OILERS NO. 9 PROSPECT (winter 2016): JUJHAR KHAIRA

Jujhar Khaira received an extended NHL audition in year two of his entry-level deal, and appears to be NHL-ready at this time. This means that the Oilers have a prospect who is ready and spending time in the AHL waiting. It has been some time since we could identify a player handled in this way.

black_friday_ad-jpg1

I would like to welcome a new sponsor to the blog, Direct Workwear. They are an Edmonton company  but can deliver across North America and have a wide range of workwear. Click on the ad to head over to the site, and tell Frank he owes me lunch!

PREVIOUSLY NO. 9 ON THE WINTER LIST

• December 2006: D Jozef Hrabal (0)
  • December 2007: G Devan Dubnyk (312)
  • December 2008: D Cody Wild (0)
  • December 2009: L Teemu Hartikainen (52)
  • December 2010: C Anton Lander (209)
  • December 2011: R Tyler Pitlick (48)
  • December 2012: R Tyler Pitlick (48)
  • December 2013: D Martin Gernat (0)
  • December 2014: C Kyle Platzer (0)
  • December 2015: D Ethan Bear (0)

There is one home run here, Devan Dubnyk. He had a meandering path to the NHL but has to be considered one of the best Oilers draft picks of this century. Tyler Pitlick developed slowly as well, but appears to have arrived this season and is perhaps (along with Brandon Davidson) indicative of the true elapsed time required for these young men to come through the Oilers slow-developing system.

khaira

WHAT THEY SAID ON DRAFT DAY

• Red Line Report: We believe this kid could be the biggest/best sleeper of the entire draft. Prince George is so far off the beaten path teams don’t even travel there for WHL games, much less BCHL contests, so he gets zero exposure. But this kid is big, mean, aggressive, nasty, and guess what… he can score too. Does the dirty work in the corners, bangs bodies and wins battles, and loves to initiate heavy contact. Powerful stride with great balance and gets leverage on his hits. Has surprisingly soft hands and puck skills with playmaking ability. Creates lots of space for smaller teammates and makes everyone braver. Very raw defensively.

That is a tremendous scouting report for a draft pick, especially considering the source. Red Line Report delivers the news, good and bad, and honestly this report has been my guiding arrow in regard to Khaira. Their scout saw an NHL player on those cold winter nights, it is here for all to see.

PREVIOUS RANKINGS

• Summer 2012: No. 15
  • Winter 2012: No. 7
  • Summer 2013: No. 6
  • Winter 2013: No. 5
  • Summer 2014: No. 10
  • Winter 2014: No. 7
  • Summer 2015: No. 18
  • Winter 2015: No. 12
  • Summer 2016: No. 8
  • Winter 2016: No. 9

His summer rankings have some wobble, but the winter tallies (7, 5, 7, 12, 9) have him surrounded as a player. All of the uncertainty surrounded offense—folks, it always does—but this last season plus in the AHL have given us our compass readings.

khaira ferguson 1415

Photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved

READINGS

• Todd Nelson: “He thinks the game really well on the ice and when you couple that with the size and skill he has, it’s going to be a very bright future for him. He’s an intelligent guy. He knows what he has to do to get better and he works hard at it. With his size and maturity and the way he approaches the game, who knows where his top level is, but I think the future is looking really positive for him.”
  • Todd Nelson: “We’ve seen flashes of what JJ can be. He just needs time to mature. We’re trying to mould JJ into a two-way centreman, somebody who can kill penalties, late in games trying to preserve a game. He has the size. He just needs experience.” Source
  • Joanne Ireland, Edmonton Journal: Khaira’s parents, Sukhjinder and Komal, were at Rexall Place on Wednesday to take in his game against the Boston Bruins. It was their first chance to sit in the stands and watch him play in two years. It was also Komal’s first NHL game. She had always said if she went to an NHL game, she’d go when he was playing. Source

KHAIRA IN THE AHL

khaira-ahl

It seems like exactly forever since an Oilers prospect scored at a point-per-game in the final season of their entry-level deal (actual answer: Anton Lander, 2013-14), and Khaira should have a positive impact on the Oilers when he is recalled.

