HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL

If you have been reading this blog for a long time, you will know it is not in my personality to give up on a young prospect. Did you know that Jason Chimera didn’t really establish himself until age 23? Fernando Pisani? 26. Tyler Pitlick turns 25 in November, and while I am not comparing him to either man, I still hold out hope for the player. Lonely spot, mind, but that’s okay, even more lonely over at the Marc Pouliot marching and chowder society.

THOUGHTS ON LAST NIGHT, EDMONTON

All numbers below are Corsi 5×5 percentage.

• R Tyler Pitlick 1-1-2 in 12:51. He made a strange defensive play in the first period but recovered with a goal and two points later in the game. Looked good in possession (73 percent). McLellan: “He had a helluva game. Pitlick penalty-killed, was stick-strong. He bullied his way along the boards, kept plays alive, killed plays in the D zone, managed the game well. I thought he played a power game, in both zones.” Source
  • R Kris Versteeg 1-0-1 in 16:52. He was one of the guys I really wanted to see, because if he can skate (he can) then he makes the club (imo) and if he can bring that kind of effort every night then he is an Oiler. 50 percent in possession. I think it is absolutely reasonable to project him onto the opening night roster.
  • R Iiro Pakarinen 1-0-1 in 14:24. In my mind, he is a bubble player at this point, but he showed up in a lot of good spots visually—and scored a goal. I think we can assume he will either make the team or be a late cut. 50 percent in possession.
  • R Jordan Eberle 0-0-0 in 17:44. He played a lot and didn’t score, but this line dominated in possession. 91 percent Corsi for percentage, the entire line was dominant. They didn’t cash but the puck was headed in a good direction all night.
  • L Milan Lucic 0-0-0 in 17:13. Crazy possession, two takeaways, three shots. I liked his game, and cannot wait to see him with any of the three tenors. 91.67 in possession, excellent passer.
  • C Drake Caggiula 0-0-0 in 18:28. I thought he was outstanding (he was on a feature line, of course) and his 4 SOG reflected involvement. I am pretty sure Versteeg is on his way to a job, and Caggiula is building a resume in that direction (or an early callup). 91 percent in possession.
  • R Jesse Puljujarvi 0-0-0 in 14:31. He played a lot and looked like he was trying to do it all himself. Needs to use his linemates more and this is a good reminder that 20 games in the AHL is not a bad idea. 58 percent Corsi (all of this is 5×5).
  • R Taylor Beck 0-1-1 in 14:49. He was quite noticeable on that Khaira-Pitlick line, I think all three men did a good job of showcasing their skills, Beck may get some NHL time this year. 73 percent Corsi.
  • L Mitch Moroz 0-1-1 in 8:18. A pulse! He was physical, got a couple of shots and had a 50 percent Corsi for (these are even strength, courtesy naturalstattrick).
  • C Jujhar Khaira 0-0-0 in 13:22. I really liked his game, 65 percent in the dot, one takeaway, three hits, two shots on goal and he played in all three disciplines. Part of that effective AHL line, showed good speed and puck skills. 74 percent Corsi.
  • C Ryan Vesce 1-0-1 in 15:02. Veteran got a dandy push and scored a nice PP goal (tip of a Matt Benning shot). I didn’t get a good feel for his speed, but he has skill. 50 percent in possession.
  • C Kyle Platzer 0-1-1 in 11:36. He was 50 percent in possession, he got plenty of PK time. I really hope the Oilers let this kid play in Bakersfield all year.
  • RD Adam Larsson 0-1-1 in 24:08. He had a couple of wacky plays (lost his stick on an early goal) but he recovers like a demon and got a lot done. Two takeaways, shot on goal, two hits and for me it was a solid debut. 71 percent in possession. I thought he was very good overall.
  • LD Oscar Klefbom 0-1-1 in 22:11. He showed that terrific speed several times during the game, and my goodness he can close a gap. The ice surface seems smaller with Oscar out there. Four shots and a takeaway, 70 percent in possession.
  • RD Matt Benning 0-1-1 in 21:36. He had two shots and a block, and I felt he was confident with the puck. We need to remember the level of competition but a solid effort. 60 percent Corsi.
  • LD Markus Niemelainen 0-0-0 in 17:53. He was 70 percent in possession and has good wheels. I did not notice him a lot good or bad, suggesting it was a solid night.
  • RD Mark Fayne 0-0-0 in 15:41. One shot on goal, two blocks and he seemed more mobile than a year ago. He does play off at the blue line though, I think McLellan likes his blue to stand up in those situations. 75 percent in 5×5 possession.
  • LD Ben Betker 0-0-0 in 13:21. Rookie was solid in a limited role, he had one takeaway, blocked a shot and had three shots on goal. I have to say he looked good. 73 percent Corsi.
  • G Cam Talbot. He won the game, but had an .846 SP. First goal was not on him, second one I think you could have hoped for a stop.
  • G Eetu Laurikainen. Two stops, quiet period.
  • Corsi numbers here.
  • Oilers were 60 percent overall in EV corsi, so anything above that was a pretty good night.
  • I will try to re-watch the Calgary game and post a report today. I am reading all manner of good and bad on Darnell Nurse, want to have a long look for myself.

PULJUJARVI

• Todd McLellan: “We may as well cut to the chase, Jesse has some work to do. We’d like to think he can pull through and play on our team but based off tonight’s game—while he has lots of talent, he has to learn time and space at the NHL level. A couple of times he looked dangerous but he has to have the puck a lot more.” Source

The good thing for the Oilers is this: Puljujarvi (as was the case with Mikko Rantanen a year ago) can spend the season in the AHL and have a much better chance next season. This is one game, so we can’t make any sweeping statements, but good to have that backup plan in Bakersfield.

