2016 DRAFT FIN(N)

This post represents the final look at the 2016 entry draft. I made copious (didn’t really, just don’t get a chance to say copious in these modern times) notes during the draft and wanted to pass them along—along with some of your comments. If I didn’t quote you, promise to next time and thanks for being part of the fun. Here goes:

FRIDAY NIGHT

• 4pm—I am listening to the radio, and they are talking about trade rumors. Edmonton has No. 4 overall and may trade down to grab a defensemen who can help right away. I am fine with that, but want to make sure the club stays in the top 10.
  • 4:38pm—HAGS9K: Stay strong tonight LT nation. Remember whatever happens, we still have McDavid and we still have scotch.
  • 4:41pm—SPOILER posts a tweet from Lou Korac: Source: #stlblues and #oilers in talks about Shattenkirk. Oilers offering Nugent-Hopkins; Blues asking price: Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle.
  • 4:43PM—Oddspell: My heart is racing and I’m squirming in my seat.This team will be the death of me and they’re not even playing.
  • 4:45pm—I find a television and now reports have Peter Chiarelli, Brad Treliving and Jarmo Kekalainen. Could it be? Dougie Hamilton! Ladislav Smid! Ack! WHY does my mind do this! Think Dougie Hamilton.
  • 4:50pm—Reports now that Chiarelli has left the building. Great. Now he thinks he’s Elvis! Moustache trims wait for no man, apparently.
  • 4:50pm—I posted a Jeremy Rutherford tweet: Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 2m2 minutes ago Buffalo, NY—I’ve been reporting a return on Shattenkirk would be picks/prospect. They could get an established player but likely rules out Backes return.
  • 4:54pm—Bendelson:

OK.

1. Beer – check
    2. Bendelson draft list – check
    3. Optimism – check
    4. Dogs (to keep me grounded) – check, check
    5. Crying towel – nope (see #3)
    6. More beer – check

Ready to go.
    Good times.

• 5:00pm—The television opener anticipates something but lacks specifics. TV is awful at pretending they don’t know when they do, so I assume crickets because they are rambling. We are coming down to Tkachuk versus Dubois for Edmonton.
  • 5:08pm—SPOILER posts a Bob McKenzie tweet:Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 2m2 minutes ago: There is talk on the draft floor, as yet unconfirmed, that CBJ prospect Sonny Milano has been traded.
  • 5:10pm—Gary Bettman probably gets booed driving by arenas in mid-summer, but he hangs in there I will give him that much. The only thing he has ever done that I would have liked to do? Hand Z the Stanley.
  • 5:11pm—Drew: nothing stupid, nothing stupid, nothing stupid, nthing stoopid, tnithsd stoopidsnur!
  • 5:12pm—JonK: I admit the booing of Bettman makes me giggle a little. Haha.
  • 5:20pm—NYC OIL Gentleman Backpacker: Lou: “first pick of the 216 draft” We are going waaaaaaaay back.
  • 5:23pm—Stevezie (after two Montreal trades) Montreal is smarter than i hoped.
  • 5:27pm—speeds: When Bettman started with Eller, I thought he might be slow-playing the first part of a Subban trade!
  • 5:29pm—Lowetide: Well, we are about to see something. Or nothing.
  • 5:30pm—SPOILER: Christ, Laine is going to be auditioning for The New Kojak series before he’s 21. How does he feel about lollipops?
  • 5:30pm—V4ANCE posts a tweet: Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline now
    Now things get interesting. #CBJ on the clock shortly, with rampant speculation that a trade is in the offing.
  • 5:37pm—After an array of posts surrounding Dubois to Columbus, Smellyglove posts: Just walk up Chia!!!! Just walk up and take the Finn. Fix the D with something else, or go incremental.
  • 5:38pm—Ice Sage: LOL now watch Oilers pick Tkachuk
  • 5:38pm—Asiaoil: PLD is a beast – so glad he is out of our division. JP is a RW – perfect.
  • 5:39pm—Skidplate: Frick Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 5:43pm—Oil In The Peg: NICE! WHO WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ALL ALONG! LOTTERY BE DARMNED!
  • 5:43pm—Woodguy: MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
  • 5:46pm—JonK:

Items to watch moving forward with Puljujarvi:
    – ability to stick-handle in tight
    – placing passes onto the tape
    – hard shot with several types

Big fast winger for McDavid moving forward?

• 5:48pm—Crazy Coach: This is awesome! Every Oilers legend needs a Finn playing the Right side!
  • 5:55pm—Lowetide: Very pleased with this pick. Also pleased to know the CBJ had Dubois ahead of Tkachuk (as my list suggested).
  • 5:57pm—Todd McCallan: I see Hossa. Wide range of skills. Absolutely cannot believe we got him.
  • 6:03pm—Lowetide:

Kent Wilson ‏@Kent_Wilson 25m25 minutes ago

And EDM gets Puljujarvi. Of course.

I am an ass for posting this, because Kent is a really nice guy.

• 6:07pm—Swedish Poster: Puljujärvis grandfather is a legendary in the fishing community of Älvkarleby. He’s also a RW(who Håkan Andersson thinks will look even better as a C due to his elite vision and hands). Puljujärvi is a great add to the Oilers, he’s not quite at the level of Laine, Matthews at this very moment but I’d argue his upside could very well be higher due to him having a wider array of skills. I’ve been beating his drum for a while now. He’s still physically immature so I truly hope the Oil don’t screw up his developement by counting on him to be a contributer from day one.
  • 6:09pm—Kmart99: Cant wait for the Oilers to just shove him in to the NHL this year and wonder why it didn’t work out.

SATURDAY

• 5:48am—Sumoil: I feel TML will take debrincat. They are smart now.
  • 5:48am—Lowetide: For me, I am fine with a goalie at some point today. I wonder if they grab one early, and then push for Cs, RHDs and power wingers. I hope we continue the trend toward skill that began last year.
  • 8:18am—Jon R McLeod:

Corey Pronman
    @coreypronman
    Edmonton selects Tyler Benson. A local kid who was a premium prospect for years prior to several injuries this year. Has significant upside.

Could be a case of buying low that ends up working out.

• 8:20am—Tarkus posts Jason Gregor tweet:

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 5m5 minutes ago

When Klefbom was skating in Edmonton last week. Benson skated with him. Oilers did thorough diagnosis of Benson’s health and skill. #Oilers

• 8:31am—PDO: Love this pick. Groin injuries are rarely chronic and he would’ve gone way higher if not for one. Great 12 hours!
  • 8:33am—PunjabiOil: Happy re Benson for the reasons Woodguy alluded to. I wanted ADB however many analytic based teams (Toronto, Florida, Phoenix) all passed on him. Not every small player projects to translate. See St. Croix, Michael. See Weal, Jordan. That’s where scouting projection comes in.
  • 8:33am—Raider Jesse: People DON”T like this pick? I’m actually shocked. He’s an ultra offensive player, whose not particularly large. If he’s not hurt almost all of last year, I’d be surprised if he dropped past 20. This is not an “Oilers” pick. This is who the Oilers used to pass on.
  • 9:08am—DoritoGrande on Niemelainen selection: You hammered this player type this year. It’s too bad the Oilers don’t share your feelings, but we’ll give him 5 years.
  • 9:11am—Ben: LT: Any particular rationale for having him so much lower than other draft reports/McKenzie?
  • 9:13am—Lowetide: My list punishes lack of offense. Same as Hajek and a few others. Does not mean he has terrible value, but my list loves offense.
  • 9:28am—DoritoGrande after Cairns selection: I think LT has conditioned us with his year-long draft coverage and his preferences (he’s not a scout guys, just a very passionate fan) that a lot of people have adopted his feelings as doctrine. These picks aren’t coming out of left field (handedness pun intended). They’re in the range with the scout consensus picks. Thanks for all you do LT, just my opinion.
  • 9:34am—NYC Oil Gentleman Backpacker after Berglund selection: So is Berglund also a Chiarelli defenseman? I am just saying I think Chia isn’t Tambo and he respects skating on the back end. Some mix of sizes all around. Boston, too. Seidenberg, Krug, Boychuk, Chara, that is a lot of variety.
  • 9:34am—Centre of Attention: Love this pick. I forgive them for adding to the leftorium now with the other 3rd rounders. Have to think they cull the lefty herd, by the way. So many lefties.
  • 9:34am—Swedish Poster (who was phenomenal all winter and spring with info on Euro kids): Well, I’ve got some scouting cred on the line here so he better turns out.
  • 10:13am—Centre of Attention after Dylan Wells selection:

OHL Prospects ‏@BrockOtten 10m10 minutes ago
    Dylan Wells goes to Edmonton. Great pick. Massive potential. Had a very tough year but has everything you look for in an NHL goalie today.

From Brock himself.

His Hlinka and Super series is encouraging.

• 10:14am—Mr. Debakey: I’m guessing he would’ve been available at 183.
  • 10:16am—Stephen Sheps:Wells was the backup to Matt Mancina for the last 2 seasons.
    Of note, Mancina put up a .910 sv% and a 2.97GAA in front of the same mediocre Petes team.
    They were better last season than they were in 14/15 (the year I lived there)I saw him bad when I lived in Peterborough.
    While this is clearly the worst scouting report ever posted on this blog, the numbers clearly match my uninformed eye test.He may have looked good in a couple tournaments of small sample size, but he has not been consistent in his 2 years in Peterborough. Now that Mancina has aged out, it appears as though it’s Wells’ crease this upcoming season. Hopefully he builds on his Hlinka experience and turns his junior career around.
  • 10:33am—DoriroGrande on McPhee selection: McPhee top end? Maybe Jason Zucker?
  • 10:41am—Fifth Cartel on Rasanen selection: Honestly I’ve been pretty ok with every pick save for Wells.
  • 10:43am—Rondo: Oilers have done well in this draft . Good value picks all over.
  • 10:47am—James L: “Harvest Moon” is one of my favorite and most anticipated LT posts all year. Thanks, LT, for all your hard work!
  • 11:03am—Caramel Batman: Every pick should be a pick like this. Wasting picks on goalie’s with bad numbers and big D who aren’t even in a major junior league is what galls. It is so unnecessary.
  • 1:49pm—John Chambers on the Desharnais selection: I could see that something was obstructing his breathing. I looked down into the eye of the big fish. Mammal. Whatever.
  • Lots of great comments in Harvest Moon as well.

And that completes the draft coverage for another year. Thanks for reading!

35 Responses to "2016 DRAFT FIN(N)"

1. leadfarmer says:

Hey LT, given that Chia may have next years pick in play do you have anything on next years draft?

leadfarmer:

3. stephen sheps says:

Thanks LT…

so in my quote I literally said ‘worst scouting report ever” and yet you saw fit to include it in the post-mortem. I don’t know whether to be flattered or mortified but I very much appreciate the inclusion.

Rasanen is the prospect (non-1st round division) that excites me the most from this draft class. Finns Win.

stephen sheps:

Thanks LT…

Haha! I grabbed what was entertaining, and that was entertaining! 🙂

5. LadiesloveSmid says:

I need to be more entertaining next draft. I guarantee way more penis jokes, dinks/60, and yelling about whatever CORSIs are

6. stephen sheps says:

Lowetide: Haha! I grabbed what was entertaining, and that was entertaining! 🙂

Happy to be of service 🙂

7. G Money says:

stephen sheps,

Am trying my hand at sous vide pork … three chops in the bath!

LadiesloveSmid,

*high five*

8. stephen sheps says:

G Money:
    stephen sheps,

Am trying my hand at sous vide pork … three chops in the bath!

Wonderful! Let me know how they turn out. Pork chops sous vide is one of the most sure fire successful cuts to make in that contraption. What kind of marinade did you make?
    (For the rest of the folks not in on the ‘joke’, the Jewish fellow sends the Indian man recipes for beef and he turns around and cooks pork. we’re terrible at understanding each other’s cultures and I love it.)

Remind me to send you my spicy peanut/ginger/lime sauce recipe the next time we talk. It’s so good on pork chops, even better for tenderloin and ideal for sous vide

LadiesloveSmid,

replied previous thread

10. G Money says:

stephen sheps,

LOL. So true.

For this go round, I’m just following the basic idea of seasoning it (liberally with fresh ground black pepper and himalayan pink salt), then cooking sous vide, with the finish on a hot pan with butter.

Want to try the meat itself first so nothing other than that.

