RE 16-17 JUJHAR KHAIRA: TOKYO

Jujhar Khaira must feel like all the other dice, rolling around in the cup—the hardest thing in the world to do (it seems) is to separate yourself from others when you are in the Edmonton system. Ice time is given out to 20-year olds like water to prisoners on the River Kwai—and damned if this kid isn’t poised to make it anyway. (Tokyo).

JUJHAR KHAIRA 15-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.39 (16th among forwards with 100 or more minutes)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 46.2
  • Qual Comp: 4th line competition
  • Qual Team: 3rd line teammates
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: +5.6
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 14 shots
  • Boxcars: 15, 0-2-2 .133
  • Information via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com, behindthenet.ca and hockey-reference.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

VOLLMAN LW

RE 16-17: 29GP, 1-3-4 .138

1. Were you surprised by him? Yes. The Oilers don’t ordinarily have callup forwards who impress first time out—seriously. He looked fast enough, big enough and smart enough, and the offense would be a worry. That was my first impression, it was a good one.
  2. What happened after first impressions? He faded, that is typical and predictable—and that’s why teams have an AHL. I think it is fair to say Khaira’s callup came early—he was a year and two months into his entry-level deal when the call came—and he played well enough to play almost 20 percent of the NHL schedule. Fine season for a prospect.
  3. Offense is going to be a worry. Yes. We are looking at a checking forward, probably a winger. That said, there are some interesting things and he progressed well season over season.
  4. What do you mean? In his first 54 games in the AHL, he went 5-6-11. In his second 54? 12-18-30. That represents real progress.
  5. It could be more TOI in year 2. Sure, we know the Oilers tend do slow play 20 year olds. That said, in year two, Khaira’s point-per-game increased from .196 to .551—that is significant.
  6. Any of your fancies? He went from 1.05 to 2.06 in estimated points-per-60 in the AHL year over year.
  7. Do we have a recent comparable? Kyle Brodziak was .563 in year two, but he had a far better year one. Khaira got himself into a better conversation in year two—a more recent comparable would be Tyler Pitlick in year two.
  8. That seems low. Well, Pitlick was never healthy, that certainly impacted his development. However, his offense at 21 is a Tom Pyatt kind of number and if we are realistic that is a fair comparable.
  9. What centers did he play with? Anton Lander (44.4 percent Corsi for 5×5, 0 points in 67 minutes); RNH (51.0 in 59 minutes, 1 point).
  10. Can he play center? Yes, he played center quite a bit in Bakersfield.
  11. Could you project him onto the opening night roster? Outside shot, but a better chance of recall into the year.
  12. Who do you have ahead of him? On LW, the list is Lucic, Pouliot, Maroon, Matt Hendricks. After that, I would think Khaira is in a battle with Anton Lander, Iiro Pakarinen and maybe Jere Sallinen. Drake Caggiula will not be applying for this job.
  13. At center? McDavid, Nuge—God I love writing that—Leon, Letestu, Lander, then Khaira. So he could win a utility job and should be considered direct competition for Anton Lander at this point in time.
  14. Does McLellan like him? McLellan: “I like his physicality, his size, and I think there’s more there. I think he has to get his confidence up. We’re playing him like we really believe in him and he’s got to believe in himself a little bit more because I think there’s more there. He’ll learn situations a little bit better, but his size offset a little bit of their size tonight.” Source
  15. Could Khaira be part of the future? Sure. The Oilers basically have a giant mess of a fourth line, and a bunch of veterans who will not be here long term, so there are opportunities.
  16. Who is leaving? Lauri Korpikoski was bought out, Matt Hendricks is probably entering his final Oiler season, Anton Lander is not secure and Iiro Pakarinen needs to step forward and he is not a young prospect. There is opportunity here.
  17. Is he in good position? Think so. I go back to how good he looked first blush in the NHL. He is not facing a murderer’s row for 4line competition and he is young enough to develop a little more.
  18. What will keep him out of the NHL? Skill. Khaira has the look of a guy who can keep up and he appears smart enough to figure out the NHL game. Offense? Edmonton is not good at prying offense out of average players, haven’t been since forever. Ridiculous skill at center will help that, but Khaira is extremely unlikely to play on those lines.
  19. Did he talk about playing at the NHL level? Khaira: “Just some of the passes they make. You don’t expect them to land on your tape but next thing you know they’re right there and you’ve got to think a lot quicker to make a play instead of just dumping it in all the time. It’s a line that needs to keep position and make plays and I’m trying my best to help them out.” Source
  20. Why this song? It is about being in a strange place and not being able to find anything you recognize. The language is not your own, no one to answer questions, give direction or to center you, nothing familiar around you. It is about overcoming enormous challenge and making the unknown familiar. It is a fabulous song for a rookie NHL player.

