I DREAMED YOU PAID YOUR DUES IN CANADA

He was a year and two months into his entry-level deal when the call came—and Jujhar Khaira did not wither under the bright lights of the NHL. He survived, contributed, impressed, and with one year left on the three years of his contract, JJ Khaira is poised to push for more than 15 games (as he saw in 2015-16). In the words of the great philosopher Izzy Mandelbaum, it’s go time. He went from 1.05 to 2.06 in estimated points-per-60 in the AHL year over year and the Oilers are going to need inexpensive depth players. Jujhar Khaira, come on down!

SLEPYSHEV

• Todd McLellan: ‘He’s an NHL prospect and looks more confident because he understands our game and the language now. I expect him to push really hard this year. I thought he did a lot of good things on the ice today — by himself, rushes, one-on-one play. That will evolve into good team play.’ Source

I see Slepyshev as having a bit of an edge on some of the contenders this fall, because he can play both wings. Edmonton may run with 8D, meaning one fewer forward. Todd McLellan kept Slepyshev a year ago,  and early indications this year have expectations high. Could be a good sign for the Russian winger.

CENTERS

McLellan mentioned yesterday that the lack of McDavid, Nuge and Leon gives the camp centers a chance to shine. If we look at the group who were employed as centers yesterday, there may be some clues about how management sees the current group:

• Lucic – Caggiula – Eberle
  • Pouliot – Letestu – Puljujarvi
  • Maroon – Lander – Yakupov
  • Benik – Hendricks – Kassian
  • Pitlick – Vesce – Versteeg
  • Christoffer – Sallinen – Slepyshev
  • Beck – Khaira – Pakarinen
  • Moroz – Platzer – Russell

I have no idea how to handicap this race (Letestu has a 4C job, Hendricks likely 4L) beyond Drake Caggiula is getting a push and two new hires—Vesce and Sallinen—are unknown at this time. The fifth guy may well be Anton, but he needs to push it at TC starting tonight. Mark McNeill could be out there, too.

THE BLUE

• Klefbom – Larsson
  • Simpson – Fayne
  • Nurse – Davidson
  • Reinhart – Gryba
  • Oesterle – Benning
  • Laleggia – Musil

This is an interesting group. If you put Andrej Sekera in the Simpson spot, and then Simpson where Laleggia is placed, that is pretty much the depth chart you and I would come up with for the team. Encouraging. If they run eight defenders to begin the season based on this list, Musil will have to clear waivers and Gryba gets signed.

TROUBA

I do not think Darnell Nurse is going to be part of this deal, because the Jets will need someone who can play in the top 4D immediately—Nurse is not yet that player. Brandon Davidson could be part of a package, although it is fair to question how well known he is among NHL management people. I don’t really buy that argument, but it is one you will see today.

Davidson wouldn’t be enough, and I am fairly confident another NHL team would be able to satisfy the Jets requirements successfully. I think the best Edmonton could offer is something like Brandon Davidson and Griffin Reinhart, or Brandon Davidson and Ziyat Paigin. A three-way deal may also work and this deal either happens very soon or could drag out into the season.

I do not think the Oilers will trade their 2017 first-round selection. The club is without a second-round selection, so trading the first would mean the 2017 draft would be a possible write-off—too much risk for a team still building a useful organization.

NEW MASCOT

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. World Cup of Hockey, Jacob Trouba.
  • Andy McNamara, TSN-4Downs. Eagles! Holy hell! Wow! Plus the Cowboys, Patriots and tonight’s game.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Trouba for Nurse? Tonight’s doubleheader between Flames and Oilers.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. I will have a GDT up at 5pm. This is it!

198 Responses to "I DREAMED YOU PAID YOUR DUES IN CANADA"

1. defmn says:

Totally agree on the mascot. I couldn’t care less for myself but it is a great entry for events related to kids. And it is nice to see the current management pay tribute to the guy who got things started.

2. Woogie63 says:

Sekera has played against the top players in the world and has looked great. I wonder if he plays next to Larrson and leave Klefbom room to grow into the role?

3. SumOil says:

After a long winding off season pre season starts today and I hope the games will provide enough fun for improving the baseline mood of us fans. God knows all the losing has taken a huge toll on us and our morale as fans.

On Trouba. I think this guy is what is needed to push us over from possible runners to serious players. If 2017 first rounder is one of the ask then go for it

4. leadfarmer says:

Now that the Okla Homa girls are gone this franchise needed a new mascot, and despite LTs calls ScarJo has filming obligations. So they went for something for the kids. Well at least it will take their attention away from watching us getting slobbering drunk and making asses of ourselves with their little judging eyes.

5. anjinsan says:

This is off topic, but nevertheless food for thought regarding Oiler management dysfunction.

Imagine how Team Europe would have done had Eakins been behind the bench instead of Krueger.

We had Krueger but MacTavish pissed him away in favor of Eakins because MacTavish said he was impatient for results.

Krueger was bringing along Yakupov just fine. Yakupov had the shooting %age you expected and was the Oilers top goal scorer.

6. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

For my fellow nerds on these boards, the first thing I thought of when I saw the Mascot was a Kilrathi from the Wing Commander video games. So that was a nice nostalgic moment.

But yeah, who cares. It’s less offensive than the Bakersfield mascot, that’s for sure.

7. Jethro Tull says:

I see the Trouba situation slightly different, LT.

Both parties are being selfish, which is OK. Trouba wants paying, also wants to play higher up the order but is behind Buff and Myers.

WPG wants a high end prospect on a value contract. I other words, they want some other GM to have done their due diligence with a good young player and have signed him to the contract that WPG should have signed Trouba to last year. And that’s what’s going to cost them. This “like for like” is just posturing for moral justification in case they can’t get a good deal for Trouba and decide to can him.

I mean, all things being equal, at the moment, Davidson isn’t worth Trouba. But wait! There’s more! Davidson could slot in the top 4 this year, and he only has to steadily improve, along with his contract, to be nearly as good as Trouba. That’s worth a lot more than you think. And why should we develop Davidson, get him onto a nice contract, look forward to his continued improvement, only to trade him for a player with an agent known for his avarice on a team that fucked up signing him earlier?

If this is the case, Davidson is too much for Trouba. Eff the Jets management. Eff ’em.

8. leadfarmer says:

Reinhart Gryba again. I know they want him to get more physical but that pairing is listed under redundancy in the Oxford dictionary. Gryba would look a lot better with Davidson. I hope Chia just flips him before his value drops more.

9. RyMosh4 says:

What does McKenzie mean ‘the team that drives the door down’? Sounds like a cross-breed of a few expressions and I’ll admit I don’t know what it means.

10. Jethro Tull says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: That Mascot will terrify a whole lot of three year olds, which should be pretty entertaining in it’s own way.

I LOLed at this. I love slightly sinister mascots. Live in fear, kids!

“If you’re not good then you have to spend the game holding Hunter’s paw!”

11. Jethro Tull says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: Wing Commander

Freakin’ awesome. Until the movie. Eff you Freddie Prinze Jnr.

12. Pajamah says:

Has everyone seen the picture of Hunter, our new mascot in the Journal??

My one and only issue, is that mascot is for kids the way Freddy Krueger or Jason Voorhees is for kids.

That thing is fucking terrifying. I tell you now, my 5 and 7 year olds would lose their minds around this thing (although my 7 year old hates mascots in general)

Could have made it more friendly or cartoony.

13. МАГИЯ 10 says:

There better not be any long losing streaks now that the Oil have hired Hunter to entertain three year olds. 😉

14. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT! Refuse get excited about signing Trouba, because it would be so great for this team… Oil does have the opportunity for a top-shelf top-4 D, and relatively cheap

– The “perceived” value that Nurse has now has to be at highest: he doesn’t have to be protected, his pedigree is high, his potential still “untapped”

– It would be interesting to know what the Winnepeg scouts think of Nurse.

– I’d still trade Nurse +, even if I was certain Nurse was going to develop into his ceiling in 3 years,(which is shut-down scary beast D, with not great offence), for Trouba now and a “cheap” top-4 D

15. Ducey says:

LT, if they run 8 D to start the season, are they not more likely to keep Oesterle instead of Reinhart?

Oesterle is a lot cheaper and doesn’t have a big bonus to worry about.

Heck, if Musil shows anything, they might keep him a the #8 D ahead of Reinhart. They have been loath to waive people in the past, and again he is cheap like borscht.

16. linkfromhyrule says:

Great point about the mascot LT, Twitter is really the place where nuance goes to die. People are so quick to condemn everything the Oilers do, even if it really has no bearing on the on-ice product.

I’m torn on Trouba, some metrics say he is really good without Stuart and could be ready for a higher spot in the lineup. The stats also liked Dougie Hamilton a lot prior to his trade to the Flames. I think it’s safe to say he has not lived up to expectations there. Trouba certainly seems to believe he is ready for more.

