous on both counts—come on down, Nail!

If you’re a bad organization passing through comprehension that you’re a bad organization in a universe where the laws of Newtonian physics prevail—but this comprehension doesn’t make you a good organization over night—regretfully choose the aluminum door—come on down, Rivet!

If you can’t figure out whether the “get good soon” process is fundamentally quantum or Newtonian, sit there playing pin the tail on the donkey until all is revealed and time itself envies your stubbornness.

Just saying.

18. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

For those concerned about Klef’s injury history, I’d suggest reading Jonathan Willis’ article on the Cult of Hockey. It gives great context and really helps to illustrate that he’s really only missed major time twice. Did he miss important development time? Absolutely. But he doesn’t look injury prone.

19. LMHF#1 says:

Other teams do it, and usually manage to keep the request quiet.

The Oilers need to grow up.

20. Jethro Tull says:

Like Travis Hamonic?

21. Ducey says:

wheatnoil: Did he publicly ask for a trade? I thought it was his agent leaking information while Yakupov had kept it quiet until he was asked about it after the agent leaked. However, I may have mis-remembered.

He asked for the trade at the deadline. That was private. Then he did the interview this March when he spoke about asking for the trade. Our Russian poster (MARN – I don’t know Russian) had posted a translation a ways back. I can’t find it.

Letting the cat out of the bag in the long interview and talking about EDM in the past tense made the request public.

Unlike Hamonic who made it clear he loved the organization but needed to be closer to his family, Yak expressed a lot of dissatisfaction with the Oilers. That’s burning bridges.

22. Ducey says:

LMHF#1: Other teams do it, and usually manage to keep the request quiet.

The Oilers need to grow up.

So now the Oilers are responsible for Yak talking about the trade request?

23. blainer says:

The guy just finished talking about his Oilers tenure in the past tense, followed by a public spat with the Russian national coach. I am sure Yak demanding to play with McDavid or pout will make a nice start to training camp.Won’t undermine the coach at all.

Wow ! Really could not have said that better myself.

Defiantly addition by subtraction. What a total nightmare it will be if he is at training camp.

I agree LT..Sail on Yak and may your next coach have the patience required to help you develop.

24. slopitch says:

#4 for Hamonic
    Yak for Spurgeon
    Sign Okposo or Eriksson

We will have expansion issues. But that’s a lineup with depth and BALANCE. Something we haven’t had since lord knows.

The ability of the Penguins forwards to pressure the puck and get it back is telling for how the game will change in the next bit. Oilers need to change the mix on RW. So the Yak replacement needs to be a 2 way player. Looking back at the 2006 oilers, that team was loaded with 2 way guys. I dont think the Oilers should just get a RHD and stop. There is more to be done.

RIP Gordie Howe. You were before my time but I hear you were good at hockey. Nice guy too.

25. Cameron says:

Mark Howe told a fantastic story about his dad from when they played together in the WHA.

Marty and Mark where playing with their dad on the Whalers (and as aside, how freaking awesome is that?), when during the course of play, Marty ended up getting in a fight and was knocked down to the ice with his attacker on top.

In a flash, Gordie arrives, and hauls the guy off Marty, picking him up BY HIS NOSTRILS.

As Filthy-McNasty as Howe could be on the ice, he was a gentleman off of it, and his friendliness in public is deservedly legendary.

He’ll be missed.

26. blainer says:

Rondo:
    Odd

OMG.. Jeebus I think I just pissed my pants.. that was excellent !!

27. oilman says:

I was lucky enough to attend one of Gordie Howe’s Alzheimer functions a few years ago and was able to shake his (huge) hand the day before his 85th birthday. He was called up on stage and presented with a piece of artwork….he then jumped off the 4 or 5 foot high stage and walked back to his table. Room full of ex athletes were in awe of him. They played footage of other NHL greats talking about getting clocked by Howe during their playing days and they all talked about their scars and broken bones like they were trophies. He was an awesome man who earned so much respect.

28. digger50 says:

What to do with Yak? His play in junior, his points per game, his points per 60 were all exceptional, he did not just “become” a bad hockey player. I wont argue he’s a good player – he is a bizzare player.

