Back in early December, we talked about the roster Peter Chiarelli would go to war with in 2016-17 and how he might spend the money. At the time (here), the thought was NHL teams would have caps around $74.5 million. The final number was $73 million, making these numbers even tighter.
PROJECTED 2016-17 ROSTER IN EARLY DECEMBER 2015
- Goal (0)
- Defense (5): Andrej Sekera (5.5); Oscar Klefbom (4.1); Mark Fayne (3.625); Andrew Ference (3.25); Darnell Nurse (1.713); TOTAL $15.332
- Center (5): Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (6.0); Connor McDavid (3.775); Leon Draisaitl (3.4); Mark Letestu (1.8); Anton Lander (.988). TOTAL $15.963
- Left Wing (4): Taylor Hall (6.0); Benoit Pouliot (4.0); Lauri Korpikoski (2.5); Jujhar Khaira (.894). TOTAL: $13.394
- Right Wing (3): Jordan Eberle (6.0); Nail Yakupov (2.5); Matt Hendricks (1.85). TOTAL: $10.350
- 17 PLAYERS, $55.039
- CAP ROOM: $19.461 (If we knew the actual number, it would have been $17.961).
LIKELY 2016-17 ROSTER, EARLY SEPTEMBER
- Goal (2): Cam Talbot (4.167); Jonas Gustavsson (.800). TOTAL $4,966,667.
- Defense (8): Andrej Sekera (5.5); Oscar Klefbom (4.167); Adam Larsson (4.167); Mark Fayne (3.625); Andrew Ference (3.25); Brandon Davidson (1.425), Griffin Reinhart (.863); Darnell Nurse (.863); TOTAL $23,860,000.
- Center (5): Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 6.0; Connor McDavid 3.775; Leon Draisaitl 3.4; Mark Letestu 1.8; Anton Lander .988. TOTAL: $15,963,000.
- Left Wing (4): Milan Lucic 6.0; Benoit Pouliot 4.0; Patrick Maroon 1.5; Matt Hendricks 1.85. TOTAL: $13,350,000.
- Right Wing (4): Jordan Eberle 6.0; Nail Yakupov 2.5; Zack Kassian 1.5; Iiro Pakarinen .725. TOTAL: $10,725,000.
- Buyout: $.500
- OVERALL TOTAL FOR 23: $69,364,000.
I ran the bonus numbers for Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, but left off the bonus totals for Darnell Nurse and Griffin Reinhart. I have Jesse Puljujarvi starting the season outside the NHL (although I believe he will be on the opening night roster) and obviously Andrew Ference would be replaced when placed on LTIR.
So, question: With the dollars available, do you:
- LTIR Ference, add Puljujarvi on RW and hope JP, Nail and Kassian can find the range on lines 2 and 3?
- LTIR Ference, add Mike Richards and use him as 3C when Leon plays RW?
- LTIR Ference, recall Anton Slepyshev and see if he can push his way onto a skill line?
- LTIR Ference, recall Jujhar Khaira and maybe move Maroon to RW on the 2line?
- LTIR Ference, pick up the best available waiver player?
- LTIR Ference, trade Nail for Cody Franson (and a pick) plus send out one of Darnell Nurse or Griffin Reinhart whilst calling up one of Khaira, JP, or Slepyshev?
Thanks in advance.
NIGHTMARES, I AM HAVING NIGHTMARES..
So Tuuka Rask. He was just average (.915) a year ago in net, but the three year trend remains strong. Rask is extremely well paid, aging (six months from 30) and he has a modified no-trade beginning next summer. I am not in favor of a trade for Rask, but make no mistake: I would take Brad Marchand on my team any day.