TRUCKIN’ IN BAKERSFIELD

A quick look around the Al Gore gets you a lot of information about Bakersfield, California. People like their trucks in that city, meaning the Bakersfield folk and the Edmonton folk have some common ground. Oil and agriculture are key industries, and apparently carrots are grown everywhere, and carrot jokes (why did the carrot blush? He saw the salad dressing!) run rampant in the streets. Buck Owens and Merle Haggard made their music there, and I will love them until I die.

CONDORS STARTING LINEUP

• Hamilton-Sallinen-Beck
  • Allen-Newbury-Russell
  • Benik-Platzer-Chase
  • Moroz-Currie-Christoffer
  • Reinhart-Musil
  • Betker-Laleggia
  • Fraser-Simpson
  • Brossoit (Ellis)

Jujhar Khaira is not in the lineup (against the Texas Stars) tonight, he has been fighting an injury and it could be the reason. Griffin Reinhart draws back in. I will update the score as this evening rolls along, interested to see if prospects like Sallinen and Platzer can make some kind of offensive impact.

benning-uofa-capture

I am currently writing my Winter Top 20 and noticing some interesting trends. First, among the Top 20 (the list has 41 names on it) there are seven AHL players (in alpha order) this year:

• Matt Benning
  • Laurent Brossoit
  • Nick Ellis
  • Jujhar Khaira
  • Jordan Oesterle
  • Griffin Reinhart
  • Dillon Simpson

What is even more interesting? Only two names—Jujhar Khaira and Dillon Simpson—are Oilers draft picks. Three of these are college signings and two more (Brossoit and Reinhart) were acquired via trade. What does it all mean? Two things. First, the 2014 draft was basically devoid of CHL talent, so the college kids are still matriculating and who knows about them. Second, and this is kind of a big one, the 2013 picks (Marco Roy, Bogdan Yakimov, Kyle Platzer, Greg Chase, Ben Betker, etc) really needed to help more than we have seen thus far. Early days, and maybe David Musil and Mitch Moroz crack the top 20 (Moroz had two points earlier this week) before we get through the list (there is still time!) but it sure looks like Peter Chiarelli examined the draft lists and decided to get aggressive with college signings.

I am feeling pretty good about the AHL team these days, looks like Jujhar Khaira has a chance to turn into a useful NHL player. It is a big deal you know and will become of great importance once Connor McDavid’s contract kicks in.

The Condors are in kind of a strange spot now, as the club isn’t likely to get Jesse Puljujarvi any time soon and Drake Caggiula’s injury rehab remains ongoing. Once Matt Hendricks and Iiro Pakarinen get healthy, we can assume hires such as Anton Slepyshev and (perhaps) Tyler Pitlick will find their way to California.

The offense early has been heavily reliant on the line of Ryan Hamilton-Jujhar Khaira-Taylor Beck, and they are scoring up a storm (Khaira is tied for the lead league in points-per-game). It is probable we see Khaira in the NHL at some point this season and he could end up joining a fairly rare list (Brandon Davidson, Anton Lander) of recent draft picks who have followed a traditional path successfully into the NHL. This organization badly needs more.

CONDORS SCORING, GOALIE STATS

1. Jujhar Khaira 4gp, 4-3-7
  2. Taylor Beck 6gp, 2-5-7
  3. Ryan Hamilton 6gp, 1-5-6
  4. Scott Allen 6gp, 2-2-4
  5. Joey Benik 5gp, 3-0-3 (Rookie)
  6. Patrick Russell 6gp, 0-3-3 (Rookie)
  7. Matt Benning 2gp, 1-1-2 (Rookie)
  8. Josh Currie 5gp, 1-1-2
  9. Braden Christoffer 6gp, 1-1-2
  10. Joey Laleggia 6gp, 0-2-2
  11. Mitch Moroz 6gp, 0-2-2
  12. David Musil 4gp, 0-2-2
  13. Jere Sallinen 6gp, 1-0-1
  14. Dillon Simpson 6gp, 1-0-1
  15. Kris Newbury 5gp, 1-0-1
  16. Kyle Platzer 5gp, 0-1-1
  17. Jaedon Desheneau 4gp, 0-1-1 (Rookie)
  18. Mark Fraser 6gp, 0-0-0
  19. Griffin Reinhart 3gp, 0-0-0
  20. Ben Betker 3gp, 0-0-0
  21. Greg Chase 1gp, 0-0-0
  22. Joel Rechlicz 1gp, 0-0-0
  23. Nick Ellis 3gp, 2.62 .928 (Rookie)
  24. Laurent Brossoit 3gp, 2.35 .926 (Rookie)

