OILERS AT 195: PATRIK SIIKANEN

Red Line Report ranked him No. 311. Elite Prospects page.

132 Responses to "OILERS AT 195: PATRIK SIIKANEN"

1. Yeti says:

Love this pick!

2. Yeti says:

“I think the biggest concern with Siikanen is his skating. He is not slow when he gets his feet going but his overall mobility, agility and first steps are not on the required level. On the offensive side he has fairly good skills. He can protect the puck and he knows where to go, but he lacks sharpness. Also his passing game left a lot to be desired. Often his passes didn’t connect or went directly to the opponent’s skates and those situations caused some unnecessary giveaways. But as the goals highlighted, he is really good in front of the net. Siikanen is big and strong player for this level. And even though I would like to see more physicality from him, he already utilizes his size well.”

3. Pretendergast says:

Fix Wolansky to Columbus

4. JOFA says:

Calgary Carolina interesting

5. trencan says:

Surprised Zavgorodny was available in 7th round. Good pick by Calgary. I wish we picked him in 6th/7th round.

6. belcolt says:

Aapeli Rasanen (Draft year)
    Tappara U20 Jr. A SM-liiga 50 19 19 38
    PPG: 0.76

Patrik Siikanen
    Blues U20 Jr. A SM-liiga 24 10 7 17
    PPG: 0.71

Similar players offensively in their draft years. Let’s hope we get a good look at Siikanen at the WJC-20 a la Rasanen.

7. SoxandOil says:

I’d love for chia to make a deal with Carolina now. Ideally for Hamilton. Some thing like
    Lucic + JP + Bear for Hamilton and Skinner
    Or
    Lucic for Faulk
    Or
    Lucic + Bear for Faulk and Skinner

Something in that vein

8. Woodguy v2.0 says:

So CAR has 4 RHD (Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, TVR) and 1 LHD (Slavin)

They are almost perfected built for a trade with EDM.

9. admiralmark says:

SoxandOil:
    Lucic + JP + Bear for Hamilton and Skinner
    Or
    Lucic for Faulk
    Or
    Lucic + Bear for Faulk and Skinner

I think I’m starting to see a trend with your proposed trades here? You are a definitely a Carolina fan and you want Lucic! So transparent. 😛

Something in that vein

10. belcolt says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Klefbom for Faulk? Not saying I’d do it, but I feel like it could be lining up.

11. admiralmark says:

SoxandOil:
    Lucic + JP + Bear for Hamilton and Skinner
    Or
    Lucic for Faulk
    Or
    Lucic + Bear for Faulk and Skinner

Something in that vein

12. Glass says:

Sekera for Faulk. Maybe we add a little. I’m not interested in trading either one of Nurse/Klef.

13. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    So CAR has 4 RHD (Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, TVR) and 1 LHD (Slavin)

They are almost perfected built for a trade with EDM.

Luc Klef for Skinner Faulk

14. Alpine says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    So CAR has 4 RHD (Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, TVR) and 1 LHD (Slavin)

They are almost perfected built for a trade with EDM.

I think you’ve said TVR could handle seconds? I think he’s the best target out of the group since he fits better with the cap.

15. SoxandOil says:

admiralmark,

Exactly.

Even better would be Lucic and Russell plus sweeteners for Hamilton and Skinner. Then nurse could be signed long term

16. JimmyV1965 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    So CAR has 4 RHD (Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, TVR) and 1 LHD (Slavin)

They are almost perfected built for a trade with EDM.

17. JimmyV1965 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    So CAR has 4 RHD (Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, TVR) and 1 LHD (Slavin)

They are almost perfected built for a trade with EDM.

18. JimmyV1965 says:

I definitely would not want to trade Klef or Nurse for Faulk. Would prefer to but cheaper with TVR or McKeown.

19. Woodguy v2.0 says:

I would pay:

Klefbom or Nurse for Hamilton or Pesce

Sekera or Russell for Faulk or TVR (preferably TVR)

20. Woodguy v2.0 says:

JimmyV1965: And that’s not even counting McKeown. I wonder if Kassian would scratch their itch at all now that they have Ferland.

I’m still holding on to my Lucic on July 1st dream.

If Waddell and Peter decided to deal it could be a big one.

21. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I maintain if we trade with Carolina it will include Talbot for Darling.

I also still think it will be Klefbom for Brett Connolly.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

They also got very good prospect Fox (RHD) in the CGY deal. McKenzie said he might sign this summer.

Sounded like he told CGY he wouldn’t sign there.

23. russ99 says:

Tomorrow is the QO deadline for RFAs so we should find out about Strome one way or the other.

24. npanciroli says:

Weekend has been good so far. Great draft overall and didn’t overpay for a defenceman. TVR would be my choice also. Sekera or Russell.

25. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Carolina also has Fleury on the back end. I’m not a fan but they seem to like him.

26. John Chambers says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’m still holding on to my Lucic on July 1st dream.

If Waddell and Peter decided to deal it could be a big one.

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Carolina also has Fleury on the back end.I’m not a fan but they seem to like him.

And Jake Bean

28. Scungilli Slushy says:

I can’t see PC looking for a long term RHD now. Bouchard should need at least a year in junior, Faulk has 2 years left so the timing works. I don’t want Faulk, it’s more that the Canes have had Faulk and Skinner available.

Perhaps the Canes see Russell as a tough guy because of his style and see value in Lucic. With a sweetener maybe they could ditch those 2 contracts and get Skinner Faulk. The cap works and the Canes would save cash after July 1, by my calcs 4M next season. Cap hit is 10.558 for the Canes guys, 10 for the Oilers.

They have 24M in cap to sign 9 players. They spent 59M last season, I think cash matters to them still.

29. russ99 says:

Wow, what a goal. Germany down to 10 men.

It is possible that Tobias Rider won’t be qualified, because of the Kovalchuk signing.

I still think he is a great fit for the Oilers, even more if he becomes a UFA.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:

I’m sure both Strome and Nurse will be QOs but that doesn’t really mean anything as far as negotiations go – maybe he just accepts it and we have him for 1 year at $3M.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

John Chambers: I worry that adding Hamilton and Ferland scratches their itch for size and the Lucic option is no longer viable.

Hamilton adds size but not any of the attributes that mangers like about size – he can sure put up points but is a buttery soft big man.

33. ArmchairGM says:

Bleeding Talent, v4.0:

Klefbom for Faulk

34. russ99 says:

ArmchairGM:
    Bleeding Talent, v4.0:

Klefbom for Faulk

Klefbom and Lucic for Faulk and Skinner less so.

Drafting Bouchard yesterday doesn’t mean we’re done.

35. ArmchairGM says:

russ99: Klefbom and Lucic for Faulk and Skinner less so.

That’s not the way Chiarelli rolls in late June trades.

36. trencan says:

russ99:
    Wow, what a goal. Germany down to 10 men.

Pretty good match… Germany shows character…

37. Jaxon says:

Wow, very shocked that Tristen Nielsen and Pavel Gogolev did not get picked. Can we invite them to camp and sign them?

38. Rondo says:

@EdmontonOilers
    6m6 minutes ago
    The #Oilers have acquired goalie Hayden Hawkey from @CanadiensMTL in exchange for a 5th round selection at the 2019 #NHLDraft. Hawkey went 24-12-3 with a 2.04 GAA & .919 save % as a junior with @FriarsHockey in 2017-18.

39. Rondo says:

Now trade Strome for Jacob De La Rose.

40. JimmyV1965 says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’m still holding on to my Lucic on July 1st dream.

If Waddell and Peter decided to deal it could be a big one.

Good things like that never seem to happen to the Oil. Sigh. Please please please make it happen.

41. Wilde says:

Acquisition focus is tilted a little too far towards G&D instead of good math forwards so far this summer IMO

42. ArmchairGM says:

Rondo:
    @EdmontonOilers6m6 minutes ago

What’s with getting all these goalies? I thought we needed forwards.

43. JimmyV1965 says:

ArmchairGM:
    Bleeding Talent, v4.0:

Klefbom for Faulk

It looks to me like the Oil have their core dmen now.

Klef-Larsson
    Nurse-Bouchard

It makes zero sense to screw with this at all. It’s actually a well balanced impressive top four.

44. ArmchairGM says:

That’s 5 picks in 3 consecutive drafts spent on 3 goalies.

45. ArmchairGM says:

JimmyV1965:
    It makes zero sense

Which is exactly why Chiarelli will do it.

46. dannyboy says:

Perhaps sekera or russel for faulk? If they would waive there NMC’s

47. OilSafety says:

The problem with any deal involving lucic and faulk is lucic has the big pay day July 1 and faulks ntc kicks in July 1

48. ArmchairGM says:

ArmchairGM:
    That’s 5 picks in 3 consecutive drafts spent on 3 goalies.

… seems excessive.

49. Primetime says:

OilSafety:

June 30th trade announcement:

Justin Faulk for Milan “Future Considerations” Lucic

50. Primetime says:

I actually agree that Sekera for Faulk is a deal that helps both teams. Not sure what offers they have already received for Faulk…i would assume underwhelming or it would have been done by now…

51. Jethro Tull says:

JimmyV1965: It looks to me like the Oil have their core dmen now.

Klef-Larsson
    Nurse-Bouchard

If Bouchard is our 2RD opening night 2018, we will have learnt nothing…..NOTHING.

Like Yamamoto last year, if he earns a look for a few games at the beginning as a heavily sheltered 3RD PP specialist, then Ok.

I would say McLeod is more NHL ready for a 4th line spot than Bouchard is at the moment.

I hope I’m wrong, because that would mean we have solid scoring on the back end, and as they go, so the team goes. With balanced scoring, it’s more than likely the team will ve in a good league position.

I would tend towards him not being quite ready.

52. Jethro Tull says:

Primetime:
    I actually agree that Sekera for Faulk is a deal that helps both teams.Not sure what offers they have already received for Faulk…i would assume underwhelming or it would have been done by now…

If Sekera returns to anything like form, that’s a terrible deal.

53. Scungilli Slushy says:

Jethro Tull: If Sekera returns to anything like form, that’s a terrible deal.

They played together in NC, he would be a good partner on the Oil for Faulk, maybe bring his game back around.

Nurse Larsson
    Sekera Faulk
    Russell Benning

Or better
    Klefbom Larsson
    Sekera/Nurse Faulk
    Sekera/Nurse Benning

based on what they seem to think works.

54. Jethro Tull says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I like your second D line up there. But I also like having a 3rd pairing with a prospect on. Like Bear. Don’t want the AHL problem of vets in the way of development.

55. Primetime says:

Jethro Tull: If Sekera returns to anything like form, that’s a terrible deal.

On paper I agree, but I think GM’s think in a more multi-faceted way.

Deal helps Oil by:
    – Gives better LHD vs RHD balance
    – Lose extra year of Sekera contract when age/health unlikely to be a “value contract”
    – Gives 2 year cover for Bouchard. If he progresses faster, can trade Faulk as a deadline deal
    – Need to move/shift money on the blue line and Russell is going NOWHERE

I like Sekera a lot, but the overall result on and off the ice tilts to this deal being helpful in my opinion

56. RonnieB says:

Question for the CBA experts:

As i understand it, if a CHL draftee is under 20, he can be kept in the NHL for a trial of up to 9 games; then a decision has to be made whether to keep him in the NHL or return him to junior. What happens if a kid ( eg. Bouchard on Oct. 20, 2019 ) is 19 when the season starts but turns 20 during his trial ? Could he then be assigned to the AHL or does he have to return to junior ( assuming he doesn’t make the NHL team ) because he was just 19 when the season began ?

57. €√¥£€^$ says:

Jethro Tull,

He’s not ready, 2 more years and we’ll see

58. OilSafety says:

I might be wrong in Faulk NMC. .. I read it somewhere but CapFriendly doesn’t show it.

OilSafety:

59. Ryan says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    I would pay:

Klefbom or Nurse for Hamilton or Pesce

Sekera or Russell for Faulk or TVR (preferably TVR)

Which of these trades would you make if you were Don Waddell?

60. vinotintazo says:

RonnieB,

think of it as the same as Draisaitl in 2014. He got a 9 game look, should have been sent back to junior. They kept him for 37 games and decided he was not ready, they could not send him to the AHL so he went back to junior.

Next Year he was sent to Bakersfield to start the season.

For Bouchard is either NHL or Junior this year. Next year is NHL or AHL.

61. Professor Q says:

RonnieB:
    Question for the CBA experts:

As i understand it, if a CHL draftee is under 20, he can be kept in the NHL for a trial of up to 9 games; then a decision has to be made whether to keep him in the NHL or return him to junior. What happens if a kid ( eg. Bouchardon Oct. 20, 2019 ) is 19 when the season starts but turns 20 during his trial ? Could he then be assigned to the AHL or does he have to return to junior ( assuming he doesn’t make the NHL team ) because he was just 19 when the season began ?

He could go to the AHL for the entire season in 2019-2020 (where he’d be turning 20). The cutoff date is 20 years of age by December 31st of that current season (and/or having played 4 CHL seasons).

Are you suggesting he be kept in the OHL for this coming season, maybe have some AHL time at the end of the year, use up his 9 games at the beginning of the next season (2019), then go to the AHL?

All assuming that he signs his ELC. Though I guess it wouldn’t matter as he’d be playing pro anyway, so he’d have a two-way contract to play in the NHL, AHL, or ECHL. I’m not sure if he’d be able to go back to the OHL once he plays in the AHL after his 9 NHL games in this scenario (nor, one would assume, he’d need to). Even if he’d technically be able to be an overager.

62. Ryan says:

Jethro Tull: If Sekera returns to anything like form, that’s a terrible deal.

At this point, Sekera has 3 more years left at 5.5 m. Last year he was a pylon and there’s no guarantee he’ll ever skate well again.

Faulk had a bad year last year, but he’s 26 with no surgically repaired acl at 4.83 cap x2 years.

Honestly, Carolina would be insane to make this trade taking on this risk.

63. slopitch says:

Sekera to Carolina makes sense. He played well there and Carolina i think would welcome him back

Lucic + Sekera + 2019 2nd for Tvr + Skinner.
    Resign Maroon for 4×2.

I suspect that’s not enough for Carolina but it would be nice.

Good draft overall. Land a solid RHD prospect. A good F prospect. And made reasonable bets overall. The goalie prospect wasn’t a reach so I won’t dwell on the org connection. Now let’s sign a college FA or 2 and giddyup.

64. RonnieB says:

Professor Q,

Yes that is what i was suggesting. Thanks for the info.

65. RonnieB says:

vinotintazo:
    RonnieB,

think of it as the same as Draisaitl in 2014. He got a 9 game look, should have been sent back to junior. They kept him for 37 games and decidedhe was not ready, they could not send him to the AHL so he went back to junior.

Next Year he was sent to Bakersfield to start the season.

ForBouchard is either NHL or Junior this year. Next year is NHL or AHL.

Not the same thing. The Draisaitl decision was made before he turned 20.

66. leadfarmer says:

Now I’m excited for the flames to give Lindholm more than 5 mil a year

67. RonnieB says:

20 year old Yamamoto teammate Hudson Elyniuk went undrafted. I wonder if he is worth a shot on an AHL contract. Has posted some decent scoring numbers.

68. N64 says:

Rondo:
    @EdmontonOilers6m6 minutes ago

Just Perfect. Hawkey should be call Goalie. QED.

69. Professor Q says:

RonnieB:

Why not? Elynuik and Yamamoto and Puljujärvi…

Great name. Legacy player. Huge. Familar with other team members.

70. Jethro Tull says:

Ryan: Well, Sekera for Faulk is deal you take every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Honestly, Carolina would be insane to make this trade taking on this risk.

Is this the same Faulk that gets caved in every metric we hold dear?

One more thing….I’d take Peter Faulk over Justin.

*Shameless Columbo joke*

71. --hudson-- says:

John Shannon
    ‏Verified account @JSportsnet

Edmonton Oilers have extended qualifying offers to the following three players:
    – Darnell Nurse
    – Anton Slepyshev
    – Ryan Strome

72. Jethro Tull says:

–hudson–,

Sleppy?

73. deardylan says:

JOFA:
    Calgary Carolina interesting

Despair lames most teams but it wakes other fully up

Todays trade is FLAME ON!! Who gets burned? Who becomes Johnny Torch?

With so few early picks in draft for Flames… looks like Flames decided to shake it up.

Could it be a Win+Win with Carolina getting the long term win with The Fox?

Anyone have any opinions on this trade and how it will affect us when playing the Lames or is it the Flames for years to come ? Please share!!

74. Wilde says:

Jethro Tull:
    –hudson–,

Sleppy?

Extends our rights to him, pretty sure

75. russ99 says:

deardylan: Despair lames most teams but it wakes other fully up

Todays trade is FLAME ON!!Who gets burned?Who becomes Johnny Torch?

Could it be a Win+Win with Carolina getting the long term win with The Fox?

Hamilton – Hanifin is a wash and Hanifin is an RFA that needs to be signed.

Lindholm is the key. Not sure why Carolina would move a quality two-way center considering what they now value there.

76. Wilde says:

deardylan: Despair lames most teams but it wakes other fully up

Todays trade is FLAME ON!!Who gets burned?Who becomes Johnny Torch?

Could it be a Win+Win with Carolina getting the long term win with The Fox?

Hamilton is the best player in the deal and the only elite one.

Carolina wins, handily.

Flames were in a tough spot due to being too sensitive to locker room issues, and Fox not wanting to sign with him.

In terms of team composition moving forward?

Calgary’s forwards look better, with the possibility to ice two great lines again, but will continue to struggle with a below-average bottom 6.

They also have broken up a top-5 top pairing in the league, and now will likely look to ice their premier pairing from before Dougie’s arrival: Giordano-Brodie.

They were just okay as a top pairing, and this was with Gio ~2-3 years younger.

As a guess, if they ice their defence with what they currently have, it’d look something like this:

Giordano – Brodie

Hanifin – Hamonic

Kulak – Stone

Hanifin’s an underrated 5v5 puck mover, especially getting out of his own zone, and should help Hamonic as he struggles in that area sometimes(Larsson-lite, can separate man from puck but often doesn’t find teammate’s tape soon after, unless it’s a D-to-D).

This is… Not an improvement.

They do get a possible successor to Gio, as Hanifin has great results for a 20 year old, but that really shouldn’t have been in the short term plans as they should be attempting to win now.

Losing Fox is brutal, though. One of the most potent outside-the-NHL PP quarterbacks, would have gone in the tail end of the first round or early second in the 2018 draft where we saw GM’s aggressively target puck-movers early and often, frame be damned.

In summary:

– small improvement to forward core (Lindholm over Ferland is depressingly not that much of an upgrade despite draft pedigree)

– large downgrade in defence core, now and into the future

77. deardylan says:

Wilde: Hamilton is the best player in the deal and the only elite one.

Carolina wins, handily.

In terms of team composition moving forward?

Calgary’s forwards look much better, with the possibility to ice two great lines again, but will continue to struggle with a below-average bottom 6.

They also have broken up a top-5 top pairing in the league, and now will likely look to ice their premier pairing from before Dougie’s arrival: Giordano-Hamilton.

They were just okay as a top pairing, and this was with Gio ~2-3 years younger.

Giordano – Brodie

Hanifin – Hamonic

Kulak – Stone

Wow that response exceeded all my expectations Wilde. Appreciate Russ 99 too.

78. Wilde says:

From CanucksArmy’s excellent pre draft breakdowns:

Evan Bouchards Expected Likelihood of Success: 73%

Ryan McLeod’s Expected Likelihood of Success: 35%

Warming up to the Ryan McLeod pick, by the way. What a skater, I’d deploy him as LW though.

79. deardylan says:

At the end of every draft I am left with a smirk bigger than the 3 Tkachuk badboyz after they score a goal. Cause at the end of every draft we have MCDAVID! 🙂 You can’t take that away from me.

80. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ryan: Which of these trades would you make if you were Don Waddell?

None

81. N64 says:

Wilde: Evan Bouchards Expected Likelihood of Success: 73

“Interestingly, pGPS doesn’t shine as positive of a light on Hughes as it does some of the other defenders in the 2018 class. He carries an expected success percentage of just 33%.”

82. ArmchairGM says:

Wilde: Extends our rights to him, pretty sure

Yup. If they give him a QO they retain his rights – even if he doesn’t sign it. Otherwise he becomes a UFA.

83. Wilde says:

N64: That looks like the ppgs in the canucks army review. They weren’t so keen on that model when they put Hughes higher:

“Interestingly, pGPS doesn’t shine as positive of a light on Hughes as it does some of the other defenders in the 2018 class. He carries an expected success percentage of just 33%. There are a few reasons for this. First, most of Hughes’ season was so good most of his matches barely meet the similarity threshold. Draft-year players are still a rarity in the NCAA, and many of his matches played there before it was the breeding ground for NHL talent it is today. It’s also important to consider that Hughes’ numbers at the college level were better than all his matches, and his height does him a bit of a disservice, too. In this case, we have to look outside the confines of the model. Hughes had a better freshman season than Zach Werenski did in his draft year, and he’s turned out to be one of the league’s best young defenders.”

Full quote

84. rickithebear says:

I have touted TVR since his HD arrival in 15-16.

He was one of the 9 HD dmen available in expansion draft selected by VGK.

85. leadfarmer says:

Wilde,

Chia must be negotiating for the Flames now. They gave away the best player and a top prospect and got back a good young defenseman and a slightly better Ryan Strome that wants close to Nuge money. I mean 5 mil plus for a 40 point player that hasn’t scored 20 goals and is not that young, one year younger than Nuge

86. Wilde says:

Wilde,

As for our picks, they’re both OHLers. Tons and tons of history there, giving XLS% the largest sample size of any league to work with.

87. Wilde says:

leadfarmer:
    Wilde,

Chia must be negotiating for the Flames now.They gave away the best player and a top prospect and got back a good young defenseman and a slightly better Ryan Strome that wants close to Nuge money.I mean 5 mil plus for a 40 point player that hasn’t scored 20 goals and is not that young, one year younger than Nuge

Ryan Strome would easily score Lindholm’s point numbers if he played with Aho and Skinner, imo.

88. leadfarmer says:

Wilde,

And his pp time. Its a funny trade. He wants more than 5 million that’s why Carolina traded him.

89. blainer says:

Very happy with this draft.

A Rt shot D that can QB a PP and owns a boomer of a shot and almost ready to plug and play as he has a mans body already. Those numbers are just outstanding. You have to draft these guys to get them.

Like the center for the 40th pick also.

I’m really really happy with what Chia did today with the Goalie position. Get as many goaltenders as possible without hurting the draft too much. It is the single most important position and most times leads to the firing of coach’s and GM’s or on the flip side is often the reason GM’s and Coach’s win awards.

Very happy with Chia today for a change. The prospect pool just got much stronger today.

90. Andy Dufresne says:

There were also reports on Saturday that the Islanders had made an offer of eight years and $88 million, though that may not be accurate. Sources said that Isles principal owner Scott Malkin and then-GM Garth Snow made an offer last winter, an eight-year, $80 million offer that was a bit of a placeholder — Tavares is aiming far higher than $10 million per.

It’s believed that Tavares’ final contract, whether with the Isles or elsewhere, will come in around $12 million per year.

Is Tavares worth $12 million AVV for 8 years at age 28 ????

91. Harpers Hair says:

deardylan: Wow that response exceeded all my expectations Wilde. Appreciate Russ 99 too.

Unfortunately it misses the forest and focuses on a couple of trees.

It was stated earlier in the day that Adam Fox was Calgary’s best D propspect. While he is very promising, Rasmus Andersson and Jusso Valimimaki are not only better but are further along.

The reason Calgary is dealing from their D pool is that they have too many blue chip prospects and a couple of them are NHL ready and they have no place to put them.

RD Andersson has a great year in the AHL and Valimaki the same in Finland and could challenge the lineup at training camp.

It’s entirely possible their D looks like this on opening night.

Gio Brodie

Hanifan Andersson

Valimaki Hamonic

Kulak Stone

Up front, the Flames have been looking for a winger to feed Gaudreau and Monahan. Lindholm should thrive in that role, never a sure thing but a huge step up from Ferland.

I would imagine Gaudreau and Monahan take a leap forward if the line clicks.

Some have mentioned Calgary’s bottom six forwards as lacking but I would suggest they take some time and take a look at what Glen Gawdwin, (top PPG player in the WHL) Dillion Dube and Matthew Phillips did in junior. Never mind that Spence Foo had a very good season in the AHL as did Andrew Mangiapane and Oliver Kylington.

Calgary is loaded with prospects and are currently sitting with $25M in cap space.

They spend a chunk of that on Lindholm and Hanifin but will still have lots of room to add free agents if they choose.

92. defmn says:

Andy Dufresne:

Is Tavares worth $12 million AVV for 8 years at age 28????

Not in my opinion but I bet he gets it.

93. Wilde says:

leadfarmer:
    Wilde,

And his pp time.Its a funny trade.He wants more than 5 million that’s why Carolina traded him.

And then if they give him 5, that’d be two Chiarelli-esque summers in a row for Treliving, and he can then look to tie the record of three in a row next summer.

94. leadfarmer says:

Harpers Hair,

They will be paying 5 mil plus for Lindholm to be a winger??? Bwahahah.
    They traded from strength. No they traded Fox cause he wanted to stay east
    They started of the day week on offense and swapping Ferland for Lindholm is almost a wash.
    Brodie has been getting killed.
    Smith is almost done.
    They should just trade their first rounder this year.
    This trade was Chia level incompetence

95. Wilde says:

Harpers Hair: Unfortunately it misses the forest and focuses on a couple of trees.

It’s entirely possible their D looks like this on opening night.

Gio Brodie

Hanifan Andersson

Valimaki Hamonic

Kulak Stone

I would imagine Gaudreau and Monahan take a leap forward if the line clicks.

1) Adam Fox was dealt because he wasn’t going to sign, this was confirmed by the general manager

2) How many rookies are you projecting to adequately fill holes next year there? A second pairing of two 21 year olds?

And then there’s mention of Gawdin, who didn’t crest PPG till ~20 in the WHL, which is like projecting an NHL role for Cameron Hebig.

Kylington and Mangiapane could help the bottom of the roster, could. Rest of those guys are not the calibre of player to go straight from junior to the NHL effectively, especially when they’d likely be on the ice with either a sub-par 3rd pairing, or the aforementioned 21 year old 2nd pairing.

I am writing an article for The Athletic, will have “Harvest Moon” post up tomorrow morning.

97. Harpers Hair says:

leadfarmer:
    Harpers Hair,

They will be paying 5 mil plus for Lindholm to be a winger???Bwahahah.
    They traded from strength.No they traded Fox cause he wanted to stay east
    Brodie has been getting killed.
    Smith is almost done.
    They should just trade their first rounder this year.
    This trade was Chia level incompetence

Since you seem to be itching for a bet, how about a Woodguy that Lindholm outscores Strome this coming season.

I’ll spot you 10 points.

BTW..Gawdin has been a PPG player for three straight seasons.

leadfarmer:
    Wilde,

Lindholm is going to be playing with Monahan and Gaudreau. He’ll probably get 60 points. The Sedins didn’t breakout till 24. Ditto Markus Naslund.

99. €√¥£€^$ says:

Harpers Hair,

Kylington is a defenseman

100. Harpers Hair says:

€√¥£€^$:
    Harpers Hair,

Kylington is a defenseman

I know.just included as another part of their depth…sorry for not bein clear

The key to the Carolina-Calgary deal is Hanifin. Lindholm is likely fine. The Flames will be paying him $5 million a year in his prime. The OIlers are playing Lucic $6 million after he has fallen in the abyss.

Hanifin has underperfomred his expectations so far, but that is not particularly unusual for defensemen. If he takes another step forward, the Flames did okay. If he doesn’t, the Flames come out worse.

102. Harpers Hair says:

godot10: Lindholm is going to be playing with Monahan and Gaudreau.He’ll probably get 60 points.The Sedins didn’t breakout till 24.Ditto Markus Naslund.

He also a right shot while Johnny and Sean are left shot. Perfect fit.

103. Harpers Hair says:

godot10:
    The key to the Carolina-Calgary deal is Hanifin.Lindholm is likely fine.The Flames will be paying him $5 million a year in his prime.The OIlers are playing Lucic $6 million after he has fallen in the abyss.

Hanifin has underperfomred his expectations so far, but that is not particularly unusual for defensemen.If he takes another step forward, the Flames did okay.If he doesn’t, the Flames come out worse.

Hanifin is only 21. That’s two years younger than Nurse. A step or two forward is almost a given.

104. Wilde says:

Harpers Hair: They traded Fox because he wouldn’t sign. He knew he was blocked by Calgary’s wealth of D talent.

I’ll spot you 10 points.

BTW..Gawdin has been a PPG player for three straight seasons.

Gawdin and Cameron Hebig are nearly identical in terms of production over the years and are two months apart in age, both also carried by legit stars that play on their line in Heponiemi and Steel.

If we symmetrically apply your projections for Flames prospects to the Oilers, Edmonton will have Bear fill the 2RD hole, Cameron Hebig will bolster their bottom 6, and Kailer Yamamoto will contend for Calder.

Would you look at that, balance!!

105. Scungilli Slushy says:

It’s entirely possible their D looks like this on opening night.

Gio Brodie

Hanifan Andersson

Valimaki Hamonic

Kulak Stone

I would imagine Gaudreau and Monahan take a leap forward if the line clicks.

106. Munny says:

Harpers Hair,

Harper’s Hyperbole.

107. Jaxon says:

I would have liked them to draft two of Liam Kirk, Tristen Nielsen, or Pavel Gogolev with their last two picks. They have the production at 5-on-5 to merit a pick and scouting reports say they are both decent skaters. Can Nielsen and Gogolev be invited to camp and signed this year? I’m a bit fuzzy on the rules regarding this matter. If so, I’d reaching out to them today.

108. Harpers Hair says:

Scungilli Slushy: Only problem being their best D is ready to decline and their best forward is half as good as ours. He he.

It’s about balance.
    Their best three forwards will outscore the Oilers best two forwards by a wide margin for less money.
    And, if and when their best D declines they have multiple options.
    The Oilers just picked up a great potential #1 D…but there is arguably no one else.

109. Munny says:

It’s not as bad a deal for Calgary as the numbers might show. Hanifin will be a stud, and there are obvious questions now surrounding Hamilton’s character.

However, IIRC, Hamilton was a player that DSF was absolutely raving about when he became a Flame. So… that’s gotta smart! lol

110. Wilde says:

Jaxon:

Believe they just re-enter the draft next year, not signable

111. Munny says:

Pretty nice looking numbers for Hawkey. Have no clue why the Habs were willing to hand him off to us.

112. Wilde says:

It says something about Chiarelli and goaltending that he repeatedly brought up ‘starting goaltending’ unprompted when he was getting grilled midseason, and then has rage-bought four goaltenders since.

Yeah man, it was the goaltending. Where’s Tim Thomas??

113. OriginalPouzar says:

RonnieB: Not the same thing. The Draisaitl decision was made before he turned 20.

It doesn’t matter when the decision is made – the CHL player is eligible for the AHL if he turns 20 by December 31 of the season.

114. Wilde says:

Harpers Hair: It’s about balance.
    And, if and when their best D declines they have multiple options.

Yep, balance. Having three guys outscore two is better!

Time on ice isn’t an unlimited resource. That’s why the most elite talent wins, and the Flames dealt from the top of the deck, Oilers style.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

Jethro Tull:
    –hudson–,

Sleppy?

Of course – we keep his RFA rights. If we don’t qualify him he becomes a UFA.

116. OriginalPouzar says:

–hudson–:
    John Shannon
    ‏Verified account @JSportsnet

Edmonton Oilers have extended qualifying offers to the following three players:
    – Darnell Nurse
    – Anton Slepyshev
    – Ryan Strome

No surprise there.

I assume this mean Betker and Platzer were not qualified and will become UFAs.

117. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99: Hamilton – Hanifin is a wash and Hanifin is an RFA that needs to be signed.

Hamilton and Hanafin is not a wash – sure Hanafin has some potential but Hamilton is the superior player and plays the more valuable position.

118. ArmchairGM says:

Munny:

Something about 8 x $10.5?

119. Ryan says:

Wilde: Yep, balance. Having three guys outscore two is better!

That being said, I sill follow mostly every thread.

Wanted to say that I enjoy your posts! Thanks for your contributions here!

120. OilFire says:

Didn’t the community already vote that Calgary-prospect-loving DSF off the island for this constant trolling? The toupee of a P.M. doesn’t hide the face of a troll.

“Oh my god, Calgary has these 7 prospects that are totally amazing and Edmonton’s are shit, let’s start an argument about it”
    “Oh my god, Dallas has x prospect D-men and y forwards in the AHL, I love them, everyone come argue with me”

Jesus effin’ Christ man, how many times can you repeat this same schtick?

121. rickithebear says:

I’ll spot you 10 points.

BTW..Gawdin has been a PPG player for three straight seasons.

Jesus

Stats mean shit without a situation baseline!

512 situations.

Average for EVP/60 can vary from .35 to 2.85 for a given situation.

A 2.65 EVP/60 Player looks great.

But measure it against a situational baseline
    A 2.65 EVP/60 player in a 2.85 EVP/60 avg situation.
    Not good.

122. Munny says:

ArmchairGM: Something about 8 x $10.5?

Are you saying Hawk pulled a Rieder?

Not sure why he wouldn’t want to backup and learn his trade from one of the best this decade.

123. Wilde says:

Ryan: I don’t post here as much as I used to as I’ve turned into somewhat of a workaholic.

That being said, I sill follow mostly every thread.

Wanted to say that I enjoy your posts! Thanks for your contributions here!

Thanks, appreciated

124. Munny says:

Lebrun on tonight’s Sportscenter commented that Carolina is not done dealing.

125. Scungilli Slushy says:

Harpers Hair: It’s about balance.
    And, if and when their best D declines they have multiple options.

Flames top 3 forwards
    Gaudreau age 25 2019 84
    Monahan age 24 2019 64
    Tkachuk age 21 2019 49
    total 197
    Lindhom age 24 2019 44

Oilers
    McDavid age 22 108
    Draisaitl age 23 70
    Nuge age 25 2019 48
    total 226

The next best forward Flames was Bennett at 26

The next best Oilers forward was Strome at 34

The Flames lack an elite player. They might have had one but they traded him. They are suffering like the Canucks (Sedins) from holding on to Iginla too long, mistaking a Cup chance.

Perhaps the Sedins should have retired Canucks, but the Flames dealt Jerome, they waited until he didn’t have enough ‘cache’ to bring the haul he could have. So here they are.

The teams with the future potential to dominate are IMO the Oilers because McD, Sabres, Islanders if they keep JT, maybe Canucks if Petersson pans out as an elite C.

Luck is 50% of the game, I don’t recall anyone with a good enough young core, or put another way potentially league top players.

126. Wilde says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Philly is my sleeper team for a Jets-type deep powerhouse team

127. Jaxon says:

Wilde: Believe they just re-enter the draft next year,not signable

Just did some searching. My understanding from this is that they can be signed between now and the beginning of their Junior team’s training camp. Or signed to a professional tryout and then the window extends until the start of the NHL season.

“(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(i) N/A

(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).”

So try to sign them! Nielsen is a BC-born Alberta player. Shouldn’t be too hard to convince him to sign. They seem to have the room on their 50-man.

128. Scungilli Slushy says:

Wilde:
    Scungilli Slushy,

Philly is my sleeper team for a Jets-type deep powerhouse team

Perhaps for sure

129. Scungilli Slushy says:

Wilde:
    Scungilli Slushy,

Philly is my sleeper team for a Jets-type deep powerhouse team

I suppose also maybe the Leafs

130. deardylan says:

Wilde: Thanks, appreciated

Great to hear from you Ryan. Even a sentence like this every once awhile lets us know you are still with us makes the community stronger. Anyone else a workaholic with no time for posting? (sounds like many of us passionate posters 🙂

131. --hudson-- says:

Jaxon,

Just like Vladdy Hockey scenario from a few years ago with exception to the pro games played that voided the contract

132. YKOil says:

Actually like this trade for Calgary. Carolina won the trade but Calgary got useful, younger, pieces. Hanifin is a really nice pick-up.

This sort of trade works for Calgary, and not for teams like Edmonton, because of depth in the system. I don’t think Calgary can afford another 12 months like the last 12 but they had the depth that allowed it and so they can get away with it (for now).

I like the draft Edmonton just had. Two more years of that and Edmonton will have a deep talent pool to use. Would be the first time in my lifetime I think… am I happy or sad now?