Blame it on Cain

Peter Chiarelli held his postseason media avail yesterday. It was an unusual Q and A, I came away thinking he is convinced the players and coaches were the problem last year. Full stop. The frank approach to the questions was refreshing but I’m not sure it presented the general manager in a good light. “I’m trying to be accountable here” is one quote I’ll remember, especially framed against “subpar” players and coaches who “didn’t perform.” It was a Teflon Pete avail, almost like his answers might be used against him in an upcoming evaluation. Strange strange press conference. As for the Oilers summer: Expect change in coaching, but the usual: Assistant coaches, men on expiring deals, the Mandelbaums, maybe they’ll fire Morey Gare again.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. Offer is here.

• New Lowetide: Trading the first-round pick: Oilers ponder summer (will link)
  • New Jonathan Willis: Important Oilers don’t over commit when addressing D
  • Lowetide: Finding the Oilers first-shot scorer.
  • Lowetide: Oilers summer to-do list short and sweet.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and Russia: A draft tragedy.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the Republic of Finland
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and Sweden.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the QMJHL.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018Oilers and the WHL.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: Oilers draft history and the OHL
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the NCAA.

A nice pass by the new guy to the other new guy for the Condors only goal last night. Mike Griffith from Bakersfield.com has details, Marody centered Vesel and Dave Gust to form an all college line. The team plays again tonight in San Jose.

JESSE PULJUJARVI

Chiarelli had some encouraging words about Jesse Puljujarvi, saying he played a cleaner game upon return. He correctly identified JP as being a dangerous player upon recall, and then the air went out of his tires later on. He’s 19. Patience. As I’ve said many times, the only question about Jesse Puljujarvi surrounds his future role as a mature NHL player. He might be a 35-goal power forward or a tough two-way winger who can score 20 a year.

I have three comparables for JP’s second year, they are above. The late-season dive in production hurt Puljujarvi’s numbers but I think you can make a case that the Oilers man can hang with this group. For the first 33 games of his season (about halfway), JP’s 5×5 60 scoring number was 1.82, he was 33, 8-5-13 at that time.

Puljujarvi’s time with Ryan Strome (236 minutes) was good in possession (50.32 Corsi for 5×5) less so in production (1.27 5×5 per 60). It is vital for one of Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl to help bring this young man along. JP spent 252 minutes with 97 (1.91 5×5 60 scoring) and 99 minutes with Draisaitl (2.5 5×5 60 scoring) this season. Whatever the eyes are telling the coaching staff, math is screaming the opposite. Kid can play.

Quick thoughts on the avail

I was driving for the entire press conference, so didn’t pick up any visual cues. Based on what I heard:

• Chiarelli seemed at times defensive, other times to deflect. Whatever he feels about his role in this team’s lack of success, there was no coming to Jesus moment. Irksome for fans, perhaps instructive for those being evaluated by PC (mirror his behavior, Todd! Blame the ice).
  • He defended Lucic. No surprise. Any general manager who agreed to that contract with a player he knows is going to do the same. I read lots of rage tweets about this area, remember when a GM signs a guy he is “his guy” and that doesn’t change. I do think he’d trade Lucic if he could, but isn’t going to tell us.
  • The pace versus speed thing is (imo) a talking point. Edmonton has forwards who can’t get to the play on time, that’s a fact. Too many of those players. I did like his comment about breakouts, this team has ridiculous skill, get the damned puck to 97.
  • He’s going to replace one of the assistant coaches, maybe two of them.
  • I have time for his point about forwards growing into roles, think we saw that with Puljujarvi and others. However, his point about getting enough offense from his group of forwards is questionable. Edmonton’s 5×5 scoring was mid-pack but ignores the power play. Returning this group would be negligence.
  • The “I’m trying to be accountable here, but…” line is one I think Chiarelli will grow to regret. Todd McLellan took responsibility. Unless I missed it, PC did not.
  • Looks like a substantial goalie is coming in to play behind Cam Talbot. I’m well pleased.
  • Not blowing up the team is wise, pleased about the Nuge words. I’m not thrilled with trading the first-round pick, but options are limited and it is the most agreeable (Nuge, Klefbom, JP) asset out.
  • The comment from players about lack of commitment was important, I believe. For me, the special teams issues were at least partly due to not buying in, especially the penalty kill. Acknowledgement is a key element in turning things around.
  • I liked the words on Puljujarvi, looks like Rattie is coming back and as I said yesterday there’s a chance Andrej Sekera gets bought out or traded.

Overall, a surprisingly (and unnecessarily) defensive media avail for Peter Chiarelli. He’s a Harvard man and I went to the Columbia School of Broadcasting, so offering advice from my end is kind of silly. I will say that my knowledge of this city and its doings allows me to say that more media avails during the season would do Peter Chiarelli well. People don’t see him during the bad times, don’t see him acknowledge his own role in this past season, well, let’s just say there’s a way we do things out west and Todd McLellan knows them.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning and a wonderful group of guests on the way. Scheduled to appear:

• Aaron Portzline, The Athletic. Columbus Blue Jackets are in the playoffs and strong enough to push deep. We’ll preview a fantastic series.
  • Rob Vollman, NHL.com and ESPN. Rob has new NHL equivalency numbers, we’ll discuss the Oilers top prospects and what their NHLE’s suggest. Plus playoff experience and how much it helps.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. We’ll check in on Frank, who has been doing incredible work in Humboldt and Saskatoon. We’ll also talk some playoffs, including Bruins v. Leafs and about the Chiarelli avail.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. It’s all happening!

369 Responses to "Blame it on Cain"

« Older Comments
  1. Ribs says:

Team Canada names 18 to WHC roster… https://www.tsn.ca/team-canada-names-18-to-whc-roster-1.1055392

Gonna be a speedy skilled team, by the looks of it. Should be fun to watch!

2. highgloveside says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

It has never been reported or even assumed that Montoya was going to be put on waivers. Picking up Davidson on waivers and trading for a 3rd at the deadline more than makes up for that.

3. Ribs says:

I wonder who Nurse will get paired up with. This could be a big learning experience for him.

4. treevojo says:

pboy:
    Spector with a pretty scathing piece on the OBC on Sportsnet.ca

Probably the best article he has written.

The red wine summits.

Golden!

5. Wilde says:

I’m very excited to see what their secret plan to fight inflation is.

6. Jethro Tull says:

Ribs:

I would like for Talbot to have gone and have a few sessions with Marty Brodeur.

7. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

treevojo: Probably the best article he has written.

The red wine summits.

Golden!

– Red Wine Summits: beaut. He’s on my team. I know I’m not popular with my view of the OBC (and using it as a defence for Chia), but the whispers Spector hears, I have seen

– It actually takes some courage for a MSM guy to call out the OBC

– The OBC: they enjoy their lives, lets put it that way

– That they have the ear of the owner though is a problem

– If one OBC leaves, and they bring in another exec non-Oiler, that would be something

– I’m sure its no coincidence that the only hire that has been made in the exec since Chia was hired was Keith. And if his last name wasn’t Gretz, not sure he does get hired. But by all accounts he’s been good. If an actual OBC gets punted, you know there is change…

– I’m holding hope this is the reason they haven’t made any coaching changes yet: they are going to bring in another outside Hockey guy to help with that process

8. Munny says:

Wayne Kenov: I left after the beginning of the interview. Did he really say that? How can you support a plan that doesn’t include detail on how the most expensive cap hit in nhl history will be managed?

This is what makes Hudson’s posts so valuable. They are transcripts as opposed to a paraphrasing… which sometimes comes with bias.

9. Doug McLachlan says:

Julius Ceasar – “Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan.”

For fear of being labled a Chia apologist, I think you can disagree with a lot of his moves while still understanding them.

Loved that LT put the 2014-15 50 Man Chart up on yesterday’s post. Seriously, go back and look at that list people. Ugly.

Amazing talent in Hall. Really good offensive winger in Eberle. Underappreciated but physically dominated center in Nuge. Hopefulls but still unknowns in Draisiatl, Klefbom and Nurse. Not much else that you can see building around.