2016-17

• Simon Boisvert: I do think he is NHL-ready. He is very confident now offensively, he reminds me of the Khaira I remember from the BCJHL. This is the year when prospects who have already spent two years in the AHL should be in the NHL—otherwise they become career AHLers. Or tweeners. He is ready for the show. He is their best forward (in Bakersfield), now the question is when will he be called up? Source
  • Lowetide blog, October 21No. 7, Jujhar Khaira. He has posted 3-1-4 in the first two games and appears NHL-ready in all phases. Playing on the top line with Ryan Hamilton and Taylor Beck, he is flourishing offensively—the one area we could reasonably assume he would be shy. His eight shots on goal co-lead the team. Source

Khaira’s offensive progression in the AHL is obvious, and his shots per game during the entry-level contract also reflects it.

• 2014-15: 73 shots in 51 games (1.43 shots per game)
  • 2015-16: 96 shots in 49 games (1.96 shots per game)
  • 2016-17: 21 shots in seven games (3.0 shots per game)

khaira williams

Photo by Mark Williams

THE FUTURE

Khaira could be a value contract for years in Edmonton, and is under control for many years to come. His surge offensively last season (and early this) is even more encouraging, as Edmonton needs secondary scoring on the depth lines. We are not certain that he will be a center or winger, and we don’t know if he will play much or at all this year in the NHL. He is right on the edge of beginning his NHL career but remains in the minors, and the Oilers drafted and developed him. Those are two facts are breaking news. Khaira has had NHL time (15gp, 0-2-2) and it is possible we have more to discuss this summer when we re-visit the Top 20. I am fairly certain Khaira will remain under 50 NHL games (qualifying him for the list).

In ranking Jujhar Khaira here, it is with the knowledge he is in a group of players who have some range of skills and some questions about their future NHL role. He is unlikely to play his career as a top 6F, but there is some evidence he could contribute offensively on a checking line or in a complementary role. There are two more skaters to come in this cluster which began with Anton Slepyshev at No. 8 on the list.

THE 2012 DRAFT

• Nail Yakupov, No. 1 overall. Now playing for the St. Louis Blues. Graduated to the NHL.
  • Griffin Reinhart, No. 4 overall. Reinhart is experiencing real challenges (and injury) in year three of his entry-level deal. Ranked inside the Top 20.
  • Mitch Moroz, No. 32 overall. Seems to be getting more playing time in the final year of his entry-level deal. Candidate for the Top 20.
  • Jujhar Khaira, No. 63 overall. Khaira is one of the few success stories for Edmonton from this draft and is poised to begin his NHL career. Still a reasonable range of possibilities as far as future role, and we wait to see how he will be deployed. No. 9 prospect, Winter Top 20.
  • Daniil Zharkov, No. 91 overall. Now playing in the KHL. No longer in the organization.
  • Erik Gustafsson, No. 93 overall. Currently in the AHL (Chicago). No longer in the organization.
  • Joey Laleggia, No. 123 overall. Small puck mover has offense and chaos. A candidate for the Top 20.
  • John McCarron, No. 153 overall. Now in the ECHL. No longer part of the organization.
  • Drake Caggiula, not drafted. Passed through the 2012 entry draft, Edmonton signing him in the spring. Offensive success (3gp, 0-2-2) early in his NHL career. No. 3 prospect, Winter Top 20.
  • Matt Benning, drafted No. 175 overall in 2012. I expected him to spend the entire season in Bakersfield but he is scoring well and posting good all around numbers as an NHL rookie defender. No. 4 prospect, Winter Top 20.

ROLLING TOP 20

rolling-top-20

• Khaira adds to an area of weakness—NHL-ready prospects who can step in and help immediately. Unfortunately, he is one of a precious few currently on the AHL roster.
  • It is uncertain what position he will occupy at the NHL level, LW or C. Todd McLellan has shown a preference for wingers who can also play center, that might give Khaira an edge on other candidates.
  • He is 6.03, 214 and the offense appears to be showing up enough to project him into the NHL as a depth forward. He can score, but can he score enough? He is fast, but is he fast enough? These are the reasons for his being ranked here, but will tell you this is a prospect I like a lot. I would rank him higher if this list was based only on personal preference.