There is always a level of uncertainty about how well a defenseman will perform after a trade to a different team/situation. Combine that with the high acquisition cost and the high salary demands, I just don’t really see a fit that works well for the Oilers. Plus Chevy seems like an astute trader, he has done well with trades so far.

17. dustrock says:

LT it’s like you were aiming your mascot rant directly at my Twitter account! 😀

I was going to make the snarky comment that kids will enjoy seeing Hunter the Lynx at community events, since they won’t be able to afford any games at the new arena but that was just too much snark for Monday morning.

Didn’t get a chance to peruse last night’s thread, but a couple of points that I’m sure astute people have already mentioned:

(1) In the Saturday scrimmage, Caligula had the game winner in OT and I believe Versteeg had 2 assists. Good to get noticed early.

(2) On Larsson, I think McLellan also mentioned that one of the assistant coaches (Scott?) was on NJ for a while, and Larsson seemed to understand quickly what they were asking of him, saying they did things the same way in NJ. Which seems hard to believe given the finished product 😀

18. dustrock says:

RyMosh4:
    What does McKenzie mean ‘the team that drives the door down’?Sounds like a cross-breed of a few expressions and I’ll admit I don’t know what it means.

I think he meant “kicks the door down”, but in this case, literally driving a car through the door to try to get Trouba. So they are the most desperate to get him.

Although I’m looking closely at Don Sweeney.

19. leadfarmer says:

Jethro Tull,

Yeah I don’t see how they get a young top 4 defenseman that’s is cost controlled for a disgruntled not yet proven to be a top 4 defenseman who supposedly is asking to be paid like a top 4 defenseman. GMs don’t make trades just for the sake of making trades. I’m sure Chevaldayoff is getting a lot of calls that resemble Reinhart and Yak, but I’m guessing Trouba requested a trade a long long time ago and now made it public to try and light a fire under Chevaldayoff, but if he had a trade lined up that he could live with he probably would have gotten rid of his problem child. For anyone suggesting Nurse plus I doubt Chia even offered Nurse. This brain trust is very high on him and by giving him a top 4 defenseman right of the bat as a partner it seems like he will get every chance to succeed. These guys have been searching for a Phaneuf type player for ever. They aren’t going to let him go now that they have him.

20. МАГИЯ 10 says:

Ducey:

Oesterle is a lot cheaper and doesn’t have a big bonus to worry about.

21. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

МАГИЯ 10,

If we don’t lose Reinhart we will lose one of Pouliot, Yakupov, or Davidson. I’m not sure Reinhart is the top of that list.

22. Bruce Wayne says:

How the Trouba situation plays out will be interesting. Three things I know for sure.

1) The Jets aren’t going to get a young, cost controlled, able to play top four D, left handed shooting defenseman, with an equivalent reputation as Trouba. That player doesn’t exist. They are going to have to settle for something else, which makes Nurse an eminently reasonable offer.

2) The Oilers love Nurse beyond all reason and will never trade him. Nurse is the second or third most untouchable player on the team.

3) The Jets, while trading a very similar player to Adam Larsson, will get much less than Taylor Hall in return.

23. jonrmcleod says:

Looks like Marchand isn’t going anywhere:

Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie
    Brad Marchand’s extension with BOS is done. Should be an 8-year deal at slightly more than $6M AAV.

24. dustrock says:

Marchand extension done

25. МАГИЯ 10 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    МАГИЯ 10,

If we don’t lose Reinhart we will lose one of Pouliot, Yakupov, or Davidson.I’m not sure Reinhart is the top of that list.

26. Litke 94 says:

Thank you for your paragraph on the mascot Lowetide. I am sure many of us are thinking the same thing this morning. Unfortunately, it seems that the only way to be looked upon as cool is to take the easy path and pile on with the others. It’s sad really.

It’s funny too because if people would just read the Terry Jones article they would have gotten all the explanation needed on the new Mascot, as well as the line about the kids loving it.

Oh well. Guess that is just how it is today. Reaction first, research later. I’m just happy the kids will have a new entry into becoming an Oilers fan. Good day for the youth of YEG.

27. Bruce McCurdy says:

Quoted for truth.

28. kinger_OIL says:

МАГИЯ 10: Next year Reinhart will be at the age where most of Oiler fandom was ready to expose Davidson to waivers. The important part of your comment was “I’m not sure”. That’s exactly why the Oil will place Reinhart exactly where they have the best chance to be damned sure at the end of the season. Again $ will be secondary to that. GMs are like that when they spent a lot to get a young D. If starting in the A gives the Oil the best shot at having Reinhart emerge this year that’s where he’ll start.

– I have created this whole narrative in my head, with nothing to substantiate it:

– Griff is Chia’s guy, Nurse is OBC

– Griff vs Nurse is Chia’s line in sand and stamping his authoriti on this team. They have given Griff the “slow-play” development. Nurse the OBC: “sink or swim”

– Of course I’m cheering for Nurse, but should Grif end up the more effective D, really does Chia need anymore evidence to finally get rid of the rest of the OBC rot?

29. Bruce McCurdy says:

jonrmcleod:
    Looks like Marchand isn’t going anywhere:

Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie

30. Bruce McCurdy says:

leadfarmer:
    Reinhart Gryba again.I know they want him to get more physical but that pairing is listed under redundancy in the Oxford dictionary. Gryba would look a lot better with Davidson. I hope Chia just flips him before his value drops more.

31. DRFNsuperstar says:

Those lines are probably going to be changed for tonight, I’d say Lucic-Caggiula-Puljujärvi will be the feature line in Edmonton. Pouliot-Letestu-Eberle in Calgary.

32. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Bruce McCurdy: Reinhart-Gryba is a redundancy? I’d suggest if you see Reinhart as another Gryba that you don’t really “get” what his game is about. His game is far closer to Davidson’s in style than it is to Gryba’s.

Agree to an extent, but I don’t think he’s quite there as a puck mover yet. I’d say a more natural pairing would be Reinhart/Benning and Oesterle/Gryba, but really this is nitpicking.

33. 31saves says:

dustrock,

I just had the terrifying thought of a chara for trouba swap. Clearly wouldnt happen, but could you imagine a defense with myers, byfuglien and chara???
    What would be the pk strategy for that? Get out of the way and pray?

34. leadfarmer says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Really? you see him as a smooth skating crisp passing two way defenseman?

Reinhart is a lot closer to Gryba than he is to Davidson. Reinhart is more of a modern defensive defenseman than Gryba but he still is a one dimensional defensive defenseman. People really focus on the physicality way too much. Davidson excels in getting the puck and moving it the other way. Reinhart is a box protection D.

35. Offside says:

What are the odds the Jets get a more useful defenseman for Trouba than the Oilers got for Pronger?

36. Bruce McCurdy says:

leadfarmer:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Really? you see him as a smooth skating crisp passing two way defenseman?

Reinhart is a lot closer to Gryba than he is to Davidson.Reinhart is more of a modern defensive defenseman than Gryba but he still is a one dimensional defensive defenseman.People really focus on the physicality way too much.

I see him as similar to Davidson in terms of calm, steady, heady play. Plays the contain game rather than being a big boomer, and some folks despise that in a big defender. Can break a cycle and get the puck to the good ice, and is a better passer than rated.

Truth be told Reinhart’s game reminds me more of Randy Gregg’s than of any current Oiler. He’s got a ways to go, then again Dr. Gregg himself was 26 when he played his first NHL game. Reinhart is still just 22.

37. flea says:

Forgive my ignorance, but where are McDavid and Nuge? World Cup was over for them last Wednesday? Is the team giving them a little break or something?

38. Bruce McCurdy says:

flea:

Back tomorrow.

39. Little Poteet says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

You mean the live condor?

40. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Little Poteet:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

You mean the live condor?

I was actually referring to the giant orange penis.

But yeah the live condor had it’s own unique set of problems.

41. dustrock says:

flea:

Yes McLellan specifically said they had been training hard with TNA for 3 weeks and deserved a little time off before the season.

42. papa96 says:

Hunter, don’t let MacT get too close!

43. commonfan14 says:

On Hunter, my sick three year old just said she liked the new kitty.

And that’s from a girl who made me turn off “The Trouble with Tribbles” yesterday because Spock had “scary ears.”

44. B S says:

papa96:
    Hunter, don’t let MacT get too close!

That just cracked me up, thank you.

45. LadiesloveSmid says:

this Trouba situation feels like the Hamilton/Hamonic/Barrie/Subban before it

I daydream about Trouba skating the puck out of trouble in the defensive end, head up the whole way, while Calgary puts their winning bid of Lance Bouma and Emile Poirier in

46. delooper says:

I’m kind of guessing whether or not Hunter the Lynx is seen as fun or terrifying will depend a lot of who is wearing the suit. The person they used to “sell” the suit to groups of kids looked like a terrific mascot-driver, or whatever you call such a person. If you put someone that’s less athletic and less animated in the suit it’ll be more scary.