44 Responses to "RE 16-17 JUJHAR KHAIRA: TOKYO"

1. Spoils says:

letestu?

2. JOHNNY OPERATOR76 says:

Impressed me too, might have softer hands than most think.

3. DRFNsuperstar says:

How does he play with RNH 47% of his time and get his Qual of Linemates as 4th Line?

4. LadiesloveSmid says:

really interesting numbers you just posted ricki,

would your metrics suggest Goloubef as a reasonable target? I definitely think Klein could be a hard target

how does Goloubef do by Woodmoney?

5. JDï™ says:

Pouzar,

Ha! Hate music – right! It’s no coincidence that the Hip played Toronto last night and you’re there.

6. LadiesloveSmid says:

rumours seem EDM would have traded Hall for Ristolainen if BUF weren’t in love with him or to STL for Shattenkirk+ if he would have extended. Larsson seems to be the lesser of the evils, no?

LadiesloveSmid:

8. slide rules says:

love your posts LT….also love cockburn…I am hoping we see new blood push their way in….caggiula and possibly jp playing right d on the pp…this could be the turning point we need …how about “making it work”…doug and the slugs”…..

9. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: Ristolainen

I loved him on this play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FSRQvq0uA4

Turn it up Hunter!

10. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lowetide: Shattenkirk would be one year, so that is a non-starter. I love Ristolainen’s game, liked him on draft day and am surprised by how good he already is.

11. blainer says:

slide rules:

Was watching the JP WJC highlights again today.. This is just one hell of a player. I actually think he is very close to Laine and may be even better.

I will not be one bit surprised if he makes the team at least for the first ten games or so. I will predict though he is playing with CMD by mid season. Last years results really sucked for us but this player really makes up for a good bit of it.

I have a gut feeling that this is that Chicago Pittsburgh draft in 06 where Pittsburgh drafted Stall over Towes.

I feel Columbus drafted Stall (Dubois) and we got Towes ( J.Puli). Again just a feeling but that size speed shot and hands are amazing. I also really believe he played a factor in the Hall trade. Maybe shouldn’t have though.

12. stevezie says:

LadiesloveSmid: Risto just seems like a PP specialist that’s playing above his head at this point, no? Young enough to improve a lot but analytics community doesn’t seem to love him so far as I’ve seen. Could be wrong

I don’t believe his history suggests pp specialist. Looks amazing by the eye test and conventional stats, analytics are decidedly unimpressed. Interesting option.

If the value of lefty-righty had become famous just a little sooner….

Ah well.

13. Alpine says:

That’s roughly what he is. Has been Nurse-level defensively for his whole career, though he’s been on some crappy teams. Not sure yet that we picked the wrong guy in 2013, though a righty would have been nice.

14. Pouzar says:

JDï™:
    Pouzar,

Hip? They play music right?

15. Centre of attention says:

Corsica hockey and Emmanuel Perry hate Ristolainen. IDK why. Risto’s D game ain’t where it supposedly is according to him. Hit him up on twitter @MannyElk he’ll give you the goods on Risto. Definitely can score points that’s for sure. Then again Nurse is just as bad defensively and doesn’t score points, so there’s that. Also, L/R balance is a thing.

16. npanciroli says:

Didn’t Ristolainen get pumped like Nurse but put up PP points?

Shattenkirk has a fat face so that’s a non-starter for me.

17. Rondo says:

What an embarrassment for Elliote Freedman and CBC calling Michael Phelps race wrong.

Rondo:

Meh. The color guy led him and Elliotte was left holding the bag. I bet Elliotte feels like absolute hell and the color guy feels even worse.

19. Water Fire says:

Ristolainen is going to be a force based on established play. Just like he was pre draft. The only question is will he play defensively as strongly as the rest of his play and be in the realm of Keith and Doughty.

A guy his size, RH , huge skill and fast holds the world in his hands. And he’s a Finn so not a lightweight
    likely either.

20. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Meh. The color guy led him and Elliotte was left holding the bag. Ibet Elliotte feels like absolute hell and the color guy feels even worse.

I’ll take Friedman on my broadcast any day of the week 🙂 Also, Holy crap congrats to Penny!!!!

Centre of attention: I’ll take Friedman on my broadcast any day of the week ? Also, Holy crap congrats to Penny!!!!

Amazing story. Chills!

22. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Amazing story. Chills!

Connor Turner ‏@ctoverdrive 6m6 minutes ago
    For the record I just tried to make a sandwich in 52.70 seconds and failed at opening the bread bag… #Rio2016

I’m with this guy.

23. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: Holy crap congrats to Penny!!!!

Um, does he shoot right?

24. Centre of attention says:

JDï™: Watch Nill capitalize on the value of Oleksiak’s increased trade value. “There’s gold in them thar genes!”

Um, does he shoot right?

At this point I think the Oilers are going to try Dustin Schwartz out on the power play. All the goalies he shoots on in practice say he has the hardest slap shot they faced, so here goes nothing?

25. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: At this point I think they are going to try Dustin Schwartz out on the power play. All the goalies he shoots on in practice say he has the hardest slap shot they faced, so here goes nothing?

I shoot right.

26. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: All the goalies he shoots on in practice say he has the hardest slap shot they faced

Also, that says more about the Oiler shooters than it does about Schwartz.

27. Gerta Rauss says:

npanciroli: Shattenkirk has a fat face so that’s a non-starter for me

lol…this is awesome

We need to add this to the Woodmoney metrics

28. Gerta Rauss says:

And thanks for the Cockburn LT-you’ve checked off all my requests with the Cancon format

29. JDï™ says:

Gerta Rauss: you’ve checked off all my requests with the Cancon format

Ahem – Queen City Kids?

C’mon Mr Pantsonfire!

30. Centre of attention says:

JDï™: Also, that says more about the Oiler shooters than it does about Schwartz.

I think the goalies were all tongue-in-cheek when they said that, FWIW lol.

Hardest shot on the team right now would probably be Davidson. That clapper is ridiculous. His only issue is setting up for it more, and listening to him on CHED today he said that’s exactly what he is working on. He’s setting up obstacles and skating/shooting around them trying to find the gaps. I have faith in the guy.

31. OF17 says:

Watching in the US. What happened with Friedman?

32. Loyal2theoil says:

Some really good tidbits from Davidson courtesy my hometowns paper.

33. Younger Oil says:

OF17:
    Watching in the US. What happened with Friedman?

The main commentator (not Friedman) got Phelps and Lochte mixed up, so he was going on about how great Lochte was doing, and how Phelps was fading down the stretch, and Friedman followed the other guy’s lead. Kind of funny to watch their mistake and subsequent embarrassment, but not a huge deal.

34. Westchester Oil says:

Penny’s athletic achievements leapfrogged (and then some) older brother Jamie’s accomplishments in the last few days. Will Kia do the same to Darnell?

By the way, NBC must be desperate for water polo commentators since they’ve got Pierre McGuire doing colour. He didn’t say too much, though, when I was watching.

35. OF17 says:

Younger Oil,

Gotcha, thanks.

36. Woogie63 says:

I see Khaira replacing Hendricks role later this year and then Letestu’s role next year. Big, strong, nice skater who can post up on the PP.

37. Woogie63 says:

JDï™,

Man don’t show that again, I just got back to sleeping all the way through the night ?

38. maxwell_mischief says:

great stuff!
    I took a hiatus that no one would have noticed after I kinda blasted an article.
    Misplaced aggressions I am sure, and my sincere apology, because i am a loyal Lowetide reader.

But Jujhar
    I think he could be a guy to step in on his next contract and produce a little and give some energy to the bottom half of the lineup. He looked, to me, very capable of playing with skill. Similar in a way to Reinhart (who must have had 5 or 6 great looks in the slot on great reads offensively, and if he buries two of them, we are talking about him as an entirely different prospect on this blog).
    Jujhar was awesome on a line with… was it Nuge and Ebs? He was driving the net, making big physical plays, literally opening up the ice for other players in the O zone. i definitely noticed him in games, provided a “presence”, and projecting him forward a couple years, once he grows into his shoes, will be a valuable checker for the Oilers.

39. BONE207 says:

Now that the hate has died down here, how about LT writes about perhaps a Nurse RE to the famous Nickelback tune of “Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)” to get everyone into the weekend? Maybe put a timeline on the posts so that every can vent one last time as we go down the stretch to training camp.

40. semi legendary rot lobster says:

blue has been saved
    phew
    how do u spell relief
    b l u e l o b s t e r

41. Bank Shot says:

If things break right for Jujhar he could be a 15 point 4th liner that can bang and hopefully kill a penalty and that would be just fine.

Lets hope he somehow exceeds all expectations and becomes a Dwight King/Pisani type on this roster.

42. Jethro Tull says:

JDï™: I shoot right.

Not according to WG.

43. Ribs says:

Loyal2theoil:
    Some really good tidbits from Davidson courtesy my hometowns paper.

“That’s one thing my dad always told me and is something I tell the kids, play with your heart and the rest will take care of itself.”

This guy rocks. I hope he sticks around for a very long time.