I imagine we will see a few cuts later today and we will talk about them (plus the Calgary game from last night at five this afternoon. Simonelli didn’t get any game action at all, wonder if he spends more of this season in Norfolk than Bakersfield.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy show, beginning at 10 this morning on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Oilers Nation. Camp is underway, will the Oilers sign Versteeg? And what is fair value for Trouba?
  • Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. Jays! Why are the benches clearing?
  • Andrew Stoeten, Blue Jays Nation. Toronto should close this down by Friday.
  • Jeff Hauser, Radio Hauser. NFL weekend, I will try to talk less about the Eagles.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

115 Responses to "HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL"

1. Woogie63 says:

Tyler for Mayor!

2. leadfarmer says:

Pitlick was a good pick. Some guys just get unlucky with injuries. I hope he makes it.

3. papa96 says:

I love the “three tenors” although maybe Drai is a heldentenor, Siegfried type?

4. PaperKurtRussell says:

Hopefully this is the year of Pitlick. Even if he doesn’t make it for opening night, it will be nice to have call-ups who know what the hell they are doing in the NHL. Stay healthy my friend.

5. Atc-Nate says:

It’s awesome that so many are rooting for Pitlick. He’s the new Taylor Fedun. Sure hope he can stay healthy which I think has always been the question.

6. leadfarmer says:

I hope they do some serious cuts and only keep guys who have reasonable chance for a job and have your roster set for the last two preseason games with lines set and guys working on chemistry. I’ve hated in years past how long shots were still fighting for spots late in camp. That’s time to tweek lines not worry about who is your number 5 left winger. That can be sorted out in the Ahl.

7. Clay says:

If Pullyou shows that he needs some development time, I’m fine with that, AS LONG AS THEY SEND HIM SOMEWHERE TO DEVELOP OTHER THAN THE DAMN NHL!!!

I’m more confident that will happen with Chia at the wheel, but there’s still this nagging worry they’ll keep him on the big team for a 39 game “look”.

8. PaperKurtRussell says:

leadfarmer,

I was thinking the same thing last night. Maybe it’s just me though, but it seems that there are a lot more guys “in the mix” this year for those last few spots. Best to cut the never-will-be’s and the juniors soon to give guys like Pitlick, Sleppy, JJ et al a real chance to show their stuff.

9. Bruce McCurdy says:

leadfarmer:
    I hope they do some serious cuts and only keep guys who have reasonable chance for a job and have your roster set for the last two preseason games with lines set and guys working on chemistry.I’ve hated in years past how long shots were still fighting for spots late in camp. That’s time to tweek lines not worry about who is your number 5 left winger.That can be sorted out in the Ahl.

10. jm363561 says:

Great effort by TyPit. Man, KBom looked an absolute stud the last two periods. Best of luck to both of these guys.

11. Fog of Warts says:

Once upon a time, we had a ten-point rack and a pair of nines alternating for most of the game. Mmmmm, three tenors.

12. DRFNsuperstar says:

With the amount of guys battling for a spot on the wing, Mcllelan wanting to give Drai some time at right wing, and the bonus cushion/ cap I can’t see how Puljujärvi isn’t going to start in the AHL. Eberle, Yak, Versteeg, Kassian, Pitlick, Slepyshev, And Beck should be able to fill 5 spots.

13. DRFNsuperstar says:

leadfarmer:

Last year they were split into two groups pretty early (the team and the practice squad). Only Nurse, Davidson, and Slepyshev made the jump from B squad to A squad if I remember correctly. That’ll probably happen today with Mcdavid and Nuge back.

14. Pouzar says:

I am giddy with how good Klef looks this early, competition notwithstanding.

Hopefully he makes trip to the Peg on Friday.

15. Truth says:

Have to give Puljujarvi a pass for last night. First game as the recent top pick of the franchise in the new barn with an excited crowd. I think he expected to dominate like he did in the young star tournament but now realizes the competition is only going to get tougher. I have a feeling he sits next game and shows up big on the road against Laine in WPG.

Although you do touch on it LT, I think Khaira’s game yesterday is being a little underappreciated. Hopefully a few of these guys pan out.

16. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) | Twitter

2 hours ago – View on Twitter

Dreger/Trouba: If his ask remains in $7 million range, good luck. There’s not too many teams, I wouldn’t think, willing to do that. #NHLJets

2 hours ago – View on Twitter

Dreger/Trouba: “Anaheim, w/ their young D, perhaps there’s a fit there.” #NHLDucks #NHLJets

2 hours ago – View on Twitter

Dreger/Trouba: “Detroit, I’m sure, has interest. Boston, of course, has interest.” #RedWings #Bruins #NHLJets

2 hours ago – View on Twitter

Dreger/Trouba: I’m certain Cheveldayoff has been fielding calls from interested GMs for several months. Prob. back to trade dead. #NHLJets

17. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) | Twitter

2 hours ago – View on Twitter

Dreger: “(This summer) Versteeg trained as hard as anyone I’ve seen train, both on the ice and in that gym. This guy was invested.” #Oilers

18. supernova says:

Bruce McCurdy: Never mind 2014-15 where Dallas Eakins’ Oilers went two weeks into the season — and 5 straight losses — while figuring out which of Jeff Petry, Oscar Klefbom and Martin Marincin should sit in the press box so that Brad Hunt could get a game.

Bruce McCurdy,

Man did that frustrated me a lot about Eakins. Treated the first 6 plus games like training camp.
    I should probably go back and look at my comments on this Site about that.

You need to have a plan.

Give your ELC slide players 2/3 Preseason games send them back.
    Give your AHL guys another 1-2 past that.
    Then you are down to your late cuts. Your final 2-3 preseason games should be 80% of your lineup.