47. Oil2Oilers says:

Just took a peak at the new mascot. It is great! This big kid in his 40’s want’s a 5′ tall stuffed version sitting in the corner of his TV room. A little secret for those worried about it scaring small kids, kids dig scary.

The fact the mascot is named after one of my favourite commentators here is all the better. It allows me to assume the person wearing the outfit has a few drams before putting the head piece on! Should I every chance to meet it and it does not have whiskey breath I will be sadly disappointed and try and fix the problem with a round on me.

Very excited that hockey is back, if the Oilers can make it until Xmas before being eliminated from the playoff race it will be a very good winter indeed.

48. treevojo says:

Bruce McCurdy: Marchand’s selection to Team Canada isn’t looking so bad as some expressed initially, is it?

I am sure they are eagerly waiting behind their keyboards for Marchand to make his first mistake or to take an untimely penalty.

At that time they will come out with the “I told you so’s and I am brilliant and hockey Canada is full of idiots and inbreds”

Or maybe could it be that Marchand is a real good player and excellent pick and hockey Canada isn’t run by complete morons.

I guess we will have to wait for their 15th and 16th consecutive wins.

49. stush18 says:

Woogie63:
    Sekera has played against the top players in the world and has looked great.I wonder if he plays next to Larrson and leave Klefbom room to grow into the role?

I think the “plan” imo is

Klef-Larsson (top line, all zones)
    Sekera-fayne (dzone)
    Nurse/reinhart/musil/gryba/etc (whatever’s left)

Sekera fayne handled themselves well enough against top lines last year that I think you could slot them into the dzone all the time and be happy with the outcome.

Klef is our most offensive weapon, so I’d like to give him a zone start push whenever possible.

50. Professor Q says:

jonrmcleod:
    Looks like Marchand isn’t going anywhere:

Bob McKenzie
    @TSNBobMcKenzie

Gaudreau level, or would Johnny be wanting 7-8?

51. jonrmcleod says:

Edmonton Oilers
    @EdmontonOilers
    #Oilers going to CGY: Maroon-Lander-Yak, Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian up front, Davy-Nurse, Oesterle-Gryba on D, Gustavsson-Brossoit in net.

52. Ducey says:

МАГИЯ 10: Just a thought, But unless they think they can hide Reinhart for a year 4 hours down the road from Vegas, they’ll do whatever maximizes development and evaluation of Reinhart. They need to make a decision on GR at end of the year and they won’t do anything that lets him emerge next year with Vegas instead of this year with Edmonton. If that’s a start in the A and finishing the year in the NHL then so be it. But $$$ will not be the driver. Not with expansion looming.

If they play Reinhart for less than 41 games they save a lot of bonus $. The $ is of concern because of the cap. An extra $1 M for Reinhart might put them in a bonus overage.

Between watching him in the A, and playing him 30 something NHL games, they should learn all they need to know.

They need to make a decision on him anyway, as he needs to clear waivers next season.

53. Centre of attention says:

jonrmcleod:
    Edmonton Oilers
    @EdmontonOilers

The Calgary squad will get slaughtered.

54. jonrmcleod says:

Edmonton Oilers
    @EdmontonOilers
    Bear-Jones the other #Oilers D pairing in the Calgary group. Other forwards include Slepyshev, Sallinen, Russell, Chase, Christoffer.

55. zatch says:

commonfan14,

Good news, she can recognize aliens already! That’s a good sign.

56. delooper says:

Nice, Seven Nation Army is Team Europe’s theme song for the tournament.

I’ve got fond memories of wandering around Rome after Italy won the World Cup of Football. You could hear the chant / beat / hum of Seven Nation Army for about three days 24-hours-a-day, after that victory.

57. JDï™ says:

jonrmcleod: Edmonton Oilers
    @EdmontonOilers

Might have to see if I can get a cheap ticket for this one. The last preseason game I saw here sported a lineup including Sugartits.

58. Younger Oil says:

I’m not at all against having a mascot, but I am a bit surprised they decided to go with tentacle faced demon nightmare fuel as their top choice.

I agree that mascots should be for kids, but that is one of the least kid friendly mascots I have ever seen.

59. Protagonist says:

Professor Q: Gaudreau level, or would Johnny be wanting 7-8?

60. Ribs says:

And here I thought they had named him after the longtime Lowetide commenter! I suppose he’d have to be wearing some WWII attire of some sort for that to be true, though.

Don’t really care about mascots, but this one looks a bit more terrifying than other kitty cat mascots from around the league…

I looks like no one knows what kind of animal the Wild’s mascot is supposed to be. Cat? Bear? Bearcat? Who knows!

From what I remember about mascots as a kid, they were primarily used to bait my little sister into going to any kind of sporting event, lol. Whatever works!

61. leadfarmer says:

Bruce McCurdy: We certainly agree on that last part. Do they want Reinhart to be more physical? Absolutely. But is it his defining characteristic? Not at all. It’s just one tool in his shed.

I just don’t like that he gets saddled with Gryba while Nurse keeps getting better partners. I think Nurse who needs help with box protection should be paired with Gryba while Reinhart who needs a little help in the two way game and with speed could use a quick two way D like Davidson. Nurse and Gryba get compared with advanced stats from last year but Nurse did it with a master turd polisher Sekera while Reinhart is still trying to shake Gryba. I do wonder how a stronger Nurse,by reports he gained 10lbs, and a better skating Reinhart compare, I hope working on it all summer will show in camp.

62. Protagonist says:

Protagonist: I have to think that Gaudreau sees himself as a sniper first, an elite finisher. The tendency is around the league is to view Marchand as a pest, one with good hands, but a pest. A heart and soul guy. I’d have to think Johnny hockey isn’t looking for similar, but more money to Gaudreau, since we venerate the elite players more than heart and soul and hands type guys.

Don’t read this as an attack on elite players and a desire to trade for more, “Heart,” but we pay the elite players more than the heart and soul. So Johnny is going to want more, not comperable.

63. Water Fire says:

In my viewings Reinhart seemed to read plays well. What I look for (which after years of stats here I have a better understanding of what my eyeballs look for in players I like) with D is how fast they retrieve the puck and what happens when they move it.

The really good guys have understated games, they are so efficient, and the play gets down the ice and stays alive if their play forward puts a player in a good position to also make a good play. Or they carry it in and get it deep and the forwards retain possession. 5 feet off of where the puck needs to go into the corner and possession is lost.

There are always broken plays, but the good players drive play successfully more than not – positive Corsi.

I think this year with the stronger forward group the contextual issues will be more smooth, more help on break outs and better plays into the O zone.

We’ll see the D in a more true light this season. I feel if Reinhart gets NHL games and has better mobility which was hurting him – being slowish took his time away – he’ll take a step and will also be more likely to be more assertive if he’s chasing the play less.

My issue with Gryba and Fayne aren’t that they are bad, but aren’t solid enough with the process. Fayne defends the lanes to the net but doesn’t retrieve quick enough and his plays aren’t the best.

Gryba gets the puck back in a hurry – he’s really great a a well timed check that kills cycles, but gives the puck straight back too much or has to look for his partner which is often the same thing.

64. leadfarmer says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Sorry Bruce, I was quickly typing on my phone at the doctors office. I just reread my post and that wasn’t meant to be as dickish as it came out.

65. leadfarmer says:

Professor Q: Gaudreau level, or would Johnny be wanting 7-8?

I would think if he wanted less than 7 million the Flames would just give it to him.

66. Cameron says:

I have to say that as a RH shot Dman, Trouba’s age and quality are exactly what the Dr ordered to bring balance to the Oilers roster. But the cost?

If Chiarelli flips Puljujarvi and Nurse for Trouba and, say Brendan Lemieux, do Oilers fans riot?

A defense corps of; Trouba, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Davidson, Fayne/Reinhart is easily the best in a long, long time, and has a very legit top 4 that can grow with McDavid.

But the price would be; Hall, Puljujarvi and Nurse.

Because major surgery leaves scars.

67. delooper says:

Oilers-Flames preseason game, with the Oilers missing most of their centres. . . or Clinton-Trump?

I think Clinton-Trump wins. Sorry Oilers.

68. T0ML says:

I think i’m in the minority of adult fans …. But I actually like the mascot. Living in Orlando we have the Solar Bears (ECHL) here … And I grew up with what I consider the bad ass version of our mascot, looked cool….when they returned re-branded, they re-did the mascot to be “big and lovable” …. I actually read an article on it when it returned about mascots being big fat and lovable.

Hunter is not the case, it takes me back to watching IHL growing up, I love it.

69. TheOrangeDesk says:

I know Woodguy did an article on L-R Dmen playing their proper side but has anyone looked into whether offensive Dmen vs defensive Dmen effect the results. Brodie plays his offside and is quite effective there, I wonder if there is anything of interest there….

