FIVE YEARS GONE

Games Played is not the ideal way to look through decades of drafting, but it is a quick and easy way to draw a line in the sand. I prefer to do these things after five years—to me, five years is a good length of time. That said, it does not get the entire picture, as Brandon Davidson showed this past season. Here are the 36 best draft seasons by the Edmonton Oilers—followed by 1990.

*Note: 400 games is considered a success, if that number hasn’t been reached after five years there better be a sleeping Dubnyk or an agitating Tikkanen.

1.  1980-1,056 (Paul Coffey-394, Jari Kurri-363, Walt Poddubny-157, Andy Moog-142). Kurri played on the best line in hockey for ages and at the peak of his NHL career scored 45, 52, 71, 68 and 54 goals as an Oiler. Paul Coffey was the best offensive defenseman of his era and one of the best of all time, and Andy Moog was a quality goaltender for a long time. Poddubny established himself as an impressive scorer during a shorter career.
  2. 1979-1,052 (Kevin Lowe-383, Mark Messier-375, Glenn Anderson-290, Mike Toal-3, Blair Barnes-1). I’m not sure this one belongs behind 1980. Messier was a killer, an absolute killer. Anderson was a legend too, it’s ridiculous they got them same year along with a durable defender in Lowe.
  3. 1993-602 (Jason Arnott-321, Miro Satan-217, Ilya Byakin-57, Alex Kerch-5, Nick Stajduhar-2). This draft came at a very low point for the organization (similar to the situation they’re in now). Arnott was a high pick who delivered, but Fraser should also get credit for finding Satan. Two quality regulars over a long period of years makes for a very good draft.
  4. 2011-578: (Ryan Nugent Hopkins 313, Tobias Rieder 154, Oscar Klefbom 107, David Musil 4). Two first-round picks—including No. 1 overall—should result in some success, and this is the strongest draft of this century. Rieder not signing in Edmonton hurts a lot.
  5. 2003-557 (Kyle Brodziak-175, Zack Stortini-147, Marc Pouliot-141, JF Jacques-60; Mathieu Roy-30, Troy Bodie-4). The 2003 and 2004 drafts benefit from having the lockout season. Same number of available at-bats but one more year of development than the others. No outstanding talent but several role players. The first of two drafts that I would consider candidates for Prendergast’s best, I’d vote for the 2001 draft if I had a vote.
  6. 2001-471 (Ales Hemsky-275, Jussi Markkanen-128, Ales Pisa-53, Kari Haakana-13, Doug Lynch-2). The first Prendergast draft was probably his best one because of Hemsky alone. A decade ago Edmonton was not a successful drafting team (kind of like Calgary in the Sutter era) but Hemsky looked like a winner from the word go.
  7. 1996-466 (Tom Poti-230, Boyd Devereaux-230, Matthieu Descoteaux-5, Chris Hajt-1). Devereaux was a very high pick who didn’t have the kind of offensive pedigree associated with lottery picks. He was a solid role player before that Dallas Drake hit and recovered his career a little later on. Poti had some exceptional skills and a lot of chaos, but he had a good NHL career.
  8. 2007-447 (Sam Gagner 366, Linus Omark 65, Alex Plante-10, Riley Nash-5, Milan Kytnar-1). So much promise—three picks inside the top 21 overall—and so little to show for it. Gagner is now over 600 NHL games, but did not cover his draft bet.
  9. 1981-440 (Grant Fuhr-211, Gord Sherven-84, Marc Habscheid-80, Steve Smith-57, Todd Strueby-5, Paul Houck-3). This was a nice draft, Fuhr came very quickly to the show and Habscheid looked for a time like he might be something. Goalies get nicked a little when we measure them by GP, this draft probably deserves to be in the top 5. Steve Smith was a helluva defenseman.
  10. 2002-440 (Jarret Stoll-286, Matt Greene-151, Mikko Luoma-3). A little misleading in that Stoll was a draft re-entry and technically belongs to the 2000 group. Greene and Stoll have turned into quality NHL players, and this draft (despite the Niinimaki miss) has to be considered a success.
  11. 1994-439 (Ryan Smyth-269, Mike Watt-89, Jason Bonsignore-79, Ladislav Benysek-2). Smyth was the heart and soul for the Oilers 95-06. The Bonsignore pick was the most disappointing pick in team history—although there is one in the hopper. One of the reasons we don’t remember Barry Fraser fondly is the number of high picks that fizzled, something Prendergast never had an opportunity to do (his only top 6 pick was Gagner).
  12. 2010-425. (Taylor Hall 299, Martin Marincin 85, Tyler Pitlick 27, Brandon Davidson 12, Curtis Hamilton 1, Tyler Bunz 1). Taylor Hall was the first No. 1 overall pick in franchise history—incredible considering what has happened since. Brandon Davidson and Martin Marincin look like they will have NHL careers, making this a three player draft.
  13. 1989-414 (Anatoli Semenov-240, Josef Beranek-146, Peter White-26, Darcy Martini-2). You’d like a little more from a draft, but it came when they were winning every season and two useful players isn’t a bad return.
