The Edmonton Oilers made several roster moves this afternoon, sending goalie Nick Ellis, defender Dillon Simpson and forwards Patrick Russell and Ty Rattie to Bakersfield. Simpson and Rattie have to await clearing waivers but should be able to play by the time exhibition games begin later this week.
THE DISTANT BELLS NO LONGER RING
- No distant bells will make the opening night lineup, Anton Slepyshev remains the last man to do it.
- Sekera, Benson and Ferlin are extremely likely to start the season on NHL IR based on handling during TC.
- This is the last time this preseason we’ll see the distant bells for this training camp. They’ll return next summer!
THE UNCERTAIN OILERS
- At least three of these names will make the opening night roster, barring a trade.Todd McLellan said today they wanted to have another look at Ryan Stanton, but injuries are getting in the way. Could mean Stanton also begins the season on the reserve list.
- If we assume IR will house Andrej Sekera, Tyler Benson, Brian Ferlin, Ryan Stanton and Anton Slepyshev, then we may see more of these names make the grade.
- In a case like that, I would guess Jujhar Khaira, Iiro Pakarinen, Kailer Yamamoto and Yohann Auvitu make the opening night list from the uncertain group.
- Mark Fayne still in the picture is interesting. I don’t want to write anything positive, might jinx it. He made it inside the top 9D and may be an earlier than expected recall.
THE CERTAIN OILERS
- The only questions now are Anton Slepyshev and the final three or four names. We’re basically through the decision-making process.
WHAT ABOUT YAMAMOTO
He hasn’t made the team yet, but it is probably close. His performance last night stood out for effort and effective play. It’s not official until it’s official, but the young man ran it up as far as he possibly could and now we wait.
WHAT ABOUT PULJUJARVI
I think he makes the team. Anton Slepyshev’s injury likely means all of the kids applying for RW work make the team. The next pressure point would be the 9-game mark for Yamamoto. As of this minute, not sure how that will go.