70. leadfarmer says:

TheOrangeDesk:

Or if a player has experience playing his off side versus playing it for the first time. I would think a player playing his off side for several years would be more used to it then someone who just got thrown into it. I’m guessing while not ideal, some players do better at it then others and it’s hard to lump everyone together

71. Water Fire says:

I just checked out the pic of Hunter. It is a life like version of a Lynx. In terms of decision making that to me is the best route, and probably the best for kids as well educationally. Some children are frightened easily and/or by different things. Each of mine is different. There is no possible way to ensure everyone likes a mascot.

72. delooper says:

Water Fire,

As a kid, I was most afraid of Mickey Mouse.

73. Ribs says:

Water Fire,

The mascot was voted for by Edmonton school kids. Should be a hit! 🙂

74. delooper says:

I think with Mickey Mouse, the fixed happy expression always seemed deceptive to me. What’s it trying to hide with that cemented smile and hyper-childlike exaggerated expression? It’s trying to kill me, that’s what it’s doing!

75. treevojo says:

Cameron:

But the price would be; Hall, Puljujarvi and Nurse.

Because major surgery leaves scars.

Just a horrible troll job

76. treevojo says:

Cameron,

I am hearing through my sources that little Johnny won’t sign for a cent under 9 mil!

77. Water Fire says:

delooper:
    Water Fire,

As a kid, I was most afraid of Mickey Mouse.

I never trusted Minnie.

78. Oilspill says:

Wha whoa whoa! There is no metric about physicality other than hits but it’s way more than that. Why is Chia bring in big MF ERS. PHYSICALITY creates real possession man. Big fights of checkers and big takes pucks away.

leadfarmer: a

Wo

79. JDï™ says:

delooper: Sorry Oilers.

#maketheoilersgreatagain

80. leadfarmer says:

Well at least it’s not the Condors mascot. That thing is creepy.

81. Bruce Wayne says:

Cameron:

But the price would be; Hall, Puljujarvi and Nurse.

Because major surgery leaves scars.

Please, Puljujarvi alone is an overpay for Trouba. This is an absurd, even for you.

Bruins did great with Marchand. He was the one player chosen over Hall I thought was reasonable.

82. Soup Fascist says:

RyMosh4:

Yeah that quote kind of sucked the hind banana

83. Jethro Tull says:

Cameron:

But the price would be; Hall, Puljujarvi and Nurse.

Because major surgery leaves scars.

LOL, Trolly McTrollface!

84. Cameron says:

treevojo: If you are going to throw your line in the water you should at least put some decent bait on your hook.

Just a horrible troll job

Since what I wrote could have come from any Edm fan, I am forced to agree.

85. Jethro Tull says:

Cameron: Since what I wrote could have come from any Edm fan, I am forced to agree.

Well, Chevy had the chance to get Pool-Party once and turned it down….

86. Water Fire says:

Are we seeing a trend with US players and money? Is it just Trouba and Mighty Mouse and seems like more?

87. Water Fire says:

I hope Connor goes easy on the Oilers.

88. Cameron says:

Bruce Wayne: Please, Puljujarvi alone is an overpay for Trouba.This is an absurd, even for you.

The question is a reasonable one to pose, you have a Trouba sized hole in the D corps (it is visible from space), and a winger prospect they covet in return, the team already traded Hall to get Larsson (an enormous overpay), would you bite the bullet again to land Trouba?

If not, are you prepared to go forward (again) with a roster that is missing a major piece on the backend? For how long?

For years fans here have suggested dealing a winger for a RH dman, offering Eberle and Yakupov up in every configuration imagineable. Now you have a chance to flip a winger for someone who is a nearly perfect fit, and you want to squeal about the price?

Would you prefer to offer up The Nuge? (Personally, I dont think so, your mileage may vary)

89. Visually better says:

LT was that Mclellan quote about Slepy from this year or last year TC?

Reinhart healthy and not playing tonight, bizarre. Hope to hear more about why

90. Doug McLachlan says:

Cameron,

I think LT did a fine job of explaining how the Oiler “gives” probably won’t match the Winnipeg “asks”.

I am curious if there might be a fit with a three-way deal involving revisiting the Anaheim forward ask (at the deadline apparently Pouliot was on the table) for surplus D (say Fowler) to give Edmonton the young LHD with the offensive upside to deal to Winnipeg.

Trouba, Lindholm, Risto in Buffalo – lots of pieces yet to fall into place but interesting options still out there.

91. Ducey says:

Water Fire:

I am confused. Are we talking Mighty Mouse or Mickey Mouse?

92. Doug McLachlan says:

Cameron,

Winnipeg has not indicated that they covet a winger. All the verbal is a comparable LHD. You are trolling Cam. Fine if you wish but don’t suggest it’s something else.

93. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Cameron,

Winnipeg has not indicated that they covet a winger.All the verbal is a comparable LHD.You are trolling Cam.Fine if you wish but don’t suggest it’s something else.

94. delooper says:

Cameron:

IMO it’s an empty discussion. It seems highly unlikely the Oilers would deal for Trouba. It sounds like Winnipeg wants something in return that would make the trade at best a wash for the Oilers. In situations like that, management tends to stick with what it knows. So, there’ll be no trade.

Between the trade parameters and the potential Trouba salary demand, this seems like a non-starter.

95. МАГИЯ 10 says:

Visually better: Reinhart healthy and not playing tonight, bizarre. Hope to hear more about why

Source for the lineups? All I see is the lineup for the split squad game in Calgary. Have not seen the lineup for the other bunch playing in Edmonton tonight.

oilers.com: “Also not surprising is the fact that the squad heading south down highway 2 will be a little less on the experience side than the squad christening Rogers Place this evening. The top line consists of Patrick Maroon, Anton Lander and Nail Yakupov.”

Landered and Marooned tonight. But top 3 minutes!

96. Little Poteet says:

Visually better,

The Sleppy quote was from yesterday, I heard it in an interview from yesterday

97. delooper says:

МАГИЯ 10,

The lineups are on the Oilers site. Reinhart does not appear to be on either team.

98. delooper says:

МАГИЯ 10:
    Landered and Marooned tonight.

The Saturn V line.

99. МАГИЯ 10 says:

delooper:
    МАГИЯ 10,

The lineups are on the Oilers site.Reinhart does not appear to be on either team.

Got it. It was under @ Edm Morning Skate.

77 Klefbom – 6 Larsson
    84 LaLeggia – 5 Fayne
    80 Niemelainen – 83 Benning

100. Melvis says:

Jujhar. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I haven’t been to Tennessee lately, so I’m wondering about that jar upon a hill, and the slovenly wilderness surrounding it. Hopefully, its a thing of the past.

I don’t know about kids, but Allie, my new rescue moggy is all over it. And the keyboard, the screen, and every other damn thing in the house.

One more thing on branding, that jar, and it’s contents.

” J.P.Wiser…tastes like whiskey.” All I can say, it’s a good thing the ad agency (John St.) isn’t handling a major pizza account.

Yeah, off piste, but Bill Hunter also sold a lot of advertising.

101. LadiesloveSmid says:

You’d think with Treliving willing to trade Hamilton to move up from Tkachuk to Puljujarvi, a flames fan would get his calibre. Though Hamilton’s offensive game hardly makes up for his defensive play, so sort of a neutral asset.

102. Doug McLachlan says:

Cameron: Word is Wpg is interested in pairing Laine with Puljujarvi. No point in making that up.

This sentence phrasing is almost Trumpian in its construction. Whose “word” are you referring to?

I see a bunch of pre-draft speculation that WPG might be looking at Puljujarvi instead of Laine – not that I put a lot of stock in that – but nothing to suggest he would be the desired return for Trouba.

Trouba would be a great acquisition for the Oilers but acquisition cost – not to mention the anticipated post-trade cap-hit – seems prohibitive.

I like the idea of a three-way deal through Anaheim but don’t know if the expected LHD return, Fowler, is the basis of a deal Winnipeg would do. I suspect he’s not enough.

103. StixMalone says:

treevojo:
    Cameron,

Looks like Johnny isn’t playing hockey in Calgary or anywhere any time soon….

104. Bank Shot says:

McKenzie saying Oilers might have a piece. Saying though that the Oilers are the team that drives the door down for Trouba.

Am I the only one who thinks these two sentences don’t make any damn sense.

Oilers have a piece of what? What does driving the door down mean?

105. delooper says:

Bank Shot:

Am I the only one who thinks these two sentences don’t make any damn sense.

Oilers have a piece of what? What does driving the door down mean?

Piece is colloquial for gun. You’d drive down a door with a really big and heavy Segway.

This means the Oilers have become Segway terrorists, or home invaders.

106. Water Fire says:

Ducey: I am confused. Are we talkingMighty Mouse or Mickey Mouse?

Delooper is afraid of Mickey Mouse, I don’t trust Minnie, and Johnny Money reminds me of Mighty Mouse in his hockey DB pic. And he’s pretty small.

107. JDï™ says:

This mascot seems pretty terrifying: http://tinyurl.com/zy6o4rr

Edit: And I say that because it’s a large bearded man who looks about to bite someone, not because of what he appears to be wearing on his head.

