The Edmonton Oilers have signed Kris Russell. Four years, $16 million, front loaded, modified no trade as per Ryan Rishaug on TSN.
KRIS RUSSELL 2016-17
- 5×5 points per 60: 0.60 (7th among regular defensemen)
- 5×4 points per 60: 3.23 (one point in 18 minutes)
- Corsi for 5×5 %: 46.4
- Corsi Rel 5×5 %: -5.8
- DFF Elite 5×5 %: 47.8
- DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: -1.1 (35 percent of TOI v. elites)
- Shots on goal/percentage: 68 shots/1.5%
- Boxcars: 68, 1-12-13
- (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)
- Special thanks to GMoney and Woodguy for sharing the DFF’s
As we discussed this morning a four-year deal is too long by plenty. The $4 million per season is also too much (several reports had the number at or near $4.5 million per year) and the contract itself is impossible to defend as value. Once again, free agency is a bad route to go. The Oilers are paying for poor drafting and have been for many years. Getting it right at the draft table this weekend is vital.