  14. 1991-406 (Martin Rucinsky-241, David Oliver-124, Tyler Wright-41). This is the final of the group I would give passing grades. Rucinsky and Wright had nice careers.
  15. 1999-361 (Mike Comrie-241, Alexei Semenov-92, Jani Rita-15, Tony Salmelainen-13). I really thought this draft was going to be outstanding. Fizzled. Comrie saved it somewhat and this isn’t really about what we all thought but lordy Jani Rita looked like a player.
  16. 1982-345 (Jaroslav Pouzar-186, Raimo Summanen-142, Steve Graves-14, Jim Playfair-2, Dean Clark-1). Pouzar had a nice career and the Oilers thought Summanen would be 99’s left-winger, but this draft fell short of acceptable.
  17. 2005-339 (Andrew Cogliano-246, Danny Syvret-49, Taylor Chorney-44). Cogliano is now gone but he certainly delivered on his draft number.
  18. 1983-322 (Esa Tikkanen-191, Jeff Beukeboom-117, John Miner-14). I think this one gets a passing grade as well, the 5-year measurement punishes this draft because the club had improved. Two solid NHL players, and in the case of Tikkanen a very unique talent.
  19. 2009-312. (Magnus Paajarvi 218, Anton Lander 94). Paajarvi and Lander feel like they are in Groundhog Day—every morning begins with Sonny & Cher followed by Ned Ryerson. Will they make it? It has been seven years since the draft.
  20. 2012-308 (Nail Yakupov-252, Erik Gustafsson-41, Jujhar Khaira-15). A very disappointing draft, one more year until five year limit—and things could look better by then.
  21. 1992-286 (Kirk Maltby-236, Ralph Intranuovo-22, Joaquin Gage-18, Joe Hulbig-6, Marko Tuomainen-4). This came at a time when the club really needed to add solid building blocks for the future, but it fell well short.
  22. 2008-250 (Jordan Eberle 195, Teemu Hartikainen 52, Phil Cornet-2, Johan Motin-1). Eberle took two years in junior and then played well from his rookie year. Hartikainen looked like a player, but could not survive all the management chaos in his time with Edmonton. They didn’t have their second or third-round picks.
  23. 1987-235 (Geoff Smith-207, Peter Eriksson-20, Igor Vyazmikin-4, Shaun Van Allen-2, Tomas Srsen-2). Van Allen ended up having a career, but he was a late breaker.
  24. 1998-229 (Shawn Horcoff-188, Alex Henry-41). Another draft that looks less effective because of the 5-year rule. Horcoff most certainly helped the Oilers during the 00’s but the club was shooting blanks in the first round.
  25. 1995-213 (Georges Laraque-126, Steve Kelly-86, Mike Minard-1). Kelly was a painful miss but he was in fact highly rated that summer. Guy Flaming has written some amazing articles over the years about the Kelly miss, and every Oiler scout stands by the decision and admits they liked him better. Doesn’t change anything, but there must have been something there.
  26. 1984-186 (Todd Ewen-121, Emanuel Viveiros-29, Selmar Odelein-18, Simon Wheeldon-11, Daryl Reaugh-7). Odelein’s injury had a lot to do with this draft and its lack of success.
  27. 1985-164 (Kelly Buchberger-140, Scott Metcalfe-19, Mike Ware-5). Buchberger was a nice late round pickup but Fraser was choogling during these drafts.
  28. 2000-153 (Matt Lombardi-134, Brad Winchester-19). It actually turned out pretty well for Fraser. Lombardi emerged as a true NHL talent and Winchester a role player. It took awhile, and of course Lombardi is the Stoll mirror.
  29. 2004-143 (Liam Reddox-56, Rob Schremp-51, Devan Dubnyk-19, Bryan Young-17). This draft looked like a dud forever, but Dubnyk saved it.
  30. 2006-137 (Theo Peckham-102; Jeff Petry 35). Although Peckham and Petry took time to arrive and this measurement system tells us the 2006 draft is a fail, if the Oilers can grab two starting defenders from a draft season that’s a pretty good year in anyone’s books. Added to the fact the Oilers had two picks in the top 130 selections and there’s some good news here.
  31. 2014-109 (Leon Draisaitl 109). This was a weird draft, destined to be a one-trick pony unless William Lagesson can fight through the Leftorium.
  32. 2013-83 (Darnell Nurse 71, Anton Slepyshev 11, Bogdan Yakimov 1). A low total after three years, but some productive seasons should be on the way.
  33. 1988-63 (Shjon Podein-40, Francois Leroux-11, Len Barrie-9, Trevor Sim-3). Len Barrie got famous.
  34. 2015-45 (Connor McDavid 45). Proof positive that GP doesn’t tell the entire story, McDavid alone makes this one of the richest drafts in history.
  35. 1986-31 (Ron Shudra-10, Dan Currie-5, David Haas-5, Jim Ennis-5, Kim Issel-4, Mike Greenlay-2). Mur-diddly-urdler’s row.
  36. 1997-16 (Michel Riesen-12, Jason Chimera-4). Chimera ended up having a career, but developed slowly.
  37. 1990-00. Thanks for coming. Fraser should have been fired, but the Oilers won the Stanley (again) and honestly not many people were paying attention.