45 Responses to "OILERS NO. 9 PROSPECT (winter 2016): JUJHAR KHAIRA"

1. LadiesloveSmid says:

I like Khaira over Caggiula as of today, especially at 4C.

Pou-Khaira-Pitlick, if TMac wants to keep Pou out of the top 9

2. GMB3 says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    I like Khaira over Caggiula as of today, especially at 4C.

Pou-Khaira-Pitlick, if TMac wants to keep Pou out of the top 9

That line would be great on the forecheck. I’m a big fan of Letestu for faceoffs, being right handed, and the PK though.

I think a Khaira-Caggiula switch will happen at some point in the coming weeks.

3. TO10801 says:

GMB3,

Not that I agree with it, but I think McLellan loves Caggiula. Unless he really struggles I don’t think he is going down. I could see him in the top 9 real soon. I also don’t have an issue with Khaira playing big minutes in BAK until injuries hit again. I think Khaira may be Maroon’s replacement in 2 years if Maroon wants to large a raise.

4. blainer says:

JJ is an NHL player IMO. he will be up by the end of the year at some point I suspect.

I really like JP too and his playing with CMD but I sure would have loved it if the oil had to put him in the A and had him move to center.

With his size and I bet his ability to learn how to take faceoff’s he would develop into a monster center there.

And he SHOOTS right. A 6 foot 4 RT shot center with skill… just wow..

Don’t know how they could make it work though .. We are deep at the position in the NHL but would be one hell of an ace card to pull out in case of injuries.

TO10801:
    GMB3,

Caggiula has more offensive potential than all forwards but Puljujarvi imo, that is why McLellan is giving him a push (and the speed).

6. JDï™ says:

It’s a shame Khaira missed time with an injury, because the last place Condors could really have used him during that stretch. The Gulls spits have won 4 straight to climb out of the cellar they were sharing with Bakersfield.

Hopefully he doesn’t get discouraged with all the talent above him, because he’s sure shown himself to be a player in his call ups.

7. JDï™ says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 6h6 hours ago

First 66 GP:
    Sidney Crosby: 31-44-75, -2, Penguins record 17-37-12 (’05-’06)
    Connor McDavid: 25-50-75, +5, Oilers record 29-33-4

That is amazing. And scoring is down about 10% from when Crosby was a rookie:

But of course, Connor has had an advantage of being a little older for the last quarter of those games.

8. blainer says:

Missed the earlier post and just wanted to chime in.

The late start last night did me in. Managed to stay awake for the first two periods and said to myself don’t fall asleep the dads are in the house and that’s make gonna make for a great third period.

Not 5 mins later during the 2nd intermission around 1:30 a.m. my time.. passed out..

Woke up this morning checked the score .. out of my mouth comes… FUCK !!

I knew it.. called it to myself .. I just friggin knew they were gonna have a good third.. needless to say I was rotted.

This team my friends are 8-3 against the west 21 games into the season.

I think it’s getting time for a lot of the posters here to join me in my little optimistic corner of the universe !!

9. Scungilli says:

JDï™:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 6h6 hours ago

First 66 GP:
    Sidney Crosby: 31-44-75, -2, Penguins record 17-37-12 (’05-’06)
    Connor McDavid: 25-50-75, +5, Oilers record 29-33-4

That is amazing. And scoring is down about 10% from when Crosby was a rookie:

Connor is so fast he shifts time forward

10. Confused says:

Think

Pitlick caggs JJ

Is a line down the road

11. stush18 says:

I think tmac will keep the lines the same as long as the oilers keep winning. When they lose is when pouliot and letestu will draw in.

I would run

Maroon-mcdavid-JP
    Lucic-nuge-ebs
    Poo-Leon-slepy
    Cags-letestu-pitlick/kassian

Man I love Hendricks, but he’s losing his hands fast.

12. Scungilli says:

blainer:

I really like JP too and his playing with CMD but I sure would have loved it if the oil had to put him inthe A and had him move to center.

