Memory Alpha

Steve Tambellini was the most conservative Oilers general manager of my lifetime, your lifetime and that of our children. That’s not a bad thing on its own, but middle managers (Mr. Tambellini was one) have a tendency to be on the wrong side of “no guts, no glory” before the start line. Peter Chiarelli might be the most aggressive general manager in Oilers history (Slats was kind of a maniac at times) and that has its own rewards and punishments. One of the risky moves made by PC this offseason was the signing of Mikko Koskinen. He is signed, sealed and delivered but the story he’ll write is a blank chapter in the 2018-19 season. What do we know about him?

THE ATHLETIC!

Give The Athletic as a gift or get it yourself and join the fun! Offer is here, less than $5 a month! I find myself reading both the hockey (Willis, Dellow, Pronman, et cetera) and the baseball coverage a lot, it’s a pure pleasure to visit. We’ll sell you the whole seat, but you’ll only need the edge.

• New Lowetide: Handicapping the race to win jobs on McDavid/Draisaitl wings
  • Lowetide: Three prospects on the upswing after orientation camp, free agency
  • Lowetide: Oilers grab Tobias Rieder in free agency
  • Jonathan Willis: Oilers hopes rest on players already on the roster
  • Lowetide: Frugal Oilers grab Kyle Brodziak in free agency
  • Lowetide: Hard Target Search: Tobias Rieder.
  • Lowetide: Oilers still preferred CHL and older prospects in 2018 draft.
  • Jonathan Willis: How will Oilers manage rich collection of goalie prospects?
  • Lowetide: Is Evan Bouchard NHL-ready?
  • Lowetide: Low budget free agents can deliver Oilers big bang
  • Lowetide: The maturation of Daryl Katz, or heading down a dangerous road?
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 10 prospects in front of the 2018 draft.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: Oilers scouting directors: A history.

MIKKO KOSKINEN

Mikko Koskinen is a big goaltender (6.06, 205) who posted some major numbers in the KHL last season (29 games, .937 save percentage). He also had a strong playoff and has been one of the best goalies in Europe over the past four seasons. His size is the big thing, he blocks out the sun. Among the most unusual bets for Edmonton this coming season will be Koskinen. It’s a one-year deal, $2.5 million and if it works out he might be the No. 1 goalie this time next year.

A year ago, Edmonton moved Laurent Brossoit up from the farm and that seemed a reasonable bet to me. My argument was he had done his time in the system, earned the opportunity. You have to give a man his chance. He didn’t pass the test. Al Montoya is still here and with the number of goalies still on the market he could in fact get sent down during training camp and clear. For me, I’m comfortable with the Oilers goaltending because Cam Talbot. He posted a .920 save percentage from March 1 through season’s end. He’s a good goaltender.

LANCE BOUMA

When it comes to Edmonton signing another forward, the names mentioned include the attractive (Anthony Duclair, Nick Shore), the aged (Jason Chimera, Scottie Upshall), the curious (Tyler Ennis) and Lance Bouma. Bouma kills penalties (Shore does it better) and doesn’t bring a lot offensively (5-on-5 per 60 numbers):

1. Scottie Upshall 1.93
  2. Kyle Brodziak 1.89 (signed)
  3. Anthony Duclair 1.63
  4. Tyler Ennis 1.31
  5. Tobias Rieder 1.27
  6. Nick Shore 1.19
  7. Jason Chimera 1.09
  8. Lance Bouma 0.85

Duclair is my top option, because he is young, has scored 20 goals in an NHL season and can grow with the group. I’d be fine with Shore too. Upshall had a cool season, maybe there’s some gas left in the tank and Ennis is a why not option. Bouma and Chimera are the rank outsiders.

PATRIK SIIKANEN

• Marco Bombino, McKeens: A big forward who can play both center and wing, has a good shot with a quick release. Skating is not his best attribute right now, but there’s potential here Source
  • Bob Green, Edmonton Oilers: Hard working kid, our guys in Europe really liked him. Bigger guy, hard working, has some skill. Have some time with him, playing men’s league next year, will have some time to develop.

MAKING BETS

The Oilers went into last season with Andrej Sekera on the shelf and soon encountered all manner of injuries. Peter Chiarelli signed Kris Russell to a contract in an effort to keep the band together, but needed both Darnell Nurse and Matt Benning to step up.

This is the Puck IQ 2017-18 run, what a beautiful glimpse into what’s going on. Nurse played a lot against the elites (tied with Larsson for No. 1, at 35 percent) and struggled in possession. In his three NHL seasons, Nurse has moved to the upper pairing twice (as a rookie with Andrej Sekera, last season with Adam Larsson). His Corsi for 5-on-5 with Larsson (50.92 percent in 820 minutes) is slightly worse than Oscar Klefbom (53.35 percent in 214 minutes) with Larsson, but Nurse could play with Larsson this coming season. I prefer the Swedes together.

The big improvement year over year will be Andrej Sekera. In his final six games of the season, his Corsi for 5-on-5 was 55.63 (all numbers via Natural Stat Trick).

• Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
  • Darnell Nurse—Matt Benning
  • Andrej Sekera—Kris Russell/Evan Bouchard

MCDAVID’S CONTRACT

It was one year ago today the Edmonton Oilers signed Connor McDavid to his eight year extension. At least once a month since he was drafted, someone will email or dm me with “the Oilers better start winning or Connor McDavid will ask for a trade” and I message back saying something like “hockey players aren’t wired that way.”

There are two things I believe that might contribute to 97 wishing to leave. First, is criticism of the contract by the public. Make no mistake, he is worth the max ($15 million at the time of the signing) but people are people and in Edmonton (a series of towns/villages/small cities strung together) those dollars are a lightning rod for criticism. I think it’s easier to be Connor McDavid in a bigger city, but his signing with the Oilers for what will be 11 seasons, and his clear focus on the team’s success, override all but rampant criticism of the contract. I believe that to be true. So, when you see a video of the player leaving a restaurant with his parents and getting heckled, that’s your danger right there.

The other item is constant rebuilding. The Oilers aren’t addicted to winning, they are obsessed with the ‘five-year plan’ and getting it right. They remind me of the Star Trek Voyageur episode  about a man obsessed with restoring his world to a perfect point from the past, manipulating the restore point over and over again. That’s the Oilers, and if this constant resets continue, one of these rebuilds, as was the case with Rick Nash in Columbus, the organization will run the risk of its best players asking out.

That’s it. If you’re worried about McDavid’s loyalty to the team, don’t spend a second on it. Remember, Taylor Hall didn’t ask out. Neither did Gretzky. Hockey players are a damned loyal bunch and they are absolutely devoted to team.

FREE AGENCY

Patrick Maroon is number one on the TSN free agent list today, I don’t think it will be long before he gets signed. I would sign Duclair. He might grow with the group. Edmonton needs value contracts, Duclair could be one of them.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun morning, as we tee up the weekend and talk about the remnants of free agency. At 10 this morning, TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Derek Taylor, TSN #Details on the CFL. We’ll talk week four and some of the surprises, including the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
  • Rob Vollman, ESPN and NHL.com. Erik Karlsson trade imminent? Should the Oilers sign Anthony Duclair?
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Our final visit of this season, we’ll chat about the Oilers, Karlsson and the business still to be done this summer.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

165 Responses to "Memory Alpha"

1. ArmchairGM says:

From the last thread:

frjohnk:
    Daily Faceoff
    ‏ @DailyFaceoff
    3m3 minutes ago

The Blue Jackets have signed Boone Jenner to a four-year, $15M ($3.75M AAV) extension.

161 points in 342 games

Strome has 160 points in 340 games.Same age, both play center, so the Strome camp will be looking at those numbers as comparables

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Thoughts of Strome coming in under $3M are essentially gone.

I will stick with 2 X $3.25 (subject to him being an RFA after a two year contract and I haven’t researched that – if he’s a UFA at the end of a two year contract then the organization will need one year or term).

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Hmmmm, I can’t remember, have I posted my thoughts on the Koskinen contract?

4. Halfwise says:

Al Davis said it best.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Has Lance Bouma been mentioned by anyone other than Stauffer?