Here are the names of Oiler draft picks to have played 200 or more games in the 5 seasons after they were drafted:

1. Paul Coffey 394
  19. Tom Poti 230
  20. Boyd Devereaux 230
  21. Magnus Paajarvi 218
  22. Miro Satan 217
  23. Grant Fuhr 211
  24. Geoff Smith 207

40 Responses to "FIVE YEARS GONE"

1. LMHF#1 says:

That 2007 draft made me so angry.

That many picks and after Gagner you just light them on fire. Cherepanov is sitting there for the taking – we’ll never know how things would have turned out of course with him but he likely wouldn’t have been in Omsk for that fateful season.

They needed to trade those other 2 first rounders for a player or to move up. So many mistakes.

Going over the numbers – how did Subban fall so far and behind so many D with iffy stats? I know the NHL GMs love a WHL defencemen, but the OHL isn’t exactly a cakewalk.

Rememember that day well, here is what I wrote:

My ideal day would see Lowe pick Voracek or Gagner at #6, grab David Perron or Ryan McDonagh at #15 and then deal the pick at 30 with Matt Greene for a veteran blueliner.

Yeah.

3. LMHF#1 says:

It could have reloaded the team and it wound up being nothing. They swung and missed at a BP fastball.

4. Ribs says:

I didn’t realise Tyson was Len Barrie’s son. Neato.

5. maudite says:

Teemu crashed on my couch last winter. Not bs. Guy was a player but a whole lot of personal baggage derailed that train.

6. jake70 says:

Rememember that day well, here is what I wrote:

Yeah.

LT, when did you start your blog? I wandered through your doors in 2010, realized quickly reading the comments that I didn’t know jack about hockey – humbling really. I see that Ferrari character that is mentionned here at times, someone say he is working for a club?

7. geowal says:

Not sure I follow using 400 games as success, I assume you mean career. The games played shown are 5 year mark, wouldn’t 100 or so be appropriate ?

jake70: LT, when did you start your blog?I wandered through your doors in 2010, realized quickly reading the comments thatI didn’t know jack about hockey – humbling really.I see that Ferrari character that is mentionned here at times, someone say he is working for a club?

Washington Capitals, I believe. Started the blog in 2004, lost three years worth because I am very poor at pushing buttons, and then restarted right away. Was on blogger for a few years and then came over here. I have enjoyed almost every minute. 🙂

9. Bag of Pucks says:

Would be interesting to know which of those draft years Fraser was phoning it in from Cabo.

Also interesting to note that arguably the two best defencemen the Oilers ever drafted, Coffey and Lowe, played early and often in their development. Granted Sather didn’t have a lot of options early on, but it might give pause for those wanting to push Nurse to the A.

10. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Is it just me, or do the numbers of games played seem WAY off on some players?