With his size and I bet his ability to learn how to take faceoff’she would develop into a monstercenter there.

And he SHOOTS right. A 6 foot 4 RT shot center with skill… just wow..

Don’t know how they could make it work though .. We are deep at the position in the NHL but would be one hell ofan ace card to pull out in case of injuries.

Looch stays, Maroon is effective big and cheap, JP stays so with Slep and Pitlick also cheap big fast and useful on the right side Chia,s options to also move 6mil aren’t dire.

We could be watching a comp between Ebs and Nuge for who stays with the team. I can’t imagine being traded at this point would suck as they immerge

13. blainer says:

Scungilli: The Oilers will soon have to shed salary as ELC ‘s for keepers end. Khsira and Cag are nice fast skilled replacements for Pouliot and Hendricks that also can slide to centre in a pinch if they start out as wingers.

Looch stays, Maroon is effective big and cheap, JP stays so with Slep and Pitlick also cheap big fast and useful on the right sideChia,s options to also move 6mil aren’tdire.

We could be watching a comp between Ebs and Nuge for who stayswith the team. I can’t imagine being traded at this pointwould suck as they immerge

Yup you are correct here IMO. The comp is already getting tough in the bottom six. I actually am a big believer in Slepy too. I think if given a chance in the top six for an extended period he could surprise.

He also has one heck of a shot and would be great in the Ovie spot on the PP.

If JP does get going that will make it even more competitive in the top six.

I think TMc is a big believer in trying to get as many wingers as he can to learn the center position. Just a gut feeling. I bet by the end of JP’s entry level he is playing both wing and center. Well that’s what I’m kinda hoping for anyway.

14. Glass says:

Our depth is actually not that bad considering that had Versteeg signed with us, we’d have Khaira, Lander, AND one of Pitlick/Slepyshev as call-ups.

15. Ryan says:

I can always count on young Willis to bang on the same drum as myself.

I’ve been banging on the wtf are we going to do with RNH and his $6m cap hit at the end of this prior to this season,

What was shocking was his comment that he’s not an Oilers fan? For real?

RNH for $6m. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

16. JDï™ says:

Ryan: he’s not an Oilers fan?

He answers that question in the comments.

17. MrEd says:

Ryan,

Vis-a-vis JJ I understand the perspective.
    However, at $6 I think he’s on board until Leon’s bridge ends and/or McDavid’s ELC runs out.

Anyone who cares enough to write about a team as much he does is fooling himself with regard to fandom.

18. MrEd says:

Eberle had a really good game last night btw imo. He was on board with how quick that game was.
    To my eye RNH and Eberle are still a thing.

19. flyfish1168 says:

JDï™:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 6h6 hours ago

First 66 GP:
    Sidney Crosby: 31-44-75, -2, Penguins record 17-37-12 (’05-’06)
    Connor McDavid: 25-50-75, +5, Oilers record 29-33-4

That is amazing. And scoring is down about 10% from when Crosby was a rookie:

Connor has only played 66 NHL games and has 75 points. Maybe older but still rookie in NHL experience.

MrEd:
    Eberle had a really good game last night btw imo.He was on board with how quick that game was.
    To my eye RNH and Eberle are still a thing.

Like peanut butter and jam.

21. MrEd says:

Good grief the push within an organization is important.
    One listens for the innuendo about these players whom are left to marinate.
    JJ has the cache me thinks.

Does he really have to be protected?

22. JDï™ says:

flyfish1168,

Not taking anything away from that performance, just stating the differences between his first 66 games and Sid’s.

MrEd:
    Good grief the push within an organization is important.
    One listens for the innuendo about these players whom are left to marinate.
    JJ has the cache me thinks.

Does he really have to be protected?

24. kinger_OIL says:

JDï™: He answers that question in the comments.

– It’s actually a fascinating comment. But the casual way in which he drops the bomb is a poor use of his platform as a sports writer.