He routinely makes moves that his linemates don’t expect. My kid says “watch Yak put everybody offside again” and then we laugh. He does poorly when moved around the lineup, he is just too unpredictable. All this is obvious, I’m sure TMac can see it but TMac did not have a center for him.

There is talk of building a third line. Could Yak be a productive part of a steady third line? He might be perfect for that role. A Marroon cycle type on the boards and in front of the net, a puck carrier up the middle and Yak (shooter) on the right wing.

You could argue that I’m describing McDavid’s line but I don’t see Yak there. We could put Drai in that third line center but IMO I like Drai up with Hall and Nuge. Leaves us in need of that quality third line center as already pointed out.

Another item is the Yak city crowd. Edmonton is not producing in the standings but at least they were producing some fan favorites. If they could turn Yak around it would be seen as success for the organization.

Yak is still a serviceable right winger. If money is spent elsewhere it seems wise to keep him and use him.

I think however he is, or has just become “one of those guys”. The kind who tries to high five and misses cause I thought you were going this way…..go to shake hands and he’s going for the fist pound, jumps in with the conversation with the awkward comment, he’s the square peg. Its happened to me before and the only cure is a new start where it just fits. Yak for Strome anyone??

29. Rondo says:

blainer,

Here is another one of the same guy

30. RPG says:

Rondo,

Those rankings kinda seem are all over the place. Dubois 8th? Chychrun 13th and Sergachev 14th?

31. russ99 says:

IMO the Oilers overall organizational and team culture and how they’ve treated young European players for decades have as much to do with Yak’s trade request as how he’s scuffling on the ice.

As much as these kids play in the OHL these days, there’s still a culture shock and major adjustment required.

32. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

RIP Mr. Hockey.

This has been a rough stretch for losing some of the great ones. Bowie…Prince /Ali…Howe.

Thanks to those who met him for sharing their stories.

33. jm363561 says:

#4 for Hamonic
    Yak for Spurgeon
    Sign Okposo or Eriksson

===========

I usually roll my eyes at these proposals but something along these lines is what I hope for. Simple, affordable, and not ridiculously over estimating the value of the asset given up. I do not think we need to blow the ship up (other than RNH I do not include the bottom six as part of the ship) and we do not need a fading Lucic.

The loss of unprotected players via the expansion draft is the one risk factor I find hard to evaluate though.

34. LOObird says:

slopitch,

Yak doesn’t even get the conversation started if you want Spurgeon. Not even close.

35. JimmyV1965 says:

slopitch:
    #4 for Hamonic
    Yak for Spurgeon
    Sign Okposo or Eriksson

I think you have to draw the line in the sand somewhere. If we’re trading Yak for a second rounder just to make him happy, I say screw it. I’m sure we can get someone else’s baggage though. But if that’s all we get, I tell him to go park his butt in the KHL and improve his trade value there.

36. JimmyV1965 says:

LOObird:
    slopitch,

Totally agree. And the Isles are a playoff team. I highly doubt they want a pick for Hamonic. They want someone who will help them win now.

37. Ducey says:

LOObird:
    slopitch,

Matheson has this quote in the Journal today:

• We keep forgetting that the Oilers will almost surely trade Yakupov at the draft, and here’s what was proposed at the trade deadline: Yak to New Jersey for their No. 7 D-man Eric Gelinas. Gelinas was subsequently traded to Colorado for a third-round draft pick. Yak’s a good kid, works hard. Is that all he’s worth?

So he is worth more than Gelinas to Chia (or was).

38. Pouzar says:

Ducey: Matheson has this quote in the Journal today:

So he is worth more than Gelinas to Chia (or was).

Sweeten the pot and grab Severson.
    Sign Demers.

Keep on Rockin in da Free World.

39. Doug McLachlan says:

At the 2000 All-Star game in Toronto my buddy had scored tickets to the game and all the fan events associated with it.

One of those events was a pre-game brunch at the York Hotel, where the visiting players used to stay when they came in to play the Leafs at old MLG.

I’m at the buffet getting a plate of something when a guy comes over and elbows me aside. I, Canadian nerd that I am excuse myself thinking I must be lingering by the sausages for too long. I look up to see Gordie f**king Howe! I just got elbowed by Gordie Howe!