As for the Oilers, they could have done worse in the mascot selection: http://tinyurl.com/hfv57am

108. vinotintazo says:

Can we trade Hunter Lynx for Trouba?

109. LadiesloveSmid says:

Bank Shot:

Am I the only one who thinks these two sentences don’t make any damn sense.

Oilers have a piece of what? What does driving the door down mean?

I am with you 100%, think we need to check what’s in Bob’s coffee and how strong it is. No idea what that means

110. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan:

I like the idea of a three-way deal through Anaheim but don’t know if the expected LHD return, Fowler, is the basis of a deal Winnipeg would do.I suspect he’s not enough.

A. I’m not a jounalist (I just play one on tv), so I don’t recall where I got it from (but most probably talking with Bob), but it didn’t strike me as unreasonable, especially given that Edm has already dealt Hall for Larsson.

B. The ‘seems prohibitive’ is where I’m actually heading. We’ve had discussions (for years now) about how to fix the Edm blue, and how they won’t win anything of note till it is addressed. So, here is a guy who fits the bill to a ‘T’, he’s not too old (Byfuglien), not breaking down (Bogosian), is a RH shot (unlike Fowler), and for the moment, not too expensive (Subban). So Wgp calls, offers Trouba and asks for Puljujarvi, and you…hang up? I assume that at some point Edm is going to find a RH defender, probably a good one, to be part of the teams core. I also assume that paying that player fairly is the intent. Given that, if Trouba is aquired is it really his contract $ you are worried about (I’d assume he gets Hamilton $), when you finally have a defense corps that has three righties (2 verygood ones), and three lefties?

C. I don’t see how Anaheim gives Fowler to Edm. Unless the winger heading back is….Puljujarvi.

D. Let me frame this a different way, if I told you the Oilers would have a legit top 4 D, that playoffs were a real chance, that LT was cheerfully posting his ‘Balance’ picture, and that the cost would be Puljujarvi, would you do it?

111. Cameron says:

LadiesloveSmid:

112. dustrock says:

Bank Shot:

Am I the only one who thinks these two sentences don’t make any damn sense.

Oilers have a piece of what? What does driving the door down mean?

As I said earlier, I think he meant a stronger reaction than “kick the door down for Trouba”, meaning they’ll drive their car through the door SMASH.

It’s the only explanation I could think of.

113. striatic says:

“If you are riled up about this, or have expressed disdain, rage or outrage, I would ask you to take a moment to think about why a mascot exists. Along with branding, mascots often become a focal point for young fans, an entry into fandom.”

“I will also tell you it pisses me off no end that Youppi! is now a Montreal Canadiens mascot, another injustice done to my beloved Expos.”

I think the issue most people have is not with the existence of a mascot for the Oiler, but in how terrible the chosen mascot is.

Youppo! is a brilliantly designed mascot. Bright colours let kids and parents spot him easily wherever he is in the ballpark/arena, Big, high contrast eyes and mouth that make his features easy to discern from a distance. Cute, friendly look and a puffy outer shell that lets kids hug the mascot without feeling the performer inside the suit. The outer shell also broadens the movements of the performer making them a little slower and and less intimidating to kids.

Now look at Hunter, possibly the most poorly designed mascot I’ve ever seen. Everything about the design is wrong. The mascot has fur that is literally camouflage. The eyes and mouth are, as a result, low contrast and difficult to discern from a distance. When you do get close enough to the mascot to make out the features, they are angular and predatory. This would be fine if they were also big and cartoony but instead they are primordial nightmare-fuel nestled deep in the chasm of the uncanny valley. Worse, the mascot suit would best be described as “lithe”, encouraging the performer to make rapid “energetic” unpredictable movements and making the mascot look just like a regular guy with fuzzy mittens and a really weirdly fanged lynx mask.

I think mascots are amazing, and given the size of the new arena and the real work the mascot has to do, they could’ve really used a pair of two different but related mascots to cover the arena. Then parents wouldn’t have to cross the arena to get a photo with their kids, or to allow one to be with the crowd while the other was engaged in on ice intermission antics. The Seahawks have double mascots to handle this problem, and though their stadium is significantly larger they also have a cheer team to handle some of these duties. Problem is, the current iteration of Hunter seems to have more in common with taxidermy than kid and parent friendly mascot design. I’m glad the Oilers are making this attempt but the execution is really poor.

114. LadiesloveSmid says:

Cameron: As I understood it Treliving was trying to trade up to get Puljujarvi, and in the negotiations realized that Vancouver was going to pass on Tkachuk, thus leaving him for Calgary, and nixed the deal.

115. hunter1909 says:

“Some days I truly believe Oilers twitter has lost the ability to think. The Oilers introduced a new mascot today, it is a Lynx named Hunter.”

My battery of expert lawyers have been informed of this copyright outrage – If it’s not sorted out fast I’ll need a new brother in law.

116. hunter1909 says:

Rumor has it the Oilers were close to naming their new mascot: “Godot10”.

117. stush18 says:

No they were trying to trade up, but when chiarelli realized that Columbus was going to take Dubois, he backed out and say happy with JP.

The flames were happy to grab tkatchuk, but he fell to them out of luck. Watch the videos. Treliving and jarmo were pissed off. Chiarelli ran to the podium with a big grin.

118. Protagonist says:

hunter1909:
    Rumor has it the Oilers were close to naming their new mascot: “Godot10”.

clapping.gif

119. Soup Fascist says:

vinotintazo:
    Can we trade Hunter Lynx for Trouba?

Hunter Lynx IS Jacob Trouba

Jacob Trouba IS Hunter Lynx

120. stush18 says:

LadiesloveSmid: Word was player X(maybe RNH?)+4th was going to CBJ, Hamilton+6th+ to Edmonton, Milano+3rd to Calgary. Chiarelli picked up on Kekelainen’s desperation to trade the pick and get a centre, and opted out to have Pulju land in his lap. EDM would have taken Juolevi at 6 over Tkachuk if he’d been there

I think stauffer said the oilers would have taken Sergachev if they hadn’t grabbed JP.

But ya I told Cameron the same thing. It was chiarelli who mixed that deal.

121. JDï™ says:

vinotintazo:
    Can we trade Hunter Lynx for Trouba?

Doubtful, but I think a Hunter for Reider trade is a real possibility.

122. classict says:

Bank Shot:

Am I the only one who thinks these two sentences don’t make any damn sense.

Oilers have a piece of what? What does driving the door down mean?

The original quote on twitter was corrected shortly after to “the oilers *aren’t* the team that drives the door down”. So they may be after him, but they aren’t going all in on him.

123. Doug McLachlan says:

Cameron,

A. So you are just floating this out there because… trolling. Fine, spitballing. To be fair suggesting RNH is similar – talent for talent. The issue is WPG’s need is their stated need – a comparable young and upcoming d-man who can play in the top 4 as a LHD. See Gary Lawless’ twitter feed for confirmation of the ask.

B. The cost is always dear for limited items and skilled RHD are just that. Trouba was under the watchful eye of both Chia and McLellan at the World Cup so they have had a close look at the asset in question – no doubt they have a good sense of what is on offer but while Larsson’s price was known ($4.1M for many years) I don’t think we know for certain what Trouba’s price is. Let’s say it is Hamilton money and Hamilton term. Doable. I still don’t think that Puljujarvi is the ask from Winnipeg but if it is, ok.

C. Unlike your suggestion of Trouba for JP, I am revisiting a well reported trade-deadline deal centering on Pouliot for Vatannan (since signed by Anaheim). Poulot got hurt so the deal, to the extent that the rumour was accurate, fell apart – though Anaheim and the Oilers still did the smaller deal for Maroon – suggesting to me, at least, that there was something to that discussion. Anaheim’s LW depth is Ritchie, Raymond, Cogliano and Garbutt so ya I think they might be interested in revisiting the Pouliot discussion.

D. I think playoffs are a real possibility with the changes already made and the, presumed heath of Klefbom and McDavid, but the goal of any GM is to improve the team for now and the future. On June 1st if the offer was unsigned Trouba for the Oiler’s 1st that deal would have been made without much hesitation. Pool Party looks pretty amazing in Copper and Blue but I might well consider it – the issue, as stated repeatedly, is that this isn’t what Winnipeg is asking for.

124. OF17 says:

A Trouba trade would hurt. No question about it. Mulling it over again last night, a series of two moves might make sense for everyone involved.

Nurse + Davidson + 1st for Trouba + Lowry + 3rd
    Yakupov for a 2nd

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
    Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl
    Maroon-Lowry-Versteeg
    Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Trouba
    Oesterle-Fayne

Talbot
    Gustavsson

Two legitimate 1st lines, a two-way 3rd that should put up ~80 points total, a pretty good gritensity 4th, two passable 1st pairings, a solid 3rd, and a playoff calibre starting G. We lose picks, but we still end up with a 2nd and two 3rds at the end of the day.