– Rather than a pithy “I don’t care for the team”, he had the opportunity to write a fascinating article about the realities of being a beat writer for a team and how that has shaped his views as a fan

– A wasted opportunity to write something really interesting IMO: I hope he does follow-up on it, rather than simply respond in the comments section. I’ve always wondered what “relationship” the press has with the teams or sports they follow after seeing behind the curtains for so long. He sounded jaded, but also objective with a genuine love for the sport: and from his perspective that neutrality makes him effective

25. Bank Shot says:

Ryan:
    I can always count on young Willis to bang on the same drum as myself.

What was shocking was his comment that he’s not an Oilers fan? For real?

RNH for $6m. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I posted something along these same lines very recently. It didn’t really get any replies. RNH has depended on first unit PP time, and loads of ES icetime to get his boxcars. Now that he’s had his icetime reduced we could see ~40 points as the new norm for RNH.

That’s obviously not a good contract.

The question is, what the Oilers can do about it. Replacing RNH on the third line could be a tricky proposition.

Replacing RNH with a 40 point, two way center through free agency would likely be about $4-4.5 million, assuming that player makes it to free agency. You’d probably be buying a 30+ year old version as well.

Replacing RNH through the pipeline isn’t happening soon unless Caggiula exceeds even his mother’s expectations. Perhaps you can get lucky on another college free agent. Far from a sure thing.

Trading RNH for a comparable center that makes less money just won’t happen. You’d have to trade him for a younger magic bean which may end up failing.

At this point in time the best move the Oilers might have is to wait and hope that RNH has an epiphany moment in his career where he figures out how to produce at ES. If not, he’ll be $2 million overpaid.

If RNH is the worst contract on your team you are doing pretty good though. The Oilers need to avoid adding anymore Mark Faynes.

26. Scungilli says:

PB & J is good. The choice will be amongst PB & J, Pouliot Sekera or Connor Lucic JP Drai Klef Nurse etc.

There is only so much money under the cap.

27. MrEd says:

Bank Shot,

+ He’s an Oiler.
    RNH is a fantastic investment.

28. Fog of Warts says:

Ryan: RNH for $6m. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

That’s a very nice piece from Willis. Too bad RNH is not getting paid $5.95m. (Clearly much of the world falls for this ruse, or it wouldn’t be ubiquitous, so I figure—just to be rude—it must be the same people who can’t wrap their tiny minds around versatility.)

———

The one dark-art tick mark RNH still needs to attain for his true Horcoffin Underperforming Undercoat of Manly Undertakings is to extend a universal sheltering wing to all manner of ducky, lucky, mucky, scruffy, nutty, and dyspeptic thuggees—human turnstile junction & courtesy cup coffee grinder, all while shutting down the A team, in three disciplines × 200 feet, with Connor dead or alive (or just resting).

And yet, still not worth a nickle more than $5.99m. Book it.

Fog of Warts: That’s a very nice piece from Willis.Too bad RNH is not getting paid $5.95m.(Clearly much of the world falls for this ruse, or it wouldn’t be ubiquitous, so I figure—just to be rude—it must be the same people who can’t wrap their tiny minds around versatility.)

———

And yet, still not worth a nickle more than $5.99m.Book it.

I love you.

30. Chachi says:

kinger_OIL: – It’s actually a fascinating comment.But the casual way in which he drops the bomb is a poor use of his platform as a sports writer.

– A wasted opportunity to write something really interesting IMO: I hope he does follow-up on it, rather than simply respond in the comments section.I’ve always wondered what “relationship” the press has with the teams or sports they follow after seeing behind the curtains for so long.He sounded jaded, but also objective with a genuine love for the sport: and from his perspective that neutrality makes him effective

The Jonny doth protest too much, methinks.

31. CrazyCoach says:

LT,

I always get a chuckle when you put thatRedline Report up that states Prince George is a place that WHLteams don’t travel to.

Perhaps you need to look at the latest CHL rankings and see this WHL team listed at #1, called the PG Cougars

CrazyCoach:
    LT,

Haha. I have BEEN in Prince George! 🙂 I lived in Burns Lake, 100 Mile House, 93 Mile House….

