G60 2016-17: OILERS AT LIGHTNING

The Edmonton Oilers are rolling through February, but there are some real challenges and we could see a breakdown dead ahead. Tonight, and tomorrow, this upstart Oilers group are going to get challenged in a real way. Take it to the limit, one more time.

GOING TO TAMPA, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0, goal differential -7
  • Oilers in October 2016: 7-2-0, goal differential +10
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in November 2016: 5-8-2 goal differential -3
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1, goal differential -9
  • Oilers in December 2016: 7-2-5, goal differential +3
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2, goal differential -5
  • Oilers in January 2017: 9-4-1, goal differential +8
  • Oilers in February 2016: 3-8-2, goal differential -18
  • Oilers in February 2017: 4-3-0, goal differential +1
  • Oilers after 59, 2015-16: 22-31-6, goal differential -35
  • Oilers after 59, 2016-17: 32-19-8, goal differential +19

The Oilers lost G60 3-2 to the Colorado Avalanche at Rexall. At this point the Oilers were all lost in the supermarket and times were tough. This year the club (imo) has been a little lucky at times, including the first game of this road trip. We have seen good defending, and some fine goaltending, but Edmonton will need to play more complete games in Florida in order to grab points.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM FEBRUARY

• On the road to: Nashville, Carolina, Montreal (Expected: 1-1-1) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • At home to: Chicago, Arizona, Philadelphia (Expected: 1-1-1) (Actual 2-1-0)
  • On the road to: Chicago, Tampa Bay, Florida, Washington, Nashville, St. Louis (Expected: 2-3-1) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-5-3, 11 points in 12 games
  • Overall current results: 4-3-0, 8 points in 7 games

This is close to fantasy, based on harshness of schedule, and a win in the next two games should be considered a good result. I think tonight is the better chance for Edmonton, but we will see who starts in goal and the rumored Russell—Gryba pairing offers its own challenges.

DEFENSE, 2016-17

• This is WoodMoney along with 5×5/60 from Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com.
  • I see this as four men (Larsson, Sekera, Russell, Klefbom) carrying the heavy load, and those four gents are close in DFF Rel—all ranking from -0.4 through -1.1 so far this year.
  • It is also fair to be impressed with Matt Benning, who is now at 34 percent—equal to Klefbom—and is ripping up the Corsi Rel. If he posts 10 seasons like this one, we will be talking about Benning as one of the best defenders in Oilers team history. Haha. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Benning, who is No. 5, is really more like No. 4A based on the Woodmoney usage.
  • Larsson is a workhorse. Valuable thing.
  • I think the numbers suggest Edmonton has two (about) equal pairings: Klefbom—Larsson and Sekera—Benning. Does Todd McLellan agree? We will get his answer tonight, when Russell—Gryba play as the other pairing. What pairing do you think will end up playing the fewest 5×5 minutes?

FORWARDS, 2016-17

• Connor McDavid soars with eagles. He goes ultimate McDavid in the wink of an eye and has to be the scariest thing in Defenseman World at this point in time.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is playing punishing minutes, 42 percent of his 5×5 time is against elites. This is Horcoff territory, or at least that is what my memory is saying.
  • Patrick Maroon and Leon Draisaitl have a good to great story to tell, with the zooming caveat about McDavid.
  • Jordan Eberle, again getting some help from 97, seems to be recovering his season in this rather late hour.
  • Matt Hendricks and Zack Kassian are in good spots based on where they bat in the lineup and the types of forwards who are their linemates. Kassian especially impresses considering the number of minutes against elites.
  • Milan Lucic and Benoit Pouliot have had similar 5×5 seasons. Interesting to see how fans feel about each player.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi, Drake Cagguila and Anton Slepyshev are exactly where rookies belong.

CURRENT STANDINGS

The Oilers keep getting good news on the out of town scoreboard. It’s like the hockey Gods spent a decade gumming up the works, and one day they all got bored with being dirt mean about the Oilers. Ara-freaking-zona knocked off the Ducks, with a goalie who had to come in from Upper Snowflake, Alaska to stop them Anaheim hooligans. Hope you slept well, Mr. Getzlaf, Mr. Perry and Mr. Kesler. Music!

TRADE OPTIONS

Which would you choose? If I thought the Oilers could get him signed and included under the cap, my vote would go to Tyler Johnson. In many ways, he is a perfect fit—RHC, good on the dot, can help on the power play. Johnson is not a volume shooter, but is an efficient one. Any of these men would be a solid pickup, Hanzal has to have impressed the Oilers in games they have seen him in.

OILERS STATS (ALL SITUATIONS)

This Year (Last Year)

• Goals For Per 60: 2.77 (2.40)
  • Goals Against Per 60: 2.47 (2.92)
  • Goals For Percentage: 52.9 (45.1)
  • Shots For Per 60: 30.6 (28.7)
  • Shots Against Per 60: 29.3 (30.7)
  • Shots For Percentage: 51.0 (48.3)
  • Fenwick For Percentage: 51.1 (48.0)
  • Corsi For Percentage: 50.7 (48.5)
  • Shooting Percentage: 9.05 (8.35)
  • Save Percentage: 91.59 (90.50)
  • PDO: 100.6 (98.8)

Impressive year over year improvement across the board. Edmonton’s goal differential year over year has improved by 54 goals, a monumental improvement. We spend a lot of time identifying the third best Oiler (behind McDavid and Talbot), but for me one of the reasons we see this kind of spike is better depth across the board, balance at almost every position. If you ask yourself the following question about each man, how many yes votes do you get?