I small talked for a few moments talking about coming to the York with the Wings. Such a gentleman. Was so stunned that the fact that I had been elbowed by Mr. Hockey didn’t register until maybe an hour or so later.

Rest in peace. My smile was one of countless you have given to fans over the many, many years of your career as player and ambassador.

40. dustrock says:

Doug McLachlan,

Love this story Doug. 🙂

41. ASkoreyko says:

Ducey,

If that is honestly the value that Yak has around the league I can’t imagine there is any way that Chia trades Yak in the off-season. I mean the kid has struggled but he isn’t a cancer on the team or anything and his poor performance has made him relatively cheap. Unless you are worried he is stealing to much ice-time without the results (ala Lander) I have no idea why you would get rid of him.

Look at what happened in TBay with Drouin. You just can’t give up on a player of that talent and pedigree by trading him for a 3rd round pick.

42. Wolfie says:

Bruce, I’m going to throw a little more gas on the Eberle vs Yak fire.

They are both minus players. Eberle has hovered around -12 the last 3 years. Meanwhile Yakupov went from winning the green jacket to being in the same neighbourhood as Eberle with a -16 this year.

I know plus/minus is a rudimentary measure. However it does support the argument that Eberle has stagnated defensively. Offensively he is no doubt better than Yakupov. I think Yak improved leaps and bounds defensively this year.

We don’t yet know Yak’s ceiling offensively. Is Yak having his ‘Cogs’ moment now? If he can find his scoring touch(he played very well with McDavid) I see Yak becoming a more well rounded player. Eberle has never been forced to play defence. He has talent to spare but not enough to make up for his defensive laissez-faire.

In a league where Stamkos sees reduced ice time in the playoffs, a player like Eberle needs to do more to contribute to winning then scoring pretty goals.

Crosby and Malkin have learned the lesson. Scoring is fun but winning is more so.

Eberle gets you more in trade than Yak. If you plug Yak into Eberle’s spot I think you’ll see less drop off then you might think.

Eberle is an established NHL scorer.

44. Truth says:

IMO, the Yak problem stems from the Oilers not wanting (or having the ability) to send him down to the AHL. Yes, he looked good in the lockout shortened year, but the following year he should have been sent down. Yak is the ultimate confidence dependent player I can think of. You can tell by watching his first shift of the night if he is going to be good that night or not.

The Oilers were scared of Yakupov, Larionov and the KHL, make no mistake. Yak and Larionov requested a trade because he hasn’t been given an opportunity. I don’t buy it. A 1st overall pick should force himself into the top two lines, and if he can’t, it is the organizations responsibility to send him to the AHL where he can play 25 mins a night and make a case to be in the top 6 at the NHL level. If there is some external factor preventing the organization from doing this…well, you get to the position the Oilers are at with Yak. Does Larionov think Detroit would have simply placed Yak on Datsyuk’s wing based on pedigree alone? Probably. And that’s the issue.

45. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I like Nail Yakupov. I like the person and there are times that I like the hockey player. I really do.

The number one reason I want Yak to be traded?

For his sake. I think he’s a good kid and I simply don’t think he can be happy in this situation. Too much history, too much disapointment. We can drag it out for another year or two if we like, but at the end of the day if he doesn’t turn into a 40 goal russian Brett Hull he simply won’t have lived up to his billing in Edmonton. I think he’s put in his time and deserves a fresh start.

I really think we can make a deal work with the Islanders for Strome. Yak on the wing of a player like Grabovski could be really good for the Islanders, and Strome has a lot of tools that could add to our lineup. Maybe a mid round pick going one way or another, but there is a deal there.

46. Gret99zky says:

I thought the logical solution was to send Yakupov to Montreal to be re-united with Galchenyuk.

So who can we get from the Habs?

47. Centre of attention says:

Eberle is an established NHL scorer.

Was this ever in question?

48. Centre of attention says:

Wolfie:
    Bruce, I’m going to throw a little more gas on the Eberle vs Yak fire.

They are both minus players.Eberle has hovered around -12 the last 3 years.Meanwhile Yakupov went from winning the green jacket to being in the same neighbourhood as Eberle with a -16 this year.