33. Diesel says:

While attending the 2014 rookie camp in the mountains, I wrote the following which was posted by LT (Jul 4 2014)…

“Khaira is an absolute monster and is far too much to handle for almost every opponent he had in a battle scenario. I watched him at last years camp as well, so it’s not just a shiny new toy situation. He definitely put on more weight. If you tried to bump/pin him near the wall, he either smashed his backside or shoulder into you and gained a step to the net, or he absorbed the bump and employed some very slick hands to get the puck to a quick shooting position. If you got tired of this or tried to cheat to the outside, he had shades of Eberle with a quick and effective pull to the middle and before you realized it he was around you. I was honestly shocked at the combination of brute force, positioning, and hand speed. On top of that, he can one time a puck in close and deflect shots like a pro. He has all the tools to be a skilled power forward – and soon.”

Nice to see a player reaching his potential, especially in our own development system.

34. CrazyCoach says:

Lowetide: I lived in Burns Lake, 100 Mile House, 93 Mile House…

Ewwwwww, Burns Lake. LOL I grew up in Fort St. James, so I know the putrid smell of Burns Lake Arena. They killed us in Midget, due to two guys, Ken Worthington and Blair Holiday (Whose dad owned Sparky’s Sports Shop).

Good times

35. Confused says:

We have perhaps the strongest center core, 3 bodies, in the league!

Yet endless people see it as a problem, whereas every other organization would love it.

You spend down the middle.

CrazyCoach: Ewwwwww, Burns Lake.LOLI grew up in Fort St. James, so I know the putrid smell of Burns Lake Arena.They killed us in Midget, due to two guys, Ken Worthington and Blair Holiday (Whose dad owned Sparky’s Sports Shop).

Good times

My Dad worked in the mills, 1960s, and they kept unionizing! Worked his way all the way up (starting I think in Ruskin, there was a mill there).

37. Bank Shot says:

About Khaira… I’m rooting for him. He is something of a unique prospect based on heritage, and would be a good role model for South Asian kids in Canada who play hockey.

I fear his foot speed may hold him back from an NHL career. He doesn’t really have the offence to play a scoring role in the bigs and he may not have the footspeed to play on the PK. That kind of leaves him in no man’s land when you need to excel in some aspect to gain full time NHL employment.

On the plus side, he seems to have a great work ethic, and is very coachable which could increase his odds of making it.

Go Jujhar!

38. Bank Shot says:

Go Jujhar!

39. CrazyCoach says:

Gotcha! Lots of folks, my dad included, came out this way in the 60’s for mill jobs. Pay was good and you could sock away a lot quickly in those days. I put myself through university due to mill work. Was tough repitious work, but it sure beat treeplanting. Everytime I pass a sawmill I love getting that smell of freshly sawed logs. Always makes me smile.

CrazyCoach:

Gotcha!Lots of folks, my dad included, came out this way in the 60’s for mill jobs.Pay was good and you could sock away a lot quickly in those days.I put myself through university due to mill work.Was tough repitious work, but it sure beat treeplanting.Everytime I pass a sawmill I love getting that smell of freshly sawed logs.Always makes me smile.

Me too. I remember Mom driving out to the mill on Friday night at midnight, she would take me, and I remember seeing the top of the beehive burner glowing in the dark. I haven’t thought about that in 35 years I bet. Huh.

41. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: 93 Mile House

I thought you made that up, but nope. aka Nugeville.

42. Todd Macallan says:

I once spent a week in 100 Mile House tending goal for Team Yukon in a BC Peewee A provincial tourney. Highlight was beating a team from North Van in OT in the last game, much to their surprise after chirping us about our igloos and dog sleds. Always will have fond memories of that nice little place.

43. kinger_OIL says:

Todd Macallan:

– I grew up playing hockey in NWT: funny you should mention the making fun of for igloos and dog sleds: I haven’t thought about that in a long time: but when we went to provincial tournements, same teasing (well until we beat them haha!).

– We also had a few tough aboriginals on team who didn’t take kindly to those chirps

44. threeputtdouble says:

I remember a quote, I think from an old coach, that opponents were afraid of Khaira on the ice. One of the best signs ever. He can skate. If he can score a bit, and it looks like he can, this guy could play. He ticks lots of Lucic boxes.