It has been an eventful year for Connor McDavid. He reached the century mark in points at the end of the regular season, a romp to the scoring title. He would add the Hart and Lindsay trophies to the Art Ross, and today, he signed a long-term contract with the Edmonton Oilers. The most valuable future in hockey will play at Rogers Place for a long, long time. The contract is eight years, $12.5 million per season, via myriad sources.
Lots of talk today about the contract and cap and that’s fair, because it’s news. Consider this: Connor McDavid scored 71 EV points in 2016-17, and he did that in 1418:05 EV minutes. That works out to 3.00 per 60 at evens.
CONNOR MCDAVID 2016-17 SEASON
- 5×5 points per 60: 2.89 (1st among regular forwards, No. 1 NHL)
- 5×4 points per 60: 5.96 (3rd among regular forwards, No. 24 NHL)
- Corsi for 5×5 %: 52.9
- Corsi Rel 5×5 %; 3.5
- DFF Elite 5×5 %: 55.2
- DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: 7.3
- Shots on goal/percentage: 251 shots/12.0%
- Boxcars: 82, 30-70-100 (Won Art Ross Trophy)
- Hart Trophy
- Lindsay Award
- (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)
- Special thanks to GMoney and Woodguy for sharing the DFF’s