I know plus/minus is a rudimentary measure.However it does support the argument that Eberle has stagnated defensively.Offensively he is no doubt better than Yakupov.I think Yak improved leaps and bounds defensively this year.

We don’t yet know Yak’s ceiling offensively.Is Yak having his ‘Cogs’ moment now?If he can find his scoring touch(he played very well with McDavid) I see Yak becoming a more well rounded player.Eberle has never been forced to play defence.He has talent to spare but not enough to make up for his defensive laissez-faire.

Crosby and Malkin have learned the lesson.Scoring is fun but winning is more so.

Eberle gets you more in trade than Yak.If you plug Yak into Eberle’s spot I think you’ll see less drop off then you might think.

Eberle gets more than he gives up. This is a verifiable fact.

That you discredit plus/minus than use it to support your argument speaks volumes about your level of confusion on this player. Yakupov has had his head kicked in possession-wise the last few years, with only this last year showing some sort of progression.

Please go analyze Eberle’s puck possession analytics and then come back to me and tell me Eberle has stagnated relative to Yak.

Yakupov and Eberle are not even in the same class of players.

49. slopitch says:

LOObird:
    slopitch,

You may be right. Minnesota is a good trade match though. They have Dumba and a pretty good D lineup. Their issues involve scoring and cap issues from busts like Vanek. Maybe Yak+ something legit but I’m not gonna give up Yak for peanuts like everyone else. It’s just his 4th full year coming up and he’s had 2 20 game injuries in the other years.

Hamonic for the 4th represents close to fair value IMO. That pick can play next year, is expansion exempt and under team control for 7+ years. Probably better than anyone else is offering if Hamonic is secretly requesting a trade but publically denying it. Its better than Boston got for Hamilton IMO.

Maroon – McDavid – Eberle
    Hall – Drai – Eriksson
    Pouliot – Nuge – new hire

Klefbom – Hamonic
    Sekera – Fayne
    Davidson – Spurgeon
    Nurse

Thats a pretty solid lineup (maybe not possible) and affordable.

50. Snowman says:

Wolfie:
    Bruce, I’m going to throw a little more gas on the Eberle vs Yak fire.

Lets look at this idea a little bit here.

in the first 13 games of the season Yak scored 10 points in 13 games.
    Mcdavid scored 12 points in 13 games.
    Benoit Pouliot scored 7/13 games.

Pretty solid production across the board. Gotta like that, Mcdavid gets injured the line gets split up and its never reunited.

Lets look at Mcdavids first 14 games back with Eberle and Pou. Similiar sample size before Pou gets injured and this line is broken up.

Jordan Eberle scored 16 points in 14 games.
    Connor Mcdavid scored 17 points in 14 games.
    Benoit Pouliot scored 14 points in 14 games.

So to review… Eberle scored more than Yak with Mcdavid. Pouliot scored more with Eberle than Yak by double. And Mcdavid himself scored more with Eberle and Pou than Yak and Pou.

Sure Yak scored better with Mcdavid than without. Mcdavid and Pou scored significantly worse with Yak. So I’m not sure it matters if Yak’s production isn’t far off Eberle’s (even though its not really close) because Mcdavid and Pou were both better without him by a wide margin.

Yes small sample. Yes lots of other factors such as injuries, difficulty of schedule blah blah blah. Its not really close though. It just isn’t. I like Yak but he isn’t close to Eberle with McDavid.

51. rickithebear says:

Wolfie: They are both minus players. Eberle has hovered around -12 the last 3 years

10-11 (20yr) Tom Renney

.400 PPG
    Nelson
    46gm 18G 25A 43P -2
    .935 PPG

15-16 (25yr) TMac
    Bottom 1st comp
    Returns early due to Mcdavid injury.
    12gm 3G 0A 3P -11
    .250 PPG

Gets his 1st 20 min game and moves on
    57gm 22G 22A 44P -1
    .772 PPG

At 20 we see a young man who cannot handle 1st comp. under renney

Under renney and kruger a young eberle is an even player facing upper 2nd comp.

Under Eakins he is -23 in 110 gm against bot 1st comp

Under Nelson and Tmac a healthy eberle is -3 in 103gm against 1st comp .845 PPG

52. JDï™ says:

Don’t. Provoke. Bears.

Centre of attention: Was this ever in question?

