This post represents the final look at the 2016 entry draft. I made copious (didn’t really, just don’t get a chance to say copious in these modern times) notes during the draft and wanted to pass them along—along with some of your comments. If I didn’t quote you, promise to next time and thanks for being part of the fun. Here goes:
- 4pm—I am listening to the radio, and they are talking about trade rumors. Edmonton has No. 4 overall and may trade down to grab a defensemen who can help right away. I am fine with that, but want to make sure the club stays in the top 10.
- 4:38pm—HAGS9K: Stay strong tonight LT nation. Remember whatever happens, we still have McDavid and we still have scotch.
- 4:41pm—SPOILER posts a tweet from Lou Korac: Source: #stlblues and #oilers in talks about Shattenkirk. Oilers offering Nugent-Hopkins; Blues asking price: Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle.
- 4:43PM—Oddspell: My heart is racing and I’m squirming in my seat.This team will be the death of me and they’re not even playing.
- 4:45pm—I find a television and now reports have Peter Chiarelli, Brad Treliving and Jarmo Kekalainen. Could it be? Dougie Hamilton! Ladislav Smid! Ack! WHY does my mind do this! Think Dougie Hamilton.
- 4:50pm—Reports now that Chiarelli has left the building. Great. Now he thinks he’s Elvis! Moustache trims wait for no man, apparently.
- 4:50pm—I posted a Jeremy Rutherford tweet: Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford 2m2 minutes ago Buffalo, NY—I’ve been reporting a return on Shattenkirk would be picks/prospect. They could get an established player but likely rules out Backes return.
1. Beer – check
2. Bendelson draft list – check
3. Optimism – check
4. Dogs (to keep me grounded) – check, check
5. Crying towel – nope (see #3)
6. More beer – check
Ready to go.
- 5:00pm—The television opener anticipates something but lacks specifics. TV is awful at pretending they don’t know when they do, so I assume crickets because they are rambling. We are coming down to Tkachuk versus Dubois for Edmonton.
- 5:08pm—SPOILER posts a Bob McKenzie tweet:Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 2m2 minutes ago: There is talk on the draft floor, as yet unconfirmed, that CBJ prospect Sonny Milano has been traded.
- 5:10pm—Gary Bettman probably gets booed driving by arenas in mid-summer, but he hangs in there I will give him that much. The only thing he has ever done that I would have liked to do? Hand Z the Stanley.
- 5:11pm—Drew: nothing stupid, nothing stupid, nothing stupid, nthing stoopid, tnithsd stoopidsnur!
- 5:12pm—JonK: I admit the booing of Bettman makes me giggle a little. Haha.
- 5:20pm—NYC OIL Gentleman Backpacker: Lou: “first pick of the 216 draft” We are going waaaaaaaay back.
- 5:23pm—Stevezie (after two Montreal trades) Montreal is smarter than i hoped.
- 5:27pm—speeds: When Bettman started with Eller, I thought he might be slow-playing the first part of a Subban trade!
- 5:29pm—Lowetide: Well, we are about to see something. Or nothing.
- 5:30pm—SPOILER: Christ, Laine is going to be auditioning for The New Kojak series before he’s 21. How does he feel about lollipops?
- 5:30pm—V4ANCE posts a tweet: Aaron Portzline @Aportzline now
Now things get interesting. #CBJ on the clock shortly, with rampant speculation that a trade is in the offing.
- 5:37pm—After an array of posts surrounding Dubois to Columbus, Smellyglove posts: Just walk up Chia!!!! Just walk up and take the Finn. Fix the D with something else, or go incremental.
- 5:38pm—Ice Sage: LOL now watch Oilers pick Tkachuk
- 5:38pm—Asiaoil: PLD is a beast – so glad he is out of our division. JP is a RW – perfect.
- 5:39pm—Skidplate: Frick Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 5:43pm—Oil In The Peg: NICE! WHO WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ALL ALONG! LOTTERY BE DARMNED!
- 5:43pm—Woodguy: MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
Items to watch moving forward with Puljujarvi:
– ability to stick-handle in tight
– placing passes onto the tape
– hard shot with several types
Big fast winger for McDavid moving forward?
Jesse Puljujärvi's reaction to Pierre-Luc Dubois being picked ahead of him pic.twitter.com/bHHXT0EmoA
— CJ Fogler (@cjzero) June 24, 2016
- 5:48pm—Crazy Coach: This is awesome! Every Oilers legend needs a Finn playing the Right side!
- 5:55pm—Lowetide: Very pleased with this pick. Also pleased to know the CBJ had Dubois ahead of Tkachuk (as my list suggested).
- 5:57pm—Todd McCallan: I see Hossa. Wide range of skills. Absolutely cannot believe we got him.
Kent Wilson @Kent_Wilson 25m25 minutes ago
And EDM gets Puljujarvi. Of course.
I am an ass for posting this, because Kent is a really nice guy.
- 6:07pm—Swedish Poster: Puljujärvis grandfather is a legendary in the fishing community of Älvkarleby. He’s also a RW(who Håkan Andersson thinks will look even better as a C due to his elite vision and hands). Puljujärvi is a great add to the Oilers, he’s not quite at the level of Laine, Matthews at this very moment but I’d argue his upside could very well be higher due to him having a wider array of skills. I’ve been beating his drum for a while now. He’s still physically immature so I truly hope the Oil don’t screw up his developement by counting on him to be a contributer from day one.
- 6:09pm—Kmart99: Cant wait for the Oilers to just shove him in to the NHL this year and wonder why it didn’t work out.
- 5:48am—Sumoil: I feel TML will take debrincat. They are smart now.
- 5:48am—Lowetide: For me, I am fine with a goalie at some point today. I wonder if they grab one early, and then push for Cs, RHDs and power wingers. I hope we continue the trend toward skill that began last year.
- 8:18am—Jon R McLeod:
Edmonton selects Tyler Benson. A local kid who was a premium prospect for years prior to several injuries this year. Has significant upside.
Could be a case of buying low that ends up working out.
- 8:20am—Tarkus posts Jason Gregor tweet:
Jason Gregor @JasonGregor 5m5 minutes ago
When Klefbom was skating in Edmonton last week. Benson skated with him. Oilers did thorough diagnosis of Benson’s health and skill. #Oilers
- 8:31am—PDO: Love this pick. Groin injuries are rarely chronic and he would’ve gone way higher if not for one. Great 12 hours!
- 8:33am—PunjabiOil: Happy re Benson for the reasons Woodguy alluded to. I wanted ADB however many analytic based teams (Toronto, Florida, Phoenix) all passed on him. Not every small player projects to translate. See St. Croix, Michael. See Weal, Jordan. That’s where scouting projection comes in.
- 8:33am—Raider Jesse: People DON”T like this pick? I’m actually shocked. He’s an ultra offensive player, whose not particularly large. If he’s not hurt almost all of last year, I’d be surprised if he dropped past 20. This is not an “Oilers” pick. This is who the Oilers used to pass on.
- 9:08am—DoritoGrande on Niemelainen selection: You hammered this player type this year. It’s too bad the Oilers don’t share your feelings, but we’ll give him 5 years.
- 9:11am—Ben: LT: Any particular rationale for having him so much lower than other draft reports/McKenzie?
- 9:13am—Lowetide: My list punishes lack of offense. Same as Hajek and a few others. Does not mean he has terrible value, but my list loves offense.
- 9:28am—DoritoGrande after Cairns selection: I think LT has conditioned us with his year-long draft coverage and his preferences (he’s not a scout guys, just a very passionate fan) that a lot of people have adopted his feelings as doctrine. These picks aren’t coming out of left field (handedness pun intended). They’re in the range with the scout consensus picks. Thanks for all you do LT, just my opinion.
- 9:34am—NYC Oil Gentleman Backpacker after Berglund selection: So is Berglund also a Chiarelli defenseman? I am just saying I think Chia isn’t Tambo and he respects skating on the back end. Some mix of sizes all around. Boston, too. Seidenberg, Krug, Boychuk, Chara, that is a lot of variety.
- 9:34am—Centre of Attention: Love this pick. I forgive them for adding to the leftorium now with the other 3rd rounders. Have to think they cull the lefty herd, by the way. So many lefties.
- 9:34am—Swedish Poster (who was phenomenal all winter and spring with info on Euro kids): Well, I’ve got some scouting cred on the line here so he better turns out.
- 10:13am—Centre of Attention after Dylan Wells selection:
OHL Prospects @BrockOtten 10m10 minutes ago
Dylan Wells goes to Edmonton. Great pick. Massive potential. Had a very tough year but has everything you look for in an NHL goalie today.
From Brock himself.
His Hlinka and Super series is encouraging.
- 10:14am—Mr. Debakey: I’m guessing he would’ve been available at 183.
- 10:16am—Stephen Sheps:Wells was the backup to Matt Mancina for the last 2 seasons.
Of note, Mancina put up a .910 sv% and a 2.97GAA in front of the same mediocre Petes team.
They were better last season than they were in 14/15 (the year I lived there)I saw him bad when I lived in Peterborough.
While this is clearly the worst scouting report ever posted on this blog, the numbers clearly match my uninformed eye test.He may have looked good in a couple tournaments of small sample size, but he has not been consistent in his 2 years in Peterborough. Now that Mancina has aged out, it appears as though it’s Wells’ crease this upcoming season. Hopefully he builds on his Hlinka experience and turns his junior career around.
- 10:33am—DoriroGrande on McPhee selection: McPhee top end? Maybe Jason Zucker?
- 10:41am—Fifth Cartel on Rasanen selection: Honestly I’ve been pretty ok with every pick save for Wells.
- 10:43am—Rondo: Oilers have done well in this draft . Good value picks all over.
- 10:47am—James L: “Harvest Moon” is one of my favorite and most anticipated LT posts all year. Thanks, LT, for all your hard work!
- 11:03am—Caramel Batman: Every pick should be a pick like this. Wasting picks on goalie’s with bad numbers and big D who aren’t even in a major junior league is what galls. It is so unnecessary.
- 1:49pm—John Chambers on the Desharnais selection: I could see that something was obstructing his breathing. I looked down into the eye of the big fish. Mammal. Whatever.
- Lots of great comments in Harvest Moon as well.
And that completes the draft coverage for another year. Thanks for reading!