Drive

How many 20-goal scorers are on the current Oilers roster? Three? Let’s say three. Let’s say Connor McDavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl all score 20+, and let’s further assume the trio scores 90+ goals between them. That’s a handsome start. The Oilers problem is everything that comes after that, and this team badly needs a youngster to emerge plus improved secondary scoring. Starting in four months.

THE ATHLETIC!

Give The Athletic as a gift or get it yourself and join the fun! Offer is here, less than $5 a month! I find myself reading both the hockey (Willis, Dellow, Pronman, et cetera) and the baseball coverage a lot, it’s a pure pleasure to visit. We’ll sell you the whole seat, but you’ll only need the edge.

WHO WILL STEP UP?

I don’t think it’s reasonable to project the current Oilers as a playoff team, so it’s fair to examine areas of possible growth for 2019-20. If the club can find some additional scoring, that might allow them to push for the postseason as early as the spring, with an eye to entering next summer as a legit playoff contender. Here are my scoring projections.

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins [25]—Connor McDavid [40]—Ty Rattie [15]
  • Tobias Rieder [15]—Leon Draisaitl [27]—Jesse Puljujarvi [18]
  • Milan Lucic [12]—Ryan Strome [15]—Drake Caggiula [9]
  • Jujhar Khaira [7]Kyle Brodziak [8]—Zack Kassian [7]
  • Pontus Aberg [3]—Brad Malone [3]
  • Oscar Klefbom [8]—Adam Larsson [2]
  • Andrej Sekera [4]—Kris Russell [2]
  • Darnell Nurse [5]—Matt Benning [6]
  • Keegan Lowe [1]
  • Cam Talbot—Mikko Koskinen

I count 80 goals from the No. 1 line (matches Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl a year ago), 60 from the No. 2 line (Lucic-Nuge-JP scored 46 a year ago), 36 from the No. 3 line (in 2017-18, 37 from Khaira-Strome-Caggiula), and 22 from the No. 4 line (19 from Cammalleri-Letestu-Kassian). There are always extra forwards, and of course defensemen, so the GF above compare to last season like this:

• Forward goals projected: 204 (forwards scored 197 one year ago)
  • Defense goals projected: 28 (defense scored 32 last season)

I have the Oilers scoring three more goals next season and I haven’t drilled down yet on all of the minutiae involving special teams (I will do it in the days to come). The Oilers are running in place unless someone breaks out, and by that I mean Jesse Puljujarvi or Kailer Yamamoto. That’s the bet if the team enters camp in this configuration. For me, it’s the right call. I don’t know if the coaching staff and management group will make it through December, but for the organization mortgaging the future with a very thin prospect pipeline is a poor bet. It’s time to give the draft picks 500 at-bats and see how they shine.

SHOTS PER 60 NHL FORWARDS

Edmonton’s skill lines need foot speed among the new wingers and shooters who are involved a lot in the offense. Jesse Puljujarvi shows very well in 5-on-5 shots per 60 from 2017-18 (via NaturalStatTrick):

1. Jesse Puljujarvi 9.27
  2. Connor McDavid 9.21
  3. Pontus Aberg 8.40
  4. Ty Rattie 7.46
  5. Anton Slepyshev 7.14
  6. Leon Draisaitl 6.98

JP didn’t cash enough of these shots (this is 5-on-5, his shooting percentage in the discipline was 7.94) but he was damned active. His final Sm-Liiga season he shot 175 pucks in 50 games (3.5 shots per game) and he averaged 2.86 shots per game in the AHL. JP is the man to fill the shooting role based on the numbers. Kailer Yamamoto averaged 2.78 shots per game in the WHL this past season, he’s the other candidate we should be monitoring.

STILL AVAILABLE

• R Wayne Simmonds, Philadelphia Flyers. One of my favorite players.
  • L Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes. Speed merchant and a born scorer.
  • L Max Pacioretty, Montreal Canadiens. Talented scorer.
  • R Josh Leivo, Toronto Maple Leafs. Talented winger never plays.
  • LC Zack Smith, Ottawa Senators. One of a few No. 4C options.
  • RD Dylan Demolo, San Jose Sharks. A nice fit, surprised he’s availab
  • LD Brandon Davidson, Edmonton Oilers. I still like him despite the wobble.

CURRENT 50-MAN LIST

Evan Bouchard has yet to sign, he’ll be a slide but could emerge as a legit option for opening night. There’s plenty of room, I expect we’ll hear about Jason Chimera, Scottie Upshall or Lance Bouma. The smart play would have been Anthony Duclair.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A brief show beginning at 10:30 this morning, we’re squeezed between the two World Cup games. Paul Almeida will drop by to talk soccer and we might have an Erik Karlsson update. TSN1260, text 10-1260, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

244 Responses to "Drive"

« Older Comments
  1. jm363561 says:

rickithebear:
    4.9M in cap w/ bonus potential somebody got to go!

Yep. My guess is there is a deal for Lucic that will allow Nurse to be signed and either a vet winger or 7D comes in.

I believe I read a 7D plays, on average, 35 games. Gravel? Bear? Lowe? Bouchard? No Gryba, Simpson, or Davidson? Sekera / Klefbom health? Someone has to be coming in or we are flying on a wing and a prayer.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Richard S.S.:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Upon signing his contract with the Oilers, Milan said his job was to protect Connor McDavid (or something very close).I’m very sure Peter mentioned it to him as a reason he was signing him.As for other players getting career injuries with Milan on the ice, what were his instructions when hired?

What does it matter what anyone instructed or did not instruct Lucic to do – he was on the ice, not just in the lineup but on the ice, when these incidents happened – his presence did not deter anyone from doing anything.

3. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: So he doesn’t prevent injuries?

They created the soccer spray from his sweat. But prevent injuries no

4. square_wheels says:

Woodguy v2.0: Injuries in the NHL that result from a sketchy play are not common.

The most common is hitting the head and hitting from behind near the boards.

I find the response to deliberate attempts to injure are no longer often or excessive enough. I miss the old days of Semenko punching guys into next year when they came near Gretz, but given that’s no longer acceptable the Nyquist response to Spurgeon hitting him from behind is a completely acceptable response. In fact, I’d like to see a few more face slashing when guys routinely pull shenanigan’s that should get them beat to a pulp.

Stick work and hits from behind should gets a response in my rec league, but then again I PAY to play.

Maybe I’m just a lunatic from Northern Alberta.

5. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0: So he doesn’t prevent injuries?

It’s impossible to say. This must be obvious.

Injuries from shithead behaviour still happen. But how do you measure whether the happen more or less frequently with a threat on the ice? And obviously the effect of a deterrent threat is going to vary amongst the individual shitheads.

But certainly because an injury happened is not a proof that deterrents don’t work. Not by any logical system anyways.

There are players wary of physical play without the damn nuclear deterrents. even at the NHL level. We all know this. So obviously physicality has some effect.

Lucic is also there for swagger. Ie your own players willingness to mix it up.

I know I’m responding to your post, WG, but really I mean this comment in general to the ongoing discussion.

6. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0: So he doesn’t prevent injuries?

No, I don’t think anyone can of course. As you said most serious injuries are from high hits and boarding. And kneeing but the league seems to care about that more. Except Getzlaf on Sekera.

I assume you get what I mean by running around. I think players and teams will take any advantage available and if you can be basically bullied they’ll try it at times, or always depending on the team.

Ideally a team has players that can take care of themselves so no need for heavyweights. I hope JP becomes a player that teams don’t think they can mess with without some payback. Not fighting but more that he would use his immense physicality if pushed.

Or just be mean back somehow. It happens, I feel a team needs to be able to handle it, especially in the playoffs nobody wants to go down without a fight if they have any jam, and I think soon the Oilers will be the more skilled team against many.

7. Woodguy v2.0 says:

bendelson,

Sir, you are a fine human.

Bendelson just dropped off:

1) full 26oz of Grey Goose due to me winning a bet

2) most of a 26oz of Red Breast 12yr Cask Strength that he bought me after I did him a solid last year, but left it at his house because I wasn’t exactly sober when I left his house that night

3) about half of a bottle of Nikka Whisky, which is sublime.

Fucking Bendelson.

So awesome.

8. Scungilli Slushy says:

square_wheels: I find the response to deliberate attempts to injure are no longer often or excessive enough.I miss the old days of Semenko punching guys into next year when they came near Gretz, but given that’s no longer acceptable the Nyquist response to Spurgeon hitting him from behind is a completely acceptable response. In fact, I’d like to see a few more face slashing when guys routinely pull shenanigan’s that should get them beat to a pulp.

Maybe I’m just a lunatic from Northern Alberta.

If the league decided to protect it’s marquee players (and of course all players) it wouldn’t be an issue but change is hard even with pending, mounting litigation.

The best will always face stronger challenges because coaches and players want to stay in the show. Still leagues can decide whether that looks like.

9. Scungilli Slushy says:

Watching the Belgium match replay, what a fine team. Structure, effort, skill and attack. I hope that for the Oilers. Soon.

10. Chris says:

Maybe I’m just a lunatic from Northern Alberta.

11. Gerta Rauss says:

Scungilli Slushy:

I’m fairly indifferent to today’s result

12. Westchester Oil says:

Hey Jethro Tull – in case you’re online – and other music fans,

I’m in Ottawa at the moment just outside the stadium for their Bluesfest listening to the real Jethro Tull – part of their 50th anniversary tour. Amazing how long some of these bands have been around.

13. Wilde says:

Scungilli Slushy: I thought think the Horton hit lost the Dys the series. Vignault always has chippy dirty teams. After that it turned into a brawl which played into Boston’s game, and Lucic ended up destroying Hamhuis I think it was with a hard charging clean hit.

The Dys gave up the skill advantage and played into a tougher team’s game, that still has skill. Sure Thomas had to be put out with an extinguisher after games, but that’s playoff hockey.

You can see Chia trying to do it again, play any game you want to bring. But back to truculence the truculents need to play in that framework or there is no point having them.

Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tom Thimas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tom Thimos Tim Thomas Tom Thimas Tim Thomas Tom Thimas Tom Thimas Yim Yhomas Rhom Thimas Wom THimos Who Fimus Fingdfs dsaff fdsfda wfg fdsg
    dfagdsfa ddas fdfsa fdf ghfds dsdsafs adafe dsfdsafdsasdf sdfasdg er qdfdsagg fgdag vvre e

14. Wilde says:

Also currently doing homework that shows my evidence for Ryan Strome as a ‘carriable’ player, should be done soon-ish

Was waiting for the term on the contract to be finalised – two years is perfect for the strategy to run Strome as 1RW for the first half of the season.

15. Wilde says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Mr. Guy,

Is there Woodmoneys for seasons prior to 16-17?

16. pts2pndr says:

Chris: I’m with you here. I think players that snap every once in a while, like a stick to the front teeth, gain a reputation of having a screw loose. Can you get under his skin? Sure. The question is, do you want to?

See Mark Messier!

17. digger50 says:

Wilde:

I like Strome at #1 RW. I think it’s a smart move.

18. digger50 says:

Last year with all the muscle Peter put into the line up – I watched Matt Benning battle a whole game above his weight class. Nobody helped. That was a sign of a weak team.

Thing is , guys like Looch set the standard of not taking any crap. Once that standard is set it’s up to everybody to meet it. If that means Nuge getting into it because he has his teammates back, then you have success. Doesn’t matter if they win, so long as you answer the bell. But it’s not about fighting. Looch called it swagger. Whatever you want to call it, you need it.

And Todd is a barrier to this.

19. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Hey Darcy,

If/When we get together when I’m back to visit in August, we should invite Bendelson. Seems like a stand-up sort.

Also that cask strength Red Breast is the goods. I’d stack that particular Irish malt up against many of its more popular Scottish cousins.

20. stephen sheps says:

Gerta Rauss,

Wow! That’s a serious and obscure oldschool lowetide reference. I was cleaning up my bookmarks bar about 6 months ago – I’m fairly indifferent to Belgium was one of the bookmarks that had to go. I barely remember the origin of that one, only that it existed.

21. Scungilli Slushy says:

Wilde: Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tom Thimas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tim Thomas Tom Thimos Tim Thomas Tom Thimas Tim Thomas Tom Thimas Tom Thimas Yim Yhomas Rhom Thimas Wom THimos Who Fimus Fingdfs dsafffdsfda wfg fdsgdfagdsfa ddasfdfsa fdf ghfds dsdsafs adafe dsfdsafdsasdf sdfasdg er qdfdsagg fgdag vvre e

Did you watch it in the moment? I saw a definite momentum change, and hockey is 50% luck and the rest goalering, and then the last 50% is skill skill. 🙂

IMO one play galvanized a team ready to go down. The Dys were a more skilled team with a great goalie.

No team wins without goaltending in hockey, the Canucks had the best goalie in the league and over-reacted to a few plays. Luongo got sewered in the media, and the rest followed, Sound familiar? (Team wise, Talbot deserved all criticism start last season, he was bad. I mean the team).

To top it off they then said he was gone and then traded his backup Schneider. Bad things happen when a team behaves that way, and they did happen.

I think part of PC’s choices reflect the Mickey Mouse things from after Sather and before himself, trying to restore the backside rep of the org.

22. Scungilli Slushy says:

Gerta Rauss: I’m fairly indifferent to today’s result

stephen sheps:
    Gerta Rauss,

Heh? You smrt folks be too smrt!

23. OriginalPouzar says:

digger50: I like Strome at #1 RW.I think it’s a smart move.

I’m still not sure what happened last year.

They talked alot in the off-season about Strome getting a chance at 1RW and they started him there in camp but, after 2 preseason games, switched him away, essentially never to be seen in the top 6 again.

Strome played 56 even strength minutes with McDavid and, although maybe the sample size is too small to read in to it at all, they had sparkling numbers, possession and goal share.

24. digger50 says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m still not sure what happened last year.

I do admit he was better at center last year.

Still, settling in to a new team, confidence is up, I think he is the best option at 1RW.

It’s best for the top six.

But may not be best for the overall roster deployment.

25. stephen sheps says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Icecastles (very old timey poster) made a blog. It’s very much of its time.
    The meme still lives on.

26. Gerta Rauss says:

stephen sheps,

lol

Steve Smith mentioned it in the last thread

If that’s his real name

27. pts2pndr says:

Lowetide: The Oilers haven’t had an elite team under Chiarelli.

Would it not be fair to say that the overall health of the franchise is much improved since Chiarelli took over. Would it also be fair to say that the old boys club had much to do with the two moves that Chiarelli has taken the heat for! McLellan was inherited by Chiarelli. I believe Chiarelli to be a class individual!
    With this having been said I can still not believe that with the apparent disconnect between coach and GM the only personel change was with the assistant coaching staff. What am I missing?

28. stephen sheps says:

Gerta Rauss,

Ha! I must’ve missed that. Still, it was a very well placed/timed reference. Nicely done.

29. Jethro Tull says:

Westchester Oil:
    Hey Jethro Tull – in case you’re online – and other music fans,

I’m always watching……

Lol, sounds like an awesome time!

30. VOR says:

In September of 1992 I was in Mouth of Wilson.

Mouth of Wilson is in the mid-Appalachians in Virginia. On the edge of this little community is a hill, Oak Hill. Now in 1992 nobody had heard of Oak Hill. But since 1924 it has been home to an innovative private school, Oak Hill Academy.

A lot of bright people who’ve made the world a better place have passed through Oak Hill Academy. But in 1992 most Americans had no idea the school existed. Never mind having heard of Mouth of Wilson – the school is properly Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson).

Then in 1992 everything changed. One of the most incredible incubators of basketball talent in history emerged at Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson). In the years since 21 NBA players have graduated from Oak Hill and it is an all star team. Then there are the numerous team members who passed through on their way to the NBA but didn’t graduate like Kevin Durant.

So what happened in the fall of 1992 that lead to that first national title the following spring? And what does it have to do with the Oilers?

31. flyfish1168 says:

pts2pndr: Would it not be fair to say that the overall health of the franchise is much improved since Chiarelli took over. Would it also be fair to say that the old boys club had much to do with the two moves that Chiarelli has taken the heat for!McLellan was inherited by Chiarelli. I believe Chiarelli to be a class individual!
    With this having been said I can still not believe that with the apparent disconnect between coach andGM the only personel change was with the assistant coaching staff. What am I missing?

PC is a class individual but:

PC did not inherit TMac
    PC was hired 24 April 2015
    TMac was hired 19 May 2015

If PC is hired as general manager and president of hockey operations. So he is responsible for the Reinhardt trade and Hall trade period. Doesn’t matter if some of the OLD BOYS Club was in his ear. Yes, he has done some nice things. 1) Drafting 2) RHD 3) Goalie Depth 4)Team toughness & heavy hockey. But he has also done some damage to the organization. 1) Contracts 2) Downgraded overall team skill 3) Team Depth 4) Team flexibility with CAP space. The damage he has done is greater than his positive achievements with the team. JMHO

32. VOR says:

This year Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson) has three more likely future NBA players. Others are working through college on track to play pro.

33. jtblack says:

stephen sheps:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Hey Darcy,

I dont drink Whiskey and still want to attend.

34. VOR says:

So let me tell you what wasn’t involved in the birth of this great sports incubator.

There was no significant change in coaching.
    There was no dominant future super star – the first future NBA player would graduate in 1998.
    There was no extensive scouting – these kids decided all on their own to attend Oak Hill.

35. Mustard Tiger says:

VOR,

You have my undivided attention. Please go on

36. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Wilde:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Mr. Guy,

Is there Woodmoneys for seasons prior to 16-17?

I have a data from 15/16

37. Woodguy v2.0 says:

stephen sheps:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Hey Darcy,

Good plan.

Bendelson is solid, as is the whiskey.

38. OriginalPouzar says:

Is PuckIQ going to have updated (17/18) numbers at any point?

39. 106 and 106 says:

Remember when the Oilers had two centres and “a bunch of mud?”

4 Centres Not Punching Above Their Weight:

McDavid (elite 1C)
    Drai (above average 2C)
    Strome (replacement level 3C)
    Brodziak (replacement level 4C)

Backup: RNH (average 2C).

Great building down the middle.

40. VOR says:

Sorry, was suddenly quite ill last night,still shaky this AM.

At Oak Hill in the fall of 1992 they realized 2 things.

1. They could use video cameras and computers as a coaching tool.

2, They could do off court brain training that would improve on court performance.

It is important to note that this also came in the context of putting basketball at the heart of their school culture.

Ever since Oak Hill has been innovating. Though of course eventually it becomes self fulfilling. Kids who believe they are NBA bound convince their parents Oak Hill is where they have to go to school. More kids go from Oak Hill to the NBA. More kids want in and so on and on.

When I was there in 1992 this process had already started. Oak Hill was already producing college players in profusion. They were using metrics. Anybody who has seen SportsLogiq data knows the level of detail Oak Hill had reached.

41. VOR says:

I have just been reading a fascinating book called The Performance Cortex. It is uneven. Sometimes it is a weighty scientific tome capable of guaranteeing a good night’s sleep. At other times it turns into gossipy sports fan writing and loses all contact with science. That said The Performance Cortex should be required reading for anybody interested in scouting, player development, and coaching. It walks a patient reader through all the ways neuroscience is changing sport.

The connection to Oak Hill is quite straightforward. The first place neuroscience was used in player training was Oak Hill. Just one tiny item in their decades long commitment to innovation.

42. VOR says:

One of the best parts of The Performance Cortex is that it makes it clear what a nuclear arms race innovation in baseball has become. Two obscure neuroscientists present at Sloan talking about brain activity in hitting a baseball. Within a year 26 different MLB teams have hired them to consult.

And that is with no certainty they can even help.

43. VOR says:

Oak Hill goes on innovating even though it may not actually have any impact on their success.

Now why would major like baseball teams and a cradle of NBA imminence both keep chasing the latest thing?

Because in tiny improvements lyour competition doesn’t make lie success.

Hockey remains in the dark ages relative to baseball and basketball. Which just means there is a great opportunity for an NHL team that chooses to enter the modern world.

Why not the Oilers. They talk the talk. Remember Peter’s “we need to play faster”. A key conclusion fromThe Performance Cortex is “playing” faster is about your brain processing faster (or starting earlier) and that your brain can be taught to do that.

So here is the Oilers chance to walk the walk. Bring in Joan Vickers and here quiet eye tracking equipment and team and start innovating. Less grit more brain power.

44. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Is PuckIQ going to have updated (17/18) numbers at any point?

One day.