At a glance:
    Devan Dubnyk-19
    Jason Chimera-4
    Jeff Petry 35
    Jordan Eberle 195
    Shawn Horcoff-188
    Georges Laraque-126
    Brandon Davidson 12

There were more, but I feel like I’ve made my point.

Furthermore, some players seem to have total NHL GP and others have total Oilers GP.

geowal:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Is it just me, or do the numbers of games played seem WAY off on some players?

At a glance:
    Devan Dubnyk-19
    Jason Chimera-4
    Jeff Petry 35
    Jordan Eberle 195
    Shawn Horcoff-188
    Georges Laraque-126
    Brandon Davidson 12

There were more, but I feel like I’ve made my point.

These are numbers five years after each player has been drafted, not career numbers.

13. Bag of Pucks says:

Rememember that day well, here is what I wrote:

Yeah.

Comparatively speaking, we had so little info on the prospects back then, but I still remember the draft pundits calling Plante a reach.

Only the Oil would have the hubris to go walkabout in the first round.

And we won the lottery twice in 79 and 80. Still incredible to think about.

Draft’s overrated anyway. Won the greatest player ever in a game of backgammon ; )

14. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

LT,

Last week I mentioned Caggiula at center which you stated you disliked and someone stated was a dumb idea to even to suggest. I haven’t been on much here the last few days but I noticed you now have him listed as #1 center on Condors in the previous thread. What did I miss? Thanks

15. LadiesloveSmid says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

I believe you missed Stauffer subconsciously planting the idea in your head, he tweeted out the idea last week and it’s been noted a number of times here

16. Centre of attention says:

Kiltymcbagpipes:
    LT,

I did a bit of research, he did play center at UND as well as earlier in his career. Kind of floated back and forth a bit.

Once he was elevated to Boesers line in his final year he was all LW though.

I’ll hold my judgement for now, seeing him in camp at center and perhaps a few preseason games could change how I see things. Right now though I would rather him be a LW.

17. Mr DeBakey says:

Rememember that day well, here is what I wrote:

Yeah.

That 2007 draft thread is awesome.
    Short, sweet, contentious.
    The best is when Lord Bob, one of my favourite all-time commenters, was defending the Plante pick.
    The NHL Entry draft, what a hoot.

18. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Kiltymcbagpipes,

Haha. My original post did quote his tweet I was just reacting to it at the time.

19. JimmyV1965 says:

Rememember that day well, here is what I wrote:

Yeah.

Just read some of the comments from that draft. Wow!!! People really hated it, even while it was unfolding. There was no hindsight nitpicking. People generally didn’t like the picks even then. I suppose we can take solace in the fact that most people have been thrilled with the last two drafts.

20. HT Joe says:

Wow… the 2007 draft.

The Edmonton Oilers started with 7 picks, 3 in the first round. Those drafted players have now combined for 947 games played. 615 from Gagner.

The Montreal Canadians used 9 picks, 2 in the first round. Those drafted players have now combined for 1579 games played. 390 from McDonough, 481 from Pacioretty, and 434 from PK.

Did the Montreal GM have a time machine that year?

21. HT Joe says:

Hah… Chicago in 2007 had 7 draft picks. 1 in the first round. 668 games played. 658 from Kane.

For a team that clearly couldn’t draft outside of the first round, Chicago seemed to do okay after 2007…

22. HT Joe says:

And Vancouver… 6 draft picks, 1 in the first round. Combining for 0 NHL GP. Lordy.

Kiltymcbagpipes:
    LT,

Condors list him as a center (on their website). I was having a heckuva time getting all of their wingers onto the roster and ran out of centers! 🙂

24. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT! Going back to that 2007 blog: one of my favourite posters: AsiaOil: becasue he’s been down on this team and its prospects for years, as long as I have been here. And he’s been right to call them out consistently for what is lacking.

– Anyway, I love that in 2007 he does an “over and out” post after rightfully calling out the team. Haters gonna hate…And Almost 10 years later, he’s still posting! Mr Debankey as well!

25. sliderule says:

LT
    Your 2007 picks were spot on.
    Why don’t you do a post with a comparison of your picks and oiler picks.

26. Ryan says:

Rememember that day well, here is what I wrote:

Yeah.

The 2007 threads preceded me. [edit] (at this blog)

It’s fascinating to look back at those old threads and see Vic Ferrari. Wow, wish I had been here in those days.

