Being There

As we enter free agency, the Oilers are handcuffed by cap constraints. Many fans view this as a negative but if you look closely, most of the truly exceptional deals are for well less than $2 million a year. After two years of spending big in free agency, followed by one year at the dollar store, Edmonton is approaching this season’s UFA pool with care and caution. This is a good thing.

THE ATHLETIC!

Give The Athletic as a gift or get it yourself and join the fun! Offer is here, less than $5 a month! I find myself reading both the hockey (Willis, Dellow, Pronman, et cetera) and the baseball coverage a lot, it’s a pure pleasure to visit. We’ll sell you the whole seat, but you’ll only need the edge.

BRODZIAK AN OILER?

I don’t now that Comeau is going to be in the Oilers range, and Puljujarvi is already on the roster, but the other three men should be in Edmonton’s wheelhouse. Brodziak’s zone starts for the season (206 offensive, 283 neutral, 461 defensive) suggests a Brodziak fourth line might be able to manage a lot of the chores. Mark Letestu’s numbers (157, 146, 201) were far less extreme. He played a lot with Scottie Upshall and Patrik Berglund. I wrote briefly about Brodziak here. I wote about Brodziak, Jason Chimera and Austin Czarnik here.

The Oilers shouldn’t have traded Brodziak, he was outplaying Marc Pouliot based on the information available at the time (post is here).

• I’m no expert at sussing this stuff out, but it looks to me like they had somewhat similar seasons in terms of offense. 5×5/60 is very close, and their GF/GA ON is also close. The difference is that Pouliot did it with below average help and Brodziak did it (based on Desjardins and eyeball) with guys who would need a day’s drive to get to below average. This would also account for the bad Corsi (you try dragging these people all over the ice) compared to Pouliot. Brodziak is superior in terms of faceoff skills, and although it didn’t show in the pim’s I think most people would agree that Brodziak played a more gritty style. There’s little to suggest he’s going to be significantly more expensive than Pouliot in 09-10. I think Brodziak is a better fit for the Tambellini template.

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Back in February, I wrote an item for The Athletic called The Oilers badly need a long, boring, uneventful yet effective summer. It appears we are there. In the article I detailed needs and solutions, including McDavid’s shooter, a right-handed puck mover for the second pairing, a third-line centre who can penalty kill and perhaps play some right wing, a backup goaltender, Maroon’s replacement and a penalty-killing forward as primary items.

As we reach free agency, the actual list has changed a little and a couple of the issues have been addressed if not resolved. Here is my current Chiarelli needs list:

• A scoring winger capable of sliding up and down the depth chart as required (Rattie insurance and a finisher for Leon’s line).
  • A two-way forward who can provide veteran presence on the third or fourth line.
  • A second-pairing defender (patience may require this solution arrives later, and it might be Matt Benning until Evan Bouchard is ready).
  • A backup goalie (Mikko Koskinen).

The right winger could be Austin Czarnik or Anthony Duclair (he can play RW) but I don’t think it’s Rocco Grimaldi (who has posted some impressive scoring totals in the AHL). Brandon Pirri would be an astute hire for that spot. The two-way forward may well be Brodziak, but you could also include Jason Chimera and others.

CHIARELLI’S ASSET LIST

• Milan Lucic.  No idea what the market might be, suspect he goes after July 1.
  • Zack KassianHe’s likely in a few conversations.
  • 2019 first-round pick. It would have lots of value.
  • Oscar KlefbomThe OEL signing has him moving down my list (from No. 1).
  • Jesse Puljujarvi. He’s vulnerable, suspect they’ll regret dealing the big man.
  • Ryan Strome. Oilers may want to reset that third line.
  • Andrej Sekera. Injury unknown likely keeps him here.
  • Kris Russell. NMC probably keeps him here.
  • Cam Talbot. I don’t believe it but his name is out there.

OLIVIER RODRIGUE

• Red Line Report: Between the pipes, Olivier Rodrigue is a guy we could see enticing a club looking for a goaltender to groom. He impressed us with outstanding reflexes and flexibility around the crease, combined with strong technique and an utter unwillingness to give up on plays.
  • McKeens: Although somewhat undersized by modern goaltender standards, Rodrigue is a mobile netminder who gets from post to post in a flash, has promising recovery ability and generally is a calm presence between the pipes.
  • International Scouting Services: A natural goalie. Willing to challenge shooters one-on-one. Very quick feet and movement. Able to track, and reposition very well. Positioning is very strong.
  • Corey Pronman, The Athletic: Rodrigue is a very calm goalie in between the pipes. He’s very smart, always seems to find a way to square up pucks and tracks pucks quite well. His quickness is OK, more average than above-average. (The Athletic)

OTTEN ON THE OHL KIDS

• On Evan Bouchard: His 87 points were the most for a first time draft eligible defender since Ryan Ellis put up 89 in his. His ability to start the breakout is his best asset, with his vision off the rush and his booming point shot a close 2nd and 3rd. Bouchard just has unreal vision from the defensive end and pinpoint accuracy with his stretch passes. When he’s on the ice, the Knights can go from being under attack in the defensive end to a 3 on 1 within a matter of seconds thanks to Bouchard’s ability to get the puck out. Source
  • On Ryan McLeod: McLeod has size, speed, and skill; the three S’s. His speed is a big factor off the rush and his skill with the puck allows him to make moves at top speed that creates even more space for himself or his linemates. His playmaking ability and vision with the puck are definitely strengths. On the powerplay, he’s a major threat because of this. But the consistency with which he uses his size is a tad concerning for me. He can be kept to the perimeter 5 on 5, and at times he struggles with his board play to extend possession.
  • Source

Brock will join me on Saturday Sports Extra at 2:20 this afternoon, we’ll discuss Bouchard, McLeod plus Kirill Maksimov and Dmitri Samorukov (Dylan Wells if we have a chance). Brock’s nuanced explanation of Bouchard’s skating is worth the price of admission.

The possibility exists so we might as well talk about it. The Western Conference, and specifically the Pacific Division, are primed to add free agents to their roster in the next 48 hours. Tavares in San Jose, Erik Karlsson in Vegas, Arizona is apparently in pursuit of JVR. Edmonton? Not a player.

I’ll suggest to you that it is best. The Oilers have their Aces and Kings, even the Jacks and 10’s but badly need value contracts that will deliver quality ROI. You make your bets, small ones, and work very much as a farmer. Success comes from the tall tree from Finland finding a place in the sun to grow, in the young American Yamamoto proving he can flourish in today’s NHL, Rattie, Czarnik, Pirri. The Bouchard selection proves the way is through procurement of youth, same as it ever was. Bill Torrey is missed, but his lessons are clear. It is time to plan the garden, plant the garden, and later, see what grows.

• Chance the gardener: In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

193 Responses to "Being There"

1. Woodguy v2.0 says:

And with this sentence LT ensures there is a block buster trade between EDM and either CAR or PIT.

2. leadfarmer says:

As predicted. Logan Couture will be getting near Draisatl money. Sure it’s for an UFA but you are also paying him the same big cap hit when he is 37

3. leadfarmer says:

I think most teams regret their big UFA Signings very quickly especially for these guys that are late 20s early 30s. Whoever signs JVR, Neal, Bozak will regret it pretty quick

4. DBO says:

Lucic will go to Arizona. Especially if they pursue JVR. Then they are stacking to make a run. And if they can show they are willing to take salary and load up, then Lucic may accept that trade since they will have decent players.

It will be a young player or prospect coming back, but it frees up money to pursue other players. If its MAroon and Reider for the same money as Lucic, then that is a solid deal.

So the Flames are going to get Tobias Rieder, Derek Ryan, and maybe James Neal.

And the Oilers are going to get Jason Chimera and Kyle Brodziak.

6. The Trade Guy says:

Gotta raise that floor Peter.