If you are comparing Yakupov to Eberle, apparently not.

54. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: If you are comparing Yakupov to Eberle, apparently not.

I vehemently disagree.

55. russ99 says:

Don”t get me started on Yak under Eakins…

His plan to develop Yak was akin to throwing a young kid into a pool and assuming he’ll just figure out how to swim.

Centre of attention: I think that people are convinced Yak is less of a defensive liability than Eberle.

I vehemently disagree.

57. Магия 10 says:

Rondo:
    McKeens new draft rankings

MacKenzie consensus rankings go up June 20. They went up June 5 last year.

58. rickithebear says:

JDï™:
    Don’t. Provoke. Bears.

Especially one who likely had a T.I.A. Wednesday last week.
    The day after the Neurologist told me I had to go through a whole shit load of tests.
    Cause of anemia from poor red blood cell count.
    All my medication affects.
    ETC.

Yesterday I get an ultra sound for the vessels of my neck for 75 min.

“I’ve been a mean one, Mr. Bear”
    “stink, Stank, Stunk!”

59. JDï™ says:

rickithebear,

Here’s hoping that things turn out well, and to many more years of ornery posts from RTB!

60. LOObird says:

slopitch,

I also hope Yak isn’t traded for peanuts. However I do feel his value is so low that if he is traded it will be for next to nothing.

If you’re trying to grab Spurgeon, the + that you’d have to add to Yak would have to be pretty substantial (Nurse, or 4th overall, etc). He is their number two d-man and they just signed him so I don’t think they’d trade him, even for a package like that.

Hamonic I’d also love to see come there but as someone noted earlier I don’t think they’d do it for the 4th overall. That player should be going back to junior regardless of which team picks in that spot so they would probably want a roster player like Eberle.

61. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Big news.
    Ference doesn’t need to be protected.
    Chicago will have to count their 7 NMCs on the protected list (not that they wouldn’t have chosen them anyway but they will have to expose some decent players).
    Columbus is goosed.

If the Oilers had sent down Drai after 9 games like we were all callig for last year he would have been exempt. Hindsight is 20/20 but that ill-conceived decision haunts us yet again.

62. blainer says:

If the value for Yak is a 7th D or a third round pick I really think it would be best If Chia talks to Larionov about sending him over to the KHL for a year to build up both his confidence and his trade value.. and who knows maybe he comes back over for the 2017/18 season a new man.

To me that is what would really help turn Yak around. It’s a way of his saving face from not playing in the A after being on waivers three or four times and eventually not being claimed. He is still young enough to recover. He really needs a lesser league IMO. It’s a couple of years late but better now than never !!

63. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

blainer,

And that was what I was alluding to in the Khaira thread. Oilers patiently develop 4th liners. They don’t patiently develop top 6 talent.

64. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I am with you. Nail has real issues in that area. Eberle has moments on ineffective play defensively, even at times bordering on disinterest, but he does know his role.

The numbers don’t lie. Eberle coasts on a back check here or there but Yak doesn’t even know what zone he is in sometimes it seems like.

I don’t see how some here think Yak has more to offer than Eberle.

65. Магия 10 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Big news.
    Ference doesn’t need to be protected.
    Chicago will have to count their 7 NMCs on the protected list (not that they wouldn’t have anyway).
    Columbus is goosed.

That matches what Daly told Wyshynski on the 6th and the new details François Gagnon broke that day.

66. speeds says:

rickithebear,

good luck, hopefully all works out well for you!

67. stevezie says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker",

Wow. Easy on us yet punishing to others. Nice to catch a break.

As much as Drai hurts, the one thing tambo was good at was avoiding crippling contracts. After Nikita and ference disappear we won’t have any bad deals.

68. elegiaccycle says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

So yes, I just read this too and was thinking some things. Also looking for some answers…

1. I wonder why I haven’t heard any peep from people about the fact that I think Ference is retiring from hockey to move on to non-profit work? That would mean he’s not a factor on the future cap or expansion draft strategy yes? Feel like that’s significant and wonder why the world is quiet. Is it just me who thinks this? (Interestingly, I think the Official Oilers Twitter account removed their retweet of Ference’s twitter account posting this.)

2. According to the sportsnet article, they don’t mention the 8 skaters 1 goaltender rule? Is that still in play?

3. It says that people who have played only two seasons before 2017 are exempt? Wouldn’t that exclude McDavid, Nurse, AND Davidson? If so, that’s pretty big news no? Davidson didn’t play more than 10 games before last year right? or… no…?

4. I think these expansion rules are making it pretty clear, we’re only going for ONE top RHD this year. The true 2nd RHD is going to have to wait till next year. Right now, we are in a spot to probably grab a “Barrie” like player and then pay some lower end cash for a 3rd pairing or 1 to 2 year term person. (I wonder if we’re going to see a lot more 1 to 2 year terms this year in FA season) If this is true, I’m wondering if the Oilers pull the trigger on another D it’s probably along the lines of Franson , Wisnewski or Wideman (ugh… but let me explain in the next point)?

5. This also seems to me that staying put with Fayne seems more and more likely unless someone REALLY wants him.

6. I’ve been reading the Flames Nation blog (it’s twisted I know) and a lot of people are really deluded to think that they can keep all those wonderful defencemen and forwards and stay under the cap without something serious pain. Why can’t we try Reinhart + 4 + Yakupov (MAYBE) for their 5 + Hamilton + Wideman (a poison contract). Gaudrau and Monahan are really going to demand some coin this year so something like this may push them to be desperate enough to do it. Those boys are offer sheet worthy from other teams so they need to figure this out fast. They need cheaper players with an upside to offset the dilemma they’re in for just this year. They can afford the loss of one of their top D this year because they’re going to expose someone to the expansion draft next year too right? RIGHT???? (disclaimer: I’m resentful of the Hamilton trade to this day and wondering if putting Reinhart in this is some kind of redemption. I know I know… we should let it go…)

7. Don’t trade Hall.

8. Don’t trade Hall.

9. Don’t trade RNH.

Cheers.

69. LadiesloveSmid says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker":

Big news.
    Ference doesn’t need to be protected.
    Columbus is goosed.

does CBJ go on a buyout rampage this offseason?

4 forwards with NMCs (Hartnell, Dubinsky, Clarkson, Foligno) and then I imagine Saad, Jenner, and one of Wennberg/Atkinson would be the other.

Tyutin has a NMC but is as good as bought out. Some were thinking of Fayne for Tyutin, eek.

70. GCW_69 says:

I am seriously late to the Wheatfield Soul discussion due to work commitments, but having just read it (never miss a post), I do offer the following observation. The post notes the following targets and their acquisition cost:

RD P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens. Taylor Hall.
    LD Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim Ducks. Taylor Hall.
    Travis Hamonic, NY Islanders. Oscar Klefbom.
    Jason Demers, Dallas Stars. $5.5 million times five.
    Tyson Barrie, Colorado Avalanche. Nuge.
    Radko Gudas, Philadelphia Flyers. No. 4 overall (Edm also gets Sanheim).
    Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes. Nuge.
    Sami Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. Benoit Pouliot/Nail Yakupov (Edm gets a pick).
    Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. No. 4 overall.

I think not including Severson on this list is a miss. There is some good evidence Severson can handle the second pair role. His work with John Moore in what looks like second pair minutes was incredible. Moore was 7.6% better with Severson then without in roughly equal minutes. There is also reason to believe he could be available given his coach scratched him on multiple occasions despite very good results.

With his shorter track record and a coach that undervalues him, and lesser draft position halo effect, you would have to think his acquisition cost would be lower then anyone on the list above. Based on the Devils desperate need for young forwards, I would bet Yakupov and Musil gets it done but I am interested in what others think it would take.

But if my choice for 2RD is between Cody Franson or equivalent and Severson, I take Severson. And I still believe Franson has more value then many, but between him and Severson it’s not even close.

71. LadiesloveSmid says:

elegiaccycle,

You bring up a good point on CGY’s D, in that they won’t be able to keep their entire constructed D. You have to think getting a suitable partner for Hamilton is on their agenda but if they do it this summer then said player is exposed. Maybe Calgary takes the first D of the draft (Sergachev?), as an exempt player who could play pretty soon with Dougie.

72. wheatnoil says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker":

Big news.
    Ference doesn’t need to be protected.
    Columbus is goosed.

Yeah, sliding Drai’s contract would’ve been useful right about now.

Also, if I was Chicago, I probably would’ve wanted to expose Seabrook’s contract after next year. They may not feel the same way though.

73. LadiesloveSmid says:

GCW_69,

the target for 2nd pairing right side should be someone whose contract either expires by the expansion draft or isn’t important enough to care if they get claimed, no? If they get Severson+Barrie then one of them or Klefbom is exposed.

think signing Campbell/trading for Wisniewski, Chara, Franson, etc. is the play after acquiring 1RD

edit: ^Chara’s got a NMC, not sure about the rest. Not worth it

74. GCW_69 says:

LadiesloveSmid: does CBJ go on a buyout rampage this offseason?

75. elegiaccycle says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    elegiaccycle,

It makes me sad that your point makes sense.

76. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    GCW_69,

Not necessarily. If the 8 skater method is still active they could easily cover Sekera, Klef, New Guy 1, New Guy 2, Hall, Draisaitl, RNH and Ebs. You’d run the risk of losing Davidson or some complimentary forwards but would still protect your core.

77. npanciroli says:

I probably go 4/4 and expose a forward. Sekera/Klefbom/New D/Davidson/2nd New D.

78. GCW_69 says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    GCW_69,

79. wheatnoil says:

elegiaccycle:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

2) Good point. It doesn’t mention that, though I haven’t heard from anyone that that is specifically out.

3) Davidson is exposed. They use CBA rules. So AHL seasons from age 20 and onward count as a professional season, meaning Davidson has more than enough. All the AHL D this year also are exposed except for Laleggia and Betker I believe. Nurse and McDavid should be safe, as you mention.

80. wheatnoil says:

GCW_69: You would have to think this forces them to buy out Clarkson, like it or not. No way you risk losing Saad, Jenner, Wennberg, or Atkinson to protect Clarkson.

Clarkson can waive his NMC. The article states players are allowed to waive if they agree. So it depends on whether he agrees or not.

81. elegiaccycle says:

wheatnoil: 1) Ference stated in an article by Haggarty (Boston reporter) that he was preparing to retire if he was bought out. I think he’s expecting he’s done. Though, I suspect he’ll collect his pay, either as a buy-out or LTIR but knows he’s not playing any more.

Thanks, that’s helpful and tells me it’s even more likely they will get only one long term top shelf RHD this year. Really hope that 8 skater +1 goaltender is still in play.

82. Bank Shot says:

GCW_69: Can they not protect four defenders and take the risk on Pouliot or Davidson getting claimed?

That`d be the route to go if the Oilers pick up some strong defenders this season.

Pouliot and Davidson aren`t bad players, but they are players that are very replaceable.

If Mact wasn`t such a dummy who forced Draisaitl, the Oilers would likely be completely in the clear.

Does anyone know how many players the expansion team will be allowed to pick….

23 seems like it would be the number which means the Oilers still may not lose anyone off their roster. Although I think the Oilers will be better off long term if Vegas takes Pouliot off their hands.

He makes too much for what he brings, and the Oilers need that money for Drai and McDavid in short order. They can easily replace Pouliot by signing vets to cheap show me contracts on McDavid`s wing.

83. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

Bank Shot,

30. 1 from every team. If there is 2 expansions teams then it would be 2 players lost from every team.

84. wheatnoil says:

James Mirtle reports at the Globe and Mail that the 8+1 rule is still active.

Also, the expansion team takes one player from every team, MUST select at least 3 goalies, 9 defencemen and 14 forwards (so that’s 26 of the 30), can’t buy anyone out until the next year, and has to select players so that they have at least 60% of the cap covered.

Man… this is complicated!

Let’s say the cap is $72M for 2017/18 (might be a bit higher). 60% of the cap is $43.2M in claimed players as a minimum. With 30 teams, that’s an average of $1.44M per claimed player as a minimym.

That means you’ve got to pick up a couple higher priced guys to make sure you hit that $43.2M. I imagine that it won’t be TOO hard to do, but those are an awful lot of restrictions.

Given that you HAVE to pick 3 goalies, they’re going to want to select at least one waiver exempt goalie so they can send him to the minors without passing through waivers.