It’s also instructive to see that Mr Debakey and Asia Oil were there. At the same time, it’s a little hard not to think, you poor bastards, you have no clue what awaits you as Oilers fans.

27. VanIsleOil says:

Ribs: I didn’t realise Tyson was Len Barrie’s son. Neato.

Tyson played his minor hockey in Victoria. His Dad,Len coached him right up to midget level. Tyson was elite early on and always had an offensive flair to his game.

28. Ryan says:

Mr DeBakey: That 2007 draft thread is awesome.
    Short, sweet, contentious.
    The NHL Entry draft, what a hoot.

What was Vic Ferrari like?

Did you have any inkling that he would ever work for an NHL team?

sliderule:
    LT
    Your 2007 picks were spot on.
    Why don’t you do a post with a comparison of yourpicksand oiler picks.

Because it is depressing and there are plenty of major errors. 🙂

30. LadiesloveSmid says:

sliderule:
    LT
    Your 2007 picks were spot on.
    Why don’t you do a post with a comparison of yourpicksand oiler picks.

LT had Liam Coughlin at #6 in 2014

31. geowal says:

Lowetide: Four hundred games for an entire draft year. I think that is fair, assuming a player arrives in pro at 20, plays a few games that season, 40 the next and 70 the following year. So, one player should get you 100 games, and a good draft has to be at least two, maybe three. One of those has to beat the odds to get you home. I think that is doable, although a great team may not employ as many so that should be factored in.

Whole draft year, gotcha.
    400 from one player by year 5 would be legendary!

And I’m dense, I didn’t see the little numbers after the year, even though I really did read the whole post.

Edit: so much easier to follow now!

LadiesloveSmid: LT had Liam Coughlin at #6 in 2014

The sad truth is I didn’t know who he was in 2014. And 2015!

33. Ryan says:

kinger_OIL:
    – Searching for Vic by the way:http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/08/in-search-of-vic-ferrari.html

One day when a NHL team with a lick of sense hires away Gmoney, I’ll be able to say that back in the day, I bantered with that guy.

34. Mr DeBakey says:

Ryan: At the same time, it’s a little hard not to think, you poor bastards, you have no clue what awaits you as Oilers fans.

Ryan: What was Vic Ferrari like?
    Did you have any inkling that he would ever work for an NHL team?

No inkling.
    In those times, the whole “Advanced Stats” thing had a guerrilla warfare quality to it.

The other thing I noticed [other than me pre-predicting the Kassian & Maroon additions] was how Andy jumped on the commenter who threw out a “No Heart” reference. I was surprised there was only one response. In those times, if you made dumb comments they were on you like a Doberman on a pork chop.

35. Ryan says:

Mr DeBakey: You can see several guys had an inkling that things weren’t good – the Tavares references and such.

No inkling.

The other thing I noticed [other than me pre-predicting the Kassian & Maroon additions] was how Andy jumped on the commenter who threw out a “No Heart” reference. I was surprised there was only one response.In those times, if you made dumb comments they were on you like a Doberman on a pork chop.

I joined here somewhere around 2009. When I joined this blog in those days, it also felt like swimming in piranha infested waters. Except in those days, the punishment for stupidity usually involved being completely ignored.

I remember carefully constructing blog comments just hoping to get a response from guys like Dellow.

Now sadly I’m more in the free association phase spewing random thoughts as they arise.

36. theDjdj says:

Reading back through this blog is fascinating. Lowetide, your blog really is the King’s Court of bright Hockey minds. Thanks for building and nourishing a community for us all. Makes this lonely Australian half the world away feel somewhat a part of the Hockey Universe.

37. rickithebear says:

Ryan: What was Vic Ferrari like?

Did you have any inkling that he would ever work for an NHL team?

the first 2 years on Lt’s site.

(Vic) gave many on here the belief that analyzing hockey from home had value!

(Ron) from Red Deer was the voice that said it was ok to balance old School hockey/with new analytics.
    Sadly Ron quit posting when some one asked if he was Ron Maclean.
    Does not mean!
    But interesting Coincidence.

THE blog/comment history loss of…….. What year?

38. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: For some of us, draft day is like Christmas. Please God don’t turn it into Friday the 13th.

Kevin Lowe’s Oilers remind me of Dickensian orphanages – Lowe playing the drunken sot owner of the establishment – gorging himself regularly while MacT actually takes pleasure by giving coal out for Christmas presents to the orphans(Oiler fans).