38 Responses to "TRUCKIN’ IN BAKERSFIELD"

1. slopitch says:

Is the 2013 draft the one where they hired dark horse? Given pitlick and lander have taken so long it’s early. But man it’s clear the top teams at drafting (ie Tampa/Chicago) have a real adv

2. spoiler says:

Someone’s gonna harp on the connection of Lander with traditional path… you just know they are.

3. OF17 says:

It’ll be interesting to see where all these bubble young players end up. By merit, any of Lander, Pitlick, Slepyshev, Khaira, and Caggiula could be on the team next year. Two on the 4th line, two in the PB, and one in the top 9? Means we’re moving forward with Kassian as 3RW and no upgrades at the position.

It’d be a shame to see any of them go, and I don’t think it’d be wise to ship out Letestu unless we *really* need $700K. Hopefully Slepyshev gets enough ice time to become a minor piece in trade, the sort that could balance out a Fayne for Read trade or similar.

4. stush18 says:

I like what the oilers have been drafting since the 2013 draft actually.

You can’t really point to a pick and ask what they were thinking.

Well, I’m sure people here can, but that’s beside the point haha

5. stush18 says:

OF17:

Don’t forget we’re losing someone to the expansion draft.

I’d put money on it being pouliot.

6. OF17 says:

stush18: Don’t forget we’re losing someone to the expansion draft.

I’d put money on it being pouliot.

Aidan Muir with an assist tonight

8. stush18 says:

OF17: I would too, and I’m assuming that. Lucic-Caggiula-Maroon as the sure LW, Eberle-Puljujarvi-Kassian as the sure RW, which leaves two wing spots and two PB spots open. Keeping all of the bubble youngins with that as our base would mean Kassian as 3RW and Puljujarvi as 2RW, which I’m not really comfortable with right now.

True, although drai and mcdavid and nuge a year older helps.

Slepy really needs a chance imo. He could develop into a perfect fit for the third line left wing beside drai. He has a shooters mentality. He’s physical.

You can’t really point to his body of work and say “he’s not a point producer” because last year he played strictly limited fourth line minutes, and this year he has a goal in theee games.

9. PokeCheck says:

raventalon40:
    Wow, Montreal!

Has Montoya told Ronald Corey that he’s played his last game in Montreal yet?

10. Clay says:

raventalon40:
    Wow, Montreal!

Wow is right. In case it was ever in doubt how much Price means to that team…

11. stush18 says:

And while not all will hit free agency, there’s some good players to choose from

Oshie, Stafford, hemksy, berglund, clutterbuck, wingels, smith, bonino, king all hit free agency next year based off a quick google search.

I would say we only need to sign one of these forwards, and prolly not oshie.

JJ, slepy, beck, pitlick, cags, and who knows who else will all push for chances

12. Klima's_Bucket says:

Montoya was one of the goalies that was wearing 2 pairs of goalie pants.
    Maybe he picked the wrong night to wear only one pair…

Montoya’s numbers were beautiful before tonight, I mean Natalie Wood beautiful. That is a damn shame.

Dylan Wells had a great night, won the game stopped 36 of 38. Petes are awful, but they won. This kid is having a very nice year.

15. Chachi says:

Dylan Wells had a great night, won the game stopped 36 of 38. Petes are awful, but they won. This kid is having a verynice year.

