HARVEST MOON 2018

As the weekend began, the Edmonton Oilers were reportedly contemplating several trades. Oscar Klefbom, No. 10 overall, RNH, all manner of rumors running rampant as Gary Bettman hit the podium. It turned out well, all things considered.

LOWETIDE PROJECTED WEEKEND

• First Round—No. 10 overall—LD Ty Smith, Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
  • Second Round—No. 40 overall—LC Jacob Olofsson, Timra (Allsvenskan).
  • Third Round—No. 71 overall—L Johnny Gruden, U.S.N.D.T.P. (USHL).
  • Fifth Round—No. 133 overallLC Riley Stotts, Calgary Hitmen (WHL).
  • Sixth Round—No. 164 overallR Samuel Fagemo, Frolunda (SuperElite)
  • Seventh Round—No. 195 overallL Paul Cotter, Lincoln Stars (USHL).

This is a fun thing I do on Friday morning, guess the list and see if we can find a match. Three years ago I got two right (McDavid, Bear) and one correct two years ago (Filip Berglund). Last two drafts? Crickets.

• First Round—No. 10 overall—RD Evan Bouchard, London Knights (OHL)
  • Second Round—No. 40 overall—LC Ryan McLeod, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL).
  • Third Round—No. 62 overall—G Olivier Rodrigue, Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL).
  • Sixth Round—No. 164 overallRD Michael Kesselring, New Hampton (USHS).
  • Seventh Round—No. 195 overallL Patrik Siikanen, Blues 2 (Fin Jrs).

HARVEST MOON 2018

• No. 10 overall: RD Evan Bouchard, London Knights (OHL). The best offensive defenseman drafted by the Oilers since, well, umm, it might be Oscar Klefbom and it might be Paul Coffey. That’s the problem with Oilers history, sometimes reality trumps hyperbole. Bouchard’s OHL numbers are as breathtaking and unique as the white cliffs of Dover. He appears to be a substantial piece, after that we’ll have to wait and see how high he flies. NHLE 82, 10-24-34  .414
  • No. 40 overall: LC Ryan McLeod, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL). It’s hard to project him as a pure skill forward (top six F) based on his track record, but at the very least he should be able to cover a depth role in the NHL or a complementary spot on a scoring line. In my opinion, every second round pick should be like this one (or Tyler Benson) unless it’s an historic draft year. NHLE: 82, 10-17-27.
  • No. 62 overall: G Olivier Rodrigue, Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL). Red Line compares him to Corey Crawford, also saying “makes every first save and doesn’t give up softies – shooters have to earn every goal. Outstanding reflexes and quickness around the crease. Lightning fast moving cross-crease, and always under control. Very quick feet and glove.” I see a lot of people dissing the pick, I think it comes down to what we can know. I can’t know this player is an NHL player today, he’s like a prospect pitcher in baseball. You need to see him fly 1,000 sorties, and if he’s still healthy at the end, chances are he can help you a little or a lot.
  • No. 164 overall: RD Michael Kesselring, New Hampton (USHS). One reason I recommend HockeyProspect.com every year is guys like Kesselring. He gets drafted, we’re lost in the supermarket, but the Black Book has information on everybody! He’s a big defenseman, a project, he’s smart and we’ll see if his body and neurons can find a way to rhyme. I’m fine with this kind of pick, it’s late in the draft and maybe he blossoms. Last high school pick? Troy Hesketh, I believe.
  • No. 195 overall: L Patrik Siikanen, Blues 2 (Fin Jrs). Black Book had some game notes from the Five Nations tournament around Valentine’s Day: “Siikanen had a couple of high-end scoring chances while playing on the third line. He continued to find soft spots behind coverage, giving him an additional scoring chance on the right wing. Siikanen didn’t display much in the way of vision but showed plus offensive awareness and had some dangerous moments on the ice today.”

I think the Oilers decided the draft ended around number 70 and it was worth it to deal up and grab a third bona fide prospect. I can’t say it was a mistake, only time will tell. Evan Bouchard has the resume of a player who should be comfortable for a long time on this Oilers team, we’ll see about role but there are many jobs he appears to be qualified for down the line. Ryan McLeod is in that family of good second rounders that includes Tyler Benson. Marco Roy, Tyler Pitlick, Anton Lander and Jeff Petry. Some work out just fine, some sail on. He’s got a chance.

Olivier Rodrigue has a solid resume and the Oilers bought from the Q so they must really like him. The two kids at the end are distant bells and we’ll cheer for them and check in from time to time to make sure they’re doing fine.

A reasonable bet for this draft? Evan Bouchard hangs around a long time and contributes in many ways, McLeod sees the NHL for a time and adjusts enough to have a career. Rodrique? Too many factors, ladies and men. I thought Steve Passmore was going to be a wonder and honestly have no recollection of Tim Thomas in the Oilers’ system. It was a fine weekend. Evan Bouchard is your lead, McLeod and Rodrigue below the fold. We’ll see.

69 Responses to "HARVEST MOON 2018"

1. Rondo says:

LT,

Do you think Bouchard was #2 on the list of D’s in this draft for the Oilers?

Ryan McLeod: 6-2.25, 205.88

Rondo:
    LT,

Do you think Bouchard was#2 on the list of D’s in this draft for the Oilers?

Ryan McLeod: 6-2.25, 205.88

I expect Quinn Hughes was number two.

3. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Thanks for all your work as always Al.

After paying closer attention to the draft over the last few years I have to say I rate your list along with Proman’s, Redline etc.

I don’t you don’t do a lot of scouting, but the math steers you right more than wrong.

Thank you sir.

4. leadfarmer says:

DSF
    That’s dumb
    Lindholm is going to make almost twice what strome does. He needs to almost double Stromes production. Actually with how much more valuable centers are he needs to at least double stromes production especially if he continues getting top pp time and top billing on the top line

5. leadfarmer says:

DSF
    Also I’m not itching for a bet. I’ve just been calling you out on your bullshit for years

6. Woodguy v2.0 says:

I think that’s very fair.

Last year the missed on Hart and traded up to get Skinner.

This year they probably looked at who they had left on their list and thought “fuck it, let’s get our goalie before the next guy”

Sure enough, like most years its started the mini run on goalies with COL taking one two picks later and 3 more going in the 3rd round.

7. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Thought MTL, DET and NYI had good drafts.

Here’s their picks and where they ranked on LT’s list. I think I caught everyone on the list, but may have missed. Lemme know if I did:

MTL

N/A – Iskhakov
    40 – Skarek
    N/A – Pivonka
    N/A – Jenkins
    N/A – Christian

4 inside the top 40 including 2 in the top 10

I think NYI won the draft (aside from BUF and CAR getting franchise altering talents at 1 & 2)

MTL is close due to the volume of high quality picks they got, but I think Wahlstrom and Dobson are a killer combo and Wilde might make it.

8. wheatnoil says:

I don’t know anything about goalies but Rodrigue does have some fairly decent Goals Saved Above Average numbers and is beating his Expected Save Percentage, which is as far as the math can tell with the Voodoo Men, as far as I know. There’s not too many 17 year old starters in the Q and he’s on the young end of them.

I don’t know about trading up and there were some decent prospects worth taking a flyer on on the board but as far as goalies go, this seems like an okay bet. I think I’d feel stronger if I trusted the Oiler’s goalie scouting more.

Edit: The GSAA is from Prospect-stats.com

9. Jaxon says:

Any undrafted players you would sign? For me, it’s Tristen Nielsen and Pavel Gogolev. Nielsen was one of the most productive 5-on-5 players in all of Canadian Junior and the USHL. #7 in primary pts or 60. Fast, energetic. Sign him, Peter!!!

10. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy v2.0:

I think that’s very fair.

Last year the missed on Hart and traded up to get Skinner.

What’s interesting is that they used their 5th and 3rd to trade up (right?). They had their 5th because they gave their 4th to Montreal for playing Montoya too much. One assumes if they had played Montoya a couple less games and kept the 4th, they still might have ended up packaging it with the 3rd to get Rodrigue so it ended up being the same either way.

11. Halfwise says:

LT thank you for your patience, insight and obvious love of the game. This past season I found myself reading this blog and the Athletic more than I was watching the Oilers.

For the coming season, I have some hope, mostly because no one on Kingsway has done anything monumentally stupid. At least, not yet.

12. Spooky Lynx says:

With the NHL pushing to slim down goalie gear I think quick, reactionary tenders might be the way the wind is blowing rather than positional blockers. The Oilers could be trying to get ahead of a trend herewith Rodrigue, rather than fall behind.

I’m likely talking out of my ass here, but goalies are voodoo, so my guess is as good as anyone’s.

13. Stud Muffin says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Skinner and Hart weren’t even in the same draft.

14. Spengler says:

I’ve been quiet but I’ve been reading. Thank you as always for this stellar work. I can’t imagine the hours you put in.

15. Jaxon says:

Woodguy v2.0: Thought MTL, DET and NYI had good drafts.

“Simon Boisvert
    @simonsnake70
    Why isn’t defenseman Nils Lundkvist ranked higher on draft lists? I don’t see much difference between him and fellow D Adam Boqvist. In fact, at the U-18 Five Nations Tournament, I had a slight preference for Lundkvist.

12:20 PM – Mar 8, 2018”

Kravtsov scored at an unparalleled pace in the KHL even before his historic playoff run. His 5-on-5 primary points/60 adjusted to age and league (small sample size alert) was better than any I’ve ever seen, including McDavid, Crosby and Svechnikov. Even if the data is off, it’s still impressive.

16. Spengler says:

Woodguy v2.0,

How much of that is good scouting and how much is quantity of picks? Impressive hauls either way.

17. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer:
    DSF
    Also I’m not itching for a bet.I’ve just been calling you out on your bullshit for years

Yeah…okay…take your ball and go home.

18. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair,

Troll back under the bridge

I don’t think anyone wants to go back to the DSF era of this blog

19. Pescador says:

Thank you Lt for all of your excellent work leading up to & during the draft.
    Every year I look forward to the Oiler selections but it wouldn’t be nearly as enjoyable without the best forum on the internet.
    Thank you for this blog and cor everything you put into it
    Shout out to Jaxon and his awesome posts all weekend.

20. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair,

You don’t bring logic or reason. Arguing every team is better than the oilers and moving goalposts all day long does nothing
    Now we all know if Chia made that trade you would say he’s the biggest idiot but since Calgary did it it’s fine

21. OmJo says:

Very happy with the Bouchard pick at 10 overall. Also didn’t expect to see Ty Smith fall so low. On numbers alone I was sold on Bouchard.

Just don’t screw him up, Oilers. His age and experience wouldn’t have me opposed to the idea of him getting a 9 game look, but even so, I’d send him back for a final year of Jr hockey. I’m afraid they see him as an immediate fit in the lineup.

Defenceman. Take. Longer. To. Develop.

He’s going to be a very special player for years to come if they figure out the formula for developing defencemen!

22. leadfarmer says:

The Islanders win the draft. They completely knocked it out of the park.
    I hope they can sign JT and find a goalie

23. Woogie63 says:

Kinda of excited to watch Driasaitl and Lucic cycle the puck while Quinn Hughes defends.

24. Glass says:

I hope next year we have more picks, and that there is an emphasis on drafting skill forwards (emphasis on shooters). We have a solid goalie pipeline, lots of depth D pieces with a solid top 4 D core moving forward (Klef, Nurse, Larsson, Bouchard). Our top 6 at C is squared away with Nuge, Drai, and McDavid, and lots of potential depth C pieces in the system.

We have some fine two-way wingers in the system, but it would be nice to get some good shooters in as well.

REALLY hope that we hold onto all of Klef, Larsson, Nurse and Bouchard.

I look forward to seeing the gap between Bouchard and Benning in training camp.

25. OmJo says:

RE the Flames-Hurricanes trade

I think the Flames got more for Hamilton than Boston did. Two former 5th overall picks,

Lindholm and Hanifin are younger than Hamilton and Ferland. The production is somewhat similar (taking into consideration the teams they played for, age, etc). Clears up about 7 million in cap space if they want to make a push for say, Carlson or something.

I guess this is how they compensate for losing their first round pick (Noah Dobson).

The Islanders should send Alberta a bouquet of flowers for the team they’ve helped build…

26. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Thought MTL, DET and NYI had good drafts.

Here’s their picks and where they ranked on LT’s list.I think I caught everyone on the list, but may have missed.Lemme know if I did:

MTL

N/A – Iskhakov
    40 – Skarek
    N/A – Pivonka
    N/A – Jenkins
    N/A – Christian

4 inside the top 40 including 2 in the top 10

NYI killed the draft, with special help from the Flames brass.
    Hamonic trade is looking horrific, didn’t they give the islanders an additional draft pick?
    Plus Flames got hosed today as well

27. Rafa Nadal says:

Woodguy v2.0: There’s a reason that 5+ people who did draft stuff at Canucks Army now do it for a living for NHL teams, including the guy who wrote the original “GM vs. A Potato” challenge.

This is interesting. Any more details you can share about this?

Dear Harper: Please stop trolling.

29. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

As usual, fine work LT… great posts today. Thank you.

I just visited the Oilers site for the 1st time in a while, saw some interesting news from earlier today…
    “3 players…Darnell Nurse, Ryan Strome and Anton Slepyshev all tendered their qualifying offers”. So it would appear the likelihood of Strome staying is certainly higher. Anyone think there’s still a chance Anton stays or was this just a formality to maintain control?

Holes to fill . . . trades are surely coming. I’m afraid, very afraid. Was kinda glad Chia kept his gun holstered today.

30. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Stud Muffin:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Skinner and Hart weren’t even in the same draft.

You’re right.

I was conflating similar stories from the 2016 and 2017 draft.

Read/heard EDM was interested in Hart, but PHI took him at 48 and they kicked themselves in the ass for not moving up to grab him.

Then in 2017 they heard PHI wanted Skinner at 80 so they moved up from 82 to 78 to grab him.

Traded with ARI and got 78 by adding the 125th.

PHI ended up taking G Ustimenko at 80.

Thanks for the correction.

31. Rafa Nadal says:

Seems like Pronman isn’t enmored with the Oilers draft haul this weekend. I still really wish they’d taken Wahlstrom instead. What do you guys see as Bouchard’s ceiling? I’m thinking an offensive #3-4 at best. I think Wahlstrom has the potential to score 30-35 goals in the NHL, especially if he were on McDavid’s wing. To me that’s more valuable and more worthy of a top 10 pick.

32. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Spengler:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Some of both for sure.

Its one thing to have the picks, its another to make em count.

33. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jaxon: I also really like NYR’s picks. They grabbed 4 players I thought were very underrated in K’Andre Miller, Jacob Ragnarsson, Vitali Kravtsov, and Nils Lundkvist. They grabbed one of the top goalies in Lindblom and the rest were decent picks, especially Keane and Gross. I thought LHD Miller should have been in the top 3-5 D on the draft conversation (Mitch Brown’s tracking work really shows Miller in a class of his own). RHD Ragnarsson produced at a damn good pace this season, too. Lundkvist had some scouts intrigued:

“Simon Boisvert
    @simonsnake70Why isn’t defenseman Nils Lundkvist ranked higher on draft lists? I don’t see much difference between him and fellow D Adam Boqvist.In fact, at the U-18 Five Nations Tournament, I had a slight preference for Lundkvist.

12:20 PM – Mar 8, 2018”

Yup, they did well too

34. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pescador,

Hamonic trade is looking horrific,

While Hamonic started slow he carried Brodie’s ass to a 51.3% CF last year and is still under contract for 2 more years at $3.8. (Brodie was 47.9% away from Hamonic, Hamonic was 52.8% away from Brodie)

If you think your window is “now” that’s not a bad trade.

Not a great one, but far from “killed” imo.

I don’t think GIo-Brodie version 19-20 will be near version 14-15 and if CGY doesn’t upgrade 1RD it will hurt them.

Their 2nd pair will be better with Hanifin-Hamonic than Brodie-Hamonic

Note: Peters already said today that’s his top 4.

35. Pescador says:

Rafa Nadal:
    Seems like Pronman isn’t enmored with the Oilers draft haul this weekend. I still really wish they’d taken Wahlstrom instead. What do you guys see as Bouchard’s ceiling? I’m thinking an offensive#3-4 at best. I think Wahlstrom has the potential to score 30-35 goals in the NHL, especially if he were on McDavid’s wing. To me that’s more valuable and more worthy of a top 10 pick.

Hard to argue with your logic as it is completely reasonable,
    my counter points; is Whalstrom infinitely better then JP?
    Drafting Bouchard has likely pulled Klefbom off the trade block

36. Jaxon says:

If they’re not making a big splash in trades or free agency I’d be okay with two small signings in Grabner and Sproul and also one or both of Tristen Nielsen and Pavel Gogolev as mentioned above.

37. Wilde says:

Rafa Nadal:

I wanted Walhstrom too, but could plausibly believe they’d decide they have too many good RW’s at that point and trade Puljujarvi or believe some other rancid, vomit inducing concept like that.

Not sure they can fuck up Bouchard, honestly.

Ditto for Ty Smith. Liked him better than Bouchard, but there’s the skilled depth allergic reaction to consider.

38. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Pescador,

Hamonic trade is looking horrific,

If you think your window is “now” that’s not a bad trade.

Not a great one, but far from “killed” imo.

Their 2nd pair will be better with Hanifin-Hamonic than Brodie-Hamonic

Note: Peters already said today that’s his top 4.

My point was more about what Cgy gave up,
    not about Hamonic being a bad dman.
    That being said, no Oilers fan should ever crow about a price that was paid for another team’s defense man.
    Lordy, time for bed

39. Woogie63 says:

In the not two distant future this drafts “what were we thinking” posts will be;

1. Montréal and Arizona forced C3/C4ish to the top of the list, because they priorized that position.
    2. Very small dmen can’t defend against bigger fast NHL forwards.

40. Wilde says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I go like this:

MTL
    DET
    NYI

TOR
    NYR
    CHI

41. Melman says:

Where did the FLA kid go who refused t sign? (I forget his name)

42. Wilde says:

Melman:
    Where did the FLA kid go who refused t sign? (I forget his name)

Texas

43. Biggus Dickus says:

McLeod screams Pitlick to me. Say what you want about this organization, but they do not care about optics, either that, or they didn’t think that more nepotism would result in pushback.

44. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Rafa Nadal: This is interesting. Any more details you can share about this?

Florida Panthers hired Josh Weissbock, Cam Lawrence and Rys Jessop to do quanitative draft work for them, they all wrote for Canucks Army. Rhy did the “potato” bit here: https://canucksarmy.com/2014/06/26/sham-sharron-takes-over-all-30-draft-tables/

Florida’s VP Communications & Public Relations is Thomas Drance. He got his start at Canucks Army too.

I think there is at least one more, but I forget who.

I still chat with some of these guys occasionally on twitter as I’ve followed them (and most of them followed me) for years before they got hired.

Pretty sharp people who are also pretty funny.

45. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pescador: My point was more about what Cgy gave up,
    not about Hamonic being a bad dman.
    Lordy, time for bed

I’m not crowing about the price anyone paid for anything.

You said the Hamonic trade was horrific, I have a different opinion and supported it.

That’s all.

I didn’t state an opinon on that trade other than Brodie won’t be as good as Hamilton at 1RD and Hanifin will be better than Brodie at 2LD.

Never mentioned price at all.

The only mention of price was you here:

Hamonic trade is looking horrific

And here:

Plus Flames got hosed today as well

So I’m really confused what you are referring to in regards to “crowing”

46. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Wilde:
    Woodguy v2.0,

I go like this:

MTL
    DET
    NYI

TOR
    NYR
    CHI

Haven’t looked closely at TOR, NYR (other than Jaxon’s re-cap) or CHI.

I’ll trust you on that.

47. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’m not crowing about the price anyone paid for anything.

That’s all.

Never mentioned price at all.

The only mention of price was you here:

Hamonic trade is looking horrific

And here:

Plus Flames got hosed today as well

So I’m really confused what you are referring to in regards to “crowing”

No no mis understood,
    I was the one crowing about what Cgy paid for Hamonic in my failed attempt to troll DSF.
    But it’s interesting that you read my post as directed toward you somehow?

48. dustrock says:

Perhaps the first Oilers draft where I didn’t love any of their picks but didn’t hate any either?

Pronman gave them a B- and I think that’s pretty solid. A lot of teams out there got a worse grade.

At least all picks were within the range.

Have to say I’m a little confused about drafting Rodrigue and then trading for Mr. Hockey later today. How many goalie prospects do we possibly need?

Also have to say I think McLeod has to be considered a better prospect than Pitlick.

49. --hudson-- says:

Thanks to Jaxon, Wilde, LT, everyone who stirred so much interest in the draft.

Glad to see the Oilers stay on target. 3 years too late, but better late than never.

50. YKOil says:

Good with the Oilers haul. Happy with Bouchard.

Best drafts belong to: Mtl, the NY’s and Detroit. Buffalo by default.

Agree with sentiments re: Islanders owing Alberta a gift basket and the Oilers starting this drafts run on tenders.

Good with trade for the extra tender as well (with Ellis retiring and I don’t think Montoya will be present all the year).

Between Reinhart and Hamonic trade… basically gave the Isles a top line and half a top-flight d-pair. F*@k me. If Tavares stays, that right there is probably 40% of the reason why.

51. trencan says:

It was ok draft. Very hypotheticaly my BPA based on Oilers draft position would be:

1.Wahlstrom
    2.Addison
    3.Skarek
    5.Saigeon
    6.Zavgorodni
    7.doesnt matter who, seriously dont know

But its allways very difficult to predict who will be available in next round and how your decision can change decisions of other teams.

Bouchard wasnt my favourite pick, I believe he will be usefull NHL player in the future with cca 20 points per season. I really dont expect future D1, but hope for second pairing D man, he has size, shot and good passing/vision.

Still missing the sexy factor in our defense – puckmoving D man with good hands and skating (someone like Quinn Hughes or Adam Boqvist in this draft).

Edit: 7. round – Oliver Okuliar – undrafted kid with good numbers in juniors and last WJC U18 (maybe little bit inflated by playing with Maxim Cajkovic on the same line during tournament)

52. trencan says:

Wilde:
    Woodguy v2.0,

I go like this:

MTL
    DET
    NYI

TOR
    NYR
    CHI

I think Montreal didnt pick BPA in first round (Kotkaniemi). I dont expect them to be any better next year and if you make a quick look at draft 2019 and if you want to find a tough #1 center, that’s the draft to do it.

53. SwedishPoster says:

I think the Kings had a quietly good draft.

I’m also one of the few, it seems, who thought Filip Johansson was picked around where he should have. I believe Wild will be very happy with him in a few years. Smart and toolsy, great trajectory this season.

I also don’t remember any kind of soccer being played last night.

54. SwedishPoster says:

Oh, and philly got a steal when they picked up Marcus Westfält late in the 7th. I’m willing to bet he finds NHL work in some capacity with a pretty decent chance it’s as a top 6 forward. To grab that potential while also being, imo, a somewhat safe bet late in the 7th is damn good.

55. Marc says:

Woodguy v2.0,

A point of interest on Carolina I’m not sure I’ve seen pointed out yet.

Faulk’s contract is structured so that he actually get’s paid more cash over the next two years than the cap hit. He’s due to be paid $6M in each of the next two years – all salary, no signing bonus.

That’s the exact opposite of the structure of Lucic’s contract. A straight up trade after July 1 would save them $2.5M this season. If the Oilers retain $1M of salary per year then Carolina’s total cash outlay for five years of Lucic would be just $5.5M more than what Faulk is due himself.

For what’s it’s worth I don’t think they would want one of the Oilers LD. I suspect they moved Hanifan because they knew his next deal would be $4M+ per and have two guys on ELCs in Fleury and Bean that they think can fill the 2LD spot for $3M a year less than that. Even if you bridge Nurse I suspect the all of the Oilers’ LD earn more than Carolina is willing to pay for that position.

56. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pescador: No no mis understood,
    But it’s interesting that you read my post as directed toward you somehow?

Ahh.

Well you didn’t specify who “crowed” and since the conversation was with me, I assumed it was me.

That said, don’t feel like because Peter lost his shirt a few times that you can’t have an opinion on trades by other teams.

Of course you can.

New this morning for The Athletic The Oilers are finally over walkabout picks in the early rounds

58. Surly says:

Pescador: brass

Correct re: one other piece to NYI re: Harmonic:

Calgary acquired Hamonic from New York for a 2018 first round pick, a 2018 second round pick and either a second round pick in 2019 or 2020

Flames also get a 4th in either 2019 or 2020 in return.

59. Surly says:

Pescador: NYI killed the draft, with special help from the Flames brass.
    Plus Flames got hosed today as well

Correct re: one other piece to NYI re: Harmonic:
    Flames also get a 4th in either 2019 or 2020 in return.

60. Woodguy v2.0 says:

trencan: I think NYI and DET are winners of this draft for me. Ok, also BUFF because of Dahlin.

Goaltending is a massive part of team success (or lack thereof)

Price played 49 games and put up a .900 last year.

If he plays ~ 60 at a .923 (his ave SV% for 3 years previous) next year I doubt MTL is in a spot to grab a guy as good as Kotkaniemi at the 2019 draft.

Niemi went 7-5-4 for them last year putting up a .929

I think the over riding theme for them was “bird in hand is worth two in the bush”

61. JimmyV1965 says:

Call me a knuckle dragger, but I’m not convinced these small, speedy dmen are the way to go in the NHL. I still remember the way Drai just absolutely manhandled Girard last year. There was really nothing he could do to get the puck from him. He didn’t have the reach with his stick and he was helpless physically. Girard did have a good overall game that night. I’m glad we weren’t an early adapter when it comes to this movement to small speedy dmen.

62. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Marc:
    Woodguy v2.0,

A point of interest on Carolina I’m not sure I’ve seen pointed out yet.

Interesting stuff.

I’m not sure they’re going to bet on Fleury to play 2LD. If they do that and Bean as a raw rookie (no AHL experience either) at 3LD they’re in for a long season.

I’ll bet Waddell wants a vet at 2LD, Fleury at 3LD (like he played last year) and Bean starting in the AHL.

I could be wrong.

63. Woodguy v2.0 says:

JimmyV1965:
    Call me a knuckle dragger, but I’m not convinced these small, speedy dmen are the way to go in the NHL. I still remember the way Drai just absolutely manhandled Girard last year. There was really nothing he could do to get the puck from him. He didn’t have the reach with his stick and he was helpless physically. Girard did have a good overall game that night.I’m glad we weren’t an early adapter when it comes to this movement to small speedy dmen.

Knuckledragger, (you said I could :D)

Girard just turned 20 in May, so he was 19 when Drai owned him.

I think that’s on the team and not the player.

Good smaller Dmen like Dumba, Ellis, Goligoski, Stralman, Orlov, Entstrom, Vatanen, Barrie, Spurgeon, Krug etc usually have one thing in common.

They didn’t start taking a regular NHL shift until their early 20’s and weren’t top 4 until 23 or so.

Smaller Dman can compete in the NHL, but putting them out there as teenagers is asking for trouble imo.

I don’t think the NHL is moving towards smaller Dmen more than they are not discounting them like they used to.

Large slower Dmen are getting killed on the score sheet in today’s NHL so the trend is towards better skating Dmen, and often if a 5″9-5’11” Dman has got to the point where he’s one of the best of his age group he probably *had to* be an above average skater to get there, whereas the larger guys don’t have to have that as one of their best attributes.

So its more survivor bias than anything.

If a short Dmen is one of the best he’s an above average skater.

The NHL is trending towards Dmen all being above average skaters

Therefore more shorter Dmen are being taken in spots where they were passed over before.

64. deardylan says:

Panama has now officially overtaken Canada in terms of goals scored…. #WorldCup @CanadaSoccerEN

Smile breaking out seeing Panama score their first ever World Cup Goal and crowd that travelled so far goes nuts even though they lose by a hockey score. Did anyone else see that reaction?!

Wonder if any of us will be there to witness live when Canada scores their first ever one in 2026? 🙂

65. Professor Q says:

deardylan:

Smile breaking out seeing Panama score their first ever World Cup Goal and crowd that travelled so far goes nuts even though they lose by a hockey score.Did anyone else see that reaction?!

Hopefully the first goal comes earlier, in 2022!

66. deardylan says:

I hear you Professor! Wonder if Canadians might melt if they make it to Qatar 2022?

67. defmn says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Montreal definitely took a chance with their first pick but imo the idea that you always take the BPA has run into the reality of how difficult it is to make trades in the NHL since the cap became a prominent feature of the landscape.

And since the coaching of structured play has magnified the importance of centres even more than in the past it adds to the incentive to draft for need.

So I think Bergeron asked himself if taking Zadina and watching him blossom into a 30-35 goal scorer in the next few years can get him a #1 centre in trade and for me the answer to that question is no. A #2 centre? Not likely either imo.

So then he has to ask himself if Kotkaniemi has the potential to be a #2 centre in a few years and the answer for me is ‘probably’.

If this is his thought process then he has to ask what is the cost of trading for a #2 centre and his recent conversation with Buffalo has probably led to the decision that drafting one is the most cost effective way to proceed.

I doubt the fans in Montreal see it this way but to me this was a pick where Bergeron clearly put the needs of the team ahead of personal professional considerations since it might cost him his job and will definitely cost him many nights sleep..

68. Dominoiler says:

Thanks so much, LT

The draft is so much more enjoyable having half a clue about some of the players, not having to rely on the talking heads completely..

I haven’t read this once, but was slightly disappointed that the oil picked up bouchard over dobson; i believe simon boisivert (sp?) knocked bouchard, which swayed my opinion, but overall i can’t really complain.. nice that bouchard projects to be a pp qb, so could fill many needs for the org..

69. Dominoiler says:

defmn,

Good points ..

My take on Montreal drafting for need at centre.. sure, it doesn’t solve their roster problems next season (as bouchard doesn’t for the oilers either) but Montreal will need centres the next year and the year after that.. whomever they bring in will need support in the coming years and Montreal needs a pipeline of young centres (w size) to get them out of their 10 year long groundhog day.. i think it makes sense.. because, as you pointed out, the trade route for such players just isn’t there or reliable..

now if Montreal doesn’t send him back to Finland, i think that could cost bergivan his job, assuming kot struggles to develop in the nhl..