The Olivier Rodrigue scouting reports all the seem the same except Pronman who says he has average quickness? Everyone else says he has blinding post to post speed and lightning reflexes. I guess they could mean different things but hmmmmm…

7. stephen sheps says:

In the spring of 1997, I was in 10th grade and still trying to find my way in the world, particularly in terms of music. I knew I liked punk/indie/alternative, grew up on classic rock, soul and jazz. One group of my friends was deeply into jam bands (Phish, the Dead etc) and another deeply into industrial music (a la NIN, Skinny Puppy, Manson etc). As is the case in many people’s lives, especially in high school, I didn’t quite know where I really fit, since I liked pretty much everything I was exposed to but didn’t truly love a lot of it, especially the jam band thing.

In those days, Much Music was still a thing that actually played, well, music from time to time and they had an event called Snowjob, where various bands would go play on a mountain somewhere. The 1997 lineup featured Canadian Indie legends Sloan, a bunch of mid 90s post grunge crap and this ragged, sorta cow-punk sounding band called Wilco. Their live performances on that show seemed like a perfect hybrid of the Replacements and Crazy Horse, which at the time was exactly the sound I was looking for, something that felt like my own. The record they were touring was a double album called Being There, and if I were to put together a top 10 records that changed my life list (which would be really damn hard – I’d probably need 50 to make it truthful), Being There would be on it.

For your listening pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfmqTQgZlM

Ok, now I’ll read the thread.

This has been your daily edition of music with Sheps

8. slopitch says:

I’m with you LT. I’d move Lucic or Kassian for cap space. The 2019 pick I’d only move for a player under long term control from a team that needs cap space or cash relief (cap floor team). These picks have more value to Edmonton then teams like LA that attract players for non hockey reasons. I don’t see the need to move Klefbom anymore. They have Bouchard in the system and Klefs contract is too good.

If Lucic and/or Kassian are moved, that’s a lot of the muscle hires out the door (if you include Maroon). If so, perhaps we should consider a replacement? I would give Chai kudos for getting out of the Lucic contract if he can pull it off. Hard to say if he actually can and I do think Lucic will be better next year but overall that contract is nasty. If you can get out, do it.

Brodziak and Czarnik would be fine by me. Lucic contract freed up bonus. Plant and wait for the harvest. Regression will get them close to the playoffs and development from a guy like JP could be enough. Plan for improvement in 2019, prosper in 2020+.

9. vangolf says:

stephen sheps,

I too immediately thought of wilco when I saw the title of the thread. this album, together with AM and the earlier uncle Tupelo material, introduced me to a sound that blew me away. Tweedy is coming to vancouver in the fall on a solo tour and I’m counting the days!

10. Crazy Pedestrian says:

godot10:
    So the Flames are going to get Tobias Rieder, Derek Ryan, and maybe James Neal.

And the Oilers are going to get Jason Chimera and Kyle Brodziak.

Man… that’s just evil. If that does happen I think I might cry copper tears…

11. Westchester Oil says:

Being There – classic Peter Sellers. LT – thanks for the reminder to rewatch it.

You’re right that not having big bucks to spend on July 1 is probably a blessing. There’s a winner curse with the vast majority of free agents signed over $2-3 million per year. Yzerman signing Anton Stralman a couple years ago might be one of the few exceptions.

stephen sheps:

For your listening pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfmqTQgZlM

Ok, now I’ll read the thread.

This has been your daily edition of music with Sheps

The pre-cursor band to Wilco was Uncle Tupelo, and the successor bands were Wilco (Jeff Tweedy) and Son Volt (Jay Farrar)

Uncle Tupelo is sort of the Nirvana of alt-country (with the signature album “No Depression”) that spawned the term, but alt-country was always around since Gram Parsons.(maybe Woody Guthrie, maybe the Carter family), just like grunge really pre-dated Nirvana and Seattle.

I also really liked Lone Justice, which pre-dated Uncle Tupelo in the eighties. They would have been huge but they couldn’t handle the music industry or success. Maria McKee was just too young when Lone Justice broke, and the band couldn’t weather the storm.

Wilco evolved to defy categorization into one of the most essential bands of the late nineties and naughts, like Radiohead.

13. JimmyV1965 says:

godot10:
    So the Flames are going to get Tobias Rieder, Derek Ryan, and maybe James Neal.

And the Oilers are going to get Jason Chimera and Kyle Brodziak.

You must be a laugh riot at parties.

14. leadfarmer says:

godot10:
    So the Flames are going to get Tobias Rieder, Derek Ryan, and maybe James Neal.

And the Oilers are going to get Jason Chimera and Kyle Brodziak.

I hope so. Hope they give Neal a 7 year 6 million a year contract with a NMC that they will never regret 🙂
    It’s pretty funny that they are only interested in players after Oil express interest

Crazy Pedestrian: Man… that’s just evil. If that does happen I think I might cry copper tears…

I always try to articulate my worst fears, the worst case scenario, to prepare.

16. Mr DeBakey says:

Doug Weight traded to the St Louis Blues by the Edmonton Oilers for Jochen Hecht & Marty Reasoner on June 30 2001.

I remember how excited I was by the emergence of Mike Comrie.
    With Weight it gave the Oilers a one-two punch they hadn’t had in a decade.

Immediately after the kids were out of school in 2001, we headed for a lakeside cabin in the BC interior.
    About mid-week I picked up a paper just to see what was going on in the world.
    It was one of the Vancouver papers and in the Sports section there was this passing reference to Doug Weight in St Louis.
    I’m goin’, “What, What, WHAT…??

17. stephen sheps says:

godot10: Uncle Tupelo is sort of the Nirvana of alt-country (with the signature album “No Depression”) that spawned the term

It’s still mind blowing to me that when Son Volt and Wilco emerged from the ashes of Tupelo that people assumed Farrar’s band would be the winner of the breakup. Sure they had the stronger debut, but even by the time Anodyne came out, it was clear that Jeff was the better songwriter. Though to be fair, since I was firmly on team Tweedy at that point and only discovered Tupelo after the fact, a bit of bias might have already been at play.

Funny how you put Wilco and Radiohead into a similar camp – I do the same in terms of influence/impact on music from that era, but the band they actually shared some DNA with was oddly Sonic Youth, with whom they had shared custody over producer and multi-instrumentalist avant-garde weirdo Jim O’Rourke between 2000 & 2005

18. OriginalPouzar says:

1.89 P/60 and these crazy d-zone start numbers really make this a no-brainer signing if its in and around $1M and no longer than 2 years. That corsi-rel doesn’t look good but it could be a function of zone starts.

I don’t think that offensive production is sustainable (he had 11 points a few years ago) but this is perfect cover so guys like Brad Malone aren’t breaking camp with the team.

19. vangolf says:

stephen sheps: Yeah, No Depression was the ‘big’ album, but as far as Uncle Tupelo goes, give me Anodyne or March 16-20, 1992 (Recorded by Peter Buck!) any day of the week.

I think that the breakup winner proclamations were largely based on lukewarm reception for wilco’s debut AM compared to son volt’s debut Trace. The latter being hailed at the time as the much better work. AM has actually aged well and sets the stage for the later masterworks, whereas after Trace son volt started to fade to more obscurity.

20. OriginalPouzar says:

Dougie Weight was my favorite Oiler of the era (followed by Boris Mironov) and remains one of my favorite Oilers of all time.

I remember the Doug Weight riots, yes, the city rioted when he was traded. I actually missed the riots which was odd. I spend many a night on Whyte back in those days – pretty much every party night, however, I was at a special party (can’t remember what the occasion was) somewhere in WEM that night and didn’t even know the city rioted for Dougie until the next day.

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

@CraigCustance

Tons of interest in Michigan native Austin Czarnik. 24 teams called. Sounds like he’s got it pretty narrowed down. Expect a 2-year deal with a team in the West.

Is LT getting his wish?

22. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:
    So the Flames are going to get Tobias Rieder, Derek Ryan, and maybe James Neal.

And the Oilers are going to get Jason Chimera and Kyle Brodziak.

All three of those players mentioned for the flames are going to get overpaid and likely not live up to their contracts.

I don’t believe those players push the needle for the flames at all and i believe their new roster will be in a similar position to their 201718 roster.

Mike Smith and Mark Giordano are not getting any younger and the aggregate of their moves still has the best player leaving the organization (Hamilton). Hanifin has nice potential but he is not Hamilton and never will be and Lindholm is a middle six winger that will be forced up the lineup and on to the PP where he is pretty bad – take a look at his PP numbers over the years, pretty bad.