You alter your plan when you a more veteran team but with the changes in place they need to run together to build chemistry.

19. supernova says:

Pouzar:
    I am giddy with how good Klef looks this early, competition notwithstanding.

Hopefully he makes trip to the Peg on Friday.

Pouzar,

He was Dreamy :)!

20. leadfarmer says:

supernova,

I would say your last two preseason games should be 95% plus of your lineup. Keep one guy you are undecided on but they should already know who is likely to make the team.

supernova: Pouzar,

He was Dreamy :)!

Once again, my analysis is correct.

/JR

22. dustrock says:

What level of acquisition cost would you be comfortable with to grab Trouba? The thing is, with he, Klefbom and Larsson, you’ve got some core D guys for the next decade. That is a luxury TBH.

Trade for Trouba cannot involve:

Drai
    RNH
    Eberle
    Puljujarvi
    Klefbom

I would probably live with a trade involving any other 2 players (I didn’t list McDavid, Lucic and Larsson for obvious reasons).

23. russ99 says:

It would be great if Pitlick can turn things around and help us at the NHL level.

Looking forward to that other game report, especially about Yak.

24. LMHF#1 says:

That play Larsson made on the Hamilton goal? Not pretty. That was a weak effort. I’ll chalk it up to rust.

Benning stood out – both for the fact that he was assertive with the puck and in the offensive zone – and the fact that he doesn’t recover well enough to play the game he does at that level yet. I’m sure he’ll get better, but he left his teammates in the lurch a few times last night.

Good for Versteeg that he scored. Before the third I found him rather invisible.

The shiny new prospect certainly didn’t dominate. That’s okay. Will help set expectations a little lower. Would have been fun to see that though.

Lucic was taking it easy. That was noticeable. I’m fine with that so long as he’s ready when it’s go time.

25. OF17 says:

dustrock:
    What level of acquisition cost would you be comfortable with to grab Trouba?The thing is, with he, Klefbom and Larsson, you’ve got some core D guys for the next decade.That is a luxury TBH.

Trade for Trouba cannot involve:

Drai
    RNH
    Eberle
    Puljujarvi
    Klefbom

I’d add Talbot to the list, but otherwise I agree. If you can add Trouba without subtracting from the names you mentioned, you have to do it. I’d also have our 2017 1st on the table, even though that would leave prospects a little thin. Thankfully Chiarelli has shown an ability to augment with college free agents in a big way, so losing that 1st wouldn’t be as painful as it would be in most cases.

26. SumOil says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Rookie gm and coach. Sigh. I always liked what dallas eakins had to say. But his on ice results were damning

27. Bruce McCurdy says:

SumOil:
    Bruce McCurdy,

That was Eakins’ (and MacT’s) second season. As I recall the Oilers never played one preseason game with more than 11 of the 20 guys who opened the season. It was beyond frustrating.

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

Btw, that second Calgary goal was just pinball luck. Hamilton’s shot went off Klefbom’s stick, appeared to be going wide until it caught Oscar’s skate, then clipped the post on its way in. Double deflection (both by Klef) allowed the puck to find its only possible route around Talbot. More of a slow knuckleball than a change-up, froze Talbot.

29. kinger_OIL says:

dustrock,

– You trade pool-party for Trouba straight-up in a hurry, but no way the ‘peg does that.
    *assuming you sign Trouba for less than $7MM he is “representing”. Pay him Hamilton money: 6/35 (who recall wanted crazy money, but that was a red-herring to get out of Boston, he signed for a proper amount)

30. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

If Trouba demands that kind of money you don’t trade for him. I’m positive he wants to go south and will keep his ask high for any team he doesn’t want to join.

Contracts matter. Simply saying “sign the man” doesn’t work.

I’ll bet he ends up in Detroit and signs on for 5.5 x 8.

I’m positive the Jets and Oilers talked about this over the summer. I’ll bet they know wether or not he has any interest in playing here.

31. Oilspill says:

A dman wins a tough battle and moves the puck up to a forward who exits the zone. The D changes on his way up. The forewards move the puck into the other zone and get a couple of shots.

A. Who gets the corsi +? The D pairing who got it out or the pairing who just came on and did not contribute to the play? What are the rules for data collection?

32. jonrmcleod says:

Mark Spector
    @SportsnetSpec
    Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones among seven players assigned to junior/AHL by #Oilers

33. Loyal2theoil says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

What would a supposed detroit tradec look like?

Dekeyser/Smith, prospect, pick?

34. bendelson says:

Thoughts on the game at Roger’s Place:

Cagguila and Versteeg seemed to be a cut above the others fighting for those last few roster spots. No surprise here…

Pitlick was also good. Did he go on the IR this morning?

Larsson plays with more of an edge than expected. Nice stick work (as in nice stick to the ribs Adam; nice crosscheck to the back Adam!). Very nice.

No big issue with either goal let in by Talbot.

35. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Loyal2theoil:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

What would a supposed detroit tradec look like?

Dekeyser/Smith, prospect, pick?

No idea.

It’s probably less than you would expect. Detroit tends to find a way, I’m reluctant to suggest anything to be honest. I just know they will make a good push.

36. OF17 says:

#Oilers assign Allen, Benik, Descheneau & Simonelli to @Condors, plus Bear, Jones & Niemelainen to their @TheWHL & @OHLHockey teams.— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) September 27, 2016

Good to see them making some cuts early. Leaves me hopeful that they won’t spend as much time screwing around and more time getting the starting lineup comfortable with each other.

37. bendelson says:

Thoughts on Roger’s Place:

That place is going to rock and roll when the regular season hits – looks to be a ‘loud’ building.

Great sight lines (for most people anyways – whoops!)

The sound system is a serious upgrade. The back of the seats tended to vibrate a little when the heavy bass kicked in…

The scoreboard is ridiculous (in a great way).

The men’s washrooms are terrible – full stop. You’ll see…

The ‘flow’ on the concourse was way worse than it should be… Lots of space but strange line-ups all over the place, blocking passage. Very haphazard. This should hopefully improve.

38. LMHF#1 says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Doesn’t mean that the play shouldn’t have been broken up. Larsson was in position and made a really weak play.

39. dustrock says:

kinger_OIL:
    dustrock,

*assuming you sign Trouba for less than $7MM he is “representing”.Pay him Hamilton money: 6/35 (who recall wanted crazy money, but that was a red-herring to get out of Boston, he signed for a proper amount)

In a vacuum, Jarvi for Trouba I could see.

But he’s a rookie on a cheap ELC and Trouba wants 1 jillion dollars.

We have McDavid and Drai at the least to sign coming up.

Eberle, Pouliot might have to go over Jarvi just economics wise.

40. SumOil says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Damn. .second season eh…my bad.

41. Bruce Wayne says:

bendelson:
    Thoughts on Roger’s Place:

Great sight lines (for most people anyways – whoops!)

The sound system is a serious upgrade.The back of the seats tended to vibrate a little when the heavy bass kicked in…

The scoreboard is ridiculous (in a great way).

The men’s washrooms are terrible – full stop.You’ll see…

The ‘flow’ on the concourse was way worse than it should be… Lots of space but strange line-ups all over the place, blocking passage.Very haphazard.This should hopefully improve.

I went to the Oil Kings game in the upper deck and I really disagree.

1) The sound was terrible. The boards don’t rattle, the puck doesn’t bang, no atmosphere at all.

2) Getting to the upper deck is absurd. You’ll see and it will make you angry.

3) Massive lines everywhere.

4) Of course the hour and a half delay

The plus is that it was very easy to get to and the parking was free but on the whole a disapointment

42. bendelson says:

Bruce Wayne,

I’m not in the upper deck but I can definitely see how getting there could be a real issue…

43. RexLibris says:

Preseason samples aside, I’m going to be paying close attention to CGY’s possession numbers through to the start of the regular season.

Gulutzan is something of a relative unknown still, and has a real reclamation project on his hands in getting rid of the Hartley influence.

CGY has enough talent that if they could play a style that put more emphasis on retaining the puck rather than the fly-the-coop style of Hartley they could finish perhaps five spots higher in the standings.

44. doritogrande says:

Pouzar.

Am I going to see you from my vantage point in 207?

45. John Chambers says:

kinger_OIL:
    dustrock,

But Trouba isn’t the right fit – as others have mentioned he probably doesn’t want to play in Edmonton.

Chiarelli paid big for the best defenseman that he could get with a reasonable if not great contract. We’ll have another opportunity to fill 2RD, especially with the upcoming expansion draft, but we shouldnt have to pay big dollars or a top prospect to accomplish it.

46. Oiln5 says:

Might be a thread too early, but Ethan Bear looks to have some real potential to my eye.

47. Bruce Wayne says:

bendelson:
    Bruce Wayne,

The lower bowls may be different with the sound as well. I foresee a backlash in the future, I was hearing a lot of talk about how the Oilers don’t care about these fans.

Good thing the city spent so much money.

48. bendelson says:

Bruce Wayne,

Yeah – I was going to mention that it appears the Roger’s Place ‘experience’ may vary significantly depending on seat location.

49. doritogrande says:

4 young defenders cut means I have a better chance of seeing Klef-Larsson in Winnipeg on Friday. Hoping to see Reinhart/Nurse and see for myself who looks better currently.

50. dustrock says:

Bruce Wayne: The lower bowls may be different with the sound as well.I foresee a backlash in the future, I was hearing a lot of talk about how the Oilers don’t care about these fans.

Good thing the city spent so much money.

Especially when they keep bragging about how it’s the greatest arena in the world.

51. jonrmcleod says:

Another update from your friendly neighbourhood Twitter-cut-and-paster:

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
    Tyler Benson is taking part in practice and able to take contact

52. doritogrande says:

No chance. At all.

Winnipeg doesn’t even need a 3RHD, they can play Buff and Myers 30 minutes each a night if they wanted to and be better off than giving Fayne even 10 minutes a game (and I happen to like Fayne). The absolute last thing the Jets need (this is including taking back another goalie to add to their factory) is a #3 RHD making coin.

If we’re talking about sending a body back to “cover the dollars”, you’d be closer to the mark offering up Henricks, the Jets are lacking in veteran forwards that aren’t end-of-roster facepunchers.

53. RexLibris says:

Oiln5:

Bear and Jones have both shown well, to my eye. They are D and still developing, so we’re talking two or even four years out right now. But they have the important tools – skating, skill, sense of the game.

54. PigeonCamera says:

Might as well put my thoughts in on Roger’s after two games viewed there. Upper bowl both times, first game behind the Red Deer goal, second on attacking blue line.

The building is awesome and the concourse is really spacious and well planned…on the MAIN level. The 200 level, if I’m getting it right…upper bowl concourse…is a gong show. Trying to get to the bathroom after the first period last night was like trying to cross into a six lane highway…way worse than Rexall. I love the building, but this really makes me sad that they didn’t plan that out. Lineup for concessions was also nasty, and the lineup for the bathroom was about the same as Rexall. Parking was really easy, which is great. Access to the building, and through security was really smooth. No complaints there.

Upper bowl seats are small. They feel smaller than Rexall, and I can attest that the leg room is non-existent. Pretty crappy for the average fan…you almost NEED to get up and stretch your legs between periods…I never needed to do so at Rexall.

Another thing that I’ve seen mentioned a couple of times…people leaning forward in their seats. This IS an issue still…people, for the love of God, sit back and don’t be dicks to the people behind you. It’s potentially worse than Rexall in some spots, as a person leaning forward two or three rows ahead of you can impede your view. This was especially apparent in situations tight to the boards directly in front of us. Now, having the nicest damn scoreboard in the world can really mitigate this…just look up. 🙂

Will the negatives prevent me from going to more games? Nope…I only shell out for a couple a year, so no worries there…it’s still an event, and I honestly find the effort to get downtown and into the building to be way, way less than it was to get to Rexall. That’s a big win. JMHO.

55. RexLibris says:

jonrmcleod:
    Another update from your friendly neighbourhood Twitter-cut-and-paster:

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
    Tyler Benson is taking part in practice and able to take contact

Good to hear. Based on Bob Green’s interview after the draft I imagine he might push to keep Benson up for as long as possible to properly gauge his development.

I wonder if the Oilers might make some calls to the Giants about moving him to the Oil Kings so they can exercise better control of their prospect?

56. Bruce Wayne says:

PigeonCamera,

Agree on all points. Getting to the arena is a major plus. Hell, getting to the arena is the only plus. The location is fantastic. Everything else is terrible.

What a boondoggle.

57. JDï™ says:

RexLibris: skating, skill, sense of the game.

It was tough to really get a good idea of any player in last night’s split-squad chaos, but there was one player who I thought didn’t do anything of note all night – Mr Chase.

Anyone else see him that way?

58. Pouzar says:

JDï™: Anyone else see him that way?

*raises hand*

So yer view of Nurse?
    I see a lot of roving and chaos still.
    Thought he looked good in the offensive zone. Sneaky skills and nice mobility.

59. Pouzar says:

doritogrande:
    Pouzar.

Am I going to see you from my vantage point in 207?

I got Tier 3 friends bro.

Section 303

60. RexLibris says:

JDï™: Both made some strong plays on the puck in their own end last night too. I think the coaches want to get down to the tough decisions quickly (before game 6 of the season), and get Jones and Bear back to junior to give more time to those on the bubble.

Anyone else see him that way?

Chase had a fairly quiet YS tournament as well, imo.

As for Bear and Jones, they seem to be coming along well so I think the Oilers have faith in their junior clubs.

61. geowal says:

So now some folks have had a chance to see some games, and I’ve seen a few comments in this regard:
    I bought a bunch of tickets in one of the corners, I think section 224 (a corner), row “2”. So from what I gather is this what people are referring to with obstructed view row 2 seats? I’m gonna be dragging a bunch of us down to see the new arena and it’s quite likely the only game I’ll see this year. Wondering if it’s worth trying to weasle out of these seats and find different ones, game isn’t until December so have some time.

62. JDï™ says:

Pouzar: So yer view of Nurse?

I’m hoping that as he gets older, he’ll be more in tune with his decisions on roaming. I could see last night being a ‘what the heck’ kind of game for him in that regard, and hope to see more caution exercised as the competition ramps up.

But that top line for the Flames spits was just dominant, as expected. For anyone thinking Nurse/Davey dropped the ball last night, I would point to the rosters and say it wasn’t as bad as that.

Sonofa Gustavsson was surprisingly agile and athletic. But he’s expected to be dominant at this level I guess.

Yak sure can buzz and slash in the o-zone. There was one play where he just kept cutting back and forth in the corner until he lost his check, and then made a nice pass to someone behind the net. He didn’t get a lot done, it seemed, but you didn’t need to see the number on the back to know who it was. I think I also caught him covering for Roman Nurse as well.

I saw some good things from Lander in his own zone (directing the PK), but not much other than that. Looks like #70 could easily be the new Lander.

Maroon doesn’t move like he’s lighter, but we’ll give the big guy some time to get things going.

Kassian covered some ice though. He looked leaner for sure.

Other than that, it was kind of like sitting in hfboards or another forum, but instead of reading anything, you just got to hear the comments close to you. “Why aren’t McDavid and RNH playing tonight?”, “And that German kid – where is he?” Except the floor at hfboards isn’t sticky.

Oh, and that Elliot guy. He’s not going to be a lot of fun this season spits.

63. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

I love the tone around here now. It’s funny I’ve always been a huge NFL guy but was more interested in listening to the Oilers preseason game on the radio then watching MNF last night. Something special about this team I can feel it. News of Gaborik out 20 games for LA combined with loss of Lucic with no obvious replacement puts them in a big hole.

I’m with LT 100% on Platzer. Give the kid the ice time and watch him grow. Betker’s the guy that is really surprising me. HUGE hit last night and looks much quicker. Think we all underestimated him.

On a side note, I just got 2 tickets Nov.1st Oilers at Leafs. Taking my son to his first NHL game on his birthday hope to see Polak get his face caved in again for his hit on McDavid. Can’t wait!

64. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar,
    JDï™,

Guys, seriously. Can you quit this stuff and start insulting other? Sheesh.

65. JDï™ says:

theres oil in virginia,

Eh, your mother wears knickerbockers!

66. Oilspill says:

JDï™: Yes, still has restless leg syndrome, but he sure stands out in that level of competition, and must have played half the game too. Even after a long shift (I think it was on the PK), he’s still mobile and strong. The battles for net presence when killing penalties were all Nurse.

Kassian covered some ice though. He looked leaner for sure.

Oh, and that Elliot guy. He’s not going to be a lot of fun this season spits.

But they we’re bouncing off bodies in possession battles in the corners and behind the net….losing them. Don’t care who you are against you need to win those. Also their passes were for the most part inaccurate.

67. Oilspill says:

I thought the Ozone wasn’t that bad for Nurse until I realized it was on the PP. I hope the league tracks zone possessions for individual players.

Pouzar: *raises hand*

So yer view of Nurse?
    I see a lot of roving and chaos still.
    Thought he looked good in the offensive zone. Sneaky skills and nice mobility.

68. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

Platzer is better than anyone expects him to be every damn year.

69. Pouzar says:

JDï™: LB moves like a dancer in the crease – he’s really something to see live. Whether that’s a good thing or not, I don’t know, but he’s so smooth in transitions across the net that it’s a joy to watch.

There is a goalie guru (can’t remember who) who was raving about his technical abilities on Twitter (dammnit I wish I had his name)
    I saw him last year and I agree, it is something to see live.

70. Visually better says:

“NHL Squad” Lines:

Lucic McDavid Eberle
    Pouliot Nuge Puljujarvi
    Maroon Caggiula Yakupov
    Hendy Letestu Kassian
    Versteeg Lander Pakarinen

Interesting that Puljujarvi and Yakupov getting a push over Versteeg after what I thought was a solid night at Rogers Place. Same goes for Pitlick, i thought both Pitlick and Versteeg had really solid efforts from my view in row 4.

71. Visually better says:

I would also love to see a line of Slepyshev Khaira Pitlick at some point.

72. Mustard Tiger says:

I am of the belief that the concession/washroom lines will improve once people figure the building out and learn the best spots/shortcuts etc. The building is confusing the first time you are there.

I could be wrong, but I think the leaning forward issue is improved from Rexall because the bowl at Rogers is much steeper. This also gives the illusion of more leg room because the top of the back of the seat in front of you is at your ankles, rather than your knees.

Obviously it’s not as nice in the upper bowl as the lower bowl, the tickets cost half as much! Same as it always was, why do people complain about this?

I sat in the upper bowl my only time there so far, and I was in awe of everything. The rink is beautiful. Ignore the complainers.

73. kinger_OIL says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

– I’m going to that game, in Toronto vs Oil! My Brother-In-Law has season tickets: It’s my once annual visit to that awful arena, where I have to endure those awful Leaf Fans! (well went to hockey cup, that was different)

74. russ99 says:

geowal:
    I bought a bunch of tickets in one of the corners, I think section 224 (a corner), row “2”.So from what I gather is this what people are referring to with obstructed view row 2 seats?I’m gonna be dragging a bunch of us down to see the new arena and it’s quite likely the only game I’ll see this year.Wondering if it’s worth trying to weasle out of these seats and find different ones, game isn’t until December so have some time.

They are fixing some of the obstructed views. Not sure if it will be that section, though, or if it will be done by December.

But people aren’t happy about it and the Oilers are listening.

75. JDï™ says:

Oilspill: Don’t care who you are against you need to win those.

Like I said, in a chaos filled split-squad game where the rosters were very unbalanced, I wasn’t worried too much about breakdowns. It was easier to pick out the things that impressed me about each player.

Agreed, those battles need to be won, but until the rosters get whittled down I’m not wasting any angst.

76. Pouzar says:

Visually better:
    I would also love to see a line of Slepyshev Khaira Pitlick at some point.

That would be awesome and better than anything I care to see on line 4.

77. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia:
    Pouzar,
    JDï™,

Guys, seriously.Can you quit this stuff and start insulting other?Sheesh.

I’ve got nuthin…gotta be careful, he is the best counter puncher in the bizz

78. stevezie says:

Ryan Lambert wrote a long (and fine) article on potential players who could get traded straight up for Trouba. Only problem? His list was all rhD.

When it was pointed out Winnipeg wants lhD he doubled down, saying, “left hand and right shot are the same thing. are you new here?”

So am i crazy or is he crazy? He’s crazy right?

79. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

stevezie,

He’s crazy.

I read that article too. It was weird.

I was just about to watch the Calgary game from last night but cannot find the feed. Anyone?

Lambert is wicked smart. Seriously.

82. Jethro Tull says:

Lambert is wicked smart. Seriously.

Smart he may be, but we as Oiler fans know a little about smart men doing dumb things, if there’s ever a concern.

Citing a tweet, then getting it wrong, then failing to admit your mistake? Not a smart move from an undoubtedly smart man.

It just means we no longer have the market cornered.

83. Frank the dog says:

When was the last time we won both Calgary split squad games short our top 3 C’s and one of our top 2 D’s? If ever?

84. Bank Shot says:

Frank the dog:

We won them both last year.

The Oilers are always awesome at preseason.

85. Amadeus says:

Watch Trouba get traded for Lindholm straight up.

86. Bruce McCurdy says:

SumOil:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Damn. .second season eh…my bad.

THEIR bad, was more my point. Just no excuse for it, not even “rookie mistake”.

87. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Amadeus,

I could see it happening if Trouba is willing to sign for $2m less than Lindholm.

88. Water Fire says:

Amadeus:
    Watch Trouba get traded for Lindholm straight up.

I like the 3 way
    Trouba to Oilers
    Fowler and pick fo Jets
    Yak plus to Anaheim

89. Frank the dog says:

Bank Shot: to

We were not short our top 3 C’s or one of our top 2 D then.

90. Amadeus says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Amadeus,

I think Trouba and Lindholm would be willing to sign for $5.5 on a long term deal.

91. Amadeus says:

Water Fire: I like the 3 way
    Trouba to Oilers
    Fowler and pick fo Jets
    Yak plus to Anaheim

I can see this happening, but replace Yak with Pouliot.

92. stevezie says:

He is a smug, arrogant twit, and a really good writer and smart hockey fella. I like reading him and was looking forward to his list. That it wasn’t a simple mistake but a genuine belief I had to double check that I wasn’t the one who has spent the last few decades confused.

93. stevezie says:

When I was a child I thought as a child and thought training camp was an important part of picking the team. Now I see anyone good enough to be an NHL player will still look like one on the farm*.

It’s not an audition, it’s a meet’n greet. Cut fast and build chemistry.

*2015 Draisatl is such an outlier he’s better off ignored.

94. Jethro Tull says:

stevezie:

It’s not an audition, it’s a meet’n greet. Cut fast and build chemistry.

*2015 Draisatlis such an outlier he’s better off ignored.

The top 9 F are virtually set, as are the top 4 D, with only Versteeg making it interesting, but the coaches want to know who can play up the line. Who’s looks good for first call-up?

It’s mainly for the tweeners that the management don’t get to see as much. Sure, there’s the scouting reports, but with a lot of these guys putting up similar numbers, how to differentiate?

I’m on the hiring committee for a new position where I work. Every applicant’s resume is virtually the same, with very similar qualifications and experience. Have to have some way to differentiate, right? Interviews it is. I know some people are better than others, but it’s really the only way.

Unless of course, you’re happy to give a 6 figure job to someone you’ve never met, even if Steve from Accounting says he’s a good guy……

95. Atc-Nate says:

Jethro Tull: I like to think of training camp as an amalgamation of meet ‘n’ greet, cup of coffee and earning a spot.

The top 9 F are virtually set, as are the top 4 D, with only Versteeg making itinteresting, but the coaches want to know who can play up the line.Who’s looks good for first call-up?

It’s mainly for the tweeners that the management don’t get to see as much.Sure, there’s the scouting reports, but with a lot of these guys putting up similar numbers, how to differentiate?

I’m on the hiring committee for a new position where I work.Every applicant’s resume is virtually the same, with very similar qualifications and experience.Have to have some way to differentiate, right?Interviews it is.I know some people are better than others, but it’s really the only way.

How deep in 6 digits? I could do something else if the job was right! Then YOU could say I’m a good guy!! 🙂

96. Ducey says:

stevezie:

It’s not an audition, it’s a meet’n greet. Cut fast and build chemistry.

*2015 Draisatlis such an outlier he’s better off ignored.

Wasn’t Davidson auditioning last year?

John Chambers: Trading JP for Trouba would certainly make the team immediately better. I’m sure Winnipeg would even take back Fayne to fill a spot at RD and balance dollars.

The Oilers can’t trade Fayne because they need him to meet the requirements for exposing a defensemen in the expansion draft. If one trades Fayne, then one has to expose one of Larsson, Klefbom, or Davidson, because Reinhart will almost certainly not have enough NHL games to meet the requirement.

98. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

kinger_OIL:
    Kiltymcbagpipes,

– I’m going to that game, in Toronto vs Oil!My Brother-In-Law has season tickets:It’s my once annual visit to that awful arena, where I have to endure those awful Leaf Fans! (well went to hockey cup, that was different)

Nice buddy. You on twitter? If so, what’s your handle if LT doesn’t mind? Be nice to hook up with Oiler fans there I’ll buy ya beer. I despise Leaf fans.

99. Jethro Tull says:

Atc-Nate: How deep in 6 digits? I could do something else if the job was right! Then YOU could say I’m a good guy!!

You’re in! Hold this bag with a $ on it and watch for the cops while I just go into this bank…..

100. Visually better says:

Anyone able to find the lines for the “AHL Squad”?? Can’t seem to find them

101. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar: I’ve got nuthin…gotta be careful, he is the best counter puncher in the bizz

So, yer sayin yer mother wears knickerbockers…

🙂

102. Oilspill says:

So you’d give up B and C level players to scoop an A. Brilliant I wonder if Chia’s thought about that?

dustrock:

Trade for Trouba cannot involve:

Drai
    RNH
    Eberle
    Puljujarvi
    Klefbom

103. stevezie says:

Ducey: Wasn’t Davidson auditioning last year?

Not exactly.

At the beginning of training camp Brandon Davidson had 12 NHL games and almost 200 in the A. The Oilers had a pretty good idea of who he was- which was probably why he made the team. I remember him as good in camp, but not amazing. It was not his camp that inspired the Oilers to keep him, it was the entirety of his resume.

Camp is useful for giving coaches an in-person viewing, but two weeks will never tell you more than two years of history. Like if Bradon Christoffer shows up and looks like an NHLer, you move him up your list of “minor leaguers to watch”, you don’t cut Versteeg to make room for him.

Davidson was already real close, camp just put him over the top. Camp should just change perception on you by a couple of degrees, let’s not go six to midnight on anyone here.

Jethro Tull,

Ah yes, tie breakers. I suppose interviews are good for those. I think (and research backs me) that the main thing they tell you is who is good at interviewing, but if you have a group of qualified people, pick the person you’re most willing to hang out with.

And be quick to realise and admit a mistake. I was recently told (pure anecdotal) that the key part of management is hiring (total crapshoot in my experience), but firing.

Don’t take my business advice.

Anyway, yeah camp can move you a few ticks, but a few ticks only. Tull kicks ass.

re: Rogers Place

1) The two big escalators from the main concourse (100 level) to the upper concourse (200 level) have difficulty moving up when heavily loaded. They have to pace the loading…i.e. leave a stair or two of gap between people.
    2) Learn where the elevators are in the 4 corners. There are at least 8 of them (two in each corner)
    3) And for those of you who are fit, the stairs in the “exits” (again in the 4 corners) are not bad for going between the main and upper concourses.
    4) Super first tier ticket holders should learn where their premium elevators are. I can’t really help you there.
    5) One would think the building flow will improve as people figure the building out.

I wish I was rich. Those Loge level seats must be fantastic.

105. Frank the dog says:

stevezie: Not exactly.

Jethro Tull,

Don’t take my business advice.

After hiring there is probation of course, even if not official. I hired a person once, amazing interview, within a couple of weeks I realized I had hired a skilled interviewee gossiper and troublemaker. She was so skilled at that, she outlasted everyone around her and is still there as far as I know. .

106. kinger_OIL says:

stevezie,

Steve says: “Camp is useful for giving coaches an in-person viewing, but two weeks will never tell you more than two years of history”

– This exactly. Except remember when the OBC was mesmerized I think 3 years ago by some small russian dude who no one heard of and he light it up for what 2 games in pre-season, so they were going to offer him a contract, only to find out he wasn’t eligible or something like that

– Then he went back didn’t get drafted the next year in the QJHML: man were we bush…

– Training camp is rarely about “earning a spot”, because there is nothing predictive about a players performance in a compressed camp schedule and how they do in the season.

– But there is a lot of value to an organization in having all their players there. It’s a process

107. delooper says:

I’m gonna fight ’em off
    A seven nation army couldn’t hold me back
    They’re gonna rip it off
    Taking their time right behind my back
    And I’m talkin’ to myself at night
    Because I can’t forget
    Back and forth through my mind
    Behind a cigarette

And the message comin’ from my eyes says, “Leave it alone.”

stevezie: Not exactly.

That is why Silicon Valley is a racist misogynist ageist class ridden cesspool, for example. If you are a white male who went to one of the right ten or so universities you are in. If you are anybody else you are out. And to get the work done, they bring in foreigners on bargain basement wages on H1B visas.

109. geowal says:

russ99,

Thanks!

stevezie: Not exactly.

Like MacT hiring the dementor.

Plus, this is how old boys’ clubs form.

One has to beware of one internal biases, and ask the question, am I only hiring this person because of an internal bias.

Sometimes on should hire the person you are most willing to hang out with, but sometimes one should hire the person who makes you a bit uncomfortable.

111. kinger_OIL says:

godot10: Society can’t really progress towards equality if you choose ONLY the people you are most willing to hang out with.

That is why Silicon Valley is a racist misogynist ageist class ridden cesspool, for example.If you are a white male who went to one of the right tenor so universities you are in.If you are anybody else you are out.And to get the work done, they bring in foreigners on bargain basement wages on H1B visas.

– There’s an inherent contradiction in this: Silicon Valley is the opposite of equality. They have generated so much innovation and companies that have literally changed the world, created great wealth, innovation and employment.

– You might be “in” as an employee for one of these world beater companies as you say, but Silicon Valley is the ne plus ultra of extreme competition that rewards success.

– Equality in Silicon Valley would kill that what makes Silicon Valley great: smart people trying to solve a problem in an innovative way, break traditional business models, disrupt the status-quo and get crazy rich if they succeed. Equality? Thats crazy talk in Silicon Valley

– The companies that make it aren’t started by those racist class ridden cesspool group you cite. They are formed by exceptional, bright, ambitious mercenaries on a mission. Then they over-pay the clowns you speak of.

112. delooper says:

I don’t like the announcer named Samsung.

113. stevezie says:

godot10: Like MacT hiring the dementor.

Plus, this is how old boys’ clubs form.

I agree with all of this, but I’ll add that it is sort of unavoidable. It makes a lot of sense to have an environment that employees enjoy showing up to and gathering people who work together well. Humans are pretty much always going to have a natural bias toward people they know or at least can easily relate to. There’s nothing evil about it.

Of course this can easily lead to groupthink and/or institutionalised prejudice. You have got to be aware of not only the kind of person you want to hire, but the kind of team you want to build. You also have to be brutally honest with yourself as to whether your friend is actually qualified for the job you are trying to get for him or her.

Your criticisms of Silicon Valley are valid but not entirely on point. Low-wage foreign labour has nothing to do with what we’re talking about. You other criticisms go back to my earlier point- they are ignoring better qualified people.

This is the problem with our Old Boys’ Club- it’s clear a bunch of these guys aren’t qualified for their jobs. Repeating myself, hiring is a crapshoot, so be ready to fire when you make an (inevitable) mistake. Old Boys’ Clubs aren’t. Detroit has a long tradition of promoting internally and it works well for them.

I’d even say your opinion of Eakins is exactly what you are criticising. Here’s a guy who had a lot of success before (and some after) the Oilers, but you don’t like him so you have declared him evil and incompetent. There’s evidence against both those things, but you ignore it because you just don’t like him.

See? It’s kind of unavoidable. We have to be vigilant and ruthless with ourselves to avoid seeing our natural prejudices toward people we like as inherent truths. I totally agree with you that it is useful to seek out people and perspectives that unsettle you.

kinger_OIL: – There’s an inherent contradiction in this:Silicon Valley is the opposite of equality.They have generated so much innovation and companies that have literally changed the world, created great wealth, innovation and employment.

– Equality in Silicon Valley would kill that what makes Silicon Valley great: smart people trying to solve a problem in an innovative way, break traditional business models, disrupt the status-quo and get crazy rich if they succeed.Equality?Thats crazy talk in Silicon Valley

– The companies that make it aren’t started by those racist class ridden cesspool group you cite.They are formed by exceptional, bright, ambitious mercenaries on a mission.Then they over-pay the clowns you speak of.

This is not really the place to debate this. But I would argue that Silicon Valley is well past it “Best Before Date”. The “emperor” now mostly has no clothes.

115. Kaptain Vikarious says:

First “ear” and second “ear” fans

Good thing the city spent so much money.