Narratives are never the whole story but they aren’t completely wrong. The 2014-15 Oilers were a tire-fire.

Oilers ranked 26th out of 30 in GF and dead last in GA. The magic Ping-Pong balls (4-10-8-7) had already sealed that Chia got to pick McDavid so the focus needed to be pretty basic score more goals and allow less.

So Chia makes the deal for Talbot. Even with the down year, I think we’ve collectively seen enough to agree on calling the Talbot trade a win but, as will McDavid, I am prepared to credit the previous administration for laying the groundwork.

I disagreed with the Reinhart trade but I understood it. You were not able to make a deal with the guys who just fired your ass to get Dougie Hamilton (the d-man you wanted) even though you made the objectively better offer so you go and settle/massively overpay for an inadequate replacement on the faulty notion that he was the guys your new scouts wanted instead of Yakupov and he’s been seasoned in the AHL so he’s close to ready). D’oh. He should never have been an alternate plan for Hamilton. Nothing was better, obviously, but the error was in the assessment of the solution not the assessment of the problem. On a side note, I still agree with NOT adding Nurse to the Hamilton package.

Post draft, liked the Sekera signing (even with the NMC) as he was the only real NHL d-man on the roster. Similarly thought that the Klefbom signing can be called a win. Part of the reason we are all afraid of losing Klefbom is we acknowledge that he is on a value contract, especially if he heals up that shoulder.

McDavid wows but gets hurt in his rookie season, the narrative that the Oilers are soft is constant and holds some resonance of truth to it. The GF remain awful (tied for 25th) and the GA “improve” to 26th. Still need more help on defense.

Leading into the 2016 draft there is the possible trade of Drai and Nurse and the 4th to Montreal for Subban and the 9th. I am glad that we didn’t make that deal but we understood the thinking. Apparently the 9th would have been used on Sergachev. Despite losing the lottery we can still get Puljujarvi, which most people here are pretty stoked about as there was a lot of gnashing of teeth that we might draft Tkachuk.

Chia kills all HOPE by dealing Hall for Larsson and we are now in full Prozac-dependence mode ever since. I still hurt, physically, thinking about this deal but I understood the why even if I disagreed with the how. Signed Lucic and couldn’t/declined to sign Demers. Shed Yakupov for a pick (which I believe becomes Stuart Skinner by way of Arizona). Get the much maligned Russell on a legit one-year show me deal.

The Oilers then go and have an amazing season. GF are 8th in league – after trading Hall and with Eberle dealing with career low shooting %s – and GA are also 8th in the league. Oh, and PLAYOFFS!!

Small sample size of Dria activating beast-mode and not only do they make it into the post-season dance they are onto the second round. Two wins on road in Anaheim; extra day in mountains for the Ducks and then two losses at home. We then have the game 5 melt-down of the Oilers and the Sekera injury which is just ending about now. Seriously, F**k the Ducks!

While I am here, F**k the refs, F**k the war room in Toronto, and the F**k Kessler.

We get the catharsis of game 6 (a game I got to watch live, BTW – we are all Kassian). And… sadly Game 7 where, like Game 7 of the ’06 Finals it never felt like we were in it.

I don’t agree with the decisions Chia made to get to this point – specifically Hall-Larsson-Lucic – but at this point, last summer, I also understand the thinking that essentially goes “the issue with the Oilers isn’t too little Hall, too much Larsson and Lucic but rather not enough Larsson and Lucic”. Again, don’t agree with that thinking but I can understand it.

They go to the draft and get what I think we agree was a pretty good haul (Yamamoto in 1st, pay the ridiculous Chia debt to Boston in the 2nd, Skinner and Samorukov in 3rd, Safin in 4th, and Maksimov in 5th).

Most important signings are McDavid for 8 years (it could have been more $ and still be a bargain, it could have been for less years and nobody would have questioned the kid) and Draisaitl (also for 8yrs and about $1M more then we all would have liked). Leon signs for a premium because he timed his breakout season/playoff well.

I would have liked to have gotten Leon under contract for less but the verbal about the possible offer sheet makes me think Leon was actually offered one (I believe by Montreal) but didn’t sign it as he and his agent didn’t need Leon’s signature (and PR headache) to get the negotiating leverage he wanted. Absolutely nothing to back this rampant speculation up with but my spidey-sense was really going off this summer and if I was an agent the idea of a offer-sheet leverage tool makes a lot of sense.

One thing about the Chia regime that seems to still hold vs previous Oiler administrations is that the office on Kingsway doesn’t leak like it used to. The fact that the offer sheet story kept coming up last summer has me inclined to think it was coming from out of town and was based on something tangible. Probably won’t know for sure for years but it will come out if my instinct is correct.

Anyway, once Eichel signed his deal for $10M the Leon was “overpaid” talk started to fade. Suspect that it will go away completely after this summer with Marner, Laine, and Mathews’ deals in the offing. Imagine how Toronto will react if Mathews doesn’t have his deal signed by July 2nd – twitter will be fun. (Troll fact: Vegas has all it’s picks in 2020 even after the Tatar trade. Just saying. ***cough***Max Deal***cough***)

So Chia then re-ups Russell for too much, too long and with a NMC. Again, not agreeing, but I really get why they wanted him back even though the numbers didn’t justify it. I can see (maybe it’s just a foolish hope on my part) a deal to Calgary because of the same “character” issues we often deride here).

Eberle went out the door not because of a poor shooting % year but because he bailed on one puck-battle in the playoffs. There were other moments but that one seared into management’s memory. It is not fair. I love Eberle’s game and have stated before that his first goal against Calgary is permanently locked into my brain as one of the greatest Oiler goals of all time – but with all the crap that everyone associated with this team takes for their mistakes (of which there are many) you have to step up and take that hit. Period. That eye test was a career-defining moment for Eberle and it sucked that he fell short because in so doing, he said he was not a core piece on this team. If there is a positive, it meant that Nuge stays – if that was the choice, I’d prefer Nuge.

So here we are. Cap-strapped (though I actually think we will be closer to $82M than $80M once the NHLPA uses it’s escalator) and missing key elements throughout the line-up. If the big pieces are no longer in play, I am a lot more comfortable with Chia. Getting value for Davidson, the Kassian and Maroon trades all indicated that he can leverage marginal wins out of his colleagues – just don’t let him touch any of the bigger pieces.

Now go Leafs go and raise that HRR.

10. Jethro Tull says:

godot10: What you describe above has NOT happened for any length of time over the last two years.

LIke I said, I want a stable spot with two competent vets, and let him play and coach him.That has NOT happened in two years.I’m fine with it being the 3rd line.

But all McLellan has done in two years is jerk the guy around.

You’ve framed it beautifully – you really can’t lose.

1) Todd runs JP with McDavid: i) JP nails it, in which case it’s “I told you so”.
    ii) JP struggles, in which case “Todd’s thrown him to the wolves, he’s
    only 19yo.

2) Todd runs JP with Drai: i) JP nails it, in which case it’s ” I told you so”.
    ii) JP struggles, in which case it’s “Why isn’t Todd running him with a
    veteran to develop?”

3) JP struggles in general, Todd limits minutes and plays him bottom 6 against worse players:
    “Todd’s holding him back and stifling his development.”

This is Yak all over again; “He’s playing shitty because he’s playing with shitty players, he needs to play with skill.” *plays with skill, does nothing, gets moved back down* “He was never given a chance!”

I think JP is coming along nicely, but after watching his games overseas, turning him into a 20g, two way, defensive power forward is a fucking waste of a 4OV pick, especially with the skill he has. That would be right up there with trading Hall in my books.

11. highgloveside says:

To try an bring some common sense to some decisions that people continually fly off the handle with.

Montoya for a 4th – Oilers needed a veteran backup asap, those are not commonly traded mid season though they are a dime a dozen in the summer. Nobody knows if Montoya was going to be put on waivers and get for free and PC really couldn’t wait a week to wait and see. A GM is always going to overpay when they all know you need to trade asap and even then, a 4th is not terrible, especially when you pick up Davidson and turn him into a 3rd, which more than makes up for that loss of pick.