6. flyfish1168 says:

RS needs to take a discount or see you later.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Lets not forget, part of Nurse’s time on the top pairing are with Kris Russell as 1RD when Larsson was unavailable to play. Imagine the yeomen’s work by Darnell to not get caved!

8. Rondo says:

Don’t know why Jannik Hansen is not on the list.

Duclair looks like an obvious pick for most teams but there is something wrong with him.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

I have zero concerns about McDavid”wanting out” or anything related thereto.

I have zero concerns over “wasting McDavid’s ELC” or an immediate timeline to contend.

Building a contender often takes time. The path our current management has taken us on seems far from ideal and has almost unarguably increased that path, however, we are where we are and it will take a couple of years of re-tooling and patience (i.e. smart moves to dispose of anchor contracts, smart minor moves, etc.) and we will be there.

McDavid is here for at least 8 more seasons, Drai for 7.

Those are long time frames.

Build smartly from here.

OriginalPouzar:
    Has Lance Bouma been mentioned by anyone other than Stauffer?

11. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Thoughts of Strome coming in under $3M are essentially gone.

I got railed for expressing disbelief in Cane’s model on this forum just a few short weeks ago, and here we are.

FWIW, Cane had De Haan at 1 x $1.675M. Not. Even. Close.

12. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide
    If Anthony Duclair is so talented, still young, without skating issues, why is he unsigned? Something must be wrong that we don’t see.

13. Jethro Tull says:

Star Trek Voyageur

I would pay money to see a bunch of our beloved Francophone cousins voyaging the galaxy.

“Dere’s a kleen-gon shib ovor dere, eh, tabernac!”

I live not far from Falher, they know how to party!

Wasn’t it Red from That 70’s Show in that episode? Be the last guy I’d give infinite mulligans to.

14. Psyche says:

LT,

Thank you for the Star Trek Voyager reference. Awesome.

Sign Duclair and call it a summer (unless a Lucic or Russell trade reveals itself).

15. ArmchairGM says:

Christian Folin signs with PHI, 1 x $650K.

WHY DIDN’T CHIA DO THIS?

16. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar,

*looks at a calendar*

I guess not eh?

17. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lots of smoke around Karlsson getting traded to TBY today.

Yz has the assets to pull it off……

18. Jethro Tull says:

ArmchairGM:
    Christian Folin signs with PHI, 1 x $650K.

WHY DIDN’T CHIA DO THIS?

Because Philly did it.

Everyone, we can’t keep this up. The continual taking to task of the GM for every perceived missed opportunity. There’s 30 other teams trying to build as well. Might as well get mad at not salary dumping Drai when Chia knew Tavares would be hitting the market.

19. 106 and 106 says:

That tsn free agent list is now a dogs breakfast.

Except Davidson, always a champ.

20. rickithebear says:

OriginalPouzar:

When I watched video.
    You know the thing you Look at to see who the fucking problem is.
    A lot of nurse not in screen and Russell often needing to take on 2 opposition player in the HD area.

You are a little off on who is caving who based on structured defensive play.

Were was that Waldo. not we’re he was suppose to be.

21. bendelson says:

Jethro Tull: I live not far from Falher, they know how to party!

Down the Spirit River highway…

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Good catch.

They played together more than I thought last year.

4 & 25
    426min
    48.2% CF
    47.4% GF
    49.9% SCF (scoring chances)

25 & 6
    820min
    50.9% CF
    56.9% GF
    51.3% SCF

They played 2nd pair for a lot of that though, not just while Larsson was out.

Top 4 was:
    Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse – Russell

For a big chunk of the first part of the year.

Nurse only played 80 minutes with Gryba

23. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– it will be interesting to follow the leafs vs oil for the next many years

– I’m not sure if I’d rather drai and mcd or Tavares and matthews

– probably us because mcd but Tavares is fully formed

– I think many here wish the oil last year “went for it” as the leafs did this year before the elcs expired

– next year will be interesting to see what the leafs do and I think Tavares is a hedge if Matthews doesn’t sign long term.

– I also think that the oil and leafs are fairly simillar in terms of expectations. Their goalie was a lot better than ours last year. And they have a deeper forward group but their d got exposed. I take our healthy d over theres.

24. Brantford Boy says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    OriginalPouzar,

*looks at a calendar*

I guess not eh?

Ouch OP… you’ve been burned by Woodguys phone… mind you it has been to the sun and back…

25. LadiesloveSmid says:

I thank Gord every day that McDavid is signed on for another 8 years.

26. ArmchairGM says:

Jethro Tull: Because Philly did it.

Everyone, we can’t keep this up.The continual taking to task of the GM for every perceived missed opportunity.There’s 30 other teams trying to build as well.Might as well get mad at not salary dumping Drai when Chia knew Tavares would be hitting the market.

27. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Any chance the Oilers return to Blue home uniforms next year? Rumblings like a month ago but would have expected it to be at the draft if it was a thing. Generally you don’t want to look like pylons when you have a chance you might play like pylons. I also question if penalty killing in high visibility is the best idea. I’m a truther on that one. #bringbacktheblue

5 hopes for 2018-19:

-Oilers #bringbacktheblue
    -Islanders put the Leafs out of the playoffs.
    -Karlsson scores while Hoffman is on the ice each time they play.
    -Yamamoto starts in the AHL but forces a call up early where he sticks on merit and scores 20
    -Craig McTavish rips out Harvey the Hound’s tongue. I hope for this every year but the wish went fulfilled only once.

28. jonrmcleod says:

Jethro Tull: Because Philly did it.

His name is ArmchairGM. He comments as named.

29. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Any chance the Oilers return to blue home uniforms next year? Rumblings like a month ago but would have expected it to be at the draft if it was a thing. Generally you don’t want to look like pylons when you have a chance you might play like pylons. I also question if penalty killing in high visibility clothing is the best idea. I’m a truther on that one. #bringbacktheblue

5 hopes for 2018-19:

-Oilers #bringbacktheblue
    -Islanders put the Leafs out of the playoffs.
    -Karlsson scores while Hoffman is on the ice each time they play.

30. rickithebear says:

All I care about is giving our team a chance at the best ratios that win.
    Low GA. See 16-17.
    We know a Larsson zooms dmen.
    Russel gets you Topto elite numbers with top HD dmen.

We know our repeatable HD dmen
    Larsson with Russell (1.80) Klefbom (16-17 2.30) Nurse (17-18 1.86)
    Benning with Klefbom (16-17 2.17) Russell (17-18 1.74), & Nurse (17-18 1.86)
    Russel with Sekera (16-17 1.48), Benning (27-18 1.74), & Nurse (17-18 1.86)

I have no problem if Sekera is healthy.
    Nurse – Larsson 1.86
    Sekera – Russell 1.48
    Klefbom – Benning 2.17

But Klefbom has never been HD reliant.
    As I showed with Dmen under Yawney coaching he was a HD whisperer.
    Look forward to his influence on Nurse.

31. stephen sheps says:

Jethro Tull: Wasn’t it Red from That 70’s Show in that episode? Be the last guy I’d give infinite mulligans to

Yep, that was indeed Kurtwood “Red Forman” Smith in that two parter – IMO one of very few episodes of Voyager that was worth watching. I’m a die-hard Trek fan, but ST:VOY was my least favourite series and it wasn’t even close. That episode (Year of Hell), along with Equinox, Timeless and Scorpion demonstrated what that show could have been. Instead we mostly got retreads, tired genre cliches and a watered down version of TNG with a far less compelling cast, right down to the Tom Doc and Harry stories, a poor play on the old Tom, Dick and Harry trope.

Fun fact though – Annorax was not Kurtwood Smith’s first appearance in Trek. He also played the Federation President in Star Trek VI

32. flyfish1168 says:

ArmchairGM: Folin is twice the player Gravel is. If 7D is such an important position, at least put in someone with a track record. That’s my point. Better players were available, he chose to “build” with lessor. That’s fair game for criticism, IMO.

I agree with you. But we don’t know for sure if PC tried or not. Sure he is from Sweden but maybe he or someone persuaded him to stay in the States. 🙁

33. stephen sheps says:

rickithebear: Look forward to his influence on Nurse.

As do I. High hopes for what Yawney can do with this young D.

And given his track record of development, Bouchard should benefit long term too.

34. slopitch says:

TBL would have cap issues. Opportunity to get a Tyler Johnson type? Not for us but someone might take advantage. Cant see Brayden Point going anywhere. He has a great contract.

35. StixMalone says:

I like the Koskinen signing. I might be in the minority though. I like the odds on this gamble…

36. LadiesloveSmid says:

37. rickithebear says:

I looked at HD and EvGa affect.
    Grevel is killed at 1st comp but is a top 10 HD Dman in 2nd/3rd comp minutes.
    We know Klefbom does not cover 1st comp healthy or not.
    We know Sekera healthy has history on 3 teams of top 15 HD performance against 2nd comp.
    Russell can slot with Larsson, Sekera, Benning and get top HD numbers.
    We have 4 dmen that have shown they can get top HD numbers on the right side.
    Larsson, Russel, Grevel, Benning.

38. dustrock says:

Chelios is a Dinosaur:

5 hopes for 2018-19:

-Oilers #bringbacktheblue
    -Islanders put the Leafs out of the playoffs.
    -Karlsson scores while Hoffman is on the ice each time they play.

39. --hudson-- says:

dustrock: Honestly, the easiest explanation for the home/road PK discrepancy, when the Oilers were having the worst home PK in NHL history, is the Hunter Orange (ha ha) jersey.

Didn’t they wear orange at home in 16-17? I know the PK that year was also not great but not sure if it had such a discrepancy between home and away.

That could be an interesting study – see what jersey colours have the best pk stats. I would guess all the red, orange and yellow jersey teams have similar performance if it’s a thing

40. gogliano says:

It won’t be more than a couple years before McDavid isn’t the highest paid player in the league. He’s already value but that contract will be golden during its back half.

41. knighttown says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Lots of smoke around Karlsson getting traded to TBY today.

Yz has the assets to pull it off……

I can’t imagine how GMGM doesn’t make this happen. No one has the assets he does.

1. He can afford Ryan and may actually want him
    2. He has the three 19 year old first rounders from last year; Glass, Suzuki and Brannstrom.
    3. Has has Theodore or Schmidt as a young emerging defense stud
    4. He has his first rounders

Seems so easy;

Theodore + Brannstrom + 1st + 1st in 2020 if Karlsson signs for

Karlsson and Ryan

Tampa can’t take Ryan which is a huge problem so the price needs to be more.

They could offer up Cal Foote I guess but I don’t know if he is even at the same level as the three Vegas prospects and certainly doesn’t make up for the difference in not taking Ryan.

I guess it would have to be:

Sergachev + Foote + 1st for

Karlsson

but that doesn’t seem as lucrative as the Vegas offer especially without Ryan in there and with the gTee that Tampa will be picking bottom 5. They must really like Sergachev.

42. Oilman99 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Has Lance Bouma been mentioned by anyone other than Stauffer?

Lets hope not.

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – it will be interesting to follow the leafs vs oil for the next many years

– I’m not sure if I’d rather drai and mcd or Tavares and matthews

– probably us because mcd but Tavares is fully formed

You asked the wrong question about the difference between Edmonton and Toronto.

McDavid, Draisaitl, and MCLELLAN

Or

Matthews, Tavares, and BABCOCK

Identify the weak link.

Also, Nugent-Hopkins vs Marner

–hudson–: Didn’t they wear orange at home in 16-17?I know the PK that year was also not great but not sure if it had such a discrepancy between home and away.

That could be an interesting study – see what jersey colours have the best pk stats.I would guess all the red, orange and yellow jersey teams have similar performance if it’s a thing

They went from Blue and a flat orange in the first year to navy and fluorescent orange last year.

45. frjohnk says:

godot10: You asked the wrong question about the difference between Edmonton and Toronto.

McDavid, Draisaitl, and MCLELLAN

Or

Matthews, Tavares, and BABCOCK

Identify the weak link.

Also, Nugent-Hopkins vs Marner

Dubas vs Chiarelli

46. Oilman99 says:

ArmchairGM: For some reason Matt Cane’s model (which people seem to take as gospel) has Jenner at 4 x $4.5M and Strome at 2 x $2.6M. Anthony Duclair is at 2 x $1.2M – I’d do that if it’s in any way accurate.

FWIW, Cane had De Haan at 1 x $1.675M. Not. Even. Close.

Anything over $3.0m, let him walk.

Jenner has two unrestricted years in that 4 year deal. Strome has 3 restricted years left.

With Jenner’s contract done, I wouldn’t negotiate with Strome. If Strome does not opt for arbitration, the Oilers should opt to take Strome to arbitration.

Make him prove it.

48. Oilman99 says:

rickithebear:
    All I care about is giving our team a chance at the best ratios that win.
    Low GA. See 16-17.
    We know a Larsson zooms dmen.
    Russel gets youTopto elite numbers with top HD dmen.

We know our repeatable HD dmen
    Larsson with Russell (1.80)Klefbom (16-17 2.30) Nurse (17-18 1.86)
    Benning with Klefbom (16-17 2.17) Russell (17-18 1.74), & Nurse (17-18 1.86)
    Russel with Sekera (16-17 1.48), Benning (27-18 1.74), & Nurse (17-18 1.86)

I have no problem if Sekera is healthy.
    Nurse – Larsson 1.86
    Sekera – Russell 1.48
    Klefbom – Benning 2.17

But Klefbom has never been HD reliant.
    As I showed with Dmen under Yawney coaching he was a HD whisperer.
    Look forward to his influence on Nurse.

49. dmjkrash says:

Rondo,

Is Yanick a UFA? He is another guy with speed and a shot to boot! I would have time for him on a value contract for sure.

50. judgedrude says:

Lowetide: I’d be fine with Shore

Well of course LT would like a guy who played for both the Edmonton Eskimos and the Boston Bruins.

51. ArmchairGM says:

flyfish1168: I agree with you. But we don’t know for sure if PC tried or not. Sure he is from Sweden but maybe he or someone persuaded him to stay in the States.

We don’t, but we do know that Chai signed Gravel a week prior to Folin signing, I can’t imagine he tried or tried very hard. And why would a Swede (or anyone else non-American) want to “stay in the States”? What advantage is it to live in Philadelphia?

52. ArmchairGM says:

LadiesloveSmid: I don’t think 7D is especially important and Folin may well not want to play in Edmonton

53. ArmchairGM says:

rickithebear: I looked at HD and EvGa affect.
    Grevelis killed at 1st comp but is a top 10 HD Dman in 2nd/3rd comp minutes.
    We know Klefbom does not cover 1st comp healthy or not.
    Russell can slot with Larsson, Sekera, Benning and get top HD numbers.
    We have 4 dmen that have shown they can get top HD numbers on the right side.
    Larsson, Russel, Grevel, Benning.

Small sample size. Gravel has very little track.

54. npanciroli says:

ArmchairGM,

I don’t think players really want to play here all that often. See it constantly by the amount of players that have us on their do not trade list.

Chia could have easily called Folin’s agent and the agent said “nope” or maybe he didn’t bother but I don’t think that many players want to play here.

55. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

npanciroli,

Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Andre Sekera, Milan Lucic, Cam Talbot, Oscar Klefbom, Kris Russell, Kailer Yamamoto, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle all say hi. The Red Wine Club and all of their Cups and trophies also played for the Oilers.

Maybe instead of being hurt by some no name seventh Dman and all of his 36 career points in tow its worth looking at some/all of the actual full-time NHLers and a few of the greatest to ever play the game type players who called Edmonton and the Oilers home for giant chunks of their careers.

At least that’s how I choose to look at it. Helps keep the woe be me feelings in check.

56. JimmyV1965 says:

Oilman99: Anything over $3.0m, let him walk.

So you would suggest just letting him go? For nothing.

57. npanciroli says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Not sure if this is towards me. I am by no means upset about it, but the reality is nowadays players would rather play in nicer climates away from a crazed fanbase with better taxes.

Karlsson having us on do not trade is the most recent example.

58. Richard S.S. says:

ArmchairGM,

1) Bouchard will get nine games of that I’m sure. As a result, the 7th Defenseman is in the AHL.
    2) If he stays, the 7th D is actually the 8th or 9th D.
    3) If he doesn’t stay, but comes back after 20-25 games, 7th D is 8th or 9th D again
    4) If he doesn’t stay and doesn’t return or returns late in the season. The 7th D might be important.
    5) If he doesn’t make the Team, a 7th D could be important.
    Some people never think things through before their zeal to bitch and complain overrides common sense. But you are a thoughtful person so this doesn’t apply?

59. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

npanciroli,

I’d need to see the other teams on Karlsson’s no-trade list before I draw any definitive’s.

Anywho, I provided a list of guys who bucked the alleged trend that you’ve sited and most did so with pretty high levels of enthusiasm. I’d prefer to bask in the glow of 7 more years of CmD/Drai who chose to play here rather than get too worked up about Karlsson is all.

60. npanciroli says:
  61. tcho says:

How would Tampa fit in Karlsson in under the cap though? Cap friendly has them at $4.4m in cap space remaining, with 21 of 23 roster spaces filled. Kucherov is getting a massive raise after next season, so would Karlsson presumably, plus a few other looming contracts. Money has to get shipped out too.

62. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

npanciroli,

Glad we agree 🙂

And if anyone is in need of a little chuckle today, I highly recommend checking out any Habs fan twitter feed. A couple good ones here.

63. meanashell11 says:

I too am so tired of hearing how we missed out on this or that guy when they sign somewhere else. WHo cares when we are talking 13th forward or 789th defensemen.

64. Richard S.S. says:

Canadian Team Players are under a microscope, nonstop and relentless. They can’t go anywhere with being recognized.
    American Team Players deal with much less pressure. One block away from the rink and they are basically invisible.

Some Players thrive with the attention, some can accept the attention, some people struggle with the attention, while others will do everything possible to avoid it. Playing in Canada cost the team more, costs the Player more, costs his family more. Some don’t want the attention.

65. PennersPancakes says:

meanashell11: I too am so tired of hearing how we missed out on this or that guy when they sign somewhere else

Agreed. I mean Id want the best possible and might be a bit disappointed if we get the lesser of two players for a certain position but its done and probably wont have a large impact.

Plus it feels like we forget that players often have a choice. Perhaps Chia reached out to Frolins camp and the answer was a hard no. Both parties have to agree, its not simply a matter of oh we should have signed that guy.

66. LadiesloveSmid says:

ArmchairGM: I don’t get all the negativity of Oilers fans towards the city of Edmonton. It seems 23 guys don’t mind being in Detroit, 23 in Buffalo, etc etc, why do we constantly down-sell Edmonton on this blog?

I’m not down-selling Edmonton. Maybe he doesn’t want to play in Canada in general, maybe he wanted to go out East. Not assuming every UFA wants to sign in EDM can’t be construed as shitting on Edmonton.

67. Truth says:

Oilman99: Anything over $3.0m, let him walk.

I’m here to continue beating the drum. Trade Strome with Lucic or Russell for a replacement C/W or D. He’s not going to be worth his contract and I think he has enough cache to move one of those two out. The issue would obviously be a team having the space to take both of them, but that’s my option A for handling Strome and getting some more cap space.

68. Wilde says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – it will be interesting to follow the leafs vs oil for the next many years

– I’m not sure if I’d rather drai and mcd or Tavares and matthews

– probably us because mcd but Tavares is fully formed

McDavid and Draisaitl vs Tavares and Matthews isn’t that close. Oilers win.

Via Dom Luszczyszyn’s model, 97 and 29 together are about 8 WAR, 34 and 91 are a little over 6.

By Emmanuel Perry’s player ratings, 97 is 89.02, Leon 77.52 = 166.54.

Tavares’s 78.60 + Matthews’ 81.61 = 160.21

But that last statement, about their team and the Oilers having similar expectations? Here’s my expectations:

Oilers: 87 pt team (+/-10)

Leafs: 115 pt team(+/-10)

Saying they have better ‘forward depth’ is underselling it. They don’t have more 6’s and 7’s, they have like four 10’s to the Oilers one nine.

The Oilers have the ace of aces, after that it’s a landslide.

I would also take our defense over theirs, but Toronto’s D is massively underrated by the people who think it’s going to sink the best forward group in the league.

A lot of Toronto’s defense problems this year were actually systemic imo, which leads me to this:

McDavid, Draisaitl, and MCLELLAN

Or

Matthews, Tavares, and BABCOCK

Identify the weak link.

Also, Nugent-Hopkins vs Marner

How do you rate Babcock? Because his stretch-pass heavy transition scheme really hurt them this year. They gave the puck away on breakouts like a bottom 10 team, when they have high end puck carriers scattered throughout their lineup.

Babcock also waged war with his manager over Komarov and others for a long long time, injuries had to undeniably demonstrate a counterpoint to his deployment before he conceded.

69. bendelson says:

I don’t think it’s only on this blog or even necessarily about the Oilers…
    I’m general, I think Edmontonians have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to our fair city.
    As a result, we don’t handle criticism well, real or imagined, deserved or not.

70. Wilde says:

Boone Jenner got money because he’s a goalscorer. Ryan Strome isn’t.

That said, reading these comments I think Ryan Strome is underrated around here.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

rickithebear: When I watched video.
    You know the thing you Look at to see who the fucking problem is.

You are a little off on who is caving who based on structured defensive play.

Were was that Waldo. not we’re he was suppose to be.

Wow, so aggressive and condescending – not sure it deserves my response but I will respond against my better judgement.

Now, does that video also show why the “high definition” areas are in need of being defended?

Does it show any lack of gap control and the blueline by one of the defenders?

Does it show a complete inability to move the puck out with possession (i.e always giving the puck back to the opposition to, once again gain our zone)?

72. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Wilde,

They have better forward depth, for the moment and I won’t go much beyond that.

The Leafs d are no world beaters. In their own zone last year they were an absolute tire fire. Anderson saw more rubber than any goalie in teh league last year iirc and was forced to play a stupid amount because much like our own coach Babcock didn’t trust his backup.

The Leafs back-end has Reilly who’s an excellent player, Gardiner and Zaitsev who aren’t at the same level as Larsson/Klef/Nurse a very old Ron Hainsey and a couple of tweeners. Gardiner is the defenseman who seems to take three years to get one years worth of experience and Zaitsev took a big step back last year and found himself in Babcock’s doghouse more than once. Until they fix the backend they’ll be high flyers in the regular season and will get bounced by more well rounded teams in the playoffs.

Also everyone on the Tavares Sports Network is already calling for JT to be named captain. Do that and you’ll see Matthews walk. Kid went to Switzerland to cash in as a 17 year old and was told to bide his time and he’d get the C. I for one don’t think he’s gonna play second fiddle to a guy he is already better than because Babs/Dubas/TSN has a love affair with him. Then again maybe he will, maybe he won’t.

Bigger question is whether all of Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kapanen and Gardiner gonna take discounts to keep it all together?

Very curious to see how this all shakes out. Not convinced this signing, despite the fanfare, was the wisest thing for the Leafs to do.

73. Wilde says:

Duclair’s signed with Columbus, rumour is.

74. Bad Seed says:

We’re not the only ones with inferiority complexes. Go and read some of the comments from Columbus, St Louis, and Islander fans on the Athletic. Makes Edmonton seem like an A-lister.

75. T0ML says:

bendelson: I don’t think it’s only on this blog or even necessarily about the Oilers…
    As a result, we don’t handle criticism well, real or imagined, deserved or not.

I can say living in Orlando, i’d live in Edmonton in a heart beat….then again I spent my summers there and love the Oilers and Esks 😀 (Excited for the Grey cup, got tickets on the 5 yard line I believe)…..

76. LadiesloveSmid says:

Duclair for $650K to CBJ. Wow. Gotta be a behind the scenes problem or something, no?

How does he come in that cheap?

77. Primetime says:

LadiesloveSmid:

How does he come in that cheap?

Definitely off ice issues are at the forefront. Here is a quote from John Chayka after trading him to Chicago. Keep in mind he is an analytics guy, who would probably care a lot about the numbers:

“It’s gone back for a few years now where the team wasn’t particularly happy with the player and the player wasn’t particularly happy with the team and we worked through some things, tried a lot of different approaches in a lot of different ways. I hope he has success in Chicago and does good things.

“There’s a lot of things that go into a trade. Some of them are readily apparent. You see Anthony play and his speed and skill is obvious to everyone. There are some things I think should stay behind closed doors. It was a long process. We went through a lot of different approaches and a lot of different things through two different (coaching) staffs here and at the end of the day just felt that for both sides it was best to move on.”

He then gets moved to a team with arguably the best culture/leadership group in the NHL between Quenneville/Toews/Seabrook. After 1 year, they fail to qualify him.

Doesn’t mean he can’t turn things around, but can understand why the other 30 teams in the league didn’t line up to give him a contract. I’m sure Torts is a strong enough personality that feels he can make a change

78. PennersPancakes says:

LadiesloveSmid:

How does he come in that cheap?

The Leafs have big holes on defense. Babcock didn’t tell Lou to trade away Marner to fix it.

Babcock also plays both good and bad cop with his offensively gifted forwards. Not just bad cop.

80. smellyglove says:

Not true in actual fact. Still the Edmonton’s ” tax”. But, many teams have worse or comparable problems…. A self imposed cap, for financial reasons. If Nashville or Ottawa can build contenders and not spend close to the cap (years back). So can Edm thrive when overpaying free agents.

LT: still having problems with seeing new posts. Have to login to your wp-admin as a poster then land on main page.

81. Wilde says:

LadiesloveSmid:

How does he come in that cheap?

There’s the thing, and then there’s also that this is the Stanley Cup Finalist Las Vegas Golden Knights league.

82. vinotintazo says:

smellyglove: Remember after winning the lottery when the sentiment here was “Edmonton’s free agent signing issues are over. Players will take discounts to play on a CMD team.”

83. Bank Shot says:

smellyglove:

You can argue Rieder took a discount to come here.

Generally players will only take discounts to play on strong contenders. The Oilers were seen as that for one offseason.

I think you need to show a longer track record to truly benefit.

84. npanciroli says:

vinotintazo,

Yeah, agreed.

85. LadiesloveSmid says:

Bank Shot,

Spector on oilers now said Rieder’s agent wasn’t happy with $$ on 2 & 3 year deals being offered so he took a 1 year with some good centres to try to get that contract next summer.

Stauff mentioned that there were like 3 local guys who wanted to come play in Edmonton, I assume they’re Bouma, Upshall, and Chimera.

86. Andy Dufresne says:

McDavid, Draisaitl, and MCLELLAN

Or

Matthews, Tavares, and BABCOCK

Identify the weak link.

Also, Nugent-Hopkins vs Marner

Go read the Leafs fan pages. Babcock favors the vets, Babcock insists players like Marner, Nylander etc earn their playing time. Babcock relies too much on one goalie, Babcock fiddles to much with line combos and yet doesnt do enough in game line matching. Babcock ignores analytics, Babcock stuck in the past. etc etc

87. GMB3 says:

vinotintazo: I would argue Brodziak @ 1.15M and Rieder @ 2M are greatly discounted prices. Just look at the rest of the signings.

I don’t think greatly discounted applies to either of those contracts. I’d say fair prices, even value contracts.

Tobias Reider is a middle 6 winger with some range, and there’s a very strong possibility he gets to start the season playing with Draisaitl or McDavid, with both players being far more skilled than any of his former centres. There is the real possibility for that to become a value contract this season.

88. ArmchairGM says:

LadiesloveSmid:

How does he come in that cheap?

Damn, why didn’t Chia d…. too soon?

89. Andy Dufresne says:

Primetime: Definitely off ice issues are at the forefront.Here is a quote from John Chayka after trading him to Chicago.Keep in mind he is an analytics guy, who would probably care a lot about the numbers:

He then gets moved to a team with arguably the best culture/leadership group in the NHL between Quenneville/Toews/Seabrook.After 1 year, they fail to qualify him.

Doesn’t mean he can’t turn things around, but can understand why the other 30 teams in the league didn’t line up to give him a contract.I’m sure Torts is a strong enough personality that feels he can make a change

Chayka has no clue how to develop talent

Duclair
    Domi
    Strome
    Crouse
    Rieder
    etc

Of the top 9 forwards in the organization, how many were drafted and developed by Arizona….ZERO…NON…..NADDA

Stepan, Derek “A” NTC C

Bolland, Dave M-NTC C

Galchenyuk, Alex

Grabner, Michael M-NTC

Krüger, Marcus RSM-NTC

Pánik, Richard

Richardson, Brad NMC

Cousins, Nick

And in an organization who has been drafting high for six years now.

Is this guy the worst GM in the NHL?!

90. npanciroli says:

Andy Dufresne,

No man analytics and stuff.

91. npanciroli says:

With that said I think Coyotes are going to be much better this year.

92. Melvis says:

As a result, we don’t handle criticism well, real or imagined, deserved or not.

Really? I’ve always liked Emonton a lot. Maybe it has something to do with a favorite uncle and a couple of cousins. Nevertheless, I’ve been in every major and minor town in 49 states and a considerable number elsewhere in the world. And I’m originally from a smaller cousin 400 miles east.

Many sport their own charms, but let’s just say Columbus, e.g.. was never on my hit parade. Nor was walking a beach ankle deep in screaming hot sand.

93. PennersPancakes says:

Andy Dufresne,

Clayton Keller?

94. stephen sheps says:

Andy Dufresne: McLellan and Babcock are the same coach. Same history, same philosophy, same systems, same complaints from fans.

I’m not convinced that’s actually the case. They’re cut from the same cloth, for sure, but push comes to shove I think Babcock is able to execute his systems and get more out of his players and teams than McClellan. Babs has also won championships at every level he’s coached and has shown more of a willingness to adapt his systems based on his players. Sure he rides his vets a little and plays his goalie a lot, but that’s not unique to either coach.

The Marner example is an interesting one. He didn’t start the year in the top 6, but demonstrated he belonged, was promoted and thrived. He’s also made mistakes and didn’t get demoted or stapled to the bench.

Given the leafs management structure and Babcock’s role within the organization, I am also unconvinced that he ignores analytics, given his ability to work with Dubas and develop a long-term partnership of sorts with him. Todd, on the other hand has gone on record stating “the best analytics are your eyes” and when defending Kris Russell, used the phrase “analytics that” after praising Russell’s leadership.

Sure the two coaches have a lot in common, both prairie people and Todd obviously worked as an assistant under Babs, but they are not the same coach any more than Oilers fans are the same type of fans as Leafs fans. Lots of similarities on the surface, sure, but dig a little deeper and there are significant differences.

95. Wilde says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

I wrote a long answer to this, but the page died so it’s gone.

(Lowetide if you’re reading this, it’s my computer+internet and not all related to the recent issues with the website.)

May address it and godot’s post tonight sometime, but I’m too salty to rewrite it right now.

Andy Dufresne: Chayka has no clue how to develop talent

Duclair
    Domi
    Strome
    Crouse
    Rieder
    etc

And in an organization who has been drafting high for six years now.

Is this guy the worst GM in the NHL?!

I know you’re soft-trolling, but John Chayka became GM in summer 2016.

I don’t like his work too much either, but this critique’s weak.

96. Andy Dufresne says:

PennersPancakes:
    Andy Dufresne,

Clayton Keller?

One guy…whoop de do…..just a matter of time before Chayka f#cks up Kellers career to…..hopefully he gets traded to an organization who knows how to develop young players.

97. LadiesloveSmid says:

Andy Dufresne,

I would argue for sure Clayton Keller, Brendan Perlini as well. Flipped Domi for a better player.

98. Wilde says:

**CC: PETER CHIARELLI**

———————————————————————————————————-

CapFriendly

@CapFriendly

Mark Stone is 26 years old, therefore if his contract is settled by an arbitrator, it can only be a 1 year contract, making him a UFA at expiry.
    It also means #Sens could not sign him to an extension until Jan 1st, 2019.

———————————————————————————————————–

99. bendelson says:

Melvis: Really? I’ve always liked Emonton a lot. Maybe it has something to do with a favorite uncle and a couple of cousins.Nevertheless,I’ve been in every major and minor town in 49 states and a considerable number elsewhere in the world. And I’m originally from a smaller cousin 400 miles east.

For the record, I also like Edmonton just fine. The post was meant to simply suggest we Edmontonians tend to be very sensitive when it comes to outside criticism. Perhaps this wasn’t clear in my post.

100. Wilde says:

**CC: PROFESSOR Q AND ANY OTHER LONDONERS HERE**

——————————————————————————————————–

Ryan Pyette

Verified account

@RyanatLFPress

Man, the Knights could have quite a defence if everything works out this fall. Sources say they’re signing Blackhawks first rounder Adam Boqvist today.

——————————————————————————————————-

tcho:

Tampa has 3D coming off the cap next year. Coburn, Girardi, and Stralman. That pretty much pays for Karlsson’s new deal when it would kick in.

If Tampa can do the deal without Sergachev going, it would leave Tampa with Hedman, McDonagh, Karlsson, and Sergachev as their top 4 next year.

No state income tax means Yzerman can pay Karlsson less for the same after tax money.

McDonagh signing means Yzerman might be willing to part with Sergachev in a Karlsson deal.

102. Wilde says:

godot10,

NYR is involved to take on cap.

103. LadiesloveSmid says:

Wilde:
    **CC: PROFESSOR Q AND ANY OTHER LONDONERS HERE**

——————————————————————————————————–

Ryan Pyette

Verified account

@RyanatLFPress

——————————————————————————————————-

Boqvist will be stopping Bouchard’s 35 minute nights! Nooo

104. stephen sheps says:

I’ve been away from Edmonton 11 years as of August. It’ll always be home. It’s a great place to be from. It has a lot of things that are real desireable depending on who you are and what you’re into.

But as our host sometimes says, the trouble is you develop a past. Edmonton has this perception to those outside it that it’s cold, miserable and far. No culitre or arts, terrible dining and nightlife. And it’s ugly.

Well, that last part is true. The city ain’t pretty. The river valley sure is, but the city is not. Too many same looking sprawling subdivisions, almost no neighbourhoods with character or charm in the core.

Those other things? Arts, culture, food, music? The city has loads of it. Great public schools? Hell yes. Seems like the perfect place for a mid-career veteran whose married and has young kids to build a life. Slower pace, simpler. Loads of space. Lowest taxes in Canada. Lots to like about that. But for the newly rich young athlete, I can see how it wouldn’t necessarily present as the ideal destination. I don’t agree with the perception that Edmonton isn’t the most desirable, but I understand where it comes from.

105. Primetime says:

Andy Dufresne,

Easy now…never said I was the president of the Chayka fan club.

A question was asked about whether there was behind the scenes issue with Duclair specifically.

No hearsay or rumour, just a quote from the boss’ mouth. Haven’t heard him say anything like this about anyone else, including young Domi who also got shipped out.

And as far as I know, Chicago has a pretty good track record developing young talent (they just have to sell it all away for cap after winning Cups). So what was their excuse for not signing him to a league minimum contract?

106. OriginalPouzar says:

Adam Boquist is leaving the SHL and heading to the London Knights next year.

I don’t know how but this could definitely have an impact on Bouchard.

I’m not sure if this means its more likely that Bouchard stays in Edmonton or more likely that he returns to the CHL (and another elite prospect on the team).

If he does return, what does this due to his ice? Boquist is another elite right shot offensive d-man prospect that is also upper echelon on the PP.

Maybe London trades his rights.

Also, Brady Tkachuk’s CHL rights are owned by London…..

107. Alpine says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Andy Dufresne,

Jakob Chychrun has been good so far. Also 7 of their top 10 AHL scores were 21 or under to start the season. 6 of those 7 were over 0.50 PPG. One of those 6 was a defenseman. Merkley and Strome were a hair above 1.00 PPG.

Not sure why Fischer is looked at as a failure either. His development path looks totally fine. Dvorak too. They’re better than what the Oilers have going on with their younger middle six forwards. Who can’t develop young talent again?

108. leadfarmer says:

Andy Dufresne,

Umm. Keller is one of the best young forwards in the league and likely a franchise winger.

109. Richard S.S. says:

Sportsnet announced 44 players filing for arbitration – zero Oilers filed.
    Peter Chiarelli is then signing Strome and Nurse or the Oilers are filing for arbitration. This would open another buyout window if necessary.
    Whatever trade he working on is sure dragging on, but I’m sure he’s trying to clear some extra Cap space in the deal.

110. Primetime says:

Richard S.S.:
    Sportsnet announced 44 players filing for arbitration – zero Oilers filed.
    Peter Chiarelli is then signing Strome and Nurse or the Oilers are filing for arbitration.This would open another buyout window if necessary.

He must be close to a deal with Strome, otherwise you would think he would put in for arbitration just in case. Given the other contracts given out, he would have a decent shot at a pretty good raise. This either means that he understands the team needs to keep down costs and he is willing to stay for that, or Chia has already promised him a substantial raise…history would favour one of those options…

Nurse does not have arbitration rights.

111. Dicky94 says:

Primetime,

Torts will have him buried in the rafters by December.

112. pts2pndr says:

rickithebear: When I watched video.
    You know the thing you Look at to see who the fucking problem is.

You are a little off on who is caving who based on structured defensive play.

Were was that Waldo. not we’re he was suppose to be.

Did you take into account one closes on the puck while the other backs in. Not a recipe for success but not realy all on Nurse. Just a different way of defending.

113. rickithebear says:

Oilman99: Nurse is a horse ready for top pairing, confidence is high after worlds,new coach will also help.

Staying and covering HD area in WJC was beautiful.
    It is there.

114. leadfarmer says:

TVR signs cheap short term extension with Canes.
    Who wins the Faulk sweepstakes?
    Hopefully Calgary.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

Primetime: He must be close to a deal with Strome, otherwise you would think he would put in for arbitration just in case.Given the other contracts given out, he would have a decent shot at a pretty good raise.This either means that he understands the team needs to keep down costs and he is willing to stay for that, or Chia has already promised him a substantial raise…history would favour one of those options…

Nurse does not have arbitration rights.

I do think he’ll sign fairly soon though.

116. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear: Staying and covering HD area in WJC was beautiful.
    It is there.

We will knock that out of him in no time
    Make him chase someone to the boards while Caggula protects the HD area

117. square_wheels says:

bendelson,

I’m from Grimshaw, we go pretty hard as well

118. rickithebear says:

pts2pndr: Did you take into account one closes on the puck while the other backs in. Not a recipe for success but not realyall on Nurse. Just a different way of defending.

It is not on Nurse.
    It is coaching!

It is thier.

It drives me Crazy

I can’t help mysef

119. rickithebear says:

In every sport linear structure is the only way to defend.
    Support below by non puck control dpartner so outlet not eliminated.
    Linear defence of top HD area and force to perimeter at all cost.

Failed pressure is a 2 on 1 in 15-25% shot success area. Open shot almost always a goal.

120. Primetime says:

OriginalPouzar: You are probably right, however a player can only file for arbitration once so there is the possibility that Strome is saving it for next year.

I do think he’ll sign fairly soon though.

Your comment made me realize I really don’t know much about the arbitration process, so I read up on it. I believe that a club may only take a player to arbitration one time in their career, however, a player may elect to go to arbitration as many times as they are eligible.

Typically one would only elect for arbitration if initial negotiations are far apart, which is why I suspect Strome and the Oilers are probably in the same ballpark. Others would likely elect for arbitration “just in case” even if they haven’t really started negotiating seriously (would think this is the case with Lindholm and Calgary).

The interesting one is Stone. Are they that far apart in negotiations, or does he just not trust Melnyk at all?(I wouldn’t). If he asks for a 2 year award and it is too rich for Ottawa, he will become a UFA after 1 year if Sens walk away. Can’t imagine Ottawa wouldn’t accept the 2 year award…they have to pay someone to get to the cap floor if they trade everyone else away. If Duchene doesn’t care about winning, he is also likely to get a massive contract to stay so they don’t look as bad with what they gave up to get him.

121. bendelson says:

square_wheels:
    bendelson,

I’m from Grimshaw, we go pretty hard as well

Mile Zero! I have no doubt SW…
    I know the Shaftesbury Trail well.

122. Andy Dufresne says:

Wilde:
    SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

I wrote a long answer to this, but the page died so it’s gone.

I know you’re soft-trolling, but John Chayka became GM in summer 2016.

I don’t like his work too much either, but this critique’s weak.

You are correct. I was soft trolling….sorry you lost your work.

Just like to point out once in a while that there are many teams that suffer from similar maladies as we have in the past. Helps maintain perspective. IMO

The critique is in fact weak…….but there is some truth to it. Arizona is failing at developing many of its higher draft picks and its roster is very top heavy with players from outside the organization.

123. pts2pndr says:

rickithebear: In every sport linear structure is the only way to defend.
    Support below by non puck control dpartner so outlet not eliminated.
    Linear defence of top HD area and force to perimeter at all cost.

Love the bear posts! Thanks!

124. Scungilli Slushy says:

Richard S.S.:
    Canadian Team Players are under a microscope, nonstop and relentless.They can’t go anywhere with being recognized.

Some Players thrive with the attention, some can accept the attention, some people struggle with the attention, while others will do everything possible to avoid it.Playing in Canada cost the team more, costs the Player more, costs his family more.Some don’t want the attention.

The athletes in the big pro sports that are rabidly popular in the US seem to be able to handle the pressure.

I think being a winner is the bottom line, and the Oilers haven’t taken that step yet. I don’t want players that can’t handle being in a hockey town, or are seeking warm weather lifestyles. I want guys that will play a winter sport in a winter climate and want to play with the best.

125. --hudson-- says:

Wilde:
    **CC: PROFESSOR Q AND ANY OTHER LONDONERS HERE**

——————————————————————————————————–

Ryan Pyette

Verified account

@RyanatLFPress

——————————————————————————————————-

Crazy imo that they wouldn’t play in the AHL. We’d love to play Bouchard in the AHL since he’s already put up two solid seasons in a row, but can’t because of the CHL agreement. Boqvist is supposed to be the better player, what is he going to prove/learn in junior?

126. Dicky94 says:

With Weber out until December , Chia should be pushing one of Sekera or Russell on them if they would wave their nmc.

127. OriginalPouzar says:

rickithebear: It is not on Nurse.
    It is coaching!

It is thier.

It drives me Crazy

I can’t help mysef

Player A – Defending the blue line and zone entries with good gap control

Play B – poor gap control and easily giving up the zone

This is coaching?

128. OriginalPouzar says:

Primetime: Your comment made me realize I really don’t know much about the arbitration process, so I read up on it.I believe that a club may only take a player to arbitration one time in their career, however, a player may elect to go to arbitration as many times as they are eligible.

Typically one would only elect for arbitration if initial negotiations are far apart, which is why I suspect Strome and the Oilers are probably in the same ballpark.Others would likely elect for arbitration “just in case” even if they haven’t really started negotiating seriously (would think this is the case with Lindholm and Calgary).

Thank you for the clarification/correction.

I’m not so sure on Lindholm – from accounts, he is looking for $5M plus and contract demands were a main reason he was traded.

129. OriginalPouzar says:

–hudson–: Crazy imo that they wouldn’t play in the AHL.We’d love to play Bouchard in the AHL since he’s already put up two solid seasons in a row, but can’t because of the CHL agreement.Boqvist is supposed to be the better player, what is he going to prove/learn in junior?

I don’t know about “supposed to be the better player”.

I think its more accurate to say has the potential to have a more dynamic offensive game.

Its also fairly accepted (I think) that Bouchard is one of the closer to NHL-ready of the draft class whereas Boquist is at least a few years away.

130. Paddy Morans Jockstrap says:

131. rickithebear says:

Dicky94:

F…………..

132. Pretendergast says:

Paddy Morans Jockstrap,

how do you know we are so unnatractive for a coveted spot in the nhl, youre just a jockstrap

133. Oilman99 says:

PennersPancakes: Damn. Zero risk, one year contract that could easily be buried to see if he can hit 20 goals again? How does he come in so low and Caggs get what he got?

Caggs has a compete level much higher than Duclaire. Oilers obviously believe Caggs can contribute offensively to some degree, and the guy does have good wheels.

134. Paddy Morans Jockstrap says:

Pretendergast:
    Paddy Morans Jockstrap,

135. Oilman99 says:

Paddy Morans Jockstrap: Your “fair” criticism also assumes that every player you view as a miss actually wanted to play in one of the least attractive markets in the league.

136. Primetime says:

OriginalPouzar: Thank you for the clarification/correction.

Yeah, heard the same. Just can’t imagine Treliving trades for the guy without having some idea of what he wants and presumably believes it’s workable. Going to arbitration right off the bat is not a great way to start a relationship with a new team. That’s why I wondered if he elected to file more based on conversations with Carolina but optimistic with Calgary.
    If Chia had to take a recent pickup to arbitration before he ever played a game for the team , he would get roasted!

137. jp says:

Richard S.S.:
    ArmchairGM,

1) Bouchard will get nine games of that I’m sure.As a result, the 7th Defenseman is in the AHL.
    2) If he stays, the 7th D is actually the 8th or 9th D.
    4) If he doesn’t stay and doesn’t return or returns late in the season.The 7th D might be important.
    5) If he doesn’t make the Team, a 7th D could be important.

1) If Bouchard gets sent down he doesn’t come back. It’s not the AHL, you can’t shuttle players between NHL and CHL.
    2) 7th D really is important.
    3) 7th D isn’t quite as important as I thought though. I was thinking they usually get ~50 games, but actually checked to see. Only 1 team had 7 different D play 50 games last year.

On average 7D played 37 games and 8D played 23 games. I’d still like the most competent player there.

138. jp says:

Primetime:

You don’t think arbitration might save him from himself?

139. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Player A – Defending the blue line and zone entries with good gap control

Play B – poor gap control and easily giving up the zone

This is coaching?

Russell is coachable. Very, very coachable.

140. Dicky94 says:

rickithebear,

Fantastic?

141. rickithebear says:

Arm Chair Gm
    My research shows cups can be won with bottom 25, 29 gf reg season teams with a top GA team.
    But top GF teams cannot with GA teams ranked less than 14.

So Grevel shows top 10 HD performance in 2nd/3rd comp play.
    Exactly what gets you to the playoffs and conf/cup finals.

That is why I like him.
    Plus he now has his disease under control.
    And the strength to play at his full level again.

142. Andy Dufresne says:

Like a view of the inside workings of the draft.

Check out Scott Burnside at The Athletic

“Inside the war room with Tom Dundon and the Carolina Hurricanes”

143. Paddy Morans Jockstrap says:

Oilman99: What you want and what you get are two different things, just maybe Folin would rather play for an eastern conference team that gets to sleep in their own beds 90% of the time.

Sure travel is one of the negatives for EDM (and all other western teams).

144. Wilde says:

We’re still six weeks away from Boqvist turning 18… whereas Bouchard played the large majority of this season already being 18.

This will also be AB’s first season on smaller ice.

Juolevi was another late birthday who did the same thing.

Liljegren didn’t, but he was 40 lbs heavier than Boqvist at the same age, and taller. Boqvist is very much a project-type.

That being said, they should be confident enough in their AHL club to do what Toronto did and not send him to junior, but the AHL right away.

Also I don’t think this stops him from going to the AHL in 2018-19, could be wrong.

145. Wilde says:

Karlsson to Tampa is done?

146. Wilde says:

Shawn Simpson

@TSNSimmer
    5m
    5 minutes ago

My NHL sources tell me a Karlsson deal to Tampa is done, pending a call with the league office. @TSN1200

I’ll guess Ryan + Callahan/Johnson + picks to NYR, Karlsson to TBY, Cal Foote + picks + Gourde to OTT

147. Primetime says:

jp: You don’t think arbitration might save him from himself?

Good point,

There should be an independent arbitrator in the room for all his contracts and major trades.

148. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Wilde,

– I think recency bias is clouding your judgement on ourbwonger and theirs.

– last year has no bearing on next. I bet our wingers score more than theirs next year. Book it

149. Wilde says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    Wilde,

Book it

Will do.

150. Primetime says:

Wilde:
    Karlsson to Tampa is done?

I hope so.

It will set off all the other major dominos and we can finally move into summer:
    – Carolina will move out Faulk to anyone who feels like they missed out on a offensive RHD
    – Move Skinner at the same time
    – Patches and Maroon follow soon to those who miss out on Skinner

151. rickithebear says:

jp: Russell is coachable. Very, very coachable.

What gap control.
    You press the blue.
    It is chipped behind you.
    By players with more directional speed.
    Not dumped in the corner to be fought for.

Zone entry standard has been established by running NZ trap with forwards.
    Then we can talk about gap control.

The game is a lot faster.
    The baseline performance of the speed game has elevated dramatically.

Russel has COrsi against numbers in 40-52/60 range with HD d partners.
    Larsson, Sekera, Benning, Auvitu.
    Loose ships 54-65/60:
    Klefbom, Nurse, bear.

I know what I seez.

And the math seez it too.

152. OriginalPouzar says:

rickithebear: Sure we can score 275 goals to maybe make the playoffs this year with this roster.

F…………..

Kris Russell had negative possession metrics, a negative goal share and his relative metrics were acutely negative.

This was partially, I’m sure, due to being put in a position to fail (on the right side and in the top 4 on the right side), however, the team gives up more than it gets with him on the ice and to a greater degree with him on the ice than off.

He defends the high danger areas, sure, but he is a large part of the reason why the puck is near those areas – allowing easy access to the zone, inability to maintain possession when he does get the puck, etc.

153. Wilde says:

———————————————————————————————–

Elliotte Friedman

Verified account

@FriedgeHNIC

Getting denials on a Karlsson trade….we’ll just have to let things play out

7:45 PM – 5 Jul 2018

————————————————————————————————

OH WILL WE?!!!

154. OriginalPouzar says:

Primetime: Yeah, heard the same. Just can’t imagine Treliving trades for the guy without having some idea of what he wants and presumably believes it’s workable.Going to arbitration right off the bat is not a great way to start a relationship with a new team.That’s why I wondered if he elected to file more based on conversations with Carolina but optimistic with Calgary.

Agreed – arbitration is from, many accounts, a brutal process – with that said, the vast majority of arbitration filing cases get settled well before the hearing. I don’t imagine Lindholm’s hearing ever happens.

155. Primetime says:

You know the best part of both Tavares and Karlsson going to the power teams in the Atlantic? Only one of the teams can make it out of the division! Someone is going to have a loaded team and not even get to the conference finals! It’s the Smythe Division all over again!

I hope every high-priced free agent signs in that division…the winner of the Pacific (hopefully the Oil) can slide in and clean up the shrapnel for the Stanley Cup!

156. Richard S.S. says:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is an ideal LW to Connor McDavid’s Center. He is an added bonus as he’s a good enough Center in his own right to be the Centre on Line One or Line Two if necessary. Until the Oilers find a young, better, faster cheaper upgrade for LW, Ryan’s staying.

Oilers hope Jesse Puljujarvi wins the RW job in Training Camp/Presesaon Games. Otherwise the Oilers are gambling on Ty Rattie to be as good as the Oilers thinks he can be. Tobias Rieder may get time with McDavid. Hopefully the Oilers finds something that works well.

157. Biggus Dickus says:

Primetime:
    You know the best part of both Tavares and Karlsson going to the power teams in the Atlantic?Only one of the teams can make it out of the division!Someone is going to have a loaded team and not even get to the conference finals!It’s the Smythe Division all over again!

158. Scungilli Slushy says:

Paddy Morans Jockstrap: Not my opinion or indicative of my own feelings – surveys of players on preferred NHL destinations has EDM and WPG at the bottom every time.

A year old and:
    “Edmonton places second on ESPN’s list, but its success this season may remove the team from future lists. Before this season Edmonton mired in the NHL basement despite having numerous first overall draft picks. Rounding out the top three, the Islanders may make this list based on its lack of success, uncertain ownership issues, and unpopular arena location.

Residence and fans of the above cities shouldn’t fret. It’s no coincidence that this list omits successful teams. Players seem to want to go to winners regardless of locale. A couple of playoff performances should change players’ views very quickly.”

159. Alpine says:

Biggus Dickus: I don’t think TO has improved that much after havinf los JVR. Yes they improved, but it wasn’t like Demarcus cousins over Javale McGee.

JVR only scores goals and that’s it. Tavares scores just as many goals and makes guys like Josh Bailey and Anders Lee score more points and goals respectively. JVR isn’t a huge loss at all when Tavares can zoom Nylander to 80 points or Kapanen to 50.

160. VOR says:

bendelson: Mile Zero!I have no doubt SW…
    I know the Shaftesbury Trail well.

bendelson: Mile Zero!I have no doubt SW…
    I know the Shaftesbury Trail well.

I learned to drive on the Shaftesbury Trail.

161. Melvis says:

Bendelson and Stephen Sheps:

-As much as I wanted to get back to you on cultural minutiae, barbecue protocol and watchfullness prevailed, otherwise known as “meats don’t fail me now”. And now I’m just too lazy.

-Carnivore diet. Meh.That isn’t going to last. Right now, I’m salivating over the thought of a half inch of peanut butter lathering a thick slice of white paired with a tall glass of ice cold milk.

-Those slagging Edmonton have overlooked that high culture icon known as the West Edmonton Mall.

162. VOR says:

The problem with Ricki’s Where is Waldo game is that a lot of guys he claims as Ricki box defencemen went a roving far from Ricki’s box, leaving their partners at home minding the store.

As an example imagine arbitrarily freezing the action all those years ago. What you see is a languid goaltender possibly using his stick to prop himself up while he sleeps. Ricki’s box is being guarded by a defenceman who was a dazzling skater until he broke both ankles and lost 2 and 1/2 years of his career. Now he doesn’t skate anywhere unless the risk/reward ratio is massively in his favour.

So where is Waldo? The answers are many.

Waldo is a notorious headhunter. He loves the big hit. He doesn’t narrow the gap, he vaporizes it, taking away all time and space. Waldo is of the position that if you never allow a zone entry the other team is going to find it hard to score.

Waldo loves to jump into the rush. If the puck doesn’t stay in your end the other team is going to find it hard to score so Waldo likes to chase down the puck carrier, cripple him, take the puck and head man it. Then he joins the rush.

Oh and it is possible Waldo isn’t in the frame because he has dropped his gloves and is beating the shit out of someone. Waldo is one of the best fighters in hockey history.

Now according to Ricki none of this other stuff Waldo does matters because it takes him out of the box.

On this blog Ricki has referred to the Waldo I am describing as one of the greatest HD dmen of all time. Whereas the Waldo in question has said he always thought the key was to never let the other team have possession of the puck in your end. His amazing ability to deny the other team sustained possession made this wandering Waldo into a legitimate contender for the greatest defender of all time.

Larry Robinson proves how useless frozen frame video analysis is for hockey. He wouldn’t be in most Ricki box pictures because he was out on the road winning hockey games.

So the question isn’t Where is Waldo, it is What is Waldo Doing?

163. Professor Q says:

They also wore it during the 1970s.

164. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Galchenyuk, Alex

Grabner, MichaelM-NTC

Krüger, MarcusRSM-NTC

Pánik, Richard

Richardson, BradNMC

Cousins, Nick

And in an organization who has been drafting high for six years now.

Is this guy the worst GM in the NHL?!

The fact that you didn’t mention Keller, Dvorak, or Perlini tells me you don’t know who is playing for ARI.

The fact that you didn’t mention Bolland was a LTIR salary dump by FLA, has never played a game for ARI (never will) and that ARI got Crouse as payment tells me you don’t know who is playing for ARI.

165. "Steve Smith" says:

In case anybody is wondering, I am fairly indifferent as to this afternoon’s World Cup game.