• Can the Edmonton Oilers win the Stanley Cup with this player in his current position?

The answer for McDavid (No. 1 C) and Talbot (No. 1 G) is surely yes, but how many others can we give the check mark to? Surely we can agree the number is higher than one year ago.

THE OILERS IN THE 2017 DRAFT

• First Round: No. 24 overall
  • Third Round: No. 82 overall (FROM ST. LOUIS—this is payment for Nail Yakupov)
  • Third Round: No. 86 overall
  • Fourth Round: No. 117 overall
  • Fifth Round: No. 129 overall (FROM Vancouver—this is payment for Phil Larsen)
  • Fifth Round: No. 148 overall
  • Sixth Round: No. 179 overall
  • Seventh Round: No. 210 overall

The more I dig down on this draft, the more I think Edmonton grabs a player like Kole Lind in the first round. Although he is not a big winger, Lind offers an impressive offensive arsenal and is a perfect fit for the current cluster. Another item I am looking at is players who fell through last year’s draft and are eligible again this year. An example: Tyler Steenbergen, who I ranked No. 62 for the 2016 draft. I talk to a WHL scout every once in a blue moon, and he told me Steenbergen actually stepped forward last season, and this year is more a matter of being in a more prominent spot in the lineup. Among his positives are a quick release and an ability to impact the flow of play consistently. I think the Oilers might be in a position to add someone like Steenbergen at this year’s draft.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RYAN SMYTH!

Happy birthday to a heart and soul player who could still probably win a corner battle and get the puck to a good place for the Oilers. Turns 41 today, if the organization decides to honor a former player before each playoff game (Bruins do this, effectively), I think Smyth would be a fine place to start. His tears and departure signaled the decade of darkness, only fitting to bring him back on the first home playoff game at Rogers. I think that would be a fine idea.

487 Responses to "G60 2016-17: OILERS AT LIGHTNING"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Bruce Wayne says:

Sports is a morality play, for all of us. This is the divide.

2. spoiler says:

I’d bet money that the Hall trade haters are now a small minority, albeit a very vocal one in certain forums.

I’d also bet money the “fracturing” is over-stated.

And finally, I’d double bet that the Oiler fanbase is larger today than it was a year ago.

The Hall trade is very swiftly entering Tempest in a Teapot Territory.

3. Chachi says:

Bruce Wayne: The kind of person who cheers for the laundry above everything else is also the kind of person who thinks that every call against their team is bad, that every hit against them is a cheap shot, while the Brad Marchand on their team, just plays hard.

In my experience this is not true at all. If this is what your experience of fandom is like I can see why you think the way you do.

4. spoiler says:

Jethro Tull:
    spoiler,

I like: Pete has inherited a Ferrari.Pete has 4 kids.Pete needs a Volvo.Pete has no credit history.Every dealer knows this, but are willing to swap him one for one.What he has, what he needs, what they have and what they want for it.

BTW, this is a real life thing.A friend of my wife won a Stingray from West Ed mall.Have you SEEN the size of the potholes up here in the Peace country?

Precisely. Although I was kind of hoping it was an actual Stingray. You know, one that could swim in the potholes of the Peace country, preying on the unsuspecting…

Funny thing is, this talk actually runs to the core of Socialism vs. Capitalism.

The misguided notion of Equality and the attempted enforcement of said equality on transactions is inherently Socialist and coercive and thus illiquid.

Whereas allowing people to place their own value on things is inherently Capitalist and voluntary and thus liquid.

5. treevojo says:

On a positive note at least the Oilers are getting their best defender back in the lineup tonight.

I sure hope Chiarelli hurries up and signs him to a 4×4 before the playoffs or his price tag could skyrocket.

6. PunjabiOil says:

Jethro Tull: You have proof that the Oilers’ management conducted little to no analysis prior to any decision made?

What if they did and came up with different conclusions to you?

Consider their track record.

7. OF17 says:

who,

It’s disingenuous to pin rehashing the trade on just the Hall fans. We’ve all seen too many shots across the bow from both camps on the issue. “Oilers are winning! Guess Hall wasn’t so vital after all” or “Imagine how good it would be with Hall still here.” People on both sides of the spectrum do it, which is why we still fall down the rabbit hole so often. The most unfortunate part of it is that it sucks the air from the room and keeps us from discussing other things, like how tonight’s game boils down to McDavid vs Hedman-Stralman and Nuge-Eberle vs the underbelly.

One good thing about it: the fact that the trade gets brought up so often in both positive and negative light means it is likely closer to even than we think. It’s the only controversial or talked about move in recent memory where that’s the case. The others (Petry, Reinhart, Smyth, Pronger) are more collective lament than anything else. I’m not saying we should abandon our opinions on the trade in favor of homogenous agnosticism, but if you’re still getting truly worked up about it, reality is probably a little grayer than you’re interpreting it.

8. npanciroli says:

treevojo,

/dead

PunjabiOil,

I don’t think this is the same management group.

9. greenshifter says:

I can’t understand how anyone can be so attached to any individual Oiler players from the 2006 cup run to pre McDavid. They were all bad! The lackluster play, blowouts etc are etched in my memory more than any individual plays. I feel Hall, Eberle, RNH are the same players now as they were their first NHL game. Little to no improvement. They are highly over rated, not under rated as some suggest. I evenly put the blame on former management and the player for this.

10. treevojo says:

OF17,

Something that could be being discussed.

Brian Boyle a player of interest to the oilers at the trade deadline.

Scheduled to play second line on RW tonight.