If he keeps this up he may find himself on the radar for the World Junior team.

16. Professor Q says:

They also described Natalie Wood to me in a variety of details.

17. GMB3 says:

stush18: True, although drai and mcdavid and nuge a year older helps.

18. OF17 says:

stush18,

Too bad Oshie will cost so much. He would be a fantastic addition on the right side.

Professor Q: Oddly enough, I just got off the phone with my Grandmother and Aunt, and they were finishing up Tomorrow is Forever.

They also described Natalie Wood to me in a variety of details.

Honestly. She was so beautiful.

20. stush18 says:

OF17,

Agreed. He’d look great with nuge and lucic I bet.

GMB3: I’m all aboard the sleppy bandwagon. I think he has the skills to post offense. Given the treatment of our last Russian though I’m sure he is not going to get much of a chance

Yup. Although chia and tmac seem to like him. He was one of the reasons I had wished they would send down JP.

I don’t know if you can reasonably say JP has played any better at this point, and you’re burning a year of slepys development.

21. JJS says:

What if we leave Lucic unprotected?

JJS:
    What if we leave Lucic unprotected?

Will not happen.

Tyler Benson with an early assist.

24. Professor Q says:

JJS:
    What if we leave Lucic unprotected?

Since he has a NMC, that can’t occur, right?

25. Professor Q says:

Tyler Benson with an early assist.

And also named an A for the Canada Russia series!

Although you might have discussed this already.

26. Professor Q says:

Not sure if this is the place, but, Lowetide, would you ever consider discussing the financial situation the CHL is going through and implications for its and its teams’ futures (and if it’d affect the development of teens, or cause them to head to the NCAA or Europe more often), either here or on the Lowedown?

Kris Newbury from Beck and Hamilton, Bakersfield down by a goal.

Professor Q:

I have made attempts to reach out and find someone who wants to speak on the subject, not many available so far.

29. StixMalone says:

Can’t believe Montoya was was left hung to dry. Was something up with Price? What coach does this to his players? What’s the message? Put it all on the backup goalie? Never liked Therrian and this solidifies it….absolute shit….wasn’t the first time a goalie is the sacrificial goat…

30. GMB3 says:

stush18:
    OF17,

Agreed. He’d look great with nuge and lucic I bet.

+1. We haven’t even given him a good kick at the can to show what he’s got.

31. Bruce McCurdy says:

StixMalone:

It was all about giving Price a night off. He starts tomorrow. Sometimes the backup just has to eat one for the team.

32. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Aidan Muir with an assist tonight

Does he play for the Blue Jackets?

33. MrEd says:

Is there something to the argument that JP and McDavid should be playing together but in sheltered roles and less?
    RNH is a vet and really good. Pouliot is a really good fit.
    Leon with Lucic is worth a serious look IMHO.

Luxury time for the youngsters!

34. OmJo says:

stush18: Don’t forget we’re losing someone to the expansion draft.

I’d put money on it being pouliot.

I have a question about the expansion draft.

If somebody claims Maroon, assuming we don’t protect him, will they be claiming the rest of his salary that is being held by the Ducks as well? How do those scenarios work out?

35. OmJo says:

MrEd,

Sheltering McDavid on the road will be next to impossible. Well, unless we had another river pusher to scare opposing coaches.

36. OmJo says:

Professor Q:

I haven’t heard about this until now, so I might be blowing it out of proportion by saying this, but…

It would be a damn shame to lose the CHL. So much history in those leagues, with those teams. And it’s fundamentally important to the future of the NHL.

37. who says:

Nothing to do with this post but just read the last thread and have a question for Woodguy. You stated that Patrick Kane is not an elite driver of play when it comes to entering the offensive zone.
    This strikes me as absurd. Every time he is on the ice Chicago looks to get him the puck at or below their own blue line so he can carry it in to the zone.
    What is your definition of driver of play cause I would rate him at the top of the list for this skill.