Not using cap space – The Oilers did NOT have nearly as much cap space as people think. They through the number around of $8 mill, but that is before considering any bonus money and there was something wierd with the Sekera LTIR that couldn’t be calculated at the beginning of the season. LT explained this many times on his show. I believe the plan was to ensure there was enough cap space so they could make a coupe significant additions at the deadline such as Neal and Nash up front. They would have to have about $3 mill to make moves like that. To me, that is a smart thing to do as if this year went the same as last year, adding Nash and Neal could put them in a real conversation to win the cup. Also, with McDavids contract kicking in the following season, realistically that cap room addition could only be on a 1 year term, especially considering Maroon was becoming a UFA and possible Talbot extension could be discussed. By the time Draisaitl was signed to confirm their actual cap, there really wasn’t anyone out there on a 1 year deal. Jokinen was a suprising shock as most thought he was a great addition for $1 mill.

– finding a replacement for Sekera – it sound easy but is actually very difficult. With Nurse coming on, they could not add another LD, especially after Russel was signed (discussion for another time but even without signing him PC would then had to have added 2 dmen). That means the only realistic target would have been an RD, and one that was capable of stepping into top 4 action. A top 4 RD is, by far, the hardest player to add and then you throw in that you could only do it with a 1 year contract and that makes it almost impossible. There was no 1 4/5 RD that was signed for 1 year or traded with only 1 year remaining. I think Hainsey was a target but he got a 3 year deal, something the Oilers could not match.

The wrap up”

– Montoya – no big deal, it was time sensitive with minimal options and a trade was requird with Talbots injury.

– Cap space – 2 choices, us it in the summer and have minimal room for additions or leave some room to add the final pieces for a cup run. Based on the Oilers performance the previous year and how more than 50% of NHL insiders picked the Oilers to win the Pacific, I get saving the money for the trade deadline. If PC used the space and they had a good season and didn’t have the cap to add players at the deadline, every fan would say he was stupid for not saving cap space. damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

– Replacement for Sekera – Not 1 person would be able to name a player the Oilers could have added on only a 1 year contract that could adequately fill that hole. Thinking you could add someone else on a multi year deal is short sighted as you would have 8 NHL dmen signed for the upcoming season and that is a huge waste of cap space in the new McDavid cap era.

It is very easy to point out the things that coulda/shoulda been done but the realistic ability to actually implement those changes is a completely different senario. Nobody knows what PC wanted to do, we only know what he was able to actually do.

12. Jethro Tull says:

Mark Spector, the new voice of the Winnipeg Jets!

13. krakman says:

What a bunch of crap, it doesn’t matter what the obc are telling katz or that they hired coffey

Chiarelli is bad at being a gm !!

He’s proven this time and time again with terrible moves in both Edmonton and Boston. But people are grasping at anything to defend him for some reason.

Yes the obc and katz are a big problem but that doesn’t change the fact that chiarelli is not the man for the job.

And if he was forced into some of the terrible moves he made than show some spine and stand up for yourself you are the president and general manager of the team!

14. Pretendergast says:

Munny: What he actually said, and the complete context around those words is in Hudson’s posts above.

This is what makes Hudson’s posts so valuable.They are transcripts as opposed to a paraphrasing… which sometimes comes with bias.

15. Wayne Kenov says:

krakman:
    What a bunch of crap, it doesn’t matterwhat the obc are telling katz or that they hired coffey

Chiarelli is bad at being a gm !!

And ifhe wasforced into some of the terrible moves he made than show some spine and stand up for yourself you are the president and general manager of the team!

It’s not about defending Chia (at least not for me). I want the OBC gone first. If you let them shift the blame, they win, and Oilers lose.

16. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

highgloveside:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

It has never been reported or even assumed that Montoya was going to be put on waivers.Picking up Davidson on waivers and trading for a 3rd at the deadline more than makes up for that.

Price and Niemi coming back from injuries. They weren’t going to carry 3 goalies.

Bringing up Davidson is a red herring.

17. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

knighttown:
    Lots to be angry about but a minor quibble on the rhetoric around the Montoya trade “during a lost season”.It was looking damned dire at that point but it wasn’t completely lost (or at least the GM shouldn’t have been completely folding the tent.And LB was 100% done at that point…not able to even give us a remote chance at winning.

Upgrading the backup goalie at that point in time wasn’t a bad move.

– price too high? ya
    – trading for a guy that was almost certainly going to be on waiver stupid? ya
    – getting a below replacement player WITH another year a bad move? ya

The Oilers problem continues to be the number of swings it takes to fix a problem.

Need a #1 RHD?Sure, move Hall for Larsson.Shit, still need a RHD.

Need a goalie to challenge Cam?Move a #4 for Montoya.Shit still need a 1B goalie (or decent 2).

This is well put.

18. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Munny: They were Bettman .500 I believe on Dec 23.

The playoffs were certainly in reach at that point.

19. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Marc Spector rips the OBC a new one here: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-held-hostage-voices-past/

This is a very good piece.

20. geowal says:

While I agree it’s embarrassing that Nicholson is unaware of next years cap situation, people are making too much of it, and to me it merely speaks to his focus…burgers [finance]…and stuff. He is obviously not involved in hockey ops whatsoever, which is probably a good thing!!! He obviously hasn’t been given Chia’s projections for next year…maybe they do that later in the year. Guarantee Chia is well aware of where he sits among the little private hell he has created himself.

It just goes to show that Chia, in fact, has no oversight other than VP voices hollering to get moar goals!!!

Before I get accused of being some sort of apologist, I think an at least partial house cleaning would be a good thing. But I don’t get excited about a CEOs comments on ops. As a former employee of a 25000 employee corporation, they didn’t have the slightest idea of how the assets work, they’re big picture managers. The comments to worry about are Tmac and Chia, and that’s if you think they’re open enough to be useful. Out of the whole series, the players, esp Lucic, were the best interviews.

21. jake70 says:

“Eberle went out the door not because of a poor shooting % year but because he bailed on one puck-battle in the playoffs……you have to step up and take that hit. Period.”

I just can’t remember that play. Does anyone know of a video clip of this? I remember last spring trying to find that play….was it the Cory Perry play? I certainly remember that Patty O’Sullivan bailout on HNIC back a few years. 🙂

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Its funny, someone who’s opinion has weight on the matter (but doesn’t work for the Oilers in any capacity) texted me today saying (paraphrased) :

“The Nicholson presser is the OBC losing a power struggle”

Then Spec throws them all under the bus.

THE KING IS DEAD!!

LONG LIVE THE KING!!

23. Ribs says:

Paul Coffey, the villain. lol.

Boogeymen everywhere! Run! Hide! Firethemall!

24. Munny says:

Doug McLachlan,

One of your best posts ever. Very thoughtful and reasonable take.

Edit: And I’ll be cheering too for the Leafs to have the kind of playoffs that puts them in cap hell.

25. Munny says:

Pretendergast: my quote of the question was word for word :question and answer, please fact check.

I did and found your representation somewhat wanting. You obviously disagree, as is your right…

And mine.

26. Pretendergast says:

Munny,

How was the representation wanting? it was a quote

27. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Al Montoya was never going to be a solution to that, though. He is not a good goalie.

Probably right on Initgoes. I would’ve preferred better. I was merely pointing out though that the notion that the playoffs were never in reach after American Thanksgiving isn’t true.

28. geowal says:

Woodguy v2.0:

This is a very good piece.

Best I’ve seen from Spector in a very long time.

29. CaptainObvious says:

Woodguy v2.0:

This is a very good piece.

^ Quoted for Truth

30. Munny says:

Pretendergast:
    -‘We didn’t use our cap this year because we were thinking of the 1, 2, 3 year plan.’ -Bob

So Bob do you think your cap next year with Mcdavid’s contract is going to be difficult to navigate?

-‘yeah we haven’t really looked into it yet’

Can’t make this stuff up

Well, I believe there is an implication here on your end–and the quote was more explicitly condemned by others, and my comment was more directed to that group, which is the reason I made a general statement rather than mentioning names–that there is some failing here. I don’t see it within the context of the questions.

31. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0: “The Nicholson presser is the OBC losing a power struggle”
    Then Spec throws them all under the bus.

Sure seems to parse that way.

32. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0:

This is a very good piece.

Its a terrible piece to read as an Oilers fan.

3 years after winning the lottery, here we are.

In Spectors piece we have a GM who has “ruptured the roster with bad moves” and an OBC who”many of them don’t believe McLellan should be the Oilers head coach. Others would have him remain as a coach, but want to install at least one of their own to help him out.”

I wouldnt rule out the possibility that some of the OBC have used Chias failed moves as evidence that he should be removed and that has led to a power struggle.

We are THE laughing stock of an organization in the NHL.
    Fucking gong show.

33. OmJo says:

I don’t buy the OBC theory by Spector.

If the OBC had a say in building the Oilers, I really can’t see them agreeing to trade Hall and Eberle, especially Taylor Hall. I also doubt Fayne would have been stuck in the minors for the last two seasons. He was an OBC signing.

I feel like it’s Spector trying to justify Chiarelli sticking around to the fanbase. The OBC are the scapegoat (plot twist!) in this sense. It’s so easy to blame them.

The OBC wasn’t around when Chiarelli did the exact same thing he’s done here that he did in Boston. He doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt, IMO.

34. Pretendergast says:

Munny,

Fair, followed it up with the actual quote after, didn’t know which one you referenced. All good.

35. Scungilli Slushy says:

pboy:
    Spector with a pretty scathing piece on the OBC on Sportsnet.ca

Well that was a surprisingly lucid piece.

36. Munny says:

He stated that agents were telling him there was going to be some serious money struggles in the K going forward and that would result in an influx of talent to the NHL, especially at the goalkeeper position where there are starters in Russia better than backups here looking for jobs.

I don’t know how new or reliable this info is, but it gives me some hope for improvement at the position this summer. Also makes the Montoya move more curious (depending on what was known at the time).

37. Munny says:

Pretendergast:
    Munny,

*Glove tap* All good here too.

38. Scungilli Slushy says:

Pretendergast:
    Scott Cullen

Verified account

@tsnscottcullen
    Nicholson says that Chiarelli has a great relationship with other GMs and that allows him to make trades. I bet it does.

Lol

I’m sure he’s the first call on the very GMs list. He makes teams better. Well most.

39. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Munny: I almost never catch Bob’s show, living and working down here in the shadow of Cowtown, but I did today.

I don’t know how new or reliable this info is, but it gives me some hope for improvement at the position this summer.Also makes the Montoya move more curious (depending on what was known at the time).

Interesting. Thank you for sharing that.

40. Woodguy v2.0 says:

geowal: Best I’ve seen from Spector in a very long time.

Best since the Souray stuff for sure.

41. Woogie63 says:

Oiler hockey staff that game to the club from the market or reasonably promoted

Nicholson, Chiarelli, Scott, Green, Mclellan, Herbers, Schwartz

Oiler hockey staff that seems to have come via some connection

Gretzky, Lowe, MacTavish, Sutter, K. Gretzky, Howson, Woodcroft, Johnson, Coffey, Michael Chiarelli, Mitch Homberg

To my way of thinking that second list too long and has too many senior positions.

I hope this is an off ice issue they are looking at

42. OmJo says:

CaptainObvious: ^ Quoted for Truth

That wasn’t true though.

We scored 163 5v5 goals this season, and 166 in 16-17. Less, not more.

I’d also argue the team itself didn’t score more 5v5 goals this season. A handful of players did.

Puljujarvi* (+10) [0 EVG in 28 games in 16-17]
    McDavid (+9) [Unreal.]
    Khaira* (+9) [0 EVG in 10 games in 16-17]
    Nugent-Hopkins (+5) [2nd on team in EVG this season]
    Cagguila (+4) [McDavid boosted?]
    Benning (+3) [Underrated IMO]
    Russell (+3) [Benefited from injured Sekera and Klefbom]
    Slepyshev (+2) [Free Slepy!]
    Nurse (+1) [Finished top 40 in EVP for defencemen this season]

9 skaters. 6 of them forwards. 2 of those forwards didn’t do much in 16-17 so you could argue 4 forwards improved their EV scoring this season.

To not come off as biased, Lucic had a +2 and Drasaitl a +5 in EVP this season. So there was improvement overall for those two players as well.

But when we talk about even-strength scoring this season I think we need to keep in mind McDavid going supernova at even-strength is skewing the results.

43. "Steve Smith" says:

I much preferred the previous Captain Obvious to the new Captainobvious, for the record.

44. --hudson-- says:

Ah that explains his “non-traditional” goalie market comments. So Samsonov is on the way over. Grubauer is starting game 1 for the Caps so Holtby might be on the market.

Lowetide shared a tweet yesterday that Koskinen is coming over and “Patrick C” corroborated (also speculates Slepyshev is going back to the KHL which would be a shame).

Puljujarvi is 19 and scored well with McDavid and Draisaitl. He’s going to be an excellent player, hopefully on a skill line. There are some good signs here.

46. Munny says:

CaptainObvious,

I think you’ve made your stance clear. Is there a reason to keep spamming the thread?

47. CaptainObvious says:

jake70:

I just can’t remember that play.Does anyone know of a video clip of this?I remember last spring trying to find that play….was it the Cory Perry play?I certainly remember that Patty O’Sullivan bailout on HNIC back a few years.

Someone made a statement that Eberle was traded because of that one play. It became another non-sensical narrative that took off like wildfire. You can witness similar play(s) from Eberle in just about every game he ever played as an Oiler. He gave up the puck to avoid a hit.

CaptainObvious: Someone made a statement that Eberle was traded because of that one play. It became another non-sensical narrative that took off like wildfire.You can witness similar play(s) from Eberle in just about every game he ever played as an Oiler.He gave up the puck to avoid a hit.

I did. I believe it.

49. Munny says:

Lol, I know you’re usually a little more nuanced, but UB40 for tomorrow’s post?

50. CaptainObvious says:

Lowetide: I did. I believe it.

Or, alternatively….that he was that type of player day in and day out in the regular season but they wanted to wait and see if he could elevate his game in the playoffs, and that that one play that just became the straw that broke the camels back? Because that I would agree with.

Captain: Please post your thoughts. 25 ‘quoted for truth’ items aren’t really moving the conversation forward. Please and thanks.

52. Dustylegnd says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Please enlighten me about all the savvy moves Chia has made since taking over the Oilers…….I am waiting……anyone…anyone…anyone…….Is the right answer he drafted McDavid and inherited Draisaitle?

Oh and thanks for the constructive criticism about how my analogy was so aweful re GM’s vs Money Managers, I think we are all well aware that Buffet is a value investor and disciple of Benjamin Graham….he buys undervalued companies at great value with great growth potential and holds them for very long periods of time…..Chia trades very valuable assets for “other intangible pieces, like Rich Peverly” the opposite of value investing…his track record is very clear, he consistently bleeds value and over pays on contracts….feel free to correct me with facts and better analogies rather than condemning my thoughts, thanks

CaptainObvious: Just curious. I thought it was you and Ive always wondered… Did you mean he got traded because of that one play.

I think it’s a silly reason to trade a guy but do believe it was the reason.

54. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

I am of the opinion that media availabilities are a strange way to judge these managers. They’ll lead you down the wrong path.

I mean, one narrative is that McLellan, being from Saskatchewan, knows how to be humble in his mea culpa, while Harvard grad Chiarelli doesn’t? Or that Bob Nicholson said said he hasn’t looked at the cap situation in depth and that somehow means no one in the organization has?

These men should be judged on their record, which shows one awful year, one good year, and then a bad stumbling year this year. There’s enough there to criticize with all the trades and long-term contracts signed with NMCs without parsing through press availabilities.

Note my criticism of the Montoya situation — some of you may think that I am making a mountain out of a mole hill, and that is a valid way to look at it; however, there is also the saying “from small acorns grow giant oak trees…” and here is why I care about that move.

Your mileage may differ on whether the season was lost or not at that point. But the point was that if LB was not trusted by TMc (which it was clear he was not, even before he crapped the bed when Talbot got hurt, because TMc barely ever played him), then the veteran backup goalie slot should have been addressed last summer. A number of us mentioned this area as one for concern last summer–I was among them. I had concerns that Talbot would not be able to sustain his play from last year and there was no fallback option. Instead, shit hits the fan and THEN we go looking for insurance.

That is a failure of sorts.

Around these parts, you may recall that MacT signed Schultz to a silly high 1-year RFA deal at $3.7m or so, when Subban just before that had signed for 2 years for about $5m. Schultz’ deal was $1m too much. The team had cap space, though, and so most fans here said: who cares, we have the cap space.

The problem is if you miss on the little details, those acorns soon become oak trees. Schultz was traded because everyone knew he wasn’t worth a $4m qualifying offer. Had that been $2.7m, who knows? And a good coach might have deployed him correctly and they would have salvaged the right handed puck mover they are now so desperate to get.

The Oilers failed to address the backup goalie situation this summer. And so they lost games in the standings and then spent a 4th round pick, top 100, for a mediocre (at best) backup with extra term left. Especially when it is almost completely assured he would have been on waivers as soon as Niemi and Price were healthy–the Oilers spent a pick acquiring him, clearly because they saw the LB tire fire and wanted to address it, but they dealt from a position of weakness instead of from strength.

This is a habit of Chia’s. And it’s symptomatic of a bigger problem. It’s what led to the Reinhart deal and the Hall deal as well. Chia correctly identifies a need, but then he overpays to address it.

For me, the Montoya deal shows evidence he hasn’t really learned. Does it pale in comparison to the other deals above? Absolutely. But it shows a consistency of reactionary thinking that concerns me.

I don’t hate Chia or everything that he has done. I think his track suits are fine, too. But there are things he does that concern me greatly: bleed value to address need and poor cap management. These same things plagued him in Beantown, too.

But let’s judge these folks on their deeds, not their words.

55. CaptainObvious says:

Understood. Will do.

Thought it would take up less space then posting my own thoughts and then feeling obliged to respond to 45 angry responses. Which would also not move the conversation forward.

56. flyfish1168 says:

2 playoff soft calls against the Bruins. Makes one wonder

57. OmJo says:

I wouldn’t be studying if I wasn’t procrastinating. So here’s some meaningless stats.

# Players w/ 20+ goals (# Players w/15+ goals)
    Ducks: 3 (2) – Fuck these guys.
    Coyotes: 1 (3)
    Bruins: 3 (4) – the 3 have 35, 34 and 30 goals.
    Sabres: 4* (2) – Evander Kane is one of the 4
    fLames: 4 (2) – Fuck the fLames.
    Hurricanes: 3 (5) – Fuck them, too.
    Blackhawks: 5 (1) – DeBrincat 😛
    Avalanche: 3 (4)
    BlueJackets: 3 (4)
    Stars: 3 (2) – Seguin. Also, Pitlick with 14 😛
    RedWings: 2 (4)
    Oilers: 3 (0) – *cough* Fire Chiarelli *cough*
    Panthers: 4 (2)
    Kings: 3 (2)
    Wild: 3 (2)
    Canadiens: 2 (2) – They play Drouin as 1C. Lol.
    Predators: 4 (3)
    Devils: 3 (1) – Fire Chiarelli 🙂
    Islanders: 5 (2) – Fire Chiarelli 🙂
    Rangers: 3 (4)
    Senators: 4 (1) – Owner is sabotaging the team
    Flyers: 5 (1)
    Penguins: 5 (1) – McDavid > Crosby
    Sharks: 4 (2)
    Blues: 3 (3)
    Lightning: 6 (2) – Whew.
    MapleLeafs: 6 (1) – *spits*
    Canucks: 3 (1)
    GoldenKnights: 5 (2) – It wasn’t supposed to be this way.
    Capitals: 3 (4)
    Jets: 5 (2) – Wheeler 😛

CaptainObvious: Understood. Will do.

Thought it wouldtake up less space then posting my own thoughts and then feeling obliged to respond to 45 angry responses. Which would also not move the conversation forward.

59. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Well-argued, NYC.

The stance of Spec’s article, or my takeaway, isn’t that there haven’t been blameworthy deeds, but rather where should the blame lie? I can see Chia getting some rope from Nicholson for eg if the Reinhart trade was an OBC move. Muddy Waters.

Edit: We look at media avails with the same leery eye.

60. OmJo says:

Do you think he can become that player here with the current coaching staff?

One thing I’m worried about with keeping both Chiarelli and McLellan next season is they will both be in desperation mode and that could potentially lead to emphasizing winning over everything else ie player development. So JP could get traded or see significant bottom 6 time next season.

61. CaptainObvious says:

Lowetide: No worries. Multiple posts in a row tends to hijack the thread. Everyone’s opinion matters, so a more leisurely pace usually does the trick.

Thank you….sincerely….for your reasonableness. Sound advice.

My reposts were over-kill for sure.

62. --hudson-- says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Remember when they said the objective was to get LB playing in the minors? Then they played LB a whole bunch, dealt Pasquale. Now watch them let LB walk.

The right hand doesn’t talk to the left it seems.

63. OmJo says:

If Vasilevsky can play like how he is on the PK for 16 games the Lightning are going to win the cup.

64. Jethro Tull says:

“Steve Smith”:

Yay, Captain Previous!

65. OmJo says:

Atta boy Hall.

66. Scungilli Slushy says:

But I have a huge problem losing trades.

67. CaptainObvious says:

Lowetide: I watched the Bruins under Chiarelli and that’s the kind of play that gets you sent down. Oilers were looking to save cap, it was a costly play. Eberle made many similar plays but none that had that kind of impact (mostly because he wasn’t in playoff games).

I think it’s a silly reason to trade a guy but do believe it was the reason.

Interesting how different perceptions lead to different conclusions.

Because I agree with you. One play should not get a player fired/traded.

My mind therefore tells me…theres no way that that one play got Eberle tradeded

The order is 1) benched 2) press box for a game 3) sent down 4) traded or some such thing.

So again my mind surmises Eberle was already on the GMs “potential trade list” and several things combined….as you say 1) Cap Problem 2) Eberle at $6million 3) Eberle not a Chiarelli type 4) Eberle has bad playoffs cant elevate his game either physically or scoring 5) Eberle shows no leadership in playoffs 6 ) Eberle makes a play that sticks in GMs craw and in his mind…..

Something like that….a confluence of factors…..

Not arguing with you…just a different perspective….which is cool.

68. tileguy says:

Nobody wants to tackle the statement that trades go through the vice chair, Kevin and Wayne? Sounds like OBC interference to me.
    NICHOLSON: I have all of my input with Peter Chiarelli, as we have other people in that situation, and we have two vice chairs, Wayne and Kevin, and there’s lots of things out there. It’s Peters call, he will use those assets as needed.

69. flyfish1168 says:

Taylor Hall gets his 1st PO goal

70. OmJo says:

tileguy:

Source of statement? Because that’d be pretty damning evidence of OBC collusion.

71. CaptainObvious says:

Scungilli Slushy: I have no problem trading skill, and I wasn’t an Eberle fan because he picked his spots despite his scoring.

But I have a huge problem losing trades.

I do to. I think we broke even on that trade

1) Eberle was not part of the future in the new scheme of things
    2) $3.5 Million Cap Savings
    3) Targeted above average 3rd line center

Having Strome at 3C helps JP and others and allows us to play Khaira and Nuge on wing. (assuming we bring in a solid 4C like Derek Ryan who can score some and win faceoffs).

Just my opinion

72. "Steve Smith" says:

I find myself in the strange position of cheering for the Bruins and the Devils, two teams that I do not historically care for at all.

73. --hudson-- says:

flyfish1168:
    Taylor Hall gets his 1st PO goal

Video: https://streamable.com/ogxx3

74. CaptainObvious says:

tileguy:

I heard Chia has complete autonomy in decision making. Every GM has resources he can access if he so chooses.

75. leadfarmer says:

Still can’t believe people thought the Devils were going to be basement dwellers this season. I guess too many people still staring at slow corsi.

So far my 1st round bracket of
    Peg, Vgk, Nsh, Ducks, Caps, pens, Boston TB
    Is looking pretty good

76. OmJo says:

leadfarmer:
    Still can’t believe people thought the Devils were going to be basement dwellers this season.I guess too many people still staring at slow corsi.

So far my 1st round bracket of
    Peg, Vgk, Nsh, Ducks, Caps, pens, Boston TB
    Is looking pretty good

Without Hall going supernova they are a bottom dweller.

77. tileguy says:

OmJo,

78. Munny says:

“Steve Smith”,

Would it make you feel better to cheer for Leaf cap problems and more HRR?

I’m okay with them winning a round. Maybe even two.

OmJo: Idk if this was in reference to my post (only Doug McLachlan and myself mentioned him – and I can see how my post could be interpreted as negative towards him) but mentioning his lack of 16-17 scoring wasn’t intended to dismiss his season – or Khaira’s for that matter. Had JP been given more time in the top 6 rather than bottom 6 I’m sure that goal differential would have been higher.

Do you think he can become that player here with the current coaching staff?

80. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: Its a terrible piece to read as an Oilers fan.

3 years after winning the lottery, here we are.

In Spectors piece we have a GM who has“ruptured the roster with bad moves” and an OBC who”many of them don’t believe McLellan should be the Oilers head coach. Others would have him remain as a coach, but want to install at least one of their own to help him out.”

We are THE laughing stock of an organization in the NHL.
    Fucking gong show.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Edmonton Oilers!!!!

81. Réal Goudenyéu says:

OmJo:

That’s why the game is called goalie!

tileguy:

One thing I’ve learned over the years: We don’t know what we don’t know.

83. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Our host posted an interesting tweet in this piece: https://lowetide.ca/2018/04/11/bruised-orange/

“Steve Smith”:

You’re coming around.

85. tileguy says:

Loved this reply fron Kinger_Oil_Redux
    “and TileGuy: I heard that two: Kevin and Wayne (not employable in Hockey as executives elsewhere), feed info to guy who has never been a NHL executive. Poor Chia, having to navigate those two buffons, who then distill it to a guy whose never done it before.”

86. Woodguy v2.0 says:

“Steve Smith”:

and who are you exactly?

87. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Munny: Lol, I know you’re usually a little more nuanced, but UB40 for tomorrow’s post?

That would be awesome.

88. N64 says:

Woodguy v2.0: and who are you exactly?

we know “exactly” who he is.

89. OmJo says:

tileguy:
    OmJo,

NICHOLSON: It’s led by Peter Chiarelli.
    Q: Okay and what about your input in?

That wasn’t said in the context of trades.

This was:

Q: Bob, Peter Chiarelli has made some moves that maybe the return hasn’t been as good as hoped I guess. My question is, does he still have total autonomy in making those moves, or does he have to go through you now, or is it a process?
    NICHOLSON: Yeah you know and all of that… you know, so Peter leads the hockey operation side, we talk on that all the time, and I do the majority of the communication to ownership. But Peters Chiarelli, we have other people around us that give us, give him input, but it’s Peter Chiarelli’s job to do that.

(Also, thank you Hudson for sharing transcripts with us!)

90. Woodguy v2.0 says:

N64: we know “exactly” who he is.

I don’t think he’s actually “Steve Smith”

91. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy v2.0: I don’t think he’s actually “Steve Smith”

Sure, but who is?

92. N64 says:

Woodguy v2.0: I don’t think he’s actually “Steve Smith”

Even Steve Smith isn’t actually “Steve Smith”

(Although “Steve Smith” could actually be Steve Smith)

93. OmJo says:

N64: Even Steve Smith isn’t actually “Steve Smith”

What’s even real anymore?

94. Harpers Hair says:

–hudson–:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Remember when they said the objective was to get LB playing in the minors?Then they played LB a whole bunch, dealt Pasquale.Now watch them let LB walk.

The right hand doesn’t talk to the left it seems.

There are only left hands…and an awful lot of them

95. N64 says:

OmJo: What’s even real anymore?

What’s even fake anymore?

96. leadfarmer says:

OmJo: Without Hall going supernova they are a bottom dweller.

Yes but he still counts. Without Mcdavid what are we. What are the Avs without McKinnon. What are blue jackets without Bob who had godlike 30 GSAA on 5v5 this year

97. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: I think it’s on everyone. This kid is your kid. He’s a big farm boy and maybe he doesn’t mesh but if you’re going to win anything worthwhile the skills available need to be used. I expect one of 97 or 29 to come back in the fall with a renewed effort to make it work.

I like to see us go on a long run of years in the playoffs with a few Stanleys sprinkled along the way. I don’t want a one or two years in and then out again.

98. OmJo says:

leadfarmer: Yes but he still counts.Without Mcdavid what are we.What are the Avs without McKinnon.What are blue jackets without Bob who had godlike 30 GSAA on 5v5 this year

99. CaptainObvious says:

Lowetide: One thing I’ve learned over the years: We don’t know what we don’t know.

100. OmJo says:

N64: What’s even fake anymore?

You can’t spell ‘really fake’ without r-e-a-l.

101. OmJo says:

CaptainObvious: Thats why we have wives and kids…. to remind us (daily) of all the things WE DONT KNOW.

Is this why I think I know everything?

102. N64 says:

OmJo: You can’t spell ‘really fake’ without r-e-a-l.

There is no I in fake.

103. JimmyV1965 says:

I love this website and the comments here, but I think we have lost our collective minds interpreting these press conferences. Does anyone truly believe the team doesn’t know what their cap hit is to the penny? A Grade 8 kid managing his fantasy team would know his cap. It doesn’t matter what was said in the presser, or how you interpret the words said in the presser, this team knows exactly where they are in terms of the cap. To think they don’t is irrational.

104. flyfish1168 says:

OmJo: Q: Bob, just up front here. So this evaluation period then, it’s just all Peter, or are you involved in part of this too?
    NICHOLSON: It’s led by Peter Chiarelli.
    Q: Okay and what about your input in?

That wasn’t said in the context of trades.

This was:

(Also, thank you Hudson for sharing transcripts with us!)

No one questioned Bob about Peters handling of the CAP or NMC contracts. Very unfortunate. Not sure how he will manoeuvre around players wanting to be paid

105. flyfish1168 says:

–hudson–: Video: https://streamable.com/ogxx3

Thanks. HAve a soft spot for Hall.

106. leadfarmer says:

OmJo: Not disagreeing, I’m just saying that’s why most people thought the Devils would be a bottom dweller. Not many people (did anybody?) saw Hall scoring 93pts this season.

Well not many people saw scoring was going up. Not many people saw how the game was transitioning to speed unfortunately. Even at the start of this year I had some push back on speed is the new size that you need some of each. Good thing we have Lucics size to go with Mcdavids speed

107. N64 says:

JimmyV1965:
    I love this website and the comments here, but I think we have lost our collective minds interpreting these press conferences. Does anyone truly believe the team doesn’t know what their cap hit is to the penny? A Grade 8 kid managing his fantasy team would know his cap. It doesn’t matter what was said in the presser, or how you interpret the words said in the presser, this team knows exactly where they are in terms of the cap.To think they don’t is irrational.

108. OmJo says:

leadfarmer: Not many people saw how the game was transitioning to speed unfortunately. Even at the start of this year I had some push back on speed is the new size that you need some of each.

109. CaptainObvious says:

JimmyV1965:

In a squeaky Jim Mora voice….What’s that? Ah — Rational? Don’t talk about — Rational? You kidding me? Rational?

“Steve Smith”: Sure, but who is?

Charlie Huddy.

111. OmJo says:

N64: Righteous gotcha is so much fun. That could have been shorthand for we don’t have our exact summer spending plan laid down. But of course it means they have no plan at all for managing the cap. The Razor is only as good as its operator.

N64: There is no I in fake.

We’re all entitled to our opinions.

112. OmJo says:

Lowetide: Charlie Huddy.

Mind. Blown.

113. flyfish1168 says:

Taylor is making a statement in his 1st PO game

114. OmJo says:

Zajac from Hall on the PP.

The Bolts fans boo A LOT.

115. leadfarmer says:

For The Athletic: Draft 2018: They’re trading the pick

We all knew it. We’re going on a whale hunt because well why not. What is the whitest whale JP our first and Klef can buy?

116. CaptainObvious says:

5 – 1 Bruins over Lafs…Could be 8-1……… Call up Marincin?

The super fast, super talented, balanced Team

Led by that Superstar Coach?

How can this be? FIRETHEMALL

117. flyfish1168 says:

For The Athletic: Draft 2018: They’re trading the pick

118. OmJo says:

flyfish1168:
    Taylor is making a statement in his 1st PO game

*cough* First ever back-to-back Memorial Cup MVP ages ago *cough*

119. OmJo says:

CaptainObvious:
    5 – 1 Bruins over Lafs Call up Marincin?

The super fast, super talented, balanced Team

Led by that Superstar Coach?

How can this be? FIRETHEMALL

120. OmJo says:

If Kunitz wins 5 cups in his career is that HHOF worthy?

121. Bag of Pucks says:

Teams wearing black and yellow are doing well in the playoffs this year. Maybe we just need to change the unis?

122. CaptainObvious says:

OmJo: Losing the first game of a playoff series is not equivalent to not making the playoffs at all.

So youre saying dont over-react.

123. OmJo says:

Blatant missed call on the Devils for tripping a Lightning player. Lol.

124. Munny says:

I think it behooves the GM to make it known he’s open to trading the pick but loathe to trade it. I mean, what else are you going to say? It’s in the presser handbook right after the Bull Durham cliché chapter.

125. OmJo says:

CaptainObvious: So youre saying dont over-react.

No, I’m saying they aren’t comparable situations.

Nobody wants Chiarelli and McLellan fired for losing a playoff game. They want them fired for real reasons. Giving away talent and putting us in cap hell after one playoff run. Mishandling the talent not traded and having disgraceful special teams.

126. CaptainObvious says:

OmJo:
    Blatant missed call on the Devils for tripping a Lightning player. Lol.

127. OriginalPouzar says:

flyfish1168: Are this year’s players being drafted exempted from the expansion draft? If it is, there that is added value to the picks.

If expansion goes as planned, after the 2019/20 season then, yes, any player draft this year would be exempt.

Even if expansion is delayed a year, chances are our pick would be exempt unless he turns pro this year (if he goes back to the CHL, college, Sweden, etc., his “2 years pro” clock won’t start).

128. OmJo says:

CaptainObvious: There were a few games last night that made the Oilers/Anaheim playoff games look over-officiated.

I’m just waiting for a repeat of 2004 SCF but in Game 7.

129. CaptainObvious says:

OmJo: No, I’m saying they aren’t comparable situations.

OmJo: You can’t spell ‘really fake’ without r-e-a-l.

Im quoting you to you…..dont you love when that happens.

Im kidding.

OmJo: Well that’s pretty indefensible on their behalf. I think McDavid’s arrival marked the new speed era of the league because if you don’t get faster he’s leaving you further in his dust than he normally would.

Actually, Mike Sullivan been hired to coach Pittsburgh may be the seminal moment. But maybe one should give the credit to Ray Shero, since all those cheap speedy guys in Wilkes-Barre, being coached by Hynes, were acquired on his/their watch( for Rutherford and Sullivan), and he/they quickly repeated this once he got to New Jersey. Shero’s mistake in PIttsburgh was apparently not firing Bylsma.

Tortorella and Sulllivan while they were together in New York clearly must have been watching this because when they got to Columbus and Pittsburgh they knew exactly what to do.

Maybe Tortorella and Sullivan discussing/observing this in the Ranger days together.

OmJo:
    If Kunitz wins 5 cups in his career is that HHOF worthy?

Kevin Lowe has six cups and isn’t in the HHOF which is why his number is not yet in the rafters at Rogers.

132. CaptainObvious says:

Munny:
    I think it behooves the GM to make it known he’s open to trading the pick but loathe to trade it.I mean, what else are you going to say?It’s in the presser handbook right after the Bull Durham cliché chapter.

BINGO. Rational.

133. OmJo says:

CaptainObvious: OmJo: You can’t spell ‘really fake’ without r-e-a-l.

Im quoting you to you…..dont you love when that happens.

Im kidding.

Lol you got me there 😛

134. Melvis says:

Aside from a gazillion comments on the Oilers. Did anybody pay attention to the Vegas/LA game last night.?

The Vegas system through all four lines, absolutely no fucking around, really is a thing of beauty. And extremely hard to handle. Doughty can chirp all he wants, those guys aren’t going to roll over and die.

And it begs the question. Are we not capable?

135. N64 says:

Melvis:

The Vegas system through all four lines, absolutely no fucking around,really is a thing of beauty. And extremely hard to handle. Doughty can chirp all he wants, those guys aren’t going to roll over and die.

And it begs the question. Are we not capable?

Who’d have thought you could so much with 4 second lines and 3 second pairs? Well apparently Seattle because they’ll pay an extra $150M for the same chance at balance and depth and teamwork.

136. Psyche says:

Found this article and wanted to share with everyone:

Oilers prospects turning heads during Swedish playoffs

137. Munny says:

BJs tie it up.

138. CaptainObvious says:

Melvis:

And it begs the question. Are we not capable?

We were 2-2 against LA and 3-1 and Vegas this year. So there is hope?

139. hunter1909 says:

Psyche:
    Found this article and wanted to share with everyone:

Oilers prospects turning heads during Swedish playoffs

Don’t worry. Oilers know how to take care of foreign prospects. Jani Rita says hi, to the same OBC as ever, and ever, and ever…

140. --hudson-- says:

JimmyV1965:

One other detail is they don’t know the 2018-19 salary cap, they don’t know how much room they have. No fault in them for that. Now if he gives the same answer in late June, that will be a problem.

141. leadfarmer says:

One thing the league could do right is throwing the book at Kadri

142. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Melvis:

And it begs the question. Are we not capable?

Pretty sure Pete mentioned player distraction and non buy in

143. Melvis says:

CaptainObvious,

Hopefully, there’s hope. It’s a drug. It should be illegal. Against the Sabres, anyway.

144. Munny says:

And the BJs get the win in OT. Gord I love Panarin.

145. Woodguy v2.0 says:

“Steve Smith”: Sure, but who is?

A question for the ages.

146. CaptainObvious says:

Psyche:
    Found this article and wanted to share with everyone:

Oilers prospects turning heads during Swedish playoffs

Excellent article. Thank You.

147. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Munny:
    And the BJs get the win in OT. Gord I love Panarin.

#CBJALLTHEWAY

148. N64 says:

OmJo: With the amount of times Nicholson said the word ‘plan’ he better know the damn plan by now. Anyway, he admitted the team is going to be a cap team next season.

We’re all entitled to our opinions.

Well there are 2 “i”s in opinion and in onion and onions make both my “i”s cry.

The important thing was that I had an opinion tied to my belt which was the style at the time.

149. Melvis says:

History doesn’t repeat itself so much as it reflects itself through a series of funhouse mirrors. Old days State Fair or Edmonton Klondike Days, when the whole kit and caboodle rolled in on a train. And the 2 dollar burger (fried onions an’ all) really did taste like a Wendy’s predecessor.

This suggests the chances of gaining anything of value from an OIlers presser, also suggests a seeing eye view of one mirrored as fat Melviis, skinny Melvis, wavy Melvis, or Melvis in extremis. The latter, extremely likely next year.

150. CaptainObvious says:

Watching recorded NJ TAMPA

Playing a no hitter tonight.

Looks like an up tempo regular season game.

One of these teams is getting to round two healthy.

151. Munny says:

Jesus Rantanen somehow stopped.

152. JimmyV1965 says:

I’ve learned two things from these press conferences. 1) Chia is not being fired. 2) Some coach will be fired. Who it is I do not know.

153. Munny says:

Rinne is keeping the Preds in the game.

154. hunter1909 says:

Re Death March™

Seriously, I honestly thought it was the end of the thing until this season unfolded.

At any rate the project was looking to be an abject failure…

Until today when suddenly Death March™ became, like G.W.Bush’s 30 year war announcement literally hours after 9/11 happened a “going concern”…

Therefore: Here is one new change coming to the website:

A comments section that will be entirely unmoderated, aside from spam posts.

PS: How about cash prizes to the previous Death March™ winners? That’s a new issue, because now there must be 3-4 seasons to make good on.

We’re running a good clean operation lol

155. Munny says:

Then NAS puts together a couple of good shifts and score on a bit of a lucky one.

156. hunter1909 says:

If I were Gary Bettman…

Nashville offers the ultimate SC new winners experience.

157. Munny says:

On a night with plenty of fodder for the highlight reels, Forsberg’s score there might take the title of best goal.

158. Ribs says:

Let’s say you are Peter Chiarelli and after the Capitals flame out of the first round of the playoffs, ex-Calgary Flame Brian MacLellan gives you a ring and asks you what you’d give him for Alex Ovechkin. What would be a reasonable response?

159. HT Joe says:

Ribs:

Wait wait… in this hypothetical situation, do I play the role of Chia, or do I provide a reasonable response!? 🙂

For a serious response, we just don’t have any bullets left to trade.
    – This is for a 32 year old Ovechkin, but still the best goal scorer in the league. Having him play with either McDavid or Draisatl would be magic.
    – For the Oilers to take on a $9.5M hit, we would have to move big contracts to Washington. We would never trade 8 years of McDavid or 7 years of Draisatl for Ovechkin (since we may not even be truly competitive for the cup in the next couple of years), and losing centre depth to bring in Ovechkin would hurt the team further.
    – To balance the cap hit, Washington isn’t going to take Lucic back.
    – Could you build something around Nuge (3 years remaining on contract)? Still need to move out more salary, but would also need to sweeten it (despite RNH’s run with McDavid, nobody trades RNH for Ovechkin one-for-one, each with 3 years left on contract).

I don’t know… I don’t think you can cobble the trade around unwanted contracts and draft picks, so the only other way to make the trade work would be to hurt centre depth.

MAYBE RNH + Nurse +picks for Ovechkin? I don’t think Washington would want Klefbom instead, but that could work out for the Oilers in case Nurse demands $$$. That’s a tough question.

160. Ribs says:

HT Joe: *EDIT* I meant it when I said losing centre depth would hurt the team. But nixing a trade of McD/Drai, I don’t see any other player to build the trade foundation around other than RNH (and a big big plus in Nurse). If we had Hall / Eberle / Barzal / etc. depth, there would be different options obviously.

So a Drai for Ovi trade would be a full on no-go, then? Keeping in mind that Nuge will still be sticking around? Let’s say you wrangle a first, a second, and a decent prospect in the deal.

The depth takes a huge hit but McDavid/Ovi would be something else.

I’m not saying I would do the deal, but damn. You’d really have to look at all of the options if something like that came across the table.

161. kgo says:

LT, I offer a brief commentary / rebuttal /devil’s advocate to your talking points:

-Chia’s success in 16-17 should allow him to deflect some accountability, on the other hand, when specifically pressed about filling the gap left by Sekera’s injury, he said “If I had a do-over I may have done things differently”

-His defense of Lucic, as you state, was expected…but he wasn’t wrong when he said Lucic was skating better, to my eye he was….too bad every other aspect of his game went off the rails…caused largely by psychological issues if you ask me, and not surprising given his personal circumstances.

-Your pace vs. speed point…Letestu, Maroon and maybe Davidson, players who albeit their value, lacked the ability to quickly reach loose pucks, they were jettisoned…I believe Chia agrees with you on this point.

-A Harvard education holds little value in this arena (figuratively and literally) I’m sure Chia is on a short leash, Chia will be fired by the Christmas if the team isn’t within sniffing distance of a playoff berth.

I’m signing off for the Summer, Thanks LT for all your hard work…I’d like to say words cannot express your value to our community but I guess the hundreds of thousands of comments do just that!

Cheers

162. GMB3 says:

JimmyV1965:
    I get it why people want Chia gone. I get it why people didn’t like his presser. What I don’t get is the notion he should be fired based on his presser.Who cares about his performance in a presser? It means absolutely zero. It’s noise. It sheds light on nothing

Just fuel on the fire.

163. russ99 says:

If the Nicholson/Chia faction won out over the Lowe/Gretzky/MacTavish one, this is only good news for us. Even though some pissed off fans have to take it that Chia is staying. But maybe that’s good too, the level of rage and angst needs to ratchet down, it’s not healthy.

I wonder if Wayne took a good look at the org and the media/fan storm of angry hornets and decided, no thanks.

164. OmJo says:

GMB3: Did anyone say he should be fired based on his presser? The man’s record is why people want himfired. I get it he was a cup winning GM at one point but if Dwayne Roloson was healthy Kevin Lowe would be too.

Just fuel on the fire.

*Raises hand*

The presser reinforced my belief he should be fired.

Strike 1: Being happy with Lucic’s skating this season
    Strike 2: Being happy with scoring from the forwards
    Strike 3: Not taking accountability for the team he built

165. OriginalPouzar says:

No matter what Chiarelli said the other day, he was going to get blasted by the fanbase and blogging community. Everything was (and has been) spun in order to continue a negative connotation towards the current state of the organization. Lets look at some of the things he did say:

1) the coaching staff is under evaluation – there is no guarantee that they will be brought back and it seems highly likely there will be changes. Although its looking like McLellan is likely to return, there is a likely change in the assistants which is something the fans have been clamoring for.

2) Nuge is part of the core and will not be traded – exactly what the fanbase wants

3) He will not dismantle the core of the team but is expecting to make the playoffs next year – he isn’t talking like Dorion about it being a few years until the playoffs are reasonable and will make changes to improve for next year but he isn’t going to be dismantling core pieces to do so.

4) The first round pick is in play – although I’m more hesitant on this than most, this seems to be what many want

5) He will look to improve the back-up goaltending to help Talbot – something the fans have been clamoring for

6) He will look to improve the top 4 of the defence and, in a perfect world will have a good leftie/rightie balance – something the fans have been clamoring for.

Sure, he said some weird things like “he liked Lucic’s skating” and people are hanging on to those innocuous quotes and ignoring the part where he said how disappointing Lucic’s season was and how he has to be better.

Who cares about what he said about Lucic’s skating? I care about what his plan is going forward and, when speaking about what he wants to do going forward, it jives with what most people want.

More importantly, by looking for things to bash with, it seems many/most are ignoring the substantive things he did say which generally line up with what most people want, as laid out above.

He acknowledged mistakes (i.e. not doing more to plug the Sekera hole and relying on young non-established forwards to take steps forward) and said he himself is subject to evaluation and he realized he needs to be better.

He did put the blame squarely on the players for the most part but, given he is the one that put the players together, isn’t that essentially blaming himself, indirectly?

I’m not trying to defend Chiarelli – I would have actually like to have seen a change (I don’t think he will be (or has the rope to be) patient enough to make smart moves over a couple of years) but I think people are taking quotes from his presser to spin negatively without actually listening to the substance of the way forward.

166. deardylan says:

The title “Blame it On The Cain” made me think of this Springsteen song not Millivanilli

My favorite part of this song is just the entire song.

Bruce Springsteen – Adam Raised the Cain (April 28, 2018)

Abridged Lyrics:

Peter you are born into this GM job paying,
    for the sins of somebody else’s past

Katz you work your whole life, for nothing but the lottery,
    Now you walks these empty rooms, looking for another coach to blame

Weight you inherited the Barzal, You inherit the flames draft pick,
    Isles drafted Calgary’s Cain
    Isles drafted Calgary’s Cain

Oilers raised the Adam card
    Adam came after a Cain
    Adam came after a Cain

Who is the Calgary Cain on April 28th?
    Who is the Oilers Adam?

167. N64 says:

russ99: If the Lowe/Nicholson/Chia faction won out over the Gretzky/MacTavish one,

FTFY