DRAFT POST 12: DANGER BIRD

As much fun as the first round always is, the Edmonton Oilers badly need to rattle and hum in the later rounds. In 2015, they appear to have done it, but the race among the ruins previous to it mean this draft is beyond important. It is vital to nail it, round one through seven.

• Douglas Hunter, A Life in Hockey: Among the Europeans discussed by (Scotty Bowman) and his staff on the night before the draft was Jiri Dudacek.
  • ”I remember his name being discussed,” recalled Jimmy Roberts. ”but the first I knew Dudacek was our top pick was when Scotty stood up and said his name at the draft.”

Hockey people are hockey people. Math people are math people. I believe the key to winning a Stanley Cup with Connor McDavid as an Oiler is getting these two sets of highly combustible people-types together in a room. We need to make sure the player has 10 fingers and toes, skates well, uses his brain. And you need the math to make sure those blasted boxcars are not lying to you. Most important, you need a leader who will not trump the views of his advisers over gut feel, intuition,  vague virtues that cannot be measured like heart, grit—not even a red fire engine that might pass through his purview.

I think 2015 was a good draft. Music! Now, they have to do it again. Matt Tkachuk, Lucas Johansen, Filip Hronek, Dylan Gambrell, Jordan Sambrook. Edmonton badly needs two, three, four productive NHLers to come from this draft. Impossible? That is the task.

OILERS CURRENT ROSTER AND CAP

oilers current roster and cap

Two small things that I wanted to mention as we get set for the moves that will change this roster:

• The cap is set at $73 million. That is $200,000 more than projected.
  • Jordan Oesterle’s excellent contract gives him a chance (imo) to land that No. 7 job. Dandy negotiation for both sides.

If the Oilers grab just one defender this summer, I am beginning to think it might be the pick mover (No. 2 on the list below). Seems to be more Shattenkirk and less Hamonic to the proceedings thus far. I could be reading too much into things, but that is kind of what this blog is about, truth to tell.

THE CHIARELLI LIST

1. Top-pairing RHD (Two-way skills)
  2. Second-pairing RHD (Offensive defenseman)
  3. Acquire RHC with some skill
  4. Backup goalie

THE CHIARELLI EXTENDED PLAY LIST

1. Add a “Pisani” who can mentor, score 15, and play a two-way role up and down the lineup.
  2. Re-stock the shelves via the draft.
  3. Improve overall team speed.
  4. Offload Lauri Korpikoski.
  5. Improve goaltending depth (added Nick Ellis, but more is needed—likely draft).
  6. Improve AHL quality (Caggiula, Russell, Ellis, but more is needed).
  7. Cull the LHD herd.
  8. Rob the Islanders of something.

THE ASSETS LIST

1. Cap space*
  2. Nail Yakupov
  3. No. 4 overall selection*
  4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  5. Taylor Hall
  6. Jordan Eberle
  7. Benoit Pouliot
  8. Mark Fayne
  9. Griffin Reinhart
  10. 2017 1st round selection

I think the cap space may come into play more and more as the summer wears along. The Blue Jackets may make a panic trade with Calgary this week in an effort to grab enough walking around money to sign Seth Jones. There are barstool blues all over the NHL in cap terms and PC can apply the same kind of pressure as he did one year ago to the Bruins (whose return for Dougie Hamilton may be less than two years away). I do not know where this is heading, but expect a defenseman will be here right soon.

OFFER SHEET

Speeds has an outstanding read on an offer sheet here. I really like options two and three, interested in your input. Seth Jones for only money would be an excellent option for the Oilers, and speeds gives us a lot to think about here. How many draft picks would you want to give up?

SHATTENKIRK. AGAIN

• Pierre Lebrun: “But also certainly player movement. There are calls right now coming in on St. Louis on Kevin Shattenkirk, who has a year left on his deal. Can the Blues sign him to an extension, or do they have to move him. They’re pretty deep on defense, especially with the advent of Parayko this year behind Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester. The Blues are in a pretty good position of strength to probably move Shattenkirk, if they want, in an offseason in which there are a lot of teams looking for D. Think of the Boston Bruins. Think of the Edmonton Oilers. Those among the teams that have already spoken to St. Louis here of late regarding Kevin Shattenkirk.” Source

The Bruins do have some things to offer, just not sure if the club would be willing to trade young forwards like David Pastrnak or Ryan Spooner. Rumor has it that a late first has been offered, Edmonton could do better if they choose. I think Leon would have high value, suspect Nuge would be of interest (although his cap is $6 million).

DEREK STEPAN

• Larry Brooks, NY Post: If the Blueshirts deal Stepan, then it would have to be in a trade that brings back another top-line center; perhaps to Edmonton for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who is carrying a $6 million cap hit through 2020-21. It is a swap that would increase the Rangers’ talent level (while providing Edmonton with veteran leadership). Source

Stepan is somewhat similar to Nuge, per 82gp the Ranger has posted 21-37-58 boxcars (Nuge: 20-38-58) and both men have two-way acumen without being great in the faceoff circle. Nuge is three years younger, Stepan is RH. I would not make the deal, based on age differences. I will say you would be hard pressed to find a more similar NHL player to Nuge who just happens to be right handed, so it is an interesting trade idea based on that difference.

WHAT DO WE KNOW FOR CERTAIN?

All this chatter, does it mean anything? Yes and no. We had Cam Talbot as a target (along with others) last year at this time. Based on the tea leaves, I think we can guess:

• The Oilers are listening to offers for No. 4 overall.
  • If they make the pick, it is Matt Tkachuk.
  • Connor McDavid should win the Calder, but will not.
  • Kevin Shattenkirk is in play.
  • The Oilers are clearly discussing some of their more valuable assets in trade.

That said, maybe they trade down at grab Mikhail Sergachev, maybe the club deals Nurse or Leon instead of a $6 million man. If I am thinking along with Peter Chiarelli, his no-trade list is Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Darnell Nurse—along with veterans like Cam Talbot and Andrej Sekera—players PC brought into the fold. I would count Oscar Klefbom as outside all of these lists, because the injuries of last year probably dashed any possible trade value. Also probably unwise to deal the young man, he looks bona fide.

BLOGGER AWARDS

The folks at Oilers Rig did a fun thing, doing polls on various categories. It is here. I would like to thank them for including me, it is an honor to be mentioned in such a fabulous group. I think it fair to tell you who I voted for in each category:

• Corsi Award: Jonathan Willis
  • Most Influential Blog Series: Woodguy for the Cam Talbot mini-series
  • Please come back series: I tried to vote for all of Rom, Mike and Scott.
  • Blind Love: Megan Fowler
  • Anger Management: Bruce McCurdy
  • Dellow Memorial: G Money
  • Troll: DSF, but out of love
  • Unicorn: Woodguy
  • Sliderule: G Money
  • Rookie: G Money
  • Most Respected: Pat McLean

Fun idea, congrats to them on a job well done. If I didn’t include you, it wasn’t from lack of exposure. I was surprised and happy to see that the work of all nominees was known to me. Time pressures have been a big issue over this year, so getting time to read blogs has been tight. Sincere thanks to those who voted for me and I look forward to the great work being done by all of these blogs.

I AM GOING TO ‘OLD MAN’ YOU NOW

I value blogs highly, because I lived a life before them. A life that was filled with things that were not true, like Chris Hajt would be Bill Hajt and countless other things. If you write a blog, thank you for doing it. If you take the time to inform me, from Blue Bullet’s brilliant work to G or Woodguy or Jon or Bruce or Megan or Alex or Sunil or Alan or Sami or Walter or Ryan or any of you, thanks. You have given your time to make my experience watching this beautiful game better. That is a noble pursuit.

PS, we need more women writing about the Oilers. Seriously. The more smart people looking at a problem, the more ideas. With all due respect to Dans out there, bet my bottom dollar there are a bunch of Susans who have great things to tell us. If you are female, and reading this wondering how you can get started, please reach out. You will find a lot of support, and hat tip to Megan and others who are making their voices heard.

293 Responses to "DRAFT POST 12: DANGER BIRD"

« Older Comments
  1. npanciroli says:

Anything more than 5 years for Lucic is frightening.

2. LMHF#1 says:

Hall, Hopkins, Nurse, #4 for Subban and Galchenyuk.

OS Barrie/Sign Demers

Sign UFA F1 Ladd/Wiese/Okposo/Nielsen

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
    Pouliot-Draisaitl-UFA F1
    Kassian-Galchenyuk-Yakupov
    Who-Really-Cares

Klefbom-Subban
    Sekera-Barrie
    Davidson-Random

Talbot
    Random

MUAHAHA.

No way I’m under the cap, am I?

3. LMHF#1 says:

Chachi: His comment that Sean Horcoffhad never been called upon to shut down other teams’ top lines was very very wrong though. I appreciate these ex players being forthcoming about their experiences, but can they not be corrected when they are obviously wrong?

Not what I was referring to.

You also spelled Shawn wrong, so…*shrug* hahaha

4. Visually better says:

Any basketball fans on this website? My heart just broke…my Chicago Bulls just traded D.Rose, and I am devastated

5. RandomPoster says:

Caramel Batman: The expansion draft is net neutral for all teams.

Ridiculous!
    Not all players are equal.

6. Protagonist says:

Visually better:

Holy crap for what/who? Also, he’s been a wreck for years, so I can see it. Still, it really shakes up the team. Is Thibodeau still coaching?

Visually better:

Knicks? Weird trade.

8. Obiwan Eberle says:

Nuge, 4th and Yak for PK and Mike McCarron

9. rickithebear says:

Josh:

here is the whole analysis of high Scoring chance shots.

85 % of goals come from Hiigh scorig chance area shots.

Mcdonagh was top 20 HSCA D that avg 7.50 HSCA shots/60

I wanted
    K. Miller 2nd comp #18 career active HSCA D 8.20 HSCA D
    or
    Brodin 1st/2nd comp top 25 HSCA D 8.45 HSCA D
    or
    Lindholm 1st comp top 12 HSCA D 7.65

But hey bot 20 HSCA D like Barrie and Faulk are what we need!

I would love to run LV Expansion draft!

10. stevezie says:

Магия 10: Or you could find some teams that aren’t concerned about the net neutral draft and send them quantity for quality.

Those teams might win, because you can only lose one player. If we, say trade for Trouba, which means we have to expose… Davidson, and we lose him, now we don’t lose Pouliot (or whoever).

The player you lose isn’t just “gone”, he is traded for the player you don’t lose.

This is the argument for Pittsburgh keeping Fleury. They could trade him for (say) a 1st, or lose him and get to keep one of their good forwards or D. Which is more valuable to them?

You’re not being punished for being deep, you get rewarded. You can afford to take the hit you’ll have to take anyway.

The sour spot is to be the team with only one good player exposed. You’re probably not a good team, and now you are one player worse. If you have five good players exposed? That’s a great sign!

I get the argument for trying to game the expansion draft, but now is not the time to load up on picks. The CMD ELC window is closing. Now is the time to make the playoffs. Ideally we sign Demers without a NMC and expose him (or convince Sekera to waive?)- then we will have lost no assets. But even then, we’ll probably lose Pouliot or comparable.

Someone good is going to go. the only way to avoid this is to have only eight good players. That’s not a good strategy for winning.

11. vinotintazo says:

omgaaa is it friday yet?

12. JDï™ says:

And what would another off season be without a Kanetroversy? I guess we’ll have to wait until next year:

Don’t click that link if you’re at work – basement bloggers notwithstanding.

13. Caramel Batman says:

RandomPoster: Ridiculous!
    Not all players are equal.

And I’m telling you it makes no difference. The Oilers are going to lose someone like Pouliot or Maroon or Yakupov or Oesterle or Letestu or Reinhart no matter what they do.

Do you care which of these guys they lose? Do you think they should avoid acquirng Demers or Trouba or whomever so that you can protect one more guy?

Go ahead and make your own protected list under different scenarios. It doesn’t matter.

14. Water Fire says:

Truth: Probably. I have my doubts about Klefbom ever being the player he was prior to this custom skate requirement from now on.Gallagher can play on top lines, and although he is small his style of play would be extremely attractive to Chiarelli (and something missed on the Oilers).

I coud see a very Chiarelli type lineup at F:

Lucic – McDavid – Gallagher
    Maroon – Draisaitl – Eberle
    Pouliot – Nuge – Kassian

I didn’t consider Klef’s health.

One of the things I wish I could tell you and have you believe me: Do not worry about the expansion draft. The rules will be finalized about this time next year. Honest.

16. Water Fire says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: I can tell you first hand, everyone here in London said Gagner wasn’t ready for NHL and knew he’d be back…… but wasnt. Oilers ruined him no doubt about it. Tkachuk also needs to return to London. If he gets 9 games fine but if he does not return here after that it will be a terrible mistake. Let him be the man for a year under an NHL coach in Hunter and work on his game. Don’t pull a Lowe and forcefeed him when he’s not ready.

I was being a smrt ass.

Gagner’s problem was average skating, short, no shot, no defensive awareness.

17. Protagonist says:

Water Fire: I was being a smrt ass.

Gagner’s problem was average skating, short, no shot, no defensive awareness.

Oh was that all?

18. Snowman says:

Protagonist: Oh was that all?

Beat me to it….

19. Chachi says:

LMHF#1: Not what I was referring to.

You also spelled Shawn wrong, so…*shrug* hahaha

20. LMHF#1 says:

Chachi: Thanks for the spelling correction, it is important to get those things right because someone could have honestly thought I was thinking of a different Horcoff who also played with the Oilers when Shawn was here. What were you referring to then? I quickly looked through his timeline and that was the only Oiler related comment I saw him post and it is bullshit.

Someone took the general tone of his comments and went on about how he “hates the Oilers” when he’s just sharing what he thought. You can also see by his following posts that he’s clearly getting angry messages. It doesn’t make sense.

People weren’t calling him out for what you were referring to. I also see no reason he’d lie about what Horcoff thought of the situation though.

21. Visually better says:

Protagonist,

No Thibs is gone, he will be coaching the T wolves and Andrew Wiggins this year.

You’re telling me.. They got absolutely hosed on the return Aswell. I don’t believe many Chicago bulls fans watch the oilers or the NHL at all but collective thought is that management is the reason they are struggling so bad and can’t put all the talent they have had into a championship… Of course my two favourite teams have been run by absolute baphoons

22. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Just catching up on the thread today and reading every comment. I have to say I was guessing what Hump Day for the most exciting/frightening week of the year for Oiler fans would look like and this thread pretty much nails it.

Friday cannot come soon enough.

23. Chachi says:

LMHF#1: Nitpicking on a guy and then spelling his name wrong is weak…but also funny! That’s why I attempted a light-hearted barb.

24. ashley says:

Huh, still nothing going on. For all the chatter in April about this potentially being the biggest trade year ever – so much so that trades would likely happen during the playoffs. But nothing significant happened in the playoffs.

Then PIT wins the cup and everyone holds their breath, waiting for it to begin. Then……….nothing. Now, we are two days shy of picking a good but undeveloped talent at 4th overall who will find his way to a junior team next year while we go into the second precious CMD entry level deal year with an unbalanced roster.

I’m not usually the person pining for trades, but if there was ever a time, this would be the time to balance things out. Without a cap, we could be patient. With the cap, the clock is ticking before we are in Hawks land every Spring with this roster. We should try to win something before that starts.

The biggest news all week came today with Lucic going to free agency which is sort of a sad statement of affairs.

Maybe it all happens on draft day. Maybe I’ll skip the LT tour tomorrow and just check in on Friday.

25. Professor Q says:

ashley:
    Huh, still nothing going on.For all the chatter in April about this potentially being the biggest trade year ever – so much so that trades would likely happen during the playoffs. But nothing significant happened in the playoffs.

Then PIT wins the cup and everyone holds their breath, waiting for it to begin.Then……….nothing.Now, we are two days shy of picking a good but undeveloped talent at 4th overall who will find his way to a junior team next year while we go into the second precious CMD entry level deal year with an unbalanced roster.

I’m not usually the person pining for trades, but if there was ever a time, this would be the time to balance things out.Without a cap, we could be patient.With the cap, the clock is ticking before we are in Hawks land every Spring with this roster.We should try to win something before that starts.

Maybe it all happens on draft day.Maybe I’ll skip the LT tour tomorrow and just check in on Friday.

There have been a few trades already.

26. TheOrangeDesk says:

“the las vegas franchise must select 20 players who are under contract for 2017/2018”

This gives a lot of incentive for teams to keep players unsigned until after expansion draft.
    So, if a team waits to sign a “yakupov” for example, Las Vegas may not pick him due to vegas only being able to select 10 unsigned players, RFA or UFA….

27. Jordan says:

When I look at PLD, I see a player a lot like Leon. Big, skilled, good speed – might need to work on skating at next level.

There are a lot of teams who would love to have Leon.

He had a fantastic first half of the season, and feel off a cliff for the second.

Do we know which half was the “real” Leon Draisatl?

I don’t.

If his value is higher than that of the 4th overall (don’t know, but it’s possible) I would consider moving Leon, drafting PLD at 4, and bringing in a replacement C/RW for a few years.

This might also help to bring in that other RH top 9 C we need.

I don’t know if that’s a smart play, but it’s probably something worth considering – If you think PLD can become what we saw from Leon in the first half of 15/16 season.

28. Jaxon says:

Rules approved by BOG today:

Also Edmonton will play LV either 4 or 5 times. They will be in the Pacific. Probably 4 times as they will likely play Arizona 5 times and one of the Cali teams 5 times.

They will enter the next draft lottery as though they finished 3rd last.

LV contracts must add up to at least 60% of $73.1M

29. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Chachi: Yes, your lighthearted barb was hilarious! I am still laughing! Good to know that pointing out when someone says something demonstrably false is nitpicking. If he wants to be taken seriously, and he may not care either way, he should not get such a simple fact wrong. Kind of like screwing up Horcoff’s name!

When in doubt, just steal from Wooguy’s autobiography and blame your phone.

30. LMHF#1 says:

Never mind.

31. Chachi says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: When in doubt, just steal from Wooguy’s autobiography and blame your phone.

A phone made out of oak seemed like such a good idea at the time!

32. LMHF#1 says:

Is there anything in the rules we can see that prohibits a team from trading something to Vegas so that they select a certain player in the expansion draft?

33. Jaxon says:

Player Exposure Requirements
    * All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club’s protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club’s player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

34. Water Fire says:

Jaxon: Rules approved by BOG today:

They will enter the next draft lottery as though they finished 3rd last.

Finally a worthy tank competitor.

Kiltymcbagpipes: Could be. What do we do the following year when Quebec comes into the league? (Rhetorical)

Caronlina has a roster already.

🙂

36. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy, dammit. Wooguy would be his Casanova alter-ego.

“Hello ladies. Can I interest you in some teak?”
    “I’m kind of a big deal. My place smells of rich mahogany.”
    “I am not always indigent, but when I am, I blame my phone.”

37. Магия 10 says:

Jaxon: * Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club’s player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League

They covered AF 3 different ways. This plus not continuing and player waiver.

38. npanciroli says:

McDavid and Nurse don’t need to be protected.
    Ference’s contract over and doesn’t need to be protected.
    Draisaitl needs to be protected.

This is what we all assumed, does it line up with the rules now that we have them?

39. Магия 10 says:

npanciroli:
    McDavid and Nurse don’t need to be protected.
    Ference’s contract over and doesn’t need to be protected.
    Draisaitl needs to be protected.

(And any GM’s should plan on that basis even if they won’t have LT’s anniversary edition of the rules for another year).

Tarkus: We’d be on more models than Rod Stewart.

*strong Weiser clap*

41. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Магия 10: Yes

shoulda coulda woulda Draisaitl after 9 games. Unlucky that a bad decision then becomes even worse now.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Woodguy, dammit. Wooguy would be his Casanova alter-ego.

“Hello ladies. Can I interest you in some teak?”
    “I’m kind of a big deal. My place smells of rich mahogany.”
    “I am not always indigent, but when I am, I blame my phone.”

I agree with all of this

43. Jaxon says:

Maybe they should only play Klefbom in 39 games this season so they don’t have to protect him or expose him. Any other 39 games candidates? Just five Korpikoski the required amount of games. Haha.

44. flea says:

Here is my list based on the current team – going 4-4-1 as this seems to be the Oilers MO based on Stauffer

Exempt – McDavid, Nurse, 2016 1st Rounder

Forwards – Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Draisaitl
    Defense: Sekera, Klefbom, Davidson, FA/Trade from this draft
    Goalie – Talbot

Exposed: Pouliot, Maroon, Letestu, Kassian (UFA), Hendricks (UFA), Lander (UFA), Korpse (UFA) Pakarinen, Fayne, Reinhart, Osterle, Broissoit

45. Younger Oil says:

I don’t think PK is even on the market, let alone being shopped.

Donates $10M to local hospital only to be traded a year later?

Not happening.

46. Магия 10 says:

Western Conference (Pacific Division – 8 Teams)

Within Conference (Division): 29 games
    * 6 Teams: 2 Home / 2 Away
    * 1(*) Team: 3 Home / 2 Away
    * 6 x 4 = 24 games
    * 1 x 5 = 5 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 21 games
    * 4(*) Teams: 2 Home / 1 Away
    * 3(*) Teams: 1 Home / 2 Away
    * 4 x 3 = 12 games
    * 3 x 3 = 9 games

Non-Conference: 32 games
    * 16 Home / 16 Away
    * 2 x 16 = 32 games

(*) The home/away splits listed here must reverse as needed. Some years the home games would include 15 in division and 10 out. Other years 14 in division and 11 out.

47. wheatnoil says:

The NHL expects to open a window where the Las Vegas team can make trades/transactions before expansion draft. That's never happened before.— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) June 22, 2016

48. Магия 10 says:

Jaxon:
    Maybe they should only play Klefbom in 39 games this season so they don’t have to protect him or expose him.Any other 39 games candidates? Just five Korpikoski the required amount of games.Haha.

Klef is already expansion draft eligible. So is Reinhart. Nothing to do with NHL games played.

49. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ducey: Sam Gagner blew PLD out of the water as a junior, and also has no blood with pedigree.

I guess that’s better.

Bingo. Gagner is an outlier, pure and simple.

PLD might be better. I think he probably is.

If this message board existed, and I was my age now back then, and analytics gave me reason to, I probably could have been convinced that Steve Kelly was better than Shane Doan. Doan played for a much better team after all (only difference here is that Kelly and Doan are the same age and played in the same league).

In all likelihood one of MT or PLD ends up being 5% better than the other guy. In the long run it won’t be the difference between this team being good or continuing to be terrible.

50. Магия 10 says:

Younger Oil:
    I don’t think PK is even on the market, let alone being shopped.

Donates $10M to local hospital only to be traded a year later?

Not happening.

Strongly Doubt Subban is moving,

But if they get an offer they want more than PK the NMC kicking is more relevant than PK’s philanthropy.

Also if it’s about the love of the local market there is as mentioned earlier the 4th pick Dubois angle in a bigger package.

51. wheatnoil says:

wheatnoil: Let the shenanigans begin! Expect the Vegas to get a few extra draft picks in exchange for the “future considerations” of not picking the obvious choice. Then taking those extra draft picks, turning around and trading for real players / prospects a little further along.

Thinking on it further, here would be my strategy if I was Vegas:
    1) Trade for draft picks in exchange for not selecting specific players (maybe get an extra 4 or 5 this way).
    2) At the draft, trade extra draft picks for NHL hockey players.
    3) Then trade NHL hockey players (they’ll have an excess since they’re picking 30 and most will be non-waiver eligible) for unsigned prospects or guys on ELCs. They won’t have any of those when they start otherwise (it’ll be a weird organizational depth chart with only non-ELC players and new picks with no one in the pipeline in between).
    4) Raid undrafted UFAs from the CHL, NCAA, and Europe to fill in your AHL roster.
    5) Aggressively sign in free agency and then unload any extra players the free agents are replacing for more prospects.

52. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

I really think there is a strong possibility Lucic signs here and if he does, that rumoured Hall for Hamonic++ would be awfully tempting.

Edit: I know I know…shut my whore mouth!

53. Магия 10 says:

flea: Based on the list above, it actually makes more sense to do the 7-3-1 – but if the Oilers move one of their core guys that are protected for a d man, then the 4-4-1 makes sense

Yes. That’s exactly what I mean by factor expansion in as an extra capology consideration. If a specific move exposes a player whose value is closer to your last protected player than to the already unprotected players, just factor that it into the net trade cost. That is all.

54. Kitchener says:

Water Fire,

Ha!

Props to the league for publishing the rules ahead the draft.

55. Магия 10 says:

Kiltymcbagpipes:

Edit: I know I know…shut my whore mouth!

Get off my lawn… with extreme predjudice

56. Магия 10 says:

Kitchener:
    Water Fire,

Ha!

Props to the league for publishing the rules ahead the draft.

LT speaks from experience:

Rule 1. They won’t publish the actual rules until the day before the draft.
    Rule 2. When they publish the actual rules see Rule 1.

57. Doug McLachlan says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

What if the play is to get Lucic without trading one of the Austins?

If a home can be found for Pouliot, Lucic would not be too expensive an add.

The Oilers have $12M in cap space (not including bonuses – true) but that still gives room (along with the LTIR plan for Ference) to add Lucic and one or two dmen.

58. Ducey says:

For all those people that consider age of draft picks:

Matthews is 2 days away from being in last year’s draft. He is just 9 months younger than McDavid.

59. Магия 10 says:

Seen on twitter:

Bentley Nathan ‏@bentleynathan1 2h2 hours ago
    @itwasthreezero which chiarelli move will be worse, signing lucic to a 6×6 or trading taylor hall?

These options are alas not mutually exclusive.

60. Магия 10 says:

Ducey:
    For all those people that consider age of draft picks:

He would have been 3rd in last year’s draft whether he was the youngest or oldest player.

61. Caramel Batman says:

I’m starting to enjoy Kilty. He’s an excellent approximation of how I believe an actual NHL general manager thinks.

62. Kitchener says:

Why would the Edmonton Oilers, a team with great forwards and few defensemen, even remotely consider a 4-4-1 protection instead of 7-3-1? 7-3-1 was made for the Oilers. Heck, bring on the 9-1-1.

If only Edmonton had a logjam at LD to deal with as well… That would bait Las Vegas to choose a LD from our area of strength instead of a RD where we currently have no one of note. Wait a sec…

7-3-1 unless there’s a helluva turnover between now and then.

63. Seismic Source says:

So can Lucic’s rights be traded for if Lombo gave permission? Why wouldn’t he trade the rights for something?

Get out of there Pete it’s a trap.

64. Магия 10 says:

Kitchener:
    Why would the Edmonton Oilers, a team with great forwards and few defensemen, even remotely consider a 4-4-1 protection instead of 7-3-1?7-3-1 was made for the Oilers.Heck, bring on the 9-1-1.