I thought he was a potential 3c for the oil.

11. spoiler says:

treevojo,

I think his ability to play both C and RW is one of the reasons he is such an attractive target. (Not sure if position he was playing was what you were getting at…?)

12. treevojo says:

spoiler,

I just wasn’t aware he was playing that high up in the lineup.

Pegged him as a 3/4 liner.

13. stevezie says:

Bruce Wayne,

I understand the appeal of cheering for the laundry. I really do.

But it is not for me.

14. Dee Dee says:

If Taylor Hall is indeed The River Pusher, we’d see some sort of indication of that from his new team.

If the argument then becomes he needs better linemates to um, help him push? Then I would suggest he is in fact, not The River Pusher.

And 14 Goals (6 of which are on the powerplay) is not very good if you wanna be a River Pusher.

So as I understand it as I’ve been reading here lately:

Hall’s 14 Goals = Best Left Winger in Hockey.
    Lucic’s 12 Goals = Dumbest signing ever

That’s a mighty fine line to argue

15. stevezie says:

commonfan14: I get why some people can’t and never will though. I’ll personally never get over the Yak trade, and there’s mounting evidence that he stinks.

I respect that.

16. treevojo says:

Article for those of you who believe in this sort of thing.

17. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Hey, in today’s case, it seemed like yesterday there was a small discussion on it (the trade) and it died down. Then today, someone felt like they needed to say their piece again and reopened the can of worms. This happens regularly on both “sides” of the discussion. Call it “last word” syndrome or what have you. I am not calling out the specific poster today for doing it, as many of us have done this, and I am not innocent, either.

What I do hope is that we can stop saying “get over it” or “this team is winning, how can you be upset about this still?” or “look at the standings. Proof that Hall sucks and Larsson is awesome” on the one “side” and “Chia traded an elite forward for a defensive defenseman” or “this team would be even better with Hall and Demers than with Lucic and Larsson” or so on and so forth on the other “side.”

These are all just opinions. And we are entitled to our own. There is no proof of anything and we could do the “shoulda coulda woulda” and “what ifs” until we are blue in the face and we probably aren’t going to convince each other of anything by the way we keep going. Give the fans who were disappointed time. Hey, I am happy for the new Oiler fans out there who love this team thanks to McDavid, success, whatever. And the old gang shouldn’t rain on their parade. But I don’t think it is right for them to tell some of the old farts who are a little bit sad to “get over it,” either. It goes both ways.

Look, I think that there are different paths to winning. There is no one formula. We were on one path and it wasn’t working too well and Chia decided to dramatically alter that path, perhaps just before the path we were on might have worked out, or perhaps not. But out are two first overall forwards. In are more capable defensemen. Chia chose balance over potential. If the Oilers win a Cup, Chia is vindicated. And if not, he of all people knows he will be questioned until high water.

treevojo:
    OF17,

Something that could be being discussed.

Brian Boyle a player of interest to the oilers at the trade deadline.

Scheduled to play second line on RW tonight.

I thought he was a potential 3c for the oil.

Maybe this is their way of showcasing that he is capable of playing RW to the Oilers’ brass, who are looking for a 3C/ top 6 RW?

18. spoiler says:

treevojo,

Ahh, got you. Well, like most middle-of-the-pack players, he’s going to find himself in all kinds of different situations. Plus, featuring

19. The Hermit says:

I have read every post you have ever written on this blog.

From my perspective it looks like you enjoy tweaking other posters. I remember that in one of your posts a while back that you admitted to play a role at times.

I am sure that you know that the post that I quoted is not true.

Have a good day.

20. Side says:

PunjabiOil:
    As an Edmontonian and Oilers fan myself, the majority of the Oilers fans I know and have met loved Hall. There was a vocal minority who disliked him because he “falls down too much”. But this is purely anecdotal.

I don’t fully agree with this.

One has to look no further than HFboards today.

General conversation among (uninformed) friends reveals similar patterns.Silly rumours like Brian McDavid told the Oilers he wanted McDavid to move away from Hall due to his heavy partying lifestyle.

Stuff like that which gets repeated and recycled.

Andrew Ference comments only fuel the senseless speculation.

A shame.And completely inconsistent with all the evidence we have surrounding Taylor Hall.

I see what you meam, however, using comments on an internet forum as a litmus test for how a fanbase feels is not very accurate reflection of how the fanbase as a whole feels. The reason being, there are different kinds of people who comment on sports forums:

1) Trolls who are fans of the team and are just getting a rise out of people “Taylor Hall sucks, he’s soft and has a poor attitude”

2) Trolls who are not fans of the team but are just commenting to get a rise out of people, like a Flames fan who says “Taylor Hall sucks, he’s soft and has a poor attitude”

3) People who are genuinely fans of the team who either like or dislike aspects of the team

4) People with multiple accounts to either troll on all of their accounts to get a bigger rise out of people (yes, this actually happens)

5) People with multiple accounts to support a point made on one of their accounts to give it more credibility (yes, this actually happens)

When someone says “the fanbase sucks, I mean just look at these popular comment sections on our popular team websites!” that’s not an accurate reflection of the fanbase at all.

I could easily start 10 accounts on some Penguins forum and use each account to say how Sidney Crosby is the worst player ever, has a poor attitude, and cost the Penguins even more cups. Then a poor unsuspecting Bruce Wayne of the Penguins will see those 10 troll comments and think “Wow, this is the worst fanbase in the world, how can I be associated with these people?”

21. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

treevojo:
    Article for those of you who believe in this sort of thing.

I think everyone believes in camaraderie and team-building. You know what is the best way to that, though? I happen to think it’s winning. Winning means everyone is happy to play his role and pull together for the team. I happen to believe that comes first–a little win streak here or there, a few games stolen by the goalie as well–and then the bonding takes off. You could have a team of really nice guys who get along well but have many years of losing and that starts to fall apart. Add winning to the mix, and that kind of team chemistry becomes sustainable.

That said, I grant you it’s not 100% winning that does it. Bring in leaders who have experience and can still play to show the young guys what it takes. That’s where a guy like Lucic > a guy like Ference.

22. stevezie says:

The “have a Ferrari (and a Lamborghini Veneno), need a volvo” comparison is imperfect, but probably the best we have. Here’s the things though:

A) If you trade a Ferrari for a Volvo straight up you are not looking out for your family’s long term interests. Sure, the kids can get driven to school now, but you just fucked up their college fund. This is not a good move.
    2) It’s not likely you’ll be able to use two high performance sports cars at the same time. You can, however, use two high performance hockey players.

I like analogy because it shows the thinking that justifies the deal and its flaws- which I consider fatal.

The only way this trade makes sense is if off-ice Hall is not only an imperfect person but an active drag on the team. I see no compelling evidence of this.

But yeah, we can recover. If the team gets exciting again I’ll get back on board. Not just winning, but consistently fun to watch.

23. classict says:

OF17,

I’m not sure that’s entirely true. If Talbot or McDavid got injured this year and the Oilers missed the playoffs I’m almost certain (personal opinion) that the trade would be viewed far more negatively.

And if that’s the case, are those who are happy with the trade happy because the trade was good or because the Oilers are good?

24. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Well said. Although in Peace Country potholes are wells and Said is the Tool Push living next to you… 😉

25. stevezie says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Plus you can’t trust the players to tell you when they’re getting along. I am flabbergasted that people treat what players say publicly with the slightest bit of significance.

Not everyone is heading into camp in the best shape of their life.

26. stevezie says:

Bruce Wayne,

You can get a twitter account without spending time on twitter.

27. The Mook says:

A few weeks ago the Oilers record against playoff teams was brought up as a major concern.
    However, going into games tonight:

Oilers vs playoff bound teams: 15-12-4 0.548
    Oilers vs non playoff teams: 17-7-4 0.679

Breaking the playoff teams record to East vs West:

Oilers vs Eastern Conference: 4-7-0 0.364
    Oilers vs Western Conference: 11-5-4 0.650

First three rounds only against West, and record against our own division is 7-2-1 0.750
    There is plenty to be happy about here

28. Spengler says:

Anyone have a quality stream?

29. hunter1909 says:

The Hermit: I have read every post you have ever written on this blog.

I am sure that you know that the post that I quoted is not true.

Have a good day.

I agree. I never noticed this poster before much.Trolling like a good’un.

Probably a Flames fan.

It might even be a new version of DSF.

DSF 2.0

30. classict says:

Bruce Wayne:

Sports is a morality play, for all of us.This is the divide.

People are disagreeing with this, and I know it doesn’t apply to everyone, but I think it’s 100% accurate when it comes to more casual fans. Not the types that spend there days on a blog talking about the team, but the fans that can just forget the team exists for a couple years when they go through a bad spell.

Generally in my experience those people have no connection to the players they just like to enjoy the team when it’s doing well. Casual fans are the large majority, and I think with how easy it is to have a voice they’re also becoming very vocal.

31. spoiler says:

stevezie,

All comparisons are imperfect, and adding variables like you are doing will always make them more imperfect. The general gist, which you are avoiding, is correct however. That is, trades NEVER represent an exchange of equal value*. By making the comparison extreme, it is easier to see this truism.

*The exception of course is when you trade two fivers for a $10 bill or something similar. (Which doesn’t equate to 2nd liners for a first liner, before someone goes there).

Edit:
    *even this example doesn’t represent a trade of equal value. Essentially, if two things have equal value they will NOT be traded for each other, it would be pointless

32. spoiler says:

Spengler:
    Anyone have a quality stream?

Please bookmark.

33. hunter1909 says:

I like to check out rival fan boards.

Taylor Hall is getting talked about exactly the same way he was talked about when he was in Edmonton…that is basically:

“Taylor Hall’s a great player! The team blows but….”

Nail Yakupov talked about by St Louis fans:

“Yakupov needs to be played more often. How else can we evaluate him?”

Before they were traded I would have argued until I was blue in the face against doing either trade, but now the Oilers are sitting pretty and other players are emerging…fcuk it.

Sail on, Kingston Klingon…sail on Niznekamsk Nebbish.

34. who says:

Dee Dee:

So as I understand it as I’ve been reading here lately:

Hall’s 14 Goals = Best Left Winger in Hockey.
    Lucic’s 12 Goals = Dumbest signing ever

That’s a mighty fine line to argue

35. The Hermit says:

hunter1909,

He’s written a lot of good posts, he was Captain Obvious and Caramel Obvious.

I just think he likes to fan the flames sometimes.

36. hunter1909 says:

who: Never saw Hall as a perfect player but from what I have seen on the ice this year Lucic can’t carry Halls jock strap, don’t care about the goal totals.

Sure but Lucic can beat the living shit out of him. Which despite the fervent wishes of the Social Justice Warrior types still matters bigly in the 2017 NHL.

37. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Interesting… Anaheim looking to make a deal?

Could Vatanen be had, still? What could be done to grab him? Guessing the Oilers don’t have the pieces, but if Anaheim decides to make a splash that could have implications on the Oilers’ potential playoff opponent.

38. hunter1909 says:

The Hermit:
    hunter1909,

He’s written a lot of good posts, he was Captain Obvious and Caramel Obvious.

I just think he likes to fan the flames sometimes.

That silly highfaluting tone which basically says everyone but he is a fool kind of gives the game away. Combined with the applied logic of an idiot.

39. hunter1909 says:

Of course you’re probably 100% correct.

My last post toward you was more knee jerk(one of my specialties).

Spengler:
    Anyone have a quality stream?

For my age, I am doing fine.

41. jimmers2 says:

Lowetide: For my age, I am doing fine.

LOL. You’d have to be, to take the piss in the Spengler Cup

42. Spengler says:

Lowetide: For my age, I am doing fine.

Ha! Should have expected this response with everyone so full of piss and vinegar today!

43. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

TBL feed pumping Boyle’s tires, big time. Trying to get his trade value up?

44. cabbiesmacker says:

Quick question.

Which of the two is a bigger assault on the senses? Principe’s lame shtick or Pavarotti’s granddaughter singing O Canada?

45. JDï™ says:

Chachi,

I wafted a fart in your general direction.

Not a strong start, but a nice little defensive move there by Slepyshev to get his stick on the puck.

47. The Hermit says:

Lowetide: For my age, I am doing fine.

💧

💧

💧

Broken stick and a goal against. I am going to call that bad luck as opposed to poor execution. Hope Nuge is okay.

49. JDï™ says:

Broken stick at the point, AND he steps on it and falls.

50. npanciroli says:

Honestly, Nuge has destroy that guys stick I don’t care what it takes you hack that thing to pieces.

51. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Shit. Nuge a split second late recognizing the broken stick and hustling back.

52. Pouzar says:

Bad “break” /JDI

53. russ99 says:

Nice play by Connor, need to see more of that.

54. Pouzar says:

That rush by Connor is what he needs to do more of. Cross over, shoot.

55. spoiler says:

I’d like to see the half-season splits on Connor’s shooting rate… By eye he’s shooting more now.

56. Soup Fascist says:

What are the chances we can move Remenda at the deadline?

57. npanciroli says:

Oilers passing is shit so far, hope they get better. Looks like Roger’s ice also.

58. hunter1909 says:

Someone need to tell McDavid to tuck his jersey in. The way that thing hangs out of his ass makes him look like a twat. I’ll bet it screws up his game too.

I thought they brought in a new rule that penalizes this stupid shit.

Ovechkin used to do the same – with what looked like a child’s car seat sticking out of his ass.

59. hunter1909 says:

Soup Fascist:
    What are the chances we can move Remenda at the deadline?

Easy. I just automatically look for the away feed.

very nice save by Brossoit there, helluva good look by TBAY.

61. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Good save, LB. D-zone breakdown there.

Slepyshev is a nice piece for that line because he has good speed and awareness. Leon and Lucic getting caught miles from home is less alarming with him out there.

63. npanciroli says:

A clean breakout would be nice.

64. hunter1909 says:

Nice to see the Oilers starting to hit.

The Lightning definitely know how to play hockey. Please Oilers score because the way this game is shaping up it’s not going to go well unless they score fast.

65. Pouzar says:

Man we give up the puck a lot with that long pass/chip it in BS.

66. spoiler says:

Some very optimistic passing thus far…*

*this comment does not refer to LT’s streams…

67. Soup Fascist says:

I know Davidson had some bad luck on the goal, but he is not the same player we saw last year before the injury.

Pretty easy decision when Nurse gets back, IMO.

Pouzar:
    Man we give up the puck a lot with that long pass/chip it in BS.

69. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Oilers’ 1st periods are still very often sloppy, aren’t they.

70. leadfarmer says:

I’m guessing this is last season we see Nuge with the team this whole he’s good in his own zone has been made up when it became clear that he was a 50 point center. It was based on hope

71. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I think Leonand 97 might be the only forwards who have the green light. Maybe Eberle. All others pay cash.

Once that guy “chips” it, I have no idea what the plan is after that.

72. spoiler says:

I don’t think it is a matter of “green light” but rather a “read”. For eg, L1 just attempted the same tip in on that last shift… and we have seen all the lines generate odd man breaks, rush chances, etc,

73. hunter1909 says:

McDavid has to freaking shoot.

74. JDï™ says:

Passing by The Smothers Brothers.

Zone entries by The Stooges.

No pressure LB, but I fear a ‘Who’s on backcheck’ moment coming soon.

Very nice defensive play by Russell there, kind of a suicide save on a pass.

76. spoiler says:

I take back my Connor shooting comment.

77. npanciroli says:

hunter1909,

Agreed.

78. digger50 says:

Does Klefbom even know how to throw a hit??

79. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Oilers’ 1st periods are still very often sloppy, aren’t they.

Reminds me of my cooking. If I keep everyone waiting long enough by the time they get fed everyone’s so hungry there’s never a complaint.

Drouin is extremely dangerous. I am liking Brossoit so far, a quiet night (nine saves).

81. spoiler says:

JDï™: No pressure LB, but I fear a ‘Who’s on backcheck’ moment coming soon.

“I don’t know”?

Pouzar: Once that guy “chips” it, I have no idea what the plan is after that.

In San Jose, they did place and chase as opposed to dump and chase. I imagine the Oilers will be better at it when they change out a bunch more wingers. 🙂

83. OilClog says:

Someone needs to drill into Mcdavids head that scoring goals is as much fun if not more then setting them up..

Let the trailers get a rebound

84. stevezie says:

Not that Drouin for Yak was ever actually on the table, but oh man what a dream.

85. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Pouzar: Once that guy “chips” it, I have no idea what the plan is after that.

Lot of chip,not a lot of chase, and 0-5 shots since it was 5-5 about halfway though the period.

86. Pouzar says:

Love the Drai

87. ashley says:

Another play where Maroon has the blinders on. Very weak shot on net through a defender with CMD sailing in wide open in the slot. Twice this game already, last time tried to stuff it in with two defenders on him and both Eberle and CMD open.

If we want to see CMD really fly, he needs a better LW than that. And I’m not talking about Lucic, although I think Lucic would be an improvement.

88. hunter1909 says:

Oilers are going to need a bigger boat.

89. npanciroli says:

Frustrating period.

90. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

ashley:

If we want to see CMD really fly, he needs a better LW than that.

Noooooooooooooooooooo! (can of worms). 😉

91. hunter1909 says:

They really need a bigger boat.

92. Pouzar says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Lot of chip,not a lot of chase, and 0-5 shots since it was 5-5about halfway though the period.

yup.

Another shit 1st period.

93. hunter1909 says:

0-1 feels like a result.

1-0 Lightning, 12-6 in shots and TBAY clearly the better squad. Not quite like Chicago, but Edmonton was not sharp. I liked Brossoit, though. Do not blame him for the GA. Corsi for 5×5: 9-21.

95. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Chip and chase ineffective vs. a goalie who is very good at moving the puck. TMac should know this before the game starts, but I hope he can adjust at the intermission. Otherwise they aren’t going to score tonight.

96. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Do not blame him for the GA.

Is it okay if we blame Taylor Hall?

97. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: In San Jose, they did place and chase as opposed to dump and chase. I imagine the Oilers will be better at it when they change out a bunch more wingers.

Not a knock on anyone but close your eyes and picture a healthy Pitlick/Khaira combo.

98. spoiler says:

ashley,

He also passed it unsuccessfully across the low slot to 14/97 earlier in the period when he could’ve shot. Great vision on the play though.

Fuck, I really have my contrarian hat on today…

99. stevezie says:

spoiler,

Obviously all analogies are imperfect.

Yes, attaching numbers to these things is fallacious. We didn’t trade something worth a hundred grand for something worth fifty, we traded one human player for another. It’s messy and the value is never equal.

I think we lost the deal. I think the objective evidence is on my side.

100. npanciroli says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Honestly, the biggest knock on McLellan from me is he never appears to adjust his game plan.

101. spoiler says:

hunter1909:
    They really need a bigger boat.

I’d settle for one that’s tighter and less leaky. TB not Jaws this year.

102. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

I’ll wager they come out hitting in the 2nd. It’s the only way to deal with these ridiculous “skill” teams.

103. Acumen says:

That was very boring, hopefully they wake up a bit for the next period.

It’s too bad, I usually notice Tampa for all the right reasons: talented players, brilliant coaching schemes, beautiful game. Tonight they seem content to sit 3 back in the neutral zone, at home no less. Against a backup, no less!

104. JDï™ says:

hunter1909: Is it okay if we blame Taylor Hall?

105. hunter1909 says:

I used to drive high people’s cars down the east coast to Florida during college. Once I stayed at Clearwater beach which was basically paradise. It’s part of Tampa Bay so I’d see this fantastic hockey arena and imagined how cool it would be to go to the beach all day then to the rink for a nice cool(temperature) hockey game.

Of course I’ve never been back 🙁

106. spoiler says:

stevezie: I think we lost the deal

This notion doesn’t even make sense… unless you think there was an information mismatch or irrationality involved? Trades don’t happen if they are prima facie “lost”.

107. hunter1909 says:

JDï™: I blame Monty Hall. And that Bob Barker guy isn’t getting off easy either. I took my goldfish to three vets, and they all said it was impossible to spay or neuter it.

Finally. A poster who understands the game’s nuances.

108. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

hunter1909: It’s more than that. Tampa are beating them to the puck, and when they have the puck they know what to do with it. Oilers are trying hard, but their timing is either off a little, or else Tampa won’t let them do what they want to do.

Did I mistake your “bigger boat comment” to imply that there were too many passengers in the first, then? Cause that doesn’t jive with “are trying hard.” I am confused. Fill me in.

I didn’t think the effort was bad, just sloppy play and ineffective tactics.

109. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Did I mistake your “bigger boat comment” to imply that there were too many passengers in the first, then?

110. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I didn’t think the effort was bad, just sloppy play and ineffective tactics.

100% agree.

111. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

hunter1909: As my martial arts teacher would say “Many err by seeking that which is far, instead of what is near”.

So your martial arts teacher likes Occam’s Razor.

112. JDï™ says:

hunter1909: I used to drive high people’s cars down the east coast to Florida during college.

They were too high to drive? That sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

They call it Uber today, and the shine is off the pumpkin.

113. hunter1909 says:

I’ll say it again: I’m glad Gretzky never won any more cups after Edmonton.

114. JDï™ says:

Wayne didn’t look very enthused to be talking with Remenda.

115. Soup Fascist says:

spoiler: “I don’t know”?

He’s on third.

116. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Joe Smith
    ‏@TBTimes_JSmith

#Devils (2), #Isles, #Preds, #Sharks among teams with reps at #tblightning-#Oilers tonight

117. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

JDï™:
    Wayne didn’t look very enthused to be talking with Remenda.