23. tileguy says:

Ahhh the nostalgia of Lowetides articles, Being there, Uncle Tupelo, Dougie Weight trade, any of you knuckleheads take part in the Canada day riots on Whyte? Somebody must have a good story to tell.

The first two Son Volt albums are pretty good though. Farrar doesn’t have the expansive range of Tweedy stylistically, but he is awfully good at what he does.

My favourite Tupelo album is their second…Still Feel Gone.

Wilco, though, emerged to be an essential band.

25. Woodguy v2.0 says:

@Bob_Stauffer
    On top of targeting a veteran C like a Brodziak as per @SportsnetSpec mentioned.
    I could see the Oilers providing an opportunity for a RW ready to take the next step to the NHL.
    Evan Bouchard’s arrival lessens the need to add a 6/7 D…at least in the short term IMO.

Is Bob telegraphing Czarnik here?

26. leadfarmer says:

OriginalPouzar,

Flames season ends when Smith gets injured. You know it’s coming. Last year it happened later than usual

I think Rieder, Czarnik, and Brodziak (and moving out the cap space to make it happen) would be a good summer for the OIlers. I would be happy with that.

I don’t think moving Lucic is a real possibility. I would be happy if it happened though.

28. Glass says:

Does signing Czarnik nix the Brodziak deal?

Czarnik looks like he could either be a 4C or get a look at RW somewhere in the line-up. Brodziak, if signed, is for sure the 4C.

29. texmex says:

Mason now joins crowded goalie market with Lehner, Khudobin, Mrazek, Lehtonen, Halak, Pavelec, Hutchinson, Brossoit and then Craig Anderson on Trade Bait. #supply #demand

How many sign for less than 2.5 million??

30. Nix says:

I believe it was Wilcos ‘Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’ that started all the Radiohead comparisons. They took a bit of a step down an experimental path and churned out a great album.

31. leadfarmer says:

godot10,

In my opinion 4th liners should be penalty killers. I absolutely hate the idea of putting the franchise out there to block slap shots on the pk. Break a bone seasons over for the team. Let the defensive specialists handle those minutes

32. leadfarmer says:

texmex:

How many sign for less than 2.5 million??

How many of those guys do you actually want. Carolina will probably pay more and Buffalo too. Anderson is an absolute no go. 35+ contract.

33. texmex says:

Any interest in Tyler ennis?

34. dustrock says:

Does Bouchard track to be a better player than Parayko? Is he a better-passing Parayko?

Then let’s keep our powder dry on shooting the moon for the mythic RHD PP

35. Durag says:

texmex:

How many sign for less than 2.5 million??

36. Crazy Pedestrian says:

texmex:

How many sign for less than 2.5 million??

At least I’m hoping that’s what went down. It’s a little easier to stomach knowing multiple GMs were battling it out to sign him.

If not, then Chia has definately lost the script…

37. leadfarmer says:

Durag,

Yes but Lehner and Hutton will go were they will likely be starters so no go on them. They have those contracts done already. Sounds like Hutton is going to Buffalo and lehner to Carolina and Ward to Chicago. Pavelec, Brossoit, Hutchinson are not NHL quality. Anderson contract is atrocious. I thought Mrazek was going to be a star goalie years ago. He sucks. So Khudobin and Halak. Lehtonen will be 35 soon. Guys who aren’t very good goalies fall apart younger.
    Personally I would have gone with Khudobin but I don’t think he’d come cheaper and I haven’t seen Koskinen play to be a judge

38. Munny says:

That was a helluva match between France and Argentina. Hopefully Uruguay and Portugal is as entertaining.

39. Scungilli Slushy says:

Durag: Hutton too. That Koskinen signing remains baffling. Here’s hoping someone knew something wonderful about him.

Swedish Poster said he was considered the best goalie in Europe. Doesn’t necessarily translate to the NHL, but he’s a well known player there.

40. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: Hanifin has nice potential but he is not Hamilton and never will be

Never will be? You can’t know this. Hanifin’s numbers are pretty similar to what Dougie’s were after three seasons. Remains to be seen at this point.*

*unless of course you were just employing Anti-Flame rhetoric, in which case I completely agree.

41. leadfarmer says:

Munny: Never will be? You can’t know this.Hanifin’s numbers are pretty similar to what Dougie’s were after three seasons.Remains to be seen at this point.*

Some scouts have been questioning his upside so that is out there. Looks like he’s going to be tied to Hamonic next year. He’s had offensive push in his time in NHL. This may end

42. Munny says:

leadfarmer,

Some scouts questioning is a transatlantic flight from “Never”.

Playing for Carolina is not exactly the same offensive push as playing for Boston.

43. Fuhr and Lowething. says:

UFA: Nail Yakupov.

44. McSorley33 says:

If you are Czarnik – and scan the Oilers depth chart for wingers. Then take a look at our top
    2 C’s.

I’ll take Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl for 100 Alex.

45. Munny says:

Hjarlmarsson 2 yr extension at $5M AAV, reportedly (Friedman).

46. leadfarmer says:

Munny,

Ok?! Just saying it’s out there. Some guys take the next step some guys like Tyler Myers don’t. That is all. Carolina clearly wanted the developed player even though Hanifin fits their Necas, Svechnikov cluster a lot better.

47. Pescador says:

dustrock:

Then let’s keep our powder dry on shooting the moon for the mythic RHD PP

You heard it here first,
    Dustrock: “Bouchard, better then Parayko book it” 😁

48. Munny says:

Fuhr and Lowething.:
    UFA: Nail Yakupov.

He might be playing in UFA next season.

49. Oilman99 says:

leadfarmer: Some scouts have been questioning his upside so that is out there.Looks like he’s going to be tied to Hamonic next year. He’s had offensive push in his time in NHL.This may end

50. Munny says:

leadfarmer:
    Munny,

Ok?! Just saying it’s out there.Some guys take the next step some guys like Tyler Myers don’t.

Exactly my point… the future is up in the air.

51. leadfarmer says:

Munny:
    Hjarlmarsson 2 yr extension at $5M AAV, reportedly (Friedman).

But why? He has a contract next year and is slowing down. At least it’s only2 years

52. leadfarmer says:

Oilman99: The coach knows the player and how he performed on a bad team,he obviously thinks his up side is big with a better team.

Is it a better team? Subtract Smith and add Darling. Any better?

53. digger50 says:

I would like to see Lucic out for an NHL ready prospect, some salary retained. I do think he can bounce back, but if opportunity knocks here, you grab it to get out from under that contract.

I would like to see his goals, size and leadership replaced with Maroon.

I would love to see the coaching staff come in with open minds. Kassian could well be the answer to play up the line up. Strome may be the best right winger with McDavid. Different season, different comfort level for Strome.
    An open mind brings different options, and I’m not talking about Tmac version of “giving someone a shot” using the in game blender.

Bring in the best skill possable, regardless of position.

I believe the Oilers roster whiteboard is different from LT’s. They have Ethan Bear as number 7 dman. That had him up 25 games last season. They could have tried Lowe or gave more time to Auvitu. I hthink they telegraphed this, they are betting on the Bear.

54. Richard S.S. says:

The Clock slowly ticks away to the July 1st Feeding Frenzy/Free Agent Signing Period. Signing Bonuses get paid around the same time, so some trades are likely now. Whether a team can go Big Game hunting, Mid-Level acquiring, Economy Shopping or Bargain Basement scraping, some things stay the same. The best/most effective at each category sign early, generally for more money and term than should be paid. That always happens.

In 2015 and 2016 Peter Chiarelli went Big Game hunting with his Free Agent signing and Trades. In 2015 Connor McDavid basically missed half a season to injury after being assaulted on the ice. In 2016 Connor McDavid played every game and took the Oilers to the 7th game of the 2nd Round of the Playoffs. Less blatant anti-Oiler officiating and some offense from the Second Line – anything is possible. In 2017 after clearing out the under-achievers, Peter Chiarelli went Bargain Basement scraping and basically did nothing much. Connor McDavid played every game, but the Oilers missed the Playoffs by a large margain.

If I had my choice, I’d rather have Peter Chiarelli go Big Game hunting. At least they are game changers. Bargain Basement scraping may be all that the Oilers can afford to do, but too many things must go more than just right. Better pray Peter Chiarelli finds some magic.

55. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Munny: He might be playing in UFA next season.

Well done

56. Woodguy v2.0 says:

@ChunkletsHockey

#KHL: #Oilers forward Anton Slepyshev has reportedly agreed on a two-year deal with CSKA Moscow, to be officially announced tomorrow.

57. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    @ChunkletsHockey

If only he grew up playing in Taber

58. RonnieB says:

digger50:

I would like to see his goals, size and leadership replaced with Maroon.

Bring in the best skill possable, regardless of position.

59. Doug McLachlan says:

texmex,

Apparently Cam Ward signing with Chicago for $2.5M, so that is a dodged bullet IMO.

60. Scungilli Slushy says:

leadfarmer:
    godot10,

In my opinion 4th liners should be penalty killers.I absolutely hate the idea of putting the franchise out there to block slap shots on the pk.Break a bone seasons over for the team.Let the defensive specialists handle those minutes

Me too. I think part of it was the PK was so bad, having Connor lurking the blueline might cause the PP to be more cautious.

If they get it back to normal we might see less skill players.

I am concerned about riding the best players too much. If they make the playoffs and Connor has been playing 20% more than any other forward in the league, how much will he have left?

His game is based on speed and explosiveness. I’d like to see him down to normal levels and give 100% all game, not that at this point he tails off much.

I also think the risk of injury is higher with more fatigued players.

Get Brodziak or the like and make a 4th line that can play and carry some load. I’m less concerned with scoring than goal share for them. Make a 3rd line that also can saw off and get at least average scoring, play the bottom two more and have more energized scoring lines.

Joe Haggerty

Verified account

@HackswithHaggs
    7m7 minutes ago
    A lot of interest in Austin Czarnik in free agency, so he appears to be long gone from Bruins. I believe Edmonton is one of the teams making a strong push for him. Czarnik has some talent, but I think he’s a AAAA player. Not enough speed or strength to be consistent NHL player

Bob Stauffer

Verified account

@Bob_Stauffer
    1m1 minute ago
    Several references out there on the Oilers being in the mix on Austin Czarnik who Peter Chiarelli signed out of College (Miami).
    IMO Edmonton is a longshot to sign him

63. Fuhr and Lowething. says:

Munny: He might be playing in UFA next season.

Haha, indeed. Well played.

64. Nix says:

Munny: He might be playing in UFA next season.

Well played sir.

65. T0ML says:

Will DSF’s head explode to have Joe Colburne Jr (Drai) and the OG on the same team ?

Dustin Nielson

@nielsonTSN1260
    Following Following @nielsonTSN1260
    From two different sources now…Oilers are one of at least three teams that have reached out to Joe Colborne. Big fella needs to stay healthy. I’m guessing he’s going to have to settle for a two-way deal somewhere. Chiarelli originally drafted him, Oilers were in mix 2 years ago

3:27 PM – 29 Jun 2018

66. Richard S.S. says:

The WOODGUY V2.0 post at 9:55 AM has Bob Stauffer saying, “…I could see the Oilers providing an opportunity for a RW ready to take the next step to the NHL…”.
    The LOWETIDE post ar 1221 PM has Bob Stauffer saying, “…Several references out there on the Oilers being in the mix on Austin Czarnik…IMO Edmonton is a longshot to sign him.”
    That’s interesting, who’s the RW Stauffer is suggesting?

67. bendelson says:

Just a quick note to thank everyone who chimed in yesterday on what they are listening to this summer. The responses went above and beyond my expectations… outside of Sheps and Melvis, of course, whom I anticipated would deliver something special. Really great stuff guys…

Where are thou, Stevezie?

I listened to and enjoyed Iceage for the first time last night… victory! Discovering something new was the whole point of the exercise. Again… nicely done, gang! I love this place.

68. RonnieB says:

T0ML:
    Richard S.S.,

Carr?

Nope. Carr is a leftie.

leadfarmer: But why?He has a contract next year and is slowing down.At least it’s only2 years

1) He is good friends with Ekman-Larsson.
    2) He is worth far more in a trade if he is signed.
    3) Arizona has cap space up the wazoo.

70. Richard S.S. says:

The Oilers’ RD is Bear, Benning, Bouchard and Larson.
    The Oilers’ LD is Klefbom, Nurse, Russell, and Sekera.
    Despite any Oiler needs here change may not come, indeed might not be necessary.
    Considering that the #7 D need not play very much, someone other than the above eight might make the Team.

71. defmn says:

Richard S.S.,

Yamomoto is the obvious answer imo

72. Pretendergast says:

Can we get the season rolling along already so I can stop thinking about what 4th liner the Oilers will audition and get to more Mcdavid making everyone look silly?

Watched highlight where Connor scored with no help, then saw Yakupov, Fayne, and Korpikoski celebrate with him. Woof.

73. defmn says:

Richard S.S.:
    The Oilers’ RD is Bear, Benning, Bouchard and Larson.
    The Oilers’ LD is Klefbom, Nurse, Russell, and Sekera.

The Oilers may well open the season dressing 7 dmen and alternate Draisaitl and McDavid on the 4th line for 7-8 minutes allowing Bouchard to play on the PP and very sheltered minutes 3rd pairing. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it in exhibition games and maybe the start of the season.

74. Pescador says:

Joe Haggerty

Verified account

@HackswithHaggs7m7 minutes ago

Matt Fraser 2.0?

75. Todd Macallan says:

Reider looks to be an Oiler…… As per Eklund. Damn, so close.

76. --hudson-- says:

Todd Macallan:
    Reider looks to be an Oiler…… As per Eklund. Damn, so close.

If the rumour he’s looking for over $3M are true, I’m not sure that’s good value. That would make the Caggiula contract look good.

77. Pescador says:

Todd Macallan:
    Reider looks to be an Oiler…… As per Eklund. Damn, so close.

I saw nothing about this on his Twit feed

78. OriginalPouzar says:

leadfarmer:
    godot10,

Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand, Anze Kopitar, Barkov, Seguin, Wheeler, Toes, William Karlsson – just a few of the forwards that averages more PK TOI/Game than McDavid.

I’m find with McDavid getting some PK time – No, I don’t think he should get 2 plus minutes per game but some PK time is just fine. He’s dangerous out there and I think he changes the way the PP runs.

I don’t think he’s intentionally blocking shots but, sure, I there is a chance of injury but there is a chance of injury every time he’s on the ice. Players get hurt on inconsequential plays just as much as going down to block shots on the PK – look at Sekera’s injury.

I understand your point but I’m fine with a bit of PK time.

79. OriginalPouzar says:

Crazy Pedestrian: There must have been a reason why he signed him at $2.5M. Maybe there was more demand for him than we know, and after a back and forth auction between multiple teams, Chia ended up being the highest bidder.

If not, then Chia has definately lost the script…

I know some people with some decent contacts to pro hockey in Europe and, yes, there were multiple offers for Koskinen and, from accounts, other offers in the realm of what the Oilers ended up paying.

That does not mitigate the egregiousness of that contract for me though. Chia has an option, you know, to WALK AWAY – this organization was not (and is not) in a position to offer that type of contract to that type of unproven player.

This was another example, in my opinion, of Chiarelli hard-targeted a specific player and doing what needed to be done to “get his guy”.

Here is hoping that Koskinen is the next Kipper!

80. OriginalPouzar says:

If Hanifin played on a bad team last year then he is going from one bad team to another (and the team he is going to traded their best offensive d-man, a rightie with a great contract)

81. stephen sheps says:

bendelson:
    Just a quick note to thank everyone who chimed in yesterday on what they are listening to this summer.The responses went above and beyond my expectations… outside of Sheps and Melvis, of course, whom I anticipated would deliver something special.Really great stuff guys…

Where are thou, Stevezie?

I listened to and enjoyed Iceage for the first time last night… victory!Discovering something new was the whole point of the exercise.Again…nicely done, gang!I love this place.

Happy to get someone on board that particular bandwagon. I love that band so much, but some are really turned off the vocals. Personally I like things that sound like Nick Cave and Shane McGowan’s lovechild but YMMV

Thanks to all those who indulged me with more music talk this morning. I’m working on an academic piece on hockey right now so I’m usually too focused on that project to contribute to the annual dog days of summer rumours and wheel of conjecture. It’s so nice to be able to drop in, see the convos and not feel any pressure to write about the Oilers necessarily but still be part of the dialogue. Y’all are great. Thanks, friends.

82. Munny says:

If there’s no Lucic deal, and Chia is stating he’s shopping for bottom 6ers, there’s a pretty good chance he Oil break camp with Looch beside Drai at 2LW…

Just mentally preparing myself for this eventuality.

Is anyone having a hard time accessing the blog?

84. Side says:

Is anyone having a hard time accessing the blog?

I couldn’t see today’s post this morning so I had to log on to see it (using Chrome on PC).

Haven’t had issues accessing the blog on my phone today though (also using Chrome on phone).

85. Cerberus says:

Not having any issues today. S8 android.

86. stephen sheps says:

Is anyone having a hard time accessing the blog?

it wasn’t working for a few minutes not too long ago. Logging in makes it work on my phone, doesn’t seem to be having the same issues as earlier in the week, or at least not as often.

87. Cerberus says:

OriginalPouzar,

I believe that your last sentence is exactly what pc is hoping for.

88. Professor Q says:

Munny:

89. Moonlight says:

I have to log in to see the comments. This is from my LG V30 Android. LT I don’t post often but thanks for giving Oil fans a place to discuss and vent at the ongoing follies of Oiler management. I’m from Ottawa and have cheered my Oilers on for over 35 years despite being in a sea of Senators, Leafs and Habs fans. Go Oilers Go.

90. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Is anyone having a hard time accessing the blog?

Had a problem for a while on my phone.

I could reach other sites so don’t blame my phone.

Edit: phone is android

91. Fuhr and Lowething. says:

Is anyone having a hard time accessing the blog?

Yes, not accessing it per se, but reading the comments and the comments not updating. Only on my android phone though. . I’ve had no issues on my pc though.

92. Westchester Oil says:

Drew Doughty can play on my team anyday, but his new contract is awfully pricey. I know the situations aren’t comparable, but McDavid’s contract is an absolute steal by comparison.

Without much cap space and no pending UFA stars to sign, I’m hoping Chia won’t be able to make as many major blunders going forward and the rest of the league could catch up to us in the bad contract competition.

93. New Improved Darkness says:

Just five minutes ago, on my usual system, this post came up with no comments. Then when I refreshed, all the comments appeared.

So something is flaky right now that’s not client specific.

94. bendelson says:

Just a quick anecdote about my music history and well, brothers…

With paper route money in hand, my older brother and I caught the bus to the Zellers at Meadowlark Mall – circa 1980. I didn’t have an album in mind, but was very excited b/c a purchase was going to be made, my first no less…

Thumbing through the selections, it quickly became clear we wanted to purchase the same album. I recall being very angry with my older brother at this turn of events and as a result, searched for a 2nd choice, settling on The Police’s Zenyatta Mondatta as my back-up selection.

I debated back and forth… what to do? It was clear my brother was not going to relent.

In the end, I made the ridiculous choice to not allow my brother to dictate my purchase… and stubbornly, ended up purchasing the very same album: The Best of ABBA.

Man. Brothers.

95. Pescador says:

Is anyone having a hard time accessing the blog?

Just on an intellectual level

96. innercitysmytty says:

bendelson,

Bought my very first vinyl at that same Zellers a couple years after that. Thriller by MJ. My tastes have changed slightly since and I like a wide variety of music. Check out the local band Gateway Blvd as another music suggestion.

97. innercitysmytty says:

Westchester Oil,

Agree completely on this. Leadfarmer has been saying all along and I’m with him on this, the contracts being signed in the coming days will make Drai’s deal look a whole lot better. I take Drai at $8.5 anyday over Couture at $8. If the Sharks sign JT for $11-12, him and Couture at a combined $20 is nowhere near the value of Connor and Drai at $21.5 even next year, nevermind 3-4 years from now.

98. Munny says:

Is anyone having a hard time accessing the blog?

Did you qualify the blog? Does it have arb rights? I hope to Gord it is not turning UFA at noon EST tomorrow. 😉

IE at home, Chrome at work and it has worked fine for me all week. But since the move to wordpress, it has always hidden posts from me when not logged in.

99. Nix says:

Appropos of nothing, just watched ‘Watchmen’ and had a thought. The antihero Rorschach lands in a prison full of convicts he put there and it’s implied he is toast since he’s stuck in there with them. Turns out the opposite…they were all stuck in there with HIM.

Maybe Ive been looking at that ominous schedule right after the Oil open in Europe the wrong way. Many top teams expected to grind us up from the get go and doom and gloom to ensue.

But..

Perhaps this is the year Connor starts to get a little cocky.
    Perhaps all those teams are stuck in here with US.

100. jtblack says:

Phone works fine.. On computer sometimes the new day wont load.

101. anonymous says:

Have to be logged in or get yesterdays blog.

102. Ryan says:

anonymous:

Have to be logged in or get yesterdays blog.

Lowetide has to contact Go Daddy to flush his cache or contact someone like Woodguy who’s flush with cash for an upgraded VPS hosting plan. 🙂

103. Slocanoil says:

Have to login, otherwise no comments or they don’t update.

104. HT Joe says:

Slocanoil:

Have to login, otherwise no comments or they don’t update.

For what it’s worth, I’m using safari on a macbook, and I appear to be seeing the same comments before and after logging in, and refresh is working just fine.

105. Pescador says:

Nix:

But..

Perhaps this is the year Connor starts to get a little cocky.Perhaps that young conduit of the hockey gods expressed on this plane for us to bear witness has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Lord help the league if so.Perhaps we are not last years team after all and are but a soft Yawney whisper and a mere Lucic flip away from things clicking?Perhaps all those teams are stuck in here with US.I think I will choose to believe this and cant wait for the season. Thank you LT for this place.

That sequence with Malin Ackerman,
    Lordy, what a magnificent thespian

106. Ryan says:

Woodguy v2.0: Had a problem for a while on my phone.

I could reach other sites so don’t blame my phone.

Edit: phone is android

Traitor! Where’s the Blackberry?

107. Johnny Larue says:

I think it’s the best move is to make the changes on the margins and hope we can find a diamond in the rough. Our young core should be better and hopefully our special teams will be hugely successful with the new coaches. In regards to music in the early 80’s it was bands like 999, stiff little fingers, Generation X. Saw Billy Idol at the Sub theatre best concert ever someone fell out of the balcony was OK but the place was crazy. Also was at the Canda Day riots only as a passive observer but I don’t remember Doug Weight being mentioned. Looking forward to the start of the Season as I am signed up for theOilers Now trip to Europe

108. Richard S.S. says:

It doesn’t like Apple.

109. Scungilli Slushy says:

Is anyone having a hard time accessing the blog?

Well, it is full of dinks.

iPhone fine
    PC had to log into yesterday’s post this AM.

110. McNuge93 says:

innercitysmytty,

Yes, and then the Matthews Laine and Marner extensions. But it was the McD and Drai contracts that have set the new bar. As you say they won’t look so bad they n a year or two.

111. deardylan says:

I opened blog and the comments wouldn’t load. When I clicked on the “recent comments” on the right then it did. Using Mac laptop with Safari. On mobile worked perfectly.

112. Woodguy v2.0 says:

bendelson:
    Just a quick anecdote about my music history and well, brothers…

With paper route money in hand, my older brother and I caught the bus to the Zellers at Meadowlark Mall – circa 1980.I didn’t have an album in mind, but was very excited b/c a purchase was going to be made, my first no less…

Thumbing through the selections, it quickly became clear we wanted to purchase the same album.I recall being very angry with my older brother at this turn of events and as a result, searched for a 2nd choice, settling on The Police’s Zenyatta Mondatta as my back-up selection.

I debated back and forth… what to do?It was clear my brother was not going to relent.