85. JDï™ says:

GCW_69: You would have to think this forces them to buy out Clarkson

Or ask him to waive the NMC, which he might do for them.

86. Магия 10 says:

JDï™: Or ask him to waive the NMC, which he might do for them.

Sure. Players who got themselves NMCs are keen to go to an expansion team.

87. Ducey says:

I think they will have to go buyout. He is off the crutches now (he had surgery in the spring) and likely would be ready to go at some point in the next 8 months.

A buyout only costs them $1.083 M per year for 2 years.

88. Ducey says:

Магия 10: Sure. Players who got themselves NMCs are keen to go to an expansion team.

Which would you pick? 🙂

89. JDï™ says:

Yes, they might. Especially Columbus -> Las Vegas. Yes.

And Clarkson has already been traded since signing that anchor deal with Toronto, so either his NMC is already gone, or it kicked in after the trade.

Oilers can LTIR Ference and his contract runs out (in spirit) before the expansion draft. He should not need to be protected. Rules can change of course

91. pts2pndr says:

Tnx LT!

I love this site! Ference or any other player in a similar position only has to wave said clause and allow himself to be eligable for the expansion draft! Slight sweetener from current team knowing no GM in their right mind will draft them. This is quite simply a no brainer!
    Yak is on a value contract. He is a first round draft choice that has been mishandled and or undervalued by the Oilers! This list is unfortunately long. The entire team under Dallas went sideways! This now means all Oilers players market value is lower than it should be.
    Our new GM has been misinformed on a number of players including Nikitin Shultz and Ference! This has perpetuated a very bad situation. The purge has to be completed! Just my opinion,

92. Магия 10 says:

Ducey: Well, you can get 100% of your salary to go to an expansion team in Vegas or 2/3 to hang out unemployed in CLB.

Which would you pick?

Right. Missed that angle.

note: some players could pocket the 2/3 and pick their own spot to get the other 1/3+.

but yeah if you aren’t going to get a new contract that trade to Vegas protects you from buyout for a while because claims have some buyout restrictions.

93. Wolfie says:

The argument was never meant to be is Yakupov a better player right now then Eberle. Eberle is far better offensively at this point. Is it $3.5MM difference. If trading Eberle brings depth at RHD I think Yak has proven he can post good offence with McDavid.

I saw big improvement in Yak’s 2-way play this year. But if the plan is to continue to stick Yak in a 3rd line role without decent linemates you’re better served moving him.

Wolfie:
    The argument was never meant to be is Yakupov a better player right now then Eberle.Eberle is far better offensively at this point.Is it $3.5MM difference.If trading Eberle brings depth at RHD I think Yak has proven he can post good offence with McDavid.

I saw big improvement in Yak’s 2-way play this year.But if the plan is to continue to stick Yak in a 3rd line role without decent linemates you’re better served moving him.

Ah. Well, my argument against trading Eberle is that he is RH on a team with none, really. Yakupov cannot help in that area.

95. AsiaOil says:

Eberle is an established NHL scorer……….

…who has been on a downward scoring trend for 5 years.

Eberle ESP/60 (rank among forwards playing >500 min)

2015-16 – 1.85 (#83)
    2014-15 – 1.98 (#64)
    2013-14 – 1.89 (#94)
    2012-13 – 2.28 (#31)
    2011-12 – 3.04 (#2)
    2010-11 – 1.83 (#114)

Ebs has been living off 2011-12 for quite a while and descended back to where he was in his rookie year (a low-end top line player). Take out that season 5 year ago and the record is unspectacular and certainly not value at a cap hit of $6 million per year given that he doesn’t particularly contribute positively in the defensive zone as was on display multiple times this past season. I would be a seller and the return will be unspectacular (maybe Severson as NJD needs offense and has plenty of cap room).

As for Yakapov – what a mess after a fine rookie season – basically a defensively challenged 4th liner.

2015-16 – 1.36 (#206)
    2014-15 – 1.19 (#276)
    2013-14 – 1.45 (#200)
    2012-13 – 2.13 (#45)

Yak is atypical as many have observed and rarely his own best friend, and the org’s “development” of the player was horrific. Lots of crap on everyone’s hands and it’s best to move on.