He was on with Remenda? He was on the TBay broadcast, too (I know pre-recorded). Like Hunter, I have always chosen “away feed” whenever I can for the past many years. Unfortunate I feel that way, but this goes back well before Remenda’s arrival. Not a fan of the sportsnet broadcasts.

118. hunter1909 says:

JDï™: They were too high to drive? That sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

haha sorry I think I meant to say Old rich people who were too feeble to drive to Florida themselves for the winter.

Then in the spring I’d sometimes take a jet to Florida and drive a car back. Once I drove 1200 miles in a single day which for me was a lot.

119. spoiler says:

Soup Fascist: He’s on third.

The Third Man is usually the killer.

120. treevojo says:

JDï™,

I read it as though hunter was high.

There is a slight chance that he still is.

121. hunter1909 says:

Oh well. I have something else to do.

122. spoiler says:

Good words to hear from Chia via Shannon.

123. pocession charge says:

Russell looking russty.

124. spoiler says:

Well that was unpalatable.

125. JDï™ says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

They showed a shot of Wayne, seemingly cornered by Remenda, after the interview. Remenda was jabbering while Wayne frowned.

Also, fuck that Palat guy. Seriously.

126. Soup Fascist says:

Welcome back, Russell.

127. Centre of attention says:

spoiler:
    Good words to hear from Chia via Shannon.

what did he say? I missed it.

128. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Oil can’t connect on a tape-to-tape pass tonight to save their lives.

129. Pouzar says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Oil can’t connect on a tape-to-tape pass tonight to save their lives.

While TB are connecting on 3 ft high saucer passes.

130. npanciroli says:

Oilers look like shit. Forwards can’t make a pass or get through neutral zone.

131. npanciroli says:

Might be their worst game so far in the season considering the competition.

132. Surly says:

I feel like Constanza talking to the Yankees but man…Connor has to shoot on more of these 2 on 1s

133. hunter1909 says:

This game is turning into quite the ass-kicking.

134. The Hermit says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Joe Smith
    ‏@TBTimes_JSmith

Who could interest the Oilers from the Devils?

Edit: 🙂

135. hunter1909 says:

The Hermit: Who could interest the Oilers from the Devils?

#6 lol

136. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

The Hermit: Who could interest the Oilers from the Devils?

Would love Henrique. He he. Trying to avoid that can of worms again. But honestly. Henrique please.

137. spoiler says:

Centre of attention: what did he say? I missed it.

Paraphrasing…

“We’re going to be sitting around the office on deadline day watching you guys on TV and having a good time.”

Shannon’s theme was “no future good will be sacrificed for the present.good.”

138. hunter1909 says:

So many cross ice suicide passes.

Until tonight, they usually get away with them.

139. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

TMacBlender already has 97-29 back together again.

140. The Hermit says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Would love Henrique.

Thanks man, I like him too.

I was just alluding to, you know… 😉

141. spoiler says:

Centre of attention,

Which I find to be very nuanced. Especially the public vote of confidence for his players/prospects.

142. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

The Hermit: Thanks man, I like him too.

I was just alluding to, you know…

I knew…ha ha. I knew.

143. hunter1909 says:

Tampa Bay: 2 minutes for piling on.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    TMacBlender already has 97-29 back together again.

You know, I’m glad.

145. Pouzar says:

Nuge has even forgot how to button hook.

146. treevojo says:

Liro

147. hunter1909 says:

Hey I went to take a piss and look! Oilers score!!

148. Soup Fascist says:

Finns scoring throughout the league tonight.

149. The Hermit says:

Very nice Pak!

Pakarinen scored.

151. npanciroli says:

He can definitely shoot.

hunter1909:
    Hey I went to take a piss and look! Oilers score!!

Drink more and get back in there!

153. treevojo says:

Bishop is wishing he negotiated contract with someone last summer

154. spoiler says:

Pakman looks like the same old guy. Had a dangerous shot too at the end of the period the other night. We so badly need guys who can score from distance.

155. treevojo says:

Weak goal

156. Professor Q says:

Maybe they should discuss cars more often?

157. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Lowetide: Drink more and get back in there!

That was a good stream!

158. JDï™ says:

Pakarinen Pakarinen

Pakarinen

Pakarinen Pakarinen

Pakarinen

Pakarinen Pakarinen

Ohhhhhhh Pakarinen

159. russ99 says:

Nice goal Pak!

160. npanciroli says:

Eberle benched?

161. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Was that Klef with the nice pass? Think it was, right. And Pak got a little lucky. Shot knuckleballed after Coburn tipped it. But we’ll take it. Oil had nothing going. See if they can grab momentum now.

162. Acumen says:

I gotta say, Lucic probably leads the team in yelling-at-the-screen per 60 for me, but the team woke up when he went apeshit at Paquette for smacking Laurent’s glove.

163. Pouzar says:

Caggs misses the net high. Everybody drink.

164. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

npanciroli:
    Eberle benched?

Not benched but 29 back on 97’s starboard side so he is down the order now.

165. Spengler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: That was a good stream!

Haha! I’m too far under the weather to keep up with the cleverness tonight. But I’m enjoying it nonetheless.

166. Acumen says:

Hell of a Dzone shift by #6 there.

Nice defensive play by Adam Larsson there. If Edmonton comes back remember that one.

168. npanciroli says:

Love you Larsson.

169. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Larsson! Great job bailing out Klefbom who made an ill-advised gamble with Drouin out there.

170. npanciroli says:

um what.

171. Soup Fascist says:

Maroon can stop the blind passes to no one in front of the net ANYTIME now.

Tampa Bay starting to take control of this game now, Oilers need to get to the dressing room down 2-1. Can they?

173. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Curious to see the numbers tomorrow but my eye test does not like Davidson-Benning one bit tonight

174. Acumen says:

Weeeeeak call.

175. Soup Fascist says:

Sounds like a 48 Hours Mystery teaser, LT.

Channeling Keith Morrison?

176. npanciroli says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

It is not working today by my eyes either.

Although Sekera Russell seems like a tire fire as well.

177. Strapping Jocks says:

The Lightening were totally offside on that last play that ended with shots against the Oil, and a penalty.

178. stevezie says:

spoiler: This notion doesn’t even make sense… unless you think there was an information mismatch or irrationality involved?Trades don’t happen if they are prima facie “lost”.

Could you restate that last point about trades not happening if one side is losing?

179. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Oil have a chance to steal a point, which is forward progress at this point. They have looked out of sync all night.

After 2: TAMPA up 2-1, 22-16 edge in shots as well for the Lightning. Corsi for 5×5: 27-37 Bolts.

181. hunter1909 says:

Unless Oilers score more than 2 more goals I’ll definitely be happy with OT tonight.

182. Centre of attention says:

It’s weird.

I cracked a sprite with some bite immediatly following that tire fire of a first period.

The more I’ve drank, the better the Oilers have played it seems.

Somebody more clear headed help me, is it the liquor talking or are the Oilers getting themselves back in this game?

183. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Oil have a chance to steal a point

Which in the NHL is far stranger than an “old fashioned” tie.

184. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Centre of attention:
    It’s weird.

The more I’ve drank, the better the Oilers have played it seems.

bit of both? The back half of the 1st period was particularly bad, but the Lightning have been the better team consistently all night. Still, the Oilers are only down a goal and a bit of McDavid magic away from at least stealing a point on the road.

It’s not as bad as the Chicago game, though. They just haven’t looked good on offense. Passes missing each other, poor zone entries, etc.

185. hunter1909 says:

Centre of attention: is it the liquor talking

Please. If you keep talking like this my liquor’s going to start tap dancing around the kitchen.

Soup Fascist: Sounds like a 48 Hours Mystery teaser, LT.

Channeling Keith Morrison?

It was Thursay, October 9. A cool breeze came in off the lake, and the locals began to talk about the inevitable change in the weather to come. The lights went on around 11 o’clock that night, all along Lakeshore drive—except the lights at local real estate developer Kyle Lipschitz.

187. treevojo says:

stevezie: What? I must not be understanding you correctly. Of course trades are lost, and of course it is because one side has either bad information or irrationality. I think the Bruins lost the Thornton trade, for example. Prima facie

Do you think Shero would trade Hall back for Larsson today?

188. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Wow, good game in TO. Laine buries his 2nd of the game with 1 second left in the 2nd and a scrum breaks out. #30 for Laine.

189. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

treevojo: Knowing what Chiarelli knows now 3/4 into this season do you think he would trade back Larsson for Hall today?

Do you think Shero would trade Hall back for Larsson today?

I think neither would take back the trade.

190. Yeti says:

Do you think Shero would trade Hall back for Larsson today?

That’s an interesting way of putting it. Personally, I didn’t agree with the trade at the time although I really like Larsson as a player. However, there’s more than one way to skin a cat and Chiarelli clearly thinks he can make it work with Larsson. So, to answer your question, I don’t think either of the GMs would undo the trade if given the opportunity right now. And that includes Chiarelli having hindsight on Lucic not being the driving force he probably assumed he would be.

191. digger50 says:

They are missing Gryba badly. Defence is back to butter soft in corners, gap control and in front of the net.

We talk about Oilers being tougher to play against and we have several contributors, but Grubs brings it every night. He is one of the hardest hitters in the league and hits everything that moves. The way to stop these speed teams? Hit them, repeatedly, slow them down, disrupt them.

Gryba knows his strengths, he owns the corner and front of the net. He knows his weaknesses and utilizes his partner to move the puck. On that note though he can bank it off the glass as good as any Oiler D.

My post is not Gryba is better than so and so. Just he brings a needed element to the roster. We talk about balance and he is balance. You don’t need everybody duplicating each other’s skill set.

If I was Chia I would make sure I budget 1m for this guy on the roster, he is a tool you want to have in your toolkit.

I look forward to Nurse / Gryba back together on third pairing.

192. treevojo says:

Centre of attention,

I can’t say for sure because I drink for pretty much every game but I feel like this years oilers are never that far out of a game.

It’s a new feeling that I have had to get used to after so many years of suck.

193. hunter1909 says:

Tampa are this good yet they’re mired in wtf 11th place?

The East has certainly overtaken the Western Conference. Great news for the Oilers.

194. treevojo says:

I’m not asking if they would take back the trade.

I’m asking if given the choice today with the teams current records would either of them make that trade today?

195. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

hunter1909:
    Tampa are this good yet they’re mired in wtf 11th place?

they had the injury bug. Stamkos, Drouin, Bishop, triplets injured at various times this year. On paper when healthy they are still a good team. They were just starting to get hot lately when the Oilers came to town.

196. Pouzar says:

My Gord Laine.

197. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

treevojo:
    I’m not asking if they would take back the trade.

So you are saying the Oilers are 32-19-8 with Hall, Jersey is whatever they are with Larsson and would Chia and Shero make the trade? In that case Chia probably stands pat (doesn’t mess with a good thing) and Jersey definitely pulls the trigger.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »