(You and me) Sittin’ in the back of my memory

In 1979, the NHL folded four WHA teams into the great league, turning 17 into 21. A flood of free agents appeared, as veterans from the now defunct teams were pushing for work. The NHL also reduced the draft to six rounds (from 22 rounds) and moved the draft age from 20 to 18. Imagine a world with (suddenly) 85 new jobs, turning the league into an employment pool of 440. Now. Imagine the 350 (or so) men who cashed their paycheck in the 1978-79 NHL looking over their shoulder at about 80 displaced men in search of jobs and another 100 or so graduating juniors who were cheap, fast and hungry. It was a mess but astute teams and players found each other. Edmonton found Charlie Huddy, and he rewarded them with years of sublime efficiency. Time to find another.

THE ATHLETIC!

Give The Athletic as a gift or get it yourself and join the fun! Offer is here, less than $5 a month and your Dad will love a unique gift. I find myself reading both the hockey (Willis, Dellow, Pronman, et cetera) and the baseball coverage a lot, it’s compelling reading and a pure pleasure to visit. We’ll sell you the whole seat, but you’ll only need the edge.

NHLE FORWARDS

• A year ago, Kailer Yamamoto was the leading junior NHLE performer (36.2), he was one of five men over 30.0 NHLE. Joe Gambardella (NCAA-39.5); Tyler Vesel (NCAA-31.6); Jesse Puljujarvi (AHL-31.2) and Tyler Benson (WHL-30.3) all showed enough offense to be projected as possible NHL options at maturation. Jujhar Khaira (AHL-28.5) was just outside the range. One notable item from a year ago: Three of the 30+ NHLE’s were teenagers.
  • There are two teenagers over 30 NHLE, Kailer Yamamoto and the surprising Kirill Maksimov. Tyler Benson is close.
  • Ryan McLeod has a good number, it suggests he could be a complementary scorer or a productive third liner. Both have value. The highest NHLE I’ve seen? Connor McDavid, 23-40-63 in the year before he was drafted.
  • Cooper Marody is an interesting player. Although his NHLE is shy of Joe Gambardella’s a year ago (and Drake Caggiula’s 44NHLE), he’s younger and his trajectory may be higher. You could say the same thing about Cameron Hebig.

NHLE DEFENSE

• If these numbers are true, Evan Bouchard is a game changer. I went back in time looking for an offensive player (drafted) in the upper echelon and couldn’t find a prospect who delivered that kind of wallop at 17 not named Paul Coffey (102 points in 75 games). Danny Syvret scored well but he was drafted at 20.
  • Joey Laleggia and Brad Hunt were over 30 points NHLE in 2015, Darnell Nurse (about to enter pro) was 23 NHLE at age 19. Can Dmitri Samorukov reach close to that level at 19?
  • Ethan Bear has a window of opportunity to push up the depth chart, chances are his competition is Matt Benning and that will play out during Bear’s entry deal.
  • Joel Persson.

LOW BUDGET FREE AGENT LIST

I’m using Matt Cane’s free-agent list and I have just $4 million to spend. I’m in search of a No. 2 right-wing, a No. 4 center and a No. 7 defenceman. I have in-house options (Kailer Yamamoto, Jujhar Khaira and Keegan Lowe) but we’re looking for external options that are value.

• RC Derek Ryan. Cane’s number ($2,483,222 times 2) is more than half of the allotted budget, expensive but he solves a lot of issues. It would require running Yamamoto and Lowe in their roles, I could live with this option.
  • RC Riley Nash. Cane’s number ($2,277,827 times 3) includes an extra year, but I like Nash a little more than Ryan. I would consider this a stronger option.
  • L Matt Calvert. Cane’ number ($1,543,611 times 1) is another good option, but Khaira would need to move over to center and I like him better on the wing. We’ll table it for possible discussion later.
  • RC Derek Grant. Cane’s number ($1,011,602 times 1) would make Grant a very tempting bet but I think he goes for me. Grant is 28, can win faceoffs and scored 12 goals in a support role.
  • RC Austin Czarnik. Cane’s number ($715,773 times 1) is as an RFA, but I don’t know he’ll cost more as a free agent. He posted a strong AHL season and I think Czarnik would be a solid option for No. 4 center.

• There are no right wingers in free agency so I chose Matt Calvert as the best option for procurement. It means moving Jujhar Khaira to center, and that may not work. I have Shawn Matthias and Austin Czarnik as depth options, Czarnik might also grab some of Pontus Aberg’s playing time (and Kailer Yamamoto would be in Bakersfield just a call away).
  • As of now, Cooper Marody has a great chance to play some games this season. If he performs well in camp, suspect we’ll see him.
  • I think a trade is coming, just don’t know who is going. Boston, Montreal, Carolina and the Rangers are teams who Edmonton might be able to do business with over the next 10 days.

MATT BENNING

These are the Puck IQ numbers from last season. Adam Larsson played most against the elites among RHD, followed by Kris Russell and then Matt Benning. Absent a trade, I wonder if Benning will take on some of the load for Russell as second pairing RHD. On the other side, Nurse played the most (as a percentage of individual playing time) against the elites, Oscar Klefbom and Andrej Sekera should drive that number down in the coming year.

ORIENTATION CAMP

The Oilers published the orientation camp roster and schedule for the week (here). It’s a good list, people will want to see Evan Bouchard and the new recruits. These camps are important, the 2015 camp put Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Darnell Nurse together and that trio has emerged as (from what we know) the heart of the order.

WINGERS

There’s a bit of a buzz about Jason Chimera to the Oil, if that happens we could see a left-wing depth chart of RNH—Lucic—Rattie—Chimera. What does that mean? Drake Caggiula on right wing as a regular, we could see the Oilers start the season Rattie—Caggiula—Puljujarvi—Kassian. If nothing changes, pretty sure center will be McDavid—Draisatil—Strome—Khaira and the extra men likely to be added in the coming days.

QUICK THOUGHTS ON THE DRAFT

More to come in the next few days (I’ll have a draft article at The Athletic this afternoon or tomorrow looking at the Oilers shopping this weekend) but I wanted to give a couple of quick thoughts this morning. I’ve always believed NHL teams should trust their board, make their list and stick with it. It’s also important to know the pressure points of the draft, when there’s a big falloff in quality.

In 2017, Edmonton had just one selection in the top 75, but drafted Stuart Skinner, Ostap Safin, Kirill Maksimov and Phil Kemp before they were finished. That’s some nice depth to the draft.

This year? The Oilers were basically done at the end of the second round. I think that reflects the general lack of quality after pick No. 75 or so, and the Oilers got three solid choices in Evan Bouchard, Ryan McLeod and Olivier Rodrigue. That’s a good haul, these prospects were highly rated and now we’ll see.

There are differences between this scouting team (Keith Gretzky has some role, Bob Green scouting director) and the past. There’s even a change from 2016 to the last two years in my opinion, and the drafting is miles from 2014’s curio.

Since he arrived in 2015, Peter Chiarelli’s Oilers have drafted 27 times. Four goaltenders (one per year), 12 defensemen (three per year!), five centers and six wingers. Of the 27 players chosen, 21 are “up the middle” and 11 are forwards. The club is building defensive and goalie depth, little doubt there.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy morning, all starts at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Pierre Lebrun, TSN and The Athletic. An eventful weekend leading into a major week ahead.
  • Darren Dreger, TSN. John Tavares, the Flames trade, what’s ahead for Edmonton?
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Oilers draft weekend, what does this week hold?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

236 Responses to "(You and me) Sittin’ in the back of my memory"

« Older Comments
  1. Scungilli Slushy says:

OilSafety:
    You know, sometimes reading through these comments I pause, and when I do its because I’m trying to create a mental picture of what a poster is like in real life.

Most times I think, ‘I’d Crack a cold one with that guy/gal’

But every now and then, I just shake my head and am glad there’s an entire Internet between us.

Awesome

2. Rondo says:

Allow me a single false premise, and I can prove anything I like.

3. rickithebear says:

Avg Dpair (2.35) (11.68) = .457g
    Avg pk (6.35)(6.00) = .635g
    Total = 2.049g

While better GF is appealing
    I would take my chances scoring 2-3 goals with
    A top running HD system
    Rather than tryimg to score 3-4 with Karlsson and Burns.

That is what a HD vs off d system choice comes down too.
    What does your teams forward group score and is it easier to outscore a 2.50 GAA or a 3.20 GAA average.

Better question is how many 3.00 GAA x 82 teams make the playoffs every 5 years.

4. commonfan29 says:

VOR: They wanted Milan not for himself but because after July 1st they were going to flip him for a player they did want. In other words they were going to pony up the money and increase Milan’s trade value. He wouldn’t tell me the details.

My playing partner had no idea why the Oilers nixed this deal or didn’t take it seriously.

Gotta wonder who that third team is…

5. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

ArmchairGM: Drake/Looch are not cemented anywhere. Based on this past season Lucic looks best on the 3rd line, while Caggiula can play either wing equally badly.

Um okay … that makes me feel a whole lot better. (desperately looking for sarcasm emoji)

6. who says:

commonfan29: If true, isn’t it at least possible that the Oilers have the same plan for Lucic after July 1st?

Gotta wonder who that third team is…

If there is a team willing to take Lucic without the Oilers throwing in a sweetener the Oilers need to make that trade before the other team comes to their senses.
    I have my doubts about the accuracy of this scouts story.

7. Ari says:

commonfan29,

Possibly…

But then again, wouldn’t it be prudent to push for an even better deal from the scout’s team?

8. LMHF#1 says:

Yakupov and Reider would make this team a hell of a lot better. Won’t happen of course, but that doesn’t make it false.

9. JimmyV1965 says:

Jaxon: Since 2009-2010, of forwards with 750 minutes or more, Grabner is 22nd in G/60:

PlayerG/60
    David Pastrnak1.05
    Alex Debrincat1.04
    Conor Sheary1.03
    Jamie Benn1.03
    Nico Hischier1.03
    Michael Grabner1.03

EDIT: Maroon is 114th on this list with .83 and a lot of Maroon’s minutes are with McDavid, or Getzlaf/Perry. I’ll give you that Grabner did some of those years with Tavares, but he also did his two recent 29 and 35 goal paces with JT Miller, who is not near Tavares or McDavid, or even Getzlaf/Perry.

I’ve actually followed Grabner pretty closely because I’ve had in my draft a few times. I’ve picked him coming off good seasons and been very pissed off. I’ve also taken him in the 20th round coming off two or three awful seasons and been thrilled with his production. I don’t care what the numbers say he’s very inconsistent. I remember one year he did nothing all season, yet he had a 5 pt game against the Oilers when they sucked. And for all the goals he’s scored he has 50 pts once and his next highest is 40. To be clear, I said I didn’t want Maroon. I just wanted him more than Grabner. If you see Grabner as a good player based on goals per 60, I suggest you watch him play. You will be underwhelmed. He’s not even in the same hemisphere as anyone on that list.

10. LMHF#1 says:

VOR,

It is as bad as the worst we muse about apparently. I’m not shocked – it takes effort to mess up having the best player in the world on your team and these guys are pros at losing – not winning.

11. VOR says:

Gotta wonder who that third team is…

I assumed it was Carolina and the target was Jeff Skinner. But that is purely a guess based on other people’s speculation.

12. Jaxon says:

JimmyV1965: I’ve actually followed Grabner pretty closely because I’ve had in my draft a few times. I’ve picked him coming off good seasons and been very pissed off. I’ve also taken him in the 20th round coming off two or three awful seasons and been thrilled with his production. I don’t care what the numbers say he’s very inconsistent.I remember one year he did nothing all season, yet he had a 5 pt game against the Oilers when they sucked. And for all the goals he’s scored he has 50 pts once and his next highest is 40.To be clear, I said I didn’t want Maroon.I just wanted him more than Grabner. If you see Grabner as a good player based on goals per 60, I suggest you watch him play. You will be underwhelmed.He’s not even in the same hemisphere as anyone on that list.

I’m not saying he’s the be-all, end-all, I know he has some issues, but a very fast 35 goal scorer (maybe more with McDavid) should definitely be considered, warts and all. Andreas Athanasiou is a very similar player in both goals production, speed, and consistency issues. I think both might be good additions to Edmonton. Facing three of the fastest players in the NHL shift after shift or all on one line would never be a fun night for opposition D.

13. Richard S.S. says:

People complaining about signing Caggiula. People would complain about letting talent walk, if he wasn’t signed. Apparently the new arena and development coupled with the McDavid factor aren’t as big a draw as anyone thinks. 19 out of every 20 players would turn down fair offers from the Oilers. Of the few that would sign, less than 10% would sign without getting over paid in monies and term and a NTC.

14. rickithebear says:

As it turns out
    05-06 was a huge gpg season .
    (2.92gpt)
    So many teams made it.
    06/07 to 17/18
    06/07 (2.77) TMP 261ga 3.18
    07/08 (2.61) OTT 247ga 3.01
    08/09 (2.73) MTL 247ga 3.01
    17/18 (2.78) PIT 250ga 3.05

Do we see a further shrinking of goalie equipment and a further reduction in HD:LD ratio.
    A greater shot success distance and offensive dmen have some real value.
    But likely have to be 3.2 to 3.3 goals per team per season
    Before Off dmen are a negative.

That is the problem with Off dmen lovers.
    They think it is the Wild 80,s.
    With god awful save % were you could score crossing the blue.

15. JimmyV1965 says:

Jaxon: I’m not saying he’s the be-all, end-all, I know he has some issues, but a very fast 35 goal scorer (maybe more with McDavid)should definitely be considered, warts and all. Andreas Athanasiou is a very similar player in both goals production, speed, and consistency issues. I think both might be good additions to Edmonton. Facing three of the fastest players in the NHL shift after shift or all on one line would never be a fun night for opposition D.

Actually I don’t have an issue signing Grabner, but someone in this thread mentioned $3.5 mill for three years. I would suggest that would be an absolute horrible deal. If we could get him on a cheap deal that’s fine, but someone is going to buck up for his goal production.

I think Maroon is a better player and I wouldn’t want to sign him for that deal either. I’ve seen Grabner play a lot. He’s actually pretty good defensively. He jumps on loose pucks really quick and because of his speed he gets it out of the dzone quickly.

But he’s weak on the forecheck and backcheck. Maroon has way better puck skills in tight and he thinks the game better and anticipates the play better. Too often the puck dies on Grabner’s stick in the ozone and he plays on the periphery. A lot of his production is based on his speed and his good finishing skills. But I’m not sold that he will be a good fit with McDavid just because he’s fast.

When he’s not scoring he’s not doing much. And he has long stretches of games where he does zilch. He’s great on the PK though.

Honestly, I would rather sign someone like Versteeg, or any dozen of players, for league minimum for one year, than Grabner or Maroon for the three.

16. --hudson-- says:

VOR: I think Ryan McLeod is a potential top six forward. He has a world of talent. He is truly gifted.

The problem is he doesn’t fit the Oilers’ culture very well. He has consistency of effort issues. And for a big, very strong, extremely fast player he shies away from the hard areas of the ice. Oilers coaching, management, and the team’s fan base have a long history of torching players with these specific issues. The culture of the Oilers is big, strong, fast players engage physically and win puck battles and forget about the fancy stuff.

Ryan McLeod (check out highlight videos) can fly, can shoot, has great offensive vision/IQ, can dangle and most of all has magic hands. It isn’t clear if he even knows how to throw a body check. And he sure doesn’t know how to fight, or use his body to gain time and space. He will acquire a bad case of side burns in training camp and that will be Sayonara.

Does some one think it will be different this time? Anyone?

I do have to look back a long time to imagine a player being developed by Edmonton known for being a perimeter guy. Sounds like Ales Hemsky although as Robin Regehr would attest he wasn’t afraid to go to the tough areas.

Sad to hear the Oilers are getting in the way of the men they hired to put together a draft board. It’s a real shame considering it likely comes from a good place, they love the Oilers, but collaboration is a complicated matter. With Keith Gretzky being able to tell his older brother what his challenges are, you’d hope things sort themselves out.

17. VOR says:

I assumed, again an assumption, that none of the interference I was told about was malignant and probably not intentional. These guys all love the Oilers and are trying to help based on their years of experience. But you have to let the people you hire do their jobs. So one of the senior executives walks in the room, sees the board and says, “I saw that guy, bad.” The scouts now aren’t sure what they are supposed to do.

You told about a Columbus draft meeting and I think it was John Davidson confusing the scouts. Same thing, just more cooks. A smart team would have would have a process for collecting these guys input and de-politicizing it for their scouts.

I assume over time, as trust grows in how well Gretzky does his job this system will grow organically. Maybe I am foolishly naive.

All that said the story if true says there are too many hands on the wheel. The Oilers aren’t the Dixie Chicks.

What really distresses me is constantly being confronted by evidence a group of young men I worshipped when I was an undergrad and Edmonton truly was the City of Champions have become the worst sort of hangers on, meddling old men living in the past. They have turned the hockey team I love into a laughing stock. Somewhere along the way I’ve become an old man, and a curmudgeon.

And so I find it easy to believe the Red Wine Club meddles in the draft. Doesn’t mean it’s true. And the ease with which I accept it may say more about me than I would like.

18. VOR says:

–hudson–: I do have to look back a long time to imagine a player being developed by Edmonton known for being a perimeter guy.Sounds like Ales Hemsky although as Robin Regehr would attest he wasn’t afraid to go to the tough areas.

Sad to hear the Oilers are getting in the way of the men they hired to put together a draft board.It’s a real shame considering it likely comes from a good place, they love the Oilers, but collaboration is a complicated matter.With Keith Gretzky being able to tell his older brother what his challenges are, you’d hope things sort themselves out.

In time and with coaching he might grow into an exceedingly valuable part of some Cup winning teams. I just think it unlikely Edmonton will give him the playing time or the patient repetitive coaching required to unleash his potential.

Hemsky looked soft but played hard and the Oilers fan base and the media were still split on what to make of him.

Now here is a kid who plays the game like a warrior some nights and like a wuss other nights. It will get ugly quickly.

19. Ari says:

VOR:

Eloquently put. This one line could solve so many problems.

20. Munny says:

VOR,

Sorry VOR, I took consistency, and lack of physicality and courage to be two different things.

I totally understand your concern for McLeod getting fucked up by the environment. Your golf post added a mountain of context.

I think with this kid though, if his talent holds up he will learn the maturity and consistency needed to be an NHLer. Given you know, a strong room and organizational support…

Shit. The poor lad’s doomed.

21. hags9k says:

The Leftorium is dead!

Here we come BALANCE PHOTO!!

22. SwedishPoster says:

€√¥£€^$:
    OriginalPouzar,

These Swedes are wild cards as far as D depth for this franchise, but if you are going to dip your toe in any kind of prospect pool, the Oilers have gone to the right place in the world.It will be very interesting to see how Persson plays this year with full-time training and a year of experience under his belt.What a great low risk-high reward move the club made with this player.

I am really excited to Lagesson, he was very impressive in Penticton.He is a lot bigger than I thought he would be and IMO his is a very good skater.I wasn’t able to compare them side by side, but the impression that I got was that he is a better skater than Adam Larsson.If I was a betting man, I would bet that he either makes the team out of TC as the 8th dman or he will be the 1st call-up from the Bake this year.

Berglund will be good next year and I am excited to see him in NA when he arrives.The D corps depth will be a real strength for this team in the coming years.What a turn around and it is great to see.

I don’t know enough about the NCAA to know if he was in a bad program or if it just started to click but something happened.

It still needs further work though. And he’s a worse skater than Adam Larsson at the same age.

23. JimmyV1965 says:

SwedishPoster: I have to set the record straight on Lagesson. He’s not a great skater. I see a lot of people mentioning his skating as a strength. It’s not, I’d say skating along with his somewhat choppy hands are his main areas in need of work. His straight line skating once going is ugly looking but ok speedwise. His first steps, lateral and backwards skating must improve for him to make it, especially the first two. The positive is that all these things looked much better at the end of the year compared to how he looked in september. So much so that I seriously questioned the quality of his NCAA program when I saw it. Both his skating and puck control looked like it had improved more in a few months in Djurgården than they did through all his years in college.

24. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

VOR,

– Thnaks for this stuff VOR: the few tidbits I have from ex-oilers who are my friends fits with this

– Of course youare a lot more informed an eloquent than I am with my long-established views on the OBC and what I think of Lowe, MacT, Gretz et al.

– It doesn’t take a genius to recognize the huge flaw in an organization that rewards those whose incompetence is shielded by a fawning owner who rewards and coddles those who get to sit at the big boys table despite much evidence that they shouldn’t: huge problem for those who are competent

– I’ll do a longer piece on Nicholson’s saving grace later

25. matt says:

When the f*ck was the last time someone in the Journal or Sun wrote like this? I hope the Athletic pays a ton. It is well deserved.

26. matt says:

Richard S.S.,

This is true. But the college market should be well disposed to the Oilers: they will play you sooner, and McDavid might bump your numbers, letting you make up “lost” ground in a hurry.

27. Woodguy v2.0 says:

rickithebear: Story?

Thier is a guy out thier who built a database without marrying video with math.
    If he had he he would not have used dangerous Fenwick.

Watch some video.
    If the Off dmen is not in the video they are having a huge impact on HD affect.
    Thier is an actual average for that.

If you watch video and a Dman is covering that critical area.
    Yielding better HD and unit dif results.
    The dman not in the picture or his expected position has nothing to do with that.

Watch some video BOY!

Dear Mr. TheBear,

I was agreeing with you.

Regards,
    Woodguy

28. Woodguy v2.0 says:

VOR: Feel free.

Thanks

29. Woodguy v2.0 says:

rickithebear:
    WG:

Rumour has it you do not actually look at the wood being graded.
    Someone hands you a paper with numbers on it.
    Then you pick the least accurate information to put in.

Standard mode of operation?

In the best mills most wood is graded by photo image optimizer.

Much more efficient and much better yields than grading by eye.

I’m not kidding either.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

He’s not a 35 goal scorer – his career high is 27 goals and he’s in his 30s. You can’t just discount his NJ games and pro-rate his NYR goals instead – that’s dishonest – in particular for a player known to be very streaky and inconsistent.

Of his 27 goals this past season, I believe 7 or 8 were empty netters as well.

He’s a decent goal scorer but to say he’s a 35 goal scorer is dishonest.

31. Jaxon says:

One thing that could be a consideration when evaluating McLeod is the effect that being in the shadow of an older brother can have on a player. No matter how good or bad their relationship, there is 17 years of psychological baggage to unpack and that could very well have an impact on things like consistency, drive and leadership. There can be loyalty, competition, jealousy, respect, deference, protectionism all getting in the way. It will be interesting to see him play on a team that his brother isn’t on and has never been on. That independence might just see him thrive.

32. Jaxon says:

OriginalPouzar: He’s not a 35 goal scorer – his career high is 27 goals and he’s in his 30s.You can’t just discount his NJ games and pro-rate his NYR goals instead – that’s dishonest – in particular for a player known to be very streaky and inconsistent.

Of his 27 goals this past season, I believe 7 or 8 were empty netters as well.

He’s a decent goal scorer but to say he’s a 35 goal scorer is dishonest.

If you’re trying to find out how long it takes for water to boil and you record the temperature going up at a certain rate for the first the minutes and someone drops an ice cube in the water, which is the correct rate?

4 of his past 8 seasons have been 29 goal paces or more and his most recent two have been 29 goal paces or more (and yes I can exclude his NJD time, I’m stubborn like that). 😉

33. ArmchairGM says:

Richard S.S.:
    People complaining about signing Caggiula.People would complain about letting talent walk, if he wasn’t signed.Apparently the new arena and development coupled with the McDavid factor aren’t as big a draw as anyone thinks.19 out of every 20 players would turn down fair offers from the Oilers. Of the few that would sign, less than 10% would sign without getting over paid in monies and term and a NTC.

Caggiula’s QO was a 1 year contract at $874,125. I would be fine with that, as would most here.

34. SwedishPoster says:

JimmyV1965: If I remember correctly you were much more optimistic about Berglund than Lagesson.

Yes, I think he has more upside. They both have things to work on but imo Berglund has a wider array of skills.

While on Berglund, he finished third when his SHL team had their annual triathlon last week so he seems to be in good shape.

35. russ99 says:

VOR: As I said to Munny I don’t think Ryan McLeod is consistently any one thing. When he wants it he is a startling talent. When he doesn’t he looks like any number of lazy perimeter players.

2-3 years of playing in the AHL, a tough men’s league, will make a difference.

The Oilers always rush their forwards, so the proof will be in if they have patience, like every other team has in their second round picks.

The only reason they didn’t hurry Benson was the injuries.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Jaxon: Ouch, haha. A35 goal scorer was in a sentence about projecting him with McDavid. And I think you can separate data when the circumstances change drastically. You think his skills went down instantly somehow on the day he got traded?

Well, sure, yes, almost every player can be projected to have a bump in production playing with McDavid.

No, I don’t think his skills went down instantly, however, he has always been a streak and inconsistent scorer – its very reasonable to posit that his poor production in Jersey was simply one of his down streaks.

« Older Comments