Draft Post No. 5: The Week to Come

This is a massive week for the Edmonton Oilers. They’ll find out the cap limit early in the week, continue to pursue trade options and on Friday and Saturday draft six new prospects. It looks like trades will build this roster from where it is today, and we’ll find out if Peter Chiarelli’s statement that he wouldn’t blow it up holds true. After weeks of hurry up and wait, prepare for the most explosive week of summer.

THE ATHLETIC!

Give The Athletic as a gift for Father’s Day and get a free t-shirt! Offer is here, less than $5 a month and your Dad will love a unique gift. I find myself reading both the hockey (Willis, Dellow, Pronman, et cetera) and the baseball coverage a lot, it’s compelling reading and a pure pleasure to visit. I’ll be running draft articles for my contribution to The Athletic now through next weekend, come aboard!

• New Lowetide: The WHL draft pool 2018: Where are the forwards? (will link)
  • Lowetide: Can the Oilers repeat the 2017 draft haul?
  • Lowetide: Embracing a two-way mentoring role key for Ryan Strome
  • Lowetide: Oilers coveted righty defenceman could come in Round Two of the draft
  • Tyler Dellow: Milan Lucic’s transition into rush player wiped out much production
  • Lowetide: Shopping Milan Lucic for another problem contract.
  • Tyler Dellow: The value of draft picks and reasonable trades Canadian teams can make
  • Corey Pronman: 2018 NHL draft board.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the USHL.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and Russia: A draft tragedy.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the Republic of Finland
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and Sweden.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the QMJHL.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018Oilers and the WHL.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: Oilers draft history and the OHL
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the NCAA.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers at the draft: Overagers.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: Oilers scouting directors: A history.

WORKING ROSTER 2018-19

Thomas Vanek seems to be the consensus among readers and listeners I interact with, let’s say he comes in at $2.7 million times one. The No. 7 defenseman can be Keegan Lowe, that’s $675,000 next season. The No. 4 center has to come in at (assuming a $1 million cap cushion) $1 million or less next year, possibly meaning Jujhar Khaira moves to No. 4 center and Pontus Aberg or Drake Caggiula play on the Strome line. This team needs some dynamic additions, but we need to remember the biggest boost might be Jesse Puljujarvi, age 20. If he blossoms, a lot falls into place. Ditto Kailer Yamamoto.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY

Father’s Day begins with me reading up on Costa Rica and Serbia. World Cup Soccer allows me a chance to spend a few minutes reminding myself about things I learned in school. You’d be amazed how little time I’ve spent on Costa Rica since 1976. I don’t know how much you know about Costa Rica, but it’s an interesting story and far afar looks like a nation with its act together.

We’re all fine, the family is progressing as it should. This spring, my daughter told me that, while she and her brother love the dog, they don’t consider it to be the ‘third child’ and maybe me and Mom could refrain from acting like that was true. I’m just glad the dog wasn’t in the room to hear it.

Enjoy your day, men. And if you’re lucky enough to have a living, breathing Father (even if he isn’t your biological Dad, you know who your Father is) then you hug the stuffing out of him today and I mean it.

PULJUJARVI’S PROGRESS AND FUTURE

For Oilers fans, any of the three ‘Draft +3’ seasons would be a dream. JP won’t post those numbers with Ryan Strome, but there are other options and this is the young man’s time to push up the depth chart. A quick reminder about Puljujarvi’s performance a year ago with each center:
  1. With Leon Draisaitl: 2.37 in 101 minutes (1-3-4)
  2. With Connor McDavid: 1.87 in 257 minutes (5-3-8)
  3. With Ryan Strome: 1.26 in 238 minutes (3-2-5)
  4. With Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: 0.51 in 117 minutes (1-0-1)
  5. With Mark Letestu: 0.00 in 57 minutes (0-0-0)

QUESTION FROM MEL

• Mel: You talk a lot about finding value, often mentioning guys like Austin Czarnik or Nick Petan. I just saw Matthew Peca on the list of UFAs over at Capfriendly. He’s going into his 25 year old season and has produced well in the A, while getting a few cups of tea with a very strong Tampa team. What are your thoughts on him as a depth fit for the Oilers? He could battle guys like Marody and Malone for call up minutes and at the very least be a good AHL center for the kids to develop with.

Mel’s point is well taken, and with Edmonton’s need for penalty killers on the No. 4 line he might be a quality addition for low dollars. The Hockey News says “has solid playmaking ability and two-way acumen at lower levels. Can be a factor on special teams” and that dovetails nicely with roster needs. As Mel mentioned, he’s 25 so there’s lots of track left. His player card at NST is impressive but in very few minutes.

SAM BENNETT

I was asked over at The Athletic about a Ryan Strome for Sam Bennett trade, and my initial reaction was ‘that’s a pretty interesting trade idea.’ Bennett has a contract for the coming year, just under two million dollars, and he scored at a similar rate to Strome a year ago. He got nothing done with Curtis Lazar and Mikael Backlund, but other than that scored pretty well for Calgary. I like Strome’s handedness and do think he’ll have a better year in 2018-19 now that he is in a defined role but Sam Bennett is an interesting option for Edmonton.

95 Responses to "Draft Post No. 5: The Week to Come"

1. Woodguy v2.0 says:

This will be a big year for JP and I’m on record saying he’ll be north of 50pts is he plays top 6 and at least on PP2.

Its interesting to note that Rantanen’s draft +3 was actually his 21 year old year and I have mentioned before, age is a big deal when comparing/projecting players under 23 or so and especially teenagers.

Both Nylander and Pastrnkak’s draft +3 were their 20 year old years, just like this year will be JP’s 20 year old year.

Rantanen took and extra year age wise given that he was an Oct birthday.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

I am looking for Jesse to have a great season this year. Not necessarily a crazy breakout year but arrows up.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 25 plus 25.

Is there any reason he shouldn’t be tied to Leon?

Yes, I see the argument for him to play with Connor but it’s more important for me that Leon has some talent on his wings.

3. cowboy bill says:

I’d sooner see Grabner in that 2nd line RW slot , he’s younger , faster and is solid on the penalty kill . Plus signing a fourth line center , even if it’s Brodziak would pay dividends , allowing JJ to play with Strome & JP to form a energetic 3rd line . Especially if they cheap out on the seventh d-man as you suggest.

cowboy bill:

Everyything we read about Grabner is that he’ll return to NYC and one of their three teams. Otherwise I agree.

5. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– be careful what you wish for with Pool

– It will be interesting to see what Nylander and Rantanen (and Laine) get. The Oil need an effective drafted winger in that division of effectiveness (maybe less goals but more polish)

– Pasternk is $6.6: most of those will be +/- that sum this season if long-term

*I go Lucic-Drai-Pool next year: makes the most sense in terms of styles, and match-ups iMO

6. slopitch says:

I’m all for the Letestu trade but I look at that lineup and can see how he got 1PP time. I see very little shooters (JP has a killer shot but slow release, Rattie I believe has one) and 2 of the best playmakers in the game. If the Oilers problems were simply 1) Talbot 2) d health 3) pp and 4) pk (which they fixed by end of year but the damage was done) it’s possible the roster is “mostly fixed” with a remidied PP. Lots of options out there but you gotta wonder what Phil Kessel would cost. I wouldn’t move the 10 for Phil cause I don’t think the Oilers can win this year (giddyup 2020 though) and they already lack cap space and depth. I also wonder if they are shopping for Walstrom. It would be nice if he slid but it might take a trade with Detroit to make it happen. I think Svechnikov would cost too much.

Cheering like bonkers for JP. I believe the oilers have handled him properly till now. He’s looked great in stretches (like many young players) then he’ll have a shift with 3-4 glaring ozone turnovers. You never know when a young kid is gonna see the light so to speak but I’m routing hard for him. Hes got potential to be Blake Wheeler light. Cheering hard for YK too.

Gonna be a fun week. Happy Father’s Day all!

7. Woogie63 says:

We need to get to Christmas in the play-off hunt, so we have a”Kid Line”

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
    Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
    Caggiula-Strome-Kassian
    Khaira-Marody-Yamamoto
    Malone-Aberg

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Sekera
    Russell-Benning
    Bear

Talbot
    Koskinen

8. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Good piece on the perils of drafting for need: https://www.nhl.com/news/2008-nhl-redraft-stamkos-doughty-karlsson/c-299076486?tid=277764372

LAK had the 2nd and 13th pick in the 2008 draft.

Took Doughty at 2.

They thought they needed some size on the back end too so went with Teubert.

9. who says:

I like the looks of that 3rd line LT. I think thats a very good fit for JP to start the year. Lord have pity on Drai though.

10. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Woodguy v2.0:

LAK had the 2nd and 13th pick in the 2008 draft.

Took Doughty at 2.

They thought they needed some size on the back end too so went with Teubert.

– Boqvist: reading Karlsson’s rookie stuff: small, awesome, scores, young, not best D, etc

JP’s draft plus one was a wasted redshirt year in one of the most important years of player development.

The Oilers magical-thinking philosophy of player development.

who:
    I like the looks of that 3rd line LT. I think thats a very good fit for JP to start the year.Lord have pity on Drai though.

13. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – You and I and LT could be the forwards on a Karlsson-Doughty blue line and push the river…

Doughty taking on the toughs for 25 minutes

Karlsson playing 2nd pair for 25 minutes

You and LT as 3rd pair and they win multiple Cups

14. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10:

He hung around Edmonton, not learning English, and sitting in the pressbox.And when they sent him to Bakersfield, he wasn’t learning English, and he wasn’t playing with Anton Lander.He was playing by himself basically, with a couple of nobodies for linemates.

The Oilers magical-thinking philosophy of player development.

I hope changing out most of the coaching staff in OKC is a strong signal that things are changing.

That MacT and Bill Scott are still in charge of the AHL keeps from believing it fully.

15. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Woodguy v2.0: Doughty taking on the toughs for 25 minutes

Karlsson playing 2nd pair for 25 minutes

You and LT as 3rd pair and they win multiple Cups

Boqvist’s age is pretty important here too. Doesn’t turn 18 until August 15th.If he’s born 1 month later he’s a 2019 draft eligible.

– nah, I’d rather just skake round wait for something to happen get some assists and cheap goals with Doughty and Karlsson flying past me as I try to get into position (really late), than play D

16. frjohnk says:

godot10:

The Oilers magical-thinking philosophy of player development.

I think the Oilers expected him to be an impact player or close to it, right out of the gate. When it did not happen, management went into “deer in the headlights” player development mode in regards to JP in that first year.

I agree with WG that this is a big year for JP. I think he busts out. JP that is, not WG

17. Rondo says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Boqvist is 5-11.5, 165.4 and still has time to grow taller.

18. eidy says:

I like the idea of Vanek as well, but we better hope they don’t ask the new coaching hires for their advice.

19. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

“Boqvist’s age is pretty important here too. Doesn’t turn 18 until August 15th. If he’s born 1 month later he’s a 2019 draft eligible.”

I think this matters greatly. Would love it if Oilers took him @ #10.

20. Woodguy v2.0 says:

McKenzie via @prospectwatch:

Bob McKenzie: “Multiple scouts have Zadina falling out there top 5 now, I don’t think it’s cause he has done anything wrong with his game, but I think it’s cause the centremen (Kotkaniemi, Hayton) and d-men (Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson) have really stepped up”.

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jtblack:
    Woodguy v2.0,

I think this matters greatly. Would love it if Oilers took him @ #10.

I changed the error in that post btw, its 2 months, not 1 that I initially wrote.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

If anyone is wondering…….

The September 15th birthday cut off date for the draft is so a player who is a minor (under 18) could not go to work with adults at a NHL training camp.

It avoids a whole slough of liability issues.

23. jtblack says:

HAPPY FATHERS DAY to LT and all the Dads out there!

Every year My Wife and Kids take me to the horse races for an afternoon of $2 bets and ice cold beer. We watch the jockeys bring the horses around and into the warm-up stable and then each of us picks a different horse that we think will win the race.

The kids (9 & 11 now) give me one of their Twoonies that they brought and I go in and place a bet for all of us.

We head back out to the track and wait for the race to begin and then watch with great interest. It never matrers who wins. We repeat this for all 8 races.

Every year my dad joins us and he’ll be joining us again toda. he’s now 78 and I’m grateful he’s still with us.

This is our little Fathers Day Tradition. Hoping you all enjoy yours or create one today.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

24. Woodguy v2.0 says:

@Prospects_Watch

Bob McKenzie: “I can tell you this, Kotkaniemi got multiple votes in the top 5 from the 10 scouts I talked to, same thing with Dobson. Hughes and Bouchard had more than one mention as a top 5 prospect. Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Hayton & Kravtsov, all of them got a mention in top 5”

25. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jtblack:
    HAPPY FATHERS DAY to LT and all the Dads out there!

Every year My Wife and Kids take me to the horse races for an afternoon of $2 bets and ice cold beer.We watch the jockeys bring the horses around and into the warm-up stable and then each of us picks a different horse thatwe think will win the race.

We head back out to the track and wait for the race to begin and then watch with great interest.It never matrers who wins.We repeat this for all 8 races.

This is our little Fathers Day Tradition.Hoping you all enjoy yours or create one today.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

That sounds like a great day!

26. jtblack says:

JP hit 1.87 – 2.37. So given a full year with Connor and Leon as his Centers; there is no reason that JP shouldn’t go up dramatically in his scoring totals. He will be on 1 of the PP’s.

I am with OP. A 25 G 25 A season would be excellent

27. commonfan29 says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Should Pool blossom, we are looking for another $6MM to come out of the team next year…:

It would be a complicated bet to make, but could pay off amazingly if everything went right.

28. Alpine says:

Woodguy v2.0:

@Prospects_Watch

I’m wondering how far he drops if he does. Can see an argument for all of OTT, ARI, DET and VAN going for a D. Can’t see Zadina slipping past Chicago. They have a history of picking Fs who drop in the draft (Teuvo, Debrincat).

29. tileguy says:

Costa Rica is that dam country that keeps taking our world cup spot!

30. Bag of Pucks says:

Our Father’s Day tradition is my two sons and I head down to our music room/man cave, grab a guitar, bass or drum sticks and drop the hammer of God on a 20 kilatonne jam session.

So huge props to my wife obviously for tolerating this : )

31. v4ance says:

I’m surprised that there hasn’t been more pushback at the appointment of Jay Woodcroft as the AHL head coach. In terms of importance, the Director of Scouting, the GM and then the NHL head coach are more critical to an organization’s success but in 4th, I’d place the AHL head coach.

Woodcroft has only been an assistant coach at the NHL level and has never been the main decision maker at any other level. Now he’ll be a key cog in player development with no previous experience. SImilar to the decision to sign Koskinen, we are taking all the risk on a bet that has very little track record.

32. blainer says:

My prediction is that Zadina will be this years Vilardi and drop out of the top ten.

My top ten picks

1) Dahlin
    2) Svechnikov
    3) Kotkaniemi
    4) Dobson
    5) Hughes
    6) Tkachuk
    7) Bouchard
    8) Wahlstrom
    9) Kravtsov
    10) Boqvist
    _________

11) Zadina.. same spot as Vilardi last year.. He is an excellent player and I would be very happy if we get him but I still take Boqvist ahead of him on my draft board.

I can see the Rangers taking a bit of a reach and drafting Kravtsov

For me this has to be one of the oddest draft’s I’ve seen. After the number 2 pick it can go in any order right through to the 12th pick.

I really don’t see a need to trade up as the best player of that group could very easily come from the 10th pick.

Really looking forward to this years draft.

33. hunter1909 says:

godot10:

The Oilers magical-thinking philosophy of player development.

How can a guy lurk with this kind of inflammatory post!!??

Here’s what’s really what: Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish(henceforth known as Lowe+MacT) cottoned onto a veritable TRUTH in Edmonton: Both Lowe+MacT + the fans(!!!) love a lynch mob.

JP is simply the latest in the Rob Schremp/Jani Rita era of Lowe+MacT utterly draft picks turned “prospects” left to rot and die on the vine.

If anyone wants to truly understand the Oilers I suggest they watch “They Shoot Horses Don’t They” where all is revealed by Gig.

34. Scungilli Slushy says:

Rondo:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Boqvistis 5-11.5, 165.4 and still has time to grow taller.

35. Professor Q says:

tileguy:
    Costa Rica is that dam country that keeps taking our world cup spot!

Considering every single country (209) except a few last-minute expulsions (I think due to external conflicts) will be in the next World Cup, we might just have a chance.

Not to mention being in by default in 2026!

36. Harpers Hair says:

Scungilli Slushy: Given his age he could easily end up playing at Karlsson’s size -6′ 190 lbs. Reading about him reminds me of Doughty in his draft year, so talented perhaps didn’t train as much as some do. Boqvist’s coach mentioned it and that he doesn’t know how good he can be.

Don’t think he will get past the Canucks if he’s available given their affinity for Swedes.

Bag of Pucks:

So huge props to my wife obviously for tolerating this : )

Awesome! Love all the traditions.

38. Glass says:

Prospect Watch had a tweet about Bergevin stating he wanted to trade down… but I wonder how much he’d have to add to move up from #3 to #2.

My Mock Draft of the first 10 picks:
    1. Buffalo – Dahlin
    2. Carolina – Svechnikov
    3. Montreal – Kotkaniemi (I expect them to move up or down)
    4. Ottawa – Tkachuk (They seem to lack promising young wingers. I’d expect a shakeup due to the Hoffman debacle. Tkachuk is the beginnings of forming a new identity)
    5. Arizona – Dobson (They have Chychrun and OEL at LD for years. Plenty of young forward talent. It will be Zadina or a RD. I think their team will be on the rise, and adding a guy who just won the memorial cup hopefully adds to the winning culture they want to build).
    6. Detroit – Hughes (They need to rebuild their D, I wonder if they pass on the home town kid)
    7. Vancouver – Boqvist (Zadina is slipping on my list, but Vancouver has plenty of quality forward prospects. Juolevi is a good prospect but needs back surgery which likely has them thinking of adding to their D prospect pool. Their other picks are really panning out, I suspect they take a chance on Boqvist, who is very dynamic.)
    8. Chicago – Zadina (Can’t pass up on a quality forward who slid this far down.)
    9. NYR – Wahlstrom (I think they look to add an excellent goal scorer to the Andersson/Chytil cluster)
    10. Edmonton – Bouchard

Montreal NEEDS a center, now more than ever. Due to this, someone excellent will fall to us. I suspect it will be an excellent goal scoring winger or a quality RD. Both fit our needs like a glove.

39. Wilde says:

In 5 years, we may have some or all of Hayton, Dobson, Tkachuk and Veleno to thank for delivering us the 5th crown jewel of the McDavid cluster.

40. --hudson-- says:

@VOR: thanks for the interesting details and methods of building consensus! Lots of food for thought in there. I’ll come back to this later in the week.

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads here!

41. OiLNATION says:

If strome gets more than 2 mill then that’s riddiculous. Oil should use the cap space wisely, sign the rfas appropriately, and then sign vanek for rw and derek ryan for 4th line center.

OiLNATION:

43. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:

The Oilers magical-thinking philosophy of player development.

English isn’t the primary language in Edmonton or Bakersfield?

44. OriginalPouzar says:

v4ance:
    I’m surprised that there hasn’t been more pushback at the appointment of Jay Woodcroft as the AHL head coach.In terms of importance, the Director of Scouting, the GM and then the NHL head coach are more critical to an organization’s success but in 4th, I’d place the AHL head coach.

Woodcroft has only been an assistant coach at the NHL level and has never been the main decision maker at any other level.Now he’ll be a key cog in player development with no previous experience.SImilar to the decision to sign Koskinen, we are taking all the risk on a bet that has very little track record.

From accounts, he is great with the young players and he’s been on an NHL bench for a very long time. I think him being ready for his own bench and developing young players is a pretty decent bet to make.

At the very least, the Condors’ head coach will be in tune with the big club and they should be on the same page with developmental strategies and systems play.

45. OriginalPouzar says:

On Friday’s Bobcast McKenzie talked about how the initial thoughts on the 1-3-4 compartmentalization of the draft is completely gone.

It used to be:

1) Dahlin
    2) The three forwards (Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk)
    3) The four d-man (Boquist, Hughes, Bouchard Dobson)

Its now:

1) Dahlin
    2) Svechnikov
    3) a cluster from 3-12

He said, on his list of 10 scouts (from 10 teams) that he’s talked to, every single player in the top 12 has been ranked in the top 5 by at least one scout.

There used to be that “top 9” but Kotkaniemi and Kravstov have jumped up (and even Hayton) making the tier even longer.

At least one (if not two or even three) players from that original “top 9” will be available for the Oilers.

Its going to be insane next Friday – noone knows what the eff is going to happen from the 3rd pick on.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: I don’t think $2 million is realistic, the model is set up for $3M+ and suspect you’d need to offer him some term to get Strome in under three. Trade also an option.

Not to mention, Strome’s game is deserving of $3M (or thereabouts).

47. Richard S.S. says:

The Cap announcement is due early this week, preferably before Wednesday. Excepting a big increase so Peter Chiarelli can have enough Cap space to do what he needs to do might be a disadvantage. Cap-strapped Teams can avoid trading players they might have been forced to if the Cap rise rescues them. It all depends on how much escrow the Players want to pay.

48. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: From accounts, he is great with the young players and he’s been on an NHL bench for a very long time.I think him being ready for his own bench and developing young players is a pretty decent bet to make.

My thinking is that the next best brilliant move once the dust settles after the draft and free agent frenzy will be to remove Chiarelli and replace him with McLellan. They will then bring McLellans boy up from the minors as head coach. My guess would be at about or before the 20 game mark. Depending on how well the team starts out of the gate! The power struggle is still alive and well!

49. Andy Dufresne says:

Woodguy v2.0: Doughty taking on the toughs for 25 minutes

Karlsson playing 2nd pair for 25 minutes

You and LT as 3rd pair and they win multiple Cups

50. Andy Dufresne says:

OriginalPouzar:
    ORIGINALPOUZAR says:
    June 17, 2018 at 8:55 am

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 25 plus 25.

At least 25! on a line with Staal and Aho.

51. Andy Dufresne says:

Woodguy v2.0:

@Prospects_Watch

Dont want to read between the lines two much but looking at the language and reverse engineering a bit, he creates 4 categories here.

Dahlin
    Svechnikov
    then
    a 3rd tier Hughes and Bouchard “more than one” mention in top 5
    So it follows
    a 2nd tier Kotkaniemi and Dobson must have “more than 2” mentions in top 5
    Leaving
    4th tier meaning “1 vote each in as a top 5″ Whalstrom, Boqvist, Hayton, Kravtsov

In this particular quote/list he does not mention Zadina. But his previous quote said “Multiple scouts have Zadina falling out there top 5 now” implies that Zadina still got multiple top 5 votes. So hes probably still in the 2nd tier with Kotkaniemi and Dobson.

So if Im reading this all acurately

Dahlin
    Svechnikov
    Kotkaniemi, Dobson, Zadina
    Hughes, Bouchard
    Whalstrom, Boqvist, Hayton, Kravtsov

Thats 11 guys. Worst case scenario Oilers will be choosing from one of Boqvist, Hayton, Kravtsov or Smith. (added Smith as a 12th)

AND NO DRAFT IN HISTORY has ever gone in the exact order anyone predicted the top 10 to be. So there is a reasonable probability that a Whalstrom or a Bouchard may be available as an option at 10 as well.

This thing just keeps getting better and better for the holder of the 10th pick as we get closer to draft day. Its akin to regaining the ground we lost in the draft lottery. Sweet.

Edit: Just noticed OP did this above in a way that is easier to understand.

52. Andy Dufresne says:

commonfan29: This is why it’s at least a little puzzling to me that there isn’t more talk of extending him this summer.

53. defmn says:

NHL Prospects Watcher
    ‏ @Prospects_Watch
    8m8 minutes ago

Friedman says draft proposal NHL will have to deal with next CBA, 1st RD you can select 18 yr olds, after that, all 19 yr olds. Also believes what they will try to do, you can go to the CHL, after you are done, you can go to the NCAA if you want.

54. Andy Dufresne says:

blainer:

My top ten picks

1) Dahlin
    2) Svechnikov
    3) Kotkaniemi
    4) Dobson
    5) Hughes
    6) Tkachuk
    7) Bouchard
    8) Wahlstrom
    9) Kravtsov
    10) Boqvist_________

I can see the Rangers taking a bit of a reach and drafting Kravtsov

Really looking forward to this years draft.

Its a possiblity……except….to drop out of the top ten he’d have to not get picked by us.

55. rickithebear says:

Woodguy v2.0:

That is why Desjardins developed age NHLE curves and league NHLE.
    League NHLE is constant.
    Age NHLE declines as they mature to age 22 were age and league are 1:1.

First time I am aware you use age NHLE.

56. VOR says:

–hudson–:
    @VOR: thanks for the interesting details and methods of building consensus!Lots of food for thought in there.I’ll come back to this later in the week.

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads here!

Pursuant to your request for video of building a board – this is the Vancouver Canucks at work

57. rickithebear says:

Leadfarmer:

Just read your question re: d prospects.

1.I watch games ( Shaw years ago) now intranet, Video, to review prospect mechanics and repeatability of baseplay.
    2. Who do they play with/against @ even.
    3. Transition passing!
    4. Even offence as a % of linemates production.
    Talked about this years ago on here.
    Now I think it is discussed in terms of team. ( which makes no sense to me)
    5. How much do they abandon Prim responsibility.
    6. Performance to thier side.

58. rickithebear says:

Lowetide: Awesome! Love all the traditions.

Father understood I needed to develop social skills and co-ordination.
    Had me work with others @ young age.
    Splitting large birch,
    Industrial chicken farm.
    Mixing fines for brick work hoe and trough.
    Splitting field rock for sub division and town signs.
    Helping with shit pumper truck.

Dad and I always did a project on Father’s Day.
    Today my 2 boys did thier first real construction.

We (they) built 2 sheer panels for poney wall portion of house addition.
    Then we pole sawed limbs off 2 trees need to go for Reno.

That feeling of pride for my boys.

My oldest was 5’3” a few months back.
    Realized we were more eye to eye.
    5’7” 190 WTF!

59. meanashell11 says:

I don’t know if this has been reported here but according to Larry Brooks the NYR have offered to take Lucic if we throw in Drai! hahahahahahah!!!!!

That Larry, still dumb as hell.

60. who says:

Lowetide: I think he’ll be shy scoring there, but if he can win the trust of the coach and then move up to Leon’s line, maybe he scores 20 with some power-play time. The coach is going to need a nudge though, I expect, when JP is starting to push. Coaches and kids. Lordy.

Might keep his next contract cheaper if they keep him on the third line. I would rather see him be the offensive driver on that line next year. Of course that would require some better performances from the wingers above him.

61. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Andy Dufresne: So if we were to follow the lesson learned so to speak, if presented with an option between Boqvist and Smith………..we’d be taking Boqvist….no?

If the “we” in this is the Oilers, it depends if they rate Smith above Boqvist.

Smith is pretty adept offensively. It’s not like a choice between Karlsson and Teuebert.

62. Woodguy v2.0 says:

rickithebear: That is why Desjardins developed age NHLE curves and league NHLE.
    League NHLE is constant.
    Age NHLE declines as they mature to age 22 were age and league are 1:1.

First time I am aware you use age NHLE.

63. Bank Shot says:

defmn:
    NHL Prospects Watcher
    ‏ @Prospects_Watch
    8m8 minutes ago

I’ve been proposing this for years. It would be a great idea that takes more of the guesswork out of drafting.

I hope they go through with it.

64. Oilman99 says:

OriginalPouzar: Not to mention, Strome’s game is deserving of $3M (or thereabouts).

His point production, and average to below average foot speed warrant nothing over $2.5m. Anything over $3m , let the guy walk.

65. matt says:

“He got nothing done with Curtis Lazar and Mikael Backlund, but other than that scored pretty well for Calgary.”

Way to jinx us for a Strome-for-Lazar trade.

66. Oilman99 says:

pts2pndr: My thinking is that the next best brilliant move once the dust settles after the draft and free agent frenzy will be to remove Chiarelli and replace him with McLellan. Theywill then bring McLellans boy up from the minors as head coach. My guess would be at about or before the 20 game mark. Depending on how well the team starts out of the gate! The power struggle is still alive and well!

67. matt says:

godot10: He hung around Edmonton, not learning English, and sitting in the pressbox. And when they sent him to Bakersfield, he wasn’t learning English, and he wasn’t playing with Anton Lander. He was playing by himself basically, with a couple of nobodies for linemates.

Woodguy v2.0: If JP takes an extra year, that’s ok too, but I don’t think the myriad of questions that surround JP will exist at this time next year if the coach puts in the in the right spot to thrive.

There must have been something very different between the way that SJ managed their players (procurement, development) and what the Oilers do, to explain TMac’s pig-headedness last year. It’s almost like he was expecting folks to adapt to him, rather than adapt his techniques to the talent on the ice. Re development, the Canucks invest in extensive sleep management consultants, for example, whereas the Oilers ignore things like speaking the language. I think there is a lot of low-hanging fruit for the team that can be obtained by using dollars not subject to the cap.

68. Bank Shot says:

matt:
    There must have been something very different between the way that SJ managed their players (procurement, development) and what the Oilers do, to explain TMac’s pig-headedness last year.It’s almost like he was expecting folks to adapt to him, rather than adapt his techniques to the talent on the ice.Re development, the Canucks invest in extensive sleep management consultants, for example, whereas the Oilers ignore things like speaking the language.I think there is a lot of low-hanging fruit for the team that can be obtained by using dollars not subject to the cap.

Peter Chiarelli was the AGM of the Senators and then GM of the Bruins.
    TMAC came from SJ.
    Howson spent time in the Columbus org.
    MacT embraced analytics.

They have guys in the org that all were part of orgs that have been great at producing young talent.
    You would think if there were obvious differences in development practices that the current leaders of the OIlers would have adopted them.

I think perhaps developing NHL talent is more about nature than nurture.

69. €√¥£€^$ says:

Happy Fathers Day everyone!

I had an uncomfortable night sleeping in a tent where I grew up West of e-town last night so I could spend time with my father. He looks good for 78, but after decades of trucking and farming, sitting on the wallet has taken its toll on his right hip. And the hip has caused him issues with his knee. From an early age my wallet has been stored in a front pant pocket. Hopefully most folks do that now as well.

I had many really good moments and lots of shared laughter with him last night and this morning. I don’t go up to see him often enough though. Time sure flies by, but its important not to let the small moments pass you by and take every opportunity to spend time with your loved ones when you can. The work will always be there for you, these opportunities to reconnect will not.

Cheers all!

70. €√¥£€^$ says:

LT,

I appreciate your company on the Keane & Peca train!

71. OriginalPouzar says:

who: Might keep his nextcontract cheaper if they keep him on the third line. I would rather see him be the offensive driver on thatline next year. Of course that would require some better performances from the wingers above him.

I understand the premise and the need to manage the cap going forward, however, if the team, in dire need of top 6 wingers, doesn’t play a highly touted and talented winger in the top 6 after he’s proven ready b/c of worries about his next contract, well that’s not an acceptable way to proceed. Of course, the key there is the player earning it. They can’t keep Jesse in the bottom six due to worry about his next contract – if he’s earned the top 6.

72. leadfarmer says:

Rumblings of Detroit picking Bouchard.
    Excellent Smithers
    Now we need montreal to show up drunk and pick Hayton and things turn up all Leadfarmer

73. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear:
    Leadfarmer:

Just read your question re: d prospects.

2. Who do they play with/against @ even.
    3. Transition passing!
    4. Even offence as a % of linemates production.
    Talked about this years ago on here.
    Now I think it is discussed in terms of team. ( which makes no sense to me)
    5. How much do they abandon Prim responsibility.
    6. Performance to thier side.

Curious who you like in this years draft. Looks like we have the same two forwards double underlined and starred with Svechnikov and Wahlstrom although you expressed it nicely with numbers and I express it with my typical chaotic rumblings.
    I would pick Hughes 3rd overall over Zadina
    Smith
    Dobson
    Bouchard
    Tkachuk
    Farabee

74. Harpers Hair says:

Two contracts that need to go away

€√¥£€^$:
    LT,

I appreciate your company on the Keane & Peca train!

Of course!

76. Oz says:

Oilman99: McLellan’s replacement is already in place if they have a slow start, both ac’s are capable to step up.

And that is what bothers me, Gulutzan is a similar style coach to TMac, so no real upgrade, and then God help us if we then trade for Brouwer

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Trent Yawney also has NHL head coaching experience.

78. digger50 says:

leadfarmer: Curious who you like in this years draft.Looks like we have the same two forwards double underlined and starred with Svechnikov and Wahlstrom although you expressed it nicely with numbers and I express it with my typical chaotic rumblings.
    I would pick Hughes 3rd overall over Zadina
    Actually I would pick
    Dahlen
    Svechnikov
    Hughes
    Wahlstrom
    Zadina
    Boqvist
    Kotkaniemi
    Smith
    Dobson
    Bouchard
    Tkachuk
    Farabee

Tkachuk would be a great pick for the Oil. His upside may not be as high but he’s a ripe banana and could help much sooner.

79. digger50 says:

Happy Father’s Day to all

And condolences so posters who experienced a loss this past year. Was just thinking about you.

80. digger50 says:

Plan b, if no good wingers available, look for a third line center. Bump Strome to wing and Khaira to 4 line center.

New center hopefully could provide more versatility. Penalty kill, 2pp, playbup libe up as needed.

Not trying to put down Strome, just another option if we can find the right guy.

If Looch is out with money to spend. Maroon back, a good third line center and a youngster like Virtanen (Or one of LT’s guys)

OriginalPouzar:
    Trent Yawney also has NHL head coaching experience.

Experience losing. An Eakins-esque record as an NHL coach.

82. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Experience losing.An Eakins-esque record as an NHL coach.

83. Andy Dufresne says:

Woodguy v2.0: If the “we” in this is the Oilers, it depends if they rate Smith above Boqvist.

“It came down to Eric Karlsson or Colton Teubert at 13 and Teubert won even though everyone in the room agreed that Karlsson was offensively very talented.”

They had drafted Doughty and felt the needed some size on the back end too so went with Teubert.

There is no doubt that today everyone in the room would view Boqvist as the player with the higher offensive upside but perhaps the riskier pick……Smith the better all round defensmen today. So to take the moral of the example without the benefit of hindsight the Oilers would have to draft Boqvist. No?

It sounds to me like an almost identical situation as the Ducks found themselves in.

84. commonfan29 says:

Andy Dufresne: Honest question. Do want to re-create the “Era of the Austins” where we gamble by paying in advance of performance? its an interesting question.

I wouldn’t call the Hall-Ebs-Nuge extensions paying in advance of performance, as all of them had already put up solid offensive numbers. It was paying them before they’d been a part of any winning, and there’s certainly a discussion to be had about whether that negatively impacted the team or not.

JP at this moment I see as similar to where Klefbom was before he was extended. That was a “paying in advance of performance” gamble, and that lack of demonstrated performance kept his AAV relatively low.

It would help the future cap situation a lot if the team had a forward version of the Klef contract, provided he turns out.

It’s without question a gamble, but one I think they should at least be carefully evaluating.

85. rickithebear says:

Woodguy v2.0: I don’t use NHLE per se, but rather when comparing players, I always use their age year, not draft eligibility year or years since draft.

I go to modern era of hockey ref season finder.
    To compare peers divided by goals per game rate for that season.

18yr: (g/gm rate for season)
    #1 hawerchuk 81-82 1.29 ppg/(2.54/3.95) .83 ppg
    #2 Crosby 05-06 1.26 /(2.54/2.92) 1.10 ppg
    #3 Francis 81-82 1.15/(2.54/3.95) .74 ppg
    #4 Yzerman 83-84 1.09/(2.54/3.84) .72 ppg
    #7 Laine 16-17 .88/(2.54/2.59) .86 ppg
    #8 RNH 11-12 .84 (2.54)

86. rickithebear says:

godot10: Experience losing.An Eakins-esque record as an NHL coach.

Yawney has experience creating the best def dmen in the league.

87. Side says:

godot10: Experience losing.An Eakins-esque record as an NHL coach.

Todd Nelson has experience losing in the NHL. Does that make him a bad coach?

88. GMB3 says:

Andy Dufresne: I thought part of the point is that Karlsson and Teubert is a hindsight scenario. That Karlsson wasnt rated/ranked that much ahead of Tuebert. Obviously this is true as no one took Karlsson in the first 12 picks.

I think he was responding in saying it’s a different scenario. Teubert had 23 points in 66 games his draft year. Ty Smith has really good offensive numbers still, just maybe not the upside Boqvist has. So it wouldn’t be taking something like size over skill. You’re still getting a skilled player in Smith. Teubert shouldn’t have been a first round pick.

89. JimmyV1965 says:

godot10: Experience losing.An Eakins-esque record as an NHL coach.

Eakins will most likely get another shot at coaching in the NHL. And just because he was a tire fire here, it doesn’t preclude him from doing really well in his next opportunity.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

#4. Dobson-OTT
    #5. Tkachuk-ARI
    #6. Hughes-DET
    #7. Bouchard-VAN
    #8. Wahlstrom-CHI
    #9. Zadina-NYR

Leaving EDM one of Smith, Hayton,Kravtsov or Boqvist at #10.
    I believe they take Hayton or Smith

91. OriginalPouzar says:

McKenzie’s consensus list comes out today and is always a good indication.

He talks to the scounts from 10 teams and gets their lists and basically does an average based on a point system. He puts no stock in to where teams are going to draft and who they might take but its based purely off the scouts rankings.

He said, of the top 12, every single one of them was ranked in the top 5 by at least one scout and that after Dahlin and Svechnikov at 1 and 2, its basically a cluster from 3-12 – that shows how great of a prospect we are going to get at 10.

92. ArmchairGM says:

#4. Dobson-OTT
    #5. Tkachuk-ARI
    #6. Hughes-DET
    #7. Bouchard-VAN
    #8. Wahlstrom-CHI
    #9. Zadina-NYR

Leaving EDM one of Smith, Hayton,Kravtsov or Boqvist at #10.
    I believe they take Hayton or Smith

I HOPE they take Kravtsov or Boqvist, personally.

93. Hot Eire says:

ArmchairGM: I HOPE they take Kravtsov or Boqvist, personally.

Not sold on Kravtsov. Choo choo on the Boqvist train for me!

OriginalPouzar: and in his first full season as an NHL head coach, Scotty Bowman coached his team to a 19-41-1 record – makes Dallas Eakins look like, well, Scotty Bowman.

Don’t know where you got that from.

First season in St. Louis. 23W 21L 14T

Never under 0.500 in his entire NHL head coaching career. except for a 12 game stint in his last year in Buffalo

95. BONE207 says:

Everyone seems so hopped up on this upcoming draft. I’m in Europe & I’m excited too. Maybe though we should start predicting who we might pick in the 20-31 slot. You know, practice for the next, say, 8 years or so? I hope we can make it an annual event.