If I get bored while chowing down on that, I have a cheap and cheerful teriyaki sauce waiting. (By “I”, I mean “my wife”, who can cook, while I can effectively follow recipes but have no cooking art in my soul)

11. stephen sheps says:

G Money,

Solid plan. That Himalayan pink salt is divine. I think your plan will really bring out the flavour you’re looking for – delicious delicious pork. It will likely be really tender when you pull it out of the bag. so your searing plan is a good one. Enjoy. Happy cooking!

12. Colieo87 says:

anyone in the trades construction industry looking for any 1st year Electrian l with 1050 hrs of experienced towards his blue book. with csts. first aid. fall arrest. confined space w monitor. h2s. tickets. please feel free to contact me 7802120288 or colecadieux@gmail.com. thank you for your time. my goal is January for my 1st year of school. i worked commercial with rough in and finishing experience with demelco Electric

13. leadfarmer says:

Lowetide: I have a few things but it is much too early to comment in terms of depth, or how many top flight players will be available. WHL much stronger. You may enjoy:

Woohoo were making the playoffs, and then we are picking a 6’5 Russian winger

14. Richard S.S. says:

I saw the 1st Round via a network feed. Big time action was spent on Peter Chiarelli and the Oilers waiting for the Blockbuster deal. But wow the commentary was amazing when it all went down.

I got to re-watch day one and see day two (recorded) on Tuesday. Apparently it’s held that the Oilers’ luck will overturn/iverwhelm any projected bad draft result, so eyes will always be on the Oilers.

15. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Lol. Great write-up LT. For some reason I pictured you with a tinfoil hat on as everything was going down…..

What was with that bizarre random Sonny Milano trade rumour?

Kiltymcbagpipes:

What was with that bizarre random Sonny Milano trade rumour?

Haha. No idea. I love reading the posts on draft weekend, but never get to read them in real time. I had a radio show to do that afternoon, and Guy asked me to join him at 11. SO it was a lot of work! But enjoyed the posts after the fact.

17. frjohnk says:

Kiltymcbagpipes:

What was with that bizarre random Sonny Milano trade rumour?

It was something like

Milano and the 3rd to Calgary.
    Hamilton and the 6th to Edmonton.
    RNH and the 4th to Columbus.

But it was just a rumour.

But if true, and Chia stopped it when he figured Columbus would not pick JP at 3, means that Chia sees JP as an elite prospect and there was a significant gap between him and PLD.

I think having JP fall to 4 meant Chia would trade Hall or RNH then.

18. Stelio Kontos says:

I didn’t even catch that columbus called dubois. I was thinking ahead to who the oil were gonna pick.I glanced up at the screen and read dubois, and lost my mind.

Stelio Kontos:

I was busy telling everyone in the room (my poor wife) that I saw the guy announcing the pick playing defense in the 1980s. The only way I knew was the gasps.

20. GCW_69 says:

Ford Prefect:
    GCW_69,

No. Playing the what ifs game to protect players for a last place team is not managing from what we no. Everyone freaked out about the “ifs” of the hall Larson trade(Larson being all speculation) but then think Chia should be doing the same so he can protect his what if (currently) third pair guy.

This is from the other thread but I feel compelled to respond.

There have been studies done by Gartner and others that prove organizations that run multiple scenarios as part of their planning process put perform those that don’t , and the difference is material. There is no reason to believe that these principles don’t apply to hockey.

If Chiarelli is doing his job, he has looked at multiple scenarios for the expansion draft and assigned probabilities to each that are guiding his actions.

We don’t know what scenarios he is running and what value he is assigning to the assets in his model or his probabilities on each scenario, but based on Davidson’s performance last year, some of them consider the impact of Davidson continuing his progression .

21. Snowman says:

Thanks for this LT. I was in my rehearsal for the wedding at the time of the draft. I didn’t really get a chance to enjoy the draft. I quite enjoyed this post.

22. haters says:

When Columbus took Dubois at 3 I was driving down the highway heading to red deer, I was screaming and honking my horn. People musta thought I was nuts …
    Literally the best draft aside from McDavid. Watched this kid a lot on YouTube and U18. Just can’t believe Columbus passed on him. I can’t wait till the first Columbus game when he’s in the lineup..

Great work this summer so far LT, dunno what I’d do without this blog, and thanks to all the posters to, I look forward to reading everyone opinion almost as much as the article itself.

23. haters says:

Does anyone think that ricki is an actual bear that wears glasses and his spelling and grammar mistakes are actually a result of a keyboard not kind to bear paws ? Or is it just me

24. pells says:

Really hoping we bring in a veteran free agent defensemen and a couple forwards on cheap contracts. Would sure be nice to have some depth and let all these young guys develop. Watched about 10 minutes of JP highlights yesterday. This guy is scary good. I think we won another lottery. We are definitely on the right track. Now add some veteran depth.

25. CM says:

Generally if I use the word “copious” it is followed by “amounts of alcohol”.

26. Ford Prefect says:

GCW_69,

I think we are in agreement actually. I thought you were pushing to make a roster decision this summer to somehow ensure he is protected for the expansion draft next summer but after rereading the thread I see that you are not.

The question for me is how good do the Oilers need to be this year and what do Davidson’s stats need to say for him to be in danger of being drafted. If we are bottom ten in the league with -35 goal differential I would not worry too much about losing him. If we make the playoffs and he is playing over 20 minutes a game then something might need to be done. Protect, trade or make available. I would not be forecasting possible scenarios about it at this point though. Focus on today and worry about Davidson in June.

What a problem it would be to have though. the Oilers having to make a tough decision because they are winning and have too many good players.

27. boopronger says:

So the rumoured trade was 4th OV, drai, klefboms/nurse and next year’s first for subban. Would people here do that trade? I would. We would have 3 elite players

28. spoiler says:

GMoney and Woodguy…

Tweeted a bee embossed wooden nickel to @OilersNerdAlert and emailed the big file to GMoney’s address.

If anyone wants a look, go to my twitter account @CtrlP Press. I have the orig in Photoshop so can mess with it however you like. It looks okay… Just didn’t have time to find the perfect wood texture.

The bee comes from an early 20th century Italian coin.

29. bendelson says:

To borrow a phrase… the basis of my optimism, is sheer terror.

30. G Money says:

*** SUPER NERD ALERT ***

For years*, LT has been bugging me to prove the value of Dangerous Fenwick (and rightly so).

I ran some cheap and cheerful statistical tests when I first built the thing that convinced me it was valid, but I never published that because of the cheapness. Maybe the cheerfulness too, I dunno.

However, with the WoodMoney stuff basically on verge of full publication and release, I suspect a lot of eyes are going to be trained on the slender shoulders of DangerFen.

As such, I got off my buttinski and formalized the results of some simple tests that, though simple, are enough I hope to convince most of the Corsiati that DangerFen is for real.

It’s not heavy stats, but it *is* most certainly stats. If you’re interested in digging in, the article is here:

See LT, I eventually got around to it, just like I said I would!

*by which I mean months, maybe even weeks or days

31. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy:
    LadiesloveSmid,

replied previous thread

Cheers.

Schlemko is a player, Edmonton boy too

32. theDjdj says:

G Money: https://oilersnerdalert.wordpress.com/2016/07/17/a-brief-statistical-look-at-dangerous-fenwick/

Nice work man. Really excited to see the birth of a new hockey metric.

33. Pouzar says:

DFF reminds me of Putts Gained in Golf.
    A putt is a putt is a putt….well not really.

Good stuff, looking forward to this.

34. Shizuka says:

Nice draft recap LT. I was watching online as I don’t get the NBC feed (now that the TSN guys migrated over there for it) and remember yelling something incoherent when CLB called Dubois’ name. I also remember not being very fond of the 2nd pick in Benson the following day, which someone actually included when citing how crazy and ‘stupid’ some of us were for not liking the pick. I’m still pretty hesitant, the kid did miss a lot of development time — but I am willing to wait and see on him. He had a huge grin and a genuinely happy demeanour during his interview after, and with some of the scouting reports praising his raw base skills maybe it will turn around. I guess with the whole Reinhart thing I wasn’t enthused watching them go after another homegrown type kid, when I felt there were others on board that had demonstrated more. We’ll see. Niemelainen was a good selection where they were able to pick him.