If only Edmonton had a logjam at LD to deal with as well…That would bait Las Vegas to choose a LD from our area of strength instead of a RD where we currently have no one of note.Wait a sec…

7-3-1 unless there’s a helluva turnover between now and then.

4-4-1, 7-3-1, 8-2-1, 9-1-1 and 10-0-1 are all allowed.

Yeah a lot can change over the summer, trade deadline, player development and post playoff trades. Davidson would not have been on anyone’s list if we were doing this last year. He might not be on anyone’s list next year depending on who comes in and how quickly other D develop.

65. Doug McLachlan says:

Seismic Source,

Good for the GM who actually will get Lucic too as they now enter the draft knowing that they will have him or not.

So Hall and #4 for Lucic and Doughty?

66. Ducey says:

Seismic Source:

Get out of there Pete it’s a trap.

Lombardi gave permission to all other GM’s to talk to Lucic. There would be no reason to trade for his rights if you can talk to him. Would there?

67. Магия 10 says:

Seismic Source:

Get out of there Pete it’s a trap.

Lucic is being allowed to talk to other teams 3 days early. That benefits LA if it brings Lucic back to the table before LA makes other moves or if someone wants to pay a 5th or something to get Lucic’s ink on paper early on account of other moves they’ll make as a result.

68. Seismic Source says:

Ducey,

That’s what I’m saying. Why not deal it for 4th or 5th and walk away as opposed to just walking away?

Just seems odd

69. Магия 10 says:

Doug McLachlan: His rights could be traded but by giving teams a chance to start the conversations now, Lombardi is actually in a position to get full value. Smart call.

Full value. Not a chance. A transaction fee to facilitate other plans. Yes.

70. flea says:

Магия 10: 4-4-1, 7-3-1, 8-2-1, 9-1-1 and 10-0-1 are all allowed.

I could see the Oilers using the 4-4-1. It’s not like the bottom of their forwards is mega quality or anything. They stand to lose Maroon or Pouliot from the forwards (barring trades). My guess is it’s going to be Reinhart or Briossoit that gets lost. But losing one of their precious few defence men could be devastating.

71. Seismic Source says:

Магия 10,

I dunno,

A handshake saves losing a pick in this situation. Is there an example of this that plays out in LAs favor in recent history? It’s an odd call to make.

72. JDï™ says:

Ducey: There would be no reason to trade for his rights if you can talk to him. Would there?

If you own his rights you can make it an 8 yr deal!

73. Chachi says:

“Hello ladies. Can I interest you in some teak?”
    “I’m kind of a big deal. My place smells of rich mahogany.”
    “I am not always indigent, but when I am, I blame my phone.”

“I can get you the best quality hardwood flooring at prices below cost!”

74. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

flea:

My guess is it’s going to be Reinhart or Briossoit that gets lost.

The Vegas team is going to have lots of goaltending options. I don’t see them using one on Brossoit.

If the draft were today (it’s not) they would have established options like Halak, up and comers like Calvin Pickard, etc. On top of that they can get a goalie off the UFA market, so I don’t imagine they’d take more than 2 goalies in the expansion draft.

They might very well end up with 8 second pairing Dmen though. No stars, but lots of depth. It will be an interesting team for sure.

75. Seismic Source says:

Also,

I don’t want to sign Lucic for 6 years but I’d hate either Calgary or Vancouver getting him just as much, knowing they both probably have boners right now,

Kitchener:

7-3-1 unless there’s a helluva turnover between now and then.

Pouliot or Maroon is a lot more replaceable than Davidson, which is why one goes 8 and 1 vs 7, 3, and 1.

Plua the Oilers will have Tkachuk (or better Dubois) playing one more year in the AHL ready to replace Pouliot or Maroon.

The OIlers really only have 4 forwards worth protecting….Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, and Draisaitl. Everyone else is easily replaceable. Finding replacement D is hard.

77. spoiler says:

St. Louis hasn’t given the same permission LA gave Lucic to Shattenkirk. Now Shatty isn’t a UFA this year, but they could give teams permission to see if they can get an extension done, if the Blues so desired.

I’m wondering if Shattenkirk might be an end of the summer thing like Boychuk.

78. Магия 10 says:

Seismic Source:
    Магия 10,

I dunno,

Good question. Same situation as all UFA will be in June 25. The week before July 1 is fairly new. Anyone recall if negotiating rights have been traded in the new week before July 1?

79. Магия 10 says:

flea: I don’t think so, the options are 8 skaters or 7 forwards, 3 defenseman and 1 goalie.

You are correct. Only 4-4-1 and 7-3-1.

80. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

spoiler:
    St. Louis hasn’t given the same permission LA gave Lucic to Shattenkirk.Now Shatty isn’t a UFA this year, but they could give teams permission to see if they can get an extension done, if the Blues so desired.

I’m wondering if Shattenkirk might be an end of the summer thing like Boychuk.

Giving Shatty permission to speak to other teams when he has one more year on his contract doesn’t make much sense, does it? Why limit the number of teams that *might* make a play for him. You could wind up with a Rangers and Yandle situation where a team takes a risk. Yes, perhaps someone like Chia comes up with a truly strong offer IF Shattenkirk is willing to re-sign. At that point you can quietly grant permission. But until then, granting him permission to speak with other teams when he has a year left doesn’t strengthen Armstrong’s position at all.

On the other hand, Lucic, well, Lombardi maybe offered him $5M x 4. Lucic can now go out and talk to other teams. Let’s say Vancouver, Edmonton, and a couple of other teams are all players and offering something around $6M x 6. Lucic is comfortable signing with any of those 2 or 3 teams. Now Lombardi can still go and ask for a pick from them to have them jump to the front of the queue a la Arizona and Goligoski. Or, let’s say no team wants to go 6 years. Best deal is 5 x $5.5M. Lucic may come back to Lombardi and tell him. Lombardi goes to a fifth year and $5.25M and Lucic decides to stay after all because none of the other teams offer West Coast convenience + playoff contention and a “going for it now” window.

81. Магия 10 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Or, let’s say no team wants to go 6 years. Best deal is 5 x $5.5M. Lucic may come back to Lombardi and tell him. Lombardi goes to a fifth year and $5.25M and Lucic decides to stay after all because none of the other teams offer West Coast convenience + playoff contention and a “going for it now” window.

In that scenario the one advantage for Lombardi is that Lucic *might* come back 3 days earlier because he started talking 3 days earlier.

82. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Yes, perhaps someone like Chia comes up with a truly strong offer IF Shattenkirk is willing to re-sign. At that point you can quietly grant permission. But until then, granting him permission to speak with other teams when he has a year left doesn’t strengthen Armstrong’s position at all.

How can you grant permission at the point of Chia coming up with a strong offer if Shattenkirk is willing to re-sign? Permission would be needed to get to that point and as you rightly point out it is likely to improve the offer the Blues would get. They would not be hurting themselves by going this route.

The only real question is timing and when the Blues want to deal with this. With the off-season overage maybe they feel they can stretch this out, get Backes re-signed and see how the cookie crumbles. Or maybe this is an indicator that they don’t plan on re-signing Backes.

83. "Steve Smith" says:

Jordan:
    When I look at PLD, I see a player a lot like Leon.Big, skilled, good speed – might need to work on skating at next level.

There are a lot of teams who would love to have Leon.

Do we know which half was the “real” Leon Draisatl?

I don’t.

This might also help to bring in that other RH top 9 C we need.

This is where I find myself as well, approximately – I think Draisaitl and Nurse may have the highest ratio of perceived value to actual value, and might therefore be the best pieces to move. Of course, in making that assessment, I’m speculating somewhat as to how other GMs see Oilers’ players. But neither Draisaitl nor Nurse is presently a sure thing, but they both have the kind of draft pedigree and tools that I think probably make them valuable on the trade market.

84. Protagonist says:

Магия 10: You are correct. Only 4-4-1 and 7-3-1.

85. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

spoiler: How can you grant permission at the point of Chia coming up with a strong offer if Shattenkirk is willing to re-sign?Permission would be needed to get to that point and as you rightly point out it is likely to improve the offer the Blues would get.They would not be hurting themselves by going this route.

The only real question is timing and when the Blues want to deal with this.With the off-season overage maybe they feel they can stretch this out, get Backes re-signed and see how the cookie crumbles.Or maybe this is an indicator that they don’t plan on re-signing Backes.

Chia: “I want Shatty and I will give you #4 overall, but only if he is willing to consider signing here. I am not going to give that up if he wants to go East in a year.”

Armstrong: “Let me get back to you.”

Armstrong goes and shops around, does not get a better offer.

Armstrong: “Hey Kevin, the Oilers want to trade for you. We both know I don’t have the money to re-sign you. They’ve given me the best offer out there, but they are worried you want to go home in a year to New York. So they will only trade for you if you would consider working on an extension with them soon after the trade. What say you?”

——–
    This is a scenario where permission is not granted until an offer is on the table. Granting permission for an open-ended discussion on Shattenkirk is not beneficial to Armstrong. Someone dumb like the Rangers could come along like they did with Yandle, and without having the pieces in place or the plan in place to re-sign him, they may make the strongest offer. If you grant permission to Shattenkirk to speak to other teams you pretty much a) guarantee he will be moved this summer (what if the Blues want to go for it one more year this year and then can make a decision at the trade deadline on Shattenkirk), b) limits the number of teams in the conversation. This eliminates the dumb team possibility like the Rangers.

It’s not comparable to the Lucic situation for those reasons. Armstrong has way more options because Shattenkirk is under contract for another year. He doesn’t have to do anything this summer if the offers aren’t strong.

86. gogliano says:

Ducey:
    For all those people that consider age of draft picks:

I think there is close to zero doubt that McDavid and and Jack Eichel would be 1-2 in a draft that combined both the ’15 and ’16 draft classes. There isn’t enough mention of Matthews’ age. Laine might be the better player going forward (I’d put money on it) and age is where that conversation starts. Matthews is a nice prospect but last year was the year to draft at the top of the draft.

Thrilled that Toronto is drafting him rather than McDavid.

87. Магия 10 says:

Protagonist: I didn’t read it like that at all. I read it’s 8 skaters (of any number or variety) + Goalie or 7-3-1. So you could go 7 forwards, one D-Man and a goaltender.

Yes you can have any mix of 8 skaters (even 8 D and no forwards)

But 7-1-1 (or 6-2-0 or 5-3-0) is pretty silly when you are allowed 7-3-1. 😉

88. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

On another note…

I said this before and I will say it again. The very best “sell high” asset on the Oilers right now is 4th overall. It has PEAK value when CBJ makes its pick or trades it. At that point you have the maximum leverage on that asset.

Let’s play a little trading game, like the stock market and inflated or deflated asset values.

If I were to rank pieces that are around on the Oilers in terms of perceived value relative to actual value, it goes something like this. And HUGE DISCLAIMER: I am not saying you should trade Klef, #4 or Leon or Nurse or anyone. I am saying that these are assets where perceived value MAY be > actual value in the long run.

The category of: you MAY win a trade with another GM on these assets because they are highly valued relative to what they have proven in the NHL.

1) 4th overall (perceived value is highest relative to likely value once the pick is made)
    2) Oscar Klefbom (perceived value is high because of top pairing results in a very small sample size, bargain contract. Why *might *he be overvalued by the league? Injury risk and small sample sizes may mean he doesn’t turn into a top pairing guy long-term after all).
    3) Leon Draisaitl (perceived value is high relative because of size and 40-game run with Hall, still on ELC, and potential. Why *might* he be overvalued by the league? Hall-Nuge-Leon ripped the League a new one on their run together. Maybe he tops out in terms of point-production away from that combo. We don’t know. Question marks remain due to sample size)
    4) Darnell Nurse (perceived value is medium high relative because of size, gritensity, skating, draft pedigree, athletic bloodlines. He still has high value around the League even though he *may* never become more than a modern Jason Smith while he may be valued as a young, future stud).
    5) Patrick Maroon (perceived value is higher than his actual probably value because of his impossible-to-repeat shooting percentage and point surge playing with McDavid on a small sample size. He is more likely a good 3LW, not a Pouliot-level top 6 option).

Here we move into “close to fairly valued” No reason to trade these two.
    5) Taylor Hall
    6) Connor McDavid

Here we move into “likely undervalued” –don’t trade from this pile unless you get a surprisingly strong offer, because it is likely the League doesn’t value these guys as much as they should.

7) Jordan Eberle. (perceived value is lower than his actual value because people harp on his lack of commitment to D. Hardest thing to do in the game is score goals. Ederle does it. Undervalued. Why isn’t he more undervalued? Because $6M is full value for what he brings. If his contract were cheaper he would be more undervalued.
    8) Nuge (perceived value is lower than his actual value due to injuries and his plateauing offense. Because he hasn’t become the 70-point 2-way guy we hoped he would be (yet) perception has soured on him–the recent Sporting News piece had him going 7th in a redraft. Yeah right. He is still a top-3 talent in that draft. Undervalued.
    9) Pouliot (perceived value is low. The guy is a possession monster and brings a lot of good aspects to his game. He gets devalued because of very visible offensive zone penalties and a GM that doesn’t seem to like him (also in Boston). He also gets hurt every year. I could see him being moved for very little coming the other way, and a team could buy low on him nicely.
    10) Yakupov (perceived value is rock bottom. Would he fetch a couple of 2nds at this point? Apparently not. We know why he has been devalued. His play, his circumstances, his trade request. He won’t bring much back in a trade. He still has some upside and my become a 25-goal man one day on another team. If a team gets him for a song at this point, they have low risk and high reward.
    11) Reinhart (perceived value is low. He came in and struggled. People dump on him because of the price paid to acquire him. He wouldn’t fetch close to what was paid for him in a trade now, so his value is very low relative to what he was worth a year ago. A good year spent in the NHL and building his game could rehab his value).

Your currency may vary. Again, I am not saying you should trade from Pile 1 and not from Pile 3 or anything, but if you were strictly trying to follow the principle of sell high / buy low, Pile 1 is in the possible sell high category, Pile 3 is in the buy low category. If I were another team’s GM and I was looking to deal with Chia, I would be bargain-hunting from Pile 3. Would love me a Pouliot for a pick, and Yak for a song.

89. Protagonist says:

Panarin wins Calder. *Sigh*

90. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I see what you mean now. I didn’t catch that because I think that better offer goes without saying… and I don’t see how it would ever be beat by a team which has no plan in place, or happy with just a rental. That’s betting on a lot of stupidity. And its likely Army already knows the market value of Shattenkirk w/o the discussions taking place. If he opens Shatty to discussions, he is creating competition for those upper end offers…rather than going back to the one team in your scenario. IMO that’s the best route to take.

91. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

spoiler:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I see what you mean now.I didn’t catch that because I think that better offer goes without saying… and I don’t see how it would ever be beat by a team which has no plan in place, or happy with just a rental.That’s betting on a lot of stupidity.And its likely Army already knows the market value of Shattenkirk w/o the discussions taking place.If he opens Shatty to discussions, he is creating competition for those upper end offers…rather than going back to the one team in your scenario. IMO that’s the best route to take.

Well, you never know. The Rangers gave up Duclair, Moore and a 1st for Yandle without that assurance and you never know how crazy teams may get without assurances.

92. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Caramel Batman:
    I’m starting to enjoy Kilty.He’s an excellent approximation of how I believe an actual NHL general manager thinks.

Who said I wasn’t one? 😉

Clearly you are being sarcastic but that’s cool u made me laugh.

For the record I do like the idea of signing Lucic as I believe he would add an element to this team that has been sorely lacking. However, I do not like anything more than 5 years or $6 Mill per and I do not like the idea of moving Hall now. All I was saying was it would be tempting if I were Chiarelli and that rumoured deal was on the table. I would much rather sign Lucic and move Pouliot out followed closely by Yakupov and Eberle if need be to get the necessary RHD. The market though may be much higher for a good RHD. We don’t know the true market unless we are on the phones with the other GM’s.

So if Chia thinks that’s what it is going to take to get a guy like Hamonic based on the market, it would be tempting if u knew u already had Lucic on board. Much rather get Savard and keep Hall or trade #4 as much as I like Tkachuk for Dman and draft Sergachev.

Chachi: “I can get you the best quality hardwood flooring at prices below cost!”

I may say it’s below cost.

But it’s rarely below cost.

« Older Comments