Train in Vain

I have avoided talking about Edmonton acquiring a ‘name’ puck mover because it runs counter to the roster pieces that might be available, runs counter to the cap reality, and is the hockey equivalent of throwing 50 yards down field into triple coverage.

That said, it’s the elephant in the room and today, on a day when Mom’s the world over are asking ‘did you do your homework?’ it’s time for us to do the due diligence on Peter Chiarelli’s showcase trade of summer 2018.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great playoff special! Try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. Offer is here.

• Lowetide: Oilers scouting directors: A history.
  • Jonathan Willis: Matt Benning brings value to the Oilers.
  • Lowetide: Even in a trying season, Adam Larsson delivered solid defense.
  • Jonathan Willis: Edmonton can’t afford to enter ’18-19 with Kris Russell as top 4D.
  • Ian Tulloch: The search for a right defence upgrade (Leafs, but fits Oil)
  • Scott Wheeler: Final Draft Rankings 2018.
  • Lowetide: Oilers summer to-do list short and sweet.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and Russia: A draft tragedy.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the Republic of Finland
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and Sweden.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the QMJHL.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018Oilers and the WHL.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: Oilers draft history and the OHL
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the NCAA.

PUCK MOVERS: A LIST

Defensemen are listed by 5×4 scoring, I’ve also included the money and cap situation.

1. Tyson Barrie, Colorado 6.43. He has two more years left ($5.5 million) and would be a terrific fit for the Oilers. Please understand I’m not in favor of bringing in a puck mover, but Barrie crosses off all of the boxes. His 5×5 play is a different matter.
  2. John Carlson, free agent 5.78. Carlson’s last contract ($3.967 million times six years) expired and now, at age 28, he is UFA. Does he get $7 million times seven? Oilers can’t afford to be in the conversation unless they can move a big contract.
  3. P.K. Subban, Nashville, 5.74. His contract ($9 million times four) is impossible but he’s a perfect fit for Edmonton. You’d have to include Leon Draisaitl or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in the deal, no idea what it looks like from there.
  4. Torey Krug, Boston, 5.19. His cap hit ($5.25 million for two more years) is manageable for Edmonton, and the idea of Edmonton and Boston making a deal has come up in interesting places. Quoting Fluto Shinzawa: “Edmonton has 24-year-old Oscar Klefbom (6-foot-3, 215 pounds) and 23-year-old Darnell Nurse (6-foot-4, 221 pounds) on the left side. A one-for-one deal is unlikely for either, given the Edmonton defenders’ age and promise. Sweeney would have to package Krug with additional assets.
  5. Justin Faulk, Carolina 5.10. He has two years left ($4.83 million) and people are so down on him Faulk might be underrated at this point. Depends on the price, I would aim higher.
  6. Jared Spurgeon, Minnesota 4.57. He has two years left ($5.1875 million) and I’ve always liked him. He’s 28 and perhaps the Wild are looking for a change. Not certain what the ask might be at this point, new general manager on the way.
  7. OEL, Arizona 3.88. He has one year left at $5.5 million and several media folks (Pierre Lebrun, Jim Matheson) have mentioned Edmonton’s interest should the Coyotes shop him. A lot of what we talk about in regard to a puck mover acquisition doesn’t make sense but this trade could happen if the Oilers can get him signed long term.
  8. Erik Karlsson, Ottawa 3.53. $6.5 million UFA summer 2019. He has a 10-team no trade list and Edmonton is probably out of the Karlsson sweepstakes. It’s a lovely dream.
  9. Ryan Ellis, Nashville 3.50. $2.5 million UFA summer 2019. Ellis played in just 44 games (knee injury), a brilliant player when in the lineup. He would be near the top of my list if healthy, no obvious trade match with the Predators.
  10. Shea Weber, Montreal 2.01. Spent a lot of the season injured (missed 49 games with a foot injury) and his contract is still a monster ($7.857M until everybody dies). I can’t see a way and I don’t see a reason. Does Peter Chiarelli?

I would love to see Ryan Ellis in an Oilers uniform but don’t believe it’s realistic. Tyson Barrie is probably the most realistic option, there have been rumors about his availability in the past. What would it cost? A lot, and part of the package would be a good young player from the McDavid cluster. This is a thread the needle play fraught with danger. Should have given Yohann Auvitu a bigger chance at the 5×4.

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY

When I was 10 or 11, we moved from British Columbia to Maidstone, Saskatchewan. We moved in the middle of winter and it was a traumatic experience for me. Soon after we arrived in town, my Mom bought me a little transistor radio (it was called an “Anik” after the Canadian satellite).

God works in mysterious ways, and a lonely kid in the middle of Saskatchewan discovered, on that Anik radio, in the middle of winter, radio waves bounced all the way from 14 CFUN Vancouver to our little house on the prairie—after 10pm every night. I spent every night for years listening to Tom Lucas and Raccoon Carney and Brother Benson on CFUN, connecting to the part of my world left behind. It’s probably a big reason I got into radio.

There was one problem with the Anik radio: It ran exclusively on batteries. I used to fall asleep with the radio on and thus ran out of batteries at a rapid rate. This problem would soon find me in direct conflict with my Dad, who (rightly) pointed out it was a silly damned thing to fall asleep every night listening to a radio station from Vancouver. Turn it off, problem solved, he’d say.

Mom and Dad had a fight in our kitchen about it, after they thought I’d gone to bed. The winning line was delivered by my Mom (“you buy him those damned batteries, Ira”) and I got my batteries, courtesy of the hardest screw that ever walked a turn at Shawshank prison.

Thanks Mom, and Dad too. I miss you both so much. Happy Mother’s Day to your Mom, if she’s a phone call away or you can drive over, make sure to hug the stuffing out of her. Moms are the best, that’s a fact.

A final note to wish Mrs. Lowetide a Happy Mother’s Day. The connection between you and the mother of your children is pretty damned tight. Thank God I chose wisely. Happy Mother’s Day Jo, you’ve done brilliant work on the two kids you gave birth to, and the one you married.

WHAT ABOUT OEL?

Scott Cullen is running his fabulous Off-Season Game Plan series and has now posted Arizona Coyotes plan. He has the Coyotes trading OEL to the Detroit Red Wings in a fascinating deal. Now, there could be picks and various other items in the trade, but Scott has OEL on Detroit’s roster and Andreas Athanasiou plus Filip Hronek on the Coyotes’ roster.

I think that’s a deal Edmonton could cover plus a little, although (as mentioned) there could be a pick involved. It’s difficult to predict the trade value for OEL’s one season, wanted to pass along Scott’s thoughts on the matter.

OILERS MOCK!

I like doing these for fun and to help us learn about the available players in the draft. This time I’m going to use my list and take the highest ranked player available at each spot compared to Scott Wheeler’s list. I am passing over Ty Smith in the interests of not driving you mad with my choice and the draft works better with a forward at No. 10.

• First Round—No. 10 overall— L Joel Farabee, U.S. N. D. P. (USHL). Speedy winger with legit skill, watching him at the U18’s he seems to be able to change gears and directions quickly. Appears to be a chance machine based on limited viewing, he’s been a force offensively at all levels that have been presented to him. There are also reports about his fine play without the puck, a very nice arrow at this age.
  • Second Round—No. 40 overall—LD K’Andre Miller, U.S. N. D. P. (USHL). Big defender who can skate and has a big shot. Miller would represent terrific value here.
  • Third Round—No. 71 overall— W Samuel Fagemo, Frolunda (SuperElite). Good boots and an excellent shot. Pedestrian season has him falling, I like his goal scoring ability and the fact he can scoot.
  • Fourth Round—No. 102 overall (Oilers acquired goaltender Al Montoya from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for a conditional fourth-round pick in 2018. Montoya covered the condition).
  • Fifth Round—No. 133 overall
  • Sixth Round—No. 164 overall
  • Seventh Round—No. 195 overall

119 Responses to "Train in Vain"

1. sliderule says:

If oilers. Could get Fagemo in third round he would be terrific value

19 goals in 37 games in SHL super elite junior and 5 goals in 5 games at Hlinka is impressive.

Pretty good size and obviously a shooter

2. Richard S.S. says:

It’s who is available and at what price verses what someone is willing to pay,
    There must be an agreement on value or no price is good enough/ the right price.
    Some GMs must win every trade or they won’t make the deal – can’t win a straight Hockey trade.
    Peter Chiarelli has his lists of who he wants and at what value he’s willing to pay. Now it’s just meeting that price.

3. jtblack says:

LT: what is your take on PC trading the 4th rounder for a back up goalie who played 9 games ?

Neccessary?
    No big deal?
    waste of an asset?

4. leeinvan says:

I know everyone says size doesn’t matter anymore in the NHL, but when you look at a team like Winnipeg , I think size still matters a lot when you make the playoffs.
    That’s why I wouldn’t trade for any small d man especially if he has a history of injuries.

If the Oiler’s have a chance to draft a biggish right d man in the first round, they should take it. Not doing this for the last ten years has put them in this predicament.

They also have to stop drafting middling left d men, the team has far too many of them.

Also think if you are hell bent on trading then go big or go home and trade Dria for 2 top six forwards (both under 25) and 1 top d man (young and right sided.) Teams like Carolina, Montreal and Arizona and a few other teams that don’t have a #1 center wont be drafting that player in this draft. These teams know they need a #1 center. Making that trade would also allow you to trade a left D man for another very good forward.

If this were to happen the Oilers would actually have depth which is something this team hasn’t had for many years.

Sure people can scoff, look at Vegas and see what their non star team has done because they have 4 very solid forward lines. And a defense that again is just solid 1-6

Making a major trade like this would also allow the Oilers to let their prospects learn the game on the farm.

McDavid and Dria have gotten the Oilers into the playoffs once in 3 years. Sure their super star players but depth trumps having 2 star players surrounded by a lot of below average nhl players.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

LT, I understand your position on looking to acquire a forward over a 2RD, however, there are arguments that such a plan runs counter cap reality.

What I think we can all agree on is that cap space is limited and it is essential going forward to have value contracts to balance out the elite player contracts (McDavid, Drai) and the bloated contracts to those in the wrong age category (Lucic, Russell, Sekera if he doesn’t regain form).

I am of the opinion that young talented forwards are more apt to provide high value contracts in their ELC years than are d-men.

It would be pretty rare for a d-man to come in on his ELC and provide solid/upper level 2RD minutes whereas I think it would be reasonable to assume that over the next few years a developing forward or two could do just that in the top 6.

Yes, I know there are exceptions out there like Charlie McAvoy but I don’t see any such d-men in the Oilers system – our best shot is Ethan Bear and do we see him as any more than a 3RD and PP specialist over the next two years (the rest of his ELC)? He may sign a nice 2nd contract and then develop in to a 2RD during its term and provide value but I think there is a better shot of a Yamamoto, Puljijarvi, Maksimov, etc. being able to come in to the top 6 over the next few years and provide scoring playing with McDavid/Drai.

If we draft a Jesper Kotkaniemi or a Joel Fabaree, they may only be a year away from providing top 6 offence on an ELC – I would think Ty Smith (or Noah Dobson) might be a bit farther away.

jtblack:

Neccessary?
    No big deal?
    waste of an asset?

7. digger50 says:

leeinvan:
    That’s why I wouldn’t trade for any smalld man especially if he has a history of injuries.

Also think if you are hell bent on trading then go big or go home and trade Dria for 2 top six forwards (both under 25) and 1 top d man (young and right sided.) Teams like Carolina, Montreal and Arizona and a few other teams that don’t have a #1 center wont be drafting that player in this draft. These teams know they need a #1 center.Making that trade would also allow you to trade a left D man for another very good forward.

If this were to happen the Oilerswould actually have depth which is something this team hasn’t had for many years.

Making a major trade like thiswould also allow the Oilers to let their prospects learn the game on the farm.

Well why stop at Drai then?

If we trade Connor we’ll get even more depth.

Edit: excuse my initial brief reply. Point is Connor and Leon did not fail to get the Oilers in the playoffs, the failure was the GM to get good enough nhl players around those two. Same as it was with Hall.

Vegas is quite a story, but it would not be wise to trade our best assets to become more mediocre. How about we keep our best assets and get better players to support them?

We have tried moving out Hall, Shultz, Eberle and getting less skilled players in return. That was not helping either.

OriginalPouzar:

History teaches us these things seldom work out as planned. We don’t know what we don’t know. For instance, we’re talking about Tyler Benson as a future NHL option, but there’s a chance Filip Berglund emerges as the second best player from the 2016 draft.

I agree Edmonton needs forwards and would lean toward taking one at 10 and 40 if I ruled the world. That said, I would do it because the long term potential is greater. If we want someone sooner, then draft a 20-year old like the Islanders did with Aho in 2017.

9. jtblack says:

Lowetide: When your coach tells you (by his deployment) he has no confidence in the backup, then you have to do something about it. I think they believed Montoya would be a bigger factor than he was, thus bringing to spring and the signing of Mikko.

True dat. IMHO this becomes a wasted asset due to PC covering his own error. There were many UFA backups avail in the summer. PC ran with an unproven whos arrows were mixed at best. Then when LB couldnt play, PC had to burn a 4th to get Montoya.

PC is also likly to burn more assets getting a 2RHD, never should have signed Russell.

He also may burn assets to get a scoring winger. He has traded 3 or 4 away and the main one he locked up long term, can’t s ore anymore.

So in short, I see a GM who has made his own mess and now he’s going to hurriedly try to fix it in order to save his job.

#Scary #AssetBurn #FingersCrossed

Krueger and Southampton escape relegation (and their season of extreme discontent and misfortune).

McLellan is never going to have confidence in his backup. He is a coach who overplays his starter. More is more with this coach. Leopard, spots, etc.

If you want a two goaltender balanced usage and getting competent play out of a backup, you have to change the coach.

12. digger50 says:

jtblack: True dat.IMHO this becomes a wasted asset due to PC covering his own error.There were many UFA backups avail in the summer.PC ran with an unproven whos arrows were mixed at best. Then when LB couldnt play, PC had to burn a 4th to get Montoya.

#Scary #AssetBurn #FingersCrossed

I thought they would stop at 7 games. When they exceeded 7 games o thought that then they would give him 12 games to see what he could do. Nope, just enough games to burn turn the fifth to a fourth.

It’s like the league just automatically gives you more picks every year right? So no worries, burn them up, we’ll get more.

13. Spartacus says:

What was the harm in playing Brossoit after the playoffs were out of reach?

I’d argue that it was more sensible to let Brossoit get in a ton of games once it didn’t matter anymore – he gains some experience and the Oilers can see what they’ve actually got.

Bringing in Montoya was closing the barn door after the pigs got out… or putting lipstick on a pig once the lights went up.

Mmmm… pig. Time for breakfast!

Happy Mother’s Day!

14. jtblack says:

digger50: I find this error was also compounded by playing Montoya 9 games. The fifth was gone with the trade. The fifth became the fourth due to playing 9 games instead of 7.

It’s like the league just automatically gives you more picks every year right?So no worries, burn them up, we’ll get more.

They have certainly done things that seem sloppy or uncalculated.

I am with you; Play him 6 games. done. The season was lost already so who cares who the Backup was. Again, sloppy asset mgmt.

15. jtblack says:

RHD. bring in someone who has a record of sawing off or better at 5×5.

I know most want a puck mover, but I day forget about that. Bring in a solid player who DOESNT hurt the team 5×5.

The key for the Oilers over the next 2 seasons is to assemble a TEAM that is compotent at 5×5 when McDavid is on the bench. Just add solid NHL players, combined with the addition of some quality prospects and the improvement of youung players (JP, YAMMY, #10OV, BEAR, ETC).

All of a sudden, this team will be ready to Contend for the Cup.

If PC tries to rush the process, I beleive it will cost us. He has already tried to rush the process once, and it set us back 2-3 years.

Patience is the best course of action.

Spartacus: Bringing in Montoya after the season was lost is another stupid Chiarelli/Oilers decision.

17. slopitch says:

Barrie would be an awesome add. The only way it works is if we don’t move Nuge, Klef, JP, Nurse or #10. And nhl gm’s aren’t that dumb. Jones + 2nd + Kassian doesn’t get the job done.

18. Spartacus says:

Lowetide: I respectfully disagree. They clearly liked him and thought he could solve a problem in 2018-19. Montoya didn’t impress, and they’ve moved on (and will probably trade him). I don’t see it as an error, it’s more like a failed audition.

It’s the timing of it that makes no sense to me.

The season was over, Johnny. Over.

19. slopitch says:

That said, is keeping the picks, adding a few depth signings and maybe a waiver pickup enough?

It might be if Sekera returns to form.

20. Psyche says:

I agree they appreciated what they thought he could bring to the team for the price they paid. Would this be considered an overpay on a small scale deal? It is consistent with Chiarelli’s M.O. of paying what is required to get something you want/need.

I don’t relate well to that “overpaying” train of thought. I’m about getting the best deal and maximizing the cost-benefit ratio.I always wonder if the willingness to overpay comes from living in a higher socio-economic environment?

21. Woogie63 says:

Is there any report card on Sekera at the WC? I was hoping to hear he looked like old the Rej when he played the elite teams?

22. digger50 says:

Spartacus: It’s the timing of it that makes no sense to me.

The season was over, Johnny.Over.

I agree the timing was poor.

He was likely to hit waivers

The scouting was poor. Really, what did they learn that they could not have learned from his past performances.

A few errors occurring for these tryouts.

Ultimately coach didn’t want to play him down the stretch n an effort to put up some end of season points.

Those end of season points make me sigh. Sure, establish some “we never gave up” attitude going into the summer. But bumped us from 7 to 9 in draft prior to lottery. Might have made a difference.

23. Bling says:

Spartacus: It’s the timing of it that makes no sense to me.

The season was over, Johnny.Over.

I disagree with this.

The games still matter a heck of a lot to the players — almost all of whom are fighting for their professional lives. This was the sort of move that you have to make as an organization, to show that there is a commitment to winning.

I remain a fan of LB, but it was getting a bit painful to watch.

24. Bling says:

If the Oilers are to add a RHD, I would prefer to see them take a flyer on a guy playing in the KHL who is in the age 24-28 range.

25. digger50 says:

slopitch:

It might be if Sekera returns to form.

In my opinion they need to do better than a few depth signings just to equal last year as you have to account for the players that have moved on. They need a new Maroon and a new Letestu to equal last years wonderful performance. One was doing well as a scoring winger, the other a utility center.

So sign a new Maroon and forthline Center is the starting point.

26. Biggus Dickus says:

I’m finding the Brady-Kraft-Belichick story fascinating. I imagine that is what’s going on at Kingsway. I wish the incumbents were removed, so that we could evaluate Chiarelli properly. My to do list is:

Management
    Coaching
    Wing
    2nd pairing RD
    backup goalie

Address those in order so that you spend money effectively, and address biggest weaknesses first, ensuring you don’t over correct. Good news is we have spent big money addressing our lowest priority problem.

27. flyfish1168 says:

Bling:

Vegas found value and built a team so why can’t we, or do our professional league scouts suck in finding value in other teams garbage bins.

28. Richard S.S. says:

Al Montoya had two opportunities to lock in the backup job, times the Oilers really needed him. In one he got hurt in the pre-game skate. In the other he looked slow/lazy/disinterested. When he was acquired he was playing good enough for the Oilers needs, when he got here he wasn’t.

29. Richard S.S. says:

How many people are signed in to Google, regularly check TSN and Sportsnet? Article came out about it not being a cap issue that made Las Vegas good, but bad decisions by a couple of GMs. Vegas has good people working for them, but it was sheer luck they got as good as they did.

30. --hudson-- says:

flyfish1168: I agree. Doesn’t have to be KHL. Madison Bowey, Erik Cernak & Andrej Sustr. Here are 3 players that fit your age range. They probably not expensive. Had good junior careers as puck movers.

It seems the Oilers do not employ pro scouts, strictly speaking. They have one that scouts the ECHL, one that scouts the AHL, and one for Europe. The NHL scouting seems to be on management and the coaching staff (which may be the typical arrangement for most clubs).

31. Alpine says:

Boweys probably not going anywhere, seeing as they might lose Carlson in FA.

32. --hudson-- says:

Biggus Dickus: If I had to guess, the plan was to trade Sekera’s cap hit this year, but the injury buggered a lot of things. I’m still not convinced that addressing defence is addressing needs in order. As it is now, we are only moving chairs around.

One other possibility is the rumour that Russell does not have a NMC this year. I remember a couple of posters who got to attend the season ticket holders meeting with Chiarelli heard that the contract details on capfriendly were inaccurate. Fingers crossed it’s a move they can make. (not that I don’t like Russell, just don’t like the inflexibility of a NMC and the caphit he has for a position we have depth in)

33. Andy Dufresne says:

leeinvan,

Hey Lee,

I agree with your logic, and I get that Draisaitl is or will be a #1 center. But I think it is more “probable” that RNH is the center that gets moved if this happens at all.

IMO you have correctly idenitified 3 possible trade candidates Carolina, Montreal and Arizona.

Most of these teams may view RNH as a #2 center but there are VERY few #1 centers availbale, typically 1 in any gvien year. SO

1) Carolina could get by/do well with a tandem of Staal and RNH both viewed as low end 1st line centers.
    2) Montreal is desperately weak down the middle. So much so that they are utilizing two wingers Galchenyuk and Drouin as centers. Montreal has 10 picks in this years draft including the #3ov and 4 picks in the 2nd round.
    3) Arizonas Center depth is also weak, With Derek Stepan as #1 and Dylan Strome a little further behind in development than was hoped for. It would be a situation similar the Carolina where a tandem of Stepan and RNH could both be viewed as low end 1st line centers.

SO

Edmontons LEVERAGE comes in the form of strength down the middle. If youre not going to play RHN as a center, then you could possibly use the leverage to help balance the roster as you allude to.

Dozens of possible trade permutations

In terms of balance……..

RNH and the 10th to Montreal for Patches and the 3rd Montreal effectively gets two centers out of the deal (Nuge and Veleno/Hayton etc). Oilers get a top line LW who could equal or surpass RNHs boxcars in that position and we solidify the right wing positon for the next decade Zadina/JP/Yammo and $1.5m in cap savings

The Carolina and Arizona trade possiblities are to numerous to list

34. OriginalPouzar says:

leeinvan:

The organization spent years drafting low talent d-men based on size:

Theo Peckham, Alex Plante, Johan Motin, Kyle Bigos, Troy Hesketh, Jeremie Blain, David Musil, Ben Betker

35. blainer says:

Just wondering what people would think of a JP for Dylan Strome trade..

36. Munny says:

Undrafted Brandon Saigeon is having a fine game.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t believe management, the coaching staff nor the players were ready the “give up on the season” on January 4. Easy for the fans to say the “season is over” but the players, who put their bodies on the line each and every night, aren’t looking for the coaching staff and management to look to next season with failed goalies with 35 games left in the season.

I read posts about one of the reason that next year has to be a huge move forward by the organization (and a slower 2-3 year re-tool with calculated moves is a bad idea) is because McDavid is going to ask out if it doesn’t.

How does one reconcile McDavid asking out if the team doesn’t improve with giving up on January 4 when McDavid has to go and compete 35 more times?

blainer:
    Just wondering what people would think of a JP for Dylan Strome trade..

I would not make that deal.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Spartacus: It’s the timing of it that makes no sense to me.

The season was over, Johnny.Over.

There is no chance that management, the coaching staff nor the players are giving up on January 4.

Easy for the fans to say its over – not for those directly involved in the team and whose livelihood depends on the game.

40. VOR says:

I have been remembering the last few days, as we’ve been debating what the Oilers should do this off season, something that the first NHL GM (well retired) I ever talked to about my scouting project said to me.

Gerry McNamara was kind enough to take me seriously. He heard me out and then asked:

“How will your math allow for the fact that just when you think you have everything worked out karma comes romping home on a dark, dark horse?”

He paused and added, “and stomps all your grand plans to dust.”

So imagine all our grand plans stomped to dust. The Oilers accomplish nothing this summer. Imagine the out cry.

Then against all odds Tyler Benson replaces Maroon’s offence, And that’s the catalyst, the tipping point. It all starts with a patient organization being rewarded for their patience.

Led by the long shot the kids all pick it up a bit. Puljujarvi slips over the 20 goal barrier, Kharia adds 15, as do Cags, and Kailer. And the bet Chiarelli made last year on youth that blew up on him, the bet he had no plans to make this year, comes up a winner.

And better yet, driven by pride and inspired by their young teammates Lucic, Kassian, Russell, and Sekera all have career years.

Karma comes romping home on a dark, dark horse.

41. Andy Dufresne says:

Psyche,

IMO the willingness to over-pay marginally comes from the desire to get things done.

Some GMs are very patient negotiators. David Poile is an example. David Poile makes a lot of good trades. David Poile has never won a Stanley Cup.

The wealthy people I know in business are frugal in most areas. Rich people dont get rich by giving their money away. BUT they are also “risk takers” and are willing to make “investments” When making these investments, they are “absolutely” far less concerned about winning a deal in the short term….in fact the opposite is true…..they are willing to lose in the short term to win in the long term, hence the idea of losing as an “investment”

Im not sure the analogy is accurate but clearly Chiarelli is GM who is willing to lose a trade if he believes the net result advances his goals. I know this makes me sound like a Chiarelli apologist but so be it. I dislike a few of the deals he lost. I also like a few of the deals he is perceived to have lost.

What Im saying may make some sense to people who have experienced this stuff in business. (or maybe not)

Anyway, Im not hear to defend Chiarelli….just pointing to a dynamic that might help explain his style/actions. Explain…not Defend.

IMO he is going to make more deals that are percieved to be “losses” ….perhaps fewer as the roster rounds into form…..but Im not sure we’re there yet. Hence why I think both Klefbom and Nuge are vulnerable to being traded.

VOR: The best possible result, imo, is that the Oilers work around the edges and don’t make a major move.

43. Brantford Boy says:

Andy Dufresne: RNH and the 10th to Montreal for Patches and the 3rd ( Montreal effectively gets two centers out of the deal Nuge and Veleno/Hayton etc. Oilers get a top line LW who could equal or surpass RNHs boxcars in that position and we solidify the right wing positon for the next decade Zadina/JP/Yammo and $1.5m in cap savings

44. Munny says:

Bulldogs tie it up on a long range shot.

45. Munny says:

Closest thing to a line brawl one will see in this day and age.

46. Biggus Dickus says:

VOR:

He paused and added, “and stomps all your grand plans to dust.”

Karma comes romping home on a dark, dark horse.

You don’t make decisions on what ifs. All you can do is make the most logical decision at the time. William Karlsson is the posterboy for what you are talking about. A guy who had never scored 15 times in any league pots 43. I think the return question to him should have been “how do you account for that?”. Dinosaurs use excuses like that all the time. Well this novel approach isn’t 100% flawless, so we’ll stick with our inferior approach. It’s the reason we are still stick welding in Alberta when the rest of the world uses much better processes. It’s also the reason that it took Basketball 35+ years to learn that 3 pointers are worth more.

Job of the GM is to have an intelligent plan and build to it. My problem with the Oilers management is not that they had a losing season, it’s with their decisions all along the way. There are only a handful of things that I think made sense since Chia came on. Talbot, Maroon, powder dry at the deadline, Jokinen or similar signed, Sekera, betting on Brossoit, drafting JP, etc. Not all came up roses, but they were intelligent hockey moves as compared to the business as usual oilers. A consistently stream of intelligent moves is more important than getting supernaturally lucky, as the latter is independent of the former.

47. Munny says:

Hayton scores on the powerplay from the brawl.

His shot is good enough for the OHL… not sure if it is NHL quality though, but he does have a deceptive release.

Can’t remember where LT has him ranked.

48. Andy Dufresne says:

Brantford Boy: You posted this yesterday Andy… its not that I am saying I like the idea of trading Nuge at all, but this is by far the most ‘sound’ pitch I have heard/read in all of the Nuge trade rumors and suggestions…

Thanks BB. Nuge is one of my favorite Oilers.

49. Biggus Dickus says:

blainer:
    Just wondering what people would think of a JP for Dylan Strome trade..

50. Bryan says:

Lowetide: I would not make that deal.

X100

51. Andy Dufresne says:

As for todays topic…..a puck moving defenceman….

Please let it be Ryan Ellis…….

Smoke signals suggest its likely

1) a big fish…..OEL, Barrie, Ryan Ellis……..which will cost Klefbom + and cap space

or

2) a smaller less expensive fish………Faulk, Severson, etc which will cost the 10th +

Its almost certainly going to be at least a slight overpay.

52. Munny says:

Third period between the Soo and Hamilton about to begin on SN360 for those curious.

53. Optimism is like heroin says:

After long hard looks at our roster I have to agree, adding a forward or two this year plus drafting all the picks works. Next year we can shave almost 10 million off the cap by moving Sekera and or Russell that will allow us the cap space to bring in a #2 RHD.

After this next year the roster could very well gain some balance.
    RNH-McJesus-Puljujarvi
    Lucic-Drai-??Neal @5mil
    ??Grabner @ 2mil-Strome-Yamamoto
    Aberg-Khaira-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
    Klefbom-?? Faulk
    ??Rookie-Benning.

This would be a great result in my book, how close does this roster get to your balance photo LT?

54. Munny says:

Panthers prospect Stillman knots it at three apiece off an icing faceoff win.

55. Munny says:

Dogs take the lead on a goal from St. Louis first rounder Thomas who has been dangerous all game.

56. Munny says:

Katchouk, best player today for Soo just took a nasty tumble, but looks like he survived. Bolts fans will be breathing a sigh of relief.

57. Westchester Oil says:

Yet another example of poor asset management by Chiarelli. While the Oilers might have had a hope and a prayer of making the playoffs when Montoya was acquired, there was no hope after he had played seven games – thus there was no valid reason not to bring LB back for the end of the season.

58. Munny says:

Stars’ prospect Caamano bangs one into the open net.

59. Munny says:

Sambrook gets one back after some brilliant netminding by Fulcher, but he can’t hold back the flood. 45 seconds on the clock

60. Munny says:

GM Steve Staios’s Hamilton Underdogs are going to the Memorial Cup.

61. Westchester Oil says:

Biggus Dickus,

Mr. Dickus, you get my vote for the best name on Lowetide. Classic Monty Python.

62. blainer says:

I think I would do it.

63. blainer says:

Biggus Dickus: I think I’d do it, although I was never high on Strome. He’s still double the production of JP in the AHL. Better NHL rates too if we are being honest. Both are in similar spot. Anyones guess which turns out and which doesn’t. I’ll take the one who doesn’t look like a baby giraffe with broken legs.

I would do it as well. I like the connection between he and CMD and I am a believer in getting as many centers as possible.

It is a very risky move all the same.. probably for both teams.

64. Seismic Source says:

65. Munny says:

blainer: I like the connection between he and CMD

66. meanashell11 says:

Westchester Oil:
    Biggus Dickus,

Are you sure it’s Monty Python? I think Mel Brooks?? History of the World?

edit: upon further review, it’sLife of Brian! You are correct.

67. Munny says:

The Acadie Tauntaun stave off a late comeback by the Armada to book passage to Regina.

Meanwhile the Celtics of Boston are proving you can play the Cavs without being utterly violated. Heck, you can even win.

68. blainer says:

Munny: What connection? They played on different lines. You would make the trade solely based on friendship?

Didn’t they play together on the PP.. A big weakness this past year for us.

Doubt the coyotes would move him anyway but I still like the extra center on the team and I’m really not sold on JP either but it is still kinda early for both of these players.

69. blainer says:

Seismic Source: JP’s skating is light years ahead of Strome. If the target is friends of McDavid, I’d rather spend assets on Debrincat.

I was also very disappointed when we chose Benson over Debrincat..

70. Munny says:

TSN is running a Sports Centre story today on former Oiler pick Brock Radunske and his Mom for Mother’s Day. Highly recommended if you don’t mind lumps in your throat.

71. leadfarmer says:

blainer: I watched some highlights of Strome this past season while he was in the A and while I am defiantly no expert I thought his skating looked quite good.

I was also very disappointed when we chose Benson over Debrincat..

While i think he will be a decent player and Sam Reinhart will be a very good player, those names are tainted and i wouldnt wish on those kids to get traded here.

72. Wonder Llama says:

Westchester Oil:
    Biggus Dickus,

He has a wife, you know…

73. Harpers Hair says:

Clare Drake has passed away at the age of 89.
    A quiet giant of the hockey world.

74. Todd Macallan says:

Seismic Source,

I’d spend all of King Midas’ silver on Kris Knoblauch as coach if we are talking friends of McDavid.

75. Biggus Dickus says:

Harpers Hair:
    Clare Drake has passed away at the age of 89.A quiet giant of the hockey world.

76. maudite says:

What was the harm in playing Brossoit after the playoffs were out of reach?

Mmmm… pig.Time for breakfast!

Happy Mother’s Day!

this. after we were done, I would have split games in half beteen Talbot and brou. Get a better read on wells and such in AHL. Maybe see if LB can make a go of it (I hope he gets out from under us and I won’t be surprised if he has at least a few years of backup in NHL ahead of him)

77. Munny says:

Biggus Dickus: Quite possibly the greatest sports icon in this city, and definitely the biggest at the University.

I’m so glad he was finally inducted into the Hall before passing.

78. OriginalPouzar says:

maudite: this.after we were done, I would have split games in half beteen Talbot and brou.Get a better read on wells and such in AHL.Maybe see if LB can make a go of it (I hope he gets out from under us and I won’t be surprised if he has at least a few years of backup in NHL ahead of him)

I think you mean Ellis, not Wells, right?

Will be interesting to see what happens with both Ellis and Brossoit.

Brossoit is a UFA and I would think he will move on – not sure if the organization is looking to bring him back or not – they did ride him hard down the stretch last season in Bakersfield.

Ellis is an RFA – I would have thought they’d qualify him for sure but he barely saw the net down the stretch last season.

With Wells and Skinner both turning pro, Starett in need of more responsibility and Montoya possibly still in the mix (if not traded or picked up on waivers), there is not a ton or room in the minor leagues.

79. Munny says:

Unbelievable. Caps with another early lead. Niskanen.

Correction: Wilson tipped it.

80. Munny says:

Been all Bolts since the Caps score and they even it up on the PP. Point with the marker.

81. Munny says:

Absolutely horrible call.

82. Munny says:

Stammer scores on the undeserved powerplay.

83. McSorley33 says:

Two different kinds of ugly combined;

1) That Jan 4th was the time to acquire a 33 year old back up;

2) That a 33 year old Montoya would ‘salvage’ the Edmonton Oilers season

For me, this represents how Chia fires his gun.

McSorley33:
    Two different kinds of ugly combined;

1) That Jan 4th was the time to acquire a 33 year old back up;

2) That a 33 year old Montoya would ‘salvage’ the Edmonton Oilers season

For me, this represents how Chia fires his gun.

The Reinhart and Hall trades are the ones to be drilling.

85. maudite says:

Andy Dufresne:
    As for todays topic…..a puck moving defenceman….

Please let it be Ryan Ellis…….

Smoke signals suggest its likely

1) a big fish…..OEL, Barrie, Ryan Ellis……..which will cost Klefbom +and cap space

or

Its almost certainly going to be at least a slight overpay.

I hope not.
    Keep that pick unless it’s a huge win. Only true cup contenders should be foolish enough to expend expansion proof higher end assets on anything next 2 years.

86. Munny says:

An intense, brutally physical first period. Sergachev might be injured after blocking a howitzer just before the period’s end.

87. maudite says:

digger50: I agree the timing was poor.

He was likely to hit waivers

A few errors occurring for these tryouts.

backup solutions: monster and Montoya. Numbers all strongly leaning to below replacement level and bad bets. Bet still made.

I hope the people assessing the latest bet aren’t the same.

Still swear someone will thank us for tossing LB out…while giving him another half year as started in the AHL to further his development.

Why can’t we develop a goalie?

Why can’t we develop prospects outside 1st round (struggle even with top 10) picks?

whale hunts, overpayments, buying high, bad UFA bets, grinding anything that looks like it’s not playing hard nosed “Canadian” hockey into dust.

Whose model are we chasing now? Chicago…I mean Pittsburgh…Oh wait Winnipeg!!!

While I want the jets to win, I’m kind of hoping Washington does then maybe we might start figuring out how to draft and develop some Russians.

88. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: Chiarelli acquired a player he felt would help shore up a weakness for the current season and the one following. I don’t have an issue with that decision, nor with his decision to move away from Montoya after his disappointing showing.

The Reinhart and Hall trades are the ones to be drilling.

Hi LT. I see your logic. But my logic is he is 33 years old. I believe you when you say goalies mature later and you can use Dwayne Roloson as an example. But I see Al having played more games, a bit older already and when he came to us we are his 6th team. I feel that is enough data that he was not ever going to pan out and I’m annoyed we gave up a 5th that turned into a 4th. I would have aimed for a 26-28-year-old that may need a change of scenery. JMHO

89. Biggus Dickus says:

The Reinhart and Hall trades are the ones to be drilling.

It was a month too late, and a poor player ID, especially when attempting to fill the role for next year.

90. Munny says:

Devante finishes off an odd man break from a bad giveaway to tie it up.

91. Munny says:

flyfish1168: I would have aimed for a 26-28-year-old that may need a change of scenery.

Do you have some names in mind that were available on Jan 4?

92. VOR says:

Biggus Dickus: You don’t make decisions on what ifs. All you can do is make the most logical decision at the time. William Karlsson is the posterboy for what you are talking about. A guy who had never scored 15 times in any league pots 43. I think the return question to him should have been “how do you account for that?”. Dinosaurs use excuses like that all the time. Well this novel approach isn’t 100% flawless, so we’ll stick with our inferior approach. It’s the reason we are still stick welding in Alberta when the rest of the world uses much better processes.It’s also the reason that it took Basketball 35+ years to learn that 3 pointers are worth more.

Actually, Gerry was a compulsive planner and he worked those plans to death honing his vision. He never left anything up to chance.

But he had good reason to believe his destiny wasn’t in his own hands. Let’s start with working for Harold Ballard. And being the GM of a team that was both horrible and hated by other GMs and their owners. And that was the tip of the iceberg.

Unknown, unknowns kept assaulting his plans. Didn’t mean he didn’t work harder and harder, look further and further out into the future. He had contingency plan piled on top of contingency plan.

And Karma stomped it all to smithereens.

Anybody think Kevin Lowe wasn’t a little lucky acquiring Chris Pronger. Or losing him?

I wasn’t suggesting the Oilers rely on luck. Just that we can’t know what sort of opportunities Chiarelli is accounting. For example, maybe Garth Snow phones up his favourite punching bag and offers Anders Lee even up for Oscar Klefbom. He supposedly offered Lee +++ for OEL. Maybe if he can’t get that done he comes around to Chia.

On the other hand perhaps he has been such a patsy over the years that GMs have gotten greedy. All he is hearing are pitches selling shit in return for gold.

We can’t know what pond Chia is fishing in. And we certainly can’t judge him by his success in an imaginary pond of our creation.

The truth is his hands are probably tied in a lot of ways this summer and much as another season of inactivity will drive many nuts it may also be the best of all outcomes. But if that turns out to be the case it will be because a dark horse come in at long odds.

93. Munny says:

Eller scores for the Caps, a deadly late goal.

Broncos up 2-0 after one. Everett heavily outshot.

94. Munny says:

And the Caps get another late one with a couple seconds to go. Own goal I think, Kuznetsov likely will get credit.

95. Munny says:

OV.

96. Scungilli Slushy says:

slopitch:

I’m pretty sure Carolina wants to get rid of Faulk’s salary pretty bad, that’s the play. WG might correct me but there is likely marginal difference between Barrie and Faulk 5v5.

A second for Faulk and his freely moveable contract, maybe toss in a bit more and role the dice, if they find no patsy.

97. Munny says:

Connolly, who’s had some good looks, ices the game with a one-timer. 6-2 Caps.

98. flyfish1168 says:

Munny: Do you have some names in mind that were available on Jan 4?

I cannot say who was available, how hard or difficult it is to pry a certain player out. But Calvin Pickard is one I wonder if PC might have acquired about

Andy Dufresne:

RNH and the 10th to Montreal for Patches and the 3rd Montreal effectively gets two centers out of the deal (Nuge and Veleno/Hayton etc). Oilers get a top line LW who could equal or surpass RNHs boxcars in that position and we solidify the right wing positon for the next decadeZadina/JP/Yammo and $1.5m in cap savings

Nugent-Hopkins is a better left wing than Pacioretty, and is just entering his prime vs. leaving his prime, signed for longer vs. will have to be re-signed for more than RNH and like Lucic, paying for Patches declining years.

The dumbest thing the Oilers have lone in the last decade is trade away everyone when they are in the mid-twenties entering their prime and bringing in guys near 30 ready to fall off the cliff.

100. Munny says:

flyfish1168,

Maybe he did. But quality backups in the age sweet spot of 26-28 are generally not available mid-season for a 4/5 pick.

He traded for somebody the coach was going to sit on the bench. Brossoit was doing a fine job sitting on the bench. Brossoit was an all star at bench sitting. Montoya didn’t improve the bench sitting spot. The weakness was not the backup goaltender. The weakness is a coach who doesn’t use his enitre roster to good effect.

102. Biggus Dickus says:

Munny:
    flyfish1168,

Maybe he did.But quality backups in the age sweet spot of 26-28 are generally not available mid-season for a 4/5 pick.

Does Mrazek count? Eddie Lack was traded a week earlier for arguably less. Pickard, Wedgewood. Those guys all have their blemishes, but they are all more reasonable longer term bets.

103. flyfish1168 says:

Biggus Dickus: Does Mrazek count? Eddie Lack was traded a week earlier for arguably less. Pickard, Wedgewood. Those guys all have their blemishes, but they are all more reasonable longer-term bets.

I agree we should be looking for a reasonable bet. Al has had too many chances.

104. Munny says:

Biggus Dickus: Does Mrazek count?

I have no idea if Mrazek counts. Partly because I have no idea when Chia identified the Finn as his off-season target.

However, he cost the Flyers more, and had a poorer save percentage with the Flyers than Inigo had with us.

Biggus Dickus: Eddie Lack was traded a week earlier for arguably less

Lack hasn’t posted a number above what Montoya provided for us this year in three seasons. He has struggled, and is 30 years old.

Biggus Dickus: Pickard, Wedgewood

They fit the age group… but they again haven’t posted even the weak numbers Inigo posted for us. No idea what their acquisition cost would have have been. Both acquisitions would’ve been heavily second-guessed, if they had maintained the same numbers with us.

105. Munny says:

I don’t think Montoya was intended to be anything other than a stopgap… unless his performance convinced otherwise.

Edit: Management also may have been looking for someone with experience, someone Talbot could lean on, someone who could help get him back to his former form.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

Skinner with yet another shutout – he stops all 28 shots as the Broncos win the WHL Title with a 2-0 victory.

On to the Memorial Cup!

17 : 3 – 13 – 16 – 22 / / 0.727

Carl Hagelin – SuperElit

17 – 20 – 20 – 40 – 41 / / 0.975

Loui Eriksson – SuperElit

16 – 7 – 15 – 22 – 35 / / 0.629

17 – 16 – 15 – 31 – 30 / / 1.033

Side note from this, an underrated casualty of McLellan is Anton Lander. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind he is better than a lot of our bottom 6 forwards and should still be on the team. His NHLE from his latest KHL season is 46.4.

109. jtblack says:

Scungilli Slushy: Great news. The Oilers need great goaler news. I hope he backstops a surprise cup.

Skinner had 6 shutouts during the Playoffs. As LT would say: GOOD ARROWS

110. LoDog says:

Wilde,

One of the many problems with nhle. Lander is too slow for the NHL

111. jtblack says:

The Reinhart and Hall trades are the ones to be drilling.

Disagree LT. PC could have signed a veteran Goalie in the summer for nothing ($1-$3 Mill).

Instead he sat on his hands. For that it cost the organization a 4th round pick. Or from your perspective: PC’s inabilty to evaluate talent cost the Oilers a 4th round pick. In the Reinhart and Hall trades you referenced, his piss poor talent evaluation cost the Franshise much more … much much more

112. Wilde says:

Wilde,

Player

GP – G – A – PTS / / PTS/GP

K’Andre Miller

22 – 4 – 12 – 16 / / 0.727

Will Butcher

26 – 3 – 10 – 13 / / 0.500

Matt Grzelcyk

24 – 1 – 10 – 11 / / 0.458

Brady Skjei

24 – 3 – 9 – 12 / / 0.500

Jacob Trouba

22 – 4 – 14 – 18 / / 0.818

Note about these players: All but Trouba went to College for more than a year, so if there’s any fretting about the Leftorium know that K’Andre is a ways off of turning pro.

113. JimmyV1965 says:

17 : 3 – 13 – 16 – 22 / / 0.727

Carl Hagelin – SuperElit

17 – 20 – 20 – 40 – 41 / / 0.975

Loui Eriksson – SuperElit

16 – 7 – 15 – 22 – 35 / / 0.629

17 – 16 – 15 – 31 – 30 / / 1.033

Sometimes I think we underrate the role of confidence. Lander has lit it up at every level other than the NHL. For some reason he couldn’t put it altogether here. And he was given multiple opportunities. The skating thing is a red herring IMO
    Plenty of guys have success in the NHL without great wheels.

114. Wilde says:

I won’t post more numbers on Farabee as my arms are tired and the dead horse is mush. I believe he will be both the BPA and the best fit for the Oilers at the same time.

As for draft strategy, I’m extremely high on a number of 2nd-3rd rounder prospects in this draft, and would really like to see the Oilers trim some of the fat off the roster and see if they can nab another 3rd.

115. Professor Q says:

Wilde:

That sounds Faramee, I think.

116. russ99 says:

As much as we love to project prospects, this team needs reliable veterans that produce.

There’s a reason why Buffalo are where they are. At some point it needs to be about NHL results and not about how great the next kid might be.

117. Professor Q says:

russ99:

Because their veterans who produced didn’t mesh well with their team, and no longer have elite goaltending.

As opposed to Winnipeg, who uses a similar drafting and veteran system, and finally somehow had surprise elite goaltending this season (one of their negative factors in the past 7 years, or more if you go back into Atlanta).

118. Munny says:

jtblack,

Beauty arrows. Maybe the best of any prospect in the organization.