In the end, I made the ridiculous choice to not allow my brother to dictate my purchase… and stubbornly, ended up purchasing the very same album:The Best of ABBA.

Man.Brothers.

My sister worked at the very same Zellers in Meadowlark.

My brother worked there later, but that’s an aside to this story.

My Dad sold real estate so was out many nights and when he was, my Mom would load me and my brother up in the Ford Courier (learned to drive in that truck. 4 speed) and go pick up my sister after work.

Winter 1981, we had CHED on the radio and they’d always play the top 3 songs of the day at 9pm, when my sister got off.

The radio was AM only and had 5 large push buttons for your pre-sets.

Mom would let us change from CFCW to CHED when we all got in the truck. Single bench seat, 2 seat belts. 4 of us often.

For the entire winter the top 2 songs were “Let’s Get Physical” by Olivia Newton John and “Take Off” by Bob & Doug McKenzie with special guest Geddy Lee.

The things you remember.

True Story.

Also,

10 bucks is 10 bucks.

113. Jordan says:

No issues on either my Android.

Sometimes have to log in on my laptop or PC to see all the comments. Overall functionality once logged in is 100% as far as I can tell.

Here’s hoping the oilers keep this summer quiet, and Lucic moves on to a city he and his family are happier in.

Nothing more important than family.

114. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ryan: Traitor! Where’s the Blackberry?

Its a Blackberry Key 2 running Android.

Great phone despite the awful autocorrect.

115. ashley says:

Joe Haggerty

Verified account

@HackswithHaggs7m7 minutes ago

Reminds me of the AHL savant Alexandre Giroux. Just as much hype too.

Woodguy v2.0: My sister worked at the very same Zellers in Meadowlark.

My brother worked there later, but that’s an aside to this story.

My Dad sold real estate so was out many nights and when he was, my Mom would load me and my brother up in the Ford Courier (learned to drive in that truck. 4 speed)and go pick up my sister after work.

The radio was AM only and had 5 large push buttons for your pre-sets.

Mom would let us change from CFCW to CHED when we all got in the truck.Single bench seat, 2 seat belts.4 of us often.

The things you remember.

True Story.

Also,

10 bucks is 10 bucks.

Fun physics fact: Olivia Newton John is the granddaughter of Max Born.

117. mustang says:

Richard S.S.:

It doesn’t like Apple.

No problems at all with my mac(chrome)

118. bendelson says:

Woodguy v2.0: 10 bucks is 10 bucks.

Still own that LP today… beauty.

119. jm363561 says:

innercitysmytty:
    Westchester Oil,

120. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10: Max Born

Despite being a layman interested in physics I had to google “Max Born”

Love these three quotes from him:

The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world.

I am now convinced that theoretical physics is actually philosophy.

Intellect distinguishes between the possible and the impossible; reason distinguishes between the sensible and the senseless. Even the possible can be senseless.

121. Woodguy v2.0 says:

bendelson: Still own that LP today…beauty.

I had two copies for some reason.

Alas, they are lost to time.

Great album.

Also,

Ernie’s Mom sucks his toes

Also,

“THE GUY’S GOT 10 TABLES IN 3 SPOTS!!”

122. Oilman99 says:

RonnieB: Would you be willing to pay Maroon $4 to $5 million AAV on a 4 or 5 year contract ? That’s what the market is suggesting he will receive. Maybe a small hometown discount for St. Louis.

Typical fa overpay, this league is getting out of hand.

123. Oilman99 says:

OriginalPouzar: Calgary finished 1 point ahead of Carolina last year (and Calgary had the worse goal differential, by 2).

124. Ryan says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I’m a ten-year Lowetide commentator.

I’d be happy to help enhance the hosting of this website.

Woodguy/You is/are my designated contact if Lowetide is interested.

125. innercitysmytty says:

jm363561,

I get that side of it and a straight up comparison isn’t fair based on ufa status, age and other factors. However, if you’re building a team, I would rather pay full price to a 22-29 year old that is in the prime of his career for the bulk of that, than pay the same amount for someone on the down side of their career near the outset of the contract. I think Chia and a few other GMs over the past 2-3 years have recognized this and we’ll see more large 2nd contracts and fewer dollars available for UFAs moving forward. When Leon was signed it was a slight overpay, but when we see the RFA dial move more with Laine, Matthews, Marner and others I don’t think it will look too bad. At the end of the day production and the ability to push the river mean more to me than the age of the player and whether they “deserve” the contract in the traditional sense.

Edit: And I’m no Chia apologist but I think he’s on the right side of the curve on this type of contract compared to most other ways that he team builds.

126. innercitysmytty says:

jm363561,

At the end of the day I guess all I’m saying is that I would rather Leon on my team at $8.5 than Couture on my team at $8. Leon has outscored him the past two years 147 to 113 and that’s with minimal PP production last year (though Couture played slightly fewer games). And that gap will likely continue to increase over the length of these two deals.

Haven’t dug into the fancies as a comparison, but I would suspect Couture may look slightly better by those metrics.

127. frjohnk says:

jm363561: Respectfully disagree on this. Doughty, Tavares and Couture are UFAs. Proven studs. When we see RFAs signing Drai sized contracts we can declare victory. Stiil hate this contract – a typical Chia reckless gamble on Play Off Leon showing up for eight more years.

Like you mention, Drais current contract should only be compared to players who signed their 2nd contract coming out of ELC. Comparing Drais contract when the majority of his years in his contract are still RFA when the team has leverage compared to a player signing his 3rd or 4th contract in which he is arbitration eligible and/orUFA and the team has less to no leverage is not comparing apples to apples.

If one is looks at 2nd contracts, age and production, Draisaitls comparables ( contracts signed from 15 to 17) are

Tarasenko, Vladimir $7,500,000
    Eichel, Jack $10,000,000
    Scheifele, Mark $6,125,000
    Monahan, Sean $6,375,000
    MacKinnon, Nathan $6,300,000
    Gaudreau, Johnny $6,750,000
    Pastrnak, David $6,666,666
    Ehlers, Nikolaj $6,000,000
    Forsberg, Filip $6,000,000
    Saad, Brandon $6,000,000
    Barkov, Aleksander $5,900,000

I think Eichel is one helluva player, could turn out to be the best player in this list, but he is overpaid when looking at his comparables.
    I believe the same with Draisaitl. But would rather say, “he is paid more than what his comparables are being paid”

Barkov and Mac are absolute steals.

This means that in a cap world, for the Oilers, they need to find more cap efficiencies throughout the rest of the roster. Reverse paper cut moves I guess.

Eventually, we will see some players in Drais position ( age, 2nd contract, production) signing near and above his AAV in the next few years. I dont think its a bargain at the moment, but it will be at the end of it.

And if anybody is asking, I would totally have Drai with his contract than Couture with his, hands down, but we need to remember we shouldnt be comparing Drai to Couture. The Couture comparison for us is more like with Lucic. For that, I will say that I have all the time for Lucic the person, as for the contract……

128. YKOil says:

Maybe it’s just me… but the VGK Reaves deal ($2.775 AAV for 2 years) starts to make a post-July 1 Lucic deal look somewhat appetizing. Lucic term is still an issue, but Lucic at $4.5 vs. Reaves at $2.775 is a interesting discussion if a team is looking for muscle.

129. leadfarmer says:

frjohnk,

Now do preMcdavid contract and do post Mcdavid. Mcdavid has changed everything. If you are doing comparisons to two years ago you may want to unplug your tv tomorrow

130. leadfarmer says:

YKOil,

That is a lot of money for gritensity. Actually you could get a line of gritensity for that money

131. Atc-Nate says:

I’ve had issues for a few days Lowetide. I assumed you’d given up posting at 8:30 sometime around draft day… Samsung S7 edge, S9 plus, apple iPad. Had to login today to see comments.

132. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilman99: With al the cap space the Flickers have, there is no way they are not better next season. My point was the coach knows the player. Tell me you wouldn’t like Hanifin on your team.

I would like Hanifin on my team, for sure. I’d like Dougie Hamilton on my team more.

I was responding to a point the Hanifin will be better this year because of being on a better team.

The teams were equally bad last year (in fact, one could posit that CAR was actually a better team with worse goaltending) so he’s going to a bad team – a team that has got worse this off-season so far by trading their top right shot d-man who led all D-men in goals last year.

133. Pescador says:

frjohnk,

2 things the Oilers are great at, possibly the best-
    Value contract deals for UFA’s
    &
    Identifying NHL talent outside the Org.
    Should be a walk in the park
    Stanley Cup please

134. frjohnk says:

leadfarmer: Mcdavid has changed everything

-last year, he bumped up the second contracts for some guys like Eichel and Draisaitl. Pastrnak and Ehlers not so much.

I think Draisaitl has one helluva agent. Is Eichels the McDavid of agents? 🙂

But its still a salary cap world and if Draisaitl is making $1M to $2.6M more than his comparables throughout the duration of those contracts, then the Oilers need to find more cap value/efficiency contracts than those other teams. Like I said in the previous post, Oilers need less paper cuts when in comes to contracts.

135. defmn says:

Bucci Mane
    ‏Verified account @Buccigross
    3m3 minutes ago

James van Riemsdyk will sign a 5 year deal with @NHLFlyers. 7 million dollar cap number

136. YKOil says:

leadfarmer:
    YKOil,
    That is a lot of money for gritensity.Actually you could get a line of gritensity for that money

For sure, but for some, Lucic isn’t just any old gritensity, he is GRITENSITY PRIME!

And, let’s hope, that is worth (someone else) paying for 🙂

137. leadfarmer says:

defmn:
    Bucci Mane
    ‏Verified account @Buccigross
    3m3 minutes ago

This just keeps getting better. 7 mil per!!

138. defmn says:

leadfarmer: This just keeps getting better.7 mil per!!

A good year to be too tight to the cap to do anything too stupid.

139. Chris says:

Woodguy v2.0: Despite being a layman interested in physics I had to google “Max Born”

Love these three quotes from him:

I teach logic. I would simply ask Max, “Is this true?”

140. Robinthe403 says:

LT,

I’ll chime in too about blog accessibility lately…

Sat thru a day long swim meet at Repsol Sports Center in Calgary today, must have checked for new blog post about 114 times using my iPhone 7… Nothing.

Got home and tried my 7 year old 1st Gen iPad and presto, new LT blog post!!! Read it thru quickly only to discover no comments at the end… Weird I thought, logged in and voila, 134 comments.

Something is off.

-robinthe403

141. kdc says:

Also still with problems on iPad. Today’s post wasn’t available til evening. So sad not to get my morning low tide fix!

142. slopitch says:

Crickets from the oilers media guys except Matheson who just seems to be tossing out random ideas like Eklund. So either Chai has finally closed the media leak or the oilers are actually doing nothing. My old neighbour used to do the oilers physical reports pre any signing. When you think of the number of people actually involved in a signing it’s very hard to keep a lid on things. If the oilers do nothing except say Brodziak, I’m fine with that.

Also… sounds like JT to Leafs is more and more likely. Of all the Canadian teams to finally win the cup, I’d pick leafs last. If the get JT, I’m turning of hockey for a while till October lol

143. Sierra says:

Robinthe403:
    LT,

I’ll chime in too about blog accessibility lately…

Got home and tried my 7 year old 1st Gen iPad and presto, new LT blog post!!!Read it thru quickly only to discover no comments at the end…Weird I thought, logged in and voila, 134 comments.

Something is off.

-robinthe403

I have exact same issue

One thing I have discovered, is that you have to log in. As I understand it, chrome (or whatever) doesn’t like that some things are http and some are HTTPS. I made the change over this week and we’re still trying to get back to normal. Apologies, if you sign in every time I think your problems will go away over time (as has been the case for me).

145. oilpower says:

JT punches the islander organization,in the face!

146. Rafa Nadal says:

Derek Ryan and Austin Czarnik to the Flames. Guess Austin isn’t coming to Edmonton after all.

147. digger50 says:

Woodguy v2.0: My sister worked at the very same Zellers in Meadowlark.

My brother worked there later, but that’s an aside to this story.

The radio was AM only and had 5 large push buttons for your pre-sets.

The things you remember.

True Story.

Also,

10 bucks is 10 bucks.

That was some god awful music.

But I was in love with Olivia and her leather pants. Really why else would anybody watch Grease – over and over.

148. LadiesloveSmid says:

For the right price: Maroon, Vanek, Rieder, Roussel

Otherwise, I would assume cheap and worth a look: Comeau, Kunitz?, Duclair, is Versteeg’s body done? Franson

Maybe in the Czarnik vein: Peca, Brickley, McKenzie

149. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Versteeg shunned us in favour of the Lames. Just no. Hard pass.

Like really, fuck that guy.

150. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Also happy Canada Day to everyone.

So thankful we have such a civil venue for frank and thoughtful discourse.

LT wins by default.

151. LadiesloveSmid says:

Curtis McKenzie only played 7 games in Dallas this year, played 53 last year. 1.89 5v5 P/60 over those 60. Positive effect on xGF%.

If Czarnik was a hard target, him and McKenzie are separated by a year.

152. Dominoiler says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but pretty sure I’m not..

Koskinen made 2.5M last year in the KHL, so why the hell would he come to the NHL for less?!.. for less than a mill.. so listing off every other NA goalie that will end up playing for less is both annoying and irrelevant.. wanna discarded goalie, stick w Montoya or trade him in for another equivalent.. but then how do you feel when Talbot takes a game off?..

Now if Koskinen can’t top 1M replacement level quality then chia is in big trouble, but until then i just wish people would quit whining about the contract.. he made 2.5M last season, had a good season, so market value (isn’t just dictated by a conventional understanding of the nhl goalie market) is at least 2.5M, get over it..

153. RonnieB says:

Dominoiler:
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but pretty sure I’m not..

Now if Koskinen can’t top 1M replacement level quality then chia is in big trouble, but until then i just wish people would just stfu about the contract.. he made 2.5M last season, had a good season, so market value (isn’t just dictated by a conventional understanding of the nhl goalie market) is at least 2.5M, get over it..

Anyways, it’s risky, and chia really didn’t have much cap space to be dolling out risky bets, but he did and we’ll see.. so just quit whining about it already, jeez..

(to whomever this applies to, not directed at anyone specifically; there are enough people complaining about the Koskinen deal for this comment to be applied generally)

As you requested…your information is incorrect. Koskinnen made $1.3 in the KHL, not $2.5. This has been reported in several places and by several sources. This is the reason for the anguish over his Cap hit.

154. maudite says:

Blue Mountain

stephen sheps:

For your listening pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfmqTQgZlM

Ok, now I’ll read the thread.

This has been your daily edition of music with Sheps

155. trencan says:

Professor Q: I can’t wait for Danmark – Croatia. I’ll be working, but hope we keep the undefeated streak going.

Hmm, both teams are undefeated, so definetely one of them will keep the streak.

156. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

At this the most ridiculous time of year, free agent wise, might I make a suggestion? If you post a pertinent free agent transaction, please list the source. Saying “player X to Calgary, now our season is fucked” without a reference could be a real signing or a doomsday scenario….

It’s hard to distinguish fact from hyperbole sometimes, at least for me. Thanks.

157. JimmyV1965 says:

oilpower:
    JT punches the islander organization,in the face!

J.T. owes them nothing. It’s certsinky not a punch in the face. And he’s actually done them a favour. $11 mill for eight years would have been an awful contract.

158. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like the flames are about to sign Czarnik to a 2-year deal and Ryan to a 3 year deal.

Oil Country is going to be insufferable when the flames sign a couple of players linked to Edmonton – similar to how it was when they got Dobson, ummm, I mean Hamonic.

Czarnik will sting a bit as he should be a cheap, low-risk bet, however, with 20 plus teams interested, he’ll likely come in over $1M.

Ryan on a 3-year deal, I’m fine with Calgary signing that – he’ll be 32 a few months in to the season and has really only been an NHL player for a couple of years – I think he’ll be over paid but we’ll see.

159. OriginalPouzar says:

As per Friedman: Hearing Ryan deal is approx 3×3.125 and Czarnik 2×1.25 in CAL.

Yikes: That is a big number for term for Ryan.

160. npanciroli says:

OriginalPouzar,

Well that Ryan contract is nutty based on rumours.

After seeing Reaves and Roussel now 4×3.25 I think Lucic goes.

161. npanciroli says:

OriginalPouzar,

Beat me to it haha.

162. OriginalPouzar says:

I’ve been saying on this blog for 2 months now that Ryan was going to get around $3M – wasn’t reasonable that people thought he would sign for $1.5M

163. npanciroli says:

OriginalPouzar,

Makes sense based on his last year. Hard to see him replicating it though was going to be a risky contract in the end.

164. OriginalPouzar says:

Dominoiler:
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but pretty sure I’m not..

No, I don’t believe he made $2.5M in the KHL last year – there were some incorrect reports out there a few months ago.

Either way, it doesn’t matter, in fact it doesn’t matter if he made $6M in the KHL last year – If he wasn’t willing to sign for an AAV that made sense for the Oilers, Chia should have exercised the option he had – WALK AWAY.

I hope Koskinen turns in to the next Kipper, however, at this stage, he is a 30 year old KHL star with no track record of success in the NHL and has done nothing to warrant a contract near a cap hit of $2.5M – in particular one given by a team that doesn’t have an extra $250K to spend, let along an extra $1M – $1.5M.

You bring up Montoya, well, at this stage, Koskinen has not proven to be even as reliable as Montoya – its a decent bet he will be but just a bet. History is littered with KHL stars whose ability doesn’t translate to the NHL.

Lets not forget, Ben Scrivens is an upper echelon KHL goalie.

165. OriginalPouzar says:

npanciroli:
    OriginalPouzar,

Yup, he’ll be 32 before the turn of the calendar and his NHL success has only been recent.

Of course, Oilers fans will are going to catastrophize this as another player that Calgary took from us and proffess them to be so much more improved – it will be Dobson, I mean Hamonic all over again.

I’m glad Chia didn’t pay the price for Hamonic. I’m glad Chai didn’t pay the price for Ryan.

I’ll take Brodziak, with a greater track record in the NHL and 5 less points than Ryan this past year, for half the price.

166. texmex says:

Kyle Brodziak will sign with the #Oilers.

Per Andy Strickland

167. npanciroli says:

texmex,

Hope it’s not too pricey. I like the player tho.

168. OriginalPouzar says:

texmex:
    Kyle Brodziak will sign with the #Oilers.

Per Andy Strickland

Good, he had 5 less points than Ryan this past year and is more established in the NHL.

I’ll definitely take him at half the price of Ryan.

169. OriginalPouzar says:

Here is hoping there is no more news until I get home from the gym.

Hate that it doesn’t open until 7 on long weekends – I’m usually home from the gym before 5am.

Go Oilers!

170. Woodguy v2.0 says:

@CraigCustance

Sounds like Red Wings and Vanek got a deal done. One year, $3 million.

Damn.

171. texmex says:

WOW!! The money being thrown around is insane. I’m glad we have no space!!!

172. npanciroli says:

Comeau, Rieder and Colborne are the names to watch for us I think beyond Lucic trade.

173. npanciroli says:

Jack Johnson signing is hilarious.

174. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Holy crap. I hate that contract. I’d rather have Roussel at $3,25. Gotta admit it makes the Koskinen deal look like a gem.

175. Andy Dufresne says:

NOW that Czarnik is reportedly a LAME…….

This in from hockey writer Joe Haggerty of NBC Boston: “Czarnik has some talent, but I think he’s a AAAA player. Not enough speed or strength to be consistent NHL player.”

Asked what an “AAAA” player is, he said: “It’s usually a baseball term. It means a player that’s stuck somewhere between a top minor leaguer and one that’s a big league player. A tweener… He’s had bigger opportunities than 4th line duty. The kid played 49 games of mostly third line duty two years ago. He didn’t do enough with it. Like Seth Griffith and like Alex Khokhlachev before him, I think he’s a AAAA player… He’s not fast. He’s quick, but he can’t consistently play fast at the NHL level. His skating legs go away after a game or two. I’ve seen it happen every time he gets called up to the NHL. He needs to play full speed to be effective and he can’t consistently do it.”

176. Andy Dufresne says:

As per LTs Summer To Do List

A scoring winger capable of sliding up and down the depth chart as required (Rattie insurance and a finisher for Leon’s line).
    A two-way forward who can provide veteran presence on the third or fourth line. Brodziak DONE
    A second-pairing defender (patience may require this solution arrives later, and it might be Matt Benning until Evan Bouchard is ready).
    A backup goalie. Koskinen DONE

So now Reider or Comeau and we’re done!

177. frjohnk says:

Andy Dufresne:
    NOW that Czarnik is reportedly a LAME…….

The Ryan signing though…….

178. Jaxon says:

I hope Maroon goes back to St Louis.

179. Crazy Pedestrian says:

After seeing the contracts being handed out, I wouldn’t be surprised if Brodziak contract came in at $2.5M x 2 years…

180. Andy Dufresne says:

frjohnk: Czarnik was a good signing by the Flames, if he does not work out, they can put him in the minors and the cap hit is mostly washed away.

The Ryan signing though…….

No offense…..Ill take the word of a guy who’s watched/followed him every week for the last three years…..Czarnik is 25 and half years old and has scored a total of 17pts in the NHL. Hes OLDER than both Ryan Strome and Drake Cagullia.
    And Im not using no offense as a throw away term…I really mean no offense.

And I get your point about a long shot bet mitigated by AHL value

181. frjohnk says:

Andy Dufresne: Craig Cagullia

Drakes son?

182. Andy Dufresne says:

He gets a bad rap.

183. Andy Dufresne says:

frjohnk: Drakes son?

He gets a bad rap.

184. Melvis says:

For a while last night, I felt like a farmyard hunt and peck chicken following the aural grains around to a crossroads marked dissonance and sublimity. Thanks for all the great musical suggestions dudes.

First album purchase. Late autumn, ’63. Churchill Shopping Centre in Toontown. Beatlemania in the front window of a drugstore now occupied by a Macs. It was $4.98. That’s 40 bucks in todays shekels and I had to cough up two bucks of hard earned savings before dads covered the remainder. Music wasn’t cheap for ten year old back then. Nor the parents.

185. Andy Dufresne says:

My first vinyl purchase…..Zellers bargin bin…..45rpm……Wings……

I bought it for the A side…..but immediately got hooked on the B side

A Side: JET

B Side: Let Me Roll It

Was lucky enough to have an older brother (six years older) who turned me on to his record collection….Black Sabath Paranoid, Neil Diamond Hot August Night, Cat Stevens, etc

186. russ99 says:

Now that we have Brodziak, in a few days cheaply sign the other half of the PK fix: Dan Winnik

187. russ99 says:

Andy Dufresne: No offense…..Ill take the word of a guy who’s watched/followed him every week for the last three years…..Czarnik is 25 and half years old and has scored a total of 17pts in the NHL.Hes OLDER than both Ryan Strome and Drake Cagullia.
    And Im not using no offense as a throw away term…I really mean no offense.

And I get your point about a long shot bet mitigated by AHL value

Any sane GM wouldn’t expect any more from those players than we got last year.

188. Andy Dufresne says:

russ99:

All good. Difference of opinion is a good thing.

I take Strome over Ryan for sure. (they’ll probably be the same price) Strome actually cheaper just based on Qualifying Offer.

I take Caggs over Czarnik for sure. And Im not a big Caggulia fan. Price differnce $250k

Caggulia is younger and a proven NHLer. Czarnik is older and a proven AHLer.

I absolutely expect more from Strome this year. Last year was his first year with the Oilers and they experimented with where to play him in the lineup. This year he’s used to the new systems and his new surroundings and teammates.

189. JimmyV1965 says:

russ99: I’d rather have Ryan and Czarnik than Strome and Caggiula, and they’re likely coming in at less salary.

Any sane GM wouldn’t expect any more from those players than we got last year.

All I can say is thank God you’re not the GM. Strome might be disappointing but he’s a star compared to Ryan.

190. Andy Dufresne says: