The Edmonton Oilers are going to be doing the ‘theme from Rawhide’ in the coming months (“Cut ’em out, ride ’em in, Ride ’em in, cut ’em out, Cut ’em out, ride ’em in, RAWHIDE!”) and that means badly needed fresh recruits. The fall graduating class is far more encouraging that the 2017 group, led by Kailer Yamamoto, Tyler Benson and William Lagesson.
Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.
- New Lowetide: Do you trust Peter Chiarelli?
- New Corey Pronman: Mid-Season draft rankings
- Lowetide: Which way you going, Brandon Davidson?
- Pierre Lebrun: A chat with Peter Chiarelli
- Lowetide: Putting together optimal lines after the deadline
- Jonathan Willis: Oilers planning for summer.
- Lowetide: Central Scouting and where the Oilers shop for talent
My Chiarelli article is getting some attention this morning, it’s a sincere attempt to frame the fan upset against the organization’s stated plan. Here is an excerpt:
- Oilers fans are mindful of the potential ceiling this club had that seemingly no longer exists. The real tragedy is that promise being extinguished by the team’s management. That could (and possibly has) caused a fracture between club and fans that may not have a solution, at least not in the short term.
- UFA’s: Patrick Maroon, Mike Cammalleri, Yohann Auvitu, Mark Letestu, Edward Pasquale, Mark Fayne. Total: 6.
- RFA’s: Darnell Nurse, Matt Benning, Ryan Strome, Drake Caggiula, Brandon Davidson, Anton Slepyshev, Iiro Pakarinen, Laurent Brossoit, Dillon Simpson, Joey Laleggia, Ty Rattie, Nick Ellis, Braden Christoffer, Keegan Lowe, Grayson Downing, Kyle Platzer, Ben Betker, Patrick Russell, Brian Ferlin. Total: 19.
- The Oilers will have three of their four slides arrive in pro hockey next season (Yamamoto, Benson, Wells) with Dmitri Samorukov heading back to junior. Stuart Skinner is eligible to sign a pro deal but it would be highly unusual to have two goaltenders arrive at the same time.
- Patrick Maroon, Mark Letestu and Mike Cammalleri. These men represent actual NHL talent and will need to be replaced.
- Yohann Auvitu, Edward Pasquale, Mark Fayne, Anton Slepyshev, Braden Christoffer,Dillon Simpson, Grayson Downing, Kyle Platzer, Ben Betker, Brian Ferlin run the range in terms of quality but the organization will have players who duplicate their skills. Simpson may stay with Keegan Lowe leaving, but I’m guesing it turns out this way.
- With three SR’s turning pro, and if the names above are correct, Edmonton will enter summer with 39 names on the 50-man list.
- Slide-rules Kailer Yamamoto, Tyler Benson and Dylan Wells will all arrive in pro, likely Bakersfield for two of them, we’ll see about Yamamoto. High skill forwards often skip the AHL.
- William Lagesson is a strong option to play in Bakersfield this fall. Edmonton has signed him and controls his hockey destination.
- Tyler Vesel is having a fine season with Omaha-Nebraska. He plays center, so might be a valuable addition to the Condors (who badly need skilled pivots).
R.I.P. BACK OF NET ☠️⚰️?
— Omaha Video (@OmahaVID) January 28, 2018
He is an older prospect so there won’t be a kicker in year three. Is he better than Joe Gambardella? I’ve never been certain Edmonton would sign Vesel, but it’s probably worth the roster spot just to see if he can deliver in pro hockey. Rob Vollman’s NHLE estimator has NCHC players retaining 43 percent of their offense. For Vesel, who is 10-14-24 in 26 games, his NHLE is 32.5 points. That’s a fine number.
LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE
At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Much to discuss!
- Jonathan Willis, The Athletic. Oilers handled Nurse well, what to expect from the second half.
- Scott Cullen, TSN. Super Bowl, Oilers at the deadline.
- Josh Eberley, Hoop Mag. NBA had a massive trade yesterday.
10-1260text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!