The Edmonton Oilers protected list is as expected and combined with the fabulous ineligibles, things look good leading up to the expansion draft.
PROTECTED AND INELIGIBLE
HAPPY FATHER’S DAY
We lived in Whonnock, past Haney a bit. I went to Thornhill School, my teacher was Mrs. Norman. She was the best teacher in history. Other kids called her ‘iron pants’ and I thought that was horrible. How could they? I rode bikes and chased my dog Colby and stole apples from my Grandpa’s tree and ate them. Grandpa had a giant horse named Tom, I would feed him apples, too. I had a good childhood, every kid deserves one.
My Dad and I would play cribbage sometimes at night, I loved doing it. He’d read the paper after supper (called Richard Nixon “Richard the Lying Hearted” and would laugh) and I’d linger just in case he wanted to play. If he got up from the table, then it wasn’t going to be a cribbage night. If we were going to play three games (less if you lost the first two), he’d tell me to grab the crib board and would start shuffling cards. We would play and chat, he’d impart his pearls of wisdom (“never let people confuse your kindness for weakness”) and I’d listen and nod.
My Dad had a yellow truck, I think it was a Mercury but could be wrong. We loved it, and when he decided to sell it, my brother and I were pretty upset. He would park it at the end of the driveway, with a For Sale sign on it, and drive the car to work. My brother, older and smarter, would park his ass beside the truck and tell people who stopped by that it had already been sold. Sometimes he’d take the For Sale sign out. True story.
When I introduced Mrs. Lowetide to my parents, he liked her right away. On maybe the third time we were visiting, Jo-Anne (that’s Mrs. Lowetide) got a terrible stomach ache at about one in the morning. Dad and I drove from Southgate (that’s where Mom and Dad lived) to the all night drug store on Jasper Avenue to get her a hot water bottle. While I drove, Dad told me she was a fine person and I was lucky to have found her. Probably used all of 10 words doing it and said it in the dark silence of a rolling vehicle at 2am with both of us staring straight ahead. There’s nothing like a Father who cares enough to tell you what’s true. Miss you Dad.
GOOD PLAYERS AVAILABLE!
At first blush, it appears there are about one dozen excellent players available for draft and trade. Peter Chiarelli has a chance to do business in the next few days with George McPhee. Here are some names.
- LD Calvin DeHaan, NY Islanders. A fine player.
- RD Sami Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. Talented, inconsistent.
- RD Matt Dumba, Minnesota Wild. Power play option, chaos in his game.
- RD Josh Manson, Anaheim Ducks. A dream solution to 2RHD
- RD Jason Demers, Florida Panthers. Veteran D visited Edmonton as UFA last summer.
- LD Brandon Davidson, Montreal Canadiens. Would love to see him back.
- RD Colin Miller, Boston Bruins. If available, interesting option.
- LC Brock Nelson, NY Islanders. What is Snow doing?
- R Jonathan Marchessault, Florida Panthers. Brilliant player, surprise exposure.
- C-R Ryan Strome, NY Islanders (69gp, 13-17-30). Rumors.
- L James Neal, Nashville Predators. Volume shooter.
- R Pontus Aberg, Nashville Predators. Intriguing youngster.
- R Josh Anderson, Columbus Blue Jackets. Scored 17 goals, has size.
I did this on the fly, apologies if there are errors or omissions. More to come.