Winnipeg gets a 2LD that can transition into a 3RD if and when Nurse and Morrissey develop and a really good pick. They give up Trouba, a promising 3C in Lowry they have the prospects to cover for, and a pick just inside the top 100. What they lose hurts too, but I think what they gain makes up for it.

The team above isn’t just built to make the playoffs, but to advance in them IMO.

125. Frank the dog says:

anjinsan: , Jacob Trouba.
    Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Trouba for Nurse?

126. Drew says:

Oil2Oilers:

All i can visualize at the moment is our Hunter in the suite running into MacT and beating the lips off him and having it posted on youtube.

127. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan,

I believe I made clear this is a hypothetical trade, but you continue to point this out so I’ll formally concede up front it didn’t appear on Gary Lawless’ twitter.

My point on Trouba’s $ is that if he is good he’ll get paid like he’s good. He won’t be be underpriced (like Larsson or Brodie), so there isn’ any ‘extra’ value in his next contract, but he’s not going to get Subban $ either.

I think the Oilers are closer to the playoffs with Larsson, but will miss absent another top 4 D addition to the right side (and I think in your heart of hearts you think this too).

I also think that if they added Trouba and B.Lemieux for Nurse and Puljujarvi, that with a balanced roster, and more specifically a solid top 4 on D, playoffs would be a real thing for many years.

I guess I’m saying ‘hell yes’ Id make that deal (though I would make great efforts to get Nik Ehlers or Kyle Connor back instead of Lemieux), McDavid’s contract and best years are now – make hay while the sun is up.

128. JDï™ says:

Frank the dog: Todd had the better Roster.

The minute he lost Ekblad, and then Murray, their fate was sealed.

129. JDï™ says:

High Octane Speculation:

Reino scratched tonight because he’s included in Trouba trade negotiations?

130. russ99 says:

The new mascot is interesting, and I love that it’s named after “Wild Bill” Hunter. Classy move.

Interesting Moroz is getting a game tonight, gotta be pretty close to last chance Texaco.

Bummed by the Alberta/Saskatchewan webcast restriction tonight, really wanted to see the new barn on TV. Is the reason they can’t do a US/Canada webcast due to advertising or part of the cable deal?

Guess I’ll have to watch our wonderful presidential candidates debate tonight rather than the Oilers in their new home. 🙁

131. vinotintazo says:

JDï™:
    High Octane Speculation:

Reino scratched tonight because he’s included in Trouba trade negotiations?

as per Gregor he tweaked something.

132. МАГИЯ 10 says:

Frank the dog: It’s also noteworthy that Krueger’s team is in the finals and Todds never made the elimination round, particularly seeing that Todd had the better Roster.

133. Richard S.S. says:

Children will google up the picture of a lynx (looks are very similar to actual mascot). They would not be happy if it looked different. I suggest everyone else do the same and avoid pissing LT off.

“Some days I truly believe Oilers twitter has lost the ability to think. The Oilers introduced a new mascot today, it is a Lynx named Hunter. If you are riled up about this, or have expressed disdain, rage or outrage, I would ask you to take a moment to think about why a mascot exists. Along with branding, mascots often become a focal point for young fans, an entry into fandom. My kids don’t even like baseball, but if I said we were going to a game with Homer in attendance, they would go! Seriously. I will also tell you it pisses me off no end that Youppi! is now a Montreal Canadiens mascot, another injustice done to my beloved Expos. So, if you are reading this having ripped off several clever tweets about the idiocy of the new mascot, may I ask you one question? Did you ever think, even for a moment, that this mascot is for the kids, and not you? Get over yourself. PS, nice touch naming him after Bill Hunter, a pioneer of the franchise and the original owner/manager/coach/window washer.”

134. striatic says:

МАГИЯ 10: It’s also noteworthy that both of their teams won 2 of 3 games in the round robin.

135. Fog of Warts says:

RyMosh4: What does McKenzie mean ‘the team that drives the door down’?

Based on Harmonic analysis, he’s referring to one of those old automatic garage door systems that open and close for mysterious reasons, such as the metal plate in your strange uncle’s cranial war wound encroaching within a one block radius (given that your garage door is powered by a refurbished elevator door motor—that’s the official story—that crashed to earth from a giant levitating hubcap (rather ruining the radar signature of a perfectly good crop circle) this particular garage door is strongly biased to close rather than open).

Anyways, that’s my inspired gloss, for what it’s worth.

Also, I had a mental flash of Wayne and Garth head-banging in the AMC Pacer, only it was Yak and Lander, and they weren’t singing along to Bohemian Rhapsody, they were going mental together on We’re Not Going to Take It.

I sure hope that song means what they think it means, supposing they think it means what I think they think it means; it worries me though, after that knowing look they exchanged as they sized up that first telling line card.

Come on guys! It’s an anthem to kick ass, not an anthem to turn tail.

136. striatic says:

Richard S.S.: Children will google up the picture of a lynx (looks are very similar to actual mascot). They would not be happy if it looked different

This is exactly the reason kids around the world dislike Mickey Mouse and Kermit the Frog.

137. Richard S.S. says:

For all those wishful thinkers, ask yourself, “Is Darnell Nurse a NHL-caliber top-4 D right now?”
    Brandon Davidson is a NHL-caliber top-4 D right now and might become more.
    Darnell Nurse is an NHL work-in-progress who’ll unlikely be more than a bottom-4 D ever.
    Both are LHD that fit Winnipeg’s Ask although something more might be needed.
    Jacob Trouba is a top-3 RHD that Peter Chiarelli has been after since acquiring Larsson.

138. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Quoted for truth.

Seconded.

I don’t mind Hunter, and fully realize that I am not the target audience.

Besides, in a fight with a hound named Harvey, my money is on the lynx.

139. МАГИЯ 10 says:

striatic: It is also noteworthy that Europe’s one loss came at the hands of mighty Canada, whereas North America’s loss came at the hands of lowly Russia.

And Europe beat the lowly Czechs and no skill Americans, Whereas NA beat the lofty Swedes and tenacious Finns.

But wait NA lost to the Czechs in the exhibition round, so clearly the Euros were better.

But then again the Euros got thumped by NA in Quebec. And again in Montreal.

Mugs game. Two great outings by two young teams and two great wins by each in the round robin.

140. striatic says:

“I think the best Edmonton could offer is something like Brandon Davidson and Griffin Reinhart, or Brandon Davidson and Ziyat Paigin.”

Those are both great deals for Edmonton. As good as Davidson is now, Trouba is better and more importantly younger. The other pieces are unlikely to get the roster space in Edmonton with Trouba around anyway.

I wonder if the Oilers trade for a pick in order to threaten an offer sheet and drive the trade value down a bit. The problem is the Chiarelli pick owed to Boston, resolving that issue would allow the Oilers to offer Trouba 7.5 AAV in return for a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd round draft picks.

Given the Oilers desperate RHD situation, it might be worth it to pull the trigger on such a deal, though it does have Kessel for Seguin and Hamilton written all over it.

141. RexLibris says:

jonrmcleod:
    Edmonton Oilers
    @EdmontonOilers

Sounds like LOTS of ice time for everyone tonight. Coaches will get a good look and I’ll expect cuts to come shortly thereafter.

Wonder if they’ll keep Benson around for as long as possible to rehab his injury and practice with the professionals for awhile. Suspect mgmt may have some misgivings about his continuing on with Vancouver in light of this injury.

142. striatic says:

МАГИЯ 10: Mugs game. Two great outings by two young teams.

Either way, two Oilers on to the finals versus Canada.

I’m especially excited for Sekera making such a good showing. I’m a fan of this player and he will be a very important part of the Oilers coming out of this next season with any degree of dignity.

143. striatic says:

russ99: Bummed by the Alberta/Saskatchewan webcast restriction tonight, really wanted to see the new barn on TV.

Usually they quietly lift the regional ban a few minutes after the game starts. Been that way the past few years for these early pre-season games.

144. Bruce McCurdy says:

leadfarmer:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Sorry Bruce, I was quickly typing on my phone at the doctors office.I just reread my post and that wasn’t meant to be as dickish as it came out.

No worries. My issue was with the point itself, not the way it was expressed.

145. Truth says:

It’s funny / odd that the Jets removed Trouba’s name off the roster list on their website. Not that a trade is imminent, but I would assume they’re intent on getting him out of town before too long.

I’d have no problem with the Oilers giving up Nurse and Yak for Trouba and a contract. I keep hearing that the Oilers shouldn’t be worried about the expansion draft, but acquiring a good young player that needs to be protected for one that doesn’t needs to be considered a bonus for the Jets (in this instance).

146. Minister D- says:

“Nightmare-fuel”; “terrifying”? Oh, for pete’s sake. Can someone tell Mrs. Lovejoy over here that Hunter was actually *chosen* by schoolchildren? It would appear that the majority of people frightened of him are, ironically, adults. My two-year-old and his three-year-old playdate burst into a giggle fit at seeing the “funny kitty.”

Adults behaving like (their idea of) children. Must be hockey season!

147. stevezie says:

I don’t know Cameron from Adam so I’m not sure why I care, but it bugs me when people call him a troll. At worst he see the world through slightly (but reasonably) Flames coloured glasses, which if you sub the team name is true of almost everyone here.

Also considering JP and Laine’s comparable ages, background, and established chemistry, I think it makes a lot of sense for the Jets to consider the deal. Especially since, as The Wayne Foundation pointed out, JP is an overpay for Trouba.

Also everything Cam said about Trouba is true. This would the best top four since Souray-Vish-Gilbert-Greb (in his one competent year) and the most balanced since we were a cup threat. He’s not cost controlled but let’s just project 6 x 5.5. That’s affordable and we’re now a playoff contender.

Consider also that if we had drafted Trouba with a 4th overall that would be good value. If we had traded the 4th overall for Trouba on June 23 that would have been good value.

Mostly I’m just arguing that we shouldn’t be so touchy about getting outside thoughts from Flames fans. Helps fight groupthink. But would I actually do it?

I wouldn’t do JP and Nurse for Trouba and Lemieux. That’s an overpay. JP for Trouba straight up?

My response to that is the same (though scaled back) as Larsson for Hall. Sure, you could justify it on the basis of needs/availabilities, but it is a big overpay and this team can’t afford to bleed value.

Plus there are too many other options to pursue (many of which have been mentioned here and sound better than JP for Trouba).

The only way I’d do it is if I was convinced of Trouba the way some of you are convinced of Lindholm.

148. classict says:

striatic,

I think if the Oilers make an offer sheet they can defer the owed pick for another year. No need to trade for one. (I don’t think you can actually use another team’s pick in an offer sheet anyhow)

149. stevezie says:

Bruce Wayne: 1) The Jets aren’t going to get a young, cost controlled, able to play top four D, left handed shooting defenseman, with an equivalent reputation as Trouba. That player doesn’t exist.

Is this that far away from Klefbom?

I’d say Klef, Larsson and Trouba are all in a similar boat in the sense that there aregood ways to argue they’re excellent, underappreciated defenceman. Are they?

I wouldn’t do it today- there are too many other avenues to explore and this team needs to win a trade or two, not just balance their roster. But in some hypothetical world where every other option doesn’t work out and I either trade Klef for Trouba or start the season as is, I think I do it.

I look forward to my impending enlightenment. Or education, anyway.

150. striatic says:

Minister D-: “Nightmare-fuel”; “terrifying”? Oh, for pete’s sake. Can someone tell Mrs. Lovejoy over here that Hunter was actually *chosen* by schoolchildren?

The kids chose the idea of a Lynx mascot, not the mascot costume itself.

151. B.C.B says:

striatic,

According to our own Lowetide, the Oilers don’t need their own 2nd round pick next year to make, or threaten, an offer sheet on Trouba. Well, it is because the NHLPA had a grievance about this back in the spring. Short form: if the Oilers did offer Trouba a contract worth a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, they could make it 2017 1st & 3rd, and 2018’s 2nd . . . in theory.

Evidence / Source:

152. striatic says:

classict:
    striatic,

Looks like they’d have to reacquire the Boston pick specifically, and that the Oilers can’t defer Chiarelli’s pick any longer than the two they already have.

153. stevezie says:

I would be hard pressed to care less about the mascot than I do right now, but this team specifically and the NHL in general shows such constant and incredible contempt for its fans that I relish the opportunity to be snarky towards them every chance I get (I am so happy USA lost early and then the boring mercenaries made the finals).

This is probably a moral failing on my part, but I am such an excellent person in other ways that I think it balances out and anyway I have several other worse failings that require all my attention.

But yeah, twitter is a cesspool that largely seems to brings out the worst in humanity and everyone should calm down and care less about pretty much everything. (I hope this doesn’t sound sarcastic, I meant every word.)

154. striatic says:

B.C.B:
    striatic,

According to our own Lowetide, the Oilers don’t need their own 2nd round pick next year to make, or threaten, an offer sheet on Trouba.Well, it is because the NHLPA had a grievance about this back in the spring.Short form: if the Oilers did offer Trouba a contract worth a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, they could make it 2017 1st & 3rd, and 2018’s 2nd . . . in theory.

Evidence / Source:

Question is, is Trouba worth that kind of compensation.

155. JDï™ says:

striatic: Question is, is Trouba worth that kind of compensation.

Think of the punsibilities of a Trouba Klef pairing.

Music!

156. RexLibris says:

JDï™: Think of the punsibilities of a Trouba Klef pairing.

Music!

LT is probably shaking right now at the possibilities.

Or maybe I’m projecting.

157. B.C.B says:

striatic: That’s good news, looks like the General Fanager article doesn’t have it exactly right.

Question is, is Trouba worth that kind of compensation.

I doubt Trouba would sign a offer from another team. If he really wants out of Winnipeg, this is a bad strategy. Winnipeg could just match the offer sheet and he would be in a Jets uniform for the next 5 (ish) years. And why wouldn’t they match an offer that is below 6.5 million? His best strategy is to force a trade.

B.C.B: I doubt Trouba would sign a offer from another team. If he really wants out of Winnipeg, this is a bad strategy.Winnipeg could just match the offer sheet and he would be in a Jets uniform for the next 5 (ish) years.And why wouldn’t they match an offer that is below 6.5 million? His best strategy is to force a trade.

Trouba will be willing to sign an offer sheet midway through November, because if he doesn’t sign anywhere by Dec 1, he has to sit out the season.

So midway through November, one offers him a 1-year $5.5 million dollar deal…

159. Wild Bill Hunter says:

Chia’s has no reason to rush to make a deal for Trouba. Cheveldayoff’s ask is probably excessive right now. But wait after 10 or 15 games when the losses are piling up. If they have one of their top three (Myers, Buf, Enstrom) go down to injury, Kevin’s expectations will drop considerably.

Puljujarvi, Nuge…those are non-starters. I don’t even think Nurse is on the table. Once Trouba decides to play in the SEL with an out clause, Cheveldayoff’s bluff will be called and some team (maybe the Oilers) will pay much less for Trouba than the Jets are asking right now.

160. Yeti says:

godot10: I am for a Trouba trade if it is a trade or three-way trade where the Oilers don’t have to give up Nurse or Davidson.

What would be the maximum you are ready to give up?

161. dunterpunter says:

Any idea how to watch the games tonight? Are these on OilersTV?

I do not have cable, usually use NHLstreams on Reddit.

Thanks All!

162. LMHF#1 says:

godot10:

Why not Nurse?

Trouba’s ceiling is higher isn’t it?

They’re only 1 year apart.

163. dustrock says:

Kinda figure best case scenario for trade value is if Chevy decides to sit Trouba, and the Jets start off super cold while their trade asset eats popcorn.

164. stevezie says:

Wild Bill Hunter: Chia’s has no reason to rush to make a deal for Trouba.

Bingo. Timing is a big factor.

What would Trouba asking for a trade have done to Larsson’s value?

There’s not a lot left.

165. JDï™ says:

Trouba’s agent coming up on W’peg TSN radio: http://player.winnipeg.tsn.ca/

166. МАГИЯ 10 says:

striatic: Either way, two Oilers on to the finals versus Canada.

Yeah. Great outings for both pairs of Oilers.

Based on the actual first games a double elimination tournament would have continued with:

Czechs eliminate USA and play the loser of North America vs. Sweden.
    Russia eliminate Finland and play the loser of Europe vs. Canada.

No Bettman points No tie breakers. Fun for everyone until you lose twice:

Way too rational for the NHL.

167. Frank the dog says:

The last thing we want on our team is a “me first” player. No thank you. He was not TMac’s preferred player in the WC, WP play him where he is because he is not as good as the players ahead of him. Regardless of how good they are. It’s not like CFP and PJ are the two ahead of him.
    I don’t deny he was good enough to get called up to the NA team, but I think all this talk about Nurse, Davidson, picks et al is silly talk. A throwback when we always had to overpay for incoming 2nd rate players. Chia’s blessed with large gonads. I’m of the opinion he sits this one out.
    Roll on the return of CMD, Nuge, Drai Sekera so we can start seeing the new look Oilers!

168. Doug McLachlan says:

stevezie,

I know Cameron from Adam. Adam is taller, fairer skinned and has serious, serious flow. Cameron was the best-man at my wedding not withstanding all his childhood scar tissue formed from the Battle of Alberta (’80s edition).

He’s not wrong about the desirability of Trouba, I just think raising Puljijarvi (a prospect that you should know Cameron was veritably drooling over in the lead-up to the draft lottery) is a “troll” move on his part.

169. striatic says:

You’d have to sign him for 7.5 million AAV. Trouba would surely sign that and WPG would have great difficulty matching given where they want to play him. It is a huge overpay that precludes any positive movement elsewhere on the roster, a likely salary dump of a valuable player [Sekera?] elsewhere on the roster and a big cost in draft picks.

But if it finally gives you an above average defense for the foreseeable future, do you hunt that whale?

170. rickithebear says:

I looked at defensive/off d.

There is this area called hsca were diprpotionate number of goals come from 1/3 the shots.
    Top end hsca d can have forwards as poor as upper 4 th forwards generate playoff goal diff.
    Cap hits as low as 3m.

Top end off d generate below league average offence and reduce even goal efficiency.
    They abandon the defence of the HSCA area.
    Resulting in ga that need a line of top 2 forwards to have a chance at playoff.
    Cap hits of 18 to 25 Mforward lines.

The left right isue is a drop in the goal diff bucket compared to off def d.

171. jimmers2 says:

Cameron,

Of course Winnipeg likes the idea of Laine playing with Puljujarvi. And Matthews looked fantastic with McDavid.

172. Ducey says:

Apparently Mickey Mouse is going to buy Twitter.

Somehow that puts a cap on this thread.

Try criticizing a mascot then!

173. JDï™ says:

Listening to Kurt Overhardt takes me back to the Cheney administration.

But he did suggest that exit meetings last season with the coaching staff, secured Trouba’s future on his off-side in Winnipeg, and that nothing could change their minds on this trade request.

Playing the off-side with Buff or Myers as a partner, doesn’t sound like grounds for divorce to me. Maybe he feels he can put up better numbers on his natural side, which if he gets a bridge deal, will mean the next contract will be Subbanesque.

174. striatic says:

Teddy Peckman got an ECHL gig. Good for him!

175. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Interesting article on Cody Franson, for those of you who are advocating that route:

Seems he’s spent the summer recovering from dizzyness issues resulting from an eye injury. Something to keep in mind.

176. stevezie says:

Doug McLachlan,

Go hang out under a bridge, Cameron!

177. treevojo says:

stevezie,

Just because a poster isn’t a full time troll doesn’t mean they can’t throw an idea out there trolling for an expected negative response.

To me it reeked of trolling.

Chia isn’t trading nurse.

Chia isn’t trading Jesse.

So why not throw both names out there in combination for a disgruntled trouba.

I will take things that are never going to happen for $1000 Alex.

178. Cameron says:

Doug McLachlan:
    stevezie,

I know Cameron from Adam.Adam is taller, fairer skinned and has serious, serious flow.Cameron was the best-man at my wedding not withstanding all his childhood scar tissue formed from the Battle of Alberta (’80s edition).

A. it is true I have serious flow
    B. It is also true I mancrush on Puljujarvi hard
    C. I also think;

Hall>Puljujarvi, and Trouba>Larsson, so if circumstances warrant Hall for Larsson, than Puljujarvi for Trouba should make as much if not more sense.

D. Doug is… ‘sensitive’ about trading Puljujarvi for both Finnish and marital reasons. His overreaction to the suggestion should be viewed in that light.

179. treevojo says:

stevezie: Bingo. Timing is a big factor.

What would Trouba asking for a trade have done to Larsson’s value?

There’s not a lot left.

Trouba asked for a trade before the larsson trade.

So I’m guessing it changed very little.

180. jeremyok says:

stevezie: Obviously I’d rather send some combination of Davidson, Griff and Nurse, but everything Cameron said about our need of Trouba is true, bra. His JP suggestion was too much but if you really believe in Davidson then Klef for Trouba starts to look painful but reasonable. Do Klef’s health concerns balance off the salary difference?

If it’s true that the Jets want an established Top-4 LD of similar age in return, Klefbom would be the closest fit. Not sure how the rest of the league values him (and his contract), but I bet the Jets would at least listen (unlike other options mentioned in this thread). Real trades tend to hurt and create whack-a-mole holes elsewhere — Oilers’ depth in the Leftorium is mostly future depth, and no combination of existing LD could come close to replacing Klef this year or next.

Trading Klefbom is insanity.

182. Cameron says:

treevojo:

I will take things that are never going to happen for $1000 Alex.

Is Puljujarvi for Trouba anywhere near as unthinkable as Hall for Larsson?

183. Doug McLachlan says:

Cameron,

More likely than Gaudreau for Trouba, agreed.

184. Doug McLachlan says:

This too shall pass.

185. treevojo says:

Cameron,

Are we moving the goal posts now.

I will take things that live under a bridge for $2000 Alex.

186. OF17 says:

treevojo,

This is the type of discourse that weighs on our host and very nearly got the comments shut down. Respect for others and all that jazz, especially since the “offense” was merely a trade proposal you didn’t agree with.

187. classict says:

treevojo,

Chia won’t trade Nurse? As many agree here I think if Nurse was the only piece required the trade would have been done no problem by now.

Puljujarvi is a different story given all the question marks now, and future, on the right side.

But I’d have Nurse + picks or a prospect in the conversation no problem. I suspect the jets don’t take that

And really I think long and hard about Nurse+pulju for Trouba+. For all we know Puljujarvi will take 2 years to be an impact right wing. Trouba is impact now, and second line RW’s can often be found as UFAs

188. stevezie says:

I remember you (and other smart people) saying this when Hamonic was available. I didn’t understand it then and I don’t understand it now, and it’s not because we have dramatically different opinion on Klefbom.

It’s not my first choice now, and it sure wasn’t then, but I don’t see why it would be insanity.

treevojo: If I remember correctly your original suggestion was Jesse and nurse for trouba.

He said Nurse and JP for Trouba and Lemieux (who s a pretty good prospect tracking well).

Cameron: Is Puljujarvi for Trouba anywhere near as unthinkable as Hall for Larsson?

No! It’s not!

The Hall trade is one of the strangest I have ever seen and Trouba’s (apperently well known?) availability makes it all the stranger.

I don’t think that JP for Trouba is a good idea (salary being a huge part of that) but if you are laughing at that deal and supported Hall for Larsson…

189. OF17 says:

stevezie:

I don’t think it’s the same thing, because we were in a much better position to trade a forward before the Hall deal than we are now. In terms of quality of player, yeah, I agree with you, but I think the Hall trade was a good idea and am not sold on trading Puljujarvi for Trouba solely because I’m not sure we can spare him.

190. striatic says:

I wonder if WPG would take the 2017 1st, Griffin Reinhart and the 2017 third for Trouba. If you get an agreement to sign Trouba to a 5.5 AAV bridge deal, is gambling with the first overall worth it?

191. classict says:

stevezie,

I’m not sure that Trouba’s salary is going to be that much of an issue. Winnipeg has 7mil in space and Pavelec’s 3.9mil is off the books next year so they shouldn’t have too much problem with a bit of an overpay. It really does seem to just be the left/right thing. As someone said earlier maybe he want’s a bridge deal and thinks he should be on his best side for the duration.

Maybe I’m way off base but I feel like his salary ends up being around 5.5×6.Possibly too high but not a deal breaker…

192. treevojo says:

OF17:
    treevojo,

I wasn’t being rude or questioning his intelligence or being derogatory in anyway. Since I first saw the question I called it for what I pecieved it to be. I was not the only one that called it for what I believe it was.

By how the thread went after it was originally posted it is evident he got exactly the reaction he was looking for.

Just because I am not a regular poster doesn’t mean I don’t read everything on here and I know exactly how things can gain momentum.

Calling somewhat out for trolling isn’t what almost got the comments shut down.

Being disrespectful to the host is a start and being an asshole to other commenters obviously doesn’t fly.

Honestly I wasn’t trying to be an ass to Cameron. Just a little toungue in cheek.

But if lowetide finds my commentary out of line I am sure “he” will tell me to go back to my years of creeping and to keep my humour and sarcasm to myself.

193. treevojo says:

classict,

I think that is where we disagree. I think many people on here would trade nurse as a part of a trouba trade.

I don’t think chia would trade nurse at all.

194. Cameron says:

treevojo,

I figured out a long time ago that no matter what I say someone here will think I’m trolling.

So (with a few historical exceptions) I try to only respond to those who engage in good faith.

195. Klima's_Bucket says:

Cameron,

Thanks for dropping by.
    Love your insights.
    Hate your Flames.

196. treevojo says:

Cameron,

Lol. Maybe it has something to do with that god awful team you cheer for. JJ.

Seriously hope you didn’t feel disrespected. Wasn’t my intentions. Was just joking around a little bit.

Apparently people are quite on edge these days with LT dropping the hammer. I sure as hell don’t want to be the one responsible for putting the final nail in so I will go back dormant for awhile.

197. Centre of attention says:

Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack 3m3 minutes ago
    One small change up front for Oilers in EDM–Pouliot out, Pitlick in.

Obligatory “he’s getting traded” comment. You’re all welcome.

198. jm363561 says:

Doug McLachlan:
    stevezie,

=====

Personally I don’t see the trolling but JMHO.